Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I can't cook English Toffee syrup on my electric stove withoutburning it on the cooking pot!

So I am going to retire KutheChocolates.COM, as English Toffee WAS my flagship product! :-(

Oh well, it was a great 40 year tradition! But all traditions must end. :-(

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Former KutheChocolates.com Proprietor!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/19 5:20 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
> So I am going to retire KutheChocolates.COM, as English Toffee WAS my flagship product! :-(
>
> Oh well, it was a great 40 year tradition! But all traditions must end. :-(
>
> John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Former KutheChocolates.com Proprietor!

induction cooktop or new cooking pot solves your problem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 12:24:19 PM UTC-10, ZZyXX wrote:
> On 12/8/19 5:20 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
> > So I am going to retire KutheChocolates.COM, as English Toffee WAS my flagship product! :-(
> >
> > Oh well, it was a great 40 year tradition! But all traditions must end. :-(
> >
> > John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Former KutheChocolates.com Proprietor!
> >

> induction cooktop or new cooking pot solves your problem

I'm thinking that a pot with a nonstick surface might work swell. An induction cooktop would probably work. My induction burners are awfully great at controlling temperature. I've been cooking rice on my stovetop and it's just wonderful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ZZyXX wrote:
> On 12/8/19 5:20 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
>> So I am going to retire KutheChocolates.COM, as English Toffee WAS
>> my flagship product! :-(
>>
>> Oh well, it was a great 40 year tradition! But all traditions must
>> end. :-(
>>
>> John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Former KutheChocolates.com
>> Proprietor!
>>

> induction cooktop or new cooking pot solves your problem

You really think a kitchen utensil can help him?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> So I am going to retire KutheChocolates.COM, as English Toffee WAS my
> flagship product! :-(
>
> Oh well, it was a great 40 year tradition! But all traditions must end.
> :-(
>
> John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Former KutheChocolates.com Proprietor!

Can't you turn the heat down? I can make it on mine!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hank Rogers" > wrote in message
> ZZyXX wrote:
>> On 12/8/19 5:20 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
>>> So I am going to retire KutheChocolates.COM, as English Toffee WAS my
>>> flagship product! :-(
>>>
>>> Oh well, it was a great 40 year tradition! But all traditions must end.
>>> :-(
>>>
>>> John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Former KutheChocolates.com Proprietor!
>>>

>> induction cooktop or new cooking pot solves your problem

> You really think a kitchen utensil can help him?

I am thinking evil thoughts there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 6:46:41 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> Can't you turn the heat down? I can make it on mine!

If you have a smooth top range such as his you'd know that the temperature
cannot be controlled instantly like on a gas range. The glass top type
ranges hold heat for a long time. He'd have to resort to moving the pot
off and on the burner many times to control burning and scorching.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 6:46:41 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> > So I am going to retire KutheChocolates.COM, as English Toffee WAS my
> > flagship product! :-(
> >
> > Oh well, it was a great 40 year tradition! But all traditions must end.
> > :-(
> >
> > John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Former KutheChocolates.com Proprietor!

> Can't you turn the heat down? I can make it on mine!

Yep! I am used to maintaining a nice high rolling boil on a gas stove (which I have used very sucessfully for 30 years!) to get the Toffee syrup to over 300F, burt I guess as long as the syrup stays syrup...

I'm gonna try one more double batch at lowered temp on the burner! The hot electric burner is evidently a burner! Of my syrup! :-(

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 6:46:41 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message
>>> So I am going to retire KutheChocolates.COM, as English Toffee WAS my
>>> flagship product! :-(
>>>
>>> Oh well, it was a great 40 year tradition! But all traditions must end.
>>> :-(
>>>
>>> John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Former KutheChocolates.com Proprietor!

>> Can't you turn the heat down? I can make it on mine!

> Yep! I am used to maintaining a nice high rolling boil on a gas stove (which I have used very sucessfully for 30 years!) to get the Toffee syrup to over 300F, burt I guess as long as the syrup stays syrup...
>
> I'm gonna try one more double batch at lowered temp on the burner! The hot electric burner is evidently a burner! Of my syrup! :-(
>
> John Kuthe...

At least you ain't burning evil gas, even if the candy is no good.

Stick to that electric.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 5:24:09 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Toasting marshmallows takes forever with an electric, even longer with
> induction.
>
> Some cities are not allowing new gas installation now. Sucks, I'd not
> move there. Grew up with gas and really like it.

I grew up with gas too and it made our kitchen a hot, unpleasant, place to cook or be in. I did not care for it. Other problems were that the heat output seemed on the low side and the flame was difficult to control at low settings.

My favorite burner was on the range that we had in the 70's. The electric element glowed red and put out an awesome amount of heat. That kitchen was well ventilated so heat wasn't a problem. The induction range I have now doesn't put out any heat other than the heat radiating off the cooking surface.. The control over the heat output is awesome. I can cook a pot of rice with no scorching. That's a difficult thing to do on a gas range.

Induction has its own set of problems such as it limits your pan selection, hot spots, and the burners shutting down if your pan is too thin. If I was to get another range it would be an open element range or another induction range. Even I don't know the answer to that one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 6:46:41 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Can't you turn the heat down? I can make it on mine!
>>

> If you have a smooth top range such as his you'd know that the temperature
> cannot be controlled instantly like on a gas range. The glass top type
> ranges hold heat for a long time. He'd have to resort to moving the pot
> off and on the burner many times to control burning and scorching.

I hate the smooth top. My mom had one. Took forever to heat and forever to
cool down. And if the pan wasn't entirely flat on the bottom, a quick bump
could send it flying. Things I commonly made at home all the time had
entirely different cook times on that thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 8:20:32 AM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> So I am going to retire KutheChocolates.COM, as English Toffee WAS my flagship product! :-(
>
> Oh well, it was a great 40 year tradition! But all traditions must end. :-(
>
> John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Former KutheChocolates.com Proprietor!

And countless lives were saved.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 1:04:12 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> I grew up with gas too and it made our kitchen a hot, unpleasant, place to cook or be in. I did not care for it. Other problems were that the heat output seemed on the low side and the flame was difficult to control at low settings.

You grew up? I'm sorry! ;-)

> My favorite burner was on the range that we had in the 70's. The electric element glowed red and put out an awesome amount of heat. That kitchen was well ventilated so heat wasn't a problem. The induction range I have now doesn't put out any heat other than the heat radiating off the cooking surface. The control over the heat output is awesome. I can cook a pot of rice with no scorching. That's a difficult thing to do on a gas range.

Yep! :-)

> Induction has its own set of problems such as it limits your pan selection, hot spots, and the burners shutting down if your pan is too thin. If I was to get another range it would be an open element range or another induction range. Even I don't know the answer to that one.

"Induction" cooking is done with electricity, but NOT through a heating element, but rather the metal of your pan is INDUCED electrically to become THE heating element! I'm a EE, remember? :-)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 23:04:07 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 5:24:09 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> Toasting marshmallows takes forever with an electric, even longer with
>> induction.
>>
>> Some cities are not allowing new gas installation now. Sucks, I'd not
>> move there. Grew up with gas and really like it.

>I grew up with gas too and it made our kitchen a hot, unpleasant, place to cook or be in. I did not care for it. Other problems were that the heat output seemed on the low side and the flame was difficult to control at low settings.
>
>My favorite burner was on the range that we had in the 70's. The electric element glowed red and put out an awesome amount of heat. That kitchen was well ventilated so heat wasn't a problem. The induction range I have now doesn't put out any heat other than the heat radiating off the cooking surface. The control over the heat output is awesome. I can cook a pot of rice with no scorching. That's a difficult thing to do on a gas range.
>
>Induction has its own set of problems such as it limits your pan selection, hot spots, and the burners shutting down if your pan is too thin. If I was to get another range it would be an open element range or another induction range. Even I don't know the answer to that one.

How can you cook rice when you can't set line length?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> The induction range... I can cook a pot of rice with
> no scorching. That's a difficult thing to do on a gas range.

"Not really," said the wild, Hawaiian pig.

I've cooked rice on a gas stove all my adult life and I've
never scorched a pot. Seriously, never an issue. Just
follow package cooking directions.

For long grain rice as an example:
Bring 2 cups water (with a nip of salt) to a full boil.
Add in 1 cup rice, give it a quick stir then lid on.
Immediately start your timer for 20 minutes and turn down
the heat.

I lean down to look at the flame as I turn it down. I
go so low that the flame starts to flicker like it might
go off....then I turn it back up just a bit more to show
a steady very low flame.

After 20 minutes ding on my timer, I turn off the heat but
leave the pot covered and let it sit for a bit. A few
minutes or even up to an hour...no timing necessary there.

Eventually, while still hot, remove lid and fluff up with a
fork. Never fails

For other rice varieties, only the cooking time varies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> > So I am going to retire KutheChocolates.COM, as English Toffee WAS my
> > flagship product! :-(
> >
> > Oh well, it was a great 40 year tradition! But all traditions must end.
> > :-(
> >
> > John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Former KutheChocolates.com Proprietor!

> Can't you turn the heat down? I can make it on mine!

John just switched from gas to electric (I hope it wasn't a
glass top). He just needs to learn his new stove. All stoves
vary, just need to learn how to adjust the cooking times, etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> They are trying to ban gas here, even furnaces. This would mean people who
> have gas in their house would have to replace everything. Very expensive!

Extreme liberals in politics. Best thing to reduce using fossil
fuels and save the earth...ban cars. Good luck with that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 9:47:56 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:

> John just switched from gas to electric (I hope it wasn't a
> glass top). He just needs to learn his new stove. All stoves
> vary, just need to learn how to adjust the cooking times, etc.

Yes I got a glass top! Why is that a bad thing?

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 9:49:26 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > They are trying to ban gas here, even furnaces. This would mean people who
> > have gas in their house would have to replace everything. Very expensive!

> Extreme liberals in politics. Best thing to reduce using fossil
> fuels and save the earth...ban cars. Good luck with that.

Oh, IT WILL HAPPEN!! With our EXTINCTION!

Mother Gaia always wins! We don't!

Dipshit!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 3:24:51 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 23:04:07 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 5:24:09 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >
> >> Toasting marshmallows takes forever with an electric, even longer with
> >> induction.
> >>
> >> Some cities are not allowing new gas installation now. Sucks, I'd not
> >> move there. Grew up with gas and really like it.

> >I grew up with gas too and it made our kitchen a hot, unpleasant, place to cook or be in. I did not care for it. Other problems were that the heat output seemed on the low side and the flame was difficult to control at low settings.
> >
> >My favorite burner was on the range that we had in the 70's. The electric element glowed red and put out an awesome amount of heat. That kitchen was well ventilated so heat wasn't a problem. The induction range I have now doesn't put out any heat other than the heat radiating off the cooking surface. The control over the heat output is awesome. I can cook a pot of rice with no scorching. That's a difficult thing to do on a gas range.
> >
> >Induction has its own set of problems such as it limits your pan selection, hot spots, and the burners shutting down if your pan is too thin. If I was to get another range it would be an open element range or another induction range. Even I don't know the answer to that one.

> How can you cook rice when you can't set line length?

I don't set the line length. You newsreader is supposed to do that. Get a better newsreader. What kind of monkey does carriage returns in 2019? I only do carriage returns between paragraphs. This is as God wants. What are you? Some kind of commie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45wHe9KdmrQ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 4:01:29 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > The induction range... I can cook a pot of rice with
> > no scorching. That's a difficult thing to do on a gas range.

> "Not really," said the wild, Hawaiian pig.
>
> I've cooked rice on a gas stove all my adult life and I've
> never scorched a pot. Seriously, never an issue. Just
> follow package cooking directions.
>
> For long grain rice as an example:
> Bring 2 cups water (with a nip of salt) to a full boil.
> Add in 1 cup rice, give it a quick stir then lid on.
> Immediately start your timer for 20 minutes and turn down
> the heat.
>
> I lean down to look at the flame as I turn it down. I
> go so low that the flame starts to flicker like it might
> go off....then I turn it back up just a bit more to show
> a steady very low flame.
>
> After 20 minutes ding on my timer, I turn off the heat but
> leave the pot covered and let it sit for a bit. A few
> minutes or even up to an hour...no timing necessary there.
>
> Eventually, while still hot, remove lid and fluff up with a
> fork. Never fails
>
> For other rice varieties, only the cooking time varies.

My guess is you're cooking long grain rice. I could probably cook that stuff without scorching.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 9:47:56 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
>
> > John just switched from gas to electric (I hope it wasn't a
> > glass top). He just needs to learn his new stove. All stoves
> > vary, just need to learn how to adjust the cooking times, etc.

> Yes I got a glass top! Why is that a bad thing?

I think they are just for show kitchens, not serious cooks.
You won't find many in restaurant kitchens.

That said, once you learn it, it can be a good stove.
A good cook can adapt to any.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 4:01:29 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:
> > >
> > > The induction range... I can cook a pot of rice with
> > > no scorching. That's a difficult thing to do on a gas range.

> > "Not really," said the wild, Hawaiian pig.
> >
> > I've cooked rice on a gas stove all my adult life and I've
> > never scorched a pot. Seriously, never an issue. Just
> > follow package cooking directions.
> >
> > For long grain rice as an example:
> > Bring 2 cups water (with a nip of salt) to a full boil.
> > Add in 1 cup rice, give it a quick stir then lid on.
> > Immediately start your timer for 20 minutes and turn down
> > the heat.
> >
> > I lean down to look at the flame as I turn it down. I
> > go so low that the flame starts to flicker like it might
> > go off....then I turn it back up just a bit more to show
> > a steady very low flame.
> >
> > After 20 minutes ding on my timer, I turn off the heat but
> > leave the pot covered and let it sit for a bit. A few
> > minutes or even up to an hour...no timing necessary there.
> >
> > Eventually, while still hot, remove lid and fluff up with a
> > fork. Never fails
> >
> > For other rice varieties, only the cooking time varies.

> My guess is you're cooking long grain rice. I could probably cook that stuff without scorching.

I did say that above. It was a recipe for long grain. Other
rices, just the time varies. Brown rice for example cooks for
more like 40 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 7:13:56 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> >
> > On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 9:47:56 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> >
> > > John just switched from gas to electric (I hope it wasn't a
> > > glass top). He just needs to learn his new stove. All stoves
> > > vary, just need to learn how to adjust the cooking times, etc.

> > Yes I got a glass top! Why is that a bad thing?

> I think they are just for show kitchens, not serious cooks.
> You won't find many in restaurant kitchens.
>
> That said, once you learn it, it can be a good stove.
> A good cook can adapt to any.

Are you saying that professional cooks take their work home with them? That they cook the same way at home that they do on their job? I not interested in buy that package of beliefs. I shall pass on that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 7:24:06 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> > > "Not really," said the wild, Hawaiian pig.
> > >
> > > I've cooked rice on a gas stove all my adult life and I've
> > > never scorched a pot. Seriously, never an issue. Just
> > > follow package cooking directions.
> > >
> > > For long grain rice as an example:
> > > Bring 2 cups water (with a nip of salt) to a full boil.
> > > Add in 1 cup rice, give it a quick stir then lid on.
> > > Immediately start your timer for 20 minutes and turn down
> > > the heat.
> > >
> > > I lean down to look at the flame as I turn it down. I
> > > go so low that the flame starts to flicker like it might
> > > go off....then I turn it back up just a bit more to show
> > > a steady very low flame.
> > >
> > > After 20 minutes ding on my timer, I turn off the heat but
> > > leave the pot covered and let it sit for a bit. A few
> > > minutes or even up to an hour...no timing necessary there.
> > >
> > > Eventually, while still hot, remove lid and fluff up with a
> > > fork. Never fails
> > >
> > > For other rice varieties, only the cooking time varies.

> > My guess is you're cooking long grain rice. I could probably cook that stuff without scorching.

> I did say that above. It was a recipe for long grain. Other
> rices, just the time varies. Brown rice for example cooks for
> more like 40 minutes.

Try cooking short grain rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 7:24:06 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> > > "Not really," said the wild, Hawaiian pig.
> > >
> > > I've cooked rice on a gas stove all my adult life and I've
> > > never scorched a pot. Seriously, never an issue. Just
> > > follow package cooking directions.
> > >
> > > For long grain rice as an example:
> > > Bring 2 cups water (with a nip of salt) to a full boil.
> > > Add in 1 cup rice, give it a quick stir then lid on.
> > > Immediately start your timer for 20 minutes and turn down
> > > the heat.
> > >
> > > I lean down to look at the flame as I turn it down. I
> > > go so low that the flame starts to flicker like it might
> > > go off....then I turn it back up just a bit more to show
> > > a steady very low flame.
> > >
> > > After 20 minutes ding on my timer, I turn off the heat but
> > > leave the pot covered and let it sit for a bit. A few
> > > minutes or even up to an hour...no timing necessary there.
> > >
> > > Eventually, while still hot, remove lid and fluff up with a
> > > fork. Never fails
> > >
> > > For other rice varieties, only the cooking time varies.

> > My guess is you're cooking long grain rice. I could probably cook that
> > stuff without scorching.

> I did say that above. It was a recipe for long grain. Other
> rices, just the time varies. Brown rice for example cooks for
> more like 40 minutes.

Try cooking short grain rice.

===

That is what we prefer. I always cook it in a rice cooker.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 8:57:41 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 7:24:06 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:

> > > My guess is you're cooking long grain rice. I could probably cook that
> > > stuff without scorching.

> > I did say that above. It was a recipe for long grain. Other
> > rices, just the time varies. Brown rice for example cooks for
> > more like 40 minutes.

> Try cooking short grain rice.
>
> ===
>
> That is what we prefer. I always cook it in a rice cooker.

We've been having to cook rice on the stovetop. I haven't done that since I was a kid back in the 60's. An induction range makes it easy to do without scorching the rice. OTOH, back in the old days, some people liked to eat scorched, crispy, rice. With the invention of the automatic rice cooker, scorched, crispy, rice has practically disappeared from the face of the earth.

Who cooks the best rice? My guess it's the Koreans. I don't know how they do it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 2:34:15 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 8:57:41 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message

> > > I did say that above. It was a recipe for long grain. Other
> > > rices, just the time varies. Brown rice for example cooks for
> > > more like 40 minutes.

> > Try cooking short grain rice.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > That is what we prefer. I always cook it in a rice cooker.

> We've been having to cook rice on the stovetop. I haven't done that since I was a kid back in the 60's. An induction range makes it easy to do without scorching the rice. OTOH, back in the old days, some people liked to eat scorched, crispy, rice. With the invention of the automatic rice cooker, scorched, crispy, rice has practically disappeared from the face of the earth.
>
> Who cooks the best rice? My guess it's the Koreans. I don't know how they do it.

"Best" depends on who's eating it. There's no objective standard for
the "best" rice.

I doubt that anybody here who's said they always cook their rice in broth
would care for Korean-style rice.

For my part, I prefer long-grain.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 11:42:20 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 2:34:15 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 8:57:41 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > Try cooking short grain rice.
>> >
>> > ===
>> >
>> > That is what we prefer. I always cook it in a rice cooker.

>> We've been having to cook rice on the stovetop. I haven't done that since I was a kid back in the 60's. An induction range makes it easy to do without scorching the rice. OTOH, back in the old days, some people liked to eat scorched, crispy, rice. With the invention of the automatic rice cooker, scorched, crispy, rice has practically disappeared from the face of the earth.
>>
>> Who cooks the best rice? My guess it's the Koreans. I don't know how they do it.

>"Best" depends on who's eating it. There's no objective standard for
>the "best" rice.

Scientific Cindy to the rescue!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 9:42:25 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 2:34:15 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 8:57:41 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > > Try cooking short grain rice.
> > >
> > > ===
> > >
> > > That is what we prefer. I always cook it in a rice cooker.

> > We've been having to cook rice on the stovetop. I haven't done that since I was a kid back in the 60's. An induction range makes it easy to do without scorching the rice. OTOH, back in the old days, some people liked to eat scorched, crispy, rice. With the invention of the automatic rice cooker, scorched, crispy, rice has practically disappeared from the face of the earth.
> >
> > Who cooks the best rice? My guess it's the Koreans. I don't know how they do it.

> "Best" depends on who's eating it. There's no objective standard for
> the "best" rice.
>
> I doubt that anybody here who's said they always cook their rice in broth
> would care for Korean-style rice.
>
> For my part, I prefer long-grain.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

That's the opinion of a Japanese guy and a Vietnamese girl. The Japanese eat short grain rice. The Vietnamese prefer a medium or long grain rice. Most Americans prefer long grain rice - probably because that's what they've been eating in Chinese restaurants. As you say, "best" depends on who's making and eating the rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 1:04:12 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> I grew up with gas too and it made our kitchen a hot, unpleasant, place to cook or be in. I did not care for it. Other problems were that the heat output seemed on the low side and the flame was difficult to control at low settings.

I grew up with gas as well and yes, it made the kitchen very hot, but that
was because it faced the west. Unfortunately my kitchen faces west, south-
west and it does indeed get hot in there in the summer. But that's why God
invented fans and central air conditioning. I can put up with the heat as
long as I have some air circulating.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 9:47:56 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:

> John just switched from gas to electric (I hope it wasn't a
> glass top). He just needs to learn his new stove. All stoves
> vary, just need to learn how to adjust the cooking times, etc.

Look at his pictures he posted in this thread. It is indeed a smooth top
electric stove. There goes his infinite settings/flame he'd have if he
had kept his gas range.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 10:28:37 AM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:

> Yes I got a glass top! Why is that a bad thing?
>
> John Kuthe...

You tell us why it's a bad thing. You've already eliminated toffee from your
candy repertoire because the inability to precisely control the heat under
your pot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 2:52:37 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 10:28:37 AM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:
> >
> > Yes I got a glass top! Why is that a bad thing?
> >
> > John Kuthe...
> >

> You tell us why it's a bad thing. You've already eliminated toffee from your
> candy repertoire because the inability to precisely control the heat under
> your pot.

Assuming the control is analog continuous variable, I just have not FOUND the correct cook temp which as the syrup cooks varies as the boiling point varies. Lower at first, higher as the syrup cooks.

And because I burned on carbon badly to my candy cooking pot I now have to sand/grind off a new interior pan surface, just a little. It's a thick walled aluminum pot 1/8" or a little less!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 10:47:49 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 1:04:12 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > I grew up with gas too and it made our kitchen a hot, unpleasant, place to cook or be in. I did not care for it. Other problems were that the heat output seemed on the low side and the flame was difficult to control at low settings.
> >

> I grew up with gas as well and yes, it made the kitchen very hot, but that
> was because it faced the west. Unfortunately my kitchen faces west, south-
> west and it does indeed get hot in there in the summer. But that's why God
> invented fans and central air conditioning. I can put up with the heat as
> long as I have some air circulating.

We sort of lived a monk's life when I was young. We had God in our home back then but no fans or central air conditioning. Our family wasn't the kind to utilize such extravagances. My guess is that we'll move back into the old house soon. You can bet your life that we're not going to live like monks.. It's going to be zone AC all the way and I'll cook with gas and AC.

My guess is that we'll put a high-capacity charging station in the car port.. We won't ever have to go to a nasty gas station again. That, as we all know, is God's real plan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 11:34:10 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

> OTOH, back in the old days, some people liked to eat scorched, crispy, rice. With the invention of the automatic rice cooker, scorched, crispy, rice has practically disappeared from the face of the earth.
>
>Who cooks the best rice? My guess it's the Koreans. I don't know how they do it.

There are many varieties of rice, of course, and often they are the
locally grown type and, therefore, favorites by region/culture.

Crispy rice has not disappeared at all. There are many delicious
recipes with specific instructions on how to achieve it, actually -
think Persian tahdig or similar.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/a...ook-and-eat-it

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 3:04:21 PM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:

> On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 2:52:37 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> >
> > You tell us why it's a bad thing. You've already eliminated toffee from your
> > candy repertoire because the inability to precisely control the heat under
> > your pot.

> Assuming the control is analog continuous variable, I just have not FOUND the correct cook temp which as the syrup cooks varies as the boiling point varies. Lower at first, higher as the syrup cooks.

Because, DUH, there is no, DUH, instant response on those, DUH, smooth top,
stoves. DUH, you should know this by now. DUH. The only way you will
manage, DUH, to control the heat and temperature, is to continually, DUH,
fiddle with the temperature knob and move the pan, DUH, on and off the heat..
This should take you quite a while babysitting, DUH, the pan and the stove.
Whereas a gas stove would respond I N S T A N T L Y to any temperature
adjustment.

> And because I burned on carbon badly to my candy cooking pot I now have to sand/grind off a new interior pan surface, just a little. It's a thick walled aluminum pot 1/8" or a little less!
>
> John Kuthe€¦

Some people behave as if they believe stupidity is a virtue.

English Toffee #3! John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 9 10-12-2018 05:53 PM
Electric stove controller for electric smoker catfish Barbecue 1 12-05-2006 07:56 AM
English Toffee 3 Tim Recipes 0 20-07-2005 09:58 AM
English Toffee, need help! JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms General Cooking 6 09-04-2005 02:55 PM
cooking on gas vs. electric stove? curious General Cooking 4 25-10-2003 01:06 PM