Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner Tonight (Has nothing to do with turkey)

On 12/5/2019 3:02 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 14:57:08 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>> On 12/5/2019 1:55 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>> The difference between jam and jelly also strikes me as an American
>>> thing. Not that there's anything wrong with American things, I hasten
>>> to add.
>>>

>> But there is a definite difference in the composition though. At least
>> in US standards.

> Yes, there is. It's just a distinction that's hardly made in NL and UK
> (if I remember correctly what Ophelia once said). No doubt
> professionals would make the distinction, but not Joe Homeowner and
> his wife.

There _was_ a distinction in the UK, years ago. My mother's old textbook
from the Edinburgh College of Domestic Science (printed in the 1930s)
describes jam as made from whole fruit, and jelly as made from juice.
These days jelly seems to refer to a gelatin dessert (like US Jello).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 11:46:03 AM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 20:32:01 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >My dinner consisted of a peanut butter and grape jam sandwich with a glass of
> >m i l k. (I had a large lunch so not much of a supper.)
> >
> >The anti-milk bunch can just moooove along.

> My husband says that if you love grape jam you'll love huckleberry!
> That's his fav.
> Janet US

I would LOVE to try it but it's not on the grocery store shelves here.
Possibly the Amish and Mennonites that sell their food items at our
once-a-month golly-whopper flea market might offer it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 14:58:55 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 11:46:03 AM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 20:32:01 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >My dinner consisted of a peanut butter and grape jam sandwich with a glass of
>> >m i l k. (I had a large lunch so not much of a supper.)
>> >
>> >The anti-milk bunch can just moooove along.

>> My husband says that if you love grape jam you'll love huckleberry!
>> That's his fav.
>> Janet US
>>

>I would LOVE to try it but it's not on the grocery store shelves here.
>Possibly the Amish and Mennonites that sell their food items at our
>once-a-month golly-whopper flea market might offer it.

I'm sorry to hear that
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 2:49:52 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at 11:32:05 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> > The anti-milk bunch can just moooove along.

> We know, we know. That's the typical boooring weight-loss crowd talking. Always drink milk at night. Yogurt, yogurt, yogurt, Orange Juice every morning.

Yesterday evening I watched a National Geographic program on the Arab Emirates.
The peoples, customs, animals, etc. I watched the camel races with their
owners in a parallel race course urging their rider-less entries on with
walkie-talkies. Then they discussed the camel was not only important for
its' ability to carry goods, and it being a source of meat, but how extremely
important it was as a source of milk. As soon as one of females would be
milked they would drink directly from the bucket as it's a great source of
proteins.

'Twas an interesting program.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 15:11:16 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 2:49:52 PM UTC-6, wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at 11:32:05 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>> > The anti-milk bunch can just moooove along.

>> We know, we know. That's the typical boooring weight-loss crowd talking. Always drink milk at night. Yogurt, yogurt, yogurt, Orange Juice every morning.
>>

>Yesterday evening I watched a National Geographic program on the Arab Emirates.
>The peoples, customs, animals, etc. I watched the camel races with their
>owners in a parallel race course urging their rider-less entries on with
>walkie-talkies. Then they discussed the camel was not only important for
>its' ability to carry goods, and it being a source of meat, but how extremely
>important it was as a source of milk. As soon as one of females would be
>milked they would drink directly from the bucket as it's a great source of
>proteins.
>
>'Twas an interesting program.

In third world countries one needs to eat and drink everything one can
get one's hands on.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-12-05 5:46 p.m., graham wrote:
> On 2019-12-05 3:30 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Jelly is the juice of the fruit whereas jam is the juice and
>>> pulp. It's thicker and much easier spread than jellies.
>>>

>> I was raised with home made jams and jellies and have made my share
>> of them. I usually prefer the jam version,especially in the case of
>> black currant. One jelly that I used to enjoy was crab apple.
>>

> I make crab-apple and redcurrant jellies every few years as well as
> marmalade. I always buy seedless raspberry jam though.

I used to make Seville Orange Marmalade and it was delicious, but my
guts just don't tolerate citrus. It's a shame because it was so good. I
might consider making some crab apple jelly but I have never seen crab
apples for sale. Nor have I seen crab apple jelly for sale anywhere. I
once found raspberry jelly for sale and bought it to make Empire
cookies. I have not since it since.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 4:00:19 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 13:53:11 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 1:23:50 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >> I've never heard of it before either.
> >>

> >Julie, we A L L know you are a retarded dumbass who made the mistake of
> >breeding. But I know you are not entirely brainless to make me believe
> >you've never in your stupid life heard of grape jam.

> You're not a retard if you haven't heard of grape jam. You're an
> uneducated retard with no basic manners if you post what you just
> posted.

Believe me, that drip with the IQ of a dead flashlight battery has heard of
jam. And yes, she is a retarded dumbass and anyone who defends that addle-
brained lump of stupidity is also a retarded dumbass.

Oh wait! That's right!! There are no stores, cars, grocery stores, appliance
repair stores, jams or jellies west of the Rockies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 15:19:36 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 4:00:19 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 13:53:11 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:

>> >Julie, we A L L know you are a retarded dumbass who made the mistake of
>> >breeding. But I know you are not entirely brainless to make me believe
>> >you've never in your stupid life heard of grape jam.

>> You're not a retard if you haven't heard of grape jam. You're an
>> uneducated retard with no basic manners if you post what you just
>> posted.
>>

>Believe me, that drip with the IQ of a dead flashlight battery has heard of
>jam. And yes, she is a retarded dumbass and anyone who defends that addle-
>brained lump of stupidity is also a retarded dumbass.

Were your parents feral plebs?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 5:04:01 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 14:58:55 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >> My husband says that if you love grape jam you'll love huckleberry!
> >> That's his fav.
> >> Janet US
> >>

> >I would LOVE to try it but it's not on the grocery store shelves here.
> >Possibly the Amish and Mennonites that sell their food items at our
> >once-a-month golly-whopper flea market might offer it.

> I'm sorry to hear that

It's no biggie as I bet either of the two sects above would offer it in
their booths. They sell a lot different jams, jellies, and preserves
that I'd never see at the grocery store.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 5:14:27 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> In third world countries one needs to eat and drink everything one can
> get one's hands on.

Hmmmmmm, I wonder what female camels are called? Would they be termed a
'cow.'
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 5:22:38 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> Were your parents feral plebs?

Hers were.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 15:27:29 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 5:22:38 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Were your parents feral plebs?
>>

>Hers were.

She doesn't talk like one, you do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 5:58:19 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2019-12-05 6:25 p.m., wrote:
> >
> > Hmmmmmm, I wonder what female camels are called? Would they be termed a
> > 'cow.'
> >

> Do they have camel toes?

Yep.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 5:41:31 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 15:27:29 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 5:22:38 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> Were your parents feral plebs?
> >>

> >Hers were.

> She doesn't talk like one, you do.

That's because she's a retarded lightbulb.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 15:27:29 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 5:22:38 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> Were your parents feral plebs?
>>>

>> Hers were.

> She doesn't talk like one, you do.

I smell shit in here. Is that you druce?

Ugh, Here's a towel, wipe your ass.

I think some of it splattered on your shoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 8:44:12 PM UTC-6, Hank Rogers wrote:

> Crab apple jelly is very good. I haven't found any in stores for a
> very long time though.

I'll see it occasionally in the stores but it's mostly apple juice they are
using instead of 100% crab apples.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 13:53:11 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 1:23:50 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > Could grape jam be an American thing? I had never heard of it before
>> > RFC. I hope it contains mold inhibitor!

>> I've never heard of it before either.
>>

>Julie, we A L L know you are a retarded dumbass who made the mistake of
>breeding. But I know you are not entirely brainless to make me believe
>you've never in your stupid life heard of grape jam.

You're not a retard if you haven't heard of grape jam. You're an
uneducated retard with no basic manners if you post what you just
posted.

===

Nothing changes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 09:44:54 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 13:53:11 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>>> I've never heard of it before either.
>>>

>>Julie, we A L L know you are a retarded dumbass who made the mistake of
>>breeding. But I know you are not entirely brainless to make me believe
>>you've never in your stupid life heard of grape jam.

>You're not a retard if you haven't heard of grape jam. You're an
>uneducated retard with no basic manners if you post what you just
>posted.
>
>===
>
> Nothing changes

No, it doesn't. If you reach her age and talk like that, you'll
probably never improve anymore. Jerry Springer material.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 6:19:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 4:00:19 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 13:53:11 -0800 (PST), "
> > > wrote:

> > >Julie, we A L L know you are a retarded dumbass who made the mistake of
> > >breeding. But I know you are not entirely brainless to make me believe
> > >you've never in your stupid life heard of grape jam.

> > You're not a retard if you haven't heard of grape jam. You're an
> > uneducated retard with no basic manners if you post what you just
> > posted.
> >

> Believe me, that drip with the IQ of a dead flashlight battery has heard of
> jam.

Jam, yes, I'm sure she's heard of that. Grape jam, perhaps not.

Even though it's right goddamned next to the grape jelly on the
shelf in the grocery store.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On 12/5/2019 3:02 PM, Bruce wrote:
> >>>
> >> But there is a definite difference in the composition though. At least
> >> in US standards.

> > Yes, there is. It's just a distinction that's hardly made in NL and UK
> > (if I remember correctly what Ophelia once said). No doubt
> > professionals would make the distinction, but not Joe Homeowner and
> > his wife.
> >

> There _was_ a distinction in the UK, years ago. My mother's old textbook
> from the Edinburgh College of Domestic Science (printed in the 1930s)
> describes jam as made from whole fruit, and jelly as made from juice.

The whole fruit is cooked to make jelly; then it's strained and
drained overnight through a muslin bag to remove all pips, skins and
pulp. I used to make blackberry jelly which we much prefer to blackberry
jam.

> These days jelly seems to refer to a gelatin dessert (like US Jello).

Local SWI food and baking competitions still have classes for both
jams and jelly ( in jars, not the gelatin dessert). If you want to try
jellies the best source is jars of home-made sold at fundraisers. I
recommend rowan jelly (a Scottish speciality) to eat with cold meat.
Crab apple jelly is good too but you'll need access to trees for the
fruit.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-12-06 5:47 a.m., Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> says...

>>> Yes, there is. It's just a distinction that's hardly made in NL and UK
>>> (if I remember correctly what Ophelia once said). No doubt
>>> professionals would make the distinction, but not Joe Homeowner and
>>> his wife.
>>>

>> There _was_ a distinction in the UK, years ago. My mother's old textbook
>> from the Edinburgh College of Domestic Science (printed in the 1930s)
>> describes jam as made from whole fruit, and jelly as made from juice.

> The whole fruit is cooked to make jelly; then it's strained and
> drained overnight through a muslin bag to remove all pips, skins and
> pulp. I used to make blackberry jelly which we much prefer to blackberry
> jam.
>
>> These days jelly seems to refer to a gelatin dessert (like US Jello).

> Local SWI food and baking competitions still have classes for both
> jams and jelly ( in jars, not the gelatin dessert). If you want to try
> jellies the best source is jars of home-made sold at fundraisers. I
> recommend rowan jelly (a Scottish speciality) to eat with cold meat.
> Crab apple jelly is good too but you'll need access to trees for the
> fruit.
>
> Janet UK

I have a rowan tree out front but after my Scottish neighbours told me
of their failures at making the jelly, and the vile flavour, I haven't
bothered. I do have a crab apple tree and make jelly once in a while.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/6/2019 7:47 AM, Janet wrote:

> Local SWI food and baking competitions still have classes for both
> jams and jelly ( in jars, not the gelatin dessert). If you want to try
> jellies the best source is jars of home-made sold at fundraisers. I
> recommend rowan jelly (a Scottish speciality) to eat with cold meat.

I've considered making rowan jelly - I have lots of rowan trees - but
the hoodies always get to them before I do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/6/2019 8:46 AM, graham wrote:

>> Â*Â*Â* LocalÂ* SWI food and baking competitions still have classes for both
>> jams and jelly ( in jars, not the gelatin dessert). If you want to try
>> jellies the best source is jars of home-made sold at fundraisers. I
>> recommend rowan jelly (a Scottish speciality)Â* to eat with cold meat.
>> Crab apple jelly is good too but you'll need access to trees for the
>> fruit.
>>
>> Â*Â*Â*Â* Janet UK
>>

> I have a rowan tree out front but after my Scottish neighbours told me
> of their failures at making the jelly, and the vile flavour, I haven't
> bothered. I do have a crab apple tree and make jelly once in a while.

Not familiar with it I found this:
Rowan berries contain the toxic parasorbic acid, but when cooked, as in
jellies, it becomes sorbic acid, which is safe. ... The leaves and sap
of this plant are toxic, too.

OK for birds but dogs get sick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-12-06 7:47 a.m., Janet wrote:

>> There _was_ a distinction in the UK, years ago. My mother's old
>> textbook from the Edinburgh College of Domestic Science (printed in
>> the 1930s) describes jam as made from whole fruit, and jelly as
>> made from juice.

> The whole fruit is cooked to make jelly; then it's strained and
> drained overnight through a muslin bag to remove all pips, skins and
> pulp. I used to make blackberry jelly which we much prefer to
> blackberry jam.

My mother used to make some jellies as well as jams. The way I remember
her doing it is that she would crush the fruit first. She can a cone
shaped sieve with a cone shaped masher which she used to crush the
berries and force the juice through the sieve. Then she cooked only
the juice. She may possibly have cooked the fruit first. It's been a
long, long time since I watched her doing it, but I do remember it being
a one day process.

Blackberry jelly is pretty good. I like the flavour of those things, but
I hate the seeds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 6, 2019 at 3:46:59 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> On 2019-12-06 5:47 a.m., Janet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > says...

> >> There _was_ a distinction in the UK, years ago. My mother's old textbook
> >> from the Edinburgh College of Domestic Science (printed in the 1930s)
> >> describes jam as made from whole fruit, and jelly as made from juice.

> > The whole fruit is cooked to make jelly; then it's strained and
> > drained overnight through a muslin bag to remove all pips, skins and
> > pulp. I used to make blackberry jelly which we much prefer to blackberry
> > jam.
> >
> >> These days jelly seems to refer to a gelatin dessert (like US Jello).

> > Local SWI food and baking competitions still have classes for both
> > jams and jelly ( in jars, not the gelatin dessert). If you want to try
> > jellies the best source is jars of home-made sold at fundraisers. I
> > recommend rowan jelly (a Scottish speciality) to eat with cold meat.
> > Crab apple jelly is good too but you'll need access to trees for the
> > fruit.
> >
> > Janet UK
> >

> I have a rowan tree out front but after my Scottish neighbours told me
> of their failures at making the jelly, and the vile flavour, I haven't
> bothered. I do have a crab apple tree and make jelly once in a while.

"Rowan" is the name of my granddaughter. The kids get some funny names these days. I was once checking out a house and spotted a strawberry guava tree.. It had some fruit on it so I grabbed one and took a bite. I was shocked, it had and intense, sweet, guava flavor. I'm guessing these things would make a great jam. If I had a bunch, I'd make some. That would be just great. Unfortunately, I'd have to trek through a rainforest to get some.

https://www.fs.fed.us/psw/topics/bio...ry_guava.shtml
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> I always thought that grape jam and jelly are basically the same.

Any clueless anyone only needs to buy a jar of each and compare
it side by side. Big difference.

Jelly is very gelled and extra sweet
Jam is thicker with a richer taste.

Sausage biscuit with grape JAM is a good combo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
> I make crab-apple and redcurrant jellies every few years as well as
> marmalade.
> I always buy seedless raspberry jam though.

Those tiny raspberry seeds are annoying so I agree.

I ate quite a few large live moths in the summer of 71.
Protein late at night. (true)

Never have seen moth pie or preserves though. oh well
They weren't "all that" anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 5:14:27 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> >
> > In third world countries one needs to eat and drink everything one can
> > get one's hands on.
> >

> Hmmmmmm, I wonder what female camels are called? Would they be termed a
> 'cow.'

Probably just, "female camels." I'd walk a mile for one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Just like I don't know why you think
> microwaved potatoes are "baked". Heh.

I usually specify my Baked by method of cooking.
Like 'baked' in a microwave

Regardless, both are washed and cooked whole in an oven.
Both are cooked in an oven.

2 different kinds of ovens and 2 different results.
Both are "baked" potatoes. I try not to mince words.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Dec 2019 13:18:56 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>graham wrote:
>> I make crab-apple and redcurrant jellies every few years as well as
>> marmalade.
>> I always buy seedless raspberry jam though.

>Those tiny raspberry seeds are annoying so I agree.
>
>I ate quite a few large live moths in the summer of 71.
>Protein late at night. (true)
>
>Never have seen moth pie or preserves though. oh well
>They weren't "all that" anyway.

These days they add moth repellent to preserves.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Dec 2019 13:18:56 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> >graham wrote:
> >> I make crab-apple and redcurrant jellies every few years as well as
> >> marmalade.
> >> I always buy seedless raspberry jam though.

> >Those tiny raspberry seeds are annoying so I agree.
> >
> >I ate quite a few large live moths in the summer of 71.
> >Protein late at night. (true)
> >
> >Never have seen moth pie or preserves though. oh well
> >They weren't "all that" anyway.

> These days they add moth repellent to preserves.

I've found that many of tastier foods are science projects
now. Works for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Dec 2019 13:55:37 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:

>> >Those tiny raspberry seeds are annoying so I agree.
>> >
>> >I ate quite a few large live moths in the summer of 71.
>> >Protein late at night. (true)
>> >
>> >Never have seen moth pie or preserves though. oh well
>> >They weren't "all that" anyway.

>> These days they add moth repellent to preserves.

>I've found that many of tastier foods are science projects
>now. Works for me.

It works for many people because it sells. And since you're the
average American...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-12-06 8:11 a.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/6/2019 8:46 AM, graham wrote:
>

>>> Â*Â*Â* LocalÂ* SWI food and baking competitions still have classes for both
>>> jams and jelly ( in jars, not the gelatin dessert). If you want to try
>>> jellies the best source is jars of home-made sold at fundraisers. I
>>> recommend rowan jelly (a Scottish speciality)Â* to eat with cold meat.
>>> Crab apple jelly is good too but you'll need access to trees for the
>>> fruit.
>>>
>>> Â*Â*Â*Â* Janet UK
>>>

>> I have a rowan tree out front but after my Scottish neighbours told me
>> of their failures at making the jelly, and the vile flavour, I haven't
>> bothered. I do have a crab apple tree and make jelly once in a while.

> Not familiar with it I found this:
> Rowan berries contain the toxic parasorbic acid, but when cooked, as in
> jellies, it becomes sorbic acid, which is safe. ... The leaves and sap
> of this plant are toxic, too.
>
> OK for birds but dogs get sick.

Thanks for the info!!