Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I made a brown lentil goulash today

and it sucked. The lentils sucked up the vast majority of the sauce, and the result was a thick kind of goo. It was edible, I didn't throw it out, but I wanted to. Never again. Maybe next time, I'll make the goulash without lentils, cook the lentils in water until done and add to the goulash sauce. Hopefully it won't ruin the stew then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

> and it sucked. The lentils sucked up the vast majority of the sauce, and the result was a thick kind of goo. It was edible, I didn't throw it out, but I wanted to. Never again. Maybe next time, I'll make the goulash without lentils, cook the lentils in water until done and add to the goulash sauce. Hopefully it won't ruin the stew then.

Yeah, that's the way to do it. Cook lentils in water then add to
sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
and it sucked. The lentils sucked up the vast majority of the sauce, and
the result was a thick kind of goo. It was edible, I didn't throw it out,
but I wanted to. Never again. Maybe next time, I'll make the goulash
without lentils, cook the lentils in water until done and add to the goulash
sauce. Hopefully it won't ruin the stew then.

What else did you put in it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>A Moose in Love wrote:
>>
>> and it sucked. The lentils sucked up the vast majority of the sauce, and
>> the result was a thick kind of goo. It was edible, I didn't throw it
>> out, but I wanted to. Never again. Maybe next time, I'll make the
>> goulash without lentils, cook the lentils in water until done and add to
>> the goulash sauce. Hopefully it won't ruin the stew then.

> Yeah, that's the way to do it. Cook lentils in water then add to
> sauce.

That's the way you're supposed to cook them. If I'm making soup, I will
throw some in loose. But just to cook them, my directions say to use water
and a Bay Leaf. Additional seasonings later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 30, 2019 at 10:39:08 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> and it sucked. The lentils sucked up the vast majority of the sauce, and
> the result was a thick kind of goo. It was edible, I didn't throw it out,
> but I wanted to. Never again. Maybe next time, I'll make the goulash
> without lentils, cook the lentils in water until done and add to the goulash
> sauce. Hopefully it won't ruin the stew then.
>
> What else did you put in it?

I threw a piece of beef in there just in case I didn't like the lentils. Also, onions, garlic, ginger(doesn't belong in there, but I use it often), green peppers, roma tomato, what's this here sauce, paprika, chicken stock, water and a bouillon cube. I used to make a better goulash when I browned the meat, and sauteed the veggies, and slowly cooked the paprika in the cooking fat. I try to stay away from fried foods, so everything in the above dish was simmered.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
On Saturday, November 30, 2019 at 10:39:08 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> and it sucked. The lentils sucked up the vast majority of the sauce, and
> the result was a thick kind of goo. It was edible, I didn't throw it out,
> but I wanted to. Never again. Maybe next time, I'll make the goulash
> without lentils, cook the lentils in water until done and add to the
> goulash
> sauce. Hopefully it won't ruin the stew then.
>
> What else did you put in it?

I threw a piece of beef in there just in case I didn't like the lentils.
Also, onions, garlic, ginger(doesn't belong in there, but I use it often),
green peppers, roma tomato, what's this here sauce, paprika, chicken stock,
water and a bouillon cube. I used to make a better goulash when I browned
the meat, and sauteed the veggies, and slowly cooked the paprika in the
cooking fat. I try to stay away from fried foods, so everything in the
above dish was simmered.

I don't think the lentils or ginger belong in there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 3:16:07 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, November 30, 2019 at 10:39:08 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> > "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> > and it sucked. The lentils sucked up the vast majority of the sauce, and
> > the result was a thick kind of goo. It was edible, I didn't throw it out,
> > but I wanted to. Never again. Maybe next time, I'll make the goulash
> > without lentils, cook the lentils in water until done and add to the
> > goulash
> > sauce. Hopefully it won't ruin the stew then.
> >
> > What else did you put in it?

> I threw a piece of beef in there just in case I didn't like the lentils.
> Also, onions, garlic, ginger(doesn't belong in there, but I use it often),
> green peppers, roma tomato, what's this here sauce, paprika, chicken stock,
> water and a bouillon cube. I used to make a better goulash when I browned
> the meat, and sauteed the veggies, and slowly cooked the paprika in the
> cooking fat. I try to stay away from fried foods, so everything in the
> above dish was simmered.
>
> I don't think the lentils or ginger belong in there.

My original intention was to make a close to vegan goulash. That's why the lentils. It wouldn't have been pure vegan because I used chicken stock and.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 3:16:07 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
>> On Saturday, November 30, 2019 at 10:39:08 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
>> > and it sucked. The lentils sucked up the vast majority of the sauce,
>> > and
>> > the result was a thick kind of goo. It was edible, I didn't throw it
>> > out,
>> > but I wanted to. Never again. Maybe next time, I'll make the goulash
>> > without lentils, cook the lentils in water until done and add to the
>> > goulash
>> > sauce. Hopefully it won't ruin the stew then.
>> >
>> > What else did you put in it?

>> I threw a piece of beef in there just in case I didn't like the lentils.
>> Also, onions, garlic, ginger(doesn't belong in there, but I use it
>> often),
>> green peppers, roma tomato, what's this here sauce, paprika, chicken
>> stock,
>> water and a bouillon cube. I used to make a better goulash when I
>> browned
>> the meat, and sauteed the veggies, and slowly cooked the paprika in the
>> cooking fat. I try to stay away from fried foods, so everything in the
>> above dish was simmered.
>>
>> I don't think the lentils or ginger belong in there.

> My original intention was to make a close to vegan goulash. That's why
> the lentils. It wouldn't have been pure vegan because I used chicken
> stock and.

Maybe try this:

https://thevegan8.com/vegan-hungarian-goulash/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 7:53:56 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> > On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 3:16:07 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> >> I threw a piece of beef in there just in case I didn't like the lentils.
> >> Also, onions, garlic, ginger(doesn't belong in there, but I use it
> >> often),
> >> green peppers, roma tomato, what's this here sauce, paprika, chicken
> >> stock,
> >> water and a bouillon cube. I used to make a better goulash when I
> >> browned
> >> the meat, and sauteed the veggies, and slowly cooked the paprika in the
> >> cooking fat. I try to stay away from fried foods, so everything in the
> >> above dish was simmered.
> >>
> >> I don't think the lentils or ginger belong in there.

> > My original intention was to make a close to vegan goulash. That's why
> > the lentils. It wouldn't have been pure vegan because I used chicken
> > stock and.

> Maybe try this:
>
> https://thevegan8.com/vegan-hungarian-goulash/

That looks pretty good. The recipe sure uses a lot of paprika. I would substitute the veggie broth/stock, using chicken stock instead. I want to get away from eating meat every day.