Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shattered oven door.

Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on the floor,
his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this story as there
was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check this. Yes, there had been
oil on the floor two days prior and it took me a long time to clean it up.
So that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact that other things in the
kitchen were damaged and he claimed those damages were related to the
shattered oven door, but they couldn't possibly be. I am not going to get
into that!

I finally have my kitchen back after his hideous foray into cooking. But...
No oven. I have the low end, GE, self cleaning one and it's about 15 years
old. So I think it would be better for me to replace it rather than repair
the door. Still shopping around.

That being said, in researching shattered oven doors, it's a fairly common
thing and the incidents of it happening are on the rise! The first I heard
of this was last year at about this time when my friend got a new, high end
oven. She was looking forward to cooking the holiday meal, and the day
before the holiday, the glass shattered. The oven wasn't on and thankfully
no one was near it. My friend makes everything from scratch so they had a
very disappointing holiday meal as she was unable to bake anything.
Thankfully she had already made her cookies.

Just spoke to another friend who said there was a segment on the news about
shattered oven doors being on the rise. But the reason is unclear. My
research said it might be linked to the high heat of self clean and perhaps
we should not use that feature. I did the self clean a day or two before the
incident and that makes me feel slightly guilty.

Anyone here ever have this happen? Or have you heard of it? Makes me want to
buy some cheap thing with no glass in the door but they don't seem to make
them that way any more. I did have one many years ago and mostly I made
cookies, muffins, cakes and biscuits. My nose always told me when they were
done. It never fails me for things like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

She who lives here does not cook so I am not too worried about a shattered oven.
I have never seen a shattered oven door.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/16/19 10:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> My research said it might be linked to the high heat of self clean and
> perhaps we should not use that feature. I did the self clean a day or
> two before the incident and that makes me feel slightly guilty.

Yep that's what the G says.

Never happened with a good number of ovens we have owned and We have
also never won the lottery.

Sounds like you have a rather high worry quotient. Just replace it and
carry on worrying about something else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2019 12:45 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
> where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on the
> floor, his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this story
> as there was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check this. Yes,
> there had been oil on the floor two days prior and it took me a long
> time to clean it up. So that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact
> that other things in the kitchen were damaged and he claimed those
> damages were related to the shattered oven door, but they couldn't
> possibly be.

I can't help with an oven search but it sounds to me like you're well
rid of the mooch.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2019 10:05 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:45:14 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
>> where the oven door shattered.

> Uh oh. Who's going to father the baby that's due in 5 months?
>
> -sw

Gary got his question answered. The mooching "gardener" is gone.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2019 10:07 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 08:56:17 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I can't help with an oven search but it sounds to me like you're well
>> rid of the mooch.

> But the next question is, who will be next? And how will this
> change its posting frequency?
>
> -sw

My guess is she'll still need a handyman so she'll invite another
vagrant to move into the "back house" and eventually into her house.
Because she just loves helping people! Of course they'll have to be
interested in eating a lot of rice and beans and have all the same food
intolerances.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05:45 17 Nov 2019, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
> where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on the
> floor, his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this story
> as there was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check this. Yes,
> there had been oil on the floor two days prior and it took me a long
> time to clean it up. So that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact
> that other things in the kitchen were damaged and he claimed those
> damages were related to the shattered oven door, but they couldn't
> possibly be. I am not going to get into that!

Why would anyone lie about this? He's admitted to breaking the glass, so why
do you care how exactly how it happened?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2019 8:34 AM, jay wrote:
> On 11/16/19 10:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> My research said it might be linked to the high heat of self clean and
>> perhaps we should not use that feature. I did the self clean a day or
>> two before the incident and that makes me feel slightly guilty.

> Yep that's what the G says.
>
> Never happened with a good number of ovens we have owned and We have
> also never won the lottery.
>
> Sounds like you have a rather high worry quotient.* Just replace it and
> carry on worrying about something else.

Her biggest problem will be finding someone else to move in so she can
complain about them. They would have to be willing to live there
rent-free. Do odd jobs around the house. Move in with a dog and a goat
and share the same food intolerances. Must love rice & beans.

Recenly she posted about shattering glass/pyrex mixing bowls in her
sink. It was strongly suggested she use stainless steel mixing bowls.
Glass and Julie's kitchen do not mix.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:45:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
>where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on the floor,
>his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this story as there
>was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check this. Yes, there had been
>oil on the floor two days prior and it took me a long time to clean it up.
>So that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact that other things in the
>kitchen were damaged and he claimed those damages were related to the
>shattered oven door, but they couldn't possibly be. I am not going to get
>into that!
>
>I finally have my kitchen back after his hideous foray into cooking. But...
>No oven. I have the low end, GE, self cleaning one and it's about 15 years
>old. So I think it would be better for me to replace it rather than repair
>the door. Still shopping around.
>
>That being said, in researching shattered oven doors, it's a fairly common
>thing and the incidents of it happening are on the rise! The first I heard
>of this was last year at about this time when my friend got a new, high end
>oven. She was looking forward to cooking the holiday meal, and the day
>before the holiday, the glass shattered. The oven wasn't on and thankfully
>no one was near it. My friend makes everything from scratch so they had a
>very disappointing holiday meal as she was unable to bake anything.
>Thankfully she had already made her cookies.
>
>Just spoke to another friend who said there was a segment on the news about
>shattered oven doors being on the rise. But the reason is unclear. My
>research said it might be linked to the high heat of self clean and perhaps
>we should not use that feature. I did the self clean a day or two before the
>incident and that makes me feel slightly guilty.
>
>Anyone here ever have this happen? Or have you heard of it?

Nrver had it happen or heard of it.... but I suppose it could happen.

>Makes me want to buy some cheap thing with no glass in the door but they don't seem to make
>them that way anymore.

I haven't looked but I'm sure some companies must make oven doors
without a glass window. My GE profile oven door has a glass window,
however in the 20 years I have it I've not once used the glass window
to look inside the oven... it's really just something extra to clean
because even though it has an auto clean function it cleans the oven
but not the glass window.... I still need to use a razor and Windex to
clean that glass... it's a PIA job and it doesn't stay clean very
long. The oven works great but were I to do it again I'd look for one
without a window in the door.... I still need to open the door to
check what's cooking inside.... with a meat thermommeter stuck into a
roast I still need to open the door to read the thermometer. Maybe my
vision has deteriorated. I probably should sget one of those wireless
thermometers that sends the temperature to an external gauge. I still
wouldn't trust it without actually examining the roast and taking its
temperature with my trusty Sponge Bob anal thermometer. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 7:45:31 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
> where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on the floor,
> his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this story as there
> was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check this. Yes, there had been
> oil on the floor two days prior and it took me a long time to clean it up.
> So that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact that other things in the
> kitchen were damaged and he claimed those damages were related to the
> shattered oven door, but they couldn't possibly be. I am not going to get
> into that!
>
> I finally have my kitchen back after his hideous foray into cooking. But...
> No oven. I have the low end, GE, self cleaning one and it's about 15 years
> old. So I think it would be better for me to replace it rather than repair
> the door. Still shopping around.
>
> That being said, in researching shattered oven doors, it's a fairly common
> thing and the incidents of it happening are on the rise! The first I heard
> of this was last year at about this time when my friend got a new, high end
> oven. She was looking forward to cooking the holiday meal, and the day
> before the holiday, the glass shattered. The oven wasn't on and thankfully
> no one was near it. My friend makes everything from scratch so they had a
> very disappointing holiday meal as she was unable to bake anything.
> Thankfully she had already made her cookies.
>
> Just spoke to another friend who said there was a segment on the news about
> shattered oven doors being on the rise. But the reason is unclear. My
> research said it might be linked to the high heat of self clean and perhaps
> we should not use that feature. I did the self clean a day or two before the
> incident and that makes me feel slightly guilty.
>
> Anyone here ever have this happen? Or have you heard of it? Makes me want to
> buy some cheap thing with no glass in the door but they don't seem to make
> them that way any more. I did have one many years ago and mostly I made
> cookies, muffins, cakes and biscuits. My nose always told me when they were
> done. It never fails me for things like that.

This is why we should have cameras inside the oven and ditch the glass in doors. Just put a display on the door or stream the video to your cell phone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 15:27:03 GMT, pamela >
wrote:

>On 05:45 17 Nov 2019, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
>> where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on the
>> floor, his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this story
>> as there was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check this. Yes,
>> there had been oil on the floor two days prior and it took me a long
>> time to clean it up. So that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact
>> that other things in the kitchen were damaged and he claimed those
>> damages were related to the shattered oven door, but they couldn't
>> possibly be. I am not going to get into that!

>Why would anyone lie about this? He's admitted to breaking the glass, so why
>do you care how exactly how it happened?

She doesn't. It's really all about the fact that he's left her.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:45:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
>where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on the floor,
>his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this story as there
>was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check this. Yes, there had been
>oil on the floor two days prior and it took me a long time to clean it up.
>So that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact that other things in the
>kitchen were damaged and he claimed those damages were related to the
>shattered oven door, but they couldn't possibly be. I am not going to get
>into that!
>
>I finally have my kitchen back after his hideous foray into cooking. But...
>No oven. I have the low end, GE, self cleaning one and it's about 15 years
>old. So I think it would be better for me to replace it rather than repair
>the door. Still shopping around.
>
>That being said, in researching shattered oven doors, it's a fairly common
>thing and the incidents of it happening are on the rise! The first I heard
>of this was last year at about this time when my friend got a new, high end
>oven. She was looking forward to cooking the holiday meal, and the day
>before the holiday, the glass shattered. The oven wasn't on and thankfully
>no one was near it. My friend makes everything from scratch so they had a
>very disappointing holiday meal as she was unable to bake anything.
>Thankfully she had already made her cookies.
>
>Just spoke to another friend who said there was a segment on the news about
>shattered oven doors being on the rise. But the reason is unclear. My
>research said it might be linked to the high heat of self clean and perhaps
>we should not use that feature. I did the self clean a day or two before the
>incident and that makes me feel slightly guilty.
>
>Anyone here ever have this happen? Or have you heard of it? Makes me want to
>buy some cheap thing with no glass in the door but they don't seem to make
>them that way any more. I did have one many years ago and mostly I made
>cookies, muffins, cakes and biscuits. My nose always told me when they were
>done. It never fails me for things like that.

If you do not have one yet I would strongly recommend an airfryer
oven!

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 04:38:36 -0800 (PST), Thomas >
wrote:

>She who lives here does not cook so I am not too worried about a shattered oven.
>I have never seen a shattered oven door.

Yeah uhh a knee could NOT do that. It would take a hammer or a large
pot.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22:01 17 Nov 2019, Jeßus > wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 15:27:03 GMT, pamela >
> wrote:
>
>>On 05:45 17 Nov 2019, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>>> Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats
>>> now) where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on
>>> the floor, his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this
>>> story as there was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check
>>> this. Yes, there had been oil on the floor two days prior and it took
>>> me a long time to clean it up. So that part, I don't buy. Then there
>>> was the fact that other things in the kitchen were damaged and he
>>> claimed those damages were related to the shattered oven door, but
>>> they couldn't possibly be. I am not going to get into that!

>>Why would anyone lie about this? He's admitted to breaking the glass,
>>so why do you care how exactly how it happened?

> She doesn't. It's really all about the fact that he's left her.

The oven door is neither here nor there.

There must have been something to upset him because, as I understand it,
he got cheap food and lodgings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thomas wrote:

> She who lives here does not cook so I am not too worried about a
> shattered oven. I have never seen a shattered oven door.

Never seen one either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 12:30:26 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:45:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> >Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
> >where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on the floor,
> >his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this story as there
> >was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check this. Yes, there had been
> >oil on the floor two days prior and it took me a long time to clean it up.
> >So that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact that other things in the
> >kitchen were damaged and he claimed those damages were related to the
> >shattered oven door, but they couldn't possibly be. I am not going to get
> >into that!
> >
> >I finally have my kitchen back after his hideous foray into cooking. But....
> >No oven. I have the low end, GE, self cleaning one and it's about 15 years
> >old. So I think it would be better for me to replace it rather than repair
> >the door. Still shopping around.
> >
> >That being said, in researching shattered oven doors, it's a fairly common
> >thing and the incidents of it happening are on the rise! The first I heard
> >of this was last year at about this time when my friend got a new, high end
> >oven. She was looking forward to cooking the holiday meal, and the day
> >before the holiday, the glass shattered. The oven wasn't on and thankfully
> >no one was near it. My friend makes everything from scratch so they had a
> >very disappointing holiday meal as she was unable to bake anything.
> >Thankfully she had already made her cookies.
> >
> >Just spoke to another friend who said there was a segment on the news about
> >shattered oven doors being on the rise. But the reason is unclear. My
> >research said it might be linked to the high heat of self clean and perhaps
> >we should not use that feature. I did the self clean a day or two before the
> >incident and that makes me feel slightly guilty.
> >
> >Anyone here ever have this happen? Or have you heard of it? Makes me want to
> >buy some cheap thing with no glass in the door but they don't seem to make
> >them that way any more. I did have one many years ago and mostly I made
> >cookies, muffins, cakes and biscuits. My nose always told me when they were
> >done. It never fails me for things like that.

> If you do not have one yet I would strongly recommend an airfryer
> oven!
>
> --
>
> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

I would strongly recommend not getting an airfryer. Unless you're cooking for one, the size of the cooking chamber greatly reduces its usefulness. I don't cook a large quantity of food but the size of my air fryer is frustratingly small. If, however, you like to fiddle and fuss with your food and cooker and enjoy babysitting your food as it's cooking, I suppose you might find the air fryer satisfying.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Thomas" > wrote in message
> She who lives here does not cook so I am not too worried about a shattered
> oven.
> I have never seen a shattered oven door.

Well, you're lucky! Was a bitch to clean!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 04:38:36 -0800 (PST), Thomas >
> wrote:
>
>>She who lives here does not cook so I am not too worried about a shattered
>>oven.
>>I have never seen a shattered oven door.

> Yeah uhh a knee could NOT do that. It would take a hammer or a large
> pot.

Not from what I've read online!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/17/2019 8:34 AM, jay wrote:
>> On 11/16/19 10:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> My research said it might be linked to the high heat of self clean and
>>> perhaps we should not use that feature. I did the self clean a day or
>>> two before the incident and that makes me feel slightly guilty.

>> Yep that's what the G says.
>>
>> Never happened with a good number of ovens we have owned and We have also
>> never won the lottery.
>>
>> Sounds like you have a rather high worry quotient. Just replace it and
>> carry on worrying about something else.
>>

> Her biggest problem will be finding someone else to move in so she can
> complain about them. They would have to be willing to live there
> rent-free. Do odd jobs around the house. Move in with a dog and a goat
> and share the same food intolerances. Must love rice & beans.
>
> Recenly she posted about shattering glass/pyrex mixing bowls in her sink.
> It was strongly suggested she use stainless steel mixing bowls. Glass and
> Julie's kitchen do not mix.

Angela is welcome to move back in. No one else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/17/2019 12:45 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
>> where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on the
>> floor, his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this story
>> as there was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check this. Yes,
>> there had been oil on the floor two days prior and it took me a long time
>> to clean it up. So that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact that
>> other things in the kitchen were damaged and he claimed those damages
>> were related to the shattered oven door, but they couldn't possibly be.
>>

> I can't help with an oven search but it sounds to me like you're well rid
> of the mooch.

I found a couple of apartment sized ones. No glass. They are white, and used
but reconditioned. They are more in my price range. Store wasn't open today
and isn't open tomorrow. I'll go look. They're more in my price range.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/17/2019 10:07 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 08:56:17 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> I can't help with an oven search but it sounds to me like you're well
>>> rid of the mooch.

>> But the next question is, who will be next? And how will this
>> change its posting frequency?
>>
>> -sw
>>

> My guess is she'll still need a handyman so she'll invite another vagrant
> to move into the "back house" and eventually into her house. Because she
> just loves helping people! Of course they'll have to be interested in
> eating a lot of rice and beans and have all the same food intolerances.

One handyman has already been here. My dryer is working and the locks are
changed but he doesn't do electrical and plumbing. So my old handyman is
coming tomorrow. He's happily married.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 10:05:10 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Uh oh. Who's going to father the baby that's due in 5 months?
>>>

>> Gary got his question answered. The mooching "gardener" is gone.

> I understood that part. But my question is what about the Mooching
> Gardner's unborn baby that Julie has in her oven?

My oven no longer works.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pamela" > wrote in message
> On 05:45 17 Nov 2019, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
>> where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on the
>> floor, his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this story
>> as there was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check this. Yes,
>> there had been oil on the floor two days prior and it took me a long
>> time to clean it up. So that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact
>> that other things in the kitchen were damaged and he claimed those
>> damages were related to the shattered oven door, but they couldn't
>> possibly be. I am not going to get into that!

> Why would anyone lie about this? He's admitted to breaking the glass, so
> why
> do you care how exactly how it happened?

An accident is one thing. On purpose is another.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> [...]

> to look inside the oven... it's really just something extra to clean
> because even though it has an auto clean function it cleans the oven
> but not the glass window.... I still need to use a razor and Windex to
> clean that glass... it's a PIA job and it doesn't stay clean very
> long. The oven works great but were I to do it again I'd look for one
> without a window in the door.... I still need to open the door to
> check what's cooking inside.... with a meat thermommeter stuck into a
> roast I still need to open the door to read the thermometer. Maybe my
> vision has deteriorated. I probably should sget one of those wireless
> thermometers that sends the temperature to an external gauge. I still
> wouldn't trust it without actually examining the roast and taking its
> temperature with my trusty Sponge Bob anal thermometer. LOL

The only ones I found were apartment size and oddly they are more expensive.
I'm going to look at a few used, refurbished ones. No glass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 7:45:31 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
>> where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on the
>> floor,
>> his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this story as there
>> was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check this. Yes, there had
>> been
>> oil on the floor two days prior and it took me a long time to clean it
>> up.
>> So that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact that other things in
>> the
>> kitchen were damaged and he claimed those damages were related to the
>> shattered oven door, but they couldn't possibly be. I am not going to get
>> into that!
>>
>> I finally have my kitchen back after his hideous foray into cooking.
>> But...
>> No oven. I have the low end, GE, self cleaning one and it's about 15
>> years
>> old. So I think it would be better for me to replace it rather than
>> repair
>> the door. Still shopping around.
>>
>> That being said, in researching shattered oven doors, it's a fairly
>> common
>> thing and the incidents of it happening are on the rise! The first I
>> heard
>> of this was last year at about this time when my friend got a new, high
>> end
>> oven. She was looking forward to cooking the holiday meal, and the day
>> before the holiday, the glass shattered. The oven wasn't on and
>> thankfully
>> no one was near it. My friend makes everything from scratch so they had a
>> very disappointing holiday meal as she was unable to bake anything.
>> Thankfully she had already made her cookies.
>>
>> Just spoke to another friend who said there was a segment on the news
>> about
>> shattered oven doors being on the rise. But the reason is unclear. My
>> research said it might be linked to the high heat of self clean and
>> perhaps
>> we should not use that feature. I did the self clean a day or two before
>> the
>> incident and that makes me feel slightly guilty.
>>
>> Anyone here ever have this happen? Or have you heard of it? Makes me want
>> buy some cheap thing with no glass in the door but they don't seem to
>> make
>> them that way any more. I did have one many years ago and mostly I made
>> cookies, muffins, cakes and biscuits. My nose always told me when they
>> were
>> done. It never fails me for things like that.

> This is why we should have cameras inside the oven and ditch the glass in
> doors. Just put a display on the door or stream the video to your cell
> phone.

That would be cool!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> [...]
> >buy some cheap thing with no glass in the door but they don't seem to
> >make
> >them that way any more. I did have one many years ago and mostly I made
> >cookies, muffins, cakes and biscuits. My nose always told me when they
> >were
> >done. It never fails me for things like that.

> If you do not have one yet I would strongly recommend an airfryer
> oven!
>
> --
>
> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

I would strongly recommend not getting an airfryer. Unless you're cooking
for one, the size of the cooking chamber greatly reduces its usefulness. I
don't cook a large quantity of food but the size of my air fryer is
frustratingly small. If, however, you like to fiddle and fuss with your food
and cooker and enjoy babysitting your food as it's cooking, I suppose you

---

I did look into them. I see no need for one whatever and I'd rather have the
counter space. I have no place to store one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:45:14 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Then there was the fact that other things in the
>> kitchen were damaged and he claimed those damages were related to the
>> shattered oven door, but they couldn't possibly be. I am not going to get
>> into that!

> Did you kick him out or did he get all huffy, say **** you, and got
> his shit out before you told him?
>
> My bet's on the latter.

That's nobody's business but ours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 01:09:53 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 12:30:26 PM UTC-10, wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:45:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>I would strongly recommend not getting an airfryer. Unless you're cooking for one, the size of the cooking chamber greatly reduces its usefulness. I don't cook a large quantity of food but the size of my air fryer is frustratingly small. If, however, you like to fiddle and fuss with your food and cooker and enjoy babysitting your food as it's cooking, I suppose you might find the air fryer satisfying.

We cook for 2 and the air fryer is big enough. Maybe in your country
portions are different?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 11:28:52 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/17/2019 8:34 AM, jay wrote:
>> On 11/16/19 10:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> My research said it might be linked to the high heat of self clean and
>>> perhaps we should not use that feature. I did the self clean a day or
>>> two before the incident and that makes me feel slightly guilty.

>> Yep that's what the G says.
>>
>> Never happened with a good number of ovens we have owned and We have
>> also never won the lottery.
>>
>> Sounds like you have a rather high worry quotient.Â* Just replace it and
>> carry on worrying about something else.
>>

>Her biggest problem will be finding someone else to move in so she can
>complain about them.

Ask her. She's here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 10:11:46 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/17/2019 10:07 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 08:56:17 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> I can't help with an oven search but it sounds to me like you're well
>>> rid of the mooch.

>> But the next question is, who will be next? And how will this
>> change its posting frequency?
>>
>> -sw
>>

>My guess is she'll still need a handyman

Ask her. She's here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:45:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
>where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on the floor,
>his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this story as there
>was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check this. Yes, there had been
>oil on the floor two days prior and it took me a long time to clean it up.
>So that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact that other things in the
>kitchen were damaged and he claimed those damages were related to the
>shattered oven door, but they couldn't possibly be. I am not going to get
>into that!

snip
can't you just contact an appliance repair man and get a new oven
door?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2019 10:21 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:45:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
>> where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on the floor,
>> his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this story as there
>> was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check this. Yes, there had been
>> oil on the floor two days prior and it took me a long time to clean it up.
>> So that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact that other things in the
>> kitchen were damaged and he claimed those damages were related to the
>> shattered oven door, but they couldn't possibly be. I am not going to get
>> into that!
>>

> snip
> can't you just contact an appliance repair man and get a new oven
> door?
> Janet US

Sure, but it may cost half a new range. Depends on your situation. If
you have an older range and can afford an updated model, great time to
do it. If not, new door is cheapest. Only takes a phone call to find
out the cost.

With a car you can always find a new fender at the junk yard. Shame
they don't have appliance junk yards.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2019 10:21 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:45:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
>> where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on the floor,
>> his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this story as there
>> was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check this. Yes, there had been
>> oil on the floor two days prior and it took me a long time to clean it up.
>> So that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact that other things in the
>> kitchen were damaged and he claimed those damages were related to the
>> shattered oven door, but they couldn't possibly be. I am not going to get
>> into that!
>>

> snip
> can't you just contact an appliance repair man and get a new oven
> door?
> Janet US

That would be too easy. Heck, even *I* can find an appliance repair
person to come to my house. Also, if he admitted to breaking it, what's
the excuse? Slip & fall? It's not as if he was in a supermarket. *He*
was the one using the oven. He admitted he broke it, he should pay for
at least half of the cost of repairing it. That won't happen. I'm
betting he didn't leave a forwarding address.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2019 10:30 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 11/18/2019 10:21 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:45:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
>>> where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on the
>>> floor,
>>> his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this story as
>>> there
>>> was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check this. Yes, there
>>> had been
>>> oil on the floor two days prior and it took me a long time to clean
>>> it up.
>>> So that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact that other things
>>> in the
>>> kitchen were damaged and he claimed those damages were related to the
>>> shattered oven door, but they couldn't possibly be. I am not going to
>>> get
>>> into that!
>>>

>> snip
>> can't you just contact an appliance repair man and get a new oven
>> door?
>> Janet US
>>

> Sure, but it may cost half a new range.Â* Depends on your situation.Â* If
> you have an older range and can afford an updated model, great time to
> do it.Â* If not, new door is cheapest.Â* Only takes a phone call to find
> out the cost.
>
> With a car you can always find a new fender at the junk yard.Â* Shame
> they don't have appliance junk yards.

Years back I remember seeing "scratch and dent" appliance stores. There
was nothing wrong with them other than they were not pristine in
appearance.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-18 8:30 a.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 11/18/2019 10:21 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:45:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
>>> where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on the
>>> floor,
>>> his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this story as
>>> there
>>> was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check this. Yes, there
>>> had been
>>> oil on the floor two days prior and it took me a long time to clean
>>> it up.
>>> So that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact that other things
>>> in the
>>> kitchen were damaged and he claimed those damages were related to the
>>> shattered oven door, but they couldn't possibly be. I am not going to
>>> get
>>> into that!
>>>

>> snip
>> can't you just contact an appliance repair man and get a new oven
>> door?
>> Janet US
>>

> Sure, but it may cost half a new range.Â* Depends on your situation.Â* If
> you have an older range and can afford an updated model, great time to
> do it.Â* If not, new door is cheapest.Â* Only takes a phone call to find
> out the cost.
>
> With a car you can always find a new fender at the junk yard.Â* Shame
> they don't have appliance junk yards.

Actually they exist but as appliance stores in "poor" areas of a city.
Such shops sell reconditioned appliances and usually have a large stock
of oven and fridge doors.
Before I renovated my kitchen, I had an old, chocolate brown fridge in
which the door liner was cracked. I found a replacement in such a store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-18 10:47 a.m., jmcquown wrote:

>> With a car you can always find a new fender at the junk yard.Â* Shame
>> they don't have appliance junk yards.

> Years back I remember seeing "scratch and dent" appliance stores.Â* There
> was nothing wrong with them other than they were not pristine in
> appearance.

I bought a fridge and a stove at a scratch and dent sale. They were
both Maytag. There was a small dent on the side fridge, about a foot up
from the bottom. It was well hidden behind the counter. The stove was a
glass top with a honeycomb pattern with little
interconnected octagons and each cell had a dot in the middle. One or
two of the cells were missing dots.

I had problems with both of those appliances. The stove worked fine
until I put something on the right front corner. I got to know a few of
the Maytag repairmen. They replaced the oven and I had a the same
problem with the one. Several repair calls later the guy figured out
what the problem was. I would say it was just a bad connection, except
that bad electrical connections can be dangerous. The fridge worked
okay but the door shelves had a habit of slipping out of place. The one
with the butter keeper fell out so many times that the clear lid broke.
I tried to get a new one but they just weren't available.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 02:00:46 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"pamela" > wrote in message
>> On 05:45 17 Nov 2019, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>>> Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
>>> where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on the
>>> floor, his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this story
>>> as there was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check this. Yes,
>>> there had been oil on the floor two days prior and it took me a long
>>> time to clean it up. So that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact
>>> that other things in the kitchen were damaged and he claimed those
>>> damages were related to the shattered oven door, but they couldn't
>>> possibly be. I am not going to get into that!

>> Why would anyone lie about this? He's admitted to breaking the glass, so
>> why
>> do you care how exactly how it happened?

>An accident is one thing. On purpose is another.

You forgot to mention occuring due to stupidity.... in fact most times
it's not an accident, it's stupidity... I seriously doubt it was an on
purpose. No one is stupid on purpose... 'cept maybe Kootchie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> [...]

>> >buy some cheap thing with no glass in the door but they don't seem to make
>> >them that way any more. I did have one many years ago and mostly I made
>> >cookies, muffins, cakes and biscuits. My nose always told me when they were
>> >done. It never fails me for things like that.

>> If you do not have one yet I would strongly recommend an airfryer
>> oven!
>>
>> --
>>
>> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

>I would strongly recommend not getting an airfryer. Unless you're cooking for one, the size of the cooking chamber greatly reduces its usefulness. I don't cook a large quantity of food but the size of my air fryer is frustratingly small. If, however, you like to fiddle and fuss with your food and cooker and enjoy babysitting your food as it's cooking, I suppose you might find the air fryer satisfying.

well I have a power air fryer oven, I can cook enough food for several
days or for several people

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 21:11:06 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 01:09:53 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 12:30:26 PM UTC-10, wrote:
>>> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:45:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>I would strongly recommend not getting an airfryer. Unless you're cooking for one, the size of the cooking chamber greatly reduces its usefulness. I don't cook a large quantity of food but the size of my air fryer is frustratingly small. If, however, you like to fiddle and fuss with your food and cooker and enjoy babysitting your food as it's cooking, I suppose you might find the air fryer satisfying.

>We cook for 2 and the air fryer is big enough. Maybe in your country
>portions are different?

I wouldn't want something I'd have to clean that's only capable of two
toddler sized portions.

If I'm going to take the time and make the effort to actually cook I'm
going to cook enough to have lots of left overs for my freezer. I've
already seen what the Ukelele calls cooking, I wouldn't want any,
especially not as left overs.... all his dishes look exactly the same,
closely resembling what comes from a can of Chun King.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 02:00:46 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> Why would anyone lie about this? He's admitted to breaking the glass,
>>> so
>>> why
>>> do you care how exactly how it happened?

>>An accident is one thing. On purpose is another.

> You forgot to mention occuring due to stupidity.... in fact most times
> it's not an accident, it's stupidity... I seriously doubt it was an on
> purpose. No one is stupid on purpose... 'cept maybe Kootchie.

I have reason to believe otherwise. Not gonna get into that.