Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shattered oven door.

wrote:

>>>I would strongly recommend not getting an airfryer. Unless you're cooking
>>>for one, the size of the cooking chamber greatly reduces its usefulness.
>>>I don't cook a large quantity of food but the size of my air fryer is
>>>frustratingly small. If, however, you like to fiddle and fuss with your
>>>food and cooker and enjoy babysitting your food as it's cooking, I
>>>suppose you might find the air fryer satisfying.

>>We cook for 2 and the air fryer is big enough. Maybe in your country
>>portions are different?

> I wouldn't want something I'd have to clean that's only capable of two
> toddler sized portions.
>
> If I'm going to take the time and make the effort to actually cook I'm
> going to cook enough to have lots of left overs for my freezer. I've
> already seen what the Ukelele calls cooking, I wouldn't want any,
> especially not as left overs.... all his dishes look exactly the same,
> closely resembling what comes from a can of Chun King.

You're right on that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 13:33:20 -0500, wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 21:11:06 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 01:09:53 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>>>I would strongly recommend not getting an airfryer. Unless you're cooking for one, the size of the cooking chamber greatly reduces its usefulness. I don't cook a large quantity of food but the size of my air fryer is frustratingly small. If, however, you like to fiddle and fuss with your food and cooker and enjoy babysitting your food as it's cooking, I suppose you might find the air fryer satisfying.

>>We cook for 2 and the air fryer is big enough. Maybe in your country
>>portions are different?

>I wouldn't want something I'd have to clean that's only capable of two
>toddler sized portions.

Who said toddler sized?

>If I'm going to take the time and make the effort to actually cook I'm
>going to cook enough to have lots of left overs for my freezer.

Fried potatoes are better fresh than from the freezer.

>I've
>already seen what the Ukelele calls cooking, I wouldn't want any,
>especially not as left overs.... all his dishes look exactly the same,
>closely resembling what comes from a can of Chun King.

Do you want to know what I'd choose if I had to choose between his
cooking and yours?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:45:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
>>where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on the
>>floor,
>>his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this story as there
>>was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check this. Yes, there had
>>been
>>oil on the floor two days prior and it took me a long time to clean it up.
>>So that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact that other things in
>>the
>>kitchen were damaged and he claimed those damages were related to the
>>shattered oven door, but they couldn't possibly be. I am not going to get
>>into that!
>>

> snip
> can't you just contact an appliance repair man and get a new oven
> door?
> Janet US

I could I don't think it warrants the cost. I already replaced one burner
due to rust. That burner is the one I use the most and it looks like it
might need to be replaced again. The handyman who was out, said he might be
able to do it. I'll ask my old handyman who will be here soon. But it looks
like the part is around $70 plus shipping. Then there is the installation
fee. I had an appliance repair guy here once. $250. That's half the price of
a new stove. A used one is less than that. With just me here now, I won't be
doing much cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 11/18/2019 10:21 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:45:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
>>> where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on the
>>> floor,
>>> his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this story as
>>> there
>>> was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check this. Yes, there had
>>> been
>>> oil on the floor two days prior and it took me a long time to clean it
>>> up.
>>> So that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact that other things in
>>> the
>>> kitchen were damaged and he claimed those damages were related to the
>>> shattered oven door, but they couldn't possibly be. I am not going to
>>> get
>>> into that!
>>>

>> snip
>> can't you just contact an appliance repair man and get a new oven
>> door?
>> Janet US
>>

> Sure, but it may cost half a new range. Depends on your situation. If
> you have an older range and can afford an updated model, great time to do
> it. If not, new door is cheapest. Only takes a phone call to find out
> the cost.
>
> With a car you can always find a new fender at the junk yard. Shame they
> don't have appliance junk yards.

There is this place:

http://homeappliancebargains.com/prestashop/

I plan to get a used stove from them in white. Then as my other appliances
fail, I'll go with white. White is much easier to find. I didn't switch
before as I didn't want to switch the range hood but it is damaged due to
smoke. So it will be replaced too! In white. I think white will look better
in there anyway as the floor is black and white.

They will likely take my old stove, fix it up and sell it.

Used to be a place in Lynnwood that had everything. I mean everything. Even
if it was obscure, they would have it. You might have to put on hip waders
(they provided them) and go digging. It might take you three days to find
it, but they had it!

Also in Lynnwood was a great little appliance store that would order and if
you needed it, install parts for a reasonable price.

Sadly both of those places are gone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/18/2019 10:30 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 11/18/2019 10:21 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:45:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> snip
>>> can't you just contact an appliance repair man and get a new oven
>>> door?
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Sure, but it may cost half a new range. Depends on your situation. If you
>> have an older range and can afford an updated model, great time to do it.
>> If not, new door is cheapest. Only takes a phone call to find out the
>> cost.
>>
>> With a car you can always find a new fender at the junk yard. Shame they
>> don't have appliance junk yards.

> Years back I remember seeing "scratch and dent" appliance stores. There
> was nothing wrong with them other than they were not pristine in
> appearance.

Yes. We had one of those too. It's gone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2019-11-18 10:47 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> With a car you can always find a new fender at the junk yard. Shame they
>>> don't have appliance junk yards.

>> Years back I remember seeing "scratch and dent" appliance stores. There
>> was nothing wrong with them other than they were not pristine in
>> appearance.

> I bought a fridge and a stove at a scratch and dent sale. They were both
> Maytag. There was a small dent on the side fridge, about a foot up from
> the bottom. It was well hidden behind the counter. The stove was a glass
> top with a honeycomb pattern with little interconnected octagons and each
> cell had a dot in the middle. One or two of the cells were missing dots.
>
> I had problems with both of those appliances. The stove worked fine until
> I put something on the right front corner. I got to know a few of the
> Maytag repairmen. They replaced the oven and I had a the same problem
> with the one. Several repair calls later the guy figured out what the
> problem was. I would say it was just a bad connection, except that bad
> electrical connections can be dangerous. The fridge worked okay but the
> door shelves had a habit of slipping out of place. The one with the butter
> keeper fell out so many times that the clear lid broke. I tried to get a
> new one but they just weren't available.

I had trouble with both of the little fridges I had. They were not scratch
and dent though. The same pieces kept falling off, sometimes to the point of
breaking. I could not find replacement parts so used duct tape. The smaller
one cost $40. It was fine for a couple of years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 2019-11-18 8:30 a.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 11/18/2019 10:21 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:45:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> snip
>>> can't you just contact an appliance repair man and get a new oven
>>> door?
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Sure, but it may cost half a new range. Depends on your situation. If you
>> have an older range and can afford an updated model, great time to do it.
>> If not, new door is cheapest. Only takes a phone call to find out the
>> cost.
>>
>> With a car you can always find a new fender at the junk yard. Shame they
>> don't have appliance junk yards.

> Actually they exist but as appliance stores in "poor" areas of a city.
> Such shops sell reconditioned appliances and usually have a large stock of
> oven and fridge doors.
> Before I renovated my kitchen, I had an old, chocolate brown fridge in
> which the door liner was cracked. I found a replacement in such a store.

There's actually a store like that pretty much right across the street from
me. I intend to get a reconditioned stove. I'm not in a poor area though.

Cheaper still is this place but I believe those things are sold a is.

https://www.seconduse.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 10:30:05 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 11/18/2019 10:21 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:45:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
>>> where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on the floor,
>>> his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this story as there
>>> was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check this. Yes, there had been
>>> oil on the floor two days prior and it took me a long time to clean it up.
>>> So that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact that other things in the
>>> kitchen were damaged and he claimed those damages were related to the
>>> shattered oven door, but they couldn't possibly be. I am not going to get
>>> into that!
>>>

>> snip
>> can't you just contact an appliance repair man and get a new oven
>> door?
>> Janet US
>>

>Sure, but it may cost half a new range. Depends on your situation. If
>you have an older range and can afford an updated model, great time to
>do it. If not, new door is cheapest. Only takes a phone call to find
>out the cost.
>
>With a car you can always find a new fender at the junk yard. Shame
>they don't have appliance junk yards.

Actually they do have appliance junk yards... same as one can purchase
reconditioned appliances. There are plenty of mom n' pop appliance
stores whose main business is selling reconditioned appliances, and in
my experience they've been better than new. My basement fridge was
twenty years old when I bought it for $100 and it's been running
perfectly for 16 years now. There are lots of used appliance
stores... what do you think happens to the old appliances when some
fool buys a brand new one for mega bucks because it has to look
perfectly modern. Many times the old appliances were made much
better. heavier gauge sheet metal. better paint jobs, better chrome
plating, and heavier duty motors. I really don't care that the older
appliances didn't have computer moduals, they typically won't last
five years and cost an arm and two legs to replace. The main reason I
keep my 1990 Landcruiser is because it has no computer moduals and
everything about it more heavy duty than in a new one that now costs
nearly four times as much as I paid and won't last half as long if
that. Occasionally I'll look at new kitchen stoves and fridges,
thay're all made of crap pot metal. Yars ago I worked for O'Keefe and
Merrit, the west coast name for Tappen. Each year those appliances
are made crappier. Cadilac was once top of the line for all
automobiles, today Cadilac is as crappy as crappy gets... an Edsel was
made far better than today's Caddy. Today's Caddy is made to Asian
standards. it's seat barely fits a boney Asian ass. can't even get
properly laid in a modern Caddy... my '78 Eldorado's interior was more
spacious, oppulent, and comfy than the best Vegas honeymoon suite. A
'78 Eldorado was more lavish than any vehicle on the market today...
in comparison a new Rolls Royce is a junk yard POS... I wouldn't pay
$50 for a brand new Rolls, it's gotta be more comfortable sitting atop
a camel.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/18/2019 10:21 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:45:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
>>> where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on the
>>> floor,
>>> his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this story as
>>> there
>>> was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check this. Yes, there had
>>> been
>>> oil on the floor two days prior and it took me a long time to clean it
>>> up.
>>> So that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact that other things in
>>> the
>>> kitchen were damaged and he claimed those damages were related to the
>>> shattered oven door, but they couldn't possibly be. I am not going to
>>> get
>>> into that!
>>>

>> snip
>> can't you just contact an appliance repair man and get a new oven
>> door?
>> Janet US
>>

> That would be too easy. Heck, even *I* can find an appliance repair
> person to come to my house. Also, if he admitted to breaking it, what's
> the excuse? Slip & fall? It's not as if he was in a supermarket. *He*
> was the one using the oven. He admitted he broke it, he should pay for at
> least half of the cost of repairing it. That won't happen. I'm betting
> he didn't leave a forwarding address.

That is the claim. He slipped and fell.

Of course I can find an appliance repair person but I bought the cheapest
stove possible. Probably not worth it to repair.

I do have to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one because this very
issue was on the news and they said incidents are increasing. It can happen
with nobody even near the stop. Nobody knows why but they are urging people
not to use self clean. I did use self clean feature just prior.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message news
On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 10:11:46 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/17/2019 10:07 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 08:56:17 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> I can't help with an oven search but it sounds to me like you're well
>>> rid of the mooch.

>> But the next question is, who will be next? And how will this
>> change its posting frequency?
>>
>> -sw
>>

>My guess is she'll still need a handyman

Ask her. She's here.

===

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 12:11:09 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 01:09:53 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 12:30:26 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> >> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:45:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"

> >I would strongly recommend not getting an airfryer. Unless you're cooking for one, the size of the cooking chamber greatly reduces its usefulness. I don't cook a large quantity of food but the size of my air fryer is frustratingly small. If, however, you like to fiddle and fuss with your food and cooker and enjoy babysitting your food as it's cooking, I suppose you might find the air fryer satisfying.

> We cook for 2 and the air fryer is big enough. Maybe in your country
> portions are different?

I suppose I'd be more motivated if I was afraid to death at the idea of frying food in oil. As it goes, I don't need the fussiness and aggravation. Frying food in oil is messy and scary but the results are unbeatable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 12:52:08 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 11/18/2019 10:21 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

snip

>Of course I can find an appliance repair person but I bought the cheapest
>stove possible. Probably not worth it to repair.

I always thought that if the price of a repair was less than the price
of new, it was an indulgence to buy new when money is tight.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 8:32:56 AM UTC-10,

> well I have a power air fryer oven, I can cook enough food for several
> days or for several people
>
> --
>
> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

You mean one of these? That looks like it might be a satisfactory solution to the small capacity units. It might be able to replace a toaster oven - that's a good thing.

https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Power-...FO-B/308668525
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 02:00:46 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> An accident is one thing. On purpose is another.

>> You forgot to mention occuring due to stupidity.... in fact most
>> times
>> it's not an accident, it's stupidity... I seriously doubt it was
>> an on
>> purpose.* No one is stupid on purpose... 'cept maybe Kootchie.

> I have reason to believe otherwise. Not gonna get into that.

Yoose will need a new gardener. I think Popeye would be an excellent
choice and he's always available.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 14:15:24 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 12:11:09 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 01:09:53 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >I would strongly recommend not getting an airfryer. Unless you're cooking for one, the size of the cooking chamber greatly reduces its usefulness. I don't cook a large quantity of food but the size of my air fryer is frustratingly small. If, however, you like to fiddle and fuss with your food and cooker and enjoy babysitting your food as it's cooking, I suppose you might find the air fryer satisfying.

>> We cook for 2 and the air fryer is big enough. Maybe in your country
>> portions are different?

>I suppose I'd be more motivated if I was afraid to death at the idea of frying food in oil. As it goes, I don't need the fussiness and aggravation. Frying food in oil is messy and scary but the results are unbeatable.

Ah, you're changing your story. It's no longer about the size of the
portions

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10:00 18 Nov 2019, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "pamela" > wrote in message
>> On 05:45 17 Nov 2019, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>>> Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the cats now)
>>> where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped on oil on the
>>> floor, his knee hit the door and it shattered. I did not buy this story
>>> as there was no oil on the floor. I had Angela double check this. Yes,
>>> there had been oil on the floor two days prior and it took me a long
>>> time to clean it up. So that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact
>>> that other things in the kitchen were damaged and he claimed those
>>> damages were related to the shattered oven door, but they couldn't
>>> possibly be. I am not going to get into that!

>> Why would anyone lie about this? He's admitted to breaking the glass, so
>> why
>> do you care how exactly how it happened?

> An accident is one thing. On purpose is another.

Don't you take Hanlon's Razor into account?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-18 2:03 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:

> "U.S
>> can't you just contact an appliance repair man and get a new oven
>> door?
>> Janet US

> I could I don't think it warrants the cost. I already replaced one
> burner due to rust. That burner is the one I use the most and it looks
> like it might need to be replaced again. The handyman who was out, said
> he might be able to do it. I'll ask my old handyman who will be here
> soon. But it looks like the part is around $70 plus shipping. Then there
> is the installation fee. I had an appliance repair guy here once. $250.
> That's half the price of a new stove. A used one is less than that. With
> just me here now, I won't be doing much cooking.

An installation fee for an oven door?They slip into place easily. If is
is not a self cleaning oven you usually need to take the door off to
clean in. There are two little lock clips that you flip up and then you
lift it up and out. Any fool can to it.... almost any fool.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 10:38:28 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message
>>
>>> You forgot to mention occuring due to stupidity.... in fact most times
>>> it's not an accident, it's stupidity... I seriously doubt it was an on
>>> purpose. No one is stupid on purpose... 'cept maybe Kootchie.

>> I have reason to believe otherwise. Not gonna get into that.

> Do you still insist he wasn't doing hard drugs?

I have seen no evidence.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 10:11:46 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> But the next question is, who will be next? And how will this
>>> change its posting frequency?
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>>My guess is she'll still need a handyman

> Ask her. She's here.

My old Handyman just left. His name is Shawn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 12:53:08 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 14:15:24 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 12:11:09 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 01:09:53 -0800 (PST), dsi1

> >> We cook for 2 and the air fryer is big enough. Maybe in your country
> >> portions are different?

> >I suppose I'd be more motivated if I was afraid to death at the idea of frying food in oil. As it goes, I don't need the fussiness and aggravation. Frying food in oil is messy and scary but the results are unbeatable.

> Ah, you're changing your story. It's no longer about the size of the
> portions

It still is but I'd probably be more motivated if I was afraid to death at the idea of frying food. My guess is that's your main motivation - unless you enjoy cooking foods in really small portions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2019-11-18 2:03 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "U.S
>>> can't you just contact an appliance repair man and get a new oven
>>> door?
>>> Janet US

>> I could I don't think it warrants the cost. I already replaced one burner
>> due to rust. That burner is the one I use the most and it looks like it
>> might need to be replaced again. The handyman who was out, said he might
>> be able to do it. I'll ask my old handyman who will be here soon. But it
>> looks like the part is around $70 plus shipping. Then there is the
>> installation fee. I had an appliance repair guy here once. $250. That's
>> half the price of a new stove. A used one is less than that. With just me
>> here now, I won't be doing much cooking.

> An installation fee for an oven door?They slip into place easily. If is is
> not a self cleaning oven you usually need to take the door off to clean
> in. There are two little lock clips that you flip up and then you lift it
> up and out. Any fool can to it.... almost any fool.

The door is fine. It's the glass panel which oddly enough looked like metal
with a window in it to me. But apparently it's all glass. Shawn is going to
get me a stove from a friend who reconditions them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 13:33:20 -0500, wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 21:11:06 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 01:09:53 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>>>I would strongly recommend not getting an airfryer. Unless you're cooking for one, the size of the cooking chamber greatly reduces its usefulness. I don't cook a large quantity of food but the size of my air fryer is frustratingly small. If, however, you like to fiddle and fuss with your food and cooker and enjoy babysitting your food as it's cooking, I suppose you might find the air fryer satisfying.

>>We cook for 2 and the air fryer is big enough. Maybe in your country
>>portions are different?

>I wouldn't want something I'd have to clean that's only capable of two
>toddler sized portions.

LOL, I can precook about 8 large fries.....
I can fry 2 entire cauliflower
I can cook 2 large steaks 2 baked potatoes
and 4 corn on the corn at the same time and still have enough room
for green beans.

I have made enough food to be able to freeze and eat 5-6 more meals
out of it.

>If I'm going to take the time and make the effort to actually cook I'm
>going to cook enough to have lots of left overs for my freezer. I've
>already seen what the Ukelele calls cooking, I wouldn't want any,
>especially not as left overs.... all his dishes look exactly the same,
>closely resembling what comes from a can of Chun King.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 05:43:25 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 13:33:20 -0500, wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 21:11:06 +1100, Bruce >
>>wrote:

>>>We cook for 2 and the air fryer is big enough. Maybe in your country
>>>portions are different?

>>I wouldn't want something I'd have to clean that's only capable of two
>>toddler sized portions.

>Who said toddler sized?
>
>>If I'm going to take the time and make the effort to actually cook I'm
>>going to cook enough to have lots of left overs for my freezer.

>Fried potatoes are better fresh than from the freezer.
>
>>I've
>>already seen what the Ukelele calls cooking, I wouldn't want any,
>>especially not as left overs.... all his dishes look exactly the same,
>>closely resembling what comes from a can of Chun King.

>Do you want to know what I'd choose if I had to choose between his
>cooking and yours?

Bruce, people fear what they do not understand.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 14:23:40 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 8:32:56 AM UTC-10,
>>
>> well I have a power air fryer oven, I can cook enough food for several
>> days or for several people
>>
>> --
>>
>> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

>You mean one of these? That looks like it might be a satisfactory solution to the small capacity units. It might be able to replace a toaster oven - that's a good thing.
>
>https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Power-...FO-B/308668525

yeah that is it, although the one I have is a bit of an older model.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 12:52:08 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> On 11/18/2019 10:21 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> snip
>>
>>Of course I can find an appliance repair person but I bought the cheapest
>>stove possible. Probably not worth it to repair.
>>

> I always thought that if the price of a repair was less than the price
> of new, it was an indulgence to buy new when money is tight.
> Janet US

Yes but this stove will need at least two burners replaced soon. Last time I
ordered a burner, it was $35 plus shipping. If the glass is $70 plus
shipping then about $75 for installation (45 min,) the another $70 (or more)
plus shipping, that's over $215. The other two burners would need to be
replaced soon after. That's another $70+. Add in the drip pans which I will
also need soon because while I was in the hospital, my ex put the brand new
ones in and ruined them.

A new stove is $430. So it doesn't seem prudent to repair.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 12:11:09 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 01:09:53 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 12:30:26 PM UTC-10,
> wrote:
> >> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:45:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"

> >I would strongly recommend not getting an airfryer. Unless you're cooking
> >for one, the size of the cooking chamber greatly reduces its usefulness.
> >I don't cook a large quantity of food but the size of my air fryer is
> >frustratingly small. If, however, you like to fiddle and fuss with your
> >food and cooker and enjoy babysitting your food as it's cooking, I
> >suppose you might find the air fryer satisfying.

> We cook for 2 and the air fryer is big enough. Maybe in your country
> portions are different?

I suppose I'd be more motivated if I was afraid to death at the idea of
frying food in oil. As it goes, I don't need the fussiness and aggravation.
Frying food in oil is messy and scary but the results are unbeatable.

---

I haven't deep fried since the 70's. For the most part, I don't like fried
food. Once in a while I'll have French fries, onion rings or Jack In The Box
Tacos. But I just buy them already made.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 8:32:56 AM UTC-10,
>>
>> well I have a power air fryer oven, I can cook enough food for several
>> days or for several people
>>
>> --
>>
>> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

> You mean one of these? That looks like it might be a satisfactory solution
> to the small capacity units. It might be able to replace a toaster oven -
> that's a good thing.
>
> https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Power-...FO-B/308668525

---
It holds 6 quarts of oil?

My friend (the one who had the oven door shatter) just got an air fryer. She
posted a pic of their dinner. Zucchini and chicken. Both looked the same.
Brown. Not very appetizing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > > Had an incident with he who longer lives here (Just me and the
> > > cats now) where the oven door shattered. The claim is he slipped
> > > on oil on the >floor, his knee hit the door and it shattered. I
> > > did not buy this story as there was no oil on the floor. I had
> > > Angela double check this. Yes, there had >been oil on the floor
> > > two days prior and it took me a long time to clean it >up. So
> > > that part, I don't buy. Then there was the fact that other things
> > > in >the kitchen were damaged and he claimed those damages were
> > > related to the shattered oven door, but they couldn't possibly
> > > be. I am not going to get into that!
> > >
> > > I finally have my kitchen back after his hideous foray into
> > > cooking. >But... No oven. I have the low end, GE, self cleaning
> > > one and it's about 15 >years old. So I think it would be better
> > > for me to replace it rather than >repair the door. Still
> > > shopping around.
> > >
> > > That being said, in researching shattered oven doors, it's a
> > > fairly >common thing and the incidents of it happening are on
> > > the rise! The first I >heard of this was last year at about this
> > > time when my friend got a new, high >end oven. She was looking
> > > forward to cooking the holiday meal, and the day before the
> > > holiday, the glass shattered. The oven wasn't on and >thankfully
> > > no one was near it. My friend makes everything from scratch so
> > > they had a very disappointing holiday meal as she was unable to
> > > bake anything. Thankfully she had already made her cookies.
> > >
> > > Just spoke to another friend who said there was a segment on the
> > > news >about shattered oven doors being on the rise. But the
> > > reason is unclear. My research said it might be linked to the
> > > high heat of self clean and >perhaps we should not use that
> > > feature. I did the self clean a day or two before >the incident
> > > and that makes me feel slightly guilty.
> > >
> > > Anyone here ever have this happen? Or have you heard of it? Makes
> > > me want >to buy some cheap thing with no glass in the door but
> > > they don't seem to >make them that way any more. I did have one
> > > many years ago and mostly I made cookies, muffins, cakes and
> > > biscuits. My nose always told me when they >were done. It never
> > > fails me for things like that.

> > If you do not have one yet I would strongly recommend an airfryer
> > oven!
> >
> > --
> >
> > ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

> I would strongly recommend not getting an airfryer. Unless you're
> cooking for one, the size of the cooking chamber greatly reduces its
> usefulness. I don't cook a large quantity of food but the size of my
> air fryer is frustratingly small. If, however, you like to fiddle and
> fuss with your food and cooker and enjoy babysitting your food as
> it's cooking, I suppose you might find the air fryer satisfying.
>
> ---
>
> I did look into them. I see no need for one whatever and I'd rather
> have the counter space. I have no place to store one.

I have one but I have storage for it. It was nice if Charltte or I had
a hankering for a few tater tots or something. Less hassle than
cleaning up a toaster own and the amounts were too small to use the
oven.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 20:41:14 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 02:08:07 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> That's nobody's business but ours.

>Half your post was about the drama surrounding all his. You love
>the drama and love to flaunt it. Otherwise you would have just
>said, "I need a new oven without a window. Any suggestion?"
>Instead of 10 words it took you 1,026 words.
>
>So you told him to pay for the door and other shut, and he finally
>realized his mooching game was over and stormed out with a big 'ol
>"**** You, crazy controlling bitch!".
>
>And you know what he's eating right now? Gluten.

Nosy Steve soooooo wants to know what happened. He's almost bursting
with curiosity
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 01:52:14 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Angela is welcome to move back in. No one else.

> Once she and her best friend break up and drop out of nursing
> school. It's inevitable.

Nursing school?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 20:41:14 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 02:08:07 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> That's nobody's business but ours.

>>Half your post was about the drama surrounding all his. You love
>>the drama and love to flaunt it. Otherwise you would have just
>>said, "I need a new oven without a window. Any suggestion?"
>>Instead of 10 words it took you 1,026 words.
>>
>>So you told him to pay for the door and other shut, and he finally
>>realized his mooching game was over and stormed out with a big 'ol
>>"**** You, crazy controlling bitch!".
>>
>>And you know what he's eating right now? Gluten.

> Nosy Steve soooooo wants to know what happened. He's almost bursting
> with curiosity

He's luring him with his baked goods!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 2:52:05 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message
> > On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 8:32:56 AM UTC-10,
> >>
> >> well I have a power air fryer oven, I can cook enough food for several
> >> days or for several people
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

> > You mean one of these? That looks like it might be a satisfactory solution
> > to the small capacity units. It might be able to replace a toaster oven -
> > that's a good thing.
> >
> > https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Power-...FO-B/308668525

> ---
> It holds 6 quarts of oil?
>
> My friend (the one who had the oven door shatter) just got an air fryer. She
> posted a pic of their dinner. Zucchini and chicken. Both looked the same.
> Brown. Not very appetizing.

Somebody's mixed up air with oil. It's a common mistake - it happens all that time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 19:17:58 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Once she and her best friend break up and drop out of nursing
>>> school. It's inevitable.

>> Nursing school?

> Yes. Pima Medical Institute, to be exact. From their website:
>
> Programs:
> We offer certificate, associate and bachelor degree programs in
> allied healthcare and nursing.
>
> So what kind of nit are you going to pick about that now? Oh, just
> save it, OK? But you'll pick it anyway. Go ahead... you can do
> it...

She did go here but not for nursing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 12:11:09 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 01:09:53 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 12:30:26 PM UTC-10,
> wrote:
> >> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:45:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"

> >I would strongly recommend not getting an airfryer. Unless you're cooking
> >for one, the size of the cooking chamber greatly reduces its usefulness.
> >I don't cook a large quantity of food but the size of my air fryer is
> >frustratingly small. If, however, you like to fiddle and fuss with your
> >food and cooker and enjoy babysitting your food as it's cooking, I
> >suppose you might find the air fryer satisfying.

> We cook for 2 and the air fryer is big enough. Maybe in your country
> portions are different?

I suppose I'd be more motivated if I was afraid to death at the idea of
frying food in oil. As it goes, I don't need the fussiness and aggravation.
Frying food in oil is messy and scary but the results are unbeatable.

===

I have basket airfryers but then I got an airfryer oven and the others
hardly get a look in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 8:32:56 AM UTC-10,

> well I have a power air fryer oven, I can cook enough food for several
> days or for several people
>
> --
>
> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

You mean one of these? That looks like it might be a satisfactory solution
to the small capacity units. It might be able to replace a toaster oven -
that's a good thing.

https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Power-...FO-B/308668525

==

Yes, mine is like that! It's really good! Oh and I toast my cheese
sandwiches in it. Perfect)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 8:32:56 AM UTC-10,
>>
>> well I have a power air fryer oven, I can cook enough food for several
>> days or for several people
>>
>> --
>>
>> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

> You mean one of these? That looks like it might be a satisfactory solution
> to the small capacity units. It might be able to replace a toaster oven -
> that's a good thing.
>
> https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Power-...FO-B/308668525

---
It holds 6 quarts of oil?

My friend (the one who had the oven door shatter) just got an air fryer. She
posted a pic of their dinner. Zucchini and chicken. Both looked the same.
Brown. Not very appetizing.

===

As with all cooking. It depends how you prepare and cook them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 5:22:26 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 12:52:08 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> >"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> >> On 11/18/2019 10:21 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> snip
> >
> >Of course I can find an appliance repair person but I bought the cheapest
> >stove possible. Probably not worth it to repair.
> >

> I always thought that if the price of a repair was less than the price
> of new, it was an indulgence to buy new when money is tight.
> Janet US

It depends. If the item in question is nearing the end of its life
and you can expect a series of repairs (and the inconvenience of having
the thing unavailable while it is being repaired), it's better in the
long run to buy new.

Of course, if you can buy a used one that is not as old or was built
to be more reliable, that might be better than new.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 6:14:38 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-11-18 2:03 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > "U.S
> >> can't you just contact an appliance repair man and get a new oven
> >> door?
> >> Janet US

> > I could I don't think it warrants the cost. I already replaced one
> > burner due to rust. That burner is the one I use the most and it looks
> > like it might need to be replaced again. The handyman who was out, said
> > he might be able to do it. I'll ask my old handyman who will be here
> > soon. But it looks like the part is around $70 plus shipping. Then there
> > is the installation fee. I had an appliance repair guy here once. $250.
> > That's half the price of a new stove. A used one is less than that. With
> > just me here now, I won't be doing much cooking.

> An installation fee for an oven door?They slip into place easily. If is
> is not a self cleaning oven you usually need to take the door off to
> clean in. There are two little lock clips that you flip up and then you
> lift it up and out. Any fool can to it.... almost any fool.

She can't change a damned light bulb. I'm sure she's incapable of
replacing an oven door.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-19 5:59 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> An installation fee for an oven door?They slip into place easily. If is
>> is not a self cleaning oven you usually need to take the door off to
>> clean in. There are two little lock clips that you flip up and then you
>> lift it up and out. Any fool can to it.... almost any fool.

> She can't change a damned light bulb. I'm sure she's incapable of
> replacing an oven door.

They are about equal in technical complexity, but I see what you mean.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 10:25:34 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-11-19 5:59 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> >> An installation fee for an oven door?They slip into place easily. If is
> >> is not a self cleaning oven you usually need to take the door off to
> >> clean in. There are two little lock clips that you flip up and then you
> >> lift it up and out. Any fool can to it.... almost any fool.

> > She can't change a damned light bulb. I'm sure she's incapable of
> > replacing an oven door.

> They are about equal in technical complexity, but I see what you mean.

To be fair, the light bulb was in a ceiling fixture and she could not
climb a ladder to reach it. I figured if she couldn't do that, she
couldn't horse an oven door into place.

Cindy Hamilton