Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default ?Sea salt

I've just come across a series of recipes that include Himalayan sea salt.
Has global warming caused the sea-level to reach that far?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham presented the following explanation :
> I've just come across a series of recipes that include Himalayan sea salt.
> Has global warming caused the sea-level to reach that far?

Doh!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 16:25:41 -0700, graham > wrote:

>I've just come across a series of recipes that include Himalayan sea salt.
>Has global warming caused the sea-level to reach that far?

Our neighbors made a trip to Iceland this summer and they brought back
a bag of black salt for us. Very tasty.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 1:25:44 PM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> I've just come across a series of recipes that include Himalayan sea salt..
> Has global warming caused the sea-level to reach that far?

Well that's just plain silly. Due to the movement of earth's crust, places on earth are getting higher. There used to be a sea in the region but now it's a mountain. Those people 20 years ago were right about the sea levels rising but thanks to global expansion, it's not noticeable. Indeed, God is great.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have several pink salts. It is just cool to look at. They are all salty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/16/2019 6:25 PM, graham wrote:
> I've just come across a series of recipes that include Himalayan sea salt.
> Has global warming caused the sea-level to reach that far?

Seems to me Himalayan sea salt has been around for quite some time.
People were talking about it at least 20 years ago here, perhaps longer.
I wouldn't mistake global warming for trends or popularity.

I've seen it at my local grocery store when I look for salt. Never saw
any reason to buy it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/16/2019 6:25 PM, graham wrote:
>> I've just come across a series of recipes that include Himalayan
>> sea salt.
>> Has global warming caused the sea-level to reach that far?

> Seems to me Himalayan sea salt has been around for quite some time.
> People were talking about it at least 20 years ago here, perhaps
> longer. *I wouldn't mistake global warming for trends or popularity.
>
> I've seen it at my local grocery store when I look for salt.* Never
> saw any reason to buy it.
>
> Jill

Is this the same crap julie talked about a while back?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/16/2019 6:46 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 16:25:41 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
>> I've just come across a series of recipes that include Himalayan sea salt.
>> Has global warming caused the sea-level to reach that far?

> Our neighbors made a trip to Iceland this summer and they brought back
> a bag of black salt for us. Very tasty.
> Janet US

What do you do with these different types of salt?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 16:25:41 -0700, graham > wrote:

>I've just come across a series of recipes that include Himalayan sea salt.
>Has global warming caused the sea-level to reach that far?

Again with your fixation on Himalayan salt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-16 11:48 p.m., Je�us wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 16:25:41 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
>> I've just come across a series of recipes that include Himalayan sea salt.
>> Has global warming caused the sea-level to reach that far?

> Again with your fixation on Himalayan salt.

You just don't get the point, do you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 8:36:49 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:
> On 2019-11-16 11:48 p.m., Je�us wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 16:25:41 -0700, graham > wrote:
> >
> >> I've just come across a series of recipes that include Himalayan sea salt.
> >> Has global warming caused the sea-level to reach that far?

> > Again with your fixation on Himalayan salt.
> >

> You just don't get the point, do you.

My last purchase of salt was Himalayan salt. It is slightly reddish/pinkish.
The following article states that basically it's not much more healthy than regular salt. And mine is not coarse, it's pretty fine.

https://www.insider.com/is-pink-hima...or-you-2017-12
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/16/19 4:25 PM, graham wrote:
> I've just come across a series of recipes that include Himalayan sea salt.
> Has global warming caused the sea-level to reach that far?

HUH.. is this you BRUCE?

Should be called Pakistani salt.. but that wouldn't have the same appeal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 3:36:21 PM UTC-10, Thomas wrote:
> I have several pink salts. It is just cool to look at. They are all salty.

My pink fossil salt had way too much insoluble particles. You can find out if your salt has this problem by dissolving some in water. The salt I had was fracturing my tooth enamel.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 3:36:21 PM UTC-10, Thomas wrote:
> I have several pink salts. It is just cool to look at. They are all salty.

My pink fossil salt had way too much insoluble particles. You can find out
if your salt has this problem by dissolving some in water. The salt I had
was fracturing my tooth enamel.

==

Ouch!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 22:14:00 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/16/2019 6:46 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 16:25:41 -0700, graham > wrote:
>>
>>> I've just come across a series of recipes that include Himalayan sea salt.
>>> Has global warming caused the sea-level to reach that far?

>> Our neighbors made a trip to Iceland this summer and they brought back
>> a bag of black salt for us. Very tasty.
>> Janet US
>>

>What do you do with these different types of salt?
>
>Jill

a finishing salt. For you, on your plate or serving, not a cooking
salt. Different salts are nothing that I seek out but an interesting
gift is nice. The black salt is very fine and has a
different/additional note to it.
We watch the neighbor's house when they are gone and they always bring
back a foodie item. Mexican vanilla, peppers, seasonings, Hungarian
paprika, stuff from South America and Japan, Spain etc. I don't
remember everything. My daughter does the same. This last time she
stopped at different stalls and stores in China (Hong Kong) and
brought back a bag full of what the Chinese would select for snack
items. The one we didn't try was duck feet
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 13:25:56 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 22:14:00 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:

>>> Our neighbors made a trip to Iceland this summer and they brought back
>>> a bag of black salt for us. Very tasty.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>>What do you do with these different types of salt?
>>
>>Jill

>a finishing salt. For you, on your plate or serving, not a cooking
>salt. Different salts are nothing that I seek out but an interesting
>gift is nice. The black salt is very fine and has a
>different/additional note to it.
>We watch the neighbor's house when they are gone and they always bring
>back a foodie item. Mexican vanilla, peppers, seasonings, Hungarian
>paprika, stuff from South America and Japan, Spain etc. I don't
>remember everything. My daughter does the same. This last time she
>stopped at different stalls and stores in China (Hong Kong) and
>brought back a bag full of what the Chinese would select for snack
>items. The one we didn't try was duck feet
>Janet US

They're tasty - loved them when I was kid, haven't had them recently.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 11/16/2019 6:25 PM, graham wrote:
> > I've just come across a series of recipes that include Himalayan
> > sea salt. Has global warming caused the sea-level to reach that
> > far?

> Seems to me Himalayan sea salt has been around for quite some time.
> People were talking about it at least 20 years ago here, perhaps
> longer. I wouldn't mistake global warming for trends or popularity.
>
> I've seen it at my local grocery store when I look for salt. Never
> saw any reason to buy it.
>
> Jill

I do use sea salts, but much like Kosher flaked, it is a finishing
salt. You can tell a recipe is bogus if they add it to liquid bases and
soups. Thats just pretencious (sp?)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 11/16/2019 6:46 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 16:25:41 -0700, graham > wrote:
> >
> > > I've just come across a series of recipes that include Himalayan
> > > sea salt. Has global warming caused the sea-level to reach that
> > > far?

> > Our neighbors made a trip to Iceland this summer and they brought
> > back a bag of black salt for us. Very tasty.
> > Janet US
> >

> What do you do with these different types of salt?
>
> Jill

I like the kosher flaked for texture on home made pretzels. I also
like Maldon Sea salt for general topping of a finished dish. The size
of the grains is bigger and somehow, we use less but feel more 'salt
flavor' with it. I haven't tried any of the colorful ones yet but I
suspect they just look pretty and no other significant difference.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 16:25:41 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
> > I've just come across a series of recipes that include Himalayan
> > sea salt. Has global warming caused the sea-level to reach that
> > far?

> Again with your fixation on Himalayan salt.

She's just asking general questions having not really figured it out.
Harmless so why the snipe?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 12:19:07 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > On 11/16/2019 6:25 PM, graham wrote:
> > > I've just come across a series of recipes that include Himalayan
> > > sea salt. Has global warming caused the sea-level to reach that
> > > far?

> > Seems to me Himalayan sea salt has been around for quite some time.
> > People were talking about it at least 20 years ago here, perhaps
> > longer. I wouldn't mistake global warming for trends or popularity.
> >
> > I've seen it at my local grocery store when I look for salt. Never
> > saw any reason to buy it.
> >
> > Jill

> I do use sea salts, but much like Kosher flaked, it is a finishing
> salt. You can tell a recipe is bogus if they add it to liquid bases and
> soups. Thats just pretencious (sp?)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 06:36:44 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-11-16 11:48 p.m., Je?us wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 16:25:41 -0700, graham > wrote:
>>
>>> I've just come across a series of recipes that include Himalayan sea salt.
>>> Has global warming caused the sea-level to reach that far?

>> Again with your fixation on Himalayan salt.
>>

>You just don't get the point, do you.

According to you, apparently not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 06:04:17 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 8:36:49 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:

>> > Again with your fixation on Himalayan salt.
>> >

>> You just don't get the point, do you.

>My last purchase of salt was Himalayan salt. It is slightly reddish/pinkish.
>The following article states that basically it's not much more healthy than regular salt. And mine is not coarse, it's pretty fine.
>
>https://www.insider.com/is-pink-hima...or-you-2017-12

But it does have a nice but subtle flavour. For example, a pinch on
top of some poached eggs is better than normal salt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 17:04:46 -0400, wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 13:25:56 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 22:14:00 -0500, jmcquown >
>>wrote:

>>>What do you do with these different types of salt?
>>>
>>>Jill

>>a finishing salt. For you, on your plate or serving, not a cooking
>>salt. Different salts are nothing that I seek out but an interesting
>>gift is nice. The black salt is very fine and has a
>>different/additional note to it.
>>We watch the neighbor's house when they are gone and they always bring
>>back a foodie item. Mexican vanilla, peppers, seasonings, Hungarian
>>paprika, stuff from South America and Japan, Spain etc. I don't
>>remember everything. My daughter does the same. This last time she
>>stopped at different stalls and stores in China (Hong Kong) and
>>brought back a bag full of what the Chinese would select for snack
>>items. The one we didn't try was duck feet
>>Janet US

>They're tasty - loved them when I was kid, haven't had them recently.

I guess we should have tried them. Describe what you liked about them
please
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 14:28:19 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 12:19:07 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>> > Seems to me Himalayan sea salt has been around for quite some time.
>> > People were talking about it at least 20 years ago here, perhaps
>> > longer. I wouldn't mistake global warming for trends or popularity.
>> >
>> > I've seen it at my local grocery store when I look for salt. Never
>> > saw any reason to buy it.
>> >
>> > Jill

>> I do use sea salts, but much like Kosher flaked, it is a finishing
>> salt. You can tell a recipe is bogus if they add it to liquid bases and
>> soups. Thats just pretencious (sp?)

Kosher flaked salt is a cooking salt. That is why if you are
substituting regular table salt for kosher salt by volume you must use
less table salt than kosher salt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 16:25:32 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Jeßus wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 16:25:41 -0700, graham > wrote:
>>
>> > I've just come across a series of recipes that include Himalayan
>> > sea salt. Has global warming caused the sea-level to reach that
>> > far?

>> Again with your fixation on Himalayan salt.

>She's just asking general questions having not really figured it out.
>Harmless so why the snipe?

1: she's a 'he'.
2: he's had a problem with Himalyan salt, one way or the other, for
years now on this group.
3: It's none of your business anyway, so sod off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 12:28:13 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 14:28:19 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:

> >> I do use sea salts, but much like Kosher flaked, it is a finishing
> >> salt. You can tell a recipe is bogus if they add it to liquid bases and
> >> soups. Thats just pretencious (sp?)

> Kosher flaked salt is a cooking salt. That is why if you are
> substituting regular table salt for kosher salt by volume you must use
> less table salt than kosher salt

You can use kosher flaked salt for table use. The reason you have to
adjust the volumetric measurement is because the flakes do not pack as
tightly in the spoon as the more cubic crystals of table salt, leaving
more air between the crystals and resulting in less salt.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 22:24:01 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 17:04:46 -0400, wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 13:25:56 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>>wrote:

>>>a finishing salt. For you, on your plate or serving, not a cooking
>>>salt. Different salts are nothing that I seek out but an interesting
>>>gift is nice. The black salt is very fine and has a
>>>different/additional note to it.
>>>We watch the neighbor's house when they are gone and they always bring
>>>back a foodie item. Mexican vanilla, peppers, seasonings, Hungarian
>>>paprika, stuff from South America and Japan, Spain etc. I don't
>>>remember everything. My daughter does the same. This last time she
>>>stopped at different stalls and stores in China (Hong Kong) and
>>>brought back a bag full of what the Chinese would select for snack
>>>items. The one we didn't try was duck feet
>>>Janet US

>>They're tasty - loved them when I was kid, haven't had them recently.

>I guess we should have tried them. Describe what you liked about them
>please
>Janet US

They were just like crisps in a way, we ate the whole thing as the
cooking rendered the bones cruchy but edible. Chicken feet were also
offered, same style.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2019 5:22 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Our neighbors made a trip to Iceland this summer and they brought
>>> back a bag of black salt for us. Very tasty.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> What do you do with these different types of salt?
>>
>> Jill

> I like the kosher flaked for texture on home made pretzels. I also
> like Maldon Sea salt for general topping of a finished dish. The size
> of the grains is bigger and somehow, we use less but feel more 'salt
> flavor' with it. I haven't tried any of the colorful ones yet but I
> suspect they just look pretty and no other significant difference.

When I was at Publix Supermarket a couple of weeks ago I looked for
Maldon (finishing) salt. I was mildly surprised they didn't have any
yet they had Himalayan salt. Go figure.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>They're tasty - loved them when I was kid, haven't had them recently.

>>I guess we should have tried them. Describe what you liked about them
>>please
>>Janet US

>They were just like crisps in a way, we ate the whole thing as the
>cooking rendered the bones cruchy but edible. Chicken feet were also
>offered, same style.

That doesn't seem to appeal, but then I grew up eating pickled pigs
feet because my mother liked them.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-18 1:58 a.m., Je�us wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 16:25:32 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> Jeßus wrote:

>>> Again with your fixation on Himalayan salt.

>> She's just asking general questions having not really figured it out.
>> Harmless so why the snipe?

> 1: she's a 'he'.
> 2: he's had a problem with Himalyan salt, one way or the other, for
> years now on this group.

Problem? Years?
You have a vivid imagination!
You obviously didn't grasp the very obvious point that I was making.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>I guess we should have tried them. Describe what you liked about them
>>>please
>>>Janet US

>>They were just like crisps in a way, we ate the whole thing as the
>>cooking rendered the bones cruchy but edible. Chicken feet were also
>>offered, same style.

>That doesn't seem to appeal, but then I grew up eating pickled pigs
>feet because my mother liked them.
>Janet US

Yes, I also got to like them living in Switzerland
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 12:28:13 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B.
> wrote:
> > On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 14:28:19 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > > wrote:

> > Himalayan >> > > sea salt. Has global warming caused the sea-level
> > to reach that >> > > far?

> > time. >> > People were talking about it at least 20 years ago
> > here, perhaps >> > longer. I wouldn't mistake global warming for
> > trends or popularity. >> >

> > Never >> > saw any reason to buy it.

> > finishing >> salt. You can tell a recipe is bogus if they add it to
> > liquid bases and >> soups. Thats just pretencious (sp?)
> >
> > Kosher flaked salt is a cooking salt. That is why if you are
> > substituting regular table salt for kosher salt by volume you must
> > use less table salt than kosher salt

> You can use kosher flaked salt for table use. The reason you have to
> adjust the volumetric measurement is because the flakes do not pack as
> tightly in the spoon as the more cubic crystals of table salt, leaving
> more air between the crystals and resulting in less salt.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Yup. Using Sea salt in a cooking liquid is silly though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 19:09:05 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 12:28:13 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B.
>> wrote:
>> > On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 14:28:19 -0800 (PST), dsi1

>> > Himalayan >> > > sea salt. Has global warming caused the sea-level
>> > to reach that >> > > far?

>> > time. >> > People were talking about it at least 20 years ago
>> > here, perhaps >> > longer. I wouldn't mistake global warming for
>> > trends or popularity. >> >
>> > Never >> > saw any reason to buy it.

>> > finishing >> salt. You can tell a recipe is bogus if they add it to
>> > liquid bases and >> soups. Thats just pretencious (sp?)
>> >
>> > Kosher flaked salt is a cooking salt. That is why if you are
>> > substituting regular table salt for kosher salt by volume you must
>> > use less table salt than kosher salt

>> You can use kosher flaked salt for table use. The reason you have to
>> adjust the volumetric measurement is because the flakes do not pack as
>> tightly in the spoon as the more cubic crystals of table salt, leaving
>> more air between the crystals and resulting in less salt.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>Yup. Using Sea salt in a cooking liquid is silly though.

Silly and unhealthful. Sea salt is not purified NACL, sea salt
contains whatever pollutants happen to be in that particular sea
water, some of which interact with one's Rx drugs, including the
contents of used condoms, and whatever **** and shit (literally) is
contained in that sea water. Anyone contemplating ingesting sea salt
needs to have a discussion with their doctor. Using sea salt is
really no different from sharing hypodermic needles.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 19:09:05 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> You can use kosher flaked salt for table use. The reason you have to
>>> adjust the volumetric measurement is because the flakes do not pack as
>>> tightly in the spoon as the more cubic crystals of table salt, leaving
>>> more air between the crystals and resulting in less salt.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> Yup. Using Sea salt in a cooking liquid is silly though.

> Silly and unhealthful. Sea salt is not purified NACL, sea salt
> contains whatever pollutants happen to be in that particular sea
> water, some of which interact with one's Rx drugs, including the
> contents of used condoms, and whatever **** and shit (literally) is
> contained in that sea water. Anyone contemplating ingesting sea salt
> needs to have a discussion with their doctor. Using sea salt is
> really no different from sharing hypodermic needles.

Popeye, Yoose a LIAR and a FAGGOT.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 1:49:40 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 19:09:05 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> You can use kosher flaked salt for table use. The reason you have to
> >> adjust the volumetric measurement is because the flakes do not pack as
> >> tightly in the spoon as the more cubic crystals of table salt, leaving
> >> more air between the crystals and resulting in less salt.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton

> >Yup. Using Sea salt in a cooking liquid is silly though.

> Silly and unhealthful. Sea salt is not purified NACL, sea salt
> contains whatever pollutants happen to be in that particular sea
> water, some of which interact with one's Rx drugs, including the
> contents of used condoms, and whatever **** and shit (literally) is
> contained in that sea water. Anyone contemplating ingesting sea salt
> needs to have a discussion with their doctor. Using sea salt is
> really no different from sharing hypodermic needles.

So Sheldon, do you think that Himalayan salt is better?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 1:49:40 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

>>> Yup. Using Sea salt in a cooking liquid is silly though.

>> Silly and unhealthful. Sea salt is not purified NACL, sea salt
>> contains whatever pollutants happen to be in that particular sea
>> water, some of which interact with one's Rx drugs, including the
>> contents of used condoms, and whatever **** and shit (literally) is
>> contained in that sea water. Anyone contemplating ingesting sea salt
>> needs to have a discussion with their doctor. Using sea salt is
>> really no different from sharing hypodermic needles.

> So Sheldon, do you think that Himalayan salt is better?

Nope, Popeye only approves Purified navy salt, or 100% Mayan salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2019 4:50 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 1:49:40 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

>>> Yup. Using Sea salt in a cooking liquid is silly though.

>> Silly and unhealthful. Sea salt is not purified NACL, sea salt
>> contains whatever pollutants happen to be in that particular sea
>> water, some of which interact with one's Rx drugs, including the
>> contents of used condoms, and whatever **** and shit (literally) is
>> contained in that sea water. Anyone contemplating ingesting sea salt
>> needs to have a discussion with their doctor. Using sea salt is
>> really no different from sharing hypodermic needles.

> So Sheldon, do you think that Himalayan salt is better?

I winter I collect the road salt off the street. You get extra minerals
that way.