Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Am I the only one who doesn't like Spaghetti Squash?

For me, it's a texture thing. The taste is very mild but even well
cooked it's crunchy. I don't like crunchy squash. Some people use it
in place of pasta. A veggie alternative. I don't want crunchy pasta,
either. So, not a fan of spaghetti squash.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 10:42:22 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> For me, it's a texture thing. The taste is very mild but even well
> cooked it's crunchy. I don't like crunchy squash. Some people use it
> in place of pasta. A veggie alternative. I don't want crunchy pasta,
> either. So, not a fan of spaghetti squash.
>
> Jill

I confess it's been so long since I tried it that I can't remember what
it's like. Obviously, I was not that impressed with it or I would have
eaten it a second time.

Crunchy is not a problem for me. Maybe I'll try it again; my tastes
have changed somewhat in the last 40 years.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/16/2019 9:42 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> For me, it's a texture thing.* The taste is very mild but even well
> cooked it's crunchy.* I don't like crunchy squash.* Some people use it
> in place of pasta.* A veggie alternative.* I don't want crunchy pasta,
> either.* So, not a fan of spaghetti squash.
>
> Jill

No. Texture thing for me as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> For me, it's a texture thing. The taste is very mild but even well
> cooked it's crunchy. I don't like crunchy squash. Some people use it
> in place of pasta. A veggie alternative. I don't want crunchy pasta,
> either. So, not a fan of spaghetti squash.

I've had it once, way back when I was married.
We substituted it for the pasta in a spaghetti dish.
It wasn't very good that way.

Might be good in a stir-fry though. Don't know.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 9:42:22 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
> For me, it's a texture thing. The taste is very mild but even well
> cooked it's crunchy. I don't like crunchy squash. Some people use it
> in place of pasta. A veggie alternative. I don't want crunchy pasta,
> either. So, not a fan of spaghetti squash.
>
> Jill

Another word for not crunchy at all is el dente. I've sliced bell peppers very thinly and sauteed them in EVOO and spices and YUM!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 07:44:38 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 10:42:22 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>> For me, it's a texture thing. The taste is very mild but even well
>> cooked it's crunchy. I don't like crunchy squash. Some people use it
>> in place of pasta. A veggie alternative. I don't want crunchy pasta,
>> either. So, not a fan of spaghetti squash.
>>
>> Jill

>I confess it's been so long since I tried it that I can't remember what
>it's like. Obviously, I was not that impressed with it or I would have
>eaten it a second time.
>
>Crunchy is not a problem for me. Maybe I'll try it again; my tastes
>have changed somewhat in the last 40 years.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

did you know that it can be made to be just like pasta, not crunchy at
all

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 09:22:12 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 9:42:22 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
>> For me, it's a texture thing. The taste is very mild but even well
>> cooked it's crunchy. I don't like crunchy squash. Some people use it
>> in place of pasta. A veggie alternative. I don't want crunchy pasta,
>> either. So, not a fan of spaghetti squash.
>>
>> Jill

>Another word for not crunchy at all is el dente. I've sliced bell peppers very thinly and sauteed them in EVOO and spices and YUM!
>
>John Kuthe...

"AL" dente

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 10:42:16 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>For me, it's a texture thing. The taste is very mild but even well
>cooked it's crunchy. I don't like crunchy squash. Some people use it
>in place of pasta. A veggie alternative. I don't want crunchy pasta,
>either. So, not a fan of spaghetti squash.
>
>Jill

The one time we tried it it was was a fail, the texture is disgusting,
it ended up in the composter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-16 10:42 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> For me, it's a texture thing.* The taste is very mild but even well
> cooked it's crunchy.* I don't like crunchy squash.* Some people use it
> in place of pasta.* A veggie alternative.* I don't want crunchy pasta,
> either.* So, not a fan of spaghetti squash.

I tried it once. It was edible, but not good enough to bother doing it
again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote :
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> For me, it's a texture thing. The taste is very mild but even well
>> cooked it's crunchy. I don't like crunchy squash. Some people use it
>> in place of pasta. A veggie alternative. I don't want crunchy pasta,
>> either. So, not a fan of spaghetti squash.

> I've had it once, way back when I was married.
> We substituted it for the pasta in a spaghetti dish.
> It wasn't very good that way.
>
> Might be good in a stir-fry though. Don't know.

I like it baked with some butter and salt, while
it's still soft and you can flake it into what
looks like angel hair pasta.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

on 11/16/2019, Gregory Morrow supposed :
> Steve Wertz did *NOT* write:
>
>> Hank Rogers presented the following explanation :

>>> Popeye probably put lipstick and a wig on those pork butts and had his way
>>> with them.
>>>
>>> Talk about ripping!
>>>

>> Smells like bacon in here.

> It's foul - smelling like *you*, Steve (aka "Pig Pork")...

Hey Gaygory, I'm not Steve Wertz, and you
posting these lame accusations over and
over again isn't gonna make anyone with
half a brain think it's true.

It's ironic that you call me pig pork when
in reality you're known as the pig boy in
this froup.

It's also ironic that you blame me for socking
up, after you've been caught so many times
forging and frogging some of the regular posters
in here.

Now get off my leg, chubby.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Steve Wertz wrote:

> on 11/16/2019, Gregory Morrow supposed :
> > Steve Wertz did *NOT* write:
> >
> >> Hank Rogers presented the following explanation :

> >> Smells like bacon in here.

> > It's foul - smelling like *you*, Steve (aka "Pig Pork")...
> >

> Hey Gaygory, I'm not Steve Wertz, and you
> posting these lame accusations over and
> over again isn't gonna make anyone with
> half a brain think it's true.
>
> It's ironic that you call me pig pork when
> in reality you're known as the pig boy in
> this froup.
>
> It's also ironic that you blame me for socking
> up, after you've been caught so many times
> forging and frogging some of the regular posters
> in here.
>
> Now get off my leg, chubby.

Smarmy words will not "help" you, Steve...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote on 11/16/2019 :
> Steve Wertz did *not* write:
> Smarmy words will not "help" you, Steve...

Help?! There's obviously no hope
for you Chubby.

Do you remember Chubby from the Little
Rascals?

https://tinyurl.com/rofhvx4 Is that
your daddy?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hank Rogers submitted this idea :
> Casa de Masa wrote:
>> Smells like bacon in here.
>>

> Roll up the window man ... Yoose letting the stank out!

We know how much Popeye loves his bacon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/16/2019 10:44 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 10:42:22 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>> For me, it's a texture thing. The taste is very mild but even well
>> cooked it's crunchy. I don't like crunchy squash. Some people use it
>> in place of pasta. A veggie alternative. I don't want crunchy pasta,
>> either. So, not a fan of spaghetti squash.
>>
>> Jill

> I confess it's been so long since I tried it that I can't remember what
> it's like. Obviously, I was not that impressed with it or I would have
> eaten it a second time.
>
> Crunchy is not a problem for me. Maybe I'll try it again; my tastes
> have changed somewhat in the last 40 years.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Maybe crunchy isn't the right word for it. I don't want my vegetables
cooked to mush but IMHO Spaghetti Squash never even gets *close* to
tender. It's also very bland.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 09:22:12 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>>>Another word for not crunchy at all is el dente. I've sliced bell peppers very thinly and sauteed them in EVOO and spices and YUM!
>>>
>>>John Kuthe...

>>"AL" dente

>Yes, El Dente is a Mexican drug boss.

Well it is either that or it is a common phrase heard in a auto body
shop in Mexico...
"excuse me but can you repair my "el dente"

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 11/16/2019 10:44 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 10:42:22 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> > > For me, it's a texture thing. The taste is very mild but even
> > > well cooked it's crunchy. I don't like crunchy squash. Some
> > > people use it in place of pasta. A veggie alternative. I don't
> > > want crunchy pasta, either. So, not a fan of spaghetti squash.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > I confess it's been so long since I tried it that I can't remember
> > what it's like. Obviously, I was not that impressed with it or I
> > would have eaten it a second time.
> >
> > Crunchy is not a problem for me. Maybe I'll try it again; my tastes
> > have changed somewhat in the last 40 years.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Maybe crunchy isn't the right word for it. I don't want my
> vegetables cooked to mush but IMHO Spaghetti Squash never even gets
> close to tender. It's also very bland.
>
> Jill

That matched our feelings. Just not the veggie for us.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019 Nov 16, , Cindy Hamilton wrote
(in >):

> I confess it's been so long since I tried it that I can't remember what
> it's like. Obviously, I was not that impressed with it or I would have
> eaten it a second time.
>
> Crunchy is not a problem for me. Maybe I'll try it again; my tastes
> have changed somewhat in the last 40 years.

I like spaghetti squash served as spaghetti. My wife doesnt. We
dont eat it,
and Ive never seen it served in the restaurants that I occasionally
infest.

[ObFood] Ham shank n pintos with sliced/cooked carrots, served with corn
bread.
Its a one of a kind thing that nobody has ever done before.

leo

Spaghetti Squash Cheri[_3_] Diabetic 16 25-09-2010 10:21 AM
Spaghetti Squash Z GIRL General Cooking 26 12-10-2009 04:50 PM
Spaghetti Squash Emily[_2_] Diabetic 15 05-08-2007 03:59 AM
Spaghetti squash The Bubbo General Cooking 13 21-03-2006 06:07 AM