Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fruitcake season

It's been a pretty busy week here but I had a lazy day here. I went out
to get the ingredients for light fruitcake. I picked up the glazed
green and red cherries and pineapple, golden raisins and prunes at Bulk
Barn. I lucked out. They were on sale this week and I happened to be
there for seniors discount day. I went to another store for three pounds
of butter and found that on sale. I also picked up eggs and sour cream.

I have to purge my freezer before I make the cakes because I will need
to store them for at least a month while they age. The next miserable
day will be fruitcake baking day. Disparage fruit cake all you want, but
I love it and I have some friends and family who look forward to being
gifted with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 17:06:28 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>It's been a pretty busy week here but I had a lazy day here. I went out
>to get the ingredients for light fruitcake. I picked up the glazed
>green and red cherries and pineapple, golden raisins and prunes at Bulk
>Barn. I lucked out. They were on sale this week and I happened to be
>there for seniors discount day. I went to another store for three pounds
>of butter and found that on sale. I also picked up eggs and sour cream.
>
>I have to purge my freezer before I make the cakes because I will need
>to store them for at least a month while they age. The next miserable
>day will be fruitcake baking day. Disparage fruit cake all you want, but
>I love it and I have some friends and family who look forward to being
>gifted with it.

I made 2 fruitcakes last year. For the first time ever, because I
always thought it was a fuddy-duddy Anglo thing. That may be, but they
came out quite nice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 12:05:15 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> It's been a pretty busy week here but I had a lazy day here. I went out
> to get the ingredients for light fruitcake. I picked up the glazed
> green and red cherries and pineapple, golden raisins and prunes at Bulk
> Barn. I lucked out. They were on sale this week and I happened to be
> there for seniors discount day. I went to another store for three pounds
> of butter and found that on sale. I also picked up eggs and sour cream.
>
> I have to purge my freezer before I make the cakes because I will need
> to store them for at least a month while they age. The next miserable
> day will be fruitcake baking day. Disparage fruit cake all you want, but
> I love it and I have some friends and family who look forward to being
> gifted with it.

I have not heard of storing fruitcake in a freezer. We used to just stash it some place. It seems to keep just fine in tropical temperatures.

I used to make fruitcake with my mom during the holidays but haven't made it for quite a while. Evidently, my mom used to pass it out during Christmas.. Evidently, it was appreciated. My auntie makes fruitcake using my mom's recipe and passes them out. Hopefully, I'll get one this year. I would appreciate it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 4:14:47 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 17:06:28 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >It's been a pretty busy week here but I had a lazy day here. I went out
> >to get the ingredients for light fruitcake. I picked up the glazed
> >green and red cherries and pineapple, golden raisins and prunes at Bulk
> >Barn. I lucked out. They were on sale this week and I happened to be
> >there for seniors discount day. I went to another store for three pounds
> >of butter and found that on sale. I also picked up eggs and sour cream.

Dang, you did good sniffing out the sale items!

> >I have to purge my freezer before I make the cakes because I will need
> >to store them for at least a month while they age. The next miserable
> >day will be fruitcake baking day. Disparage fruit cake all you want, but
> >I love it and I have some friends and family who look forward to being
> >gifted with it.

I really like the light fruitcakes.

> I made 2 fruitcakes last year. For the first time ever, because I
> always thought it was a fuddy-duddy Anglo thing. That may be, but they
> came out quite nice.

Fruitcake cookies are very good, too. Whatever recipe you use, just use a
scoop to portion out the batter and bake. I do find a sheet of parchment
paper between each layer of baked cookies aids in getting them out of the
container they are stored in.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> It's been a pretty busy week here but I had a lazy day here. I went out
> to get the ingredients for light fruitcake. I picked up the glazed
> green and red cherries and pineapple, golden raisins and prunes at Bulk
> Barn. I lucked out. They were on sale this week and I happened to be
> there for seniors discount day. I went to another store for three pounds
> of butter and found that on sale. I also picked up eggs and sour cream.
>
> I have to purge my freezer before I make the cakes because I will need
> to store them for at least a month while they age. The next miserable
> day will be fruitcake baking day. Disparage fruit cake all you want, but
> I love it and I have some friends and family who look forward to being
> gifted with it.

i'm always a fan, but go light on portions.
i even like the mass produced ones that people
complain about and use as door stops.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 16:43:11 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 4:14:47 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 17:06:28 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >It's been a pretty busy week here but I had a lazy day here. I went out
>> >to get the ingredients for light fruitcake. I picked up the glazed
>> >green and red cherries and pineapple, golden raisins and prunes at Bulk
>> >Barn. I lucked out. They were on sale this week and I happened to be
>> >there for seniors discount day. I went to another store for three pounds
>> >of butter and found that on sale. I also picked up eggs and sour cream.
>> >

>Dang, you did good sniffing out the sale items!
>> >
>> >I have to purge my freezer before I make the cakes because I will need
>> >to store them for at least a month while they age. The next miserable
>> >day will be fruitcake baking day. Disparage fruit cake all you want, but
>> >I love it and I have some friends and family who look forward to being
>> >gifted with it.

>I really like the light fruitcakes.
>>
>> I made 2 fruitcakes last year. For the first time ever, because I
>> always thought it was a fuddy-duddy Anglo thing. That may be, but they
>> came out quite nice.
>>

>Fruitcake cookies are very good, too. Whatever recipe you use, just use a
>scoop to portion out the batter and bake. I do find a sheet of parchment
>paper between each layer of baked cookies aids in getting them out of the
>container they are stored in.

That sounds good too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 7:46:37 PM UTC-6, songbird wrote:

> i'm always a fan, but go light on portions.
> i even like the mass produced ones that people
> complain about and use as door stops.
>

> songbird

Those Claxton and College Street Bakery log fruitcakes have never been a
disappointment to me. Very moist and very flavorful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

I have not heard of storing fruitcake in a freezer. We used to just stash it
some place. It seems to keep just fine in tropical temperatures.

I used to make fruitcake with my mom during the holidays but haven't made it
for quite a while. Evidently, my mom used to pass it out during Christmas.
Evidently, it was appreciated. My auntie makes fruitcake using my mom's
recipe and passes them out. Hopefully, I'll get one this year. I would
appreciate it.

----

I have never heard of aging a fruit cake in the freezer either. It has
always been tradition in my family. They were well wrapped and stored in a
cake tin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 17:06:28 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>It's been a pretty busy week here but I had a lazy day here. I went out
>to get the ingredients for light fruitcake. I picked up the glazed
>green and red cherries and pineapple, golden raisins and prunes at Bulk
>Barn. I lucked out. They were on sale this week and I happened to be
>there for seniors discount day. I went to another store for three pounds
>of butter and found that on sale. I also picked up eggs and sour cream.
>
>I have to purge my freezer before I make the cakes because I will need
>to store them for at least a month while they age. The next miserable
>day will be fruitcake baking day. Disparage fruit cake all you want, but
>I love it and I have some friends and family who look forward to being
>gifted with it.

I made 2 fruitcakes last year. For the first time ever, because I
always thought it was a fuddy-duddy Anglo thing. That may be, but they
came out quite nice.

====

Uhuh. Turning into a fuddy-duddy Anglo are you ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 08:49:21 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 17:06:28 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>It's been a pretty busy week here but I had a lazy day here. I went out
>>to get the ingredients for light fruitcake. I picked up the glazed
>>green and red cherries and pineapple, golden raisins and prunes at Bulk
>>Barn. I lucked out. They were on sale this week and I happened to be
>>there for seniors discount day. I went to another store for three pounds
>>of butter and found that on sale. I also picked up eggs and sour cream.
>>
>>I have to purge my freezer before I make the cakes because I will need
>>to store them for at least a month while they age. The next miserable
>>day will be fruitcake baking day. Disparage fruit cake all you want, but
>>I love it and I have some friends and family who look forward to being
>>gifted with it.

>I made 2 fruitcakes last year. For the first time ever, because I
>always thought it was a fuddy-duddy Anglo thing. That may be, but they
>came out quite nice.
>
>====
>
> Uhuh. Turning into a fuddy-duddy Anglo are you ...

lol, you got me there...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 08:49:21 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 17:06:28 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>It's been a pretty busy week here but I had a lazy day here. I went out
>>to get the ingredients for light fruitcake. I picked up the glazed
>>green and red cherries and pineapple, golden raisins and prunes at Bulk
>>Barn. I lucked out. They were on sale this week and I happened to be
>>there for seniors discount day. I went to another store for three pounds
>>of butter and found that on sale. I also picked up eggs and sour cream.
>>
>>I have to purge my freezer before I make the cakes because I will need
>>to store them for at least a month while they age. The next miserable
>>day will be fruitcake baking day. Disparage fruit cake all you want, but
>>I love it and I have some friends and family who look forward to being
>>gifted with it.

>I made 2 fruitcakes last year. For the first time ever, because I
>always thought it was a fuddy-duddy Anglo thing. That may be, but they
>came out quite nice.
>
>====
>
> Uhuh. Turning into a fuddy-duddy Anglo are you ...

lol, you got me there...

===

;p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 10:42:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 7:46:37 PM UTC-6, songbird wrote:
> >
> > i'm always a fan, but go light on portions.
> > i even like the mass produced ones that people
> > complain about and use as door stops.
> >

> > songbird
> >

> Those Claxton and College Street Bakery log fruitcakes have never been a
> disappointment to me. Very moist and very flavorful.

Much too sweet for me. When I make fruitcake I use dried fruit reconstituted
in a little hot booze.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> I have never heard of aging a fruit cake in the freezer either. It has
> always been tradition in my family. They were well wrapped and stored in a
> cake tin.

drenched once in a while with some good booze is how
i know to do it.

at least for some of them.

i drink so little these days i have nothing on hand.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I like Claxton fruit cake but it's more like candy than it is like cake.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:
> I have never heard of aging a fruit cake in the freezer either. It has
> always been tradition in my family. They were well wrapped and stored in
> cake tin.

drenched once in a while with some good booze is how
i know to do it.

Oh yes)) That is exactly the way to do it))))

at least for some of them.

i drink so little these days i have nothing on hand.

songbird

But, if you are going to make fruitcake, you need it on hand))

Those rellies have shown you the way))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> I have never heard of aging a fruit cake in the freezer either. It has
> always been tradition in my family. They were well wrapped and stored in a
> cake tin.

I just buy a small one each year. Found a good brand. Used to eat
it plain but last year I tried adding some alcohol. My favorite
soak-in was Apple Flavored Bourbon. Very nice and smooth. This
was Jim Beam brand and I still have some. I see now that Jack
Daniels also offers that. Must be popular now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:

> i'm always a fan, but go light on portions.
> i even like the mass produced ones that people
> complain about and use as door stops.

I've always liked them but like you say, just a tiny bit
for a later dessert.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 11:04:16 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> I have never heard of aging a fruit cake in the freezer either. It has
>> always been tradition in my family. They were well wrapped and stored in a
>> cake tin.

>I just buy a small one each year. Found a good brand.

You mean on special?

>Used to eat
>it plain but last year I tried adding some alcohol. My favorite
>soak-in was Apple Flavored Bourbon.

Notice how they put that. It probably never saw an apple.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 5:32:21 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 10:42:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> > Those Claxton and College Street Bakery log fruitcakes have never been a
> > disappointment to me. Very moist and very flavorful.

> Much too sweet for me. When I make fruitcake I use dried fruit reconstituted
> in a little hot booze.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

when I was actually making it as a cake I'd soak my fruits for a couple of
days in a bowl with Triple Sec. It was a bowl that I could easily turn it
over and leave it for at least 12 hours before turning again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 10:49:30 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>

> I have not heard of storing fruitcake in a freezer. We used to just stash it
> some place. It seems to keep just fine in tropical temperatures.
>
> I used to make fruitcake with my mom during the holidays but haven't made it
> for quite a while. Evidently, my mom used to pass it out during Christmas.
> Evidently, it was appreciated. My auntie makes fruitcake using my mom's
> recipe and passes them out. Hopefully, I'll get one this year. I would
> appreciate it.
>
> ----
>
> I have never heard of aging a fruit cake in the freezer either. It has
> always been tradition in my family. They were well wrapped and stored in a
> cake tin.

My mom would add some brandy after a couple of weeks. That would kill any nasty microorganisms. It was the only booze we had in the house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I like E&J vsop brandy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-14 8:41 p.m., graham wrote:

>> when I was actually making it as a cake I'd soak my fruits for a
>> couple of
>> days in a bowl with Triple Sec.Â* It was a bowl that I could easily
>> turn it
>> over and leave it for at least 12 hours before turning again.
>>

> I used to soak mine overnight in a mixture of sherry and brandy.
> During the cake maturing period, I used to inject brandy into the cake
> using a hypodermic. No freezing necessary.

What can I say? It is my mother's recipe. She made hers 5-6 weeks ahead
and kept them in the freezer. It worked for her and it works for me.
BTW, these are light fruitcakes, not dark.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 2:57:31 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> I like E&J vsop brandy.

What would be cool is to dump it dump a whole bunch of brandy on some cakes and bury them for a hundred years or longer. In the future, our descendants can dig it up and re gift it to people they don't especially care for.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 11:04:16 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Ophelia wrote:
> >>
> >> I have never heard of aging a fruit cake in the freezer either. It has
> >> always been tradition in my family. They were well wrapped and stored in a
> >> cake tin.

> >I just buy a small one each year. Found a good brand.

> You mean on special?
>
> >Used to eat
> >it plain but last year I tried adding some alcohol. My favorite
> >soak-in was Apple Flavored Bourbon.

> Notice how they put that. It probably never saw an apple.

Actually, they didn't label it like that. My description and
my mistake for making it seem like the name.

"Jim Beam Apple is a perfectly balanced combination of apple
liqueur and Jim Beam Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.
The result is a crisp, fresh burst of green apple with a
warm bourbon finish." 70 proof.

https://www.jimbeam.com/bourbons/jim-beam-apple

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 07:42:59 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:

>> >I just buy a small one each year. Found a good brand.

>> You mean on special?
>>
>> >Used to eat
>> >it plain but last year I tried adding some alcohol. My favorite
>> >soak-in was Apple Flavored Bourbon.

>> Notice how they put that. It probably never saw an apple.

>Actually, they didn't label it like that. My description and
>my mistake for making it seem like the name.
>
>"Jim Beam Apple is a perfectly balanced combination of apple
> liqueur and Jim Beam Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.
> The result is a crisp, fresh burst of green apple with a
> warm bourbon finish." 70 proof.
>
>https://www.jimbeam.com/bourbons/jim-beam-apple

Could still be that it never saw an apple. But my guess is that
there's apple in there, encouraged with some "natural flavouring".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 12:08:57 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 07:42:59 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> >"Jim Beam Apple is a perfectly balanced combination of apple
> > liqueur and Jim Beam Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.
> > The result is a crisp, fresh burst of green apple with a
> > warm bourbon finish." 70 proof.
> >
> >https://www.jimbeam.com/bourbons/jim-beam-apple

> Could still be that it never saw an apple. But my guess is that
> there's apple in there, encouraged with some "natural flavouring".

Jim Beam Apple is made by blending an apple liqueur with Jim Beam Bourbon.
As is clearly stated on the label, this is indeed an apple liqueur. It
is bottled at 35 percent ABV (70 proof), making it one of the stronger
apple liqueurs on the market.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 4:13:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 12:08:57 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 07:42:59 -0500, Gary > wrote:
> >
> > >"Jim Beam Apple is a perfectly balanced combination of apple
> > > liqueur and Jim Beam Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.
> > > The result is a crisp, fresh burst of green apple with a
> > > warm bourbon finish." 70 proof.
> > >
> > >https://www.jimbeam.com/bourbons/jim-beam-apple

> > Could still be that it never saw an apple. But my guess is that
> > there's apple in there, encouraged with some "natural flavouring".
> >

> Jim Beam Apple is made by blending an apple liqueur with Jim Beam Bourbon.
> As is clearly stated on the label, this is indeed an apple liqueur. It
> is bottled at 35 percent ABV (70 proof), making it one of the stronger
> apple liqueurs on the market.

I did a bit of looking and couldn't find out how the apple liqueur was made.
It could be classic applejack or it could be grain alcohol with apple
flavoring and sugar.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 13:13:20 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 12:08:57 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 07:42:59 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>>
>> >"Jim Beam Apple is a perfectly balanced combination of apple
>> > liqueur and Jim Beam Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.
>> > The result is a crisp, fresh burst of green apple with a
>> > warm bourbon finish." 70 proof.
>> >
>> >https://www.jimbeam.com/bourbons/jim-beam-apple

>> Could still be that it never saw an apple. But my guess is that
>> there's apple in there, encouraged with some "natural flavouring".
>>

>Jim Beam Apple is made by blending an apple liqueur with Jim Beam Bourbon.
>As is clearly stated on the label, this is indeed an apple liqueur. It
>is bottled at 35 percent ABV (70 proof), making it one of the stronger
>apple liqueurs on the market.

But apple liqueur might have grated beetle butts (natural flavouring)
added to up the apple flavour. Or any other bug that has an appley
butt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 3:23:07 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 13:13:20 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >Jim Beam Apple is made by blending an apple liqueur with Jim Beam Bourbon.
> >As is clearly stated on the label, this is indeed an apple liqueur. It
> >is bottled at 35 percent ABV (70 proof), making it one of the stronger
> >apple liqueurs on the market.

> But apple liqueur might have grated beetle butts (natural flavouring)
> added to up the apple flavour. Or any other bug that has an appley
> butt.

You're making my mouth water again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

on 11/15/2019, Cindy Hamilton supposed :
> On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 4:13:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:

>>> Could still be that it never saw an apple. But my guess is that
>>> there's apple in there, encouraged with some "natural flavouring".
>>>

>> Jim Beam Apple is made by blending an apple liqueur with Jim Beam Bourbon.
>> As is clearly stated on the label, this is indeed an apple liqueur. It
>> is bottled at 35 percent ABV (70 proof), making it one of the stronger
>> apple liqueurs on the market.

> I did a bit of looking and couldn't find out how the apple liqueur was made.

YAY! What a way to spend the work day!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 13:28:16 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 3:23:07 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 13:13:20 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Jim Beam Apple is made by blending an apple liqueur with Jim Beam Bourbon.
>> >As is clearly stated on the label, this is indeed an apple liqueur. It
>> >is bottled at 35 percent ABV (70 proof), making it one of the stronger
>> >apple liqueurs on the market.

>> But apple liqueur might have grated beetle butts (natural flavouring)
>> added to up the apple flavour. Or any other bug that has an appley
>> butt.
>>

>You're making my mouth water again.

Maybe you should try Calvados or Poire Williams.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 3:28:20 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 3:23:07 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 13:13:20 -0800 (PST), "
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >Jim Beam Apple is made by blending an apple liqueur with Jim Beam Bourbon.
> > >As is clearly stated on the label, this is indeed an apple liqueur. It
> > >is bottled at 35 percent ABV (70 proof), making it one of the stronger
> > >apple liqueurs on the market.

> > But apple liqueur might have grated beetle butts (natural flavouring)
> > added to up the apple flavour. Or any other bug that has an appley
> > butt.
> >

> You're making my mouth water again.

For grated beetle butts? ;-)

John Kuthe...

Fruitcake? Andy[_2_] General Cooking 54 22-12-2007 08:06 PM
Fruitcake Betty Young Recipes (moderated) 0 11-12-2007 10:17 PM
Dalmatian tourist season late, growing season full-on johnjgoddard.com General Cooking 3 07-07-2006 06:23 PM
REC - Fruitcake Damsel General Cooking 12 15-10-2005 07:08 PM
Fruitcake for fruitcake haters (WAS: Fruitcake as Gifts: A Plea kalanamak General Cooking 13 28-11-2003 03:12 PM