Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Winter squash identifier with recipes

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 12:57:58 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 3:52:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>> On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 12:51:18 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> >
>> > I've eaten at least eight types of squash:
>> >
>> > zucchini
>> > crookneck
>> > patty pan
>> > acorn
>> > butternut
>> > buttercup
>> > kabocha
>> > pumpkin
>> >
>> > Maybe more. Zucchini the most frequently, by far.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton
>> >

>> A few years ago my brother grew some zucchini and yellow squash in his garden.
>> Of course the zukes grew like a cancer produced copious amounts and he brought
>> me some. I don't like them

>What's not to like? Zucchini is a mild vegetable that absorbs whatever
>flavor it's cooked with.

That's what I thought, but I didn't want to ask, for fear of coming
across judgemental.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 4:13:21 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 12:57:58 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> A few years ago my brother grew some zucchini and yellow squash in his garden.
> >> Of course the zukes grew like a cancer produced copious amounts and he brought
> >> me some. I don't like them

> >What's not to like? Zucchini is a mild vegetable that absorbs whatever
> >flavor it's cooked with.

> That's what I thought, but I didn't want to ask, for fear of coming
> across judgemental.

Eh. It could be textural. A lot of people have food
dislikes because of texture rather than taste.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 13:14:50 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 4:13:21 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 12:57:58 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >What's not to like? Zucchini is a mild vegetable that absorbs whatever
>> >flavor it's cooked with.

>> That's what I thought, but I didn't want to ask, for fear of coming
>> across judgemental.

>Eh. It could be textural. A lot of people have food
>dislikes because of texture rather than taste.

>Granted, it's not appealing if cooked to mush.

True. Maybe she's had it slimified.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 2:58:01 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 3:52:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> >
> > A few years ago my brother grew some zucchini and yellow squash in his garden.
> > Of course the zukes grew like a cancer produced copious amounts and he brought
> > me some. I don't like them

> What's not to like? Zucchini is a mild vegetable that absorbs whatever
> flavor it's cooked with. Granted, it's not appealing if cooked to mush.
>
> Grilled, sauteed with garlic, or even topped with spaghetti sauce. It's
> all good.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

These were prepared as some sort of zucchini boat and I do remember bread
crumbs. I ate mine as I was afraid it would make an appearance back at my
house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 07:20:02 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 13:06:01 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 06:02:12 +1100, Bruce >
>>wrote:

>>>Oh yes, pumpkin. Pumpkin dip from the supermarket, for instance. And
>>>Queensland blue.
>>>
>>>I think, generally speaking, squash is more of an American thing,
>>>though. The word alone.

>>I understood that the Aussies called them all "pumpkin."

>When I search for squash at a leading supermarket, I get patty pan and
>zucchini:
><https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/search/products?searchTerm=squash>
>
>And this for pumpkin:
><https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/search/products?searchTerm=pumpkin>

O.k., got it.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 07:39:12 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:
snip

>There aren't that many koalas left due to the fires.

I was happy to hear that some Aus. people have offered to take in and
tend to injured koalas. The last big fire you had last year or the
year before was hard on the population as well.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 12:57:58 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 3:52:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>> On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 12:51:18 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> >
>> > I've eaten at least eight types of squash:
>> >
>> > zucchini
>> > crookneck
>> > patty pan
>> > acorn
>> > butternut
>> > buttercup
>> > kabocha
>> > pumpkin
>> >
>> > Maybe more. Zucchini the most frequently, by far.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton
>> >

>> A few years ago my brother grew some zucchini and yellow squash in his garden.
>> Of course the zukes grew like a cancer produced copious amounts and he brought
>> me some. I don't like them

>What's not to like? Zucchini is a mild vegetable that absorbs whatever
>flavor it's cooked with. Granted, it's not appealing if cooked to mush.
>
>Grilled, sauteed with garlic, or even topped with spaghetti sauce. It's
>all good.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

tossed into soup or put into a skillet dish or casserole is just fine.
There are recipes for pickling them either sweet, hot or dill.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 08:19:32 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 13:14:50 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 4:13:21 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 12:57:58 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>>> That's what I thought, but I didn't want to ask, for fear of coming
>>> across judgemental.

>>Eh. It could be textural. A lot of people have food
>>dislikes because of texture rather than taste.

>>Granted, it's not appealing if cooked to mush.

>True. Maybe she's had it slimified.

In the past I have made zucchini sticks that were very tasty. What I
remember. Cut into sticks when young, do the egg wash, seasoned bread
crumb thing and either fry or bake.
You can also make quick bread/muffins, cookies, or cake. All of which
are very good.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 13:30:46 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 2:58:01 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 3:52:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>> >
>> > A few years ago my brother grew some zucchini and yellow squash in his garden.
>> > Of course the zukes grew like a cancer produced copious amounts and he brought
>> > me some. I don't like them

>> What's not to like? Zucchini is a mild vegetable that absorbs whatever
>> flavor it's cooked with. Granted, it's not appealing if cooked to mush.
>>
>> Grilled, sauteed with garlic, or even topped with spaghetti sauce. It's
>> all good.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>These were prepared as some sort of zucchini boat and I do remember bread
>crumbs. I ate mine as I was afraid it would make an appearance back at my
>house.

I used to do the boat thing but that was the last husband. The
current one finds that much zucchini too much. He prefers zucchini
disguised.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 15:30:57 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 07:39:12 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>snip
>>
>>There aren't that many koalas left due to the fires.

>I was happy to hear that some Aus. people have offered to take in and
>tend to injured koalas. The last big fire you had last year or the
>year before was hard on the population as well.

Those people do great work, although many koalas have to be
euthanised.

There's one area where they've been working for 20 years to restore
the koala population. All of them died in the fire. It's really,
really bad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-15 3:36 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 08:19:32 +1100, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 13:14:50 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> Eh. It could be textural. A lot of people have food
>>> dislikes because of texture rather than taste.

>>> Granted, it's not appealing if cooked to mush.

>> True. Maybe she's had it slimified.

> In the past I have made zucchini sticks that were very tasty. What I
> remember. Cut into sticks when young, do the egg wash, seasoned bread
> crumb thing and either fry or bake.
> You can also make quick bread/muffins, cookies, or cake. All of which
> are very good.
> Janet US

Multi-coloured peppers were on special last week so I bought some
zucchini and eggplant (aubergine) and made a large batch of ratatouille
(cheating by using canned tomatoes).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S Janet B wrote:
> tossed into soup or put into a skillet dish or casserole is just fine.
> There are recipes for pickling them either sweet, hot or dill.

raw with ranch dressing is ok too.

however, in the end, if i'm eating something i want
calories with taste these days. i don't need filler
(i have beans for that ).

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
>>The only other "squash" I've had is that small yellow thing that looks
>>like a flying saucer. Something pan.
>>
>>What was it like? Not something I've ever had

> It's as neutral/flexible as courgette, but with a bit more bite
> because it has more skin.

likely pattypan.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 18:55:47 -0500, songbird >
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>>The only other "squash" I've had is that small yellow thing that looks
>>>like a flying saucer. Something pan.
>>>
>>>What was it like? Not something I've ever had

>> It's as neutral/flexible as courgette, but with a bit more bite
>> because it has more skin.

> likely pattypan.

Yes, that's the one I meant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 09:51:05 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:
snip

>There's one area where they've been working for 20 years to restore
>the koala population. All of them died in the fire. It's really,
>really bad.

Is that the 600+ that I read about in the news?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 15:51:11 -0700, graham > wrote:

snip

>Multi-coloured peppers were on special last week so I bought some
>zucchini and eggplant (aubergine) and made a large batch of ratatouille
>(cheating by using canned tomatoes).

for a while now the peppers will be reasonable because of harvest
season and then the price will climb.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 18:51:15 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 09:51:05 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>snip
>>
>>There's one area where they've been working for 20 years to restore
>>the koala population. All of them died in the fire. It's really,
>>really bad.

>Is that the 600+ that I read about in the news?

That sounds about right and the fires are still going full speed.
Koalas were already endangered due to loss of habitat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-15 6:52 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 15:51:11 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
> snip
>>>

>> Multi-coloured peppers were on special last week so I bought some
>> zucchini and eggplant (aubergine) and made a large batch of ratatouille
>> (cheating by using canned tomatoes).

> for a while now the peppers will be reasonable because of harvest
> season and then the price will climb.

I left it late this year. Ratatouille is, for me, a summertime dish when
all the ingredients come into season and are abundant in the farmers'
markets.
Whenever I make it I always think that I should make it more often. It's
such a delicious and healthy dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/15/2019 7:45 AM, Gary wrote:

> I like squash floured or battered and fried in a pan with a
> bit of oil. Same with green tomatoes at end of season.
> I'm talking about thick slices like 1/2 inch or a bit more.

Summer squash, sure. Zucchini, yellow squash. Not winter squash.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 20:50:21 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 12:07:56 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>
>>You got me)) I have eaten and cooked zucchini/courgette (same thing
>>here) but that is all!! None of the rest.
>>
>>Never had any of the others or come to think of it, never had the
>>courgettes when I was growing up either.

>I think they were only introduced in the Netherlands in the 70s. They
>were a Mediterranean thing before.
>
>The only other "squash" I've had is that small yellow thing that looks
>like a flying saucer. Something pan.
>
>===
>
>What was it like? Not something I've ever had

It's as neutral/flexible as courgette, but with a bit more bite
because it has more skin.

====

Hmm well, it sounds as though it wasn't so bad. I will still leave it
to you though <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 19:27:04 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-11-15 6:52 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 15:51:11 -0700, graham > wrote:
>>
>> snip
>>>>
>>> Multi-coloured peppers were on special last week so I bought some
>>> zucchini and eggplant (aubergine) and made a large batch of ratatouille
>>> (cheating by using canned tomatoes).

>> for a while now the peppers will be reasonable because of harvest
>> season and then the price will climb.
>>

>I left it late this year. Ratatouille is, for me, a summertime dish when
>all the ingredients come into season and are abundant in the farmers'
>markets.
>Whenever I make it I always think that I should make it more often. It's
>such a delicious and healthy dish.

I've never made it myself.. I think because I ate the dish at
different times made by different people and I didn't like how soupy
it was. Is it supposed to be soupy?
The first time I had it my palate just wasn't developed enough to
enjoy all those flavors together.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 13:00:16 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 19:27:04 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
>>On 2019-11-15 6:52 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 15:51:11 -0700, graham > wrote:
>>>
>>> snip

>>> for a while now the peppers will be reasonable because of harvest
>>> season and then the price will climb.
>>>

>>I left it late this year. Ratatouille is, for me, a summertime dish when
>>all the ingredients come into season and are abundant in the farmers'
>>markets.
>>Whenever I make it I always think that I should make it more often. It's
>>such a delicious and healthy dish.

>I've never made it myself.. I think because I ate the dish at
>different times made by different people and I didn't like how soupy
>it was. Is it supposed to be soupy?
>The first time I had it my palate just wasn't developed enough to
>enjoy all those flavors together.
>Janet

Everyone who does serious gardening does ratatouille... here's no
reason it should be soupy... I do ratatouille often, it's essentually
a veggie stew. The trick is proper flavoring, I add a lot of 'shrooms
and pimento stuffed olives.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-12, U.S Janet B > wrote:

> good site: Interesting recipes.

I was not aware Hubbard or Spaghetti squash was a "winter" squash.
Hubbard is that big piece o' (in produce section) squash labeled as
"summer" squash in most sprmkts (or "frozen"). We usta freeze it
during the Summer canning season.

Winter sqaush recipe (M-I-L's).
---------------------

3-4 (1/2" sqrs) small Zukes
3-4 (1/2" sqrs) crook-necked squash
3-4 (1/2" sqrs) patty-pan squash
1/2 (or whole) can of kernal corn
1/2 C Jack cheese (or whatever you like)

boil all in pan using canned corn juices till cheese melts. Serve.

---------------------

I thought "winter" squash was only the 3 above, despite "Zukes"
ripening in the Summer.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 12:28:06 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> On 2019-11-12, U.S Janet B > wrote:
>
> > good site: Interesting recipes.

> I was not aware Hubbard or Spaghetti squash was a "winter" squash.
> Hubbard is that big piece o' (in produce section) squash labeled as
> "summer" squash in most sprmkts (or "frozen"). We usta freeze it
> during the Summer canning season.

"Winter squash are slow growing, and are harvested in the late summer through the fall. They have a thicker skin that toughens into a rind that allows for the squash to be stored and enjoyed through the winter. ... Summer squash are quick-growing (and typically prolific) producers of soft fruit (yes, squash are fruit)."

<https://medium.com/avalow/winter-squash-vs-summer-squash-what-is-the-difference-9c84a674f65d>

Hubbard squash is the poster child for "tough rind".

None of the below are winter squash.

> Winter sqaush recipe (M-I-L's).
> ---------------------
>
> 3-4 (1/2" sqrs) small Zukes
> 3-4 (1/2" sqrs) crook-necked squash
> 3-4 (1/2" sqrs) patty-pan squash
> 1/2 (or whole) can of kernal corn
> 1/2 C Jack cheese (or whatever you like)
>
> boil all in pan using canned corn juices till cheese melts. Serve.
>
> ---------------------
>
> I thought "winter" squash was only the 3 above, despite "Zukes"
> ripening in the Summer.
>
> nb

Boil? No, thank you. Water squashes like zucchini, crookneck and
pattypan benefit from dry-heat cooking. Grilling, roasting, or
sauteeing.

Cindy Hamilton

Gratin of Winter Squash Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 16-09-2005 01:52 AM
Winter Squash Risotto 7Hawks Recipes 0 18-11-2004 09:09 PM
With all the postings on winter squash..... Kswck General Cooking 18 06-11-2004 10:09 PM
Winter Squash Soup Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 31-10-2004 03:15 PM
Winter Squash varieties LIMEYNO1 General Cooking 4 21-11-2003 05:29 AM