Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Healthy and not so healthy fats for deep frying

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...or-deep-frying

I haven't deep fried for years, but I still fry foods occasionally and currently use EVOO.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

> https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...or-deep-frying
>
> I haven't deep fried for years, but I still fry foods occasionally and currently use EVOO.

I think it's been over 2 years myself since I've deep fried.
Overdue. I have a list of things to cook when I finally get
around to it. I'll normally deep fry every day for about a week
then quit for a long time.

Other than homemade fries, also tempura battered sweet potato,
onion rings, chicken liver, fried clams and oysters - both fried
whole. For that, I use either vegetable oil or canola oil. Never
have noticed an off taste with canola.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:
> https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...or-deep-frying
>
> I haven't deep fried for years, but I still fry foods occasionally and currently use EVOO.

we don't cook like that at home. we both dislike the
smell of fried oils hanging in the air and the way the
surfaces all get coated with that oil.

if i had to do a lot of it i'd be cooking outside.

once in a while i will fry a burger (covered) in a
little butter and that's about it. more general cooking
we're usually just browning meats a bit or softening up
onions/garlic/etc.

8 meals out of 10 here are reheated portions or
even cold meals of veggies, salads, sandwiches, etc.
i like cooking when i do it, but neither of us are
much into presentation or being all formal about
most meals.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

A Moose in Love wrote:

> https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...or-deep-frying
>
> I haven't deep fried for years, but I still fry foods occasionally and
> currently use EVOO.

I think it's been over 2 years myself since I've deep fried.
Overdue. I have a list of things to cook when I finally get
around to it. I'll normally deep fry every day for about a week
then quit for a long time.

Other than homemade fries, also tempura battered sweet potato,
onion rings, chicken liver, fried clams and oysters - both fried
whole. For that, I use either vegetable oil or canola oil. Never
have noticed an off taste with canola.

===

It is a special treat for us when I deep fry food It will be fish and
chips!!

I make my own batter and deep fry either cod or haddock. Then of course
the chips (fries?)

Childhood foods that we grew up with))

I do use Olive oil but in childhood it was beef dripping! I don't have
that much courage any more LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:

> i like cooking when i do it, but neither of us are
> much into presentation or being all formal about
> most meals.

Same with me. Now that I live alone, I never worry about
presentation for myself. I know it will be good and I just
toss it all onto a plate and enjoy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2019 9:51 AM, Gary wrote:
> A Moose in Love wrote:
>>
>> https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...or-deep-frying
>>
>> I haven't deep fried for years, but I still fry foods occasionally and currently use EVOO.

> I think it's been over 2 years myself since I've deep fried.
> Overdue. I have a list of things to cook when I finally get
> around to it. I'll normally deep fry every day for about a week
> then quit for a long time.
>
> Other than homemade fries, also tempura battered sweet potato,
> onion rings, chicken liver, fried clams and oysters - both fried
> whole. For that, I use either vegetable oil or canola oil. Never
> have noticed an off taste with canola.

Some years go I bought a small fryer. We used it a few times and it
works well, but it is also a PITA to use. If used on a daily basis
fine, but to do one batch of fries you have to fill the oil, then clean
it up and either store or waste the oil. Made some good fish & chips
though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Some years go I bought a small fryer. We used it a few times and it
> works well, but it is also a PITA to use. If used on a daily basis
> fine, but to do one batch of fries you have to fill the oil, then clean
> it up and either store or waste the oil. Made some good fish & chips
> though.

A friend gave me a Christmas gift - an electric deep fryer. It
was large though and more than I needed. I used it once but then
cleaned it up and never again. Would have been nice for a large
family that used it often.

I use a small sauce pan....maybe 1.5 quart for my small amounts.

Note: when cooking fries and vegetables, no need to clean up the
pan. Just put a lid on once it cools a bit and reuse it for the
week. It lasts just fine. Oil does not go bad in such a
short time. I've even done that for a few weeks with no
problem.

If there is some debris on the bottom, like from battered
vegetables, just pour the oil off into a jar, wipe out the
debris, then pour the oil back in.

Only time I change oil is after cooking meat, especially
the clams and oysters. This is why, I cook those things near
the end of my week or so.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-11, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 11/11/2019 9:51 AM, Gary wrote:

> works well, but it is also a PITA to use.

Jes fill a wok a little under half full w/ peanut oil. The oil can be
cleaned with a coffee filter.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 12:02:45 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > Some years go I bought a small fryer. We used it a few times and it
> > works well, but it is also a PITA to use. If used on a daily basis
> > fine, but to do one batch of fries you have to fill the oil, then clean
> > it up and either store or waste the oil. Made some good fish & chips
> > though.

> A friend gave me a Christmas gift - an electric deep fryer. It
> was large though and more than I needed. I used it once but then
> cleaned it up and never again. Would have been nice for a large
> family that used it often.
>
> I use a small sauce pan....maybe 1.5 quart for my small amounts.
>
> Note: when cooking fries and vegetables, no need to clean up the
> pan. Just put a lid on once it cools a bit and reuse it for the
> week. It lasts just fine. Oil does not go bad in such a
> short time. I've even done that for a few weeks with no
> problem.
>
> If there is some debris on the bottom, like from battered
> vegetables, just pour the oil off into a jar, wipe out the
> debris, then pour the oil back in.
>
> Only time I change oil is after cooking meat, especially
> the clams and oysters. This is why, I cook those things near
> the end of my week or so.

You can also filter the oil. I remember using some type of paper filter when filtering the oil every night at work. Whenever I made lots of schnitzels, I shallow fried them in a combo of oil and butter(not clafified). Every couple of batches, I'd run the fat through a fine sieve.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-11, A Moose in Love > wrote:

> I haven't deep fried for years, but I still fry foods occasionally and currently use EVOO.

I been using evoo on bread, instead of butter. I prefer Greek evoo
fer bread (sourdough), regular Italian oo fer cooking.

Been cooking ina steel skillet w/ oo. Works OK, if not cooking with
too high a temp (eggs, etc).

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 12:44:47 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> On 2019-11-11, A Moose in Love > wrote:
>
> > I haven't deep fried for years, but I still fry foods occasionally and currently use EVOO.

> I been using evoo on bread, instead of butter. I prefer Greek evoo
> fer bread (sourdough), regular Italian oo fer cooking.
>
> Been cooking ina steel skillet w/ oo. Works OK, if not cooking with
> too high a temp (eggs, etc).
>
> nb

Speaking of using EVOO on bread, my Dad and his friends used to take a slice of rye bread, spread it with duck or goose fat, top with chopped raw garlic and some really hot little green chilis. It's not my cup of tea, but that's what they did back in Hungary sometimes, so they did it here as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love > wrote:
> https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...or-deep-frying
>
> I haven't deep fried for years, but I still fry foods occasionally and
> currently use EVOO.

I dont €œdeep€ fry anymore, but when I fry anything I use algae oil. It has
the highest smoke-point at 485 degrees, as well as the highest percentage
of monounsaturated fats, and the lowest percentage of saturated fats of any
cooking oil. It also has no taste, unlike canola which tastes vile. Its
expensive though, so probably not a great choice for frequent deep frying.
But for everyday pan frying its awesome.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 20:16:11 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>A Moose in Love > wrote:
>> https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...or-deep-frying
>>
>> I haven't deep fried for years, but I still fry foods occasionally and
>> currently use EVOO.
>>

>I dont €œdeep€ fry anymore, but when I fry anything I use algae oil. It has
>the highest smoke-point at 485 degrees, as well as the highest percentage
>of monounsaturated fats, and the lowest percentage of saturated fats of any
>cooking oil. It also has no taste, unlike canola which tastes vile. Its
>expensive though, so probably not a great choice for frequent deep frying.
>But for everyday pan frying its awesome.

I've never seen it in a supermarket.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jinx the Minx" wrote in message ...

A Moose in Love > wrote:
> https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...or-deep-frying
>
> I haven't deep fried for years, but I still fry foods occasionally and
> currently use EVOO.

I dont €œdeep€ fry anymore, but when I fry anything I use algae oil. It has
the highest smoke-point at 485 degrees, as well as the highest percentage
of monounsaturated fats, and the lowest percentage of saturated fats of any
cooking oil. It also has no taste, unlike canola which tastes vile. Its
expensive though, so probably not a great choice for frequent deep frying.
But for everyday pan frying its awesome.

==

I have never heard of algae oil or seen it. Having said that I have never
looked for it either ... but I will

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20:16 11 Nov 2019, Jinx the Minx > wrote:

> A Moose in Love > wrote:
>> https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...or-deep-frying
>>
>> I haven't deep fried for years, but I still fry foods occasionally and
>> currently use EVOO.
>>

> I don't deep fry anymore, but when I fry anything I use algae
> oil. It has the highest smoke-point at 485 degrees, as well as the
> highest percentage of monounsaturated fats, and the lowest percentage of
> saturated fats of any cooking oil. It also has no taste, unlike canola
> which tastes vile. It's expensive though, so probably not a great
> choice for frequent deep frying. But for everyday pan frying it's
> awesome.

My veggie friend take algae oil as a source of omega-3. Didn't know you
could cook in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> Other than homemade fries, also tempura battered sweet potato,
>> onion rings, chicken liver, fried clams and oysters - both fried
>> whole. For that, I use either vegetable oil or canola oil. Never
>> have noticed an off taste with canola.
>>

> Some years go I bought a small fryer.Â* We used it a few times and it
> works well, but it is also a PITA to use.Â* If used on a daily basis
> fine, but to do one batch of fries you have to fill the oil, then clean
> it up and either store or waste the oil.Â* Made some good fish & chips
> though.

I have been using an air fryer for about 6 months not. It is not exactly
the same as deep frying, but it's pretty darned good. AAMOF, me wife is
in the middle of cooking supper and is making chips.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce > wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 20:16:11 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
>> A Moose in Love > wrote:
>>> https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...or-deep-frying
>>>
>>> I haven't deep fried for years, but I still fry foods occasionally and
>>> currently use EVOO.
>>>

>> I dont €œdeep€ fry anymore, but when I fry anything I use algae oil. It has
>> the highest smoke-point at 485 degrees, as well as the highest percentage
>> of monounsaturated fats, and the lowest percentage of saturated fats of any
>> cooking oil. It also has no taste, unlike canola which tastes vile. Its
>> expensive though, so probably not a great choice for frequent deep frying.
>> But for everyday pan frying its awesome.

> I've never seen it in a supermarket.

I can find it in all the stores around he

thrivealgae.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pamela > wrote:
> On 20:16 11 Nov 2019, Jinx the Minx > wrote:
>
>> A Moose in Love > wrote:
>>> https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...or-deep-frying
>>>
>>> I haven't deep fried for years, but I still fry foods occasionally and
>>> currently use EVOO.
>>>

>> I don't deep fry anymore, but when I fry anything I use algae
>> oil. It has the highest smoke-point at 485 degrees, as well as the
>> highest percentage of monounsaturated fats, and the lowest percentage of
>> saturated fats of any cooking oil. It also has no taste, unlike canola
>> which tastes vile. It's expensive though, so probably not a great
>> choice for frequent deep frying. But for everyday pan frying it's
>> awesome.
>>

> My veggie friend take algae oil as a source of omega-3. Didn't know you
> could cook in it.

I cant say whether they are the same formulation or not, but I can buy a
bottle of it right next to all the olive oils.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 22:39:05 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>Bruce > wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 20:16:11 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
>> > wrote:

>>> I dont €œdeep€ fry anymore, but when I fry anything I use algae oil. It has
>>> the highest smoke-point at 485 degrees, as well as the highest percentage
>>> of monounsaturated fats, and the lowest percentage of saturated fats of any
>>> cooking oil. It also has no taste, unlike canola which tastes vile. Its
>>> expensive though, so probably not a great choice for frequent deep frying.
>>> But for everyday pan frying its awesome.

>> I've never seen it in a supermarket.
>>

>I can find it in all the stores around he
>
>thrivealgae.com

I'll look for it next time. Algae are the future. (I don't know what
that means, but it sounds good.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 4:21:31 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> I have been using an air fryer for about 6 months not. It is not exactly
> the same as deep frying, but it's pretty darned good. AAMOF, me wife is
> in the middle of cooking supper and is making chips.

I like the results the Ninja Foodi gives when I use it as an air fryer without
the copious amounts of oil. I've got one of those PAM pump spray bottles that
gives a light spritz to food and gives the almost same results of deep frying.
PAM offers it in a choice of canola or olive oil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 04:36:58 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...or-deep-frying
>
>I haven't deep fried for years, but I still fry foods occasionally and currently use EVOO.

There's really no such thing as 'healthy deep frying'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 10:35:16 -0500, songbird >
wrote:

>A Moose in Love wrote:
>> https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...or-deep-frying
>>
>> I haven't deep fried for years, but I still fry foods occasionally and currently use EVOO.

> we don't cook like that at home. we both dislike the
>smell of fried oils hanging in the air and the way the
>surfaces all get coated with that oil.

Agreed. We don't deep fry at home for that and other reasons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 20:16:11 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>A Moose in Love > wrote:
>> https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...or-deep-frying
>>
>> I haven't deep fried for years, but I still fry foods occasionally and
>> currently use EVOO.
>>

>I don’t “deep” fry anymore, but when I fry anything I use algae oil. It has
>the highest smoke-point at 485 degrees, as well as the highest percentage
>of monounsaturated fats, and the lowest percentage of saturated fats of any
>cooking oil. It also has no taste, unlike canola which tastes vile. It’s
>expensive though, so probably not a great choice for frequent deep frying.
>But for everyday pan frying it’s awesome.

If you don't mind paying more - but don't want to go to ridiculous
expense - try rice bran oil. Relatively healthy, neutral taste and
has a high smoke point.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus > wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 20:16:11 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
>> A Moose in Love > wrote:
>>> https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...or-deep-frying
>>>
>>> I haven't deep fried for years, but I still fry foods occasionally and
>>> currently use EVOO.
>>>

>> I don’t “deep” fry anymore, but when I fry anything I use algae oil. It has
>> the highest smoke-point at 485 degrees, as well as the highest percentage
>> of monounsaturated fats, and the lowest percentage of saturated fats of any
>> cooking oil. It also has no taste, unlike canola which tastes vile. ItÂ’s
>> expensive though, so probably not a great choice for frequent deep frying.
>> But for everyday pan frying itÂ’s awesome.

> If you don't mind paying more - but don't want to go to ridiculous
> expense - try rice bran oil. Relatively healthy, neutral taste and
> has a high smoke point.

Ill have to search that one out. I was initially drawn to the algae oil
for its heart healthy properties. The more I used it, the more I realized
how awesome it really is. I dont fry much at all, but Ill never use
canola oil again for anything other than re-seasoning my cast iron.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 02:27:05 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>Jeßus > wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 20:16:11 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
>> > wrote:

>>> I don?t ?deep? fry anymore, but when I fry anything I use algae oil. It has
>>> the highest smoke-point at 485 degrees, as well as the highest percentage
>>> of monounsaturated fats, and the lowest percentage of saturated fats of any
>>> cooking oil. It also has no taste, unlike canola which tastes vile. It?s
>>> expensive though, so probably not a great choice for frequent deep frying.
>>> But for everyday pan frying it?s awesome.

>> If you don't mind paying more - but don't want to go to ridiculous
>> expense - try rice bran oil. Relatively healthy, neutral taste and
>> has a high smoke point.
>>

>I’ll have to search that one out. I was initially drawn to the algae oil
>for it’s heart healthy properties. The more I used it, the more I realized
>how awesome it really is. I don’t fry much at all, but I’ll never use
>canola oil again for anything other than re-seasoning my cast iron.

TBH, I've never come across algae oil, I'm sure t's good though.
Not sure if it's available in Australia (certainly not in Thailand)
but I can imagine it's very expensive. We don't do a whole lot of
frying, never deep frying, so it's not something of concern for us.

Edit: I googled for Australian availability. I think I'll pass!
147ml for Price 33.95 $ + 20.20 $ Standard Shipping
https://www.fruugoaustralia.com/thri...75968-55764072

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus > wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 02:27:05 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
>> Jeßus > wrote:
>>> On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 20:16:11 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx

>>> If you don't mind paying more - but don't want to go to ridiculous
>>> expense - try rice bran oil. Relatively healthy, neutral taste and
>>> has a high smoke point.
>>>

>> IÂ’ll have to search that one out. I was initially drawn to the algae oil
>> for itÂ’s heart healthy properties. The more I used it, the more I realized
>> how awesome it really is. I donÂ’t fry much at all, but IÂ’ll never use
>> canola oil again for anything other than re-seasoning my cast iron.

> TBH, I've never come across algae oil, I'm sure t's good though.
> Not sure if it's available in Australia (certainly not in Thailand)
> but I can imagine it's very expensive. We don't do a whole lot of
> frying, never deep frying, so it's not something of concern for us.
>
> Edit: I googled for Australian availability. I think I'll pass!
> 147ml for Price 33.95 $ + 20.20 $ Standard Shipping
> https://www.fruugoaustralia.com/thri...75968-55764072

Yikes. I pay $10.99 for a 16 ounce bottle. I havent used the spray kind
yet as in your link.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" wrote in message ...

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 04:36:58 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...or-deep-frying
>
>I haven't deep fried for years, but I still fry foods occasionally and
>currently use EVOO.

There's really no such thing as 'healthy deep frying'.

===

I agree That is why deep frying here is a special treat)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus > wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 02:27:05 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
>> Jeßus > wrote:
>>> On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 20:16:11 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx

>>> If you don't mind paying more - but don't want to go to ridiculous
>>> expense - try rice bran oil. Relatively healthy, neutral taste and
>>> has a high smoke point.
>>>

>> Ill have to search that one out. I was initially drawn to the algae oil
>> for its heart healthy properties. The more I used it, the more I
>> realized
>> how awesome it really is. I dont fry much at all, but Ill never use
>> canola oil again for anything other than re-seasoning my cast iron.

> TBH, I've never come across algae oil, I'm sure t's good though.
> Not sure if it's available in Australia (certainly not in Thailand)
> but I can imagine it's very expensive. We don't do a whole lot of
> frying, never deep frying, so it's not something of concern for us.
>
> Edit: I googled for Australian availability. I think I'll pass!
> 147ml for Price 33.95 $ + 20.20 $ Standard Shipping
> https://www.fruugoaustralia.com/thri...75968-55764072

Yikes. I pay $10.99 for a 16 ounce bottle. I havent used the spray kind
yet as in your link.

===

I always transfer some oil into a spray bottle. I prefer to use the
spray instead of pouring a lot on foods.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 5:39:10 PM UTC-5, Jinx the Minx wrote:
> Bruce > wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 20:16:11 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > > wrote:

> >> I dont €œdeep€ fry anymore, but when I fry anything I use algae oil. It has
> >> the highest smoke-point at 485 degrees, as well as the highest percentage
> >> of monounsaturated fats, and the lowest percentage of saturated fats of any
> >> cooking oil. It also has no taste, unlike canola which tastes vile. Its
> >> expensive though, so probably not a great choice for frequent deep frying.
> >> But for everyday pan frying its awesome.

> > I've never seen it in a supermarket.
> >

> I can find it in all the stores around he
>
> thrivealgae.com

I'm a little curious about what you mean by "all the stores".

Kroger? Aldi? Sav-a-Lot?

Ok, that last one is a stretch.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
> On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 5:39:10 PM UTC-5, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>> Bruce > wrote:
>>> On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 20:16:11 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx

>>> I've never seen it in a supermarket.
>>>

>> I can find it in all the stores around he
>>
>> thrivealgae.com

> I'm a little curious about what you mean by "all the stores".
>
> Kroger? Aldi? Sav-a-Lot?
>
> Ok, that last one is a stretch.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Target, Walmart, Cub Foods, Kowalskis, Whole Foods, Hy-Vee...

99% of all my grocery shopping is done at Hy-Vee and Target.

We dont have Kroger here, nor Sav-a-lot, and I dont shop at Aldi so Im
not sure there. Theres a store locator search on their website if you want
to check locally.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-12, Jinx the Minx > wrote:

> canola oil again for anything other than re-seasoning my cast iron.

Seasoning steel or cast-iron, "flax" seed oil is very good, but has a
bad taste.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 10:56:02 AM UTC-5, Jinx the Minx wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> >> I can find it in all the stores around he
> >>
> >> thrivealgae.com

> > I'm a little curious about what you mean by "all the stores".
> >
> > Kroger? Aldi? Sav-a-Lot?
> >
> > Ok, that last one is a stretch.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Target, Walmart, Cub Foods, Kowalskis, Whole Foods, Hy-Vee...
>
> 99% of all my grocery shopping is done at Hy-Vee and Target.
>
> We dont have Kroger here, nor Sav-a-lot, and I dont shop at Aldi so Im
> not sure there. Theres a store locator search on their website if you want
> to check locally.

Not really interested, but thanks. Algae oil struck me as a pretty
exotic thing. I'm happy with grapeseed oil for most frying. I don't
deep fry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 10:56:02 AM UTC-5, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

>>> I'm a little curious about what you mean by "all the stores".
>>>
>>> Kroger? Aldi? Sav-a-Lot?
>>>
>>> Ok, that last one is a stretch.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Target, Walmart, Cub Foods, Kowalskis, Whole Foods, Hy-Vee...
>>
>> 99% of all my grocery shopping is done at Hy-Vee and Target.
>>
>> We dont have Kroger here, nor Sav-a-lot, and I dont shop at Aldi so Im
>> not sure there. Theres a store locator search on their website if you want
>> to check locally.

> Not really interested, but thanks. Algae oil struck me as a pretty
> exotic thing. I'm happy with grapeseed oil for most frying. I don't
> deep fry.

I dont deep fry either. I was originally put off a bit by the idea of
algae oil until I tried it because it sounds like itd be gross. DH has
heart issues so I really try to cater to his dietary needs, so thats what
pushed me to try it. Turns out its really light and has no flavor, so I
use it now almost exclusively for pan frying and sautéing. I dont think
Ill ever use canola again, thats for sure. That crap tastes horrid and
ruins everything thats cooked in it. I never used to be able to taste it,
so Im not sure how that changed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:
> On 2019-11-12, Jinx the Minx > wrote:
>
>> canola oil again for anything other than re-seasoning my cast iron.

> Seasoning steel or cast-iron, "flax" seed oil is very good, but has a
> bad taste.
>
> nb

I usually use old fashioned Crisco vegetable oil for my pans, but Im open
to other options. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 02:30:59 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

>>> Target, Walmart, Cub Foods, Kowalskis, Whole Foods, Hy-Vee...
>>>
>>> 99% of all my grocery shopping is done at Hy-Vee and Target.
>>>
>>> We dont have Kroger here, nor Sav-a-lot, and I dont shop at Aldi so Im
>>> not sure there. Theres a store locator search on their website if you want
>>> to check locally.

>> Not really interested, but thanks. Algae oil struck me as a pretty
>> exotic thing. I'm happy with grapeseed oil for most frying. I don't
>> deep fry.
>>

>I dont deep fry either.

Why is everybody here so afraid of deep-frying but y'all eat any crap
the food industry puts in your pie hole.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 02:30:59 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
>> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

>>> Not really interested, but thanks. Algae oil struck me as a pretty
>>> exotic thing. I'm happy with grapeseed oil for most frying. I don't
>>> deep fry.
>>>

>> I don€„¢t deep fry either.

> Why is everybody here so afraid of deep-frying but y'all eat any crap
> the food industry puts in your pie hole.

It's too much mess to clean up.

And why do you worry so much about what others eat? Especially those
to whom you show absolutely no respect?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 9:09:58 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 02:30:59 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
> >Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> >> Not really interested, but thanks. Algae oil struck me as a pretty
> >> exotic thing. I'm happy with grapeseed oil for most frying. I don't
> >> deep fry.
> >>

> >I dont deep fry either.

> Why is everybody here so afraid of deep-frying but y'all eat any crap
> the food industry puts in your pie hole.

I cannot remember the last time I ate something deep fried. But I remember in the 1990's when I drove to a lot of Eastern WW river trips learning that you know you are in a fine southern food establishment when the waitress asks you "And how would you like that fried?"

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 20:59:33 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 9:09:58 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 02:30:59 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
>> > wrote:

>> >I dont deep fry either.

>> Why is everybody here so afraid of deep-frying but y'all eat any crap
>> the food industry puts in your pie hole.

>I cannot remember the last time I ate something deep fried. But I remember in the 1990's when I drove to a lot of Eastern WW river trips learning that you know you are in a fine southern food establishment when the waitress asks you "And how would you like that fried?"

I'll have that deep-fried but leave out the locust bean gum and the
grated beetle butts , please.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jinx the Minx wrote:
> I dont deep fry either. I was originally put off a bit by the idea of
> algae oil until I tried it because it sounds like itd be gross. DH has
> heart issues so I really try to cater to his dietary needs, so thats what
> pushed me to try it. Turns out its really light and has no flavor, so I
> use it now almost exclusively for pan frying and sautéing. I dont think
> Ill ever use canola again, thats for sure. That crap tastes horrid and
> ruins everything thats cooked in it. I never used to be able to taste it,
> so Im not sure how that changed.

one of the toughest thing about being vegetarian
in a mixed house is that you can smell rancid grease
and dead animal and fats on pretty much everything.

as a meat eater/cooker you will not smell these
much or at all.

it's disgusting.

for me (when i was primarily eating only vegetables)
if someone cooked meat it would take washing a pan three
or more times to remove the stench.

it takes a while after starting to eat and cook meats
again before this sensitivity wears off.

so if you are moving in the other direction where you
are eating more vegetables and using oils that aren't
animal fat related you could be experiencing some version
of that sensitivity developing.

the only real solution is to eat grass fed and free
range meats and/or cooking meats more often so you don't
develop that sensitivity.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 00:29:17 -0500, songbird >
wrote:

>Jinx the Minx wrote:
>> I don€„¢t deep fry either. I was originally put off a bit by the idea of
>> algae oil until I tried it because it sounds like it€„¢d be gross. DH has
>> heart issues so I really try to cater to his dietary needs, so that€„¢s what
>> pushed me to try it. Turns out it€„¢s really light and has no flavor, so I
>> use it now almost exclusively for pan frying and sautéing. I don€„¢t think
>> I€„¢ll ever use canola again, that€„¢s for sure. That crap tastes horrid and
>> ruins everything that€„¢s cooked in it. I never used to be able to taste it,
>> so I€„¢m not sure how that changed.

> one of the toughest thing about being vegetarian
>in a mixed house is that you can smell rancid grease
>and dead animal and fats on pretty much everything.
>
> as a meat eater/cooker you will not smell these
>much or at all.
>
> it's disgusting.

Yes, the smell of carrion.