Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Healthy and not so healthy fats for deep frying

Bruce > wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 02:30:59 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
>> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

>>> Not really interested, but thanks. Algae oil struck me as a pretty
>>> exotic thing. I'm happy with grapeseed oil for most frying. I don't
>>> deep fry.
>>>

>> I dont deep fry either.

> Why is everybody here so afraid of deep-frying but y'all eat any crap
> the food industry puts in your pie hole.

Im not afraid of deep frying, I just eat different foods than that. I eat
to feel better, not worse. And for the record, I do not eat whatever the
food industry puts in my pie hole. Im pretty sure you do, however.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 07:01:33 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>Bruce > wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 02:30:59 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
>> > wrote:

>>> I dont deep fry either.

>> Why is everybody here so afraid of deep-frying but y'all eat any crap
>> the food industry puts in your pie hole.
>>

>Im not afraid of deep frying, I just eat different foods than that. I eat
>to feel better, not worse. And for the record, I do not eat whatever the
>food industry puts in my pie hole. Im pretty sure you do, however.

It wasn't aimed at you or anybody else personally
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 9:31:06 PM UTC-5, Jinx the Minx wrote:

>I dont think
> Ill ever use canola again, thats for sure. That crap tastes horrid and
> ruins everything thats cooked in it. I never used to be able to taste it,
> so Im not sure how that changed.

I'm the same way with canola. When it first came out, I used it all the
time. Then it started smelling and tasting fishy when it was heated.
I don't know if I've changed or if the oil has.

I've got part of a bottle left that I use to lube the grates on my grill;
it polymerizes almost instantly and doesn't impart a taste to the food.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 10:09:58 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 02:30:59 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
> >Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> >> Not really interested, but thanks. Algae oil struck me as a pretty
> >> exotic thing. I'm happy with grapeseed oil for most frying. I don't
> >> deep fry.
> >>

> >I dont deep fry either.

> Why is everybody here so afraid of deep-frying but y'all eat any crap
> the food industry puts in your pie hole.

I'm not afraid of deep-frying. I don't want to become skilled at it and
I hate the way the house smells afterward. I'll eat my deep-fried food
in a restaurant, where they practice all day, every day.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 14:09:53 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 02:30:59 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:
>
>>Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

>>> Not really interested, but thanks. Algae oil struck me as a pretty
>>> exotic thing. I'm happy with grapeseed oil for most frying. I don't
>>> deep fry.
>>>

>>I dont deep fry either.

>Why is everybody here so afraid of deep-frying but y'all eat any crap
>the food industry puts in your pie hole.

I fry foods often but rarely deep fry, it wastes too much oil. For
deep frying the oil used typically costs much more than the food
fried... it greatly ofends my sensibility to use $5 worth of oil to
deep fry $2 worth of potatoes. I much rather pan fry with minimal oil
as in saute. Ocasionally I'll ripple cut a few pounds of potatoes,
coat them lightly with oil, and oven roast them on a non stick rack in
a non-stick roasting pan... better than any of those skinny deep fried
spuds from the fast food joints. The Chinese take-out in town will
deep fry whatever you want in a wok.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 18:17:08 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 07:01:33 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:
>
>>Bruce > wrote:
>>> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 02:30:59 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx

>>> Why is "everybody" here so afraid of deep-frying but y'all eat any crap
>>> the food industry puts in your pie hole.

>>Im not afraid of deep frying, I just eat different foods than that. I eat
>>to feel better, not worse. And for the record, I do not eat whatever the
>>food industry puts in my pie hole. Im pretty sure you do, however.

>It wasn't aimed at you or anybody else personally

Of course not, your comment was aimed at "everybody".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 10:59:54 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:
> I fry foods often but rarely deep fry, it wastes too much oil. For
> deep frying the oil used typically costs much more than the food
> fried... it greatly ofends my sensibility to use $5 worth of oil to
> deep fry $2 worth of potatoes.

Exactly! Although you CAN reuse the frying oil. We did at Danny Donuts, and our donut fryer had a built in filter unit too! At the end of the frying day I'd drain all the still liquid fry fat into the bottom tank, then pump it back up with an electric pump through a filter in the bottom tank. Then I'd throw the paper filter away like a large coffee filter!

And the fryer held about 150-200lbs of fat, which came in 50lb cubes, and I would add a cube or two during a day's donut frying.

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Baker From Way Back
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 12:08:47 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 10:59:54 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:
> > I fry foods often but rarely deep fry, it wastes too much oil. For
> > deep frying the oil used typically costs much more than the food
> > fried... it greatly ofends my sensibility to use $5 worth of oil to
> > deep fry $2 worth of potatoes.

> Exactly! Although you CAN reuse the frying oil. We did at Danny Donuts, and our donut fryer had a built in filter unit too! At the end of the frying day I'd drain all the still liquid fry fat into the bottom tank, then pump it back up with an electric pump through a filter in the bottom tank. Then I'd throw the paper filter away like a large coffee filter!
>
> And the fryer held about 150-200lbs of fat, which came in 50lb cubes, and I would add a cube or two during a day's donut frying.
>
> John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Baker From Way Back

You're lucky. I had to lift out the whole fryer complete with oil, and pour through a filter. A tad scary, you didn't want to spill any on yourself. But it didn't have 150 lbs. of fat, It was a regular restaurant fryer. Whatever that is.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 03:01:52 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 10:09:58 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 02:30:59 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
>> > wrote:

>> >I dont deep fry either.

>> Why is everybody here so afraid of deep-frying but y'all eat any crap
>> the food industry puts in your pie hole.

>I'm not afraid of deep-frying. I don't want to become skilled at it and
>I hate the way the house smells afterward. I'll eat my deep-fried food
>in a restaurant, where they practice all day, every day.

It's not that hard. You probably do harder things when you cook. But
yeah, there is the smell afterwards.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 09:08:42 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 10:59:54 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:
>> I fry foods often but rarely deep fry, it wastes too much oil. For
>> deep frying the oil used typically costs much more than the food
>> fried... it greatly ofends my sensibility to use $5 worth of oil to
>> deep fry $2 worth of potatoes.

>Exactly! Although you CAN reuse the frying oil.

A breakthrough moment in the evolution of man!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 03:00:12 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 9:31:06 PM UTC-5, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>
>>I dont think
>> Ill ever use canola again, thats for sure. That crap tastes horrid and
>> ruins everything thats cooked in it. I never used to be able to taste it,
>> so Im not sure how that changed.

>I'm the same way with canola. When it first came out, I used it all the
>time. Then it started smelling and tasting fishy when it was heated.
>I don't know if I've changed or if the oil has.
>
>I've got part of a bottle left that I use to lube the grates on my grill;
>it polymerizes almost instantly and doesn't impart a taste to the food.

Ok, you're only allowed to state the obvious once more this month!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce whined like a little bitch on 11/13/2019 :
> Ok, you're only allowed to state the obvious once more this month!

It's obvious that try as you may, you're
not the moderator here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 12:32:05 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 03:01:52 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 10:09:58 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 02:30:59 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx

> >> Why is everybody here so afraid of deep-frying but y'all eat any crap
> >> the food industry puts in your pie hole.

> >I'm not afraid of deep-frying. I don't want to become skilled at it and
> >I hate the way the house smells afterward. I'll eat my deep-fried food
> >in a restaurant, where they practice all day, every day.

> It's not that hard. You probably do harder things when you cook. But
> yeah, there is the smell afterwards.

I know it's not hard. I also know there's a knack to it. If I had
the knack, I'd be tempted to eat much more fried food than is good
for me.

I enjoy eating in restaurants; I'll let them deep fry for me.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jinx the Minx wrote:

> I don't think I'll ever use canola again, that's for sure.
> That crap tastes horrid and ruins everything that's cooked
> in it.

Again I say, "lol This group just gets weirder all the time."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 12:50:34 -0500, Casa de Masa >
wrote:

>Bruce whined like a little bitch on 11/13/2019 :
>> Ok, you're only allowed to state the obvious once more this month!
>>

>It's obvious that try as you may, you're
>not the moderator here.

Is there a better candidate?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 13:11:12 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Jinx the Minx wrote:
>>
>> I don't think I'll ever use canola again, that's for sure.
>> That crap tastes horrid and ruins everything that's cooked
>> in it.

>Again I say, "lol This group just gets weirder all the time."

What was weird about that? It was even on topic!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce was thinking very hard :
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 12:50:34 -0500, Casa de Masa >
> wrote:
>
>> Bruce whined like a little bitch on 11/13/2019 :
>>> Ok, you're only allowed to state the obvious once more this month!
>>>

>> It's obvious that try as you may, you're
>> not the moderator here.

> Is there a better candidate?

Moderated Usenet sucks, so you may
be good at it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 9:31:06 PM UTC-5, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>
>> I dont think
>> Ill ever use canola again, thats for sure. That crap tastes horrid and
>> ruins everything thats cooked in it. I never used to be able to taste it,
>> so Im not sure how that changed.

> I'm the same way with canola. When it first came out, I used it all the
> time. Then it started smelling and tasting fishy when it was heated.
> I don't know if I've changed or if the oil has.
>
> I've got part of a bottle left that I use to lube the grates on my grill;
> it polymerizes almost instantly and doesn't impart a taste to the food.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I assumed the change was me, but Im glad Im not the only one that finds
it fishy. At first I thought I got a bad bottle, but the next one also
smelled fishy, and so did other brands purchased in other states. Then I
knew it was me, not the oil. Thank goodness there are other choices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 18:40:20 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>> On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 9:31:06 PM UTC-5, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>>
>>> I dont think
>>> Ill ever use canola again, thats for sure. That crap tastes horrid and
>>> ruins everything thats cooked in it. I never used to be able to taste it,
>>> so Im not sure how that changed.

>> I'm the same way with canola. When it first came out, I used it all the
>> time. Then it started smelling and tasting fishy when it was heated.
>> I don't know if I've changed or if the oil has.
>>
>> I've got part of a bottle left that I use to lube the grates on my grill;
>> it polymerizes almost instantly and doesn't impart a taste to the food.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>I assumed the change was me, but Im glad Im not the only one that finds
>it fishy. At first I thought I got a bad bottle, but the next one also
>smelled fishy, and so did other brands purchased in other states. Then I
>knew it was me, not the oil. Thank goodness there are other choices.

Maybe you could smell the genetic modification.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote:
> Jinx the Minx wrote:
>>
>> I don't think I'll ever use canola again, that's for sure.
>> That crap tastes horrid and ruins everything that's cooked
>> in it.

> Again I say, "lol This group just gets weirder all the time."

It tastes fishy to me. Nothing I can do about that. But whoop dee doo.
Lots of other oil choices out there. When I want a canola-like oil, Ill
use plain old Crisco. When I dont want my hash browns to taste like fish,
Ill stick with algae oil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 1:10:52 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Jinx the Minx wrote:
> >
> > I don't think I'll ever use canola again, that's for sure.
> > That crap tastes horrid and ruins everything that's cooked
> > in it.

> Again I say, "lol This group just gets weirder all the time."

It's a common reaction:

<https://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2011/01/heated-canola-oil-tastes-fishy.html>

Apparently not every tastes it. Everybody's sensory apparatus is different.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 1:32:25 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 13:11:12 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Jinx the Minx wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't think I'll ever use canola again, that's for sure.
> >> That crap tastes horrid and ruins everything that's cooked
> >> in it.

> >Again I say, "lol This group just gets weirder all the time."

> What was weird about that? It was even on topic!

Gary believes that if he can't taste something, nobody else can, either.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I fry spam and make popcorn using crisco shortening, it claims to have no transfat now,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 09:54:47 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 12:32:05 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 03:01:52 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >I'm not afraid of deep-frying. I don't want to become skilled at it and
>> >I hate the way the house smells afterward. I'll eat my deep-fried food
>> >in a restaurant, where they practice all day, every day.

>> It's not that hard. You probably do harder things when you cook. But
>> yeah, there is the smell afterwards.

>I know it's not hard. I also know there's a knack to it. If I had
>the knack, I'd be tempted to eat much more fried food than is good
>for me.
>
>I enjoy eating in restaurants; I'll let them deep fry for me.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

That exactly what the crew aboard ship thought, they didn't care how
many gallons of oil was deep sixed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 09:08:42 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 10:59:54 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:
>>> I fry foods often but rarely deep fry, it wastes too much oil. For
>>> deep frying the oil used typically costs much more than the food
>>> fried... it greatly ofends my sensibility to use $5 worth of oil to
>>> deep fry $2 worth of potatoes.

>> Exactly! Although you CAN reuse the frying oil.

> A breakthrough moment in the evolution of man!

Tell him you can reuse it for at least 100 years and point him to this link:

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/44635
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> So if you'd deep-fry potatoes, you'd throw out the oil afterwards?

That would be a serious waste of oil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 11:06:13 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> So if you'd deep-fry potatoes, you'd throw out the oil afterwards?

>That would be a serious waste of oil.

Yes, but if he only deep fries once a year, maybe there's no
alternative. Except not deep frying.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 1:39:29 PM UTC-10, Alex wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 09:08:42 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> > > wrote:

> >> Exactly! Although you CAN reuse the frying oil.

> > A breakthrough moment in the evolution of man!

> Tell him you can reuse it for at least 100 years and point him to this link:
>
> https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/44635

Those cheap *******s!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dyer's Hamburgers (WAS: Healthy and not so healthy fats for deepfrying)

On 11/14/2019 9:35 PM, wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 1:39:29 PM UTC-10, Alex wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:
>>> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 09:08:42 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe

>>> A breakthrough moment in the evolution of man!

>> Tell him you can reuse it for at least 100 years and point him to this link:

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/44635

> Those cheap *******s!

Sock puppet much? I'm pretty sure I'm the only person on this ng (Terry
Coombs may be an exception) who has ever *tasted* a Dyer's Hamburger. A
Memphis tradition. The 100 year old grease is a marketing gimmick.
They do strain it and reuse it. *Allegedly* some of the original oil
from the original tiny mid-town Memphis restaurant is still in there. I
sincerely doubt it but it got a police escort when they were moving it
first to a new location in Germantown, then eventually down to Beale Street.

The real secret to the burgers is to use very lean ground beef (ground
round; anything with more fat content will fall apart in the hot oil).
The meat is formed into meatballs and chilled. When an order comes up,
they are pounded flat and slipped into the hot grease. They float
immediately to the top, are removed with a slotted strainer, drained and
placed on a toasted (on a griddle) hamburger bun. Dyer's Hamburgers are
delicious!

Jill