Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The cost of convenience

I was in BJ's the other day and one of the item they were sampling was
Jimmy Dean precooked sausage links. I like JD sausage and have it once
or twice a week. The sample tasted just as good as what I make from the
chub package. I wonder what the price is?

So I had over to the case as one of the things I was picking up was JD
sausage. Of course, I looked at the price per pound. OMG! The
precooked came out to $23 per pounds as compared to the DIY at $3.

Needless to say, I will continue to cook my own. To be fair, the cooked
would have had a little loss from fat rendering but would still be
exorbitant.

What I do is fry up a full pan of patties cut from the chub. I partially
freeze it to make cutting easier. A few on the plate, the rest in a
container for future meals. They heat up in 20 0r 30 seconds in the
microwave.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 1:51:34 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I was in BJ's the other day and one of the item they were sampling was
> Jimmy Dean precooked sausage links. I like JD sausage and have it once
> or twice a week. The sample tasted just as good as what I make from the
> chub package. I wonder what the price is?
>
> So I had over to the case as one of the things I was picking up was JD
> sausage. Of course, I looked at the price per pound. OMG! The
> precooked came out to $23 per pounds as compared to the DIY at $3.

To me, Jimmy Dean is one of the worst tasting breakfast sausages to be had.
But you like it, and that's great.

> Needless to say, I will continue to cook my own.
>
> What I do is fry up a full pan of patties cut from the chub. I partially
> freeze it to make cutting easier. A few on the plate, the rest in a
> container for future meals. They heat up in 20 0r 30 seconds in the
> microwave.

Same here. Cook the full pound and store the rest in the 'frig in a covered
bowl. Ready to eat with whatever I decide breakfast will be that day. No
need in slicing and frying everyday and cleaning up a mess when you only have
one mess to clean up when the full pound is cooked.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 2:51:34 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> What I do is fry up a full pan of patties cut from the chub. I partially
> freeze it to make cutting easier. A few on the plate, the rest in a
> container for future meals. They heat up in 20 0r 30 seconds in the
> microwave.

We patty it and freeze it raw. It can be cooked without defrosting.
Always in a pan; never in the microwave.

Just a slightly different technique. Not trying to pick a fight.

Cindy Hamiton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 12:15:51 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 1:51:34 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> I was in BJ's the other day and one of the item they were sampling was
>> Jimmy Dean precooked sausage links. I like JD sausage and have it once
>> or twice a week. The sample tasted just as good as what I make from the
>> chub package. I wonder what the price is?
>>
>> So I had over to the case as one of the things I was picking up was JD
>> sausage. Of course, I looked at the price per pound. OMG! The
>> precooked came out to $23 per pounds as compared to the DIY at $3.
>>

>To me, Jimmy Dean is one of the worst tasting breakfast sausages to be had.
>But you like it, and that's great.

It's also surprising.

"Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowls, Sausage

PRECOOKED SCRAMBLED EGGS (WHOLE EGGS, SKIM MILK, SOYBEAN OIL, MODIFIED
CORN STARCH, XANTHAN GUM, LIQUID PEPPER EXTRACT, SALT, CITRIC ACID,
BUTTER FLAVOR [BUTTER {CREAM, MILK}, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN
AND COTTONSEED OIL, SOYBEAN OIL, LIPOLYZED BUTTER OIL, NATURAL AND
ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS]), DICED POTATOES (POTATOES, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED
VEGETABLE OIL [SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OILS], AND/OR VEGETABLE OIL
[CANOLA, SOYBEAN AND/OR SUNFLOWER OILS], MALTODEXTRIN, SALT, DEXTROSE,
TETRASODIUM PYROPHOSPHATE AND DISODIUM DIHYDROGEN PYROPHOSPHATE [TO
MAINTAIN NATURAL COLOR]),COOKED PORK SAUSAGE CRUMBLES (PORK, WATER,
CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, SUGAR, SPICES, NATURAL FLAVOR (WITH
MALTODEXTRIN, SUCCINIC ACID), SODIUM PHOSPHATE, CARAMEL
COLOR).SHREDDED MILD CHEDDAR CHEESE (PASTEURIZED MILK, CHEESE CULTURE,
SALT, ENZYMES, ANNATTO COLOR), WATER."

Eeeeeeewwwwwwww. "TO MAINTAIN NATURAL COLOR" YOHO!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 3:39:00 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 12:15:51 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 1:51:34 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >>
> >> I was in BJ's the other day and one of the item they were sampling was
> >> Jimmy Dean precooked sausage links. I like JD sausage and have it once
> >> or twice a week. The sample tasted just as good as what I make from the
> >> chub package. I wonder what the price is?
> >>
> >> So I had over to the case as one of the things I was picking up was JD
> >> sausage. Of course, I looked at the price per pound. OMG! The
> >> precooked came out to $23 per pounds as compared to the DIY at $3.
> >>

> >To me, Jimmy Dean is one of the worst tasting breakfast sausages to be had.
> >But you like it, and that's great.

> It's also surprising.
>
> "Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowls, Sausage
>
> PRECOOKED SCRAMBLED EGGS (WHOLE EGGS, SKIM MILK, SOYBEAN OIL, MODIFIED
> CORN STARCH, XANTHAN GUM, LIQUID PEPPER EXTRACT, SALT, CITRIC ACID,
> BUTTER FLAVOR [BUTTER {CREAM, MILK}, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN
> AND COTTONSEED OIL, SOYBEAN OIL, LIPOLYZED BUTTER OIL, NATURAL AND
> ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS]), DICED POTATOES (POTATOES, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED
> VEGETABLE OIL [SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OILS], AND/OR VEGETABLE OIL
> [CANOLA, SOYBEAN AND/OR SUNFLOWER OILS], MALTODEXTRIN, SALT, DEXTROSE,
> TETRASODIUM PYROPHOSPHATE AND DISODIUM DIHYDROGEN PYROPHOSPHATE [TO
> MAINTAIN NATURAL COLOR]),COOKED PORK SAUSAGE CRUMBLES (PORK, WATER,
> CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, SUGAR, SPICES, NATURAL FLAVOR (WITH
> MALTODEXTRIN, SUCCINIC ACID), SODIUM PHOSPHATE, CARAMEL
> COLOR).SHREDDED MILD CHEDDAR CHEESE (PASTEURIZED MILK, CHEESE CULTURE,
> SALT, ENZYMES, ANNATTO COLOR), WATER."
>
> Eeeeeeewwwwwwww. "TO MAINTAIN NATURAL COLOR" YOHO!

That's not the stuff we're talking about. It's almost as if you're trying
to come up with the worst possible outcome. I would appreciate some
intellectual honesty from you.

Here's what we're talking about:

pork, water, contains 2% or less of the following: corn syrup, salt, spices, sugar, monosodium glutamate, flavorings.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 12:59:19 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 3:39:00 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 12:15:51 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:

>> >To me, Jimmy Dean is one of the worst tasting breakfast sausages to be had.
>> >But you like it, and that's great.

>> It's also surprising.
>>
>> "Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowls, Sausage
>>
>> PRECOOKED SCRAMBLED EGGS (WHOLE EGGS, SKIM MILK, SOYBEAN OIL, MODIFIED
>> CORN STARCH, XANTHAN GUM, LIQUID PEPPER EXTRACT, SALT, CITRIC ACID,
>> BUTTER FLAVOR [BUTTER {CREAM, MILK}, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN
>> AND COTTONSEED OIL, SOYBEAN OIL, LIPOLYZED BUTTER OIL, NATURAL AND
>> ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS]), DICED POTATOES (POTATOES, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED
>> VEGETABLE OIL [SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OILS], AND/OR VEGETABLE OIL
>> [CANOLA, SOYBEAN AND/OR SUNFLOWER OILS], MALTODEXTRIN, SALT, DEXTROSE,
>> TETRASODIUM PYROPHOSPHATE AND DISODIUM DIHYDROGEN PYROPHOSPHATE [TO
>> MAINTAIN NATURAL COLOR]),COOKED PORK SAUSAGE CRUMBLES (PORK, WATER,
>> CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, SUGAR, SPICES, NATURAL FLAVOR (WITH
>> MALTODEXTRIN, SUCCINIC ACID), SODIUM PHOSPHATE, CARAMEL
>> COLOR).SHREDDED MILD CHEDDAR CHEESE (PASTEURIZED MILK, CHEESE CULTURE,
>> SALT, ENZYMES, ANNATTO COLOR), WATER."
>>
>> Eeeeeeewwwwwwww. "TO MAINTAIN NATURAL COLOR" YOHO!

>That's not the stuff we're talking about. It's almost as if you're trying
>to come up with the worst possible outcome. I would appreciate some
>intellectual honesty from you.
>
>Here's what we're talking about:
>
>pork, water, contains 2% or less of the following: corn syrup, salt, spices, sugar, monosodium glutamate, flavorings.

I went with the first JD breakfast sausage that I found. No dishonesty
involved.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2019 3:03 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 12:59:19 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 3:39:00 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 12:15:51 -0800 (PST), "

>>> It's also surprising.
>>>
>>> "Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowls, Sausage
>>>
>>> PRECOOKED SCRAMBLED EGGS (WHOLE EGGS, SKIM MILK, SOYBEAN OIL, MODIFIED
>>> CORN STARCH, XANTHAN GUM, LIQUID PEPPER EXTRACT, SALT, CITRIC ACID,
>>> BUTTER FLAVOR [BUTTER {CREAM, MILK}, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN
>>> AND COTTONSEED OIL, SOYBEAN OIL, LIPOLYZED BUTTER OIL, NATURAL AND
>>> ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS]), DICED POTATOES (POTATOES, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED
>>> VEGETABLE OIL [SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OILS], AND/OR VEGETABLE OIL
>>> [CANOLA, SOYBEAN AND/OR SUNFLOWER OILS], MALTODEXTRIN, SALT, DEXTROSE,
>>> TETRASODIUM PYROPHOSPHATE AND DISODIUM DIHYDROGEN PYROPHOSPHATE [TO
>>> MAINTAIN NATURAL COLOR]),COOKED PORK SAUSAGE CRUMBLES (PORK, WATER,
>>> CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, SUGAR, SPICES, NATURAL FLAVOR (WITH
>>> MALTODEXTRIN, SUCCINIC ACID), SODIUM PHOSPHATE, CARAMEL
>>> COLOR).SHREDDED MILD CHEDDAR CHEESE (PASTEURIZED MILK, CHEESE CULTURE,
>>> SALT, ENZYMES, ANNATTO COLOR), WATER."
>>>
>>> Eeeeeeewwwwwwww. "TO MAINTAIN NATURAL COLOR" YOHO!

>> That's not the stuff we're talking about. It's almost as if you're trying
>> to come up with the worst possible outcome. I would appreciate some
>> intellectual honesty from you.
>>
>> Here's what we're talking about:
>>
>> pork, water, contains 2% or less of the following: corn syrup, salt, spices, sugar, monosodium glutamate, flavorings.

> I went with the first JD breakfast sausage that I found. No dishonesty
> involved.

Â* That's bullshit and we all know it . You looked for the JD product
with the most unpronounceable ingredients , just like always .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 11/10/2019 3:03 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 12:59:19 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> That's not the stuff we're talking about.* It's almost as if
>>> you're trying
>>> to come up with the worst possible outcome.* I would appreciate some
>>> intellectual honesty from you.
>>>
>>> Here's what we're talking about:
>>>
>>> pork, water, contains 2% or less of the following: corn syrup,
>>> salt, spices, sugar, monosodium glutamate, flavorings.

>> I went with the first JD breakfast sausage that I found. No
>> dishonesty
>> involved.

> Â* That's bullshit and we all know it . You looked for the JD
> product with the most unpronounceable ingredients , just like always .

Hahah. Folks are catching on to his bullshit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 16:16:02 -0600, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 11/10/2019 3:03 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 12:59:19 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> That's not the stuff we're talking about. It's almost as if you're trying
>>> to come up with the worst possible outcome. I would appreciate some
>>> intellectual honesty from you.
>>>
>>> Here's what we're talking about:
>>>
>>> pork, water, contains 2% or less of the following: corn syrup, salt, spices, sugar, monosodium glutamate, flavorings.

>> I went with the first JD breakfast sausage that I found. No dishonesty
>> involved.

> Â* That's bullshit and we all know it . You looked for the JD product
>with the most unpronounceable ingredients , just like always .

I'm not lying. I went to www.fooducate.com, searched for "Jimmy Dean
breakfast sausage" and picked the first one. Check for yourself.
Apologising is optional.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 12:27:02 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> I'm not lying. I went to www.fooducate.com, searched for "Jimmy Dean
> breakfast sausage" and picked the first one. Check for yourself.
> Apologising is optional.

That's not really a Jimmy Dean sausage. It's some kind of food bowl with sausage,eggs, potato, and some kind of cheese substance. I'd eat it if I was hungry enough. Last night I was hungry so I looked in the freezer and saw a bowl of convenience but the frost on the plastic film covering it was obscuring the contents. The only thing I could make out was a single bean. I didn't eat it - guess I wasn't hungry enough. Perhaps one day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 14:44:19 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 12:27:02 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> I'm not lying. I went to www.fooducate.com, searched for "Jimmy Dean
>> breakfast sausage" and picked the first one. Check for yourself.
>> Apologising is optional.

>That's not really a Jimmy Dean sausage. It's some kind of food bowl with sausage,eggs, potato, and some kind of cheese substance. I'd eat it if I was hungry enough. Last night I was hungry so I looked in the freezer and saw a bowl of convenience but the frost on the plastic film covering it was obscuring the contents. The only thing I could make out was a single bean. I didn't eat it - guess I wasn't hungry enough. Perhaps one day.

That could be. It said "Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowls, Sausage" and I
copied that above the ingredient list. No dishonesty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 3:03:22 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 12:59:19 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >> "Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowls, Sausage
> >>
> >> PRECOOKED SCRAMBLED EGGS (WHOLE EGGS, SKIM MILK, SOYBEAN OIL, MODIFIED
> >> CORN STARCH, XANTHAN GUM, LIQUID PEPPER EXTRACT, SALT, CITRIC ACID,
> >> BUTTER FLAVOR [BUTTER {CREAM, MILK}, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN
> >> AND COTTONSEED OIL, SOYBEAN OIL, LIPOLYZED BUTTER OIL, NATURAL AND
> >> ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS]), DICED POTATOES (POTATOES, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED
> >> VEGETABLE OIL [SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OILS], AND/OR VEGETABLE OIL
> >> [CANOLA, SOYBEAN AND/OR SUNFLOWER OILS], MALTODEXTRIN, SALT, DEXTROSE,
> >> TETRASODIUM PYROPHOSPHATE AND DISODIUM DIHYDROGEN PYROPHOSPHATE [TO
> >> MAINTAIN NATURAL COLOR]),COOKED PORK SAUSAGE CRUMBLES (PORK, WATER,
> >> CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, SUGAR, SPICES, NATURAL FLAVOR (WITH
> >> MALTODEXTRIN, SUCCINIC ACID), SODIUM PHOSPHATE, CARAMEL
> >> COLOR).SHREDDED MILD CHEDDAR CHEESE (PASTEURIZED MILK, CHEESE CULTURE,
> >> SALT, ENZYMES, ANNATTO COLOR), WATER."
> >>
> >> Eeeeeeewwwwwwww. "TO MAINTAIN NATURAL COLOR" YOHO!

> >That's not the stuff we're talking about. It's almost as if you're trying
> >to come up with the worst possible outcome. I would appreciate some
> >intellectual honesty from you.
> >
> >Here's what we're talking about:
> >
> >pork, water, contains 2% or less of the following: corn syrup, salt, spices, sugar, monosodium glutamate, flavorings.

> I went with the first JD breakfast sausage that I found. No dishonesty
> involved.

Dang, I thought you had tripped and hit your head. When I read 'scrambled
eggs' I didn't know what to think. We were talking about s a u s a g e.
Good grief. I make my own 'sausage bowls' at home and they're a lot better
than any 'convenience' breakfast I want to buy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 17:45:00 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 3:03:22 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> >Here's what we're talking about:
>> >
>> >pork, water, contains 2% or less of the following: corn syrup, salt, spices, sugar, monosodium glutamate, flavorings.

>> I went with the first JD breakfast sausage that I found. No dishonesty
>> involved.
>>

>Dang, I thought you had tripped and hit your head. When I read 'scrambled
>eggs' I didn't know what to think. We were talking about s a u s a g e.
>Good grief. I make my own 'sausage bowls' at home and they're a lot better
>than any 'convenience' breakfast I want to buy.

I believe that right away.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 12:27:02 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> I'm not lying. I went to www.fooducate.com, searched for "Jimmy Dean
> breakfast sausage" and picked the first one. Check for yourself.
> Apologising is optional.

That's not really a Jimmy Dean sausage. It's some kind of food bowl with
sausage,eggs, potato, and some kind of cheese substance. I'd eat it if I was
hungry enough. Last night I was hungry so I looked in the freezer and saw a
bowl of convenience but the frost on the plastic film covering it was
obscuring the contents. The only thing I could make out was a single bean. I
didn't eat it - guess I wasn't hungry enough. Perhaps one day.

===

lol perhaps you were not as hungry as you though

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 4:03:22 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 12:59:19 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 3:39:00 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 12:15:51 -0800 (PST), "

> >> It's also surprising.
> >>
> >> "Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowls, Sausage
> >>
> >> PRECOOKED SCRAMBLED EGGS (WHOLE EGGS, SKIM MILK, SOYBEAN OIL, MODIFIED
> >> CORN STARCH, XANTHAN GUM, LIQUID PEPPER EXTRACT, SALT, CITRIC ACID,
> >> BUTTER FLAVOR [BUTTER {CREAM, MILK}, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN
> >> AND COTTONSEED OIL, SOYBEAN OIL, LIPOLYZED BUTTER OIL, NATURAL AND
> >> ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS]), DICED POTATOES (POTATOES, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED
> >> VEGETABLE OIL [SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OILS], AND/OR VEGETABLE OIL
> >> [CANOLA, SOYBEAN AND/OR SUNFLOWER OILS], MALTODEXTRIN, SALT, DEXTROSE,
> >> TETRASODIUM PYROPHOSPHATE AND DISODIUM DIHYDROGEN PYROPHOSPHATE [TO
> >> MAINTAIN NATURAL COLOR]),COOKED PORK SAUSAGE CRUMBLES (PORK, WATER,
> >> CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, SUGAR, SPICES, NATURAL FLAVOR (WITH
> >> MALTODEXTRIN, SUCCINIC ACID), SODIUM PHOSPHATE, CARAMEL
> >> COLOR).SHREDDED MILD CHEDDAR CHEESE (PASTEURIZED MILK, CHEESE CULTURE,
> >> SALT, ENZYMES, ANNATTO COLOR), WATER."
> >>
> >> Eeeeeeewwwwwwww. "TO MAINTAIN NATURAL COLOR" YOHO!

> >That's not the stuff we're talking about. It's almost as if you're trying
> >to come up with the worst possible outcome. I would appreciate some
> >intellectual honesty from you.
> >
> >Here's what we're talking about:
> >
> >pork, water, contains 2% or less of the following: corn syrup, salt, spices, sugar, monosodium glutamate, flavorings.

> I went with the first JD breakfast sausage that I found. No dishonesty
> involved.

Then you weren't paying attention. That wasn't sausage, that was an
entire ready-made breakfast. Eggs were the first ingredient, for Christ's
sake.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-10, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> precooked came out to $23 per pounds as compared to the DIY at $3.

Same with those "off-the-shelf" spices, from yer gocer (McCormack,
Spice Island, etc). I've seen ground sage going fer up to $35usd per
oz.

Grnd sage is less than a $1usd per oz (bulk) at my local health food
store.

I've been trying the JD Biscuit Roll-Ups. Not much meat, but the
biscuit part is tasty, specially w/ Sriracha Sauce. They also been
pushing JD, fer Christmas, on streaming (Roku), lately, even though he
died almost 10 yrs ago.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/19 8:35 AM, notbob wrote:
> I've been trying the JD Biscuit Roll-Ups. Not much meat, but the
> biscuit part is tasty, specially w/ Sriracha Sauce. They also been
> pushing JD, fer Christmas, on streaming (Roku), lately, even though he
> died almost 10 yrs ago.
>
> nb

The sausage died long before he did.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 10:35:33 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> On 2019-11-10, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> > precooked came out to $23 per pounds as compared to the DIY at $3.

> Same with those "off-the-shelf" spices, from yer gocer (McCormack,
> Spice Island, etc). I've seen ground sage going fer up to $35usd per
> oz.
>
> Grnd sage is less than a $1usd per oz (bulk) at my local health food
> store.
>
> I've been trying the JD Biscuit Roll-Ups. Not much meat, but the
> biscuit part is tasty, specially w/ Sriracha Sauce.

Anything is tasty with sriracha. Toward the end of my participation
in the Society for Creative Anachronism we used to take sriracha to
medieval feasts. Anything that wasn't very good got a liberal squirt
of sriracha. Authentic? No. But most of the cooks were on a tight
budget and rarely cooked for 100-200 people, so results were quite
variable.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2019-11-10, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> > precooked came out to $23 per pounds as compared to the DIY at $3.

> Same with those "off-the-shelf" spices, from yer gocer (McCormack,
> Spice Island, etc). I've seen ground sage going fer up to $35usd per
> oz.

Look more at the grocery store McCormack spices. Many sell for
up to $100 per pound. No wonder in the old days, ships went
to China for spices. Worth more than gold back then.

> Grnd sage is less than a $1usd per oz (bulk) at my local health food
> store.

Yep. Way cheaper and fresher too. I buy all my dry herbs and
spice
at my local (only 1/3 mile away) health food store. Also bulk
grains. All are fresh and organic too. Good deal.

I recently discovered that I've run out of basil which I use
often. Will be making another trip soon for that and also any
others that I'm low on.

Last time I went, I bought about 2 dozen large bay leaves (along
with many others). The bag was so light that when I got home, I
noticed that the price was $0.00. lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Look more at the grocery store McCormack spices. Many sell for
> up to $100 per pound. No wonder in the old days, ships went
> to China for spices. Worth more than gold back then.

Correction: sell for up to $100 per OUNCE, not per pound.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-11, jay > wrote:

> On 11/11/19 8:35 AM, notbob wrote:

>> died almost 10 yrs ago.

> The sausage died long before he did.

LOL......! True.

About the same time McD's sausage did. They took the spices out. Less
overhead w/ no spices. Nothing's changed. Ppl have become used to
the lack of flavor.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> >
> > Look more at the grocery store McCormack spices. Many sell for
> > up to $100 per pound. No wonder in the old days, ships went
> > to China for spices. Worth more than gold back then.

> Correction: sell for up to $100 per OUNCE, not per pound.

Thats why many of the locals here have been using savory spice shop.
We used to use Penzey's until the owner abused our trust by using our
email addresses to spam us with political views (no relation to spices).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/19 10:13 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2019-11-11, jay > wrote:
>
>> On 11/11/19 8:35 AM, notbob wrote:

>>> died almost 10 yrs ago.

>> The sausage died long before he did.

> LOL......! True.
>
> About the same time McD's sausage did. They took the spices out. Less
> overhead w/ no spices. Nothing's changed. Ppl have become used to
> the lack of flavor.
>
> nb

There are so many nasty commercial sausage products. I particularly
detest the ones that have that bologna like texture i.e. those hosed
from the huge slurry vat.

I can attest that getting the seasoning correct in relation to the batch
size is tricky for DIY folks. BTDT ruined a good amount of nice meats
trying.

Best bet it seems is the small town meat market. I know of a couple
makers that are remarkable .. at least according to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-11, jay > wrote:

> There are so many nasty commercial sausage products. I particularly
> detest the ones that have that bologna like texture i.e. those hosed
> from the huge slurry vat.

Don't judge a sausage by its texture!

I once found a local maker (Oakland, CA) that made "bologna like (sic)
texture" hot-links that looked like "foot-long hot dogs", but were
some of the best hot-links I've ever paid good $$ fer. This was back
in the 80's.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/19 11:03 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2019-11-11, jay > wrote:
>
>> There are so many nasty commercial sausage products. I particularly
>> detest the ones that have that bologna like texture i.e. those hosed
>> from the huge slurry vat.

> Don't judge a sausage by its texture!
>
> I once found a local maker (Oakland, CA) that made "bologna like (sic)
> texture" hot-links that looked like "foot-long hot dogs", but were
> some of the best hot-links I've ever paid good $$ fer. This was back
> in the 80's.
>
> nb

Texture is just step one .. has to pass the bounce test for me. Many
large commercial producers also tend to over salt. I wont even start in
on those Trojan style casings many of them use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 02:43:46 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 4:03:22 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 12:59:19 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >That's not the stuff we're talking about. It's almost as if you're trying
>> >to come up with the worst possible outcome. I would appreciate some
>> >intellectual honesty from you.
>> >
>> >Here's what we're talking about:
>> >
>> >pork, water, contains 2% or less of the following: corn syrup, salt, spices, sugar, monosodium glutamate, flavorings.

>> I went with the first JD breakfast sausage that I found. No dishonesty
>> involved.

>Then you weren't paying attention. That wasn't sausage, that was an
>entire ready-made breakfast. Eggs were the first ingredient, for Christ's
>sake.

I'm not familiar with "Breakfast Bowls". I saw breakfast and sausage
and Jimmy Dean and that was enough.

Remember that my posting of ingredient lists is a voluntary community
service, not a paid activity.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 11:36:28 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Last time I went, I bought about 2 dozen large bay leaves (along
>with many others). The bag was so light that when I got home, I
>noticed that the price was $0.00. lol

I bet you've developed a basil habit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 8:35:50 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> I'm not familiar with "Breakfast Bowls". I saw breakfast and sausage
> and Jimmy Dean and that was enough.
>
> Remember that my posting of ingredient lists is a voluntary community
> service, not a paid activity.

You get to bait the bull, that's payment enough!

Jimmy Dean was a famous American singer, entertainer, and sausage king. You might know him from famous movies such as "Diamonds Are Forever" and... and... you know... others!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 12:35:50 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> I'm not familiar with "Breakfast Bowls".

You can buy them at many fast food joints, the grocery store, or make your
own. They usually consist of eggs, potatoes, cheese, and bacon or sausage.
They're convenient as normally all is required to eat them is a fork. Sorta,
kinda, maybe like a breakfast burrito but in a bowl.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 12:19:53 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 12:35:50 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> I'm not familiar with "Breakfast Bowls".
>>

>You can buy them at many fast food joints, the grocery store, or make your
>own. They usually consist of eggs, potatoes, cheese, and bacon or sausage.
>They're convenient as normally all is required to eat them is a fork. Sorta,
>kinda, maybe like a breakfast burrito but in a bowl.

A bit like an English breakfast in a bowl then.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 2:34:08 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 12:19:53 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 12:35:50 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm not familiar with "Breakfast Bowls".
> >>

> >You can buy them at many fast food joints, the grocery store, or make your
> >own. They usually consist of eggs, potatoes, cheese, and bacon or sausage.
> >They're convenient as normally all is required to eat them is a fork. Sorta,
> >kinda, maybe like a breakfast burrito but in a bowl.

> A bit like an English breakfast in a bowl then.

I've not seen or heard of those. I'll have to go do a search.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19:19 11 Nov 2019, dsi1 > wrote:

> On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 8:35:50 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> I'm not familiar with "Breakfast Bowls". I saw breakfast and sausage
>> and Jimmy Dean and that was enough.
>>
>> Remember that my posting of ingredient lists is a voluntary community
>> service, not a paid activity.

> You get to bait the bull, that's payment enough!
>
> Jimmy Dean was a famous American singer, entertainer, and sausage king.
> You might know him from famous movies such as "Diamonds Are Forever"
> and... and... you know... others!
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY

Sean Connery was always a great James Bond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 22:23:34 GMT, pamela >
wrote:

>On 19:19 11 Nov 2019, dsi1 > wrote:
>
>> On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 8:35:50 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not familiar with "Breakfast Bowls". I saw breakfast and sausage
>>> and Jimmy Dean and that was enough.
>>>
>>> Remember that my posting of ingredient lists is a voluntary community
>>> service, not a paid activity.

>> You get to bait the bull, that's payment enough!
>>
>> Jimmy Dean was a famous American singer, entertainer, and sausage king.
>> You might know him from famous movies such as "Diamonds Are Forever"
>> and... and... you know... others!
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY

>Sean Connery was always a great James Bond.

I wonder if he slapped the female actresses around, being a real man
and all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 12:23:39 PM UTC-10, pamela wrote:
> On 19:19 11 Nov 2019, dsi1 > wrote:
>
> > On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 8:35:50 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm not familiar with "Breakfast Bowls". I saw breakfast and sausage
> >> and Jimmy Dean and that was enough.
> >>
> >> Remember that my posting of ingredient lists is a voluntary community
> >> service, not a paid activity.

> > You get to bait the bull, that's payment enough!
> >
> > Jimmy Dean was a famous American singer, entertainer, and sausage king.
> > You might know him from famous movies such as "Diamonds Are Forever"
> > and... and... you know... others!
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY

> Sean Connery was always a great James Bond.

In his last film, he was pretty much past his prime for the role. I liked the Australian model and used car salesman George Lazenby - he walked smoother than the other bonds. His Bond movie was different from all the others and was a hit.

The producer made a big mistake by not having George under contract so he filled a suitcase with money and told him to sign a contract. Mr. Lazenby was not interested in making another Bond film, selling out, or being a contract flunky, so he walked away from that deal/suitcase. It's a very funny story!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8UhlEPV6uc

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2019 5:16 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 11/10/2019 3:03 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 12:59:19 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> That's not the stuff we're talking about.Â* It's almost as if you're
>>> trying
>>> to come up with the worst possible outcome.Â* I would appreciate some
>>> intellectual honesty from you.
>>>
>>> Here's what we're talking about:
>>>
>>> pork, water, contains 2% or less of the following: corn syrup, salt,
>>> spices, sugar, monosodium glutamate, flavorings.

>> I went with the first JD breakfast sausage that I found. No dishonesty
>> involved.

> Â* That's bullshit and we all know it . You looked for the JD product
> with the most unpronounceable ingredients , just like always .

Yes, we do indeed know it. Bruce tries to make it sound like everyone
(especially in the U.S.) is eating the worst possible crap all the time.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2019 11:39 AM, Gary wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>>
>> Look more at the grocery store McCormack spices. Many sell for
>> up to $100 per pound. No wonder in the old days, ships went
>> to China for spices. Worth more than gold back then.

> Correction: sell for up to $100 per OUNCE, not per pound.

It's still a lot of money. And you're absolutely right. In the
ancient mists of time, spices were worth their weight in gold. Ships
sailed the seas on a very active spice trade route. Also imported were
silks and other exotic things, but spices were highly prized.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2019 12:24 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>
>> Gary wrote:
>>>
>>> Look more at the grocery store McCormack spices. Many sell for
>>> up to $100 per pound. No wonder in the old days, ships went
>>> to China for spices. Worth more than gold back then.

>> Correction: sell for up to $100 per OUNCE, not per pound.

> Thats why many of the locals here have been using savory spice shop.
> We used to use Penzey's until the owner abused our trust by using our
> email addresses to spam us with political views (no relation to spices).

I didn't like that about Penzey's, either, Carol. Don't drag customers
into your politics.

I don't have a spice shop nor any sort of international market near
where I live now. At one time I did live near an actual Penzey's
Market. They opened a store in Germantown, TN. A hop, skip and a jump
from my apartment. And I was taking some classes for work practically
across the street shortly after they opened. So I went in there one day
on the lunch break. OMG... the heavenly scent of herbs and spices was
amazing. They had little baskets set out like potpourri. I spent an
entire hour in there. I have to say, Penzey's shops smell wonderful.
I didn't walk out empty handed.

Jill