Old 09-11-2019, 03:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The secret to meatloaf.....

So many recipes call for just ground beef. Use half pork and half
beef (haven't seen ground veal for ages).

1.2lbs each of home ground pork butt and grocery store mystery beef,
onions, celery green pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian
seasonings, worcestershire, Maggi Arome Saveur Depuis 1889, salt,
and pepper.

https://i.postimg.cc/VL921nRp/Meatloaf-Raw-2.jpg

Baked @ 350F for 70 minutes basting with an extra tangy, slightly
sweet tomato sauce (malt vinegar, sugar, and more Maggi Arome Saveur
Depuis 1889) starting halfway through baking.

https://i.postimg.cc/T3RFP1Nw/Meatloaf-Cooked.jpg

Plated with mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, and mixed veggies.

https://i.postimg.cc/52nGQJDm/Meatloaf-Plated.jpg

-sw

Old 09-11-2019, 04:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/8/2019 9:54 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
So many recipes call for just ground beef. Use half pork and half
beef (haven't seen ground veal for ages).

1.2lbs each of home ground pork butt and grocery store mystery beef,
onions, celery green pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian
seasonings, worcestershire, Maggi Arome Saveur Depuis 1889, salt,
and pepper.

https://i.postimg.cc/VL921nRp/Meatloaf-Raw-2.jpg

Baked @ 350F for 70 minutes basting with an extra tangy, slightly
sweet tomato sauce (malt vinegar, sugar, and more Maggi Arome Saveur
Depuis 1889) starting halfway through baking.

https://i.postimg.cc/T3RFP1Nw/Meatloaf-Cooked.jpg

Plated with mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, and mixed veggies.

https://i.postimg.cc/52nGQJDm/Meatloaf-Plated.jpg

-sw

The gravy looks like it has a mushroom smiley face on it.

Publix sells a beef/pork meatloaf mix. I used to find veal on occasion
in CT. Used the same mix for meatballs, beef pork, veal 50/25/25
Old 09-11-2019, 05:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 22:28:09 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 11/8/2019 9:54 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

Plated with mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, and mixed veggies.

https://i.postimg.cc/52nGQJDm/Meatloaf-Plated.jpg

The gravy looks like it has a mushroom smiley face on it.

I'm not sure I'm seeing the smiley face. But I do see an elephant
now that you mention it (above what you may be seeing as the smile).

-sw
Old 09-11-2019, 05:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 8, 2019 at 9:28:12 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 11/8/2019 9:54 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

So many recipes call for just ground beef. Use half pork and half
beef (haven't seen ground veal for ages).

I'm sure you enjoyed it and your efforts were great.

I've given up on meatloaf. I don't care what vegetables or what seasonings
I use I don't like the results. When I need a meatloaf fix I'll just head
to a restaurant. But one thing I don't like on meatloaf, homemade or
restaurant made, is a brown or a mushroom gravy. Some people love those
flavors on meatloaf it is not a topping I like nor do I like ketchup. Give
me a tomato sauce, please.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oats are good in meatloaf.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 9, 2019 at 7:03:32 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Oats are good in meatloaf.

What kind of oats? Rolled, quick cooking?. I think regular rolled oats would work, although I have yet to try it. I buy extremely slow cooking oats; steel cut. They take about an hour for oatmeal, I wonder if you put them raw in meat loaf if they would become done? Doubt it, maybe pre cook them first.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Old fashioned oats would work best, it's good to put BBQ sauce on top too inttead of ketchup.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-09 8:42 a.m., A Moose in Love wrote:
On Saturday, November 9, 2019 at 7:03:32 AM UTC-5,
wrote:
Oats are good in meatloaf.

My glasses are dirty and I cat read that as Cats are good in meatloaf.

What kind of oats? Rolled, quick cooking?. I think regular rolled
oats would work, although I have yet to try it. I buy extremely slow
cooking oats; steel cut. They take about an hour for oatmeal, I
wonder if you put them raw in meat loaf if they would become done?
Doubt it, maybe pre cook them first.

I have used rolled oats in meatloaf. It's pretty good.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 20:54:22 -0600, Sqwertz
wrote:

So many recipes call for just ground beef. Use half pork and half
beef (haven't seen ground veal for ages).

1.2lbs each of home ground pork butt and grocery store mystery beef,
onions, celery green pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian
seasonings, worcestershire, Maggi Arome Saveur Depuis 1889, salt,
and pepper.

https://i.postimg.cc/VL921nRp/Meatloaf-Raw-2.jpg

Baked @ 350F for 70 minutes basting with an extra tangy, slightly
sweet tomato sauce (malt vinegar, sugar, and more Maggi Arome Saveur
Depuis 1889) starting halfway through baking.

https://i.postimg.cc/T3RFP1Nw/Meatloaf-Cooked.jpg

Plated with mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, and mixed veggies.

https://i.postimg.cc/52nGQJDm/Meatloaf-Plated.jpg

-sw

That dinner looks mighty fine. How did you do the mushroom gravy?
Janet US
Old 09-11-2019, 06:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

It's rare to find any veal at markets these days... different cuts of
veal were common but I haven't seen any veal around here in years... I
used to make veal chops and breast of veal often.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 20:26:33 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Friday, November 8, 2019 at 9:28:12 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 11/8/2019 9:54 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

So many recipes call for just ground beef. Use half pork and half
beef (haven't seen ground veal for ages).

I'm sure you enjoyed it and your efforts were great.

I've given up on meatloaf. I don't care what vegetables or what seasonings
I use I don't like the results. When I need a meatloaf fix I'll just head
to a restaurant. But one thing I don't like on meatloaf, homemade or
restaurant made, is a brown or a mushroom gravy. Some people love those
flavors on meatloaf it is not a topping I like nor do I like ketchup. Give
me a tomato sauce, please.

I don't care for meat loaf cooked with a gravy/sauce topping, prevents
a proper crust from forming and tomato sauce tends to burn... I'd
rather have a brown gravy after it's sliced. My secret ingredient for
meat loaf is to grind in some raw potato, adds moistness and holds it
together better than a ton of bread crumbs. The only time I like
ketchup on meat loaf is in a cold meat loaf sandwich... but then I'd
rather horseradish and no ketchup. Oh, and check a dictionary, meat
loaf is two words... unless you're Italian, then it's Meat-A-Loaf. LOL
Meat loaf is one of my favorite foods. it's the one food I can eat
every day, because I can prepare it differently every day for years.
The one dish my first wife could prepare well was a meat loaf made
with canned tuna and cottage cheese, unfortunately I don't have the
recipe, and I've tried to duplicate it but no luck... the one thing I
remember is that she baked it in a bread loaf pan.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

So many recipes call for just ground beef. Use half pork and half
beef (haven't seen ground veal for ages).

1.2lbs each of home ground pork butt and grocery store mystery beef,
onions, celery green pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian
seasonings, worcestershire, Maggi Arome Saveur Depuis 1889, salt,
and pepper.

https://i.postimg.cc/VL921nRp/Meatloaf-Raw-2.jpg

Baked @ 350F for 70 minutes basting with an extra tangy, slightly
sweet tomato sauce (malt vinegar, sugar, and more Maggi Arome Saveur
Depuis 1889) starting halfway through baking.

https://i.postimg.cc/T3RFP1Nw/Meatloaf-Cooked.jpg

Plated with mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, and mixed veggies.

https://i.postimg.cc/52nGQJDm/Meatloaf-Plated.jpg

That dinner looks mighty fine. How did you do the mushroom gravy?
Janet US

Butter roux, sliced mushrooms, minced onion, mushroom powder (from
ground shitake stems), granulated onion, beef base, and cornstarch.

-sw
Old 09-11-2019, 07:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

U.S. Janet B. wrote:
That dinner looks mighty fine. How did you do the mushroom gravy?
Janet US

Butter roux, sliced mushrooms, minced onion, mushroom powder (from
ground shitake stems), granulated onion, beef base, and cornstarch.

For me: can of Cream of Mushroom soup plus a few sliced
mushrooms added. Quick and tasty.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 9, 2019 at 12:03:09 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
[...]

I can find ground veal and scallopini at the better grocery store in town.
From the butcher shop I can get pretty much anything I want.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 09-11-2019, 07:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 9, 2019 at 11:39:52 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

Oh, and check a dictionary, meat
loaf is two words... unless you're Italian, then it's Meat-A-Loaf.

Depends on which dictionary you are using.

A secret tip! God[_2_] General Cooking 3 04-12-2012 03:09 AM
What's the secret? gloria.p General Cooking 9 16-06-2011 11:29 AM
Secret Formula Lengend--- several most money-attractive secret recieps rainandwind Wine 3 13-11-2008 05:16 AM
My Secret Dry Rub Jimbo Barbecue 2 07-01-2004 10:31 PM