Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chef claims "ethnic" food aisles in supermarkets are "racist."

Columnist Amy Alkon doesn't agree.

"Oh, please.

"They also put all the Passover food in one place, because people who buy gefilte fish will probably go for the matzo and horseradish sauce, too."

(She's Jewish.)

http://www.advicegoddess.com/archive....html#comments

Almost 20 comments so far.

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-10-07 12:36 p.m., wrote:
> Columnist Amy Alkon doesn't agree.
>
> "Oh, please.
>
> "They also put all the Passover food in one place, because people who buy gefilte fish will probably go for the matzo and horseradish sauce, too."
>
> (She's Jewish.)

http://www.advicegoddess.com/archive....html#comments

> Almost 20 comments so far.

It just looks like someone is trying to be controversial to get a bit of
attention. We can't all be expected to know all the ingredients and
condiments of other cultures.

There is a grocery store in Niagara Falls where I usually go for various
ethnic ingredients because they have a great selection and it is laid
out by ethnicity, making it easy to find my way around. They have a
section for eastern European foods, likes jams and jellies, pickled
vegetables, sauerkraut etc. There is one for Hispanic foods that has
spices, hard and and soft tortillas, salsas and sauces. Next to that
are the Caribbean foods. One the other side of the aisle are middle
eastern, Asian and south Asian foods. The freezer section is also
divided into various ethnic sections. They clientele don't seem to mind.
On the contrary, they have a very diverse range of shoppers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 9:36:34 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> Columnist Amy Alkon doesn't agree.
>
> "Oh, please.
>
> "They also put all the Passover food in one place, because people who buy gefilte fish will probably go for the matzo and horseradish sauce, too."
>
> (She's Jewish.)
>
> http://www.advicegoddess.com/archive....html#comments
>
> Almost 20 comments so far.
>

> Lenona.

I like "ethnic" aisles. I know exactly where to go for ingredients and products I need for dishes I want to prepare. It's like libraries, you don't look for cookbooks in the fiction aisle.

Some are a bit overly sensitive and look for slights where there are none.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/7/2019 1:31 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 9:36:34 AM UTC-7, wrote:
>> Columnist Amy Alkon doesn't agree.
>>
>> "Oh, please.
>>
>> "They also put all the Passover food in one place, because people who buy gefilte fish will probably go for the matzo and horseradish sauce, too."
>>
>> (She's Jewish.)
>>
>> http://www.advicegoddess.com/archive....html#comments
>>
>> Almost 20 comments so far.
>>

>> Lenona.

> I like "ethnic" aisles. I know exactly where to go for ingredients and products I need for dishes I want to prepare. It's like libraries, you don't look for cookbooks in the fiction aisle.
>
> Some are a bit overly sensitive and look for slights where there are none.

Actually, they don't go far enough. We should eliminate ethnic
restaurants too. No more Italian, no more Chinese. no more Mexican.
Restaurants will simply be restaurants and cannot have a name that would
give an ethnic inference.

Each can have their own chef, but the menu most adhere to strict
government guidelines. No more ravioli. In the future they will be
stuffed dough pockets served with a tomato based sauce with herbs and a
grated hard cheese from cow's milk.

I'm going to order the Non-Regional Fried Chicken.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 6:36:34 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> Columnist Amy Alkon doesn't agree.
>
> "Oh, please.
>
> "They also put all the Passover food in one place, because people who buy gefilte fish will probably go for the matzo and horseradish sauce, too."
>
> (She's Jewish.)
>
> http://www.advicegoddess.com/archive....html#comments
>
> Almost 20 comments so far.
>

> Lenona.

My favorite aisle at Times Supermarket and Safeway is the Asian section. I like to linger over there. OTOH, an Asian on the mainland might feel a bit self-conscience perusing the ethnic aisle. Therein, is where Mr. Chang is coming from. White folks don't have this problem. Asians do.

My guess is that a white would feel the same way if there was an aisle in deepest, darkest, Asia reserved especially for their kind.

I recently went down the aisle at Times supermarket and bought 4 cans of smoked scallops and a can of smoked oysters. I open the can, dump out the oil and add a mixture of shoyu and sugar. Holy smokes, it's great!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 2:46:38 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 6:36:34 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> > Columnist Amy Alkon doesn't agree.
> >
> > "Oh, please.
> >
> > "They also put all the Passover food in one place, because people who buy gefilte fish will probably go for the matzo and horseradish sauce, too."
> >
> > (She's Jewish.)
> >
> > http://www.advicegoddess.com/archive....html#comments
> >
> > Almost 20 comments so far.
> >

> > Lenona.

> My favorite aisle at Times Supermarket and Safeway is the Asian section. I like to linger over there. OTOH, an Asian on the mainland might feel a bit self-conscience perusing the ethnic aisle. Therein, is where Mr. Chang is coming from. White folks don't have this problem. Asians do.

An Asian on the mainland would probably skip the ethnic aisle and go right
to the ethnic grocery store. Why buy the crappy La Choy stuff?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 13:49:44 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 09:36:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>> Columnist Amy Alkon doesn't agree.
>>
>> "Oh, please.
>>
>> "They also put all the Passover food in one place, because people who buy gefilte fish will probably go for the matzo and horseradish sauce, too."
>>
>> (She's Jewish.)

http://www.advicegoddess.com/archive....html#comments

>> Almost 20 comments so far.

>This witch hunt to find things to be offended by is way out of
>control. And the media, social media and posting about is 99% of
>the problem. Advice Goddess? Yeah she can go **** herself.

You say that as if it's easy.

Soon the Police aren't allowed to say "Hands up!" anymore, because
it's non inclusive and very confronting for people with only one hand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 8:52:59 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 2:46:38 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 6:36:34 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> > > Columnist Amy Alkon doesn't agree.
> > >
> > > "Oh, please.
> > >
> > > "They also put all the Passover food in one place, because people who buy gefilte fish will probably go for the matzo and horseradish sauce, too.."
> > >
> > > (She's Jewish.)
> > >
> > > http://www.advicegoddess.com/archive....html#comments
> > >
> > > Almost 20 comments so far.
> > >

> > > Lenona.

> > My favorite aisle at Times Supermarket and Safeway is the Asian section.. I like to linger over there. OTOH, an Asian on the mainland might feel a bit self-conscience perusing the ethnic aisle. Therein, is where Mr. Chang is coming from. White folks don't have this problem. Asians do.

> An Asian on the mainland would probably skip the ethnic aisle and go right
> to the ethnic grocery store. Why buy the crappy La Choy stuff?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Asian-Americans probably like to go to American grocery stores because they're culturally American. They might feel a little funny in the ethnic aisle or may even avoid going past there because of their ethnicity/appearance. Who the heck buys La Choy?

I ate at a retirement home last week. They serve American food there. That stuff is easy on the stomach!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...GMgc2UiBUD1Pka
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 3:23:37 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 8:52:59 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > My favorite aisle at Times Supermarket and Safeway is the Asian section. I like to linger over there. OTOH, an Asian on the mainland might feel a bit self-conscience perusing the ethnic aisle. Therein, is where Mr. Chang is coming from. White folks don't have this problem. Asians do.

> > An Asian on the mainland would probably skip the ethnic aisle and go right
> > to the ethnic grocery store. Why buy the crappy La Choy stuff?
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Asian-Americans probably like to go to American grocery stores because they're culturally American. They might feel a little funny in the ethnic aisle or may even avoid going past there because of their ethnicity/appearance.. Who the heck buys La Choy?

Somebody must, or the grocery stores wouldn't stock it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 12:23:33 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 8:52:59 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> > My favorite aisle at Times Supermarket and Safeway is the Asian section. I like to linger over there. OTOH, an Asian on the mainland might feel a bit self-conscience perusing the ethnic aisle. Therein, is where Mr. Chang is coming from. White folks don't have this problem. Asians do.

>> An Asian on the mainland would probably skip the ethnic aisle and go right
>> to the ethnic grocery store. Why buy the crappy La Choy stuff?
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>Asian-Americans probably like to go to American grocery stores because they're culturally American. They might feel a little funny in the ethnic aisle or may even avoid going past there because of their ethnicity/appearance. Who the heck buys La Choy?
>
>I ate at a retirement home last week. They serve American food there. That stuff is easy on the stomach!
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...GMgc2UiBUD1Pka

Could have been a lot worse, if you axe me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 9:28:49 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Somebody must, or the grocery stores wouldn't stock it.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I understand how it works, I'd just like to see photos of the kind of people that buys La Choy. I just can't imagine what that would be like.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 9:31:09 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 12:23:33 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:

> >> An Asian on the mainland would probably skip the ethnic aisle and go right
> >> to the ethnic grocery store. Why buy the crappy La Choy stuff?
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton

> >Asian-Americans probably like to go to American grocery stores because they're culturally American. They might feel a little funny in the ethnic aisle or may even avoid going past there because of their ethnicity/appearance. Who the heck buys La Choy?
> >
> >I ate at a retirement home last week. They serve American food there. That stuff is easy on the stomach!
> >
> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...GMgc2UiBUD1Pka

> Could have been a lot worse, if you axe me.

I don't have to axe you. I've had a lot worse - at that same retirement home! I'm hoping that the food service has stepped up its game cause I might be eating there 2 times a month.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 12:47:48 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 9:28:49 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Somebody must, or the grocery stores wouldn't stock it.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>I understand how it works

lol

>, I'd just like to see photos of the kind of people that buys La Choy. I just can't imagine what that would be like.

Maybe they're Asian wannabees. They wander through the aisles,
squinting, looking for La Choy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 13:53:19 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 10/7/2019 1:31 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>> On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 9:36:34 AM UTC-7, wrote:
>>> Columnist Amy Alkon doesn't agree.
>>>
>>> "Oh, please.
>>>
>>> "They also put all the Passover food in one place, because people who buy gefilte fish will probably go for the matzo and horseradish sauce, too."
>>>
>>> (She's Jewish.)
>>>
>>> http://www.advicegoddess.com/archive....html#comments
>>>
>>> Almost 20 comments so far.
>>>

>> I like "ethnic" aisles. I know exactly where to go for ingredients and products I need for dishes I want to prepare. It's like libraries, you don't look for cookbooks in the fiction aisle.
>>
>> Some are a bit overly sensitive and look for slights where there are none.
>>

>Actually, they don't go far enough.

Agreed.

> We should eliminate ethnic
>restaurants too. No more Italian, no more Chinese. no more Mexican.
>Restaurants will simply be restaurants and cannot have a name that would
>give an ethnic inference.
>
>Each can have their own chef, but the menu most adhere to strict
>government guidelines. No more ravioli. In the future they will be
>stuffed dough pockets served with a tomato based sauce with herbs and a
>grated hard cheese from cow's milk.

A solution to this would be an government approved RFID implanted chip
embedded into each person's (apologies if that term is specist) hand
(again, apologies to those with limb loss or congenital limb defects)
containing DNA information. Those with say, 85% Italian DNA could be
approved to dine at an Italian restaurant. This would be an effective
way to combat gastronomical cultural appropriation.

>I'm going to order the Non-Regional Fried Chicken.

Your poultural speciesism is appalling, and is triggering my anxiety.
People like you should be publicly bullied on Twitter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 11:46:34 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>My favorite aisle at Times Supermarket and Safeway is the Asian section. I like to linger over there. OTOH, an Asian on the mainland might feel a bit self-conscience perusing the ethnic aisle. Therein, is where Mr. Chang is coming from. White folks don't have this problem. Asians do.

Thanks for the laugh, you racist idiot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 9:28:49 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Somebody must, or the grocery stores wouldn't stock it.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>I understand how it works, I'd just like to see photos of the kind of people that buys La Choy. I just can't imagine what that would be like.

La Choy is awful. Chun King was quite passable, but alas it's no
longer. I still remember going on a field trip in the 2nd grade to
the Chun King factory... we were sent home with lots of products.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chun_King
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/7/2019 4:12 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 13:53:19 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> A solution to this would be an government approved RFID implanted chip
> embedded into each person's (apologies if that term is specist) hand
> (again, apologies to those with limb loss or congenital limb defects)
> containing DNA information. Those with say, 85% Italian DNA could be
> approved to dine at an Italian restaurant. This would be an effective
> way to combat gastronomical cultural appropriation.
>
>> I'm going to order the Non-Regional Fried Chicken.

> Your poultural speciesism is appalling, and is triggering my anxiety.
> People like you should be publicly bullied on Twitter.

I'll have the avian protein then. Cooked by a non fossil fuel method
such as a solar oven or volcanic eruption. .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 23:30:03 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 10/7/2019 4:12 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 13:53:19 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>> A solution to this would be an government approved RFID implanted chip
>> embedded into each person's (apologies if that term is specist) hand
>> (again, apologies to those with limb loss or congenital limb defects)
>> containing DNA information. Those with say, 85% Italian DNA could be
>> approved to dine at an Italian restaurant. This would be an effective
>> way to combat gastronomical cultural appropriation.
>>
>>> I'm going to order the Non-Regional Fried Chicken.

>> Your poultural speciesism is appalling, and is triggering my anxiety.
>> People like you should be publicly bullied on Twitter.
>>

>I'll have the avian protein then. Cooked by a non fossil fuel method
>such as a solar oven or volcanic eruption. .

That's much better virtue-signaling!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Oct 2019 10:42:27 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 23:30:03 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>>On 10/7/2019 4:12 PM, Je?us wrote:
>>> On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 13:53:19 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> A solution to this would be an government approved RFID implanted chip
>>> embedded into each person's (apologies if that term is specist) hand
>>> (again, apologies to those with limb loss or congenital limb defects)
>>> containing DNA information. Those with say, 85% Italian DNA could be
>>> approved to dine at an Italian restaurant. This would be an effective
>>> way to combat gastronomical cultural appropriation.

>>> Your poultural speciesism is appalling, and is triggering my anxiety.
>>> People like you should be publicly bullied on Twitter.
>>>

>>I'll have the avian protein then. Cooked by a non fossil fuel method
>>such as a solar oven or volcanic eruption. .

>That's much better virtue-signaling!

We know you've learnt a new term, Jebus.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 11:30:08 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 10/7/2019 4:12 PM, Je�us wrote:
> > On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 13:53:19 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> > A solution to this would be an government approved RFID implanted chip
> > embedded into each person's (apologies if that term is specist) hand
> > (again, apologies to those with limb loss or congenital limb defects)
> > containing DNA information. Those with say, 85% Italian DNA could be
> > approved to dine at an Italian restaurant. This would be an effective
> > way to combat gastronomical cultural appropriation.
> >
> >> I'm going to order the Non-Regional Fried Chicken.

> > Your poultural speciesism is appalling, and is triggering my anxiety.
> > People like you should be publicly bullied on Twitter.
> >

> I'll have the avian protein then. Cooked by a non fossil fuel method
> such as a solar oven or volcanic eruption. .

Hardwood charcoal (or just plain wood) is non-fossil fuel.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/8/2019 5:54 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 11:30:08 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 10/7/2019 4:12 PM, Je�us wrote:
>>> On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 13:53:19 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> A solution to this would be an government approved RFID implanted chip
>>> embedded into each person's (apologies if that term is specist) hand
>>> (again, apologies to those with limb loss or congenital limb defects)
>>> containing DNA information. Those with say, 85% Italian DNA could be
>>> approved to dine at an Italian restaurant. This would be an effective
>>> way to combat gastronomical cultural appropriation.

>>> Your poultural speciesism is appalling, and is triggering my anxiety.
>>> People like you should be publicly bullied on Twitter.
>>>

>> I'll have the avian protein then. Cooked by a non fossil fuel method
>> such as a solar oven or volcanic eruption. .

> Hardwood charcoal (or just plain wood) is non-fossil fuel.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Acceptable as longs as the tree was not cut up with a gas powered chain
saw. Also that no insects were displaced.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 08:56:42 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 10/8/2019 5:54 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I'll have the avian protein then. Cooked by a non fossil fuel method
>>> such as a solar oven or volcanic eruption. .

>> Hardwood charcoal (or just plain wood) is non-fossil fuel.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>Acceptable as longs as the tree was not cut up with a gas powered chain
>saw. Also that no insects were displaced.

Even a hand saw... how was the blade made... it'd need to be a stone
axe. Insects aren't displaced, they are nomadic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 9:28:49 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Somebody must, or the grocery stores wouldn't stock it.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> I understand how it works, I'd just like to see photos of the kind of
> people that buys La Choy. I just can't imagine what that would be
> like.

Hehehe, it's not actually that horrible, at least in the 60s/70s when I
was a kid. Mom would get it sometimes. Keep in mind Mom was a lovely
person but never a cook. I didn't get it on my own until a brief time
when living in Japan where meat prices can be astronomical. I found
one in the cabinets as we were clearing out to leave. I see I added
Bok Choy, Sesame Oil, a little patis (real one, made from fish), and
shemenji. It's in my recipe database from then.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 12:45:36 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

> dsi1 wrote:
>
> > I understand how it works, I'd just like to see photos of the kind of
> > people that buys La Choy. I just can't imagine what that would be
> > like.

> Hehehe, it's not actually that horrible, at least in the 60s/70s when I
> was a kid. Mom would get it sometimes. Keep in mind Mom was a lovely
> person but never a cook. I didn't get it on my own until a brief time
> when living in Japan where meat prices can be astronomical. I found
> one in the cabinets as we were clearing out to leave. I see I added
> Bok Choy, Sesame Oil, a little patis (real one, made from fish), and
> shemenji. It's in my recipe database from then.

My mother was a great cook but she didn't venture out into any 'foreign'
cuisine. I'd seen those cans of La Choy on the grocery shelves and of
course the picture on the can made it look great so I got curious and
bought a can. Had no idea what to expect but in my 21 or 22 year old
mind it was good and made me really want to try the Chinese restaurants
that soon started to spring up across the city. I soon found out there
were a lot more dishes to savor other than 'beef pepper steak.'
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 7:45:36 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
> > On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 9:28:49 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > >
> > > Somebody must, or the grocery stores wouldn't stock it.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > I understand how it works, I'd just like to see photos of the kind of
> > people that buys La Choy. I just can't imagine what that would be
> > like.

> Hehehe, it's not actually that horrible, at least in the 60s/70s when I
> was a kid. Mom would get it sometimes. Keep in mind Mom was a lovely
> person but never a cook. I didn't get it on my own until a brief time
> when living in Japan where meat prices can be astronomical. I found
> one in the cabinets as we were clearing out to leave. I see I added
> Bok Choy, Sesame Oil, a little patis (real one, made from fish), and
> shemenji. It's in my recipe database from then.

Actually, I did have a picture in my mind of what they would be like and it would be the worst people anyone could imagine. Of course, the reality would be that they were just ordinary people of the 60's and 70's. I should get a can of that stuff just to experience it. Perhaps I can work my way up by getting one of those chop suey TV dinners first.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 2:13:03 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> Actually, I did have a picture in my mind of what they would be like and it would be the worst people anyone could imagine. Of course, the reality would be that they were just ordinary people of the 60's and 70's. I should get a can of that stuff just to experience it. Perhaps I can work my way up by getting one of those chop suey TV dinners first.

If you're used to eating the 'real' stuff I think you'd be sorely disappointed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 12:45:36 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> >
> > dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > > I understand how it works, I'd just like to see photos of the
> > > kind of people that buys La Choy. I just can't imagine what that
> > > would be like.

> > Hehehe, it's not actually that horrible, at least in the 60s/70s
> > when I was a kid. Mom would get it sometimes. Keep in mind Mom
> > was a lovely person but never a cook. I didn't get it on my own
> > until a brief time when living in Japan where meat prices can be
> > astronomical. I found one in the cabinets as we were clearing out
> > to leave. I see I added Bok Choy, Sesame Oil, a little patis (real
> > one, made from fish), and shemenji. It's in my recipe database
> > from then.
> >

> My mother was a great cook but she didn't venture out into any
> 'foreign' cuisine. I'd seen those cans of La Choy on the grocery
> shelves and of course the picture on the can made it look great so I
> got curious and bought a can. Had no idea what to expect but in my
> 21 or 22 year old mind it was good and made me really want to try the
> Chinese restaurants that soon started to spring up across the city.
> I soon found out there were a lot more dishes to savor other than
> 'beef pepper steak.'

It's really adapted for western tastes as well all know, but in the
60/70's it might be all you could find outside of a really big city
with asian food places. It definately doesn't rack up to modern much
better items in the freezer section. I'm not sure if my store sells it
as I haven't looked.

I'm far more apt to mix up my own stuff here but I'm pretty sure as a
college student on a slim paycheck, I got it a few times.

There was another brand, not La Choy, which may be the only one now.
Not sure of the name. Chun King maybe?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 7:45:36 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:

> > > I understand how it works, I'd just like to see photos of the
> > > kind of people that buys La Choy. I just can't imagine what that
> > > would be like.

> > Hehehe, it's not actually that horrible, at least in the 60s/70s
> > when I was a kid. Mom would get it sometimes. Keep in mind Mom
> > was a lovely person but never a cook. I didn't get it on my own
> > until a brief time when living in Japan where meat prices can be
> > astronomical. I found one in the cabinets as we were clearing out
> > to leave. I see I added Bok Choy, Sesame Oil, a little patis (real
> > one, made from fish), and shemenji. It's in my recipe database
> > from then.

> Actually, I did have a picture in my mind of what they would be like
> and it would be the worst people anyone could imagine. Of course, the
> reality would be that they were just ordinary people of the 60's and
> 70's. I should get a can of that stuff just to experience it. Perhaps
> I can work my way up by getting one of those chop suey TV dinners
> first.

I'll start that it's not haute cuisine and if you compare it to regular
restaruant food, won't stack up well.

It's kinda like a full on burger with all the fixings, and a McDonalds
regular cheeseburger..... Both are edible but not in the same class.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 6:15:49 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

> There was another brand, not La Choy, which may be the only one now.
> Not sure of the name. Chun King maybe?

Yes, Chun King does seem to ring a bell........
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> wrote:

>>> Hehehe, it's not actually that horrible, at least in the 60s/70s
>>> when I was a kid. Mom would get it sometimes. Keep in mind Mom
>>> was a lovely person but never a cook. I didn't get it on my own
>>> until a brief time when living in Japan where meat prices can be
>>> astronomical. I found one in the cabinets as we were clearing out
>>> to leave. I see I added Bok Choy, Sesame Oil, a little patis (real
>>> one, made from fish), and shemenji. It's in my recipe database
>>> from then.
>>>

>> My mother was a great cook but she didn't venture out into any
>> 'foreign' cuisine. I'd seen those cans of La Choy on the grocery
>> shelves and of course the picture on the can made it look great so I
>> got curious and bought a can. Had no idea what to expect but in my
>> 21 or 22 year old mind it was good and made me really want to try the
>> Chinese restaurants that soon started to spring up across the city.
>> I soon found out there were a lot more dishes to savor other than
>> 'beef pepper steak.'

> It's really adapted for western tastes as well all know, but in the
> 60/70's it might be all you could find outside of a really big city
> with asian food places. It definately doesn't rack up to modern much
> better items in the freezer section. I'm not sure if my store sells it
> as I haven't looked.
>
> I'm far more apt to mix up my own stuff here but I'm pretty sure as a
> college student on a slim paycheck, I got it a few times.
>
> There was another brand, not La Choy, which may be the only one now.
> Not sure of the name. Chun King maybe?

Popeye says chun king is long gone now. It was the only chinese
stuff he approved.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 1:15:49 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> wrote:

> > > Hehehe, it's not actually that horrible, at least in the 60s/70s
> > > when I was a kid. Mom would get it sometimes. Keep in mind Mom
> > > was a lovely person but never a cook. I didn't get it on my own
> > > until a brief time when living in Japan where meat prices can be
> > > astronomical. I found one in the cabinets as we were clearing out
> > > to leave. I see I added Bok Choy, Sesame Oil, a little patis (real
> > > one, made from fish), and shemenji. It's in my recipe database
> > > from then.
> > >

> > My mother was a great cook but she didn't venture out into any
> > 'foreign' cuisine. I'd seen those cans of La Choy on the grocery
> > shelves and of course the picture on the can made it look great so I
> > got curious and bought a can. Had no idea what to expect but in my
> > 21 or 22 year old mind it was good and made me really want to try the
> > Chinese restaurants that soon started to spring up across the city.
> > I soon found out there were a lot more dishes to savor other than
> > 'beef pepper steak.'

> It's really adapted for western tastes as well all know, but in the
> 60/70's it might be all you could find outside of a really big city
> with asian food places. It definately doesn't rack up to modern much
> better items in the freezer section. I'm not sure if my store sells it
> as I haven't looked.
>
> I'm far more apt to mix up my own stuff here but I'm pretty sure as a
> college student on a slim paycheck, I got it a few times.
>
> There was another brand, not La Choy, which may be the only one now.
> Not sure of the name. Chun King maybe?

Chun King might have been a low point in the history of American food but Chungking Express was a brilliant high point in Hong Kong cinema.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qm0UK1yG1Q
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 22:18:45 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 1:15:49 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>> wrote:

>> > My mother was a great cook but she didn't venture out into any
>> > 'foreign' cuisine. I'd seen those cans of La Choy on the grocery
>> > shelves and of course the picture on the can made it look great so I
>> > got curious and bought a can. Had no idea what to expect but in my
>> > 21 or 22 year old mind it was good and made me really want to try the
>> > Chinese restaurants that soon started to spring up across the city.
>> > I soon found out there were a lot more dishes to savor other than
>> > 'beef pepper steak.'

>> It's really adapted for western tastes as well all know, but in the
>> 60/70's it might be all you could find outside of a really big city
>> with asian food places. It definately doesn't rack up to modern much
>> better items in the freezer section. I'm not sure if my store sells it
>> as I haven't looked.
>>
>> I'm far more apt to mix up my own stuff here but I'm pretty sure as a
>> college student on a slim paycheck, I got it a few times.
>>
>> There was another brand, not La Choy, which may be the only one now.
>> Not sure of the name. Chun King maybe?

>Chun King might have been a low point in the history of American food

Chun King Vegetables & Sauce Mix

Water, Bean Sprouts, Green Bell Peppers, Red Bell Peppers, Carrots,
Onions, Sugar, MSG, Garlic Powder, Spices, Citric Acid, Disodium
Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Modified Corn Starch, Starch, Salt,
Seasoning (Wheat and Soya), Dextrose, Hydrolyzed Soya and Corn
Protein, Onion Powder, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Caramel Color,
Lactic Acid and Sulphites.

If you don't add xanthan gum for Americans, you're doomed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 9, 2019 at 7:26:59 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 22:18:45 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:

> >> It's really adapted for western tastes as well all know, but in the
> >> 60/70's it might be all you could find outside of a really big city
> >> with asian food places. It definately doesn't rack up to modern much
> >> better items in the freezer section. I'm not sure if my store sells it
> >> as I haven't looked.
> >>
> >> I'm far more apt to mix up my own stuff here but I'm pretty sure as a
> >> college student on a slim paycheck, I got it a few times.
> >>
> >> There was another brand, not La Choy, which may be the only one now.
> >> Not sure of the name. Chun King maybe?

> >Chun King might have been a low point in the history of American food

> Chun King Vegetables & Sauce Mix
>
> Water, Bean Sprouts, Green Bell Peppers, Red Bell Peppers, Carrots,
> Onions, Sugar, MSG, Garlic Powder, Spices, Citric Acid, Disodium
> Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Modified Corn Starch, Starch, Salt,
> Seasoning (Wheat and Soya), Dextrose, Hydrolyzed Soya and Corn
> Protein, Onion Powder, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Caramel Color,
> Lactic Acid and Sulphites.
>
> If you don't add xanthan gum for Americans, you're doomed.

My daughter has been ill so she requested some jook. I didn't have 2 hours or thereabouts so I used a pressure cooker and finished in about half the time. It was okay - for a pressure cooker. Just for laughs I put some pork floss in my bowl but not my daughter's. I don't think she would stomach pork floss.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...pxui0Yb4_M2tWX

https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/05/...g-pork-fu.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 22:53:13 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, October 9, 2019 at 7:26:59 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 22:18:45 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Chun King might have been a low point in the history of American food

>> Chun King Vegetables & Sauce Mix
>>
>> Water, Bean Sprouts, Green Bell Peppers, Red Bell Peppers, Carrots,
>> Onions, Sugar, MSG, Garlic Powder, Spices, Citric Acid, Disodium
>> Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Modified Corn Starch, Starch, Salt,
>> Seasoning (Wheat and Soya), Dextrose, Hydrolyzed Soya and Corn
>> Protein, Onion Powder, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Caramel Color,
>> Lactic Acid and Sulphites.
>>
>> If you don't add xanthan gum for Americans, you're doomed.

>My daughter has been ill so she requested some jook. I didn't have 2 hours or thereabouts so I used a pressure cooker and finished in about half the time. It was okay - for a pressure cooker. Just for laughs I put some pork floss in my bowl but not my daughter's. I don't think she would stomach pork floss.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...pxui0Yb4_M2tWX

I don't know what jook is, but it looks like a poached jellyfish.