Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default White wine starting to cook

Last week I posted that my friend's white wine was not fermenting. It has now started to ferment. It took much longer than usual. He did not add more yeast though. I was talking to him today, and he said that back in Hungary, they never added yeast to get wine going. It just started to cook on it's own. He said that adding yeast was new to him, when he came to Canada.. I always helped my dad and grandfather make wine, and even here I cannot remember them adding yeast. They added sugar to juice pressed from Ontario, Canada grapes, but no sugar to the Californian grapes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:
> Last week I posted that my friend's white wine was not fermenting. It has now started to ferment. It took much longer than usual. He did not add more yeast though. I was talking to him today, and he said that back in Hungary, they never added yeast to get wine going. It just started to cook on it's own. He said that adding yeast was new to him, when he came to Canada. I always helped my dad and grandfather make wine, and even here I cannot remember them adding yeast. They added sugar to juice pressed from Ontario, Canada grapes, but no sugar to the Californian grapes.

Yes, you don't need to add yeast if you are satisfied with whatever
wild yeast strain happens to grow. Sometimes it works out, but many
people prefer using a known cultured strain to start their wine or beer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/2/2019 4:18 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> A Moose in Love wrote:
>> Last week I posted that my friend's white wine was not fermenting.Â*
>> It has now started to ferment.Â* It took much longer than usual.Â* He
>> did not add more yeast though. I was talking to him today, and he
>> said that back in Hungary, they never added yeast to get wine going.Â*
>> It just started to cook on it's own.Â* He said that adding yeast was
>> new to him, when he came to Canada.Â* I always helped my dad and
>> grandfather make wine, and even here I cannot remember them adding
>> yeast. They added sugar to juice pressed from Ontario, Canada grapes,
>> but no sugar to the Californian grapes.
>>

> Yes, you don't need to add yeast if you are satisfied with whatever
> wild yeast strain happens to grow. Sometimes it works out, but many
> people prefer using a known cultured strain to start their wine or beer

Â* I like Montrachet ... got the meat from a dead ripe watermelon in the
freezer awaiting time for me to make it into wine .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 10/2/2019 4:18 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> A Moose in Love wrote:
>>> Last week I posted that my friend's white wine was not
>>> fermenting. It has now started to ferment.Â* It took much longer
>>> than usual.Â* He did not add more yeast though. I was talking to
>>> him today, and he said that back in Hungary, they never added
>>> yeast to get wine going. It just started to cook on it's own.Â
>>> He said that adding yeast was new to him, when he came to
>>> Canada.Â* I always helped my dad and grandfather make wine, and
>>> even here I cannot remember them adding yeast. They added sugar
>>> to juice pressed from Ontario, Canada grapes, but no sugar to the
>>> Californian grapes.
>>>

>> Yes, you don't need to add yeast if you are satisfied with
>> whatever wild yeast strain happens to grow. Sometimes it works
>> out, but many people prefer using a known cultured strain to start
>> their wine or beer

> Â* I like Montrachet ... got the meat from a dead ripe watermelon in
> the freezer awaiting time for me to make it into wine .

Unless you're running a very good air conditioner, it's been too
damn hot for fermenting wine or beer lately anyway. It will ferment
very fast, but I think the taste isn't as good as at more normal temps.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 20:59:20 -0500, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 10/2/2019 4:18 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> A Moose in Love wrote:
>>> Last week I posted that my friend's white wine was not fermenting.Â*
>>> It has now started to ferment.Â* It took much longer than usual.Â* He
>>> did not add more yeast though. I was talking to him today, and he
>>> said that back in Hungary, they never added yeast to get wine going.Â*
>>> It just started to cook on it's own.Â* He said that adding yeast was
>>> new to him, when he came to Canada.Â* I always helped my dad and
>>> grandfather make wine, and even here I cannot remember them adding
>>> yeast. They added sugar to juice pressed from Ontario, Canada grapes,
>>> but no sugar to the Californian grapes.
>>>

>> Yes, you don't need to add yeast if you are satisfied with whatever
>> wild yeast strain happens to grow. Sometimes it works out, but many
>> people prefer using a known cultured strain to start their wine or beer

> Â* I like Montrachet ... got the meat from a dead ripe watermelon in the
>freezer awaiting time for me to make it into wine .

Did you pick "Montrachet" blindfolded from the French Wikipedia?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 20:59:20 -0500, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:

>>> Yes, you don't need to add yeast if you are satisfied with whatever
>>> wild yeast strain happens to grow. Sometimes it works out, but many
>>> people prefer using a known cultured strain to start their wine or beer

>> Â* I like Montrachet ... got the meat from a dead ripe watermelon in the
>> freezer awaiting time for me to make it into wine .

> Did you pick "Montrachet" blindfolded from the French Wikipedia?

It's just a brand name for wine and beer yeasts and such.
Fleishman's is another brand mostly for breads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeast_in_winemaking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/2/2019 9:06 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote:
>>>>

>>> Yes, you don't need to add yeast if you are satisfied with whatever
>>> wild yeast strain happens to grow. Sometimes it works out, but many
>>> people prefer using a known cultured strain to start their wine or beer

>> ÂÂ* I like Montrachet ... got the meat from a dead ripe watermelon in
>> the freezer awaiting time for me to make it into wine .
>>

> Unless you're running a very good air conditioner, it's been too damn
> hot for fermenting wine or beer lately anyway. It will ferment very
> fast, but I think the taste isn't as good as at more normal temps.

Â* It's not the temps , it's finding time . And well , I want to make
some mead too , and I haven't harvested any honey yet this year . I
figger if I'm setting up the wine-making stuff it ain't gonna be for
just one jug .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/2/2019 9:41 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 20:59:20 -0500, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:

>>> Yes, you don't need to add yeast if you are satisfied with whatever
>>> wild yeast strain happens to grow. Sometimes it works out, but many
>>> people prefer using a known cultured strain to start their wine or beer

>> Â* I like Montrachet ... got the meat from a dead ripe watermelon in the
>> freezer awaiting time for me to make it into wine .

> Did you pick "Montrachet" blindfolded from the French Wikipedia?

Â*Â* No , a friend many years ago introduced me to that strain . It's
just a good all-round yeast for wine making . Different yeasts have
different tolerances for alcohol levels . Montrachet is good for up to
14%-16% if the sugars are there .
Â* Oh and **** you for insinuating that I would try to impress about
something that I know nothing about . That's your department , I
wouldn't want to infringe .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 21:54:44 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 20:59:20 -0500, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:

>>> ÂÂ* I like Montrachet ... got the meat from a dead ripe watermelon in the
>>> freezer awaiting time for me to make it into wine .

>> Did you pick "Montrachet" blindfolded from the French Wikipedia?
>>

>It's just a brand name for wine and beer yeasts and such.
>Fleishman's is another brand mostly for breads.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeast_in_winemaking

Ok, so you name the wine after the yeast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 22:01:26 -0500, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 10/2/2019 9:41 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 20:59:20 -0500, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:

>>> Â* I like Montrachet ... got the meat from a dead ripe watermelon in the
>>> freezer awaiting time for me to make it into wine .

>> Did you pick "Montrachet" blindfolded from the French Wikipedia?

> Â*Â* No , a friend many years ago introduced me to that strain . It's
>just a good all-round yeast for wine making . Different yeasts have
>different tolerances for alcohol levels . Montrachet is good for up to
>14%-16% if the sugars are there .
> Â* Oh and **** you for insinuating that I would try to impress about
>something that I know nothing about . That's your department , I
>wouldn't want to infringe .

It's a bit like calling your car after your brand of gas station.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 10/2/2019 9:06 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> Terry Coombs wrote:

>>> ÀšÃ‚Â* I like Montrachet ... got the meat from a dead ripe
>>> watermelon in the freezer awaiting time for me to make it into
>>> wine .
>>>

>> Unless you're running a very good air conditioner, it's been too
>> damn hot for fermenting wine or beer lately anyway. It will
>> ferment very fast, but I think the taste isn't as good as at more
>> normal temps.
>>

> ÂÂ* It's not the temps , it's finding time . And well , I want to
> make some mead too , and I haven't harvested any honey yet this year
> . I figger if I'm setting up the wine-making stuff it ain't gonna be
> for just one jug .

I always wanted to try making mead, but never found a good supply of
honey. I was afraid to try with store bought honey, because some has
preservatives and other additives.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 21:54:44 -0500, Hank Rogers >
> wrote:
>
>> Bruce wrote:

>>> Did you pick "Montrachet" blindfolded from the French Wikipedia?
>>>

>> It's just a brand name for wine and beer yeasts and such.
>> Fleishman's is another brand mostly for breads.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeast_in_winemaking

> Ok, so you name the wine after the yeast.

Maybe we could just name it something like druce juce. And if
distilled into a brandy, how about "old wooden shoe #7"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 22:58:37 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Terry Coombs wrote:
>> On 10/2/2019 9:06 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
>>>
>>> Unless you're running a very good air conditioner, it's been too
>>> damn hot for fermenting wine or beer lately anyway. It will
>>> ferment very fast, but I think the taste isn't as good as at more
>>> normal temps.
>>>

>> ÂÂ* It's not the temps , it's finding time . And well , I want to
>> make some mead too , and I haven't harvested any honey yet this year
>> . I figger if I'm setting up the wine-making stuff it ain't gonna be
>> for just one jug .
>>

>I always wanted to try making mead, but never found a good supply of
>honey. I was afraid to try with store bought honey, because some has
>preservatives and other additives.

Are you becoming unamerican or something?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 23:01:27 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 21:54:44 -0500, Hank Rogers >
>> wrote:

>>> It's just a brand name for wine and beer yeasts and such.
>>> Fleishman's is another brand mostly for breads.
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeast_in_winemaking

>> Ok, so you name the wine after the yeast.
>>

>Maybe we could just name it something like druce juce. And if
>distilled into a brandy, how about "old wooden shoe #7"

GUFFAW! LOL! HARRUMPH!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I always wanted to try making mead, but never found a good supply of
>honey. I was afraid to try with store bought honey, because some has
>preservatives and other additives.

I used to make mead years ago, in large 30-50L carboys. Some of them
worked out to be incredibly expensive due to my choices of honey and
other ingredients, such as blueberries. But damn, most of them came
out good. You need to experiment with different honeys and yeasts
(there are specialised mead yeasts available), as it makes a huge
difference to the end result. It's a slow process, mine would sit for
at least 18 months before I'd consider using it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:
> Â It's not the temps , it's finding time . And well , I want to make
> some mead too , and I haven't harvested any honey yet this year . I
> figger if I'm setting up the wine-making stuff it ain't gonna be for
> just one jug .

If you're setting up to make large amounts of wine, why not
set up a still to take that wine to the next step?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hank Rogers wrote

> Unless you're running a very good air conditioner, it's been too
> damn hot for fermenting wine or beer lately anyway. It will ferment
> very fast, but I think the taste isn't as good as at more normal temps.

That was probably my problem many years ago when I made
wine for a few months. It was supposed to slowly ferment
over many days but every single time, it was overdone just
overnight. Alcohol content up near 18% and had killed off
the yeast. Just overnight!

House temps were about 70F. Must have been too hot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

> Last week I posted that my friend's white wine was not fermenting. It has now started to ferment. It took much longer than usual. He did not add more yeast though. I was talking to him today, and he said that back in Hungary, they never added yeast to get wine going. It just started to cook on it's own. He said that adding yeast was new to him, when he came to Canada. I always helped my dad and grandfather make wine, and even here I cannot remember them adding yeast. They added sugar to juice pressed from Ontario, Canada grapes, but no sugar to the Californian grapes.

Yeah, natural grapes or any other fruit has enough sugar for a
good wine. Really no need to ever add sugar. As far a not adding
yeast, wild yeast might be good or not. He could end up with a
wine vinegar. Wine makers add a certain known yeast, then set up
a little gadget to let the co2 out yet keep fresh air from
getting in. The fresh air coming back in is filtered in
water...like a bong that the potheads use. I made one for mine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 2, 2019 at 10:52:06 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
> Last week I posted that my friend's white wine was not fermenting. It has now started to ferment. It took much longer than usual. He did not add more yeast though. I was talking to him today, and he said that back in Hungary, they never added yeast to get wine going. It just started to cook on it's own. He said that adding yeast was new to him, when he came to Canada. I always helped my dad and grandfather make wine, and even here I cannot remember them adding yeast. They added sugar to juice pressed from Ontario, Canada grapes, but no sugar to the Californian grapes.

The local microorganisms in the air can vary greatly in different locations.. Our cooked rice would immediately start to spoil when it cooled where we previously lived. These days we don't have that problem. The surprising part is that the condo that we live in now is only 50 feet away from the place that had such a dislike for cooked rice. As it goes, it was an excellent place to make fermented rice. For some people, that could be a wonderful thing.

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyl...food-breakfast
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 3, 2019 at 10:06:54 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 2, 2019 at 10:52:06 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
> > Last week I posted that my friend's white wine was not fermenting. It has now started to ferment. It took much longer than usual. He did not add more yeast though. I was talking to him today, and he said that back in Hungary, they never added yeast to get wine going. It just started to cook on it's own. He said that adding yeast was new to him, when he came to Canada. I always helped my dad and grandfather make wine, and even here I cannot remember them adding yeast. They added sugar to juice pressed from Ontario, Canada grapes, but no sugar to the Californian grapes.

> The local microorganisms in the air can vary greatly in different locations. Our cooked rice would immediately start to spoil when it cooled where we previously lived. These days we don't have that problem. The surprising part is that the condo that we live in now is only 50 feet away from the place that had such a dislike for cooked rice. As it goes, it was an excellent place to make fermented rice. For some people, that could be a wonderful thing.
>
> https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyl...food-breakfast

My friend is making his wine in his cellar which by now is pretty cool. He keeps up proper temperature by putting a space heater in the room.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/3/2019 7:14 AM, Gary wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote:
>> Â It's not the temps , it's finding time . And well , I want to make
>> some mead too , and I haven't harvested any honey yet this year . I
>> figger if I'm setting up the wine-making stuff it ain't gonna be for
>> just one jug .

> If you're setting up to make large amounts of wine, why not
> set up a still to take that wine to the next step?

Â* Because there's a federal law against that here , and I like my
freedom ... seriously , I have distilled some wines in the past that I
didn't like for one reason or another . I've probably got a condenser
can around here somewhere ... haven't seen it in years , but I never
throw anything away - just ask my wife .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 3, 2019 at 4:41:17 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:

> My friend is making his wine in his cellar which by now is pretty cool. He keeps up proper temperature by putting a space heater in the room.

My guess is that the initial inoculation of microorganisms would be critical to the finished product. If you're doing it naturally, the local strains in the air can be unpredictable - sometimes wildly so. Well, that's what I figure, anyway. I only have experience with fermenting rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/3/2019 7:15 AM, Gary wrote:
> A Moose in Love wrote:
>> Last week I posted that my friend's white wine was not fermenting. It has now started to ferment. It took much longer than usual. He did not add more yeast though. I was talking to him today, and he said that back in Hungary, they never added yeast to get wine going. It just started to cook on it's own. He said that adding yeast was new to him, when he came to Canada. I always helped my dad and grandfather make wine, and even here I cannot remember them adding yeast. They added sugar to juice pressed from Ontario, Canada grapes, but no sugar to the Californian grapes.

> Yeah, natural grapes or any other fruit has enough sugar for a
> good wine. Really no need to ever add sugar. As far a not adding
> yeast, wild yeast might be good or not. He could end up with a
> wine vinegar. Wine makers add a certain known yeast, then set up
> a little gadget to let the co2 out yet keep fresh air from
> getting in. The fresh air coming back in is filtered in
> water...like a bong that the potheads use. I made one for mine.

Â* Actually Gary that device is called an airlock , and it's meant to
vent CO2 and NOT let any air back in . The first stage of fermentation
is aerobic , that is it needs oxygen to be present . The second stage is
anaerobic , and the presence of oxygen is a problem . You can tell when
it enters the second phase because action will slow markedly . Then you
slap an airlock on it and walk away for 3-6 weeks .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 11:02:55 -0500, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

> The fresh air coming back in is filtered in
>> water...like a bong that the potheads use. I made one for mine.

> * Actually Gary that device is called an airlock , and it's meant to
>vent CO2 and NOT let any air back in . The fir

LOL... "like a bong that the potheads use". That made my morning