Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Red beans AND rice

I finally tried some red beans WITH rice. Meh.....

No biggie!
Although I found S. Carolina rice better than Gulf/Pacific(TM) (Texas)
rice.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2019 6:30 PM, notbob wrote:
> I finally tried some red beans WITH rice.Â* Meh.....
>
> No biggie!
> Although I found S. Carolina rice better than Gulf/Pacific(TM) (Texas)
> rice.Â*
>
> nb

Â* Odd that you should bring this up , we were just discussing
tomorrow's dinner ... and I decided on Red Beans and Rice ! Even got the
Andouille sausage for it . I ain't gonna tell ya how long ago I asked my
wife to pick up that sausage specifically for this dish . Mostly because
I can't remember ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 19:35:57 -0500, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 9/13/2019 6:30 PM, notbob wrote:
>> I finally tried some red beans WITH rice.Â* Meh.....
>>
>> No biggie!
>> Although I found S. Carolina rice better than Gulf/Pacific(TM) (Texas)
>> rice.Â*
>>
>> nb

> Â* Odd that you should bring this up , we were just discussing
>tomorrow's dinner ... and I decided on Red Beans and Rice ! Even got the
>Andouille sausage for it .

That's not beans and rice. That's beans, rice and Andouille sausage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2019 7:45 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 19:35:57 -0500, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:
>
>> On 9/13/2019 6:30 PM, notbob wrote:
>>> I finally tried some red beans WITH rice.Â* Meh.....
>>>
>>> No biggie!
>>> Although I found S. Carolina rice better than Gulf/Pacific(TM) (Texas)
>>> rice.Â*
>>>
>>> nb

>> Â* Odd that you should bring this up , we were just discussing
>> tomorrow's dinner ... and I decided on Red Beans and Rice ! Even got the
>> Andouille sausage for it .

> That's not beans and rice. That's beans, rice and Andouille sausage.

Â* And you're wrong ! It's a Cajun recipe , something you would know
nothing about . Here's a link ...
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/58...eans-and-rice/
..

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 8:15:27 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

> On 9/13/2019 7:45 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 19:35:57 -0500, Terry Coombs >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Â* Odd that you should bring this up , we were just discussing
> >> tomorrow's dinner ... and I decided on Red Beans and Rice ! Even got the
> >> Andouille sausage for it .

> > That's not beans and rice. That's beans, rice and Andouille sausage.

> Â* And you're wrong ! It's a Cajun recipe , something you would know
> nothing about . Here's a link ...
> https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/58...eans-and-rice/

I had heard that red beans and rice was a favorite of Louisiana housewives
from many years ago and was cooked and eaten on Monday. Monday was wash day
and could take many hours to finish. The beans were started in the morning
and simmered most all day and did not take much attention but would be ready
to eat by the time the husband come home from work.

I had a _cup_ one time many, many years ago and it was absolutely lip smacking
delicious!! The next day I had gas so bad I could not stand myself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 8:15:27 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
>>
>> On 9/13/2019 7:45 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> That's not beans and rice. That's beans, rice and Andouille sausage.

>> Â* And you're wrong ! It's a Cajun recipe , something you would know
>> nothing about . Here's a link ...

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/58...eans-and-rice/

> I had heard that red beans and rice was a favorite of Louisiana housewives
> from many years ago and was cooked and eaten on Monday. Monday was wash day
> and could take many hours to finish. The beans were started in the morning
> and simmered most all day and did not take much attention but would be ready
> to eat by the time the husband come home from work.
>
> I had a _cup_ one time many, many years ago and it was absolutely lip smacking
> delicious!! The next day I had gas so bad I could not stand myself.

Yoose should have worked it off by ripping on da nordic! Eat beans,
get greased up and do that sexy ripping. Get naked except for a flap
style indian garment ... lets the gas pressure out, but prevents
spatter on da nordic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 19:09:47 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>I had a _cup_ one time many, many years ago and it was absolutely lip smacking
>delicious!! The next day I had gas so bad I could not stand myself.

Conflatulations.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2019 10:36 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> wrote:

>>> Â* ÂÂ* And you're wrong ! It's a Cajun recipe , something you would know
>>> nothing about . Here's a link ...

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/58...eans-and-rice/

>> I had heard that red beans and rice was a favorite of Louisiana
>> housewives
>> from many years ago and was cooked and eaten on Monday.Â* Monday was
>> wash day
>> and could take many hours to finish.Â* The beans were started in the
>> morning
>> and simmered most all day and did not take much attention but would be
>> ready
>> to eat by the time the husband come home from work.
>>
>> I had aÂ* _cup_Â* one time many, many years ago and it was absolutely
>> lip smacking
>> delicious!!Â* The next day I had gas so bad I could not stand myself.
>>

> Yoose should have worked it off by ripping on da nordic! Eat beans, get
> greased up and do that sexy ripping. Get naked except for a flap style
> indian garment ... lets the gas pressure out, but prevents spatter on da
> nordic.

I don't know if the is the funniest post of the week or the most
horrifying description. What a visual. Now I have to bleach my brain.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 20:15:47 -0500, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 9/13/2019 7:45 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 19:35:57 -0500, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:

>>> Â* Odd that you should bring this up , we were just discussing
>>> tomorrow's dinner ... and I decided on Red Beans and Rice ! Even got the
>>> Andouille sausage for it .

>> That's not beans and rice. That's beans, rice and Andouille sausage.

> Â* And you're wrong ! It's a Cajun recipe , something you would know
>nothing about . Here's a link ...
>https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/58...eans-and-rice/
>.

If you're going to put a dead animal in there, the least you can do is
reflect that in the name of the dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 9:36:39 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:

> Yoose should have worked it off by ripping on da nordic! Eat beans,
> get greased up and do that sexy ripping. Get naked except for a flap
> style indian garment ... lets the gas pressure out, but prevents
> spatter on da nordic.

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 10:39:41 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> > Yoose should have worked it off by ripping on da nordic! Eat beans, get
> > greased up and do that sexy ripping. Get naked except for a flap style
> > indian garment ... lets the gas pressure out, but prevents spatter on da
> > nordic.
> >

> I don't know if the is the funniest post of the week or the most
> horrifying description. What a visual. Now I have to bleach my brain.

It was graphically funny, wasn't it? Whew!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 11:03:45 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 20:15:47 -0500, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:
>
> >https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/58...eans-and-rice/
> >.

> If you're going to put a dead animal in there, the least you can do is
> reflect that in the name of the dish.

No need; everybody on this side of the world knows it has sausage cooked
in the dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
>I finally tried some red beans WITH rice. Meh.....
>
> No biggie!
> Although I found S. Carolina rice better than Gulf/Pacific(TM) (Texas)
> rice.
>
> nb

I like red beans. I like rice. I don't like them together with Cajun
seasonings though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 21:51:18 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 11:03:45 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 20:15:47 -0500, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/58...eans-and-rice/
>> >.

>> If you're going to put a dead animal in there, the least you can do is
>> reflect that in the name of the dish.
>>

>No need; everybody on this side of the world knows it has sausage cooked
>in the dish.

As long as pigs know to start running when an American wants to eat
beans and rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

On 9/13/2019 7:45 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 19:35:57 -0500, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:
>
>> On 9/13/2019 6:30 PM, notbob wrote:
>>> I finally tried some red beans WITH rice. Meh.....
>>>
>>> No biggie!
>>> Although I found S. Carolina rice better than Gulf/Pacific(TM) (Texas)
>>> rice.
>>>
>>> nb

>> Odd that you should bring this up , we were just discussing
>> tomorrow's dinner ... and I decided on Red Beans and Rice ! Even got the
>> Andouille sausage for it .

> That's not beans and rice. That's beans, rice and Andouille sausage.

And you're wrong ! It's a Cajun recipe , something you would know
nothing about . Here's a link ...
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/58...eans-and-rice/
..
Snag

=====

I have saved that recipe and will try it out. Any more favourite beans
recipes I would be grateful. I have never really cooked with dried beans
and am very interested to try

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

"notbob" > wrote in message
>I finally tried some red beans WITH rice. Meh.....
>
> No biggie!
> Although I found S. Carolina rice better than Gulf/Pacific(TM) (Texas)
> rice.
>
> nb

I like red beans. I like rice. I don't like them together with Cajun
seasonings though.

====

Share some recipes please? I take Cajun seasonings are hot/spicy?

We wouldn't like it either but over the years, if I get a recipe with
that stuff in, I simply live it out))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 12:03:45 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 20:15:47 -0500, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:
>
> >On 9/13/2019 7:45 PM, Bruce wrote:

> >> That's not beans and rice. That's beans, rice and Andouille sausage.

> > Â* And you're wrong ! It's a Cajun recipe , something you would know
> >nothing about . Here's a link ...
> >https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/58...eans-and-rice/
> >.

> If you're going to put a dead animal in there, the least you can do is
> reflect that in the name of the dish.

If I put Worcestershire sauce in something, do I have to say "with anchovies"?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 03:39:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 12:03:45 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 20:15:47 -0500, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:

>> > Â* And you're wrong ! It's a Cajun recipe , something you would know
>> >nothing about . Here's a link ...
>> >https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/58...eans-and-rice/
>> >.

>> If you're going to put a dead animal in there, the least you can do is
>> reflect that in the name of the dish.

>If I put Worcestershire sauce in something, do I have to say "with anchovies"?

If you put a dead pig in a dish, it's a bit strange to call the dish
beans and rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 6:46:20 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 03:39:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 12:03:45 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

> >> If you're going to put a dead animal in there, the least you can do is
> >> reflect that in the name of the dish.

> >If I put Worcestershire sauce in something, do I have to say "with anchovies"?

> If you put a dead pig in a dish, it's a bit strange to call the dish
> beans and rice.

Where do you draw the line? If I fry the onions in a little bacon
fat, do I have to say "Lentil Soup with Dead Pig"?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2019 5:55 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 6:46:20 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 03:39:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> If I put Worcestershire sauce in something, do I have to say "with anchovies"?

>> If you put a dead pig in a dish, it's a bit strange to call the dish
>> beans and rice.

> Where do you draw the line? If I fry the onions in a little bacon
> fat, do I have to say "Lentil Soup with Dead Pig"?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Â* There is no line , Bruce just isn't happy unless he has something to
bitch about .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 06:52:18 -0500, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 9/14/2019 5:55 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 6:46:20 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 03:39:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>>> If you put a dead pig in a dish, it's a bit strange to call the dish
>>> beans and rice.

>> Where do you draw the line? If I fry the onions in a little bacon
>> fat, do I have to say "Lentil Soup with Dead Pig"?
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Â* There is no line , Bruce just isn't happy unless he has something to
>bitch about .

Oh don't be so negative all the time, Snaggie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> If you're going to put a dead animal in there, the least you can do is
> reflect that in the name of the dish.

Also decorate your dining room table with a centerpiece
consisting of a few balloons, vase of flowers, a tiny cross and a
couple of small teddy bears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2019 1:23 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 21:51:18 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 11:03:45 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

>>> If you're going to put a dead animal in there, the least you can do is
>>> reflect that in the name of the dish.
>>>

>> No need; everybody on this side of the world knows it has sausage cooked
>> in the dish.

> As long as pigs know to start running when an American wants to eat
> beans and rice.

Some can run. Others limp as they had a leg amputated to make ham.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 12:03:45 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 20:15:47 -0500, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:
>
> >On 9/13/2019 7:45 PM, Bruce wrote:

> >> That's not beans and rice. That's beans, rice and Andouille sausage.

> > Â* And you're wrong ! It's a Cajun recipe , something you would know
> >nothing about . Here's a link ...
> >https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/58...eans-and-rice/
> >.

> If you're going to put a dead animal in there, the least you can do is
> reflect that in the name of the dish.

Why? It's not like we care enough about vegetarians to warn them.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2019 7:30 PM, notbob wrote:
> I finally tried some red beans WITH rice.Â* Meh.....
>
> No biggie!
> Although I found S. Carolina rice better than Gulf/Pacific(TM) (Texas)
> rice.Â*
>
> nb

Didn't you say you tried red beans *with* rice a few months ago? I
don't eat a lot of rice but I do like red beans and rice. A must is the
inclusion of spicy andouille sausage.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2019 4:30 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Julie Bove"Â* wrote in message ...
>

> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> I finally tried some red beans WITH rice.Â* Meh.....
>>
>> No biggie!
>> Although I found S. Carolina rice better than Gulf/Pacific(TM) (Texas)
>> rice.Â*
>>
>> nb

> I like red beans. I like rice. I don't like them together with Cajun
> seasonings though.
>
> ====
>
> Â* Share some recipes please?Â* I take Cajun seasonings are hot/spicy?

Yes, Cajun/Creole dishes tend to be spicy. No, you wouldn't like them.

> Â* We wouldn't like it either but over the years, if I get a recipe with
> that stuff in, I simply live it out))

Leaving out the spices you'd simply wind up with boring plain red beans
served over bland white rice. Not worth the effort.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2019 12:51 AM, wrote:
> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 11:03:45 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 20:15:47 -0500, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/58...eans-and-rice/
>>> .

>> If you're going to put a dead animal in there, the least you can do is
>> reflect that in the name of the dish.
>>

> No need; everybody on this side of the world knows it has sausage cooked
> in the dish.

Yeppers! It's understood it contains andouille sausage. If you can't
find andouille, at least some sort of spicy sausage is added.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2019 6:55 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 6:46:20 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 03:39:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> If I put Worcestershire sauce in something, do I have to say "with anchovies"?

>> If you put a dead pig in a dish, it's a bit strange to call the dish
>> beans and rice.

> Where do you draw the line? If I fry the onions in a little bacon
> fat, do I have to say "Lentil Soup with Dead Pig"?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

He draws the line at posting about anything he actually cooks and eats.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2019 7:52 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 9/14/2019 5:55 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 6:46:20 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 03:39:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>>> If you put a dead pig in a dish, it's a bit strange to call the dish
>>> beans and rice.

>> Where do you draw the line?Â* If I fry the onions in a little bacon
>> fat, do I have to say "Lentil Soup with Dead Pig"?
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Â* There is no line , Bruce just isn't happy unless he has something to
> bitch about .

Most of us know the answer. Notice he never posts about what he's
cooked? That's because he doesn't. No glorious discussions about
vegetables (raw or cooked) he's prepared for dinner. He's not
interested in food or cooking.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2019 9:50 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 12:03:45 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 20:15:47 -0500, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:

>>> Â* And you're wrong ! It's a Cajun recipe , something you would know
>>> nothing about . Here's a link ...
>>> https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/58...eans-and-rice/
>>> .

>> If you're going to put a dead animal in there, the least you can do is
>> reflect that in the name of the dish.

> Why? It's not like we care enough about vegetarians to warn them.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Anyone who doesn't know how to make spicy red beans and rice sans any
form of meat has never tried. Has never looked up any recipes. (It's
all about spices.) He doesn't cook. Just bitches about meat.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-14 11:53 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/14/2019 7:52 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

>> Â*Â* There is no line , Bruce just isn't happy unless he has something
>> to bitch about .
>>

> Most of us know the answer.Â* Notice he never posts about what he's
> cooked?Â* That's because he doesn't.Â* No glorious discussions about
> vegetables (raw or cooked) he's prepared for dinner.Â* He's not
> interested in food or cooking.

Nope. He is just here to snipe at everyone. He is childish enough to
nymshift to try to get past all the twit filters he knows he is in, a
person who does that is a shining example of a self acknowledged loser.
Now he is going to blow a fuse, torn between ignoring this comment to
prove me wrong or to nymshift and respond and to prove me right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2019 7:26 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Some can run.Â* Others limp as they had a leg amputated to make ham.

My "red beans" included "ham" AND "Andouille". It was quite strong,
which is why I included rice.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 12:00:54 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

> Anyone who doesn't know how to make spicy red beans and rice sans any
> form of meat has never tried. Has never looked up any recipes. (It's
> all about spices.) He doesn't cook. Just bitches about meat.

To show that although I don't terribly often post about what I'm cooking,
at least I'm not Bruce:

A double batch of pizza dough is just about done with the ferment stage.
Then into the fridge overnight to develop some good flavor. Pizza for
dinner tomorrow.

Tonight, I have no idea. Once the pizza dough is in the fridge, I'll
go to the grocery store and see what looks good.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2019 2:27 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> Â* I have saved that recipe and will try it out.Â* Any more favourite
> beans recipes I would be grateful.Â* I have never really cooked with
> dried beans and am very interested to try

There are several schools of thought on the subject. Soak yer beans AND
"don't" soak yer beans. Red "kidney" beans vs small red beans,
pressure cooked vs non-pressure cooked, etc.

Because of my high elevation (8K ft elev), I don't soak mine and still
they take approx. 6 hrs to cook. BUT, I didn't soak 'em when I still
lived on CA and they only took 2 hrs to cook.

OTOH, I've also tasted Great Northerns that WERE soaked overnight and
cooked at this high elev. Came out great!

I don't use my pressure cooker, cuz the 'texture' is wrong.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2019 7:00 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 06:52:18 -0500, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:

>>> Where do you draw the line? If I fry the onions in a little bacon
>>> fat, do I have to say "Lentil Soup with Dead Pig"?
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> Â* There is no line , Bruce just isn't happy unless he has something to
>> bitch about .

> Oh don't be so negative all the time, Snaggie.

Â* You're not likely to meet a less negative person than me Bwooosie .
It's just that I call a prick a prick - and you're a prick . If not ,
you're doing a damn fine imitation of one !

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-14 8:49 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/14/2019 4:30 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Julie Bove"Â* wrote in message ...
>>

>> "notbob" > wrote in message
>>> I finally tried some red beans WITH rice.Â* Meh.....
>>>
>>> No biggie!
>>> Although I found S. Carolina rice better than Gulf/Pacific(TM)
>>> (Texas) rice.Â*
>>>
>>> nb

>> I like red beans. I like rice. I don't like them together with Cajun
>> seasonings though.
>>
>> ====
>>
>> Â*Â* Share some recipes please?Â* I take Cajun seasonings are hot/spicy?
>>

> Yes, Cajun/Creole dishes tend to be spicy.Â* No, you wouldn't like them.
>
>> Â*Â* We wouldn't like it either but over the years, if I get a recipe
>> with that stuff in, I simply live it out))
>>

> Leaving out the spices you'd simply wind up with boring plain red beans
> served over bland white rice.Â* Not worth the effort.
>
> Jill

Not the way our Jamaican nanny used to serve it. Cooked with coconut
milk. Only she called it peas with rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 6:52:16 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

> Â* There is no line , Bruce just isn't happy unless he has something to
> bitch about .

BINGO!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-14, jmcquown > wrote:

> Didn't you say you tried red beans *with* rice a few months ago?

No. I sed I finally tried some rice (plain, with butter, S&P). It was that
SC rice (better'n Texas rice). I never tried it with red beans. This
was a first.

> A must is the inclusion of spicy andouille sausage.

Andouille is quite common, hereabouts. Mine has it!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 9:49:30 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> On 9/14/2019 4:30 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > Â* Share some recipes please?Â* I take Cajun seasonings are hot/spicy?
> >

> Yes, Cajun/Creole dishes tend to be spicy. No, you wouldn't like them.
>
> > Â* We wouldn't like it either but over the years, if I get a recipe with
> > that stuff in, I simply live it out))
> >

> Leaving out the spices you'd simply wind up with boring plain red beans
> served over bland white rice. Not worth the effort.
>
> Jill

Yes, I wouldn't even bother trying to replicate something that will be nothing
like the intended dish. She should just open a can of pork and beans and
dump it over cooked rice and call it a day. Reading her posts of what she
'cooks' sounds just like unseasoned bland, boring, and probably pureed nursing
home food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote in message ...

On 9/14/2019 2:27 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> I have saved that recipe and will try it out. Any more favourite
> beans recipes I would be grateful. I have never really cooked with
> dried beans and am very interested to try

There are several schools of thought on the subject. Soak yer beans AND
"don't" soak yer beans. Red "kidney" beans vs small red beans,
pressure cooked vs non-pressure cooked, etc.

Because of my high elevation (8K ft elev), I don't soak mine and still
they take approx. 6 hrs to cook. BUT, I didn't soak 'em when I still
lived on CA and they only took 2 hrs to cook.

OTOH, I've also tasted Great Northerns that WERE soaked overnight and
cooked at this high elev. Came out great!

I don't use my pressure cooker, cuz the 'texture' is wrong.

nb

=====

Thank you. So, in my case, what would you suggest as a starter?