Old 13-09-2019, 04:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default National Fried Rice Day

I heard this mentioned on the news this morning. Funny too as I
planned to make some today anyway. I just now turned off the
stove and have made 3 cups rice (cooked) to be used for fried
rice later.

Old 13-09-2019, 05:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

I heard this mentioned on the news this morning. Funny too as I
planned to make some today anyway. I just now turned off the
stove and have made 3 cups rice (cooked) to be used for fried
rice later.

====

Nice We like fried rice with various additions

Old 13-09-2019, 08:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Btw, one recipe I have (from the children's book "Everybody Cooks Rice") calls for cold cooked rice. Whatever for, when you're just going to heat it up again, according to the recipe?

Lenona.

Old 13-09-2019, 08:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
Btw, one recipe I have (from the children's book "Everybody Cooks Rice")
calls for cold cooked rice. Whatever for, when you're just going to heat
it up again, according to the recipe?

Lenona.

When you use fresh cooked warm rice, it just becomes gluey mush. It needs
to dry out a bit so that the grains retain their shape and texture.

Old 13-09-2019, 08:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 3:41:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Btw, one recipe I have (from the children's book "Everybody Cooks Rice") calls for cold cooked rice. Whatever for, when you're just going to heat it up again, according to the recipe?

Because the rice dries out and the starch in the rice undergoes retrogradation.
This makes for a better fried rice.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/02/the-food-lab-how-to-make-best-fried-rice-chinese-thai-wok-technique-right-type-of-rice.html

Cindy Hamilton
Old 13-09-2019, 09:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 5:08:37 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
I heard this mentioned on the news this morning. Funny too as I
planned to make some today anyway. I just now turned off the
stove and have made 3 cups rice (cooked) to be used for fried
rice later.

That's totally awesome as well as simultaneously being totally whacked. My guess is that nobody picks the 13th of the month as any kind of day - except maybe national bad-luck day.

The truth is that you don't have to use old rice to make fried rice. You can use just cooked rice too. That old myth is just something the Chinese say to throw off the white devils. Now you know - please keep that info under your hat.
Old 13-09-2019, 09:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 5:08:37 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
I heard this mentioned on the news this morning. Funny too as I
planned to make some today anyway. I just now turned off the
stove and have made 3 cups rice (cooked) to be used for fried
rice later.

That's totally awesome as well as simultaneously being totally whacked. My
guess is that nobody picks the 13th of the month as any kind of day - except
maybe national bad-luck day.

The truth is that you don't have to use old rice to make fried rice. You can
use just cooked rice too. That old myth is just something the Chinese say to
throw off the white devils. Now you know - please keep that info under your
hat.
===

Agree! I don't have any problems with my freshly cooked rice.

Old 14-09-2019, 12:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2019 5:06 PM, dejamos wrote:

I use brown rice all the time.* It's already cooked so it's no different
from white in terms of the cooking process.

You must be using Uncle Ben's Converted brown rice.

Otherwise, there is a great deal of cooking difference between brown and
white rice.

nb
Old 14-09-2019, 01:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2019 6:34 PM, notbob wrote:
On 9/13/2019 5:06 PM, dejamos wrote:

I use brown rice all the time.* It's already cooked so it's no
different from white in terms of the cooking process.

You must be using Uncle Ben's Converted brown rice.

Otherwise, there is a great deal of cooking difference between brown and
white rice.*

nb

I guess I should have been more clear. I use brown rice for making
fried rice all the time. It's already cooked so it's no different from
white in terms of the cooking process. For fried rice. Of course the
cooking time for cooking both from raw is very different.
Old 14-09-2019, 05:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote in message
On 9/13/2019 5:06 PM, dejamos wrote:

I use brown rice all the time. It's already cooked so it's no different
from white in terms of the cooking process.

You must be using Uncle Ben's Converted brown rice.

Otherwise, there is a great deal of cooking difference between brown and
white rice.

I think he means the cooking process of the fried rice. He did say the rice
was already cooked!

Old 14-09-2019, 05:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
Btw, one recipe I have (from the children's book "Everybody Cooks Rice")
calls for cold cooked rice. Whatever for, when you're just going to heat
it up again, according to the recipe?

It has a different texture when it's cold. I think the other ingredients mix
in differently when cold.