Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default National Fried Rice Day

I heard this mentioned on the news this morning. Funny too as I
planned to make some today anyway. I just now turned off the
stove and have made 3 cups rice (cooked) to be used for fried
rice later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

I heard this mentioned on the news this morning. Funny too as I
planned to make some today anyway. I just now turned off the
stove and have made 3 cups rice (cooked) to be used for fried
rice later.

====

Nice We like fried rice with various additions

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Btw, one recipe I have (from the children's book "Everybody Cooks Rice") calls for cold cooked rice. Whatever for, when you're just going to heat it up again, according to the recipe?

Lenona.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
> Btw, one recipe I have (from the children's book "Everybody Cooks Rice")
> calls for cold cooked rice. Whatever for, when you're just going to heat
> it up again, according to the recipe?
>

> Lenona.

When you use fresh cooked warm rice, it just becomes gluey mush. It needs
to dry out a bit so that the grains retain their shape and texture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 3:41:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> Btw, one recipe I have (from the children's book "Everybody Cooks Rice") calls for cold cooked rice. Whatever for, when you're just going to heat it up again, according to the recipe?

Because the rice dries out and the starch in the rice undergoes retrogradation.
This makes for a better fried rice.

<https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/02/the-food-lab-how-to-make-best-fried-rice-chinese-thai-wok-technique-right-type-of-rice.html>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 5:08:37 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> I heard this mentioned on the news this morning. Funny too as I
> planned to make some today anyway. I just now turned off the
> stove and have made 3 cups rice (cooked) to be used for fried
> rice later.

That's totally awesome as well as simultaneously being totally whacked. My guess is that nobody picks the 13th of the month as any kind of day - except maybe national bad-luck day.

The truth is that you don't have to use old rice to make fried rice. You can use just cooked rice too. That old myth is just something the Chinese say to throw off the white devils. Now you know - please keep that info under your hat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 5:08:37 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> I heard this mentioned on the news this morning. Funny too as I
> planned to make some today anyway. I just now turned off the
> stove and have made 3 cups rice (cooked) to be used for fried
> rice later.

That's totally awesome as well as simultaneously being totally whacked. My
guess is that nobody picks the 13th of the month as any kind of day - except
maybe national bad-luck day.

The truth is that you don't have to use old rice to make fried rice. You can
use just cooked rice too. That old myth is just something the Chinese say to
throw off the white devils. Now you know - please keep that info under your
hat.
===

Agree! I don't have any problems with my freshly cooked rice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2019 5:06 PM, dejamos wrote:

> I use brown rice all the time.* It's already cooked so it's no different
> from white in terms of the cooking process.

You must be using Uncle Ben's Converted brown rice.

Otherwise, there is a great deal of cooking difference between brown and
white rice.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2019 6:34 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 9/13/2019 5:06 PM, dejamos wrote:
>
>> I use brown rice all the time.* It's already cooked so it's no
>> different from white in terms of the cooking process.

> You must be using Uncle Ben's Converted brown rice.
>
> Otherwise, there is a great deal of cooking difference between brown and
> white rice.*
>
> nb

I guess I should have been more clear. I use brown rice for making
fried rice all the time. It's already cooked so it's no different from
white in terms of the cooking process. For fried rice. Of course the
cooking time for cooking both from raw is very different.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 9/13/2019 5:06 PM, dejamos wrote:
>
>> I use brown rice all the time. It's already cooked so it's no different
>> from white in terms of the cooking process.

> You must be using Uncle Ben's Converted brown rice.
>
> Otherwise, there is a great deal of cooking difference between brown and
> white rice.

I think he means the cooking process of the fried rice. He did say the rice
was already cooked!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Btw, one recipe I have (from the children's book "Everybody Cooks Rice")
> calls for cold cooked rice. Whatever for, when you're just going to heat
> it up again, according to the recipe?

It has a different texture when it's cold. I think the other ingredients mix
in differently when cold.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 5:08:37 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
>> I heard this mentioned on the news this morning. Funny too as I
>> planned to make some today anyway. I just now turned off the
>> stove and have made 3 cups rice (cooked) to be used for fried
>> rice later.

> That's totally awesome as well as simultaneously being totally whacked. My
> guess is that nobody picks the 13th of the month as any kind of day -
> except maybe national bad-luck day.
>
> The truth is that you don't have to use old rice to make fried rice. You
> can use just cooked rice too. That old myth is just something the Chinese
> say to throw off the white devils. Now you know - please keep that info
> under your hat.

---

I have actually made it with somewhat freshly cooked right. I say somewhat
in that I did allow it to cool slightly, if only because I was preparing the
other ingredients so it cooled a bit. it worked fine. This was with long
grain rice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2019 2:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "dejamos"* wrote in message ...
>
> On 9/13/2019 1:50 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "tert in seattle"* wrote in message
>>
>> lid writes:
>>> "Gary"* wrote in message ...
>>>
>>> I heard this mentioned on the news this morning. Funny too as I
>>> planned to make some today anyway. I just now turned off the
>>> stove and have made 3 cups rice (cooked) to be used for fried
>>> rice later.
>>>
>>> ====
>>>
>>> ** Nice* We like fried rice with various additions

>> what do you do with yours? I'm trying to eat more rice
>>

>> how does fried rice using brown rice work? is it feasible?
>>
>> ====
>>
>> ** I haven't tried brown rice yet, maybe Gary can help?* I tend to use
>> sticky rice.* We prefer it to long grain.
>>
>> ** I sometimes add shellfish along with the veg, or chicken etc.* It
>> is all good, oh yes and I use a lot of* sauces ie teriyaki, soya sauce
>> etc. I love the flavours
>>
>> ** Other times I just use veg and the sauces and depending on your
>> preferences, it can be very good)
>>
>> ** Do share what you decide, I am always interested in other additions)
>>

> I use brown rice all the time.* It's already cooked so it's no different
> from white in terms of the cooking process.
>
> ====
>
> ** Always good to find what you like best))* What do you add?

Whatever I have around - egg, carrots, peas, water chestnuts, green
onions, mushrooms, snow peas, and of course ginger and garlic. On the
rare occasion that I have leftover meat I will add it but that is rare
as I don't eat a lot of meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dejamos" wrote in message ...

On 9/14/2019 2:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "dejamos" wrote in message ...
>
> On 9/13/2019 1:50 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "tert in seattle" wrote in message
>>
>> lid writes:
>>> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>>>
>>> I heard this mentioned on the news this morning. Funny too as I
>>> planned to make some today anyway. I just now turned off the
>>> stove and have made 3 cups rice (cooked) to be used for fried
>>> rice later.
>>>
>>> ====
>>>
>>> Nice We like fried rice with various additions

>> what do you do with yours? I'm trying to eat more rice
>>

>> how does fried rice using brown rice work? is it feasible?
>>
>> ====
>>
>> I haven't tried brown rice yet, maybe Gary can help? I tend to use
>> sticky rice. We prefer it to long grain.
>>
>> I sometimes add shellfish along with the veg, or chicken etc. It is
>> all good, oh yes and I use a lot of sauces ie teriyaki, soya sauce etc.
>> I love the flavours
>>
>> Other times I just use veg and the sauces and depending on your
>> preferences, it can be very good)
>>
>> Do share what you decide, I am always interested in other additions)
>>

> I use brown rice all the time. It's already cooked so it's no different
> from white in terms of the cooking process.
>
> ====
>
> Always good to find what you like best)) What do you add?

Whatever I have around - egg, carrots, peas, water chestnuts, green
onions, mushrooms, snow peas, and of course ginger and garlic. On the
rare occasion that I have leftover meat I will add it but that is rare
as I don't eat a lot of meat.

====

That sounds pretty much the way I make ours

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:
> how does fried rice using brown rice work? is it feasible?

Works just fine, same as white. I ate brown rice exclusively for
about 2 years until I finally tired of the taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2019 7:17 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "dejamos"* wrote in message ...
>
> On 9/14/2019 2:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dejamos"* wrote in message ...
>>
>> On 9/13/2019 1:50 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> what do you do with yours? I'm trying to eat more rice
>>>

>>> how does fried rice using brown rice work? is it feasible?
>>>
>>> ====
>>>
>>> ** I haven't tried brown rice yet, maybe Gary can help?* I tend to use
>>> sticky rice.* We prefer it to long grain.
>>>
>>> ** I sometimes add shellfish along with the veg, or chicken etc.* It is
>>> all good, oh yes and I use a lot of* sauces ie teriyaki, soya sauce etc.
>>> I love the flavours
>>>
>>> ** Other times I just use veg and the sauces and depending on your
>>> preferences, it can be very good)
>>>
>>> ** Do share what you decide, I am always interested in other
>>> additions)
>>>

>> I use brown rice all the time.* It's already cooked so it's no different
>> from white in terms of the cooking process.
>>
>> ====
>>
>> *** Always good to find what you like best))* What do you add?
>>

> Whatever I have around - egg, carrots, peas, water chestnuts, green
> onions, mushrooms, snow peas, and of course ginger and garlic.* On the
> rare occasion that I have leftover meat I will add it but that is rare
> as I don't eat a lot of meat.
>
> ====
>
> ** That sounds pretty much the way I make ours

Yes, it's pretty standard I believe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dejamos" wrote in message ...

On 9/14/2019 7:17 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "dejamos" wrote in message ...
>
> On 9/14/2019 2:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dejamos" wrote in message ...
>>
>> On 9/13/2019 1:50 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> what do you do with yours? I'm trying to eat more rice
>>>

>>> how does fried rice using brown rice work? is it feasible?
>>>
>>> ====
>>>
>>> I haven't tried brown rice yet, maybe Gary can help? I tend to use
>>> sticky rice. We prefer it to long grain.
>>>
>>> I sometimes add shellfish along with the veg, or chicken etc. It is
>>> all good, oh yes and I use a lot of sauces ie teriyaki, soya sauce etc.
>>> I love the flavours
>>>
>>> Other times I just use veg and the sauces and depending on your
>>> preferences, it can be very good)
>>>
>>> Do share what you decide, I am always interested in other
>>> additions)
>>>

>> I use brown rice all the time. It's already cooked so it's no different
>> from white in terms of the cooking process.
>>
>> ====
>>
>> Always good to find what you like best)) What do you add?
>>

> Whatever I have around - egg, carrots, peas, water chestnuts, green
> onions, mushrooms, snow peas, and of course ginger and garlic. On the
> rare occasion that I have leftover meat I will add it but that is rare
> as I don't eat a lot of meat.
>
> ====
>
> That sounds pretty much the way I make ours

Yes, it's pretty standard I believe.

===

Heh I can believe it although I didn't actually know <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-14, dejamos > wrote:

> Of course the cooking time for cooking both from raw is very
> different.

Can't argue with that!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 08:43:12 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>tert in seattle wrote:
>> how does fried rice using brown rice work? is it feasible?

>Works just fine, same as white. I ate brown rice exclusively for
>about 2 years until I finally tired of the taste.

Duh! Who wouldn't get tired of eating the same thing exclusively for 2
years? Did you buy 100 kilos at a discount?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-14, dejamos wrote:

> Of course the cooking time for cooking both from raw is very
> different.

There's nothing national about brown fly lice unless yoose live in
Bothel, WA... and yoose a gardener.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 7:00:17 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message
> > On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 5:08:37 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> >> I heard this mentioned on the news this morning. Funny too as I
> >> planned to make some today anyway. I just now turned off the
> >> stove and have made 3 cups rice (cooked) to be used for fried
> >> rice later.

> > That's totally awesome as well as simultaneously being totally whacked. My
> > guess is that nobody picks the 13th of the month as any kind of day -
> > except maybe national bad-luck day.
> >
> > The truth is that you don't have to use old rice to make fried rice. You
> > can use just cooked rice too. That old myth is just something the Chinese
> > say to throw off the white devils. Now you know - please keep that info
> > under your hat.

> ---
>
> I have actually made it with somewhat freshly cooked right. I say somewhat
> in that I did allow it to cool slightly, if only because I was preparing the
> other ingredients so it cooled a bit. it worked fine. This was with long
> grain rice.

Hawaii loves fried rice. The most popular kind is kim chee fried rice. We eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The kim chee fried rice prepared over here is a little lighter and sweeter than what you'd find on the mainland. I believe that Hawaii style kim chee fried rice would be popular on the mainland but most of the kim chee fried rice served on the mainland would be the hardcore Korean restaurant stuff.

We use medium grain rice for fried rice. The Chinese would use long grain rice. My guess is that most of the fried rice on the mainland is made with long grain rice. Fried rice is a very complex subject.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 16:01:13 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 7:00:17 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> >
>> > That's totally awesome as well as simultaneously being totally whacked. My
>> > guess is that nobody picks the 13th of the month as any kind of day -
>> > except maybe national bad-luck day.
>> >
>> > The truth is that you don't have to use old rice to make fried rice. You
>> > can use just cooked rice too. That old myth is just something the Chinese
>> > say to throw off the white devils. Now you know - please keep that info
>> > under your hat.

>> ---
>>
>> I have actually made it with somewhat freshly cooked right. I say somewhat
>> in that I did allow it to cool slightly, if only because I was preparing the
>> other ingredients so it cooled a bit. it worked fine. This was with long
>> grain rice.

>Hawaii loves fried rice.

Blanket Statement Man now thinks Hawaii is one entity.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 7:00:17 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> That's totally awesome as well as simultaneously being totally whacked. My
>>> guess is that nobody picks the 13th of the month as any kind of day -
>>> except maybe national bad-luck day.
>>>
>>> The truth is that you don't have to use old rice to make fried rice. You
>>> can use just cooked rice too. That old myth is just something the Chinese
>>> say to throw off the white devils. Now you know - please keep that info
>>> under your hat.

>> ---
>>
>> I have actually made it with somewhat freshly cooked right. I say somewhat
>> in that I did allow it to cool slightly, if only because I was preparing the
>> other ingredients so it cooled a bit. it worked fine. This was with long
>> grain rice.

> Hawaii loves fried rice. The most popular kind is kim chee fried rice. We eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The kim chee fried rice prepared over here is a little lighter and sweeter than what you'd find on the mainland. I believe that Hawaii style kim chee fried rice would be popular on the mainland but most of the kim chee fried rice served on the mainland would be the hardcore Korean restaurant stuff.
>
> We use medium grain rice for fried rice. The Chinese would use long grain rice. My guess is that most of the fried rice on the mainland is made with long grain rice. Fried rice is a very complex subject.

Yep, when dealing with dinks on rocks, the mainland honkeys find
everything complicated. They are just too stupid to understand.

To them, it's just rice, to the guys on rocks, it's so complex, with
many layers of learning required to understand the grain of rice.

It takes a lifetime to learn about rice,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

We use medium grain rice for fried rice. The Chinese would use long grain
rice. My guess is that most of the fried rice on the mainland is made with
long grain rice. Fried rice is a very complex subject.

=====

As you know, I use short grain rice, the same as the one we use for rice
pudding. The packs of Sushi rice I are also short grain rice. Is yours?
I guess I have only seen short or long grain rice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> We use medium grain rice for fried rice. The Chinese would use long grain
> rice. My guess is that most of the fried rice on the mainland is made with
> long grain rice. Fried rice is a very complex subject.
>
> =====
>
> As you know, I use short grain rice, the same as the one we use for rice
> pudding. The packs of Sushi rice I are also short grain rice. Is yours?
> I guess I have only seen short or long grain rice.

I don't see fried rice as some complex thing. It's basically add
anything that sounds good to you. Same as a pizza. All are
different

I always use long grain rice and all-purpose flour for various
meals. All turn out fine here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> We use medium grain rice for fried rice. The Chinese would use long grain
> rice. My guess is that most of the fried rice on the mainland is made with
> long grain rice. Fried rice is a very complex subject.
>
> =====
>
> As you know, I use short grain rice, the same as the one we use for
> rice
> pudding. The packs of Sushi rice I are also short grain rice. Is yours?
> I guess I have only seen short or long grain rice.

I don't see fried rice as some complex thing. It's basically add
anything that sounds good to you. Same as a pizza. All are
different

I always use long grain rice and all-purpose flour for various
meals. All turn out fine here.

====

I always used long grain in the past, but once I tried the short grain
... we prefer it

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019, tert in seattle wrote:

> how does fried rice using brown rice work? is it feasible?

why not??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 10:05:45 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>

> We use medium grain rice for fried rice. The Chinese would use long grain
> rice. My guess is that most of the fried rice on the mainland is made with
> long grain rice. Fried rice is a very complex subject.
>
> =====
>
> As you know, I use short grain rice, the same as the one we use for rice
> pudding. The packs of Sushi rice I are also short grain rice. Is yours?
> I guess I have only seen short or long grain rice.

Sushi and musubi are made with short/medium grain rice. Beats me what the difference is between short and medium grain rice. My guess is that, for practical purposes, they are the same. My guess is that your daughter in China is eating a lot of long grain rice. I don't have a clue why the Chinese favor that stuff. It's almost impossible to eat with chopsticks.

The locals here buy short grain rice in 15/20 lb bags. My favorite brand of rice is whatever brand is selling for cheap. My mother-in-law would favor the high priced premium rice. I can't tell the difference but that could be due to the fact that I'm just a commoner-type person.

As far as brown rice goes, I'm surprised to see Asians eating the rice that used to be associated with white counter-culture hippy dudes into yoga, macrobiotic diets, and natural living. My son bought some pre-cooked bowls of brown rice. It's okay, I guess. I shouldn't be eating any color of rice anyway.

Namaste!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>On Fri, 13 Sep 2019, tert in seattle wrote:
>>
>> how does fried rice using brown rice work? is it feasible?
>>

>why not??

just making conversation

===

)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 10:05:45 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>

> We use medium grain rice for fried rice. The Chinese would use long grain
> rice. My guess is that most of the fried rice on the mainland is made with
> long grain rice. Fried rice is a very complex subject.
>
> =====
>
> As you know, I use short grain rice, the same as the one we use for
> rice
> pudding. The packs of Sushi rice I are also short grain rice. Is yours?
> I guess I have only seen short or long grain rice.

Sushi and musubi are made with short/medium grain rice. Beats me what the
difference is between short and medium grain rice. My guess is that, for
practical purposes, they are the same. My guess is that your daughter in
China is eating a lot of long grain rice. I don't have a clue why the
Chinese favor that stuff. It's almost impossible to eat with chopsticks.

The locals here buy short grain rice in 15/20 lb bags. My favorite brand of
rice is whatever brand is selling for cheap. My mother-in-law would favor
the high priced premium rice. I can't tell the difference but that could be
due to the fact that I'm just a commoner-type person.

As far as brown rice goes, I'm surprised to see Asians eating the rice that
used to be associated with white counter-culture hippy dudes into yoga,
macrobiotic diets, and natural living. My son bought some pre-cooked bowls
of brown rice. It's okay, I guess. I shouldn't be eating any color of rice
anyway.

Namaste

==

To you too <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1"* wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 10:05:45 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1"* wrote in message
>>

>> We use medium grain rice for fried rice. The Chinese would use
>> long grain
>> rice. My guess is that most of the fried rice on the mainland is
>> made with
>> long grain rice. Fried rice is a very complex subject.
>>
>> =====
>>
>> ** As you know, I use short grain rice, the same as the one we use
>> for rice
>> pudding.* The packs of Sushi rice I are also short grain rice. Is
>> yours?
>> I guess I have only seen short or long grain rice.

> Sushi and musubi are made with short/medium grain rice. Beats me
> what the difference is between short and medium grain rice. My guess
> is that, for practical purposes, they are the same. My guess is that
> your daughter in China is eating a lot of long grain rice. I don't
> have a clue why the Chinese favor that stuff. It's almost impossible
> to eat with chopsticks.
>
> The locals here buy short grain rice in 15/20 lb bags. My favorite
> brand of rice is whatever brand is selling for cheap. My
> mother-in-law would favor the high priced premium rice. I can't tell
> the difference but that could be due to the fact that I'm just a
> commoner-type person.
>
> As far as brown rice goes, I'm surprised to see Asians eating the
> rice that used to be associated with white counter-culture hippy
> dudes into yoga, macrobiotic diets, and natural living. My son
> bought some pre-cooked bowls of brown rice. It's okay, I guess. I
> shouldn't be eating any color of rice anyway.
>
> Namaste
>
> ==
>
> ** To you too <g>

..