Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fish

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 06:56:26 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> > wrote in message
>> > On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 00:45:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>> > wrote:

>> > Well first of all you said

>> > Someone that knows gluten free cooking would automatically know that
>> > buying processed fish is a big no no. You insist on having fillets
>> > and that tells me you do not know as much as you think that you do.

>> Why would you think the fillets would have gluten? The fish counter
>> doesn't use any gluten containing items, and the frozen ones are
>> labeled as gluten free.

Oh yes the fish counter most certainly does use gluten containing
items.

>> Why don't you go air fry something?

>CK may be referring to when it is processed in a plant where other
>portions are not GF? Cross over contamination.

That is correct, when done at a mass packaging facility the cross
contamination is horrible.

But besides that there are very large risks at a grocery store's
butcher shop. Almost every grocery store has a deli and a bakery where
flour is used to make bread, pastries, and cakes. This flour becomes
airborne and is spread throughout the entire store. As a fish or any
meat for that matter is processed into smaller quantities there is a
high risk of contamination. Not only that but the actual butchers
department will heavily spice older meats covering them with sauces
and different spices, these meats are cut with knives and those knives
are not always cleaned, hands are not always washed, gloves are not
always discarded between jobs.

>I think it would depend on the level of sensitivity as to if that would
>be a problem or not.

For a person with celiac the level of sensitivity would not matter at
all.

https://www.amazon.com/Jalpur-Flatte...dp/B00HS03X36/

>Although that specific one says processed where wheat is, if someone
>could tolerate minimum wheat gluten, it would probably be fine. I'll
>occasionally get a little for breading things. My friend Susan has to
>eat gluten free (or very low on the whet gluten) and she uses this.

see I could not eat something like that.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 09:33:13 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> I thought the mercury was mainly in the big fish, like marlin,
>> swordfish and the big tuna. Not so much in sardines, mackerels and
>> farmed salmon.

>The tiny fish have mercury and many are eaten by the next larger
>fish so they get all the accumulated mercury that the tiny ones
>have. Then even larger fish eat those fish and on up the food
>chain. The largest fish like tuna, swordfish and marlin eat
>bigger fish that contain all the accumulated mercury so are pound
>for pound very high in it.

It is as I thought:

"Fish is one of the healthiest foods you can eat."

"Overall, larger and longer-lived fish tend to contain the most
mercury. These include shark, swordfish, fresh tuna, marlin, king
mackerel, tilefish from the Gulf of Mexico, and northern pike."
<https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/mercury-content-of-fish>

You've probably been taking for a ride by your country's meat
industry, Gary.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 10:43:15 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 22:28:46 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >"Bruce" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >It's often used in gluten free baking.

>> I see it in many prefab products. Nobody knows what it is (except
>> Cindy).

>It's not evil. Look it up.

Glyphosate was never evil either. Until it was.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 10:42:21 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Salmon is very
>> common here. It has been served to me far more than I'd like!

>I'm not impressed. Salmon is just another fish and overpriced and
>overrated, imo.

Yes, Gary, it costs MONEY. Brrrrrrrr!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 11:44:11 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 9/15/2019 10:42 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> Salmon is very
>>> common here. It has been served to me far more than I'd like!

>> I'm not impressed. Salmon is just another fish and overpriced and
>> overrated, imo.
>>

>Maybe you didn't have the right wine with it. Try a white rioja or
>oaked chardonnay next time.

lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 10:43:27 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Fish, which I always thought is very good for us compared to meat.

>Good variety is what you want. Too much of anything is not so
>good.

Yes, fish and vegetarian. Good variety.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 04:49:49 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> I bought a little bit. I don't think it's good to eat too much fish.
>>>
>>> ===
>>>
>>> Why not? I can't say we eat a lot, but we love it from time to
>>> time

>>Maybe your fish is better than ours. Ours contains mercury. Some more than
>>others.

> I thought the mercury was mainly in the big fish, like marlin,
> swordfish and the big tuna. Not so much in sardines, mackerels and
> farmed salmon.
>
> But maybe it explains why the nights aren't so dark anymore lately.

No clue. Mackerel isn't commonly eaten here. Some people eat sardines but
they're not really popular either. Don't know about farmed salmon. I don't
think ours is farmed but don't really know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 9/15/2019 9:41 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> Restaurant. Neither of us go to those often. He can't, really except for
>>> few places. He takes his dog with him everywhere. Most restaurants don't
>>> allow dogs.

>> Some restaurants are ok with dogs. They serve them on buns.
>>

> LOL, Gary! There's a very small restaurant not far from my house called
> 'The Dog House'. They serve... you guessed it, hot dogs! Also grilled
> bratwurst, Italian sausage, etc. They also serve lobster rolls (the
> owners are from Massachusetts) and fried onion rings. It's a very small
> place with mostly outdoor seating. And yes, they'll let you bring your
> dog. They'll even give the dog a free hot dog.

Seattle has one.

http://www.thedoghousebarandgrill.net/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-15 10:42 a.m., Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Salmon is very
>> common here. It has been served to me far more than I'd like!

> I'm not impressed. Salmon is just another fish and overpriced and
> overrated, imo.

I love salmon and it is one of the least expensive fish on the market.
We have it almost every week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> > wrote in message
>> > On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 00:45:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>> > wrote:

>> > Well first of all you said

>> > Someone that knows gluten free cooking would automatically know that
>> > buying processed fish is a big no no. You insist on having fillets
>> > and that tells me you do not know as much as you think that you do.

>> Why would you think the fillets would have gluten? The fish counter
>> doesn't use any gluten containing items, and the frozen ones are
>> labeled as gluten free.
>>
>> Why don't you go air fry something?

> CK may be referring to when it is processed in a plant where other
> portions are not GF? Cross over contamination.
>
> I think it would depend on the level of sensitivity as to if that would
> be a problem or not.

https://www.amazon.com/Jalpur-Flatte...dp/B00HS03X36/

> Although that specific one says processed where wheat is, if someone
> could tolerate minimum wheat gluten, it would probably be fine. I'll
> occasionally get a little for breading things. My friend Susan has to
> eat gluten free (or very low on the whet gluten) and she uses this.

I know how to read labels. For me, process in a plant that uses ___ is fine.
Made on shared equipment or may contain is not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 10:42:15 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>> >
>> > Salmon is very
>> > common here. It has been served to me far more than I'd like!

>> I'm not impressed. Salmon is just another fish and overpriced and
>> overrated, imo.

> I haven't had it for many years, but I liked smoked and BBQ salmon. They
> sold the stuff in Vancouver area supermarkets. Yummy. That was back in
> 1992. I was back there in 2003, and didn't see any in the supermarkets.
> I don't get it.

Very common here. I don't like smoked or BBQed foods. Here, people tend to
send smoked salmon as a gift so it's available in gift shops although you
might find it in a grocery store around Christmas time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-15 11:04 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/15/2019 10:49 AM, Gary wrote:
>
>> Never had lobster rolls but would love to try them. Those with
>> fried onion rings sound like a very nice lunch.
>>

> Lobster rolls don't appeal to me because it's less about the lobster and
> more about the dressing.Â* Mayo, onion, celery.Â* Served cold.Â* On a hot
> dog bun.

I can think of better uses for lobster, but I think it might be
interesting to try one. Lobster Mac and Cheese seems to be gaining in
popularity. A friend of mine tried it in a local restaurant and loved it.

> Really, I'd rather just have a hot dog.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-15 11:44 a.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/15/2019 10:42 AM, Gary wrote:

>> I'm not impressed. Salmon is just another fish and overpriced and
>> overrated, imo.
>>

> Maybe you didn't have the right wine with it.Â* Try a white rioja or
> oaked chardonnay next time.

Years ago we came across a winning combination of BBQed (cooked on gas
grill) salmon, a simple salad, fresh bread and a bottle of
Gerwertztraminer. It became a Friday standard. I could pick up
everything on the way home. It took no effort to prepare and it was
delicious. After a few years of that I started to wonder how long we
could do that before we got sick of it. We still have fresh fish or
other seafood almost every Friday. We switch up the wine, often an
un-oaked Chardonnay or a Pinot Gris or Pinot Grigio.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-15 11:51 a.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> That is true of a lot of stuff, but a really good lobster roll has
> little dressing.Â* You pay a lot for it, but worth it.Â* Just like crab
> cakes, most commercial stuff is more bread than anything else.
>
> I doubt you'll ever see a good lobster roll away from the New England
> coastal areas.

That may well be. Lobster is much more common around here than it was in
the past and much more affordable. When I was younger it was out of
reach for me. I tried lobster for the first time at a buffet. There was
a limit of 1/2 lobster per person. No reason to put a limit in it. I
would not want a second half. Then I went to the east coast on vacation
and had fresh lobster at Bar Harbor. It was infinitely better than what
I had had before and I thought maybe it was worth the price. We had it
a few times on that time, again in Maine, and in Nova Scotia and PEI.

I occasionally buy lobster and cook it at home. It is a pretty easy meal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> news

> > > Some restaurants are ok with dogs. They serve them on buns.
> > >

> > LOL, Gary! There's a very small restaurant not far from my house
> > called 'The Dog House'. They serve... you guessed it, hot dogs!
> > Also grilled bratwurst, Italian sausage, etc. They also serve
> > lobster rolls (the owners are from Massachusetts) and fried onion
> > rings. It's a very small place with mostly outdoor seating. And
> > yes, they'll let you bring your dog. They'll even give the dog a
> > free hot dog.

> Seattle has one.
>
> http://www.thedoghousebarandgrill.net/

Do you know if the food is good? Looks like a nifty menu to me though
I'd skip the Jalapenos (they do not agree with me).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote:

> for >>> > > > > > > > something or other at

> Those >>> > > > > > > are usually very easy not expensive and do not
> take >>> > > > > > > very long. You can serve any vegetable with it,
> and it >>> > > > > > > is usually delicious.

> yourself >>> > > > > > > and fry them yourself (a double fry is
> best.) >>> > > > > > >

> use. >>> > > > > > >

> hers, >>> > > > it wouldn't be yours.

> that >>> buying processed fish is a big no no. You insist on having
> fillets >>> and that tells me you do not know as much as you think
> that you do.
> > >
> > > Why would you think the fillets would have gluten? The fish
> > > counter doesn't use any gluten containing items, and the frozen
> > > ones are labeled as gluten free.
> > >
> > > Why don't you go air fry something?

> > CK may be referring to when it is processed in a plant where other
> > portions are not GF? Cross over contamination.
> >
> > I think it would depend on the level of sensitivity as to if that
> > would be a problem or not.

https://www.amazon.com/Jalpur-Flatte...dp/B00HS03X36/

> > Although that specific one says processed where wheat is, if someone
> > could tolerate minimum wheat gluten, it would probably be fine.
> > I'll occasionally get a little for breading things. My friend
> > Susan has to eat gluten free (or very low on the wheat gluten) and
> > she uses this.

> I know how to read labels. For me, process in a plant that uses ___
> is fine. Made on shared equipment or may contain is not.

I think it also depends on the level of sensitivity. Any at all is too
much if diagnosed with Celiac disease, but there's quite a few who
claim they just feel 'not up to snuff' if they eat bread and other high
wheat gluten things. Requires more than a trace amount for them to
have an issue.

My friend Susan's level tolerates a modicum of wheat hence for her, a
modicum transfer is acceptable. She also tolerates Einkorn and Spelt
fine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 14:44:09 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 04:49:49 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>Maybe your fish is better than ours. Ours contains mercury. Some more than
>>>others.

>> I thought the mercury was mainly in the big fish, like marlin,
>> swordfish and the big tuna. Not so much in sardines, mackerels and
>> farmed salmon.
>>
>> But maybe it explains why the nights aren't so dark anymore lately.

>No clue. Mackerel isn't commonly eaten here. Some people eat sardines but
>they're not really popular either. Don't know about farmed salmon. I don't
>think ours is farmed but don't really know.

Surely you can buy salmon farmed in fresh water... assuming mercury is
an actual problem at all. As far as I am aware, salmon is not a
species that accumulates mercury.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 11:44:11 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 9/15/2019 10:42 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> Salmon is very
>>> common here. It has been served to me far more than I'd like!

>> I'm not impressed. Salmon is just another fish and overpriced and
>> overrated, imo.
>>

>Maybe you didn't have the right wine with it. Try a white rioja or
>oaked chardonnay next time.

Salmon is not at all like 'just another fish' anyway. It is generally
more oily and has a different taste to most other fish. What the hell
is he talking about. Maybe he meant to say he just doesn't like it. We
are fortunate back in Aus, we have a freshwater salmon farm only 10
minutes from home and can get it direct and quite cheap. Sometimes I
trade with firewood or lamb.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 17:48:45 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-09-15 10:42 a.m., Gary wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> Salmon is very
>>> common here. It has been served to me far more than I'd like!

>> I'm not impressed. Salmon is just another fish and overpriced and
>> overrated, imo.
>>

> I love salmon and it is one of the least expensive fish on the market.
>We have it almost every week.

We also have it often, the wife never had salmon until she met me, she
loves it, especially a salmon salad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 06:39:23 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 11:44:11 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> I'm not impressed. Salmon is just another fish and overpriced and
>>> overrated, imo.
>>>

>>Maybe you didn't have the right wine with it. Try a white rioja or
>>oaked chardonnay next time.

>Salmon is not at all like 'just another fish' anyway. It is generally
>more oily and has a different taste to most other fish. What the hell
>is he talking about. Maybe he meant to say he just doesn't like it. We
>are fortunate back in Aus, we have a freshwater salmon farm only 10
>minutes from home and can get it direct and quite cheap. Sometimes I
>trade with firewood or lamb.

The keyword in Gary's review of salmon was 'overpriced'. Just like he
prefers water to wine because water's cheaper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 6:40:44 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:

> We also have it often, the wife never had salmon until she met me, she
> loves it, especially a salmon salad.

I LOVE grilled salmon; I guess I like it most any way it's cooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 17:06:41 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 6:40:44 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:
>>
>> We also have it often, the wife never had salmon until she met me, she
>> loves it, especially a salmon salad.
>>

>I LOVE grilled salmon; I guess I like it most any way it's cooked.

Yes, grilled is delicious, probably the best way to cook it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/15/2019 1:56 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> True, we don't have flats, we have apartments. Roommates in my lexicon
>>> don't share the same bedroom. They share common living space and split
>>> the rent and utilities. Pay for separate food. But no, not sleeping in
>>> the same bed.

>> Long ago, I had roommates and we had different terms concerning food. My
>> first roommate and I bought groceries together and we sometimes cooked
>> together. He wasn't so big on cooking though so I often did the cooking,
>> He worked at a restaurant and got occasional free meals and was allowed
>> to bring guests. So he brought me and a mutual friend for free dinner
>> once or twice a month. He did eat a lot more than I did so he would
>> occasionally bring food home on his own. And I grew vegetables in the
>> back yard. We did split the utilities down the middle but we never once
>> quibbled over food.
>>
>> My next roommate was Jewish and kept kosher so he did his own thing with
>> food and I did mine.
>>
>> Had a female roommate. We normally bought our own food but once or twice
>> a week we would cook for the other person. Alas her cooking skills were
>> limited to beef burritos and some sort of Middle Eastern chicken and rice
>> dish that I didn't care for. It was her BF's family recipe.
>>
>> When I lived in Richmond Beach, I had a unique situation. My landlord was
>> a traveling salesman and had 5 different houses. He spent the night at
>> our place once a week. He had a bedroom with a bed in it and nothing
>> else. He would usually go right to bed and leave early in the morning so
>> we rarely saw him. He also sold Amway. We never had to buy cleaning
>> supplies. He kept us supplied with those and he was always dropping off
>> food and wine from weekend parties. We did use the wine but much of the
>> food was suspect because we couldn't be sure how old it was or how it had
>> been kept.
>>
>> I had two female roommates there but not at the same time. We went
>> shopping together. One person would buy the food one week and the other
>> the next. We did dine out a lot in those days so we mostly kept things
>> for breakfasts, salads and soups. The one woman was Italian so we had a
>> lot of pasta when she lived there. I generally did the cooking as both of
>> them were lousy cooks. When they invited their BFs for dinner, I'd always
>> get a call. If I was cooking they'd eat there. Otherwise they'd decline.
>> The one guy said his GF used to try to mask the taste of spoiled food by
>> drowning it in Worcestershire sauce so he wouldn't touch a thing she'd
>> serve.

> Wow, you had a lot of roomies over the years. I don't think I could do
> that. We've had various grandkids living he but that was temporary and
> house guests, but that is only a few days. From now on, it is just me and
> will remain that way.

And I only mentioned some of them. Some were only with me for 1-6 months.
Some got married, some moved out of state or got a better job that was far
enough away that they needed to move.

I got lucky when I got that apartment above the dance studio. $250 a month
and the only utilities I paid for were phone and electric. It didn't have a
washer or dryer and the kitchen was just a stove, fridge, 3 foot piece of
counter top, two shelves and one of those old metal units with a built in
sink.

And yet? It was the best place I ever lived in to cook in. Reason being, the
dining room was next to it and that was a huge, ripen area. I had a huge
dining table at that time. So I did most of my prep work there. I kept the
small counter cleared off, save for my canisters as I did a lot of baking in
those days.

They did provide me with a corner hutch in the dining room. I used that for
dishes and mixing bowls. The living room had built in cupboards so I used
that for casseroles and such. The only issue was that I didn't have a lot of
space to store food. Mainly I kept herbs, spices, maybe a package of pasta,
rice, a few canned goods and some stuff in the fridge and freezer. Even
though I did bake a lot and also made chocolates, I pretty much bought that
stuff as needed, unless I found a good sale on flour or sugar and then it
was stuck on top of the fridge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 9/15/2019 10:03 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Wow, you had a lot of roomies over the years. I don't think I could do
>> that. We've had various grandkids living he but that was temporary and
>> house guests, but that is only a few days. From now on, it is just me and
>> will remain that way.

> Yeah, that's a lot of roommates. I shared a rented house with my middle
> brother for a few years when I was in my 20's. (I'm talking 1985.) When
> he got married I had a female friend who wanted to move to a new place so
> she moved into the extra bedroom with private bathroom for a year. In
> both cases, we split everything down the middle in terms of rent,
> utilities, etc. We shared the common areas of the house. We bought our
> own food (even if I was the one doing the shopping, we each paid for what
> we consumed). It worked out well. I'm with you, though, Ed. I sure
> wouldn't want to have a roommate now.

I would have to say in general, I wouldn't either. However, he feels like
family to me and he has said the same about me. It's just a matter of
adjusting to each other now because we weren't constantly in such close
proximity before and he wasn't always working from home before.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> But note the 3 smilies!!! She's happy! Wonder why?

>> His dammed GF is gone! I very much dislike her. She's not a nice person.
>> She was usually not nice to either one of us. And now I know who to blame
>> for the constantly filthy kitchen floor and the sometimes insane amount
>> of food being eaten. I have no proof but I suspect she is bulimic.
>>
>> He's happy. I'm happy. We can finally just hang out together and have a
>> good conversation without feeling her jealous eyes boring into us. It
>> feels like home again!

> Good for you. Enjoy it.

Thanks! We are!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > Yep, just a room mate that shares the house/apartment expenses but not
>> > the same bed.

>> His dog often shares my bed though.

> I smell a set up Julie. First his dog shares your bed. Next up is
> he claims it's his "comfort" dog and can't sleep without it so
> he'll join you in bed. Few more days, kick the damn dog out and
> it's just you and gardener in bed.

Nice fantasy there, Gary! One of my cats was sleeping with him last night.
We like to mix things up!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
news
> On 9/15/2019 2:04 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Perhaps it's a thing in the New England states?

>> Not that I know of. Never saw it when I lived on Cape Cod.

> Never saw it either. Found this tough:
>
> Fish pie, also known as fisherman's pie, is a traditional British dish.
> The pie is usually made with white, often smoked, fish in a white sauce or
> cheddar cheese sauce made using the milk the fish was poached in. Prawns
> and hard boiled eggs are other common additional ingredients. Wikipedia
> Place of origin: United Kingdom
> Main ingredients: White fish, cheddar sauce, prawns, hard-boiled eggs

Fish and cheese? Sheldon won't like that. But... I do like a tuna melt once
in a while.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 9/15/2019 12:28 PM, graham wrote:

>>> It doesn't sound particularly appetizing.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I can assure you that it is delicious!!

> You may have my share.

Mine too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 17:34:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>>> His dog often shares my bed though.

>> I smell a set up Julie. First his dog shares your bed. Next up is
>> he claims it's his "comfort" dog and can't sleep without it so
>> he'll join you in bed. Few more days, kick the damn dog out and
>> it's just you and gardener in bed.

>Nice fantasy there, Gary! One of my cats was sleeping with him last night.
>We like to mix things up!

No, Jeßus... bite your tongue.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 2019-09-15 10:58 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> It doesn't sound particularly appetizing.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Oh, my stars! I looks for a recipe and it calls for poaching the fish
>> for 12 minutes and then baking it for 30 minutes at 200 C (in a sauce
>> under a mashed potato topping).
>>
>> What did those poor fish to do deserve that kind of treatment?
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> Your comment comes under the "don't knock it until you've tried it"
> category:-)

My elementary school used to serve fish sticks and mashed potatoes. I
actually liked that but, I think it was the potatoes I liked. I can't eat
fish sticks without them. I put a bite of fish on the fork then cover it
with potatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 07:18:20 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 17:06:41 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 6:40:44 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:
>>>
>>> We also have it often, the wife never had salmon until she met me, she
>>> loves it, especially a salmon salad.
>>>

>>I LOVE grilled salmon; I guess I like it most any way it's cooked.

>Yes, grilled is delicious, probably the best way to cook it.

I only like salmon cured as in lox, and canned, otherwise it's a trash
fish... same as I only like mackerel smoked. otherwise it's chum.
A favorite fish is striped bass or halibut. I think swordfish is far
better than salmon, so is grouper. I like shark steaks better than
salmon. About the only way I like salmon is poached.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-15 4:04 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-09-15 11:44 a.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 9/15/2019 10:42 AM, Gary wrote:

>>> I'm not impressed. Salmon is just another fish and overpriced and
>>> overrated, imo.
>>>

>> Maybe you didn't have the right wine with it.Â* Try a white rioja or
>> oaked chardonnay next time.

> Years ago we came across a winning combination of BBQed (cooked on gas
> grill) salmon, a simple salad, fresh bread and a bottle of
> Gerwertztraminer.Â* It became a Friday standard. I could pick up
> everything on the way home. It took no effort to prepare and it was
> delicious. After a few years of that I started to wonder how long we
> could do that before we got sick of it.Â* We still have fresh fish or
> other seafood almost every Friday.Â* We switch up the wine, often an
> un-oaked Chardonnay or a Pinot Gris or Pinot Grigio.

Salmon is strong enough to stand up to a pinot noir. Some assert that a
claret is suitable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > LOL, Gary! There's a very small restaurant not far from my house
>> > called 'The Dog House'. They serve... you guessed it, hot dogs!
>> > Also grilled bratwurst, Italian sausage, etc. They also serve
>> > lobster rolls (the owners are from Massachusetts) and fried onion
>> > rings. It's a very small place with mostly outdoor seating. And
>> > yes, they'll let you bring your dog. They'll even give the dog a
>> > free hot dog.

>> Seattle has one.
>>
>> http://www.thedoghousebarandgrill.net/

> Do you know if the food is good? Looks like a nifty menu to me though
> I'd skip the Jalapenos (they do not agree with me).

It didn't get very good reviews online. I never go to Seattle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2019-09-15 10:42 a.m., Gary wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> Salmon is very
>>> common here. It has been served to me far more than I'd like!

>> I'm not impressed. Salmon is just another fish and overpriced and
>> overrated, imo.
>>

> I love salmon and it is one of the least expensive fish on the market. We
> have it almost every week.

It didn't seem very inexpensive at Winco but then it was prepacked and what
appeared to be large portions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 14:44:09 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 04:49:49 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> I thought the mercury was mainly in the big fish, like marlin,
>>> swordfish and the big tuna. Not so much in sardines, mackerels and
>>> farmed salmon.
>>>
>>> But maybe it explains why the nights aren't so dark anymore lately.

>>No clue. Mackerel isn't commonly eaten here. Some people eat sardines but
>>they're not really popular either. Don't know about farmed salmon. I don't
>>think ours is farmed but don't really know.

> Surely you can buy salmon farmed in fresh water... assuming mercury is
> an actual problem at all. As far as I am aware, salmon is not a
> species that accumulates mercury.

I have no clue. Never looked for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 11:44:11 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> I'm not impressed. Salmon is just another fish and overpriced and
>>> overrated, imo.
>>>

>>Maybe you didn't have the right wine with it. Try a white rioja or
>>oaked chardonnay next time.

> Salmon is not at all like 'just another fish' anyway. It is generally
> more oily and has a different taste to most other fish. What the hell
> is he talking about. Maybe he meant to say he just doesn't like it. We
> are fortunate back in Aus, we have a freshwater salmon farm only 10
> minutes from home and can get it direct and quite cheap. Sometimes I
> trade with firewood or lamb.

There are different kinds of salmon. Some people like some kinds and not
others.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 23:33:53 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> You mean besides free rent, free food, free laundry service, and
>>> free turndown service?

>> Nope. We have an agreement. What that is, is none of your business. If
>> we're
>> both happy with the arrangement, why do you seem to have a problem with
>> it?

> There's less than a 0% chance he's not taking advantage of you.
> Obviously nobody would approve since it's such a secret.
>
> You know you're getting screwed. And he knows he's playing you.
> That seems to be "The Agreement".

Oh yeah? He cleaned the gutters today and is going to clean the dryer vent
with the tool he bought. And I'm going to take him to the store so he can
buy food. His truck still isn't running.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 6:36:32 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

> Oh yeah? He cleaned the gutters today and is going to clean the dryer vent
> with the tool he bought. And I'm going to take him to the store so he can
> buy food. His truck still isn't running.

Sounds like a pretty good deal for you. Don't pay no mind to these jealous, hateful, people. I think they got mental problems. I found some cheap fish at the store so tonight I made ahi cakes. Delish? You bet!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared..._aiMWpoVJB525C
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, jmcquown
> wrote:

> Lobster rolls don't appeal to me because it's less about the lobster and
> more about the dressing. Mayo, onion, celery. Served cold. On a hot
> dog bun.

The idea of a lobster roll has held fascination for me since I was a
kid. It's a total back east thing that I've always been curious about.
Your description of them is umm...disappointing.
The good news is that I can make one. We have hot dog buns out west,
and I can get ahold of the rest of that stuff too! I thought that there
was East Coast magic involved.
I'm saving your dressing and other ingredient revelation. I can make
lobster rolls more about the lobster. I swear!

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Ed Pawlowski
> wrote:

> Maybe you didn't have the right wine with it. Try a white rioja or
> oaked chardonnay next time.

I don't order wine. All it would take is for a snotty sommelier to ask
me to spell what I ordered and expose me as a fraud.

leo