Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fish

On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 1:49:57 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> > "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
> >

> > "Ophelia" > wrote in message

> >> Much of the frozen fish I found here is breaded and/or seasoned. I did
> >> find
> >> some plain cod and bought that.
> >>
> >> ===
> >>
> >> That is exactly what I always choose

> > I bought a little bit. I don't think it's good to eat too much fish.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > Why not? I can't say we eat a lot, but we love it from time to time

> Maybe your fish is better than ours. Ours contains mercury. Some more than
> others.

We probably eat more raw tuna and big fish than folks on the mainland. It's important to monitor the Hawaiians so you guys know the long term effects of eating toxic, parasitic, fish flesh. When we become worm laden zombies with a taste for human brains, you'll know that it's probably time to cool it with the fish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

says...

> room-mate

> but only

> > > We don't call them "flats". Apartment-mates is just too long.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton
> > >

> > True, we don't have flats, we have apartments. Roommates in my
> > lexicon don't share the same bedroom. They share common living
> > space and split the rent and utilities. Pay for separate food.
> > But no, not sleeping in the same bed.

> Long ago, I had roommates and we had different terms concerning food.
> My first roommate and I bought groceries together and we sometimes
> cooked together. He wasn't so big on cooking though so I often did
> the cooking, He worked at a restaurant and got occasional free meals
> and was allowed to bring guests. So he brought me and a mutual friend
> for free dinner once or twice a month. He did eat a lot more than I
> did so he would occasionally bring food home on his own. And I grew
> vegetables in the back yard. We did split the utilities down the
> middle but we never once quibbled over food.
>
> My next roommate was Jewish and kept kosher so he did his own thing
> with food and I did mine.
>
> Had a female roommate. We normally bought our own food but once or
> twice a week we would cook for the other person. Alas her cooking
> skills were limited to beef burritos and some sort of Middle Eastern
> chicken and rice dish that I didn't care for. It was her BF's family
> recipe.
>
> When I lived in Richmond Beach, I had a unique situation. My landlord
> was a traveling salesman and had 5 different houses. He spent the
> night at our place once a week. He had a bedroom with a bed in it and
> nothing else. He would usually go right to bed and leave early in the
> morning so we rarely saw him. He also sold Amway. We never had to buy
> cleaning supplies. He kept us supplied with those and he was always
> dropping off food and wine from weekend parties. We did use the wine
> but much of the food was suspect because we couldn't be sure how old
> it was or how it had been kept.
>
> I had two female roommates there but not at the same time. We went
> shopping together. One person would buy the food one week and the
> other the next. We did dine out a lot in those days so we mostly kept
> things for breakfasts, salads and soups. The one woman was Italian so
> we had a lot of pasta when she lived there. I generally did the
> cooking as both of them were lousy cooks. When they invited their BFs
> for dinner, I'd always get a call. If I was cooking they'd eat there.
> Otherwise they'd decline. The one guy said his GF used to try to mask
> the taste of spoiled food by drowning it in Worcestershire sauce so
> he wouldn't touch a thing she'd serve.

In my college years, I had various roomates. Generally we kept
separate foods except for the common condiments (It's silly to have 4
jars of mayo!). We'd often shop together to take advantage of bulk
sales and other items that didn't make sense to buy individually. For
example, it was fairly common to bake a chicken on the weekends so we'd
get one of 5-6lbs. Fit our poor college student funds better.

Depending on work schedules, we'd normally have 3-4 of us in the
evening and take turns, often splitting tasks up based on skill levels.
Debra for example excelled at fried chicken. Lisa was really good at
turning a cheap cut of beef into something really good. I'd almost
always have a crockpot ready to go with something. Even then I was
prone to low-meat and high vegetable eating so so I was normally asked
to handle the sides.

One year I had 2 guys and a lady for roomates. The guys were a bit
mystified at the grocery store at first but were both good cooks.
Debra (same one above) and I took them to the local grocery after they
blew 3 weeks of food money on 1 week (T-bone and such). LOL, they were
really glad for the crockpot which I kept stocked up once the food ran
low! They learned though, especially when I came home with a week's
food for all 4 of us for 50$ and it wasn't just beans and rice (grin,
though that was in there too).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Maybe your fish is better than ours. Ours contains mercury. Some more than
> others.

All ocean sea life contains mercury. It's the large fish that
have the higher concentration of mercury. Tuna and swordfish are
good examples. Look at the ingredients on small canned tuna now.
They mention a warning that it contains lead and cadium. Still no
mention of mercury, but it's there.

I would guess that someone that eats fish often should probably
pick the smallest fish available.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>>

>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>>> The only fish I buy other than salmon is cod. Do try that recipe. I
>>> is a huge favourite here
>>>
>>> Can you not buy plain fish frozen and not seasoned?

>> Much of the frozen fish I found here is breaded and/or seasoned. I did
>> find
>> some plain cod and bought that.
>>
>> ===
>>
>> That is exactly what I always choose

> I bought a little bit. I don't think it's good to eat too much fish.
>
> ===
>
> Why not? I can't say we eat a lot, but we love it from time to time

Maybe your fish is better than ours. Ours contains mercury. Some more than
others.

=====

I had to google that and it seems we do! As you say. some more than
others!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2019 1:13 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> jack shit because you are one of those who make shit up
>>>
>>> WTF? I don't make anything up! You can check out my old posts here

>> Julie... please don't feed the gluten free troll.

> If I do feed him, it will be gluten!

Thanks for the laugh!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> I thought the mercury was mainly in the big fish, like marlin,
> swordfish and the big tuna. Not so much in sardines, mackerels and
> farmed salmon.

The tiny fish have mercury and many are eaten by the next larger
fish so they get all the accumulated mercury that the tiny ones
have. Then even larger fish eat those fish and on up the food
chain. The largest fish like tuna, swordfish and marlin eat
bigger fish that contain all the accumulated mercury so are pound
for pound very high in it.

Note: you indicated that you think farmed salmon is safe. You
might want to research "farmed fish." While you're at it, take a
look at your home water supply under a microscope.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> > "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
> >

> > "Ophelia" > wrote in message

> >> Much of the frozen fish I found here is breaded and/or seasoned. I did
> >> find
> >> some plain cod and bought that.
> >>
> >> ===
> >>
> >> That is exactly what I always choose

> > I bought a little bit. I don't think it's good to eat too much fish.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > Why not? I can't say we eat a lot, but we love it from time to time

> Maybe your fish is better than ours. Ours contains mercury. Some more than
> others.
>
> =====
>
> I had to google that and it seems we do! As you say. some more than
> others!!

Just eat smaller fish. Sardines are your "dead" fish friends.
heheh
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Restaurant. Neither of us go to those often. He can't, really except for a
> few places. He takes his dog with him everywhere. Most restaurants don't
> allow dogs.

Some restaurants are ok with dogs. They serve them on buns.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2019 1:56 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> We don't call them "flats".Â* Apartment-mates is just too long.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> True, we don't have flats, we have apartments.Â* Roommates in my
>> lexicon don't share the same bedroom.Â* They share common living space
>> and split the rent and utilities.Â* Pay for separate food.Â* But no, not
>> sleeping in the same bed.

> Long ago, I had roommates and we had different terms concerning food. My
> first roommate and I bought groceries together and we sometimes cooked
> together. He wasn't so big on cooking though so I often did the cooking,
> He worked at a restaurant and got occasional free meals and was allowed
> to bring guests. So he brought me and a mutual friend for free dinner
> once or twice a month. He did eat a lot more than I did so he would
> occasionally bring food home on his own. And I grew vegetables in the
> back yard. We did split the utilities down the middle but we never once
> quibbled over food.
>
> My next roommate was Jewish and kept kosher so he did his own thing with
> food and I did mine.
>
> Had a female roommate. We normally bought our own food but once or twice
> a week we would cook for the other person. Alas her cooking skills were
> limited to beef burritos and some sort of Middle Eastern chicken and
> rice dish that I didn't care for. It was her BF's family recipe.
>
> When I lived in Richmond Beach, I had a unique situation. My landlord
> was a traveling salesman and had 5 different houses. He spent the night
> at our place once a week. He had a bedroom with a bed in it and nothing
> else. He would usually go right to bed and leave early in the morning so
> we rarely saw him. He also sold Amway. We never had to buy cleaning
> supplies. He kept us supplied with those and he was always dropping off
> food and wine from weekend parties. We did use the wine but much of the
> food was suspect because we couldn't be sure how old it was or how it
> had been kept.
>
> I had two female roommates there but not at the same time. We went
> shopping together. One person would buy the food one week and the other
> the next. We did dine out a lot in those days so we mostly kept things
> for breakfasts, salads and soups. The one woman was Italian so we had a
> lot of pasta when she lived there. I generally did the cooking as both
> of them were lousy cooks. When they invited their BFs for dinner, I'd
> always get a call. If I was cooking they'd eat there. Otherwise they'd
> decline. The one guy said his GF used to try to mask the taste of
> spoiled food by drowning it in Worcestershire sauce so he wouldn't touch
> a thing she'd serve.

Wow, you had a lot of roomies over the years. I don't think I could do
that. We've had various grandkids living he but that was temporary and
house guests, but that is only a few days. From now on, it is just me
and will remain that way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> > "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
> >

> > "Ophelia" > wrote in message

> >> Much of the frozen fish I found here is breaded and/or seasoned. I did
> >> find
> >> some plain cod and bought that.
> >>
> >> ===
> >>
> >> That is exactly what I always choose

> > I bought a little bit. I don't think it's good to eat too much fish.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > Why not? I can't say we eat a lot, but we love it from time to
> > time

> Maybe your fish is better than ours. Ours contains mercury. Some more than
> others.
>
> =====
>
> I had to google that and it seems we do! As you say. some more than
> others!!

Just eat smaller fish. Sardines are your "dead" fish friends.
heheh/

====

I will leave the sardines for you, Gary We usually only eat either
Cod or Salmon)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2019 2:00 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> True, we don't have flats, we have apartments. Roommates in my
>>> lexicon don't share the same bedroom. They share common living space
>>> and split the rent and utilities. Pay for separate food. But no, not
>>> sleeping in the same bed.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> But note the 3 smilies!!! She's happy! Wonder why?

> His dammed GF is gone! I very much dislike her. She's not a nice person.
> She was usually not nice to either one of us. And now I know who to
> blame for the constantly filthy kitchen floor and the sometimes insane
> amount of food being eaten. I have no proof but I suspect she is bulimic.
>
> He's happy. I'm happy. We can finally just hang out together and have a
> good conversation without feeling her jealous eyes boring into us. It
> feels like home again!

Good for you. Enjoy it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2019 2:04 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Fish pie isn't really a thing in the U.S.Â* I'm sure many people make it,
>>> but only as a small percentage of the entire population.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Perhaps it's a thing in the New England states?

> Not that I know of. Never saw it when I lived on Cape Cod.

Never saw it either. Found this tough:

Fish pie, also known as fisherman's pie, is a traditional British dish.
The pie is usually made with white, often smoked, fish in a white sauce
or cheddar cheese sauce made using the milk the fish was poached in.
Prawns and hard boiled eggs are other common additional ingredients.
Wikipedia
Place of origin: United Kingdom
Main ingredients: White fish, cheddar sauce, prawns, hard-boiled eggs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2019 9:41 AM, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Restaurant. Neither of us go to those often. He can't, really except for a
>> few places. He takes his dog with him everywhere. Most restaurants don't
>> allow dogs.

> Some restaurants are ok with dogs. They serve them on buns.

LOL, Gary! There's a very small restaurant not far from my house called
'The Dog House'. They serve... you guessed it, hot dogs! Also grilled
bratwurst, Italian sausage, etc. They also serve lobster rolls (the
owners are from Massachusetts) and fried onion rings. It's a very small
place with mostly outdoor seating. And yes, they'll let you bring your
dog. They'll even give the dog a free hot dog.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2019 10:09 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/15/2019 2:04 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Perhaps it's a thing in the New England states?

>> Not that I know of. Never saw it when I lived on Cape Cod.

> Never saw it either.Â* Found this tough:
>
> Fish pie, also known as fisherman's pie, is a traditional British dish.
> The pie is usually made with white, often smoked, fish in a white sauce
> or cheddar cheese sauce made using the milk the fish was poached in.
> Prawns and hard boiled eggs are other common additional ingredients.
> Wikipedia
> Place of origin: United Kingdom
> Main ingredients: White fish, cheddar sauce, prawns, hard-boiled eggs

It doesn't sound particularly appetizing.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2019 10:03 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Wow, you had a lot of roomies over the years.Â* I don't think I could do
> that.Â* We've had various grandkids living he but that was temporary and
> house guests, but that is only a few days.Â* From now on, it is just me
> and will remain that way.

Yeah, that's a lot of roommates. I shared a rented house with my middle
brother for a few years when I was in my 20's. (I'm talking 1985.)
When he got married I had a female friend who wanted to move to a new
place so she moved into the extra bedroom with private bathroom for a
year. In both cases, we split everything down the middle in terms of
rent, utilities, etc. We shared the common areas of the house. We
bought our own food (even if I was the one doing the shopping, we each
paid for what we consumed). It worked out well. I'm with you, though,
Ed. I sure wouldn't want to have a roommate now.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Salmon is very
> common here. It has been served to me far more than I'd like!

I'm not impressed. Salmon is just another fish and overpriced and
overrated, imo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> And in this area, gays
> can legally marry. So now they usually say things like "partner",
> "significant other", or "spouse", depending on circumstances.

Hmmmm... Jill always talks about her 'significant other.'
(not that there's anything wrong with that)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> > Yep, just a room mate that shares the house/apartment expenses but not
> > the same bed.

> His dog often shares my bed though.

I smell a set up Julie. First his dog shares your bed. Next up is
he claims it's his "comfort" dog and can't sleep without it so
he'll join you in bed. Few more days, kick the damn dog out and
it's just you and gardener in bed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 22:28:46 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Bruce" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> Xanthan gum?

> >It's often used in gluten free baking.

> I see it in many prefab products. Nobody knows what it is (except
> Cindy).

It's not evil. Look it up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Fish, which I always thought is very good for us compared to meat.

Good variety is what you want. Too much of anything is not so
good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 10:42:15 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > Salmon is very
> > common here. It has been served to me far more than I'd like!

> I'm not impressed. Salmon is just another fish and overpriced and
> overrated, imo.

I haven't had it for many years, but I liked smoked and BBQ salmon. They sold the stuff in Vancouver area supermarkets. Yummy. That was back in 1992. I was back there in 2003, and didn't see any in the supermarkets. I don't get it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> There's a very small restaurant not far from my house called
> 'The Dog House'. They serve... you guessed it, hot dogs! Also grilled
> bratwurst, Italian sausage, etc. They also serve lobster rolls (the
> owners are from Massachusetts) and fried onion rings.

Never had lobster rolls but would love to try them. Those with
fried onion rings sound like a very nice lunch.

About time for me to deep fry again. It's been years. One thing
always on the list is onion rings battered and fried.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2019 10:42 AM, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> And in this area, gays
>> can legally marry. So now they usually say things like "partner",
>> "significant other", or "spouse", depending on circumstances.

> Hmmmm... Jill always talks about her 'significant other.'
> (not that there's anything wrong with that)

You're the one who keeps bringing up my SO, not me.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2019 10:49 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> There's a very small restaurant not far from my house called
>> 'The Dog House'. They serve... you guessed it, hot dogs! Also grilled
>> bratwurst, Italian sausage, etc. They also serve lobster rolls (the
>> owners are from Massachusetts) and fried onion rings.

> Never had lobster rolls but would love to try them. Those with
> fried onion rings sound like a very nice lunch.

Lobster rolls don't appeal to me because it's less about the lobster and
more about the dressing. Mayo, onion, celery. Served cold. On a hot
dog bun.

Really, I'd rather just have a hot dog.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 11:04:56 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/15/2019 10:49 AM, Gary wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >>
> >> There's a very small restaurant not far from my house called
> >> 'The Dog House'. They serve... you guessed it, hot dogs! Also grilled
> >> bratwurst, Italian sausage, etc. They also serve lobster rolls (the
> >> owners are from Massachusetts) and fried onion rings.

> > Never had lobster rolls but would love to try them. Those with
> > fried onion rings sound like a very nice lunch.
> >

> Lobster rolls don't appeal to me because it's less about the lobster and
> more about the dressing. Mayo, onion, celery. Served cold. On a hot
> dog bun.
>
> Really, I'd rather just have a hot dog.
>
> Jill

There was a recent cooking show, not sure which one. They served a hot lobster roll which was cooked lobster, still warm, served on the traditional bun, and drizzled with drawn butter. That really appeals to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > Salmon is very
> > common here. It has been served to me far more than I'd like!

> I'm not impressed. Salmon is just another fish and overpriced and
> overrated, imo.

I agree except seasonally we can get whole red sockeye from the left
coast. That I like.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 9/15/2019 1:56 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

says...

> > > True, we don't have flats, we have apartments.Â* Roommates in my
> > > lexicon don't share the same bedroom.Â* They share common living
> > > space and split the rent and utilities.Â* Pay for separate food.Â*
> > > But no, not sleeping in the same bed.

> > Long ago, I had roommates and we had different terms concerning
> > food. My first roommate and I bought groceries together and we
> > sometimes cooked together. He wasn't so big on cooking though so I
> > often did the cooking, He worked at a restaurant and got
> > occasional free meals and was allowed to bring guests. So he
> > brought me and a mutual friend for free dinner once or twice a
> > month. He did eat a lot more than I did so he would occasionally
> > bring food home on his own. And I grew vegetables in the back
> > yard. We did split the utilities down the middle but we never once
> > quibbled over food.
> >
> > My next roommate was Jewish and kept kosher so he did his own thing
> > with food and I did mine.
> >
> > Had a female roommate. We normally bought our own food but once or
> > twice a week we would cook for the other person. Alas her cooking
> > skills were limited to beef burritos and some sort of Middle
> > Eastern chicken and rice dish that I didn't care for. It was her
> > BF's family recipe.
> >
> > When I lived in Richmond Beach, I had a unique situation. My
> > landlord was a traveling salesman and had 5 different houses. He
> > spent the night at our place once a week. He had a bedroom with a
> > bed in it and nothing else. He would usually go right to bed and
> > leave early in the morning so we rarely saw him. He also sold
> > Amway. We never had to buy cleaning supplies. He kept us supplied
> > with those and he was always dropping off food and wine from
> > weekend parties. We did use the wine but much of the food was
> > suspect because we couldn't be sure how old it was or how it had
> > been kept.
> >
> > I had two female roommates there but not at the same time. We went
> > shopping together. One person would buy the food one week and the
> > other the next. We did dine out a lot in those days so we mostly
> > kept things for breakfasts, salads and soups. The one woman was
> > Italian so we had a lot of pasta when she lived there. I generally
> > did the cooking as both of them were lousy cooks. When they
> > invited their BFs for dinner, I'd always get a call. If I was
> > cooking they'd eat there. Otherwise they'd decline. The one guy
> > said his GF used to try to mask the taste of spoiled food by
> > drowning it in Worcestershire sauce so he wouldn't touch a thing
> > she'd serve.

> Wow, you had a lot of roomies over the years. I don't think I could
> do that. We've had various grandkids living he but that was
> temporary and house guests, but that is only a few days. From now
> on, it is just me and will remain that way.

Clemson University for me. When I moved out from home, it was to
become the 4th in a 2BR apartment but 2 of them graduated. I found
another place but in summer had to carry the rent alone and it was
tight. I took in 3 roomates in fall (as the students came back) which
lasted until summer then had to move again as the rent had gone up and
I couldnt cover it for summer. Moved into another place where 3 of us
managed rent through summer then off to another place (bringing Debra
with me).

My last year I was able to get a trailer that I could swing alone and I
didn't have roomates. It wasn't much of a place, but it was mine. I
probably top Julie for numbers there but it's all part of working your
way through college.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

> On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 11:04:56 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

> > grilled >> bratwurst, Italian sausage, etc. They also serve
> > lobster rolls (the >> owners are from Massachusetts) and fried
> > onion rings.
> > >
> > > Never had lobster rolls but would love to try them. Those with
> > > fried onion rings sound like a very nice lunch.
> > >

> > Lobster rolls don't appeal to me because it's less about the
> > lobster and more about the dressing. Mayo, onion, celery. Served
> > cold. On a hot dog bun.
> >
> > Really, I'd rather just have a hot dog.
> >
> > Jill

> There was a recent cooking show, not sure which one. They served a
> hot lobster roll which was cooked lobster, still warm, served on the
> traditional bun, and drizzled with drawn butter. That really appeals
> to me.

That does sound pretty good!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2019 10:42 AM, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Salmon is very
>> common here. It has been served to me far more than I'd like!

> I'm not impressed. Salmon is just another fish and overpriced and
> overrated, imo.

Maybe you didn't have the right wine with it. Try a white rioja or
oaked chardonnay next time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2019 11:04 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/15/2019 10:49 AM, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> There's a very small restaurant not far from my house called
>>> 'The Dog House'.Â* They serve... you guessed it, hot dogs!Â* Also grilled
>>> bratwurst, Italian sausage, etc.Â* They also serve lobster rolls (the
>>> owners are from Massachusetts) and fried onion rings.

>> Never had lobster rolls but would love to try them. Those with
>> fried onion rings sound like a very nice lunch.
>>

> Lobster rolls don't appeal to me because it's less about the lobster and
> more about the dressing.Â* Mayo, onion, celery.Â* Served cold.Â* On a hot
> dog bun.
>
> Really, I'd rather just have a hot dog.
>
> Jill

That is true of a lot of stuff, but a really good lobster roll has
little dressing. You pay a lot for it, but worth it. Just like crab
cakes, most commercial stuff is more bread than anything else.

I doubt you'll ever see a good lobster roll away from the New England
coastal areas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2019 11:10 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 11:04:56 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Never had lobster rolls but would love to try them. Those with
>>> fried onion rings sound like a very nice lunch.
>>>

>> Lobster rolls don't appeal to me because it's less about the lobster and
>> more about the dressing. Mayo, onion, celery. Served cold. On a hot
>> dog bun.
>>
>> Really, I'd rather just have a hot dog.
>>
>> Jill

> There was a recent cooking show, not sure which one. They served a hot lobster roll which was cooked lobster, still warm, served on the traditional bun, and drizzled with drawn butter. That really appeals to me.

We could get them when I was in CT. About $17 with fries. Lots of
lobster though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

> There was a recent cooking show, not sure which one. They served a hot lobster roll which was cooked lobster, still warm, served on the traditional bun, and drizzled with drawn butter. That really appeals to me.

Now that's what I was imagining. And again with some deep fried
onion rings and....why not - Let's add a frosty mug of root beer
too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 9/15/2019 10:42 AM, Gary wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >> Salmon is very
> >> common here. It has been served to me far more than I'd like!

> > I'm not impressed. Salmon is just another fish and overpriced and
> > overrated, imo.
> >

> Maybe you didn't have the right wine with it. Try a white rioja or
> oaked chardonnay next time.

Yes indeed, the right wine will fix any meal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-15 8:15 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/15/2019 10:09 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Not that I know of. Never saw it when I lived on Cape Cod.

>> Never saw it either.Â* Found this tough:
>>
>> Fish pie, also known as fisherman's pie, is a traditional British
>> dish. The pie is usually made with white, often smoked, fish in a
>> white sauce or cheddar cheese sauce made using the milk the fish was
>> poached in. Prawns and hard boiled eggs are other common additional
>> ingredients. Wikipedia
>> Place of origin: United Kingdom
>> Main ingredients: White fish, cheddar sauce, prawns, hard-boiled eggs

> It doesn't sound particularly appetizing.
>
> Jill

I can assure you that it is delicious!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-15 8:42 a.m., Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> Yep, just a room mate that shares the house/apartment expenses but not
>>> the same bed.

>> His dog often shares my bed though.

> I smell a set up Julie. First his dog shares your bed. Next up is
> he claims it's his "comfort" dog and can't sleep without it so
> he'll join you in bed. Few more days, kick the damn dog out and
> it's just you and gardener in bed.

Surely you don't believe everything she tells us, do you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2019 12:28 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2019-09-15 8:15 a.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> Never saw it either.Â* Found this tough:
>>>
>>> Fish pie, also known as fisherman's pie, is a traditional British
>>> dish. The pie is usually made with white, often smoked, fish in a
>>> white sauce or cheddar cheese sauce made using the milk the fish was
>>> poached in. Prawns and hard boiled eggs are other common additional
>>> ingredients. Wikipedia
>>> Place of origin: United Kingdom
>>> Main ingredients: White fish, cheddar sauce, prawns, hard-boiled eggs

>> It doesn't sound particularly appetizing.
>>
>> Jill

> I can assure you that it is delicious!!

You may have my share.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

> On 2019-09-15 8:15 a.m., jmcquown wrote:

> > > Never saw it either.Â* Found this tough:
> > >
> > > Fish pie, also known as fisherman's pie, is a traditional British
> > > dish. The pie is usually made with white, often smoked, fish in a
> > > white sauce or cheddar cheese sauce made using the milk the fish
> > > was poached in. Prawns and hard boiled eggs are other common
> > > additional ingredients. Wikipedia Place of origin: United
> > > Kingdom Main ingredients: White fish, cheddar sauce, prawns,
> > > hard-boiled eggs

> > It doesn't sound particularly appetizing.
> >
> > Jill

> I can assure you that it is delicious!!

I think in the US, it's a very North Eastern thing? I think they do
them along North Eastern Canada as well.

The USA is kinda funny in how it has pockets of cookery based on
availability and immigration cultures. Janet UK is correct that 'many
make it' but the % of the population makes it rare if you look at us as
a whole.

It's a bit like across the nation, we aren't really into seafood, but
in coastal areas, that dramatically changes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 10:15:25 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/15/2019 10:09 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> >> Not that I know of. Never saw it when I lived on Cape Cod.

> > Never saw it either.Â* Found this tough:
> >
> > Fish pie, also known as fisherman's pie, is a traditional British dish.
> > The pie is usually made with white, often smoked, fish in a white sauce
> > or cheddar cheese sauce made using the milk the fish was poached in.
> > Prawns and hard boiled eggs are other common additional ingredients.
> > Wikipedia
> > Place of origin: United Kingdom
> > Main ingredients: White fish, cheddar sauce, prawns, hard-boiled eggs

> It doesn't sound particularly appetizing.
>
> Jill

Oh, my stars! I looks for a recipe and it calls for poaching the fish
for 12 minutes and then baking it for 30 minutes at 200 C (in a sauce
under a mashed potato topping).

What did those poor fish to do deserve that kind of treatment?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-15 10:58 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 10:15:25 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Never saw it either.Â* Found this tough:
>>>
>>> Fish pie, also known as fisherman's pie, is a traditional British dish.
>>> The pie is usually made with white, often smoked, fish in a white sauce
>>> or cheddar cheese sauce made using the milk the fish was poached in.
>>> Prawns and hard boiled eggs are other common additional ingredients.
>>> Wikipedia
>>> Place of origin: United Kingdom
>>> Main ingredients: White fish, cheddar sauce, prawns, hard-boiled eggs

>> It doesn't sound particularly appetizing.
>>
>> Jill

> Oh, my stars! I looks for a recipe and it calls for poaching the fish
> for 12 minutes and then baking it for 30 minutes at 200 C (in a sauce
> under a mashed potato topping).
>
> What did those poor fish to do deserve that kind of treatment?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Your comment comes under the "don't knock it until you've tried it"
category:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 10:15:25 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

> > wrote: >>>>> In article >,

> > assume the >>>>> customer wants fish scraps to make fish stock, so
> > they'll include >>>>> heads

> > salmon, raw >>>>> white fish like cod, plus a smoked fish like
> > haddock. No bones.

> > people make >>>> it,

> > > Never saw it either.Â* Found this tough:
> > >
> > > Fish pie, also known as fisherman's pie, is a traditional British
> > > dish. The pie is usually made with white, often smoked, fish in
> > > a white sauce or cheddar cheese sauce made using the milk the
> > > fish was poached in. Prawns and hard boiled eggs are other
> > > common additional ingredients. Wikipedia
> > > Place of origin: United Kingdom
> > > Main ingredients: White fish, cheddar sauce, prawns, hard-boiled
> > > eggs

> > It doesn't sound particularly appetizing.
> >
> > Jill

> Oh, my stars! I looks for a recipe and it calls for poaching the fish
> for 12 minutes and then baking it for 30 minutes at 200 C (in a sauce
> under a mashed potato topping).
>
> What did those poor fish to do deserve that kind of treatment?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

LOL!

I could wrap my head around 200F but 200C is 392F (call it 400F and be
done with it). At least, that is what google says it is!

I grew up inland so other than canned Tuna, fish wasn't part of my
normal stuff. Oh, now and again 'fish sticks baked in the oven' as a
kid.

Fishsticks in the oven was also something I'd make as a college student
for the roomates. Not haute cuisine, but we liked them with my home
made tartar sauce well enough.

I recall one semester being asked to make up a bunch as we hit exam
week. It was simple easy stuff you could take for lunch or eat cold in
the middle of the night when deep in study with little interruption.

The sticks were bigger then and 3 would fill a 'fish stick sandwich'
made of white bread and mayo (plus whatever else might be handy).