Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fish

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 1:10:18 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

> Ooh! Thanks! I think he love this! He loved the Spam fried rice that I
> asked you about. I'm going to make this tonight! Not sure I can find fish
> scraps though.

Fish scraps is hard to come by! My guess is that it was loose ends after cutting up fish for sashimi. I'm not too hip on identifying fish but my guess is that it's possibly marlin, kajiki, and/or ono.

In your neck of the woods, salmon would work swell. When we lived in Washington state, my brother-in-law said that buying salmon in the supermarket was for suckers but not once did he offer me any free salmon or to take me fishing with him - not that I'd actually ever want to, hee hee. Just thinking about sitting in a boat in the middle of a cold lake gives me the chills.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...wX6UMwztBpL7Zs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/13/2019 3:16 PM, wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 17:46:44 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I have very little experience cooking fish mainly because I don't
>>> like it.
>>> My gardener just told me that he does so I said I would try to
>>> cook it for
>>> him.
>>>
>>> I won't buy whole fish because the thought of that skeeves me
>>> out. So it
>>> would have to be fillets. I do know it is easy to overcook as my
>>> mom always
>>> turned out stuff that was rubbery or dry.
>>>
>>> The other issue is that I would need to have something that could
>>> be cooked
>>> and reheated later, because he often has to leave for something
>>> or other at
>>> the time I am cooking it or he falls asleep and is too tired to
>>> eat. That
>>> part should be resolved soon. I won't get into the details of
>>> that but he is
>>> starting another business.
>>>
>>> And what I make needs to be gluten free. I do have asst. gluten
>>> free flour
>>> and a box of gluten free Panko bread crumbs.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? Aside from lemon and butter, I am clueless. I do
>>> remember
>>> making salmon and some kind of white fish fillet for my ex
>>> husband some
>>> years ago, before I had the Internet. I must have used a recipe
>>> but I have
>>> no clue what I did other than to bake it.
>>>
>>> Gluten is the only dietary issue. He's not really picky but he's
>>> not overly
>>> fond of some vegetables like potatoes, and doesn't like asparagus or
>>> mushrooms very much,
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> Grinding fish makes for excellent fishcakes/loaf.... grind with
>> potatoes, add green peas, niblets, etc.
>>

> Really?* Somehow I don't see Julie grinding fish to make fishcakes.
> I wouldn't do that, either.
>
> Jill

All this grinding is beginning to sound like Popeye with his fancy
meat grinder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>

> I invested nothing in it. I am not going to post all of the details here.
> But perhaps I should stop referring to him as my gardener. I think
> roommate
> might be a more fitting title. At any rate, I told him I would make
> him some fish. I'm doing research.
> ===
>
> What kind of fish do you want to cook? White fish I usually batter and
> deep fry but i have a nice recipe for salmon which is good cold if you
> have any left over.
>
> Teriyaki salmon. This is the recipe I use:
>
> https://natashaskitchen.com/teriyaki...g_3F1538200441

I have no idea what kind of fish. I don't like fish and never eat it except
for occasional fish sticks or tuna salad. I did discover that all fish seems
to be really expensive, compared to meat. Salmon is very pricy so I won't be
making fish very often. I did save the recipe. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> The only fish I buy other than salmon is cod. Do try that recipe. I
> is a huge favourite here
>
> Can you not buy plain fish frozen and not seasoned?

Much of the frozen fish I found here is breaded and/or seasoned. I did find
some plain cod and bought that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I have very little experience cooking fish mainly because I don't like
>> it.

> heh heh. Too funny, julie.
>
>> And what I make needs to be gluten free. I do have asst. gluten free
>> flour
>> and a box of gluten free Panko bread crumbs.
>>
>> Any suggestions? Aside from lemon and butter, I am clueless.

> You live close enough to tidewater to buy fresh ocean fish.
>
> Take a fillet or two, spread it with mayo or butter...note not
> gobbed on...the mayo will melt on a fresh sal****er fish and just
> leave a clear glaze. Top with minced onion and a squeeze of
> lemon then broil it for just a few minutes until the fillet turns
> opaque and the onions are slightly browned.
>
> Very healthy and no gluten. He would like it. No need to cook
> any good seafood with a breading.
>
> Also, no need to cook for him if he can't stay home or awake for
> the very short time it takes to cook that.

Thanks! My timing was good tonight. I made the recipe ds1 gave me. He
already ate it and I think he's asleep on the couch. I'll have to ask him
later how he liked it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> [...]
>> >My gardener just told me that he does so I said I would try to cook it
>> >for
>> >him.
>> >
>> >I won't buy whole fish because the thought of that skeeves me out. So it
>> >would have to be fillets. I do know it is easy to overcook as my mom
>> >always
>> >turned out stuff that was rubbery or dry.
>> >
>> >The other issue is that I would need to have something that could be
>> >cooked
>> >and reheated later, because he often has to leave for something or other
>> >at
>> >the time I am cooking it or he falls asleep and is too tired to eat.
>> >That
>> >part should be resolved soon. I won't get into the details of that but
>> >he is
>> >starting another business.
>> >
>> >And what I make needs to be gluten free. I do have asst. gluten free
>> >flour
>> >and a box of gluten free Panko bread crumbs.
>> >
>> >Any suggestions? Aside from lemon and butter, I am clueless. I do
>> >remember
>> >making salmon and some kind of white fish fillet for my ex husband some
>> >years ago, before I had the Internet. I must have used a recipe but I
>> >have
>> >no clue what I did other than to bake it.
>> >
>> >Gluten is the only dietary issue. He's not really picky but he's not
>> >overly
>> >fond of some vegetables like potatoes, and doesn't like asparagus or
>> >mushrooms very much,
>> >
>> >Thanks!

>> If he does not want gluten then you must be very careful on what you
>> serve for him.
>> As far as making a great gluten free fish dish then I would look
>> around for a pan fried catfish recipe. Those are usually very easy not
>> expensive and do not take very long. You can serve any vegetable with
>> it, and it is usually delicious.
>>
>> If you do decide to go with the pan fried catfish then when it comes
>> to breading the catfish just be sure you get a gluten free all purpose
>> flour and mix it 50/50 with a gluten free corn starch. The dish is
>> usually best served with French fries but you said he does not like
>> potatoes, but if he does like French fries then you must buy some
>> russet potatoes and cut them yourself and fry them yourself (a double
>> fry is best.)
>>
>> And the most important thing is if you are cooking a gluten free dish
>> you must wash your hand (or at least rinse) after every time you touch
>> something in your kitchen. Like if you open the fridge to get
>> something you need to rinse or a cabinet you need to rinse. Also you
>> have to rinse every single pot and utensil before you use it. When you
>> plate the dish you have to rinse the plates off and the forks or
>> spoons that he will use.
>>
>> Make sure your condiments are gluten free.....

> LOL. Paranoid much? Also must be sure to cook in an air fryer.

What he says is true. If I had to eat gluten free, I wouldn't want someone
else to cook for me. People are well meaning but don't understand cross
contamination.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 17:46:44 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> If he does not want gluten then you must be very careful on what you
>>> serve for him.
>>> As far as making a great gluten free fish dish then I would look
>>> around for a pan fried catfish recipe. Those are usually very easy not
>>> expensive and do not take very long. You can serve any vegetable with
>>> it, and it is usually delicious.
>>>
>>> If you do decide to go with the pan fried catfish then when it comes
>>> to breading the catfish just be sure you get a gluten free all purpose
>>> flour and mix it 50/50 with a gluten free corn starch. The dish is
>>> usually best served with French fries but you said he does not like
>>> potatoes, but if he does like French fries then you must buy some
>>> russet potatoes and cut them yourself and fry them yourself (a double
>>> fry is best.)
>>>
>>> And the most important thing is if you are cooking a gluten free dish
>>> you must wash your hand (or at least rinse) after every time you touch
>>> something in your kitchen. Like if you open the fridge to get
>>> something you need to rinse or a cabinet you need to rinse. Also you
>>> have to rinse every single pot and utensil before you use it. When you
>>> plate the dish you have to rinse the plates off and the forks or
>>> spoons that he will use.
>>>
>>> Make sure your condiments are gluten free.....

>>LOL. Paranoid much? Also must be sure to cook in an air fryer.

> I just have a feeling she does not know really that much about cooking
> gluten free. It does make me wonder how you relate that to paranoia.
> Do you know what paranoia is?

You'd be wrong then. My daughter was diagnosed with many food intolerances
at age 6. Not celiac but wheat and gluten intolerance. Her symptoms were
skin rashes and upset stomach.

Because my parents and her dad were clueless, I bought her a refrigerator.
Her food went in there. She also had a shelving unit that held canned goods
such as wild rice soup and GF pasta. Her food intolerances extended beyond
just wheat and gluten. That way, anyone watching her would know that any
food found in her refrigerator or on her shelves was safe for her to eat. I
did have more safe food in the house. It was just beyond their
comprehension. They sickened her a few times by doing things like buying her
a lip balm with wheat germ oil. Then forcing her to eat Saltine crackers to
settle the stomach pains caused by the lip balm.

If she had to go to a party, I made her food. She always brought lunch.

For the first couple of years, there was no gluten anywhere in my house. We
all ate GF. My husband complained as he wanted sandwiches and pizza.
Occasionally I would buy these premade for him but he was required to eat
them outside or in the living room and take the wrappers straight outside
when done eating.

I loosened up as she got older because she herself understood what she could
and couldn't eat. I still never baked or cooked with gluten but I did buy
bread and we had two toasters. One for her, one for me. She had her own
condiments in her own fridge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jinx the Minx" > wrote in message

>>> LOL. Paranoid much? Also must be sure to cook in an air fryer.

>> I just have a feeling she does not know really that much about cooking
>> gluten free. It does make me wonder how you relate that to paranoia.
>> Do you know what paranoia is?
>>
>> --
>>
>> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
>>

> This is not Julies first foray into gluten free cooking. In fact, if I
> had
> to put money on whose GF knowledge is greater, yours or hers, it wouldnt
> be yours.

I think so too. I was put in charge of the kids with food allergies at
Angela's school for parties and such. So it's not just gluten I'm aware of.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> writes:
>>I have very little experience cooking fish mainly because I don't like it.
>>My gardener just told me that he does so I said I would try to cook it for
>>him.
>>
>>I won't buy whole fish because the thought of that skeeves me out. So it
>>would have to be fillets. I do know it is easy to overcook as my mom
>>always
>>turned out stuff that was rubbery or dry.
>>
>>The other issue is that I would need to have something that could be
>>cooked
>>and reheated later, because he often has to leave for something or other
>>at
>>the time I am cooking it or he falls asleep and is too tired to eat. That
>>part should be resolved soon. I won't get into the details of that but he
>>is
>>starting another business.
>>
>>And what I make needs to be gluten free. I do have asst. gluten free flour
>>and a box of gluten free Panko bread crumbs.
>>
>>Any suggestions? Aside from lemon and butter, I am clueless. I do remember
>>making salmon and some kind of white fish fillet for my ex husband some
>>years ago, before I had the Internet. I must have used a recipe but I have
>>no clue what I did other than to bake it.
>>
>>Gluten is the only dietary issue. He's not really picky but he's not
>>overly
>>fond of some vegetables like potatoes, and doesn't like asparagus or
>>mushrooms very much,
>>
>>Thanks!

> salmon patties

I saw those for sale. My mom used to make them but I disliked them so no
clue what she put in them. I used to have a recipe for salmon salad. It used
canned salmon, pineapple and maybe almonds. It was good. I lost the recipe
though and can't remember what all went in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 9/12/2019 8:46 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I have very little experience cooking fish mainly because I don't like
>> it. My gardener just told me that he does so I said I would try to cook
>> it for him.
>>
>> I won't buy whole fish because the thought of that skeeves me out. So it
>> would have to be fillets. I do know it is easy to overcook as my mom
>> always turned out stuff that was rubbery or dry.
>>
>> The other issue is that I would need to have something that could be
>> cooked and reheated later, because he often has to leave for something or
>> other at the time I am cooking it or he falls asleep and is too tired to
>> eat. That part should be resolved soon. I won't get into the details of
>> that but he is starting another business.
>>
>> And what I make needs to be gluten free. I do have asst. gluten free
>> flour and a box of gluten free Panko bread crumbs.
>>
>> Any suggestions? Aside from lemon and butter, I am clueless. I do
>> remember making salmon and some kind of white fish fillet for my ex
>> husband some years ago, before I had the Internet. I must have used a
>> recipe but I have no clue what I did other than to bake it.
>>
>> Gluten is the only dietary issue. He's not really picky but he's not
>> overly fond of some vegetables like potatoes, and doesn't like asparagus
>> or mushrooms very much,
>>
>> Thanks!

> It depends on the type of fish... but here's some very basic info based on
> my experience. I often pan fry fillets. Usually a mild white fish such
> as cod or catfish. Without crumbs or a flour coating, season with S&P at
> the very least. Even with small fillets you'll need a wide spatula for
> turning it. Don't let it cook so long on one side that it will split in
> half before you can turn it. Depending on the thickness of the fish, it
> only takes a few minutes on each side.
>
> I do sometimes bake fish fillets. You can do this with a sprinkling of of
> your gluten free panko on top, but you'll need something to it stick.
> Maybe brush some of that eggless mayo on top then the seasoned crumbs. Put
> a little water (or milk) in the bottom of the pan to help keep it moist.
> You already know you shouldn't overcook it. As a *very* general rule, the
> moment it flakes with a fork, it's done. I usually bake cod fillets no
> more than 12-15 minutes.
>
> Also, Ed is right. Most fish doesn't reheat well, especially not in a
> microwave. You might want to time the fish dinners so it can be eaten
> immediately.
>
> Jill

Thanks! Tonight's meal was timed just right. He loved it. So that went well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 17:46:44 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I have very little experience cooking fish mainly because I don't like it.
>>My gardener just told me that he does so I said I would try to cook it for
>>him.
>>
>>I won't buy whole fish because the thought of that skeeves me out. So it
>>would have to be fillets. I do know it is easy to overcook as my mom
>>always
>>turned out stuff that was rubbery or dry.
>>
>>The other issue is that I would need to have something that could be
>>cooked
>>and reheated later, because he often has to leave for something or other
>>at
>>the time I am cooking it or he falls asleep and is too tired to eat. That
>>part should be resolved soon. I won't get into the details of that but he
>>is
>>starting another business.
>>
>>And what I make needs to be gluten free. I do have asst. gluten free flour
>>and a box of gluten free Panko bread crumbs.
>>
>>Any suggestions? Aside from lemon and butter, I am clueless. I do remember
>>making salmon and some kind of white fish fillet for my ex husband some
>>years ago, before I had the Internet. I must have used a recipe but I have
>>no clue what I did other than to bake it.
>>
>>Gluten is the only dietary issue. He's not really picky but he's not
>>overly
>>fond of some vegetables like potatoes, and doesn't like asparagus or
>>mushrooms very much,
>>
>>Thanks!

> Grinding fish makes for excellent fishcakes/loaf.... grind with
> potatoes, add green peas, niblets, etc.

Got no grinder though. Thought of taking my mom's meat grinder when she got
rid of it but have so little storage space, I opted not to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 9/13/2019 3:16 PM, wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 17:46:44 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I have very little experience cooking fish mainly because I don't like
>>> it.
>>> My gardener just told me that he does so I said I would try to cook it
>>> for
>>> him.
>>>
>>> I won't buy whole fish because the thought of that skeeves me out. So it
>>> would have to be fillets. I do know it is easy to overcook as my mom
>>> always
>>> turned out stuff that was rubbery or dry.
>>>
>>> The other issue is that I would need to have something that could be
>>> cooked
>>> and reheated later, because he often has to leave for something or other
>>> at
>>> the time I am cooking it or he falls asleep and is too tired to eat.
>>> That
>>> part should be resolved soon. I won't get into the details of that but
>>> he is
>>> starting another business.
>>>
>>> And what I make needs to be gluten free. I do have asst. gluten free
>>> flour
>>> and a box of gluten free Panko bread crumbs.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? Aside from lemon and butter, I am clueless. I do
>>> remember
>>> making salmon and some kind of white fish fillet for my ex husband some
>>> years ago, before I had the Internet. I must have used a recipe but I
>>> have
>>> no clue what I did other than to bake it.
>>>
>>> Gluten is the only dietary issue. He's not really picky but he's not
>>> overly
>>> fond of some vegetables like potatoes, and doesn't like asparagus or
>>> mushrooms very much,
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> Grinding fish makes for excellent fishcakes/loaf.... grind with
>> potatoes, add green peas, niblets, etc.
>>

> Really? Somehow I don't see Julie grinding fish to make fishcakes. I
> wouldn't do that, either.

I wouldn't. Not unless I was helping out in someone else's kitchen and we
were feeding 200 or something.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
>>> On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 17:46:44 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Grinding fish makes for excellent fishcakes/loaf.... grind with
>>> potatoes, add green peas, niblets, etc.
>>>

>>Really? Somehow I don't see Julie grinding fish to make fishcakes. I
>>wouldn't do that, either.
>>
>>Jill

> you don't need to grind it, you can just flake it apart
>
> Sheldon's got a meat grinder kink

He sure seems to!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Elwood P. Dowd" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 17:46:44 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>>I have very little experience cooking fish mainly because I don't like it.
>>My gardener just told me that he does so I said I would try to cook it for
>>him.
>>
>>I won't buy whole fish because the thought of that skeeves me out.
>>
>>Any suggestions?

> The fish counter in our local grocers smell "fishy" and not in a good way.
> OTOH, there is no smell at our local seafood shop/specialist.
>
> Buy your fish from a real fish shop. Take your time and talk to the folks
> behind the counter. Let them know your limitations and expectations. A
> real fish monger will suggest an appropriate fish, recipe and cooking
> method. It may cost a bit more, but you should get excellent results.

No fish shops around here that I know of. Seattle likely has some but I
won't go there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> removed and the sauce is made. A bit of shoyu, sugar, water, mirin, and
>> ginger, are heated in a pan. The mix is reduced a bit and a slurry of
>> cornstarch is added to thicken the sauce. The fish is added to the
>> sauce/glaze.
>>
>> The fish is placed on a bed of bok choy with a light sauce of oyster
>> sauce, shoyu, water, and small amount of sesame oil. I found a tiny
>> eggplant in the fridge so that was cooked up too. Hopefully, the eggplant
>> was not poisonous.
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...ukKhH4SyGeKo8k -
>> --
>>

>> Ooh! Thanks! I think he love this! He loved the Spam fried rice that I
>> asked you about. I'm going to make this tonight! Not sure I can find fish
>> scraps though.

> Please don't look for anything called "fish scraps".

I did look but of course there were none. I bought halibut. I pan fried it
in one piece.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 1:10:18 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

> Ooh! Thanks! I think he love this! He loved the Spam fried rice that I
> asked you about. I'm going to make this tonight! Not sure I can find fish
> scraps though.

Fish scraps is hard to come by! My guess is that it was loose ends after
cutting up fish for sashimi. I'm not too hip on identifying fish but my
guess is that it's possibly marlin, kajiki, and/or ono.

In your neck of the woods, salmon would work swell. When we lived in
Washington state, my brother-in-law said that buying salmon in the
supermarket was for suckers but not once did he offer me any free salmon or
to take me fishing with him - not that I'd actually ever want to, hee hee.
Just thinking about sitting in a boat in the middle of a cold lake gives me
the chills.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...wX6UMwztBpL7Zs

---

I used to be able to buy cheese ends. I loved them! All sorts of leftover
deli pieces, chopped and put in a plastic container. I made a cheap
casserole with them that everybody loved. I cooked a package of noodles that
are no longer being made. They were called dumplings. Put those in the
casserole, mixed in some veggies, either a can of Veg All or whatever
leftover veggies I had, an onion if I had it, some kind of tomato product,
the cheese ends, then dampened it with whatever wine I had. This was in the
days when I had little money. Bake till the cheese melts. The beauty was
that each bite tasted different because of the different cheeses.

I still make this occasionally but I can no longer get cheese ends here so
it's not the super cheap dish it once was.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 00:43:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 17:46:44 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> So out of character for you.

>>> Of course.

>>> Happy times.

>>> Tell him to eat at a restaurant or diner.

>>Diner? This isn't the East Coast.

> Well, whatever the hell you want to call a place that serves food in
> your neck of the woods.

Restaurant. Neither of us go to those often. He can't, really except for a
few places. He takes his dog with him everywhere. Most restaurants don't
allow dogs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 19:43:57 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx

>>> LOL. Paranoid much? Also must be sure to cook in an air fryer.

>> I just have a feeling she does not know really that much about cooking
>> gluten free. It does make me wonder how you relate that to paranoia.
>> Do you know what paranoia is?
>>
>> --
>>
>> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
>>

>This is not Julie’s first foray into gluten free cooking. In fact, if I had
>to put money on whose GF knowledge is greater, yours or hers, it wouldn’t
>be yours.

Well if she is not gluten free herself then I can promise you that she
doesn't know much about it.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 21:53:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 00:43:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Diner? This isn't the East Coast.

>> Well, whatever the hell you want to call a place that serves food in
>> your neck of the woods.

>Restaurant. Neither of us go to those often. He can't, really except for a
>few places. He takes his dog with him everywhere. Most restaurants don't
>allow dogs.

LOL, OK.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 21:17:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

.. .

wrote:

>>>LOL. Paranoid much? Also must be sure to cook in an air fryer.

>> I just have a feeling she does not know really that much about cooking
>> gluten free. It does make me wonder how you relate that to paranoia.
>> Do you know what paranoia is?

>You'd be wrong then. My daughter was diagnosed with many food intolerances
>at age 6. Not celiac but wheat and gluten intolerance. Her symptoms were
>skin rashes and upset stomach.
>
>Because my parents and her dad were clueless, I bought her a refrigerator.
>Her food went in there. She also had a shelving unit that held canned goods
>such as wild rice soup and GF pasta. Her food intolerances extended beyond
>just wheat and gluten. That way, anyone watching her would know that any
>food found in her refrigerator or on her shelves was safe for her to eat. I
>did have more safe food in the house. It was just beyond their
>comprehension. They sickened her a few times by doing things like buying her
>a lip balm with wheat germ oil. Then forcing her to eat Saltine crackers to
>settle the stomach pains caused by the lip balm.
>
>If she had to go to a party, I made her food. She always brought lunch.
>
>For the first couple of years, there was no gluten anywhere in my house. We
>all ate GF. My husband complained as he wanted sandwiches and pizza.
>Occasionally I would buy these premade for him but he was required to eat
>them outside or in the living room and take the wrappers straight outside
>when done eating.
>
>I loosened up as she got older because she herself understood what she could
>and couldn't eat. I still never baked or cooked with gluten but I did buy
>bread and we had two toasters. One for her, one for me. She had her own
>condiments in her own fridge.

which means jack shit because you are one of those who make shit up
just to act like you are correct, so chances are you know very little

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 21:17:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

. ..

wrote:

>>> I just have a feeling she does not know really that much about cooking
>>> gluten free. It does make me wonder how you relate that to paranoia.
>>> Do you know what paranoia is?

>>You'd be wrong then. My daughter was diagnosed with many food intolerances
>>at age 6. Not celiac but wheat and gluten intolerance. Her symptoms were
>>skin rashes and upset stomach.
>>
>>Because my parents and her dad were clueless, I bought her a refrigerator.
>>Her food went in there. She also had a shelving unit that held canned
>>goods
>>such as wild rice soup and GF pasta. Her food intolerances extended beyond
>>just wheat and gluten. That way, anyone watching her would know that any
>>food found in her refrigerator or on her shelves was safe for her to eat.
>>did have more safe food in the house. It was just beyond their
>>comprehension. They sickened her a few times by doing things like buying
>>her
>>a lip balm with wheat germ oil. Then forcing her to eat Saltine crackers
>>settle the stomach pains caused by the lip balm.
>>
>>If she had to go to a party, I made her food. She always brought lunch.
>>
>>For the first couple of years, there was no gluten anywhere in my house.
>>We
>>all ate GF. My husband complained as he wanted sandwiches and pizza.
>>Occasionally I would buy these premade for him but he was required to eat
>>them outside or in the living room and take the wrappers straight outside
>>when done eating.
>>
>>I loosened up as she got older because she herself understood what she
>>could
>>and couldn't eat. I still never baked or cooked with gluten but I did buy
>>bread and we had two toasters. One for her, one for me. She had her own
>>condiments in her own fridge.

> which means jack shit because you are one of those who make shit up
> just to act like you are correct, so chances are you know very little

WTF? I don't make anything up! You can check out my old posts here or at
Celiac.com. Pretty sure I used the same name there as I do here. The owner
is cool but he hired new moderators and they didn't want me posting there as
I don't have celiac.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

>>> I just have a feeling she does not know really that much about cooking
>>> gluten free. It does make me wonder how you relate that to paranoia.
>>> Do you know what paranoia is?
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
>>>

>>This is not Julie's first foray into gluten free cooking. In fact, if I
>>had
>>to put money on whose GF knowledge is greater, yours or hers, it wouldn't
>>be yours.

> Well if she is not gluten free herself then I can promise you that she
> doesn't know much about it.

Bullshit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Thursday, September 12, 2019 at 2:46:59 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> I have very little experience cooking fish mainly because I don't like it.
> My gardener just told me that he does so I said I would try to cook it for
> him.
>
> I won't buy whole fish because the thought of that skeeves me out. So it
> would have to be fillets. I do know it is easy to overcook as my mom
> always
> turned out stuff that was rubbery or dry.
>
> The other issue is that I would need to have something that could be
> cooked
> and reheated later, because he often has to leave for something or other
> at
> the time I am cooking it or he falls asleep and is too tired to eat. That
> part should be resolved soon. I won't get into the details of that but he
> is
> starting another business.
>
> And what I make needs to be gluten free. I do have asst. gluten free flour
> and a box of gluten free Panko bread crumbs.
>
> Any suggestions? Aside from lemon and butter, I am clueless. I do remember
> making salmon and some kind of white fish fillet for my ex husband some
> years ago, before I had the Internet. I must have used a recipe but I have
> no clue what I did other than to bake it.
>
> Gluten is the only dietary issue. He's not really picky but he's not
> overly
> fond of some vegetables like potatoes, and doesn't like asparagus or
> mushrooms very much,
>
> Thanks!

I made some fish teriyaki for my wife's dinner tonight. It gets packed up
and she eats it sometime in the middle of the night. I wasn't planning on it
but there was a package of fish called "fish scraps" for $1.84 so I was all
in. The fish was seasoned and dusted with cornstarch and fried at high
temperature in a good amount of oil. Once browned, the fish is removed and
the sauce is made. A bit of shoyu, sugar, water, mirin, and ginger, are
heated in a pan. The mix is reduced a bit and a slurry of cornstarch is
added to thicken the sauce. The fish is added to the sauce/glaze.

The fish is placed on a bed of bok choy with a light sauce of oyster sauce,
shoyu, water, and small amount of sesame oil. I found a tiny eggplant in the
fridge so that was cooked up too. Hopefully, the eggplant was not poisonous.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...ukKhH4SyGeKo8k

---

Ooh! Thanks! I think he love this! He loved the Spam fried rice that I
asked you about. I'm going to make this tonight! Not sure I can find fish
scraps though.

=====

Yep, D. loves that Spam fried rice too))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>

> I invested nothing in it. I am not going to post all of the details here.
> But perhaps I should stop referring to him as my gardener. I think
> roommate
> might be a more fitting title. At any rate, I told him I would make
> him some fish. I'm doing research.
> ===
>
> What kind of fish do you want to cook? White fish I usually batter and
> deep fry but i have a nice recipe for salmon which is good cold if you
> have any left over.
>
> Teriyaki salmon. This is the recipe I use:
>
> https://natashaskitchen.com/teriyaki...g_3F1538200441

I have no idea what kind of fish. I don't like fish and never eat it except
for occasional fish sticks or tuna salad. I did discover that all fish seems
to be really expensive, compared to meat. Salmon is very pricy so I won't be
making fish very often. I did save the recipe. Thanks!

====

You are very welcome. If you do make it one day, I hope you like it)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 09:41:07 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>

>"Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>>
>> I invested nothing in it. I am not going to post all of the details here.
>> But perhaps I should stop referring to him as my gardener. I think
>> roommate
>> might be a more fitting title. At any rate, I told him I would make
>> him some fish. I'm doing research.
>> ===
>>
>> What kind of fish do you want to cook? White fish I usually batter and
>> deep fry but i have a nice recipe for salmon which is good cold if you
>> have any left over.
>>
>> Teriyaki salmon. This is the recipe I use:
>>
>> https://natashaskitchen.com/teriyaki...g_3F1538200441

>I have no idea what kind of fish. I don't like fish and never eat it except
>for occasional fish sticks or tuna salad. I did discover that all fish seems
>to be really expensive, compared to meat. Salmon is very pricy so I won't be
>making fish very often. I did save the recipe. Thanks!
>
>====
>
> You are very welcome. If you do make it one day, I hope you like it)

I think that teriyaki salmon is a dish that even a fish fearer might
like.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> The only fish I buy other than salmon is cod. Do try that recipe. I
> is a huge favourite here
>
> Can you not buy plain fish frozen and not seasoned?

Much of the frozen fish I found here is breaded and/or seasoned. I did find
some plain cod and bought that.

===

That is exactly what I always choose

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 09:41:07 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>

>"Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>>
>> I invested nothing in it. I am not going to post all of the details here.
>> But perhaps I should stop referring to him as my gardener. I think
>> roommate
>> might be a more fitting title. At any rate, I told him I would
>> make
>> him some fish. I'm doing research.
>> ===
>>
>> What kind of fish do you want to cook? White fish I usually batter and
>> deep fry but i have a nice recipe for salmon which is good cold if you
>> have any left over.
>>
>> Teriyaki salmon. This is the recipe I use:
>>
>> https://natashaskitchen.com/teriyaki...g_3F1538200441

>I have no idea what kind of fish. I don't like fish and never eat it except
>for occasional fish sticks or tuna salad. I did discover that all fish
>seems
>to be really expensive, compared to meat. Salmon is very pricy so I won't
>be
>making fish very often. I did save the recipe. Thanks!
>
>====
>
> You are very welcome. If you do make it one day, I hope you like it)

I think that teriyaki salmon is a dish that even a fish fearer might
like.

====

Have you tried it?) He loves it))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 11:45:27 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 09:41:07 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>
>>"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>>

>>"Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>>>
>>> I invested nothing in it. I am not going to post all of the details here.
>>> But perhaps I should stop referring to him as my gardener. I think
>>> roommate
>>> might be a more fitting title. At any rate, I told him I would
>>> make
>>> him some fish. I'm doing research.
>>> ===
>>>
>>> What kind of fish do you want to cook? White fish I usually batter and
>>> deep fry but i have a nice recipe for salmon which is good cold if you
>>> have any left over.
>>>
>>> Teriyaki salmon. This is the recipe I use:
>>>
>>> https://natashaskitchen.com/teriyaki...g_3F1538200441

>>I have no idea what kind of fish. I don't like fish and never eat it except
>>for occasional fish sticks or tuna salad. I did discover that all fish
>>seems
>>to be really expensive, compared to meat. Salmon is very pricy so I won't
>>be
>>making fish very often. I did save the recipe. Thanks!
>>
>>====
>>
>> You are very welcome. If you do make it one day, I hope you like it)

>I think that teriyaki salmon is a dish that even a fish fearer might
>like.
>
>====
>
> Have you tried it?) He loves it))

Yes, I've had teriyaki salmon often and I like it a lot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> Yes, I've had teriyaki salmon often and I like it a lot.

Yoose should educate yourself about the chemicals that are fed to
farm raised fish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 08:05:02 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> Yes, I've had teriyaki salmon often and I like it a lot.

>Yoose should educate yourself about the chemicals that are fed to
>farm raised fish.

Xanthan gum?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 11:45:27 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 09:41:07 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>
>>"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>>

>>"Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>>>
>>> I invested nothing in it. I am not going to post all of the details
>>> here.
>>> But perhaps I should stop referring to him as my gardener. I think
>>> roommate
>>> might be a more fitting title. At any rate, I told him I would
>>> make
>>> him some fish. I'm doing research.
>>> ===
>>>
>>> What kind of fish do you want to cook? White fish I usually batter
>>> and
>>> deep fry but i have a nice recipe for salmon which is good cold if you
>>> have any left over.
>>>
>>> Teriyaki salmon. This is the recipe I use:
>>>
>>> https://natashaskitchen.com/teriyaki...g_3F1538200441

>>I have no idea what kind of fish. I don't like fish and never eat it
>>except
>>for occasional fish sticks or tuna salad. I did discover that all fish
>>seems
>>to be really expensive, compared to meat. Salmon is very pricy so I won't
>>be
>>making fish very often. I did save the recipe. Thanks!
>>
>>====
>>
>> You are very welcome. If you do make it one day, I hope you like it)

>I think that teriyaki salmon is a dish that even a fish fearer might
>like.
>
>====
>
> Have you tried it?) He loves it))

Yes, I've had teriyaki salmon often and I like it a lot.

====

It does seem to be very popular)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2019 12:40 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 9/12/2019 8:46 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I have very little experience cooking fish mainly because I don't
>>> like it. My gardener just told me that he does so I said I would try
>>> to cook it for him.

(snippage)
>>> And what I make needs to be gluten free. I do have asst. gluten free
>>> flour and a box of gluten free Panko bread crumbs.

(more snippage)

>> It depends on the type of fish... but here's some very basic info
>> based on my experience.* I often pan fry fillets.* Usually a mild
>> white fish such as cod or catfish.* Without crumbs or a flour coating,
>> season with S&P at the very least.* Even with small fillets you'll
>> need a wide spatula for turning it.* Don't let it cook so long on one
>> side that it will split in half before you can turn it.* Depending on
>> the thickness of the fish, it only takes a few minutes on each side.
>>
>> I do sometimes bake fish fillets.* You can do this with a sprinkling
>> of of your gluten free panko on top, but you'll need something to it
>> stick. Maybe brush some of that eggless mayo on top then the seasoned
>> crumbs. Put a little water (or milk) in the bottom of the pan to help
>> keep it moist. You already know you shouldn't overcook it.* As a
>> *very* general rule, the moment it flakes with a fork, it's done.* I
>> usually bake cod fillets no more than 12-15 minutes.
>>
>> Also, Ed is right.* Most fish doesn't reheat well, especially not in a
>> microwave.* You might want to time the fish dinners so it can be eaten
>> immediately.
>>
>> Jill

> Thanks! Tonight's meal was timed just right. He loved it. So that went
> well.

Good. So, what kind of fish did you cook? How did you prepare it?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 12:12:43 PM UTC-4, Janet wrote:
> > In article >,
says...

> > > I invested nothing in it. I am not going to post all of the details here.
> > > But perhaps I should stop referring to him as my gardener. I think roommate
> > > might be a more fitting title.

> > Oh, so you're sharing the same bedroom.
> >
> > Janet UK

> Not necessarily. In my salad days, I shared my apartment with friends. We
> were roommates because apartment-mates is just awkward to say.

In UK, what you describe would be flatmates or housemates. A room-mate
is exclusively for those who share the same bedroom.
So you could be sharing a house or flat with several others, but only
the flatmate/housemate who sleeps in the same bedroom as you, is a
roommate.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 8:50:07 AM UTC-4, Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 12:12:43 PM UTC-4, Janet wrote:
> > > In article >,
says...

> > > Oh, so you're sharing the same bedroom.
> > >
> > > Janet UK

> > Not necessarily. In my salad days, I shared my apartment with friends. We
> > were roommates because apartment-mates is just awkward to say.

> In UK, what you describe would be flatmates or housemates. A room-mate
> is exclusively for those who share the same bedroom.
> So you could be sharing a house or flat with several others, but only
> the flatmate/housemate who sleeps in the same bedroom as you, is a
> roommate.
>
> Janet UK

We don't call them "flats". Apartment-mates is just too long.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-14 12:53 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:

> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 00:43:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> Diner? This isn't the East Coast.

>> Well, whatever the hell you want to call a place that serves food in
>> your neck of the woods.

> Restaurant. Neither of us go to those often. He can't, really except for
> a few places. He takes his dog with him everywhere. Most restaurants
> don't allow dogs.

Wow. This guy just gets more special every day.