Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fish

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 21:22:04 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 9/16/2019 8:42 PM, Je?us wrote:

>>> Yes, while it is good but yes, overrated. We'd have a lobster roll maybe
>>> once or twice a year and buy and cook live lobster once a year. My wife
>>> really liked it so I made sure she got it once in a while.

>> Lobster is extremely expensive in Australia. Years ago my then gf
>> wanted to makeLobster Thermidor for my birthday. I ended up paying
>> AUD$100 for a small, frozen lobster for the honour.
>>

>Ouch. In New England, for live lobster I'd pay $5 per pound at the peak
>of the season and up to $10 at other times, Here in Florida is is in
>the $15 range. A 2 pound lobster would yield no more than about 6 to 8
>ounces of meat.

That's so cheap. Are they caught from the wild, in salt water?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 22:02:22 -0400, wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 07:42:02 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>Yes, while it is good but yes, overrated. We'd have a lobster roll maybe
>>>once or twice a year and buy and cook live lobster once a year. My wife
>>>really liked it so I made sure she got it once in a while.

>>Lobster is extremely expensive in Australia. Years ago my then gf
>>wanted to makeLobster Thermidor for my birthday. I ended up paying
>>AUD$100 for a small, frozen lobster for the honour.

>She wasn't too smart. I hope you dumped her.

Yes. It was an unforgivable atrocity. In hindsight, I should have
waterboarded her before kicking her out the door to teach her a
lesson.

>I never eat lobster, it bothers me too much to slaughter a critter so
>important to the environment that can live a hundred years... I'd much
>rather clam chowder. And I've eaten lobster, as a food I found it to
>be nothing special... I actually prefer mussels marinara... much more
>flavorful.

I love a good chowder, I wish it were more popular in Australia.
Mussels Marinara is nice, too. We eat mussels in Thailand fairly
regularly, usually at buffet 'BBQ's like we had last night
https://tinyurl.com/yyq5vxjj

Also eat cockles often, usually with a very spicy sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Je�us wrote:
> Also eat cockles often, usually with a very spicy sauce.

HUSH! Yoose wanna get Popeye all worked up?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 17:24:29 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Je?us wrote:
>> Also eat cockles often, usually with a very spicy sauce.

>HUSH! Yoose wanna get Popeye all worked up?

Oops, I never thought of that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
> wrote:

> It's fairly simple to spell Bud Lite. LOL

For your edification, I have never knowingly eaten or drank anything
sold as "lite", "zero calorie", "low sodium", "gluten free", "reduced
or zero cholesterol", "low fat", etc., etc..
Wait...I drink 2 percent milk, because that's what my wife makes me
buy. I almost lied. She has iffy cholesterol. I don't.
If my liver falls out, it'll be from a real Bud, not a fake one.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Jeßus >
wrote:

> Lobster is extremely expensive in Australia. Years ago my then gf
> wanted to makeLobster Thermidor for my birthday. I ended up paying
> AUD$100 for a small, frozen lobster for the honour.

Yabbies gotta be a whole lot cheaper, and they're lobster like.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 16:42:44 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>In article >, Jeßus >
>wrote:
>
>> Lobster is extremely expensive in Australia. Years ago my then gf
>> wanted to makeLobster Thermidor for my birthday. I ended up paying
>> AUD$100 for a small, frozen lobster for the honour.

>Yabbies gotta be a whole lot cheaper, and they're lobster like.

Yes, yabbies are great - and free when you catch them yourself..
Morton Bay bugs are awesome too. Way better than lobster
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thenus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_feeder
> read the part about the shellfish

I've only had whole lobster once, in Gloucester Mass. Not a great cuisine
by any means, although it was edible. I prefer the lobster tail. Not too
much work in getting the meat out. I read once that in the lumber camps in
Western Canada, in BC, lobster meat was forbidden to be given to the
loggers. It was considered a cheap lousy food at that time.

---

Yes. It used to be peasant food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:
> I've only had whole lobster once, in Gloucester Mass. Not a great cuisine by any means, although it was edible. I prefer the lobster tail. Not too much work in getting the meat out. I read once that in the lumber camps in Western Canada, in BC, lobster meat was forbidden to be given to the loggers. It was considered a cheap lousy food at that time.

I even read that in the past, prisoners in NE were often fed
lobster until they finally complained enough that it stopped.

It *is* a fairly bland meat on it's own. Crab and shrimp are
tastier.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/18/2019 3:45 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 12:03:27 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> A Moose in Love wrote:
>>> I've only had whole lobster once, in Gloucester Mass. Not a great cuisine by any means, although it was edible. I prefer the lobster tail. Not too much work in getting the meat out. I read once that in the lumber camps in Western Canada, in BC, lobster meat was forbidden to be given to the loggers. It was considered a cheap lousy food at that time.

>> I even read that in the past, prisoners in NE were often fed
>> lobster until they finally complained enough that it stopped.

> Urban legend with no actual history of such.
>
> https://www.newbedfordguide.com/lobs...ure/2012/05/16
>
> -sw

I first heard that story at Plimoth Plantation about 30 years ago. This
allegedly would have happened back in the 1600s. One of those things
that may have an element of truth to it.The Pilgrims didn't take any
video evidence of it though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/18/2019 3:45 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I even read that in the past, prisoners in NE were often fed
>>> lobster until they finally complained enough that it stopped.

>> Urban legend with no actual history of such.
>>
>> https://www.newbedfordguide.com/lobs...ure/2012/05/16
>>

>> -sw
>>

> I first heard that story at Plimoth Plantation about 30 years ago.
> This allegedly would have happened back in the 1600s.* One of those
> things that may have an element of truth to it.The Pilgrims didn't
> take any video evidence of it though.

I had a great uncle who was a soldier during the korean war. He was
captured. He said they were fed very little, and sometimes it was a
concoction of rice and fish heads. I understand that the fish heads
are a common ingredient in some asian dishes these days.

What about pork ribs? I've heard that slaves were given the scraps
during winter hog killing time; innards, ribs and such. Ribs are
mostly bones, but properly smoked over a wood fire, the little bit
of meat between them is delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-15, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> Try a(n) [...]
> oaked chardonnay next time.

.....or don't!

The French equivalent is "white Burgundy" and it's less "annoying"
than the CA "oaked chardonnay" (I once poured a $50 bottle of "oaked
chardonnay" down the drain), which may be too "briquette-ish" (it was
like suckin' on a briquette) fer yer taste.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 12:03:27 -0400, Gary wrote:
> > I even read that in the past, prisoners in NE were often fed
> > lobster until they finally complained enough that it stopped.

> Urban legend with no actual history of such.
> https://www.newbedfordguide.com/lobs...ure/2012/05/16

Evidently, in your immediate efforts to prove me wrong, you
ignored many sites and latched on the first one that said
otherwise.

https://www.history.com/news/a-taste-of-lobster-history
This is History Channel. I trust their research over Steve from
Austin, TX.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 6:36:32 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > Oh yeah? He cleaned the gutters today and is going to clean the
> > dryer vent with the tool he bought. And I'm going to take him to
> > the store so he can buy food. His truck still isn't running.

> Sounds like a pretty good deal for you. Don't pay no mind to these
> jealous, hateful, people. I think they got mental problems. I found
> some cheap fish at the store so tonight I made ahi cakes. Delish? You
> bet!
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...gLA.euZ6j_1v_a
> iMWpoVJB525C

I hope that wasn't actual Ahi because that's a good way to ruin Ahi....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 6:36:32 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh yeah? He cleaned the gutters today and is going to clean the
>>> dryer vent with the tool he bought. And I'm going to take him to
>>> the store so he can buy food. His truck still isn't running.

>> Sounds like a pretty good deal for you. Don't pay no mind to these
>> jealous, hateful, people. I think they got mental problems. I found
>> some cheap fish at the store so tonight I made ahi cakes. Delish? You
>> bet!
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...gLA.euZ6j_1v_a
>> iMWpoVJB525C

> I hope that wasn't actual Ahi because that's a good way to ruin Ahi....

He's probably talking about tilapia.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 2:34:24 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> I hope that wasn't actual Ahi because that's a good way to ruin Ahi....

That's right - it was indeed ahi a.k.a., yellowfin tuna. The cakes were made from poke that was past its prime and selling for half price. Wonderful stuff! I was also experimenting with some dark portion ahi selling for dirt cheap. I made burgers out of that stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...keFQitM8m0CDNA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Sep 2019, Julie Bove wrote:
> The other issue is that I would need to have something that could be cooked
> and reheated later, because he often has to leave for something or other at
> the time I am cooking it or he falls asleep and is too tired to eat. That
> part should be resolved soon. I won't get into the details of that but he is
> starting another business.

Fish, much like pork, does not do well with reheating. If you can prep it
and have it ready to eat when it's done cooking, you'll be ahead. Maybe
Salmon can be gently reheated, but most other fish won't put up with it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 barbie gee wrote:
>On Thu, 12 Sep 2019, Julie Bove wrote:
>> The other issue is that I would need to have something that could be cooked
>> and reheated later, because he often has to leave for something or other at
>> the time I am cooking it or he falls asleep and is too tired to eat. That
>> part should be resolved soon. I won't get into the details of that but he is
>> starting another business.
>>

>Fish, much like pork, does not do well with reheating. If you can prep it
>and have it ready to eat when it's done cooking, you'll be ahead. Maybe
>Salmon can be gently reheated, but most other fish won't put up with it.

Pork, seafood, and poultry do very well reheated, in fly lice, soups,
chow mein, egg rolls, and many Oriental dishes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 23:21:50 -0500, barbie gee >
wrote:

> Fish, much like pork, does not do well with reheating. If you can prep it
> and have it ready to eat when it's done cooking, you'll be ahead. Maybe
> Salmon can be gently reheated, but most other fish won't put up with it.

Leftover fish is good cold if you mix in some seasonings and minced
vegetables.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
hcrg.pbz...

> On Thu, 12 Sep 2019, Julie Bove wrote:
>> The other issue is that I would need to have something that could be
>> cooked and reheated later, because he often has to leave for something or
>> other at the time I am cooking it or he falls asleep and is too tired to
>> eat. That part should be resolved soon. I won't get into the details of
>> that but he is starting another business.
>>

> Fish, much like pork, does not do well with reheating. If you can prep it
> and have it ready to eat when it's done cooking, you'll be ahead. Maybe
> Salmon can be gently reheated, but most other fish won't put up with it.

Thanks! He has started a lot of his own cooking. Some of what he has made
would likely horrify people here. Such as steak cooked in coconut oil and
topped with mashed hard boiled eggs. He liked it so that's all that matters.
I bought a few pieces of frozen fish and a few boxes of that non-breaded
stuff that has butter or a sauce and can be baked.

He is also home more. He is still doing my gardening but has two other
businesses that are not that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joy Beeson" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 23:21:50 -0500, barbie gee >
> wrote:
>
>> Fish, much like pork, does not do well with reheating. If you can prep
>> it
>> and have it ready to eat when it's done cooking, you'll be ahead. Maybe
>> Salmon can be gently reheated, but most other fish won't put up with it.

> Leftover fish is good cold if you mix in some seasonings and minced
> vegetables.

Thanks!