Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Default Don't Hate Me Because I Bag My Own Groceries

https://reason.com/2019/09/11/dont-h...own-groceries/

Don't Hate Me Because I Bag My Own Groceries

According to a proposed Oregon ballot initiative, I am contributing to unemployment, social isolation, and underage drinking.

JACOB SULLUM | 9.11.2019

"When I buy groceries, I almost always use the self-checkout line. I confess that I did not contemplate the broader social and economic implications of my choice until Tom Chamberlain enlightened me.

Chamberlain, who is president of the Oregon AFL-CIO, last week announced that his organization will soon be collecting signatures for a ballot initiative that would prohibit grocery stores from operating more than two self-checkout stations at a time. His arguments for imposing that restriction point the way to a world in which efficiency-boosting innovations are automatically suspect, no matter how popular they may prove to be.

Chamberlain's Grocery Store Service and Community Protection Act complains that "self-service checkouts essentially turn customers into unpaid employees." But if shoppers universally rebelled at the notion of scanning and bagging their own groceries, a law like this would hardly be necessary. The Act is he

http://oregonvotes.org/irr/2020/041text.pdf

Personally, I prefer self-checkout because I like to organize my groceries logically, which makes it easier to put them away once I get home. And although I am pretty good at chitchat (a skill developed during the years when self-checkout lines were less common), I'd just as soon avoid the effort.

I recognize that other people do not necessarily share my preferences. "Grocery stores provide many people with their primary place of social connection and sense of community," says Chamberlain's ballot initiative, which argues that "the increasing use of self-service checkouts€¦contributes to social isolation and related negative health consequences."

Since grocery stores with self-checkout lines still provide live cashiers for people who relish small talk, this objection seems suspect. Chamberlain does not want to assure the availability of a social connection at the supermarket so much as limit the options of shoppers who find companionship elsewhere.

Equally dubious is the Oregon AFL-CIO's claim that "self-service checkouts are often used by teens to purchase alcohol." When I buy beer or wine in the self-checkout line, an employee comes around to verify my age, so this hardly seems like an insoluble problem.

In case you are not convinced that self-checkout machines lead to social isolation and rampant adolescent alcoholism, the Oregon AFL-CIO, getting closer to the heart of its complaint, also argues that they hurt employees (and union membership) by undermining morale, eliminating jobs, and replacing full-time with part-time positions. Furthermore, "the increasing use of self-service checkouts has a disproportionate negative impact on people of color."

Evidently shoppers who use the self-checkout line are not only antisocial; they may also be racist, or at least racially insensitive. Yet Chamberlain's logic condemns not just self-checkout stations at grocery stores but all manner of innovations that boost efficiency, reduce prices, and increase consumer satisfaction.

As my Reason colleague Christian Britschgi recently noted, the self-service grocery stores that Americans have come to take for granted since the early 20th century, which allow them to pick their own purchases rather than relying on clerks to fetch them, likewise eliminated certain jobs while saving time and money. Grocery shoppers, especially those of modest means, also have benefited from the enormous increases in agricultural productivity that reduced food prices while making it possible to feed a growing population even as the number of Americans working on farms fell from 12 million in 1910 to fewer than 2 million today.

If "lost jobs" were a sound reason to dictate what products and services businesses may offer, we would have to do without a long list of modern conveniences, including ATMs, vending machines, fast-food restaurants, computers, smartphones, streaming video, electronic books, and online retailing. Yet such innovations are ultimately good for employees as well as consumers: They may eliminate jobs, but they also create jobs both directly and indirectly, leaving consumers and businesses with more money to spend and invest.

Assuming that the AFL-CIO's initiative qualifies for the 2020 ballot, can we count on Oregonians to see through its economic illogic? Since it is still illegal in most of Oregon to pump your own gas, maybe not..."

© Copyright 2019 by Creators Syndicate Inc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/11/2019 5:57 PM, GM wrote:
> https://reason.com/2019/09/11/dont-h...own-groceries/
>
> Don't Hate Me Because I Bag My Own Groceries
>
> According to a proposed Oregon ballot initiative, I am contributing to unemployment, social isolation, and underage drinking.
>
> JACOB SULLUM | 9.11.2019
>
> "When I buy groceries, I almost always use the self-checkout line. I confess that I did not contemplate the broader social and economic implications of my choice until Tom Chamberlain enlightened me.

I've seen both sides and both have good points. I talked to the manager
of our local store in CT about it and she said they could not hire
enough people to properly staff the checkouts at times so the self lines
kept customers happy. Many stores in the area to have "help wanted"
signs.

Meantime, 1400 miles away or local store in FL has no self checkouts.
They also have baggers that are very competent and do a very good job.
They will even take them and load your car. Overall, time in the
checkout is shorter. Prices here are a tad higher but the service is
superior. I'm willing to pay for good service by happy employees.

If I use the self check out I should get a discount.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 11, 2019 at 4:57:09 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:

> https://reason.com/2019/09/11/dont-h...own-groceries/
>

> Personally, I prefer self-checkout because I like to organize my groceries logically, which makes it easier to put them away once I get home. And although I am pretty good at chitchat (a skill developed during the years when self-checkout lines were less common), I'd just as soon avoid the effort.

If I have just a few items I like to check myself out as well. I pay more
attention to the price when it rings up when I do the scanning and I suppose
that's because I'm slower than a checker.

> I recognize that other people do not necessarily share my preferences. "Grocery stores provide many people with their primary place of social connection and sense of community," says Chamberlain's ballot initiative, which argues that "the increasing use of self-service checkouts€¦contributes to social isolation and related negative health consequences."

Uh no, the grocery store does not provide my primary place of social connection.
I do chit-chat with other customers in the store and I shoot the breeze with
the clerk overseeing the self-checkout lanes.

> Equally dubious is the Oregon AFL-CIO's claim that "self-service checkouts are often used by teens to purchase alcohol." When I buy beer or wine in the self-checkout line, an employee comes around to verify my age, so this hardly seems like an insoluble problem.

If teens are purchasing alcohol through the self-checkout lanes then someone
is not doing their job and their registers are not set up properly. Here,
EVERYBODY is carded no matter how old you are. If your checker in a regular
lane is under 21 then she has to call over her supervisor to complete that
sale. You can buy it nor check out someone buying alcohol if you are underage.

> In case you are not convinced that self-checkout machines lead to social isolation and rampant adolescent alcoholism, the Oregon AFL-CIO, getting closer to the heart of its complaint, also argues that they hurt employees (and union membership) by undermining morale, eliminating jobs, and replacing full-time with part-time positions. Furthermore, "the increasing use of self-service checkouts has a disproportionate negative impact on people of color."

My store is hiring all the time for 'personal shoppers' and many of them are
young black folks. That argument doesn't hold water.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/11/2019 5:57 PM, GM wrote:
>> https://reason.com/2019/09/11/dont-h...own-groceries/
>>
>> Don't Hate Me Because I Bag My Own Groceries
>>
>> According to a proposed Oregon ballot initiative, I am contributing to
>> unemployment, social isolation, and underage drinking.
>>
>> JACOB SULLUM | 9.11.2019
>>
>> "When I buy groceries, I almost always use the self-checkout line. I
>> confess that I did not contemplate the broader social and economic
>> implications of my choice until Tom Chamberlain enlightened me.
>>

> I've seen both sides and both have good points. I talked to the manager
> of our local store in CT about it and she said they could not hire enough
> people to properly staff the checkouts at times so the self lines kept
> customers happy. Many stores in the area to have "help wanted" signs.
>
> Meantime, 1400 miles away or local store in FL has no self checkouts. They
> also have baggers that are very competent and do a very good job. They
> will even take them and load your car. Overall, time in the checkout is
> shorter. Prices here are a tad higher but the service is superior. I'm
> willing to pay for good service by happy employees.
>
> If I use the self check out I should get a discount.

I agree! We should get a discount. We don't though. Not here anyway. Some
stores give a discount if we bring our own bags. I rarely use self checkout
because I seem to have issues every time I do.

I don't mind bagging my own stuff and sometimes even prefer it. Sometimes I
don't like the way *they* do it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 12, 2019 at 2:53:25 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> > On 9/11/2019 5:57 PM, GM wrote:
> >> https://reason.com/2019/09/11/dont-h...own-groceries/
> >>
> >> Don't Hate Me Because I Bag My Own Groceries
> >>
> >> According to a proposed Oregon ballot initiative, I am contributing to
> >> unemployment, social isolation, and underage drinking.
> >>
> >> JACOB SULLUM | 9.11.2019
> >>
> >> "When I buy groceries, I almost always use the self-checkout line. I
> >> confess that I did not contemplate the broader social and economic
> >> implications of my choice until Tom Chamberlain enlightened me.
> >>

> > I've seen both sides and both have good points. I talked to the manager
> > of our local store in CT about it and she said they could not hire enough
> > people to properly staff the checkouts at times so the self lines kept
> > customers happy. Many stores in the area to have "help wanted" signs.
> >
> > Meantime, 1400 miles away or local store in FL has no self checkouts. They
> > also have baggers that are very competent and do a very good job. They
> > will even take them and load your car. Overall, time in the checkout is
> > shorter. Prices here are a tad higher but the service is superior. I'm
> > willing to pay for good service by happy employees.
> >
> > If I use the self check out I should get a discount.

> I agree! We should get a discount. We don't though. Not here anyway. Some
> stores give a discount if we bring our own bags. I rarely use self checkout
> because I seem to have issues every time I do.
>
> I don't mind bagging my own stuff and sometimes even prefer it. Sometimes I
> don't like the way *they* do it.

I don't need no stinkin' discounts! Paying for my shit and getting out of the joint forthwith makes me happy every single time. Self-checkout is the greatest invention since the smart phone. Thank you Jesus!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 22:41:47 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>I thought maybe Morrow might be posting something that he cooked,
>created, or though of himself for a change.
>
>Guess not. That's what I get for cleaning out my killfile.

Can I go back in? I'm getting agoraphobia!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Ed Pawlowski
> wrote:

> I've seen both sides and both have good points. I talked to the manager
> of our local store in CT about it and she said they could not hire
> enough people to properly staff the checkouts at times so the self lines
> kept customers happy. Many stores in the area to have "help wanted"
> signs.

The Oregon AFL-CIO initiative is a subversive attempt to unionize or
destroy Winco. Winco is nonunion with employee ownership, and
therefore, evil. They sell at lower prices than the union shops and are
a threat. Right or wrong, that's my take. I'm right.
Getting the vast majority of government restrictions and regulation out
of private industry would solve the "help wanted" problem tomorrow
morning.

[ObFood] Leftover chicken and noodles with broccoli, carrots, onions
and celery. This must be started by boiling a whole chicken for a hour
in plain water. Then one's imagination is the limit.
Hint: The resulting broth will need lots of salt. To taste, of course.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 21:05:40 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>In article >, Ed Pawlowski
> wrote:
>
>> I've seen both sides and both have good points. I talked to the manager
>> of our local store in CT about it and she said they could not hire
>> enough people to properly staff the checkouts at times so the self lines
>> kept customers happy. Many stores in the area to have "help wanted"
>> signs.

>The Oregon AFL-CIO initiative is a subversive attempt to unionize or
>destroy Winco. Winco is nonunion with employee ownership, and
>therefore, evil.

Employee ownership? That's communism! Bosses and slaves, that's what
we want!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, September 12, 2019 at 2:53:25 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> > On 9/11/2019 5:57 PM, GM wrote:
> >> https://reason.com/2019/09/11/dont-h...own-groceries/
> >>
> >> Don't Hate Me Because I Bag My Own Groceries
> >>
> >> According to a proposed Oregon ballot initiative, I am contributing to
> >> unemployment, social isolation, and underage drinking.
> >>
> >> JACOB SULLUM | 9.11.2019
> >>
> >> "When I buy groceries, I almost always use the self-checkout line. I
> >> confess that I did not contemplate the broader social and economic
> >> implications of my choice until Tom Chamberlain enlightened me.
> >>

> > I've seen both sides and both have good points. I talked to the manager
> > of our local store in CT about it and she said they could not hire
> > enough
> > people to properly staff the checkouts at times so the self lines kept
> > customers happy. Many stores in the area to have "help wanted" signs.
> >
> > Meantime, 1400 miles away or local store in FL has no self checkouts.
> > They
> > also have baggers that are very competent and do a very good job. They
> > will even take them and load your car. Overall, time in the checkout is
> > shorter. Prices here are a tad higher but the service is superior. I'm
> > willing to pay for good service by happy employees.
> >
> > If I use the self check out I should get a discount.

> I agree! We should get a discount. We don't though. Not here anyway. Some
> stores give a discount if we bring our own bags. I rarely use self
> checkout
> because I seem to have issues every time I do.
>
> I don't mind bagging my own stuff and sometimes even prefer it. Sometimes
> don't like the way *they* do it.

I don't need no stinkin' discounts! Paying for my shit and getting out of
the joint forthwith makes me happy every single time. Self-checkout is the
greatest invention since the smart phone. Thank you Jesus!

==

LOL I don't disagree! D. is an expert packer anyway The only packers
we get are when some charity is doing it and hoping you will put money in
their charity box.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2019 9:31 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1"Â* wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, September 12, 2019 at 2:53:25 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> > On 9/11/2019 5:57 PM, GM wrote:
>> >>

>> https://reason.com/2019/09/11/dont-h...own-groceries/

>> > I've seen both sides and both have good points.Â* I talked to the

>> manager
>> > of our local store in CT about it and she said they could not hire >

>> enough
>> > people to properly staff the checkouts at times so the self lines kept
>> > customers happy.Â* Many stores in the area to have "help wanted" signs.
>> >
>> > Meantime, 1400 miles away or local store in FL has no self

>> checkouts. > They
>> > also have baggers that are very competent and do a very good job. They
>> > will even take them and load your car.Â* Overall, time in the

>> checkout is
>> > shorter.Â* Prices here are a tad higher but the service is superior.

>> I'm
>> > willing to pay for good service by happy employees.
>> >
>> > If I use the self check out I should get a discount.

>> I agree! We should get a discount. We don't though. Not here anyway. Some
>> stores give a discount if we bring our own bags. I rarely use self
>> checkout
>> because I seem to have issues every time I do.
>>
>> I don't mind bagging my own stuff and sometimes even prefer it.
>> Sometimes I
>> don't like the way *they* do it.

> I don't need no stinkin' discounts! Paying for my shit and getting out
> of the joint forthwith makes me happy every single time. Self-checkout
> is the greatest invention since the smart phone. Thank you Jesus!
>
> ==
>
> Â* LOL I don't disagree!Â* D. is an expert packer anywayÂ* The only
> packers we get are when some charity is doing it and hoping you will put
> money in their charity box.

Charity bagging? Never heard of that. How tacky.

Publix not only will bag for you, they will take it out and load your
car. No tipping allowed. If it rains, they will walk you out with a
big umbrella.

Enough cashiers that you never have a long wait. They know how to do
customer service.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

On 9/13/2019 9:31 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, September 12, 2019 at 2:53:25 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> > On 9/11/2019 5:57 PM, GM wrote:
>> >>

>> https://reason.com/2019/09/11/dont-h...own-groceries/

>> > I've seen both sides and both have good points. I talked to the

>> manager
>> > of our local store in CT about it and she said they could not hire >

>> enough
>> > people to properly staff the checkouts at times so the self lines kept
>> > customers happy. Many stores in the area to have "help wanted" signs.
>> >
>> > Meantime, 1400 miles away or local store in FL has no self

>> checkouts. > They
>> > also have baggers that are very competent and do a very good job. They
>> > will even take them and load your car. Overall, time in the

>> checkout is
>> > shorter. Prices here are a tad higher but the service is superior.

>> I'm
>> > willing to pay for good service by happy employees.
>> >
>> > If I use the self check out I should get a discount.

>> I agree! We should get a discount. We don't though. Not here anyway. Some
>> stores give a discount if we bring our own bags. I rarely use self
>> checkout
>> because I seem to have issues every time I do.
>>
>> I don't mind bagging my own stuff and sometimes even prefer it. Sometimes
>> don't like the way *they* do it.

> I don't need no stinkin' discounts! Paying for my shit and getting out of
> the joint forthwith makes me happy every single time. Self-checkout is the
> greatest invention since the smart phone. Thank you Jesus!
>
> ==
>
> LOL I don't disagree! D. is an expert packer anyway The only
> packers we get are when some charity is doing it and hoping you will put
> money in their charity box.

Charity bagging? Never heard of that. How tacky.

Publix not only will bag for you, they will take it out and load your
car. No tipping allowed. If it rains, they will walk you out with a
big umbrella.

Enough cashiers that you never have a long wait. They know how to do
customer service.

===

LOL you won't get that here! We are a strong hardy lot yannow <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-13 10:22 a.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> Â*Â* LOL I don't disagree!Â* D. is an expert packer anywayÂ* The only
>> packers we get are when some charity is doing it and hoping you will
>> put money in their charity box.
>>

> Charity bagging?Â* Never heard of that.Â* How tacky.

I have seen worse. The local volunteer fire department sets up at
intersections looking for donations. IMO it borders on extortion. Then
there are the sponsored charity donations requested at various stores
where the cashiers ask if you want to donate to their charity of the
week. They will ask of you want to donate $x to Y charity. Sometimes it
is $1, sometimes $2, and once they dared to ask for $5. It is another
indication that charity fund raising has become a business.

> Enough cashiers that you never have a long wait.Â* They know how to do
> customer service.

Stores have caught on to that around here. I is rare to have more than
one person checking out and two in line. Costco is the exception there,
but they run people through quickly. I was there one day last week and
the lines were exceptionally long, extending well past the area where
people are usually lined up. I surprised at how quickly I got out of there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/13/2019 9:31 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1"Â* wrote in message
>>
>> On Thursday, September 12, 2019 at 2:53:25 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove
>> wrote:
>>> >>
>>> https://reason.com/2019/09/11/dont-h...own-groceries/

>>> contributing to

>>> line. I
>>> economic

>>> the manager
>>> hire > enough
>>> lines kept
>>> wanted" signs.

>>> checkouts. > They
>>> job. They
>>> checkout is
>>> superior. I'm

>>> I agree! We should get a discount. We don't though. Not here
>>> anyway. Some
>>> stores give a discount if we bring our own bags. I rarely use
>>> self checkout
>>> because I seem to have issues every time I do.
>>>
>>> I don't mind bagging my own stuff and sometimes even prefer it.
>>> Sometimes I
>>> don't like the way *they* do it.

>> I don't need no stinkin' discounts! Paying for my shit and getting
>> out of the joint forthwith makes me happy every single time.
>> Self-checkout is the greatest invention since the smart phone.
>> Thank you Jesus!
>>
>> ==
>>
>> *Â* LOL I don't disagree!Â* D. is an expert packer anywayÂ* The
>> only packers we get are when some charity is doing it and hoping
>> you will put money in their charity box.
>>

> Charity bagging?* Never heard of that.* How tacky.
>
> Publix not only will bag for you, they will take it out and load
> your car.* No tipping allowed.* If it rains, they will walk you out
> with a big umbrella.
>
> Enough cashiers that you never have a long wait.* They know how to
> do customer service.

I really like publix stores, but they are so expensive I can't
afford to buy groceries there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2019 2:40 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 9/13/2019 9:31 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I don't need no stinkin' discounts! Paying for my shit and getting
>>> out of the joint forthwith makes me happy every single time.
>>> Self-checkout is the greatest invention since the smart phone. Thank
>>> you Jesus!
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Â*ÂÂ* LOL I don't disagree!ÂÂ* D. is an expert packer anywayÂÂ* The
>>> only packers we get are when some charity is doing it and hoping you
>>> will put money in their charity box.
>>>

>> Charity bagging?Â* Never heard of that.Â* How tacky.
>>
>> Publix not only will bag for you, they will take it out and load your
>> car.Â* No tipping allowed.Â* If it rains, they will walk you out with a
>> big umbrella.
>>
>> Enough cashiers that you never have a long wait.Â* They know how to do
>> customer service.

> I really like publix stores, but they are so expensive I can't afford to
> buy groceries there.

Yes, you do pay for good service, but, at least check the ads for the
BOGO. They do have some good ones.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 1:40:10 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:

> I really like publix stores, but they are so expensive I can't
> afford to buy groceries there.

Last year I decided to a price comparison on Arnold's Bread and knew it was
$3.49 at Kroger unless it's on sale. I checked at Walmart and it was $2.49
while the same loaf was a whopping $4.49 at Publix. After picking myself up
off the floor and staggering out the door I haven't been back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 3:54:26 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 1:40:10 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> >
> > I really like publix stores, but they are so expensive I can't
> > afford to buy groceries there.
> >

> Last year I decided to a price comparison on Arnold's Bread and knew it was
> $3.49 at Kroger unless it's on sale. I checked at Walmart and it was $2.49
> while the same loaf was a whopping $4.49 at Publix. After picking myself up
> off the floor and staggering out the door I haven't been back.

I don't know anything about Publix. But the most important things for
me in a grocery store are the quality of the vegetables and the quality
of the meat. If I have to pay a little more for the other items I buy,
it's worth it to me to save time by not driving all over town.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 13:01:01 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 3:54:26 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 1:40:10 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> >
>> > I really like publix stores, but they are so expensive I can't
>> > afford to buy groceries there.
>> >

>> Last year I decided to a price comparison on Arnold's Bread and knew it was
>> $3.49 at Kroger unless it's on sale. I checked at Walmart and it was $2.49
>> while the same loaf was a whopping $4.49 at Publix. After picking myself up
>> off the floor and staggering out the door I haven't been back.

>I don't know anything about Publix. But the most important things for
>me in a grocery store are the quality of the vegetables and the quality
>of the meat. If I have to pay a little more for the other items I buy,
>it's worth it to me to save time by not driving all over town.

Which might cost what you save, in gas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 3:58:01 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> LOL I don't disagree! D. is an expert packer anyway The only packers
> we get are when some charity is doing it and hoping you will put money in
> their charity box.

Bagging for charity seems like kind of a fun thing. We used to go grocery shopping with my in-laws at the Hickam Air Base. There would be fresh faced Army kids employed there that would bag groceries and push the carts to the shopper's cars. I had never seen such a thing before - it seemed like something out of the 1950's. The kids would get a couple of bucks or so tip for their efforts. I suppose back in the 50's they'd get a quarter or a shiny new nickel. Whoopee!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 3:01:05 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I don't know anything about Publix. But the most important things for
> me in a grocery store are the quality of the vegetables and the quality
> of the meat. If I have to pay a little more for the other items I buy,
> it's worth it to me to save time by not driving all over town.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I was at my optometrist office which is 1/2 mile from the Publix I visited so
I thought I would check it out while so near. I'd never just drive the 14
miles to check on the price of a loaf of bread. The Kroger that I shop at
is 3.5 miles from my house. The Walmart Neighborhood Market is just a smidge
over 10 miles from my house and I was passing by and decided to whip in to
check the price.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 3:58:01 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> LOL I don't disagree! D. is an expert packer anyway The only
> packers
> we get are when some charity is doing it and hoping you will put money in
> their charity box.

Bagging for charity seems like kind of a fun thing. We used to go grocery
shopping with my in-laws at the Hickam Air Base. There would be fresh faced
Army kids employed there that would bag groceries and push the carts to the
shopper's cars. I had never seen such a thing before - it seemed like
something out of the 1950's. The kids would get a couple of bucks or so tip
for their efforts. I suppose back in the 50's they'd get a quarter or a
shiny new nickel. Whoopee!

===

lol sounds ok to me I am not sure why people working for a charity is
such a bad thing???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 10:54:42 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> lol sounds ok to me I am not sure why people working for a charity is
> such a bad thing???

Working to help other people is seen as an old-fashioned kind of thing to do these days. Well, at least in America, it is. That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 14:02:18 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 10:54:42 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> lol sounds ok to me I am not sure why people working for a charity is
>> such a bad thing???

>Working to help other people is seen as an old-fashioned kind of thing to do these days. Well, at least in America, it is. That's the breaks.

And how will that be in the future?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2019 4:49 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1"Â* wrote in message
>
> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 3:58:01 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Â*Â* LOL I don't disagree!Â* D. is an expert packer anywayÂ* The only
>> packers
>> we get are when some charity is doing it and hoping you will put money in
>> their charity box.

> Bagging for charity seems like kind of a fun thing. We used to go
> grocery shopping with my in-laws at the Hickam Air Base. There would be
> fresh faced Army kids employed there that would bag groceries and push
> the carts to the shopper's cars. IÂ* had never seen such a thing before -
> it seemed like something out of the 1950's. The kids would get a couple
> of bucks or so tip for their efforts. I suppose back in the 50's they'd
> get a quarter or a shiny new nickel. Whoopee!
>
> ===
>
> Â*Â* lol sounds ok to meÂ* I am not sure why people working for a
> charity is such a bad thing???

Working for charity is not bad, but they are doing a service the market
should be doing on a regular basis.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 11:18:32 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> And how will that be in the future?

America won't be seen as a land of unlimited opportunity and the home of freedom. Mostly it's going to be a dog eat dog world and a land of struggling to grab as much as you can before it all goes to shit. We'll be the land of the greed and the home of the struggling. Don't quote me, I could be wrong.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 17:28:11 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 11:18:32 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> And how will that be in the future?

>America won't be seen as a land of unlimited opportunity and the home of freedom. Mostly it's going to be a dog eat dog world and a land of struggling to grab as much as you can before it all goes to shit. We'll be the land of the greed and the home of the struggling. Don't quote me, I could be wrong.

That's the present, but how about the future?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 3:58:01 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> LOL I don't disagree! D. is an expert packer anyway The only packers
>> we get are when some charity is doing it and hoping you will put money in
>> their charity box.

> Bagging for charity seems like kind of a fun thing. We used to go grocery shopping with my in-laws at the Hickam Air Base. There would be fresh faced Army kids employed there that would bag groceries and push the carts to the shopper's cars. I had never seen such a thing before - it seemed like something out of the 1950's. The kids would get a couple of bucks or so tip for their efforts. I suppose back in the 50's they'd get a quarter or a shiny new nickel. Whoopee!

Yoose must have been powerful drunk. Did the inlaws leave yoose in
the px and drive off?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 10:54:42 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> lol sounds ok to me I am not sure why people working for a charity
> is
> such a bad thing???

Working to help other people is seen as an old-fashioned kind of thing to do
these days. Well, at least in America, it is. That's the breaks.

=====

Sorry, but that is just awful(

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

On 9/13/2019 4:49 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 3:58:01 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> LOL I don't disagree! D. is an expert packer anyway The only
>> packers
>> we get are when some charity is doing it and hoping you will put money in
>> their charity box.

> Bagging for charity seems like kind of a fun thing. We used to go grocery
> shopping with my in-laws at the Hickam Air Base. There would be fresh
> faced Army kids employed there that would bag groceries and push the carts
> to the shopper's cars. I had never seen such a thing before - it seemed
> like something out of the 1950's. The kids would get a couple of bucks or
> so tip for their efforts. I suppose back in the 50's they'd get a quarter
> or a shiny new nickel. Whoopee!
>
> ===
>
> lol sounds ok to me I am not sure why people working for a charity
> is such a bad thing???

Working for charity is not bad, but they are doing a service the market
should be doing on a regular basis.

====

LOL We are strong people and can pack our own bags and carry them out to
the car)) We don't need servants!

I have no objection to charities doing stuff like that. Ok mostly they
are rubbish packers, but we know it is for A Good Thing)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 08:41:41 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...
>
>On 9/13/2019 4:49 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 3:58:01 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> LOL I don't disagree! D. is an expert packer anyway The only
>>> packers
>>> we get are when some charity is doing it and hoping you will put money in
>>> their charity box.

>> Bagging for charity seems like kind of a fun thing. We used to go grocery
>> shopping with my in-laws at the Hickam Air Base. There would be fresh
>> faced Army kids employed there that would bag groceries and push the carts
>> to the shopper's cars. I had never seen such a thing before - it seemed
>> like something out of the 1950's. The kids would get a couple of bucks or
>> so tip for their efforts. I suppose back in the 50's they'd get a quarter
>> or a shiny new nickel. Whoopee!
>>
>> ===
>>
>> lol sounds ok to me I am not sure why people working for a charity
>> is such a bad thing???
>>

>Working for charity is not bad, but they are doing a service the market
>should be doing on a regular basis.
>
>====
>
> LOL We are strong people and can pack our own bags and carry them out to
>the car)) We don't need servants!

Same here. Not while we can still walk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 08:41:41 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...
>
>On 9/13/2019 4:49 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 3:58:01 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> LOL I don't disagree! D. is an expert packer anyway The only
>>> packers
>>> we get are when some charity is doing it and hoping you will put money
>>> in
>>> their charity box.

>> Bagging for charity seems like kind of a fun thing. We used to go grocery
>> shopping with my in-laws at the Hickam Air Base. There would be fresh
>> faced Army kids employed there that would bag groceries and push the
>> carts
>> to the shopper's cars. I had never seen such a thing before - it seemed
>> like something out of the 1950's. The kids would get a couple of bucks or
>> so tip for their efforts. I suppose back in the 50's they'd get a quarter
>> or a shiny new nickel. Whoopee!
>>
>> ===
>>
>> lol sounds ok to me I am not sure why people working for a charity
>> is such a bad thing???
>>

>Working for charity is not bad, but they are doing a service the market
>should be doing on a regular basis.
>
>====
>
> LOL We are strong people and can pack our own bags and carry them out
>the car)) We don't need servants!

Same here. Not while we can still walk

====

Yes, and if that happens I will have deliveries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 4:23:01 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 3:01:05 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > I don't know anything about Publix. But the most important things for
> > me in a grocery store are the quality of the vegetables and the quality
> > of the meat. If I have to pay a little more for the other items I buy,
> > it's worth it to me to save time by not driving all over town.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> I was at my optometrist office which is 1/2 mile from the Publix I visited so
> I thought I would check it out while so near. I'd never just drive the 14
> miles to check on the price of a loaf of bread. The Kroger that I shop at
> is 3.5 miles from my house. The Walmart Neighborhood Market is just a smidge
> over 10 miles from my house and I was passing by and decided to whip in to
> check the price.

I used to drive past two cheaper grocery stores to get to the one I preferred.
I've been known to drive a 14-mile round trip to pick up a loaf of bread at
the bakery.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 8:28:14 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 11:18:32 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >
> > And how will that be in the future?

> America won't be seen as a land of unlimited opportunity and the home of freedom. Mostly it's going to be a dog eat dog world and a land of struggling to grab as much as you can before it all goes to shit. We'll be the land of the greed and the home of the struggling. Don't quote me, I could be wrong.

FFS it's always been that way. Why do you think Hawaii is American?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2019 6:42 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 4:23:01 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 3:01:05 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't know anything about Publix. But the most important things for
>>> me in a grocery store are the quality of the vegetables and the quality
>>> of the meat. If I have to pay a little more for the other items I buy,
>>> it's worth it to me to save time by not driving all over town.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> I was at my optometrist office which is 1/2 mile from the Publix I visited so
>> I thought I would check it out while so near. I'd never just drive the 14
>> miles to check on the price of a loaf of bread. The Kroger that I shop at
>> is 3.5 miles from my house. The Walmart Neighborhood Market is just a smidge
>> over 10 miles from my house and I was passing by and decided to whip in to
>> check the price.

> I used to drive past two cheaper grocery stores to get to the one I preferred.
> I've been known to drive a 14-mile round trip to pick up a loaf of bread at
> the bakery.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I've done 50 miles for Widoff's rye bread. I usually tried to
incorporate other stops but no always.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 8:44:50 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 9/14/2019 6:42 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 4:23:01 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> >> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 3:01:05 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >>>
> >> I was at my optometrist office which is 1/2 mile from the Publix I visited so
> >> I thought I would check it out while so near. I'd never just drive the 14
> >> miles to check on the price of a loaf of bread. The Kroger that I shop at
> >> is 3.5 miles from my house. The Walmart Neighborhood Market is just a smidge
> >> over 10 miles from my house and I was passing by and decided to whip in to
> >> check the price.

> > I used to drive past two cheaper grocery stores to get to the one I preferred.
> > I've been known to drive a 14-mile round trip to pick up a loaf of bread at
> > the bakery.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> I've done 50 miles for Widoff's rye bread. I usually tried to
> incorporate other stops but no always.

There is a Kroger 1 mile from my house that is doing a MAJOR renovation and I
will check it out once it is complete. But I always drive to the one 3.5 miles
away because they have a better selection and a better class of clientele.
The one that is closest to my house has a lot traffic from the projects and
and some lower income neighborhoods. I got tired of seeing people in house
shoes and pajama bottoms and hollering clear across the store at each other
amongst other things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 2:43:33 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 17:28:11 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 11:18:32 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> And how will that be in the future?

> >America won't be seen as a land of unlimited opportunity and the home of freedom. Mostly it's going to be a dog eat dog world and a land of struggling to grab as much as you can before it all goes to shit. We'll be the land of the greed and the home of the struggling. Don't quote me, I could be wrong.

> That's the present, but how about the future?

What the heck do you know about America? The only time you've seen America is on the TV i.e., "idiot box."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 12:44:05 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 8:28:14 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 11:18:32 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> > >
> > > And how will that be in the future?

> > America won't be seen as a land of unlimited opportunity and the home of freedom. Mostly it's going to be a dog eat dog world and a land of struggling to grab as much as you can before it all goes to shit. We'll be the land of the greed and the home of the struggling. Don't quote me, I could be wrong.

> FFS it's always been that way. Why do you think Hawaii is American?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

For ****s sake, you live in the a place where half the population hates/disrespects/fears the other half. What the heck do you expect? That's your town, not my town.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/sta...ppiest-states/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 15:21:42 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 2:43:33 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 17:28:11 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >America won't be seen as a land of unlimited opportunity and the home of freedom. Mostly it's going to be a dog eat dog world and a land of struggling to grab as much as you can before it all goes to shit. We'll be the land of the greed and the home of the struggling. Don't quote me, I could be wrong.

>> That's the present, but how about the future?

>What the heck do you know about America? The only time you've seen America is on the TV i.e., "idiot box."

Did you know that your country has an international reputation? And
that it ain't pretty?