Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default recreating lost posts

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >, Bruce
> > wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 07 Sep 2019 23:53:05 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell

> > > s/everything/something/g. Nuff sed.

> > ¿Que?

> My remark
> contains a clue
> Which may be something
> fun to do
>
> I'm bored. My wife and SIL are gone to a class reunion. Check out this
> picture of sweet corn muffins that I made today. There's not much
> color to them.
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qf3djfdi4tlezy/corn%20muffins.jpg?dl=0>
>
> leo

Nice Leo! More of a New England version there. Nothing wrong with that!

If you want to fancy them up a little (won't change the color much),
consider chopped bits of dried fruits. Not the candied stuff for fruit
cake, but figs, even prunes, raisens (sp?), dried guava or mangos work
well.

If the color bothers you, try using dark brown sugar for the sweetner.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Sep 2019 00:32:12 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>I'm bored. My wife and SIL are gone to a class reunion. Check out this
>picture of sweet corn muffins that I made today. There's not much color
>to them.
><https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qf3djfdi4tlezy/corn%20muffins.jpg?dl=0>

I'd like to try those. Never had corn muffins before.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 8:45:46 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Sep 2019 00:32:12 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> > wrote:
>
> >I'm bored. My wife and SIL are gone to a class reunion. Check out this
> >picture of sweet corn muffins that I made today. There's not much color
> >to them.
> ><https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qf3djfdi4tlezy/corn%20muffins.jpg?dl=0>

> I'd like to try those. Never had corn muffins before.

They're rather 'blonde' looking but you don't know what you're missing by
having never eaten corn muffins.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 20:27:29 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 8:45:46 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 08 Sep 2019 00:32:12 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I'm bored. My wife and SIL are gone to a class reunion. Check out this
>> >picture of sweet corn muffins that I made today. There's not much color
>> >to them.
>> ><https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qf3djfdi4tlezy/corn%20muffins.jpg?dl=0>

>> I'd like to try those. Never had corn muffins before.
>>

>They're rather 'blonde' looking but you don't know what you're missing by
>having never eaten corn muffins.

Yes, they do sound good. Is it possible to use or add fresh corn at
all or just cornmeal?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 20:27:29 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 8:45:46 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 08 Sep 2019 00:32:12 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I'm bored. My wife and SIL are gone to a class reunion. Check out this
>> >picture of sweet corn muffins that I made today. There's not much color
>> >to them.
>> ><https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qf3djfdi4tlezy/corn%20muffins.jpg?dl=0>

>> I'd like to try those. Never had corn muffins before.
>>

>They're rather 'blonde' looking but you don't know what you're missing by
>having never eaten corn muffins.

Americans and their corn are like Asians and their soy beans.

<room reserved for Jebus>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Sep 2019 14:22:27 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 20:27:29 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 8:45:46 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sun, 08 Sep 2019 00:32:12 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell

>>> I'd like to try those. Never had corn muffins before.
>>>

>>They're rather 'blonde' looking but you don't know what you're missing by
>>having never eaten corn muffins.

>Americans and their corn are like Asians and their soy beans.
>
><room reserved for Jebus>

Yes, true in the sense it's overused thanks to lobbyists and
manufacturers in the U.S. But that's not to say corn is of itself bad
in moderation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Sep 2019 11:37:42 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Sep 2019 14:22:27 +1000, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 20:27:29 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>>>They're rather 'blonde' looking but you don't know what you're missing by
>>>having never eaten corn muffins.

>>Americans and their corn are like Asians and their soy beans.
>>
>><room reserved for Jebus>

>Yes, true in the sense it's overused thanks to lobbyists and
>manufacturers in the U.S. But that's not to say corn is of itself bad
>in moderation.

No, I don't think so either, although it's probably always GM in the
US.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 1:12:32 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Sep 2019 11:37:42 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 09 Sep 2019 14:22:27 +1000, Bruce >
> >wrote:

> >>Americans and their corn are like Asians and their soy beans.
> >>
> >><room reserved for Jebus>

> >Yes, true in the sense it's overused thanks to lobbyists and
> >manufacturers in the U.S. But that's not to say corn is of itself bad
> >in moderation.

> No, I don't think so either, although it's probably always GM in the
> US.

No, of course it isn't. Much of the sweet corn grown directly for the
table is non-GMO. Some dent corn is non-GMO so that some people can have
their fish tacos GMO-free.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/9/2019 1:12 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Sep 2019 11:37:42 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 09 Sep 2019 14:22:27 +1000, Bruce >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 20:27:29 -0700 (PDT), "

>>> Americans and their corn are like Asians and their soy beans.
>>>
>>> <room reserved for Jebus>

>> Yes, true in the sense it's overused thanks to lobbyists and
>> manufacturers in the U.S. But that's not to say corn is of itself bad
>> in moderation.

> No, I don't think so either, although it's probably always GM in the
> US.

GM is relatively new. Hybrid plants though, have been around for
centuries. Not just edibles, look at rose bushes. Many fruits are
hybrids.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 10:50:59 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 20:27:29 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 8:45:46 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:
> >>
> >> On Sun, 08 Sep 2019 00:32:12 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell

> >> I'd like to try those. Never had corn muffins before.
> >>

> >They're rather 'blonde' looking but you don't know what you're missing by
> >having never eaten corn muffins.

> Yes, they do sound good. Is it possible to use or add fresh corn at
> all or just cornmeal?

I've had cornbread with corn added and America's Test Kitchen did a cornbread
recipe last year using fresh corn. I can't say I really liked the addition
of added corn and the ATK recipe didn't impress me enough to try it.

For _me_ cornbread needs no gussying up another than copious amounts of
butter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 08:12:19 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 10:50:59 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 20:27:29 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>> >They're rather 'blonde' looking but you don't know what you're missing by
>> >having never eaten corn muffins.

>> Yes, they do sound good. Is it possible to use or add fresh corn at
>> all or just cornmeal?
>>

>I've had cornbread with corn added and America's Test Kitchen did a cornbread
>recipe last year using fresh corn. I can't say I really liked the addition
>of added corn and the ATK recipe didn't impress me enough to try it.
>
>For _me_ cornbread needs no gussying up another than copious amounts of
>butter.

I bake corn muffins often during winter months, I use the jumbo muffin
tins... I add about 20% coarse cornmeal to the fine and a can of
creamed corn. Many stores bake their muffins in paper liners, those
are not muffins, those are cupcakes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 10:55:17 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> Many stores bake their muffins in paper liners, those
> are not muffins, those are cupcakes.

They're still muffins; he just didn't overfill the liners. A bit blonde, but
I'd not refuse one if offered.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 1:07:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:

> > Many stores bake their muffins in paper liners, those
> > are not muffins, those are cupcakes.
> >

> They're still muffins; he just didn't overfill the liners. A bit blonde, but
> I'd not refuse one if offered.

Sheldon has some kind of irrational thing about muffins in paper liners.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-09 1:18 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 1:07:32 PM UTC-4,

>> They're still muffins; he just didn't overfill the liners. A bit
>> blonde, but I'd not refuse one if offered.

> Sheldon has some kind of irrational thing about muffins in paper
> liners.

It is more rational in my case. We make muffins frequently. They may be
plain, corn, bran, blueberry, cranberry carrot or some other variation,
but we never use paper liners. There are several local bakeries that
make them without liners. Then there are the kind you get in grocery
stores or cheap coffee shops, and they use liners. They are more like
cup cakes than muffins. They use a sweet, light batter and they are
definitely more like cake than muffins.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 10:07:27 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>> Many stores bake their muffins in paper liners, those
>> are not muffins, those are cupcakes.
>>

>They're still muffins; he just didn't overfill the liners. A bit blonde, but
>I'd not refuse one if offered.

Still not muffins, plus even for cupcakes they look raw... muffins are
crusty. And I didn't see them until now, the first time, three hours
ago it asked that I sign up. I guessed they'd be in paper liners as
so many here don't know the difference between a muffin and a cupcake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 3:02:52 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 10:07:27 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:

> >> Many stores bake their muffins in paper liners, those
> >> are not muffins, those are cupcakes.
> >>

> >They're still muffins; he just didn't overfill the liners. A bit blonde, but
> >I'd not refuse one if offered.

> Still not muffins, plus even for cupcakes they look raw... muffins are
> crusty. And I didn't see them until now, the first time, three hours
> ago it asked that I sign up. I guessed they'd be in paper liners as
> so many here don't know the difference between a muffin and a cupcake.

Is the difference a paper liner?

I was under the impression that cupcakes were made by creaming butter and
sugar (and then adding other ingredients) as for a cake--with a smooth batter--and that muffins are made like a quick bread, with a more lumpy batter.
Ideally, muffins have less sugar than cupcakes.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 10:18:23 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>> > Many stores bake their muffins in paper liners, those
>> > are not muffins, those are cupcakes.
>> >

>> They're still muffins; he just didn't overfill the liners. A bit blonde, but
>> I'd not refuse one if offered.

>Sheldon has some kind of irrational thing about muffins in paper liners.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

You're who's irrational, you permit your disdain to get in the way of
truth. To date I've not seen anything you've cooked so I don't
believe you can... and here you've proved that you can't by not
knowing the difference between a muffin and a cupcake.
Lousy bakeries use paper liners for muffin batter because they are too
lazy to grease muffin pans... however if they knew how to bake there'd
be nothing to wash as muffin tins need to be properly greased, they'd
pop right out cleanly and don't need washing before the next batch.
Now I know not only can't you cook you can't bake a lick either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 2:46:09 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> Lousy bakeries use paper liners for muffin batter because they are too
> lazy to grease muffin pans... however if they knew how to bake there'd
> be nothing to wash as muffin tins need to be properly greased, they'd
> pop right out cleanly and don't need washing before the next batch.
> Now I know not only can't you cook you can't bake a lick either.

No proof whatsoever but I'm guessing why bakeries use paper liners is for their
convenience as well as a bit of hygiene. Unless they wear plastic gloves con-
stantly they can pick up the muffins/cupcakes without actually touching the
baked product. Also, the customer can peel the liner away to eat it and keep
their hands reasonably clean. One scene comes readily to mind; people trying
to eat their breakfast while driving to work. Eating, driving, slurping their
coffee and let's not forget talking on their phones.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 3:46:09 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 10:18:23 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> They're still muffins; he just didn't overfill the liners. A bit blonde, but
> >> I'd not refuse one if offered.

> >Sheldon has some kind of irrational thing about muffins in paper liners.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> You're who's irrational, you permit your disdain to get in the way of
> truth. To date I've not seen anything you've cooked so I don't
> believe you can... and here you've proved that you can't by not
> knowing the difference between a muffin and a cupcake.
> Lousy bakeries use paper liners for muffin batter because they are too
> lazy to grease muffin pans... however if they knew how to bake there'd
> be nothing to wash as muffin tins need to be properly greased, they'd
> pop right out cleanly and don't need washing before the next batch.
> Now I know not only can't you cook you can't bake a lick either.

So you're saying that the only difference between cupcakes and muffins
is the paper liner?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-09 3:13 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 3:02:52 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 10:07:27 -0700 (PDT),
>> " > wrote:

Many stores bake their muffins in paper liners, those

>>> They're still muffins; he just didn't overfill the liners. A bit
>>> blonde, but I'd not refuse one if offered.

>> Still not muffins, plus even for cupcakes they look raw... muffins
>> are crusty. And I didn't see them until now, the first time, three
>> hours ago it asked that I sign up. I guessed they'd be in paper
>> liners as so many here don't know the difference between a muffin
>> and a cupcake.

> Is the difference a paper liner?
>
> I was under the impression that cupcakes were made by creaming butter
> and sugar (and then adding other ingredients) as for a cake--with a
> smooth batter--and that muffins are made like a quick bread, with a
> more lumpy batter. Ideally, muffins have less sugar than cupcakes.

That works for me. We always mix ours by hand, and not too much. My
experience with most of the muffins sold in coffee shops, grocery stores
and convenience stores is that they are more of a cake texture. They are
sweet and light.

FWIW, the corner bakery where I go for coffee and muffins sell honest to
goodness muffins with quality ingredients. They started using parchment
paper wrappers a year or two ago but still have a quality muffin
product... with a wrapper.

I am not saying they cannot be muffins because they have a wrapper. I am
only saying that most of the commercially made muffins with wrappers are
more like cupcakes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 3:43:34 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> So you're saying that the only difference between cupcakes and muffins
> is the paper liner?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I found this:

Definition of Cupcake and Muffin

Cupcake "€œ is a small cake baked in a special pan that can be eaten by one person in one sitting. Apart from their size, they have all the same attributes of a cake which can include frosting and other decorations.
Muffin "€œ is a small loaf of bread baked in a shallow, round pan. Unlike traditional loaves of bread, muffins generally have more butter and sugar in them.

And this one, too:

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyl...m-muffin-facts
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 13:43:31 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 3:46:09 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 10:18:23 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >Sheldon has some kind of irrational thing about muffins in paper liners.
>> >
>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> You're who's irrational, you permit your disdain to get in the way of
>> truth. To date I've not seen anything you've cooked so I don't
>> believe you can... and here you've proved that you can't by not
>> knowing the difference between a muffin and a cupcake.
>> Lousy bakeries use paper liners for muffin batter because they are too
>> lazy to grease muffin pans... however if they knew how to bake there'd
>> be nothing to wash as muffin tins need to be properly greased, they'd
>> pop right out cleanly and don't need washing before the next batch.
>> Now I know not only can't you cook you can't bake a lick either.

>So you're saying that the only difference between cupcakes and muffins
>is the paper liner?
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Realy... the paper liner totally eliminates the crust.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 08:12:19 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 10:50:59 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 20:27:29 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>> >They're rather 'blonde' looking but you don't know what you're missing by
>> >having never eaten corn muffins.

>> Yes, they do sound good. Is it possible to use or add fresh corn at
>> all or just cornmeal?
>>

>I've had cornbread with corn added and America's Test Kitchen did a cornbread
>recipe last year using fresh corn. I can't say I really liked the addition
>of added corn and the ATK recipe didn't impress me enough to try it.
>
>For _me_ cornbread needs no gussying up another than copious amounts of
>butter.

Yes. I may or may not like it. It would alter the texture a lot... I
just thought it might be a way to reduce the carbohydrates and G.I
(I'm a somewhat of an high GI/carbo-phobe)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 6:43:54 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 08:12:19 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >> Yes, they do sound good. Is it possible to use or add fresh corn at
> >> all or just cornmeal?
> >>

> >I've had cornbread with corn added and America's Test Kitchen did a cornbread
> >recipe last year using fresh corn. I can't say I really liked the addition
> >of added corn and the ATK recipe didn't impress me enough to try it.
> >
> >For _me_ cornbread needs no gussying up another than copious amounts of
> >butter.

> Yes. I may or may not like it. It would alter the texture a lot... I
> just thought it might be a way to reduce the carbohydrates and G.I
> (I'm a somewhat of an high GI/carbo-phobe)

The only way I know to reduce the carbs in corn/cornbread is to not eat it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 16:57:11 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 6:43:54 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:

>> >I've had cornbread with corn added and America's Test Kitchen did a cornbread
>> >recipe last year using fresh corn. I can't say I really liked the addition
>> >of added corn and the ATK recipe didn't impress me enough to try it.
>> >
>> >For _me_ cornbread needs no gussying up another than copious amounts of
>> >butter.

>> Yes. I may or may not like it. It would alter the texture a lot... I
>> just thought it might be a way to reduce the carbohydrates and G.I
>> (I'm a somewhat of an high GI/carbo-phobe)
>>

>The only way I know to reduce the carbs in corn/cornbread is to not eat it.

Well, indeed But I can indulge occasionally, regardless.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 7:06:49 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 16:57:11 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >The only way I know to reduce the carbs in corn/cornbread is to not eat it.

> Well, indeed But I can indulge occasionally, regardless.

Don't you just love the simple answers you find here??

;o))
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 02:50:15 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 1:12:32 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 09 Sep 2019 11:37:42 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>> >Yes, true in the sense it's overused thanks to lobbyists and
>> >manufacturers in the U.S. But that's not to say corn is of itself bad
>> >in moderation.

>> No, I don't think so either, although it's probably always GM in the
>> US.

>No, of course it isn't. Much of the sweet corn grown directly for the
>table is non-GMO. Some dent corn is non-GMO so that some people can have
>their fish tacos GMO-free.

"Currently, up to 92% of U.S. corn is genetically engineered (GE), as
are 94% of soybeans and 94% of cotton [1] (cottonseed oil is often
used in food products). It has been estimated that upwards of 75% of
processed foods on supermarket shelves €“ from soda to soup, crackers
to condiments €“ contain genetically engineered ingredients."
<https://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/issues/311/ge-foods/about-ge-foods>

There goes your biodiversity. Everything becomes the same. In the
future, all Americans will look and talk like Gary. You'll all have
freshly painted houses full of ferrets!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 02:50:15 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

>>> No, I don't think so either, although it's probably always GM in the
>>> US.

>> No, of course it isn't. Much of the sweet corn grown directly for the
>> table is non-GMO. Some dent corn is non-GMO so that some people can have
>> their fish tacos GMO-free.

> "Currently, up to 92% of U.S. corn is genetically engineered (GE), as
> are 94% of soybeans and 94% of cotton [1] (cottonseed oil is often
> used in food products). It has been estimated that upwards of 75% of
> processed foods on supermarket shelves €€œ from soda to soup, crackers
> to condiments €€œ contain genetically engineered ingredients."
> <https://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/issues/311/ge-foods/about-ge-foods>
>
> There goes your biodiversity. Everything becomes the same. In the
> future, all Americans will look and talk like Gary. You'll all have
> freshly painted houses full of ferrets!

And all their asses will look exactly like yoose face

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> Unix stuff. Look for every instance of "everything" and replace it with
> "something".

Did you catch my "sed" reference in Nuff sed? I just can't get over
myself

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I have not had cornmeal muffins. Do you always use the cupcake liners?
> We make muffins frequently and just grease the pans. They come out
> without problems.

I use the recipe right off a Albers Corn Meal box.
<http://alberscorn.com/sweet-corn-muffins/>
The recipe states that the muffins can be made with greased cups or
cupcake liners. I used liners. Next time I'll grease the tin up. It
ain't like it's difficult to do.
After I made them, I remembered that last time I made them, I
threatened to mix in blueberries. Next time, I will. cshenk suggested
dried fruit. That would be fine too.
They're good as I made them, but a little fruit oomph is a fine idea.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 7:17:25 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 02:50:15 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> No, I don't think so either, although it's probably always GM in the
> >> US.

> >No, of course it isn't. Much of the sweet corn grown directly for the
> >table is non-GMO. Some dent corn is non-GMO so that some people can have
> >their fish tacos GMO-free.

> "Currently, up to 92% of U.S. corn is genetically engineered (GE), as
> are 94% of soybeans and 94% of cotton [1] (cottonseed oil is often
> used in food products). It has been estimated that upwards of 75% of
> processed foods on supermarket shelves €“ from soda to soup, crackers
> to condiments €“ contain genetically engineered ingredients."
> <https://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/issues/311/ge-foods/about-ge-foods>
>
> There goes your biodiversity. Everything becomes the same. In the
> future, all Americans will look and talk like Gary. You'll all have
> freshly painted houses full of ferrets!

Eight percent of the corn grown in the U.S. is still a helluva lot of
corn. 8% of 366.6 million metric tons is close to 30 million metric
tons.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 8:51:23 PM UTC-4, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>
> > Unix stuff. Look for every instance of "everything" and replace it with
> > "something".

> Did you catch my "sed" reference in Nuff sed? I just can't get over
> myself
>
> leo

Yes. I didn't want to explain sed to Bruce.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 03:08:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 7:17:25 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 02:50:15 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >No, of course it isn't. Much of the sweet corn grown directly for the
>> >table is non-GMO. Some dent corn is non-GMO so that some people can have
>> >their fish tacos GMO-free.

>> "Currently, up to 92% of U.S. corn is genetically engineered (GE), as
>> are 94% of soybeans and 94% of cotton [1] (cottonseed oil is often
>> used in food products). It has been estimated that upwards of 75% of
>> processed foods on supermarket shelves €“ from soda to soup, crackers
>> to condiments €“ contain genetically engineered ingredients."
>> <https://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/issues/311/ge-foods/about-ge-foods>
>>
>> There goes your biodiversity. Everything becomes the same. In the
>> future, all Americans will look and talk like Gary. You'll all have
>> freshly painted houses full of ferrets!

>Eight percent of the corn grown in the U.S. is still a helluva lot of
>corn. 8% of 366.6 million metric tons is close to 30 million metric
>tons.

Most of your corn is GM, which was my point.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 03:09:32 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 8:51:23 PM UTC-4, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>>
>> > Unix stuff. Look for every instance of "everything" and replace it with
>> > "something".

>> Did you catch my "sed" reference in Nuff sed? I just can't get over
>> myself
>>
>> leo

>Yes. I didn't want to explain sed to Bruce.

Bunch of old Unix farts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 11, 2019 at 6:31:02 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 03:08:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 7:17:25 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 02:50:15 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> >> "Currently, up to 92% of U.S. corn is genetically engineered (GE), as
> >> are 94% of soybeans and 94% of cotton [1] (cottonseed oil is often
> >> used in food products). It has been estimated that upwards of 75% of
> >> processed foods on supermarket shelves €“ from soda to soup, crackers
> >> to condiments €“ contain genetically engineered ingredients."
> >> <https://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/issues/311/ge-foods/about-ge-foods>
> >>
> >> There goes your biodiversity. Everything becomes the same. In the
> >> future, all Americans will look and talk like Gary. You'll all have
> >> freshly painted houses full of ferrets!

> >Eight percent of the corn grown in the U.S. is still a helluva lot of
> >corn. 8% of 366.6 million metric tons is close to 30 million metric
> >tons.

> Most of your corn is GM, which was my point.

And my point is that people who don't want to eat GM corn can find
non-GM corn. You said "probably always", which is simply not the case.

The relatively few people who actually care about GMOs aren't likely to
eat grocery-store processed food anyway.

It's interesting that about half of Americans think GMOs are worse for
one's health, yet roughly 92% of them eat GMO corn (sometimes filtered
through farm animals first).

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 11, 2019 at 6:31:20 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 03:09:32 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 8:51:23 PM UTC-4, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> >> Did you catch my "sed" reference in Nuff sed? I just can't get over
> >> myself
> >>
> >> leo

> >Yes. I didn't want to explain sed to Bruce.

> Bunch of old Unix farts.

Yet these old Unix farts still get a ton accomplished with those tools.
Whenever the young whippersnappers at work have an intractable problem
one of us oldtimers solves it with a Unix shell script.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-11 9:17 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 11, 2019 at 6:31:02 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 03:08:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> Eight percent of the corn grown in the U.S. is still a helluva lot of
>>> corn. 8% of 366.6 million metric tons is close to 30 million metric
>>> tons.

>> Most of your corn is GM, which was my point.

> And my point is that people who don't want to eat GM corn can find
> non-GM corn. You said "probably always", which is simply not the case.
>
> The relatively few people who actually care about GMOs aren't likely to
> eat grocery-store processed food anyway.
>
> It's interesting that about half of Americans think GMOs are worse for
> one's health, yet roughly 92% of them eat GMO corn (sometimes filtered
> through farm animals first).

I am not concerned about health issues from GMO foods. I just dislike
their marketing. For as long as there has been agriculture farmers have
been saving a portion of their crop for seed for future crops. Farmers
bought seed and then cultivated the crops, replanted and the cycle
continued. With GMO plants they have to buy the seed new each year or
pay a license fee to sow the grain that they grew. They have prosecuted
farmers for using the seed of GMO grains that infiltrated their crops.
If I ran the world the farmers would be able to take action against
Monsanto for the contamination of their crops.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> "Currently, up to 92% of U.S. corn is genetically engineered (GE), as
> are 94% of soybeans and 94% of cotton [1] (cottonseed oil is often
> used in food products). It has been estimated that upwards of 75% of
> processed foods on supermarket shelves €“ from soda to soup, crackers
> to condiments €“ contain genetically engineered ingredients."
> <https://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/issues/311/ge-foods/about-ge-foods>

Science scares the hell out of you, doesn't it?
Educate yourself and maybe you'll learn that much of
it has improved lives.

As chemical compounds scare you so much, don't ever get
sick and require prescription meds. oh man

> There goes your biodiversity. Everything becomes the same. In the
> future, all Americans will look and talk like Gary. You'll all have
> freshly painted houses full of ferrets!

Sounds like my vision of Heaven except for the 'everyone looks
like Gary' part.

Recreating a dish - Shrimp Kisses Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 10 20-10-2014 12:03 AM
Recreating old wines Mike Gooding Wine 6 23-07-2009 07:20 PM
Do you like recreating restaurant food at home? [email protected] General Cooking 0 12-10-2007 11:28 PM
Lost posts?? Oso Barbecue 3 15-11-2004 02:18 PM
Recreating Danone creamy strawberry yogurt yihggh General Cooking 7 04-12-2003 02:33 AM