Old 06-08-2019, 01:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Civic Holiday dinner

I wasn't very hungry and had little interest in dinner. We had been out
to Canal Days in Port Colborne and we had shwarma for lunch. It was
piled high with chicken and miscellaneous extras. I was ready to take a
pass on dinner, but my wife suggested that we could use up a bag of
shrimp that was in the freezer as a nice,light dinner. We put the
shrimp in a bowl of water to thaw while I made a marinade of lemon
juice, olive oil, lots of garlic, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, some
ketchup, salt, pepper, hot sauce and parsley. I put the shrimp in to
marinade for about and hour, then stuck them on skewers. I had a roll
and some salad with it. It was fantastic.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 20:06:41 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:

I wasn't very hungry and had little interest in dinner. We had been out
to Canal Days in Port Colborne and we had shwarma for lunch. It was
piled high with chicken and miscellaneous extras. I was ready to take a
pass on dinner, but my wife suggested that we could use up a bag of
shrimp that was in the freezer as a nice,light dinner. We put the
shrimp in a bowl of water to thaw while I made a marinade of lemon
juice, olive oil, lots of garlic, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, some
ketchup, salt, pepper, hot sauce and parsley. I put the shrimp in to
marinade for about and hour, then stuck them on skewers. I had a roll
and some salad with it. It was fantastic.

Civic Holiday:
Statutory holiday in British Columbia (British Columbia Day), New
Brunswick (New Brunswick Day), Northwest Territories (Civic Holiday),
Nunavut (Civic Holiday), and Saskatchewan (Saskatchewan Day).

Civic holiday (may be a paid vacation day depending on employer) in
Alberta (Heritage Day), Manitoba (Terry Fox Day), Ontario (Colonel By
Day + John Galt Day + Simcoe Day + others), Nova Scotia (Natal Day),
Prince Edward Island (Federal Civic Holiday).

Not an official statutory holiday in Ontario, but it is widely
observed. Not observed in Newfoundland and Labrador, Quebec, or Yukon.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Damn Druce! When did yoose move to canada? Are yoose liking it so
far? I hope so.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 8:06:07 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
I wasn't very hungry and had little interest in dinner. We had been out
to Canal Days in Port Colborne and we had shwarma for lunch. It was
piled high with chicken and miscellaneous extras. I was ready to take a
pass on dinner, but my wife suggested that we could use up a bag of
shrimp that was in the freezer as a nice,light dinner. We put the
shrimp in a bowl of water to thaw while I made a marinade of lemon
juice, olive oil, lots of garlic, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, some
ketchup, salt, pepper, hot sauce and parsley. I put the shrimp in to
marinade for about and hour, then stuck them on skewers. I had a roll
and some salad with it. It was fantastic.

"Civic Holiday" is such a bland descriptor. Did it used to be called
something else?

Cindy Hamilton
Old 06-08-2019, 11:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 02:54:24 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 8:06:07 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
I wasn't very hungry and had little interest in dinner. We had been out
to Canal Days in Port Colborne and we had shwarma for lunch. It was
piled high with chicken and miscellaneous extras. I was ready to take a
pass on dinner, but my wife suggested that we could use up a bag of
shrimp that was in the freezer as a nice,light dinner. We put the
shrimp in a bowl of water to thaw while I made a marinade of lemon
juice, olive oil, lots of garlic, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, some
ketchup, salt, pepper, hot sauce and parsley. I put the shrimp in to
marinade for about and hour, then stuck them on skewers. I had a roll
and some salad with it. It was fantastic.

"Civic Holiday" is such a bland descriptor. Did it used to be called
something else?

Christmas is called "Non-denominational Holiday" in Canada.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Strange that, I have lived in Canada 52 years and have never heard it
called that.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
Christmas is called "Non-denominational Holiday" in Canada.

All this PC nonsense has gone way overboard these days.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-08-06 8:32 a.m., Gary wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Christmas is called "Non-denominational Holiday" in Canada.

All this PC nonsense has gone way overboard these days.

That may be, but Brucie has also gone a little overboard.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 Aug 2019 08:32:34 -0400, Gary wrote:

Bruce wrote:
Christmas is called "Non-denominational Holiday" in Canada.

All this PC nonsense has gone way overboard these days.

He is down under in Oz, it's called Christmas where I have lived in
Canada for 52 years!

Old 06-08-2019, 04:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:
We in Canada try our best to say 'Happy Holidays', instead of 'Merry Christmas'.

When sending out Christmas cards to customers each year, I always
choose those cards, not knowing what religion they were. It's the
safe alternative that covers all.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-08-06 11:15 a.m., Gary wrote:
A Moose in Love wrote:
We in Canada try our best to say 'Happy Holidays', instead of 'Merry Christmas'.

When sending out Christmas cards to customers each year, I always
choose those cards, not knowing what religion they were. It's the
safe alternative that covers all.

So.... you send out Christmas cards but are careful not to send
Christmas cards.

Holiday dinner plans? jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 21 22-12-2012 09:32 AM
Holiday dinner plans? Tara General Cooking 8 21-12-2012 05:37 PM
Holiday dinner #1 Steve Pope General Cooking 1 20-12-2008 10:50 PM
Holiday dinner wines Bi!! Wine 5 13-12-2007 11:42 PM
need help with holiday dinner Kim Combs General Cooking 1 13-12-2003 01:19 AM