Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Civic Holiday dinner

I wasn't very hungry and had little interest in dinner. We had been out
to Canal Days in Port Colborne and we had shwarma for lunch. It was
piled high with chicken and miscellaneous extras. I was ready to take a
pass on dinner, but my wife suggested that we could use up a bag of
shrimp that was in the freezer as a nice,light dinner. We put the
shrimp in a bowl of water to thaw while I made a marinade of lemon
juice, olive oil, lots of garlic, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, some
ketchup, salt, pepper, hot sauce and parsley. I put the shrimp in to
marinade for about and hour, then stuck them on skewers. I had a roll
and some salad with it. It was fantastic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 20:06:41 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I wasn't very hungry and had little interest in dinner. We had been out
>to Canal Days in Port Colborne and we had shwarma for lunch. It was
>piled high with chicken and miscellaneous extras. I was ready to take a
>pass on dinner, but my wife suggested that we could use up a bag of
>shrimp that was in the freezer as a nice,light dinner. We put the
>shrimp in a bowl of water to thaw while I made a marinade of lemon
>juice, olive oil, lots of garlic, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, some
>ketchup, salt, pepper, hot sauce and parsley. I put the shrimp in to
>marinade for about and hour, then stuck them on skewers. I had a roll
>and some salad with it. It was fantastic.

Civic Holiday:
Statutory holiday in British Columbia (British Columbia Day), New
Brunswick (New Brunswick Day), Northwest Territories (Civic Holiday),
Nunavut (Civic Holiday), and Saskatchewan (Saskatchewan Day).

Civic holiday (may be a paid vacation day depending on employer) in
Alberta (Heritage Day), Manitoba (Terry Fox Day), Ontario (Colonel By
Day + John Galt Day + Simcoe Day + others), Nova Scotia (Natal Day),
Prince Edward Island (Federal Civic Holiday).

Not an official statutory holiday in Ontario, but it is widely
observed. Not observed in Newfoundland and Labrador, Quebec, or Yukon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 20:06:41 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> I wasn't very hungry and had little interest in dinner. We had been out
>> to Canal Days in Port Colborne and we had shwarma for lunch. It was
>> piled high with chicken and miscellaneous extras. I was ready to take a
>> pass on dinner, but my wife suggested that we could use up a bag of
>> shrimp that was in the freezer as a nice,light dinner. We put the
>> shrimp in a bowl of water to thaw while I made a marinade of lemon
>> juice, olive oil, lots of garlic, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, some
>> ketchup, salt, pepper, hot sauce and parsley. I put the shrimp in to
>> marinade for about and hour, then stuck them on skewers. I had a roll
>> and some salad with it. It was fantastic.

> Civic Holiday:
> Statutory holiday in British Columbia (British Columbia Day), New
> Brunswick (New Brunswick Day), Northwest Territories (Civic Holiday),
> Nunavut (Civic Holiday), and Saskatchewan (Saskatchewan Day).
>
> Civic holiday (may be a paid vacation day depending on employer) in
> Alberta (Heritage Day), Manitoba (Terry Fox Day), Ontario (Colonel By
> Day + John Galt Day + Simcoe Day + others), Nova Scotia (Natal Day),
> Prince Edward Island (Federal Civic Holiday).
>
> Not an official statutory holiday in Ontario, but it is widely
> observed. Not observed in Newfoundland and Labrador, Quebec, or Yukon.

Damn Druce! When did yoose move to canada? Are yoose liking it so
far? I hope so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 8:06:07 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> I wasn't very hungry and had little interest in dinner. We had been out
> to Canal Days in Port Colborne and we had shwarma for lunch. It was
> piled high with chicken and miscellaneous extras. I was ready to take a
> pass on dinner, but my wife suggested that we could use up a bag of
> shrimp that was in the freezer as a nice,light dinner. We put the
> shrimp in a bowl of water to thaw while I made a marinade of lemon
> juice, olive oil, lots of garlic, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, some
> ketchup, salt, pepper, hot sauce and parsley. I put the shrimp in to
> marinade for about and hour, then stuck them on skewers. I had a roll
> and some salad with it. It was fantastic.

"Civic Holiday" is such a bland descriptor. Did it used to be called
something else?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 02:54:24 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 8:06:07 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>> I wasn't very hungry and had little interest in dinner. We had been out
>> to Canal Days in Port Colborne and we had shwarma for lunch. It was
>> piled high with chicken and miscellaneous extras. I was ready to take a
>> pass on dinner, but my wife suggested that we could use up a bag of
>> shrimp that was in the freezer as a nice,light dinner. We put the
>> shrimp in a bowl of water to thaw while I made a marinade of lemon
>> juice, olive oil, lots of garlic, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, some
>> ketchup, salt, pepper, hot sauce and parsley. I put the shrimp in to
>> marinade for about and hour, then stuck them on skewers. I had a roll
>> and some salad with it. It was fantastic.

>"Civic Holiday" is such a bland descriptor. Did it used to be called
>something else?

Christmas is called "Non-denominational Holiday" in Canada.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 Aug 2019 20:53:55 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 02:54:24 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 8:06:07 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> I wasn't very hungry and had little interest in dinner. We had been out
>>> to Canal Days in Port Colborne and we had shwarma for lunch. It was
>>> piled high with chicken and miscellaneous extras. I was ready to take a
>>> pass on dinner, but my wife suggested that we could use up a bag of
>>> shrimp that was in the freezer as a nice,light dinner. We put the
>>> shrimp in a bowl of water to thaw while I made a marinade of lemon
>>> juice, olive oil, lots of garlic, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, some
>>> ketchup, salt, pepper, hot sauce and parsley. I put the shrimp in to
>>> marinade for about and hour, then stuck them on skewers. I had a roll
>>> and some salad with it. It was fantastic.

>>"Civic Holiday" is such a bland descriptor. Did it used to be called
>>something else?

>Christmas is called "Non-denominational Holiday" in Canada.

Strange that, I have lived in Canada 52 years and have never heard it
called that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> Christmas is called "Non-denominational Holiday" in Canada.

All this PC nonsense has gone way overboard these days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-08-06 8:32 a.m., Gary wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>> Christmas is called "Non-denominational Holiday" in Canada.

> All this PC nonsense has gone way overboard these days.

That may be, but Brucie has also gone a little overboard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 Aug 2019 08:32:34 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> Christmas is called "Non-denominational Holiday" in Canada.

>All this PC nonsense has gone way overboard these days.

He is down under in Oz, it's called Christmas where I have lived in
Canada for 52 years!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:
> We in Canada try our best to say 'Happy Holidays', instead of 'Merry Christmas'.

When sending out Christmas cards to customers each year, I always
choose those cards, not knowing what religion they were. It's the
safe alternative that covers all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-08-06 11:15 a.m., Gary wrote:
> A Moose in Love wrote:
>> We in Canada try our best to say 'Happy Holidays', instead of 'Merry Christmas'.

> When sending out Christmas cards to customers each year, I always
> choose those cards, not knowing what religion they were. It's the
> safe alternative that covers all.

So.... you send out Christmas cards but are careful not to send
Christmas cards.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2019-08-06 11:15 a.m., Gary wrote:
> > A Moose in Love wrote:
> >> We in Canada try our best to say 'Happy Holidays', instead of 'Merry Christmas'.

> > When sending out Christmas cards to customers each year, I always
> > choose those cards, not knowing what religion they were. It's the
> > safe alternative that covers all.
> >

> So.... you send out Christmas cards but are careful not to send
> Christmas cards.

Exactly. I'll let you figure it out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 Aug 2019 10:15:15 -0400, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> >All this PC nonsense has gone way overboard these days.

>> He is down under in Oz, it's called Christmas where I have lived in
>> Canada for 52 years!

>WHEW! We should never turn so "correct" as to rename a popular
>holiday just because other religions complain. Screw them.
>
>Note: as you might remember, I dated a Jehovah's Witness once. Oh
>man, they had a huge problem with Christmas. She wouldn't even
>come to my house that day because we celebrated it (not in a
>religious way though). That's when I realized that the
>relationship would never work.

I remember my daughter being aghast when a JW boy her in class told
them they didn't do birthdays or Xmas - great loss of loot for kids
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> >All this PC nonsense has gone way overboard these days.

>> He is down under in Oz, it's called Christmas where I have lived in
>> Canada for 52 years!

>WHEW! We should never turn so "correct" as to rename a popular
>holiday just because other religions complain. Screw them.

Too late!

>Note: as you might remember, I dated a Jehovah's Witness once. Oh
>man, they had a huge problem with Christmas. She wouldn't even
>come to my house that day because we celebrated it (not in a
>religious way though). That's when I realized that the
>relationship would never work.

She already knew that too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 11:43:13 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-08-06 11:15 a.m., Gary wrote:
>> A Moose in Love wrote:
>>> We in Canada try our best to say 'Happy Holidays', instead of 'Merry Christmas'.

>> When sending out Christmas cards to customers each year, I always
>> choose those cards, not knowing what religion they were. It's the
>> safe alternative that covers all.
>>

>So.... you send out Christmas cards but are careful not to send
>Christmas cards.

Lol, good point. Gary should send out cards on the 3rd of September.
Nobody will know why and that's very inclusive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 07 Aug 2019 07:09:35 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 07:54:48 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>>> WHEW! We should never turn so "correct" as to rename a popular
>>> holiday just because other religions complain. Screw them.
>>>
>>> Note: as you might remember, I dated a Jehovah's Witness once. Oh
>>> man, they had a huge problem with Christmas. She wouldn't even
>>> come to my house that day because we celebrated it (not in a
>>> religious way though). That's when I realized that the
>>> relationship would never work.

>>We in Canada try our best to say 'Happy Holidays', instead of 'Merry Christmas'.

>Exactly. All my international work contacts say Happy Holidays. It's
>not PC to call it Christmas. Supermarkets don't play Christmas songs
>anymore (thank God). That would be non-inclusive.

The supermarkets do play Xmas songs here but one year they started Nov
1. I was livid and raised dust about not wanting any of that junk
prior to November 11, Remembrance Day. It worked, they haven't since.
Stores close here until noon on November 12.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>We in Canada try our best to say 'Happy Holidays', instead of 'Merry Christmas'.

>>I'm an atheist but I don't say that! I go with whatever festival it
>>is, Xian or Muslim, whatever.

>But you're so PC, it's scary.

That's a poor description of me, however I see no reason to disabuse
any of them for their fairytale imaginations. If they need those
props, so be it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>We in Canada try our best to say 'Happy Holidays', instead of 'Merry Christmas'.

>>Exactly. All my international work contacts say Happy Holidays. It's
>>not PC to call it Christmas. Supermarkets don't play Christmas songs
>>anymore (thank God). That would be non-inclusive.

>The supermarkets do play Xmas songs here but one year they started Nov
>1. I was livid and raised dust about not wanting any of that junk
>prior to November 11, Remembrance Day. It worked, they haven't since.
>Stores close here until noon on November 12.

What's happening on November 12?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>I remember my daughter being aghast when a JW boy her in class told
>>>them they didn't do birthdays or Xmas - great loss of loot for kids

>>You wouldn't joke about them if they were coloured people or Arabs.

>You tripped yourself there, he was a black kid.

But it's mainly a white religion. You'd never joke about Muslims. You
pussyfoot around them and patronise them
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 09:25:00 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-08-06 8:32 a.m., Gary wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:
>>> Christmas is called "Non-denominational Holiday" in Canada.

>> All this PC nonsense has gone way overboard these days.
>>

>That may be, but Brucie has also gone a little overboard.

Preferably waterboarded, but overboard is good too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 4:09:39 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> Supermarkets don't play Christmas songs
> anymore (thank God). That would be non-inclusive.

They do here. One local radio station plays nothing but Christmas music starting
the day after Thanksgiving until midnight Christmas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 15:28:54 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 4:09:39 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Supermarkets don't play Christmas songs
>> anymore (thank God). That would be non-inclusive.
>>

>They do here. One local radio station plays nothing but Christmas music starting
>the day after Thanksgiving until midnight Christmas.

But supermarkets/malls too?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>Exactly. All my international work contacts say Happy Holidays. It's
>>>not PC to call it Christmas. Supermarkets don't play Christmas songs
>>>anymore (thank God). That would be non-inclusive.

>>The supermarkets do play Xmas songs here but one year they started Nov
>>1. I was livid and raised dust about not wanting any of that junk
>>prior to November 11, Remembrance Day. It worked, they haven't since.
>>Stores close here until noon on November 12.

>What's happening on November 12?

Typo, November 11
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>You wouldn't joke about them if they were coloured people or Arabs.

>>You tripped yourself there, he was a black kid.

>But it's mainly a white religion. You'd never joke about Muslims. You
>pussyfoot around them and patronise them

I think you have big issues - I really don't care what religion people
are - unless they try to preach to me or try to convert me. As to
what colour they are, growing up as the only white kid amongst a sea
of Asian kids, I don't discriminate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 15:28:54 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 4:09:39 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Supermarkets don't play Christmas songs
>> anymore (thank God). That would be non-inclusive.
>>

>They do here. One local radio station plays nothing but Christmas music starting
>the day after Thanksgiving until midnight Christmas.

I've often thought they are the people who have killed the festival
About two weeks ago I went into Michaels, boiling hot day, the whole
place was done out with Halloween Stuff - arrggh - I left a comment at
the checkout.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 5:33:46 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 15:28:54 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 4:09:39 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> Supermarkets don't play Christmas songs
> >> anymore (thank God). That would be non-inclusive.
> >>

> >They do here. One local radio station plays nothing but Christmas music starting
> >the day after Thanksgiving until midnight Christmas.

> But supermarkets/malls too?

They do here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 6:07:31 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 15:28:54 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 4:09:39 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> Supermarkets don't play Christmas songs
> >> anymore (thank God). That would be non-inclusive.
> >>

> >They do here. One local radio station plays nothing but Christmas music starting
> >the day after Thanksgiving until midnight Christmas.

> I've often thought they are the people who have killed the festival
> About two weeks ago I went into Michaels, boiling hot day, the whole
> place was done out with Halloween Stuff - arrggh - I left a comment at
> the checkout.

Yep, I was in Michael's about a week or two ago and Halloween/Fall stuff is
everywhere. I was in another sorta/kinda craft store last week and they
had tons of the same type stuff out for sale as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 16:50:11 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 5:33:46 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 15:28:54 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>> >They do here. One local radio station plays nothing but Christmas music starting
>> >the day after Thanksgiving until midnight Christmas.

>> But supermarkets/malls too?
>>

>They do here.

Maybe it's in Sydney where they don't do it anymore. And maybe even in
particular suburbs. I'll have to investigate more locally.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> You tripped yourself there, he was a black kid.

>> But it's mainly a white religion. You'd never joke about Muslims. You
>> pussyfoot around them and patronise them

> I think you have big issues - I really don't care what religion people
> are - unless they try to preach to me or try to convert me.

Then you'd have loved this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oReEUdw_Mhs

Holiday dinner plans? jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 21 22-12-2012 09:32 AM
Holiday dinner plans? Tara General Cooking 8 21-12-2012 05:37 PM
Holiday dinner #1 Steve Pope General Cooking 1 20-12-2008 10:50 PM
Holiday dinner wines Bi!! Wine 5 13-12-2007 11:42 PM
need help with holiday dinner Kim Combs General Cooking 1 13-12-2003 01:19 AM