Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Civic Holiday dinner

wrote:

>> <yawn> "Civic Holiday CDN" is even noted on my USian wall calendar.

> If that was marked the other day, August 8, that would be correct. It
> is a Civic Holiday, for us in Halifax we call it Natal Day and there
> are parades, fireworks etc. I don't know what other towns call it, it
> varies across the country, which is why calendars use the generic
> Civic Holiday. However, despite your wide knowledge, it is not listed
> as Civic Holiday for December 25 - I just checked my Canadian Wildlife
> Calendar and it says Christmas Day.

Yes, August 8th is marked as a Civic Holiday (Canada), not December 25th.

As for Dave's shrimp, I'm glad they enjoyed it but it seems like the
marinade would be a tad overpowering for shrimp.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-08-09 2:43 a.m., Je�us wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 23:07:08 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>

>> The difference between the major religions.:
>>
>> Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah,
>> Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the head of the church,

> I guess Hindus and Buddhists need to get their numbers up to qualify
> as a major religion?

They would have to change colour so that I would be no whining about
racism in the joke.

>> Protestants do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

> Or the whorehouse.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-08-09 6:28 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, August 8, 2019 at 11:07:12 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Baptists (allegedly) don't drink or dance.Â* I'm told they show up for
>>> church on Sunday morning and wink and nod, nope, didn't see you out last
>>> night

>> OJ
>>

>> The difference between the major religions.:
>>
>> Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah,
>> Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the head of the church,
>> Protestants do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

> I always heard it as
>
> Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

Dammit. I ruined the joke.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-08-09 9:00 a.m., jmcquown wrote:

> Yes, August 8th is marked as a Civic Holiday (Canada), not December 25th.
>
> As for Dave's shrimp, I'm glad they enjoyed it but it seems like the
> marinade would be a tad overpowering for shrimp.

What can I say? I love it. My wife loves it. My son loves it. Everyone
who has ever had it here loved it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2019 10:16 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-08-09 9:00 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>

>> Yes, August 8th is marked as a Civic Holiday (Canada), not December 25th.
>>
>> As for Dave's shrimp, I'm glad they enjoyed it but it seems like the
>> marinade would be a tad overpowering for shrimp.

> What can I say? I love it. My wife loves it. My son loves it. Everyone
> who has ever had it here loved it.

I'm not knocking it, it's just not a marinade I'd think about using for
shrimp. Ketchup... well, just not a fan. Heck, I don't even care for
cocktail sauce for chilled shrimp. Scampi, sure! Just my preference.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> He doesn't have anything better to do. He deflects, changes course,
>>> tries to turn it from a thread about FOOD into a question about holidays.

>> A quote from Jill, in this "shrimp" thread:
>>
>>> There are hypocrites in any religion. My middle brother dated a
>>> Jehovah's Witness for a while. She allegedly didn't celebrate
>>> Christmas. She kept telling him so. Then she got ****ed off at him
>>> when he didn't give her a Christmas present. Gee, you can't have your
>>> cake and eat it too.

> She's allowed to be off subject when she chooses, but the same
> privilege is not accorded to other people. I think she is annoyed
> currently, maybe the SO didn't show up when he promised.

Replying to thread drift is one thing. Creating it to deflect is a
troll tactic. Bruce intentionally deflected the thread about Dave's
Marinated Shrimp to Christmas, which has nothing at all to do with
August 8th being a Civic Holiday in Canada.

As for my SO, everyone needs to stop listening to and spreading troll
bullshit.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Aug 2019 11:51:17 +1000, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 21:45:27 -0400, jmcquown >
> >wrote:

> >>He doesn't have anything better to do. He deflects, changes course,
> >>tries to turn it from a thread about FOOD into a question about holidays.

> >A quote from Jill, in this "shrimp" thread:
> >
> >>There are hypocrites in any religion. My middle brother dated a
> >>Jehovah's Witness for a while. She allegedly didn't celebrate
> >>Christmas. She kept telling him so. Then she got ****ed off at him
> >>when he didn't give her a Christmas present. Gee, you can't have your
> >>cake and eat it too.

> She's allowed to be off subject when she chooses, but the same
> privilege is not accorded to other people. I think she is annoyed
> currently, maybe the SO didn't show up when he promised.

LOL...!!!

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-08-09 10:42 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/9/2019 10:16 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2019-08-09 9:00 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>>

>>> Yes, August 8th is marked as a Civic Holiday (Canada), not
>>> December 25th.
>>>
>>> As for Dave's shrimp, I'm glad they enjoyed it but it seems like
>>> the marinade would be a tad overpowering for shrimp.

>> What can I say? I love it. My wife loves it. My son loves it.
>> Everyone who has ever had it here loved it.
>>

> I'm not knocking it, it's just not a marinade I'd think about using
> for shrimp. Ketchup... well, just not a fan. Heck, I don't even
> care for cocktail sauce for chilled shrimp. Scampi, sure! Just my
> preference.

There is not much ketchup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 8:00:43 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> As for Dave's shrimp, I'm glad they enjoyed it but it seems like the
> marinade would be a tad overpowering for shrimp.
>
> Jill

I've got a recipe for marinated shrimp much like Dave's but it also uses a
tablespoon or two of Old Bay Seasoning. It is spectacularly good and not
too strong or overpowering at all. But it is rather garlicy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> As for my SO, everyone needs to stop listening to and spreading
> troll bullshit.
>
> Jill

Yoose need to get a gardener

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 14:06:04 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>> As for my SO, everyone needs to stop listening to and spreading
>> troll bullshit.
>>
>> Jill

>Yoose need to get a gardener

Oh, I thought he was!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 10:46:44 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>Replying to thread drift is one thing. Creating it to deflect is a
>troll tactic.

LOL, whenever I caught out SF in a lie or something uncomfortable, she
would usually try to deflect to another subject

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-08-09 4:38 p.m., Je�us wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 10:46:44 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>

>> Replying to thread drift is one thing. Creating it to deflect is a
>> troll tactic.

> LOL, whenever I caught out SF in a lie or something uncomfortable, she
> would usually try to deflect to another subject

She was frequently acerbic too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 08:38:19 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 10:46:44 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>

>>Replying to thread drift is one thing. Creating it to deflect is a
>>troll tactic.

>LOL, whenever I caught out SF in a lie or something uncomfortable, she
>would usually try to deflect to another subject

Many people do that. Or they suddenly abandon a thread after they've
been proven wrong.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 16:45:48 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-08-09 4:38 p.m., Je?us wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 10:46:44 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Replying to thread drift is one thing. Creating it to deflect is a
>>> troll tactic.

>> LOL, whenever I caught out SF in a lie or something uncomfortable, she
>> would usually try to deflect to another subject
>>

>She was frequently acerbic too.

Yeah I remember her, think she's on Fools Book isn't she?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 16:45:48 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-08-09 4:38 p.m., Je?us wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 10:46:44 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Replying to thread drift is one thing. Creating it to deflect is a
>>> troll tactic.

>> LOL, whenever I caught out SF in a lie or something uncomfortable, she
>> would usually try to deflect to another subject
>>

>She was frequently acerbic too.

Oh yes. And frequently over the dumbest thing imaginable too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 11:57:13 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 11:44:25 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>Like you, I'm not on that dumb site.

>>I'm on that 'site'. I've made a significant amount of money from that
>>giant clusterfvck of a site. Does that mean I'm dumb for using
>>Faecebook?

>No. Facebook isn't dumb. Maybe it can be used in a dumb way.

Ironically it's pretty much the only thing that offends me on the
Internet. I'm talking about Facebook itself. There's so many serious
issues with the way they operate (political, legal, ethical and
moral), at some point governments will have to step in and break up
the company, as much as that goes against my general principles.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 12:00:03 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 11:57:13 +1000, Bruce >
>wrote:

>>>I'm on that 'site'. I've made a significant amount of money from that
>>>giant clusterfvck of a site. Does that mean I'm dumb for using
>>>Faecebook?

>>No. Facebook isn't dumb. Maybe it can be used in a dumb way.

>Mostly used by relatively recent arrivals on the Internet... the great
>mass of average, low I.Q majority of people in the world. It's been
>sad watching the average IQ decrease on the Internet over the past 20
>years or so.

Yes, the Internet has become more like the real world. I don't like
that it's becoming more and more paid. Newspaper sites, for instance.
I guess they don't have much choice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 12:04:54 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 11:57:13 +1000, Bruce >
>wrote:

>>>I'm on that 'site'. I've made a significant amount of money from that
>>>giant clusterfvck of a site. Does that mean I'm dumb for using
>>>Faecebook?

>>No. Facebook isn't dumb. Maybe it can be used in a dumb way.

>Ironically it's pretty much the only thing that offends me on the
>Internet. I'm talking about Facebook itself. There's so many serious
>issues with the way they operate (political, legal, ethical and
>moral), at some point governments will have to step in and break up
>the company, as much as that goes against my general principles.

Yes, the privacy issues. And the fact that they impose American
prudishness and censorship on the entire world. For instance, a
Belgian museum that has a lot of centuries old nude paintings can't
show them on their Facebook page. They keep being censored. Where's
the harm?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 8:25:48 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 18:06:21 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:

> >> I think she was alright. She had her own opinions, rather than
> >> following the herd.
> >>

> >She could dish it out but he couldn't take it. Why do you think she's on
> >Facebook?

> Hasn't she been here for over a decade? If you can't take it, you
> don't last a month here.

She hasn't been gone that long; a few years but not a decade.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 19:38:51 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 8:25:48 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

>> >She could dish it out but he couldn't take it. Why do you think she's on
>> >Facebook?

>> Hasn't she been here for over a decade? If you can't take it, you
>> don't last a month here.
>>

>She hasn't been gone that long; a few years but not a decade.

I meant: hasn't she been active in RFC for more than a decade?

By the way, I saw you arrive in RFC a few years ago, but you talk as
if you've been here longer than me. Where you gone for a few years or
did you change name?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 12:31:21 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 12:00:03 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 11:57:13 +1000, Bruce >
>>wrote:

>>>No. Facebook isn't dumb. Maybe it can be used in a dumb way.

>>Mostly used by relatively recent arrivals on the Internet... the great
>>mass of average, low I.Q majority of people in the world. It's been
>>sad watching the average IQ decrease on the Internet over the past 20
>>years or so.

>Yes, the Internet has become more like the real world. I don't like
>that it's becoming more and more paid. Newspaper sites, for instance.
>I guess they don't have much choice.

Joe Redneck/Bogan gets on the Internet. Clicks on everything,
especially all the 'free stuff'. Gets unauthorized transactions on
their credit card.... "please help us Mr Government, save us from our
own lack of common sense and all the bad people out there". Govco rubs
their hands with glee and say "yes, of course". Happy to destroy a
wonderful and free thing and turn it into yet another instrument of
control and oppression.

Holiday dinner plans? jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 21 22-12-2012 08:32 AM
Holiday dinner plans? Tara General Cooking 8 21-12-2012 04:37 PM
Holiday dinner #1 Steve Pope General Cooking 1 20-12-2008 09:50 PM
Holiday dinner wines Bi!! Wine 5 13-12-2007 10:42 PM
need help with holiday dinner Kim Combs General Cooking 1 13-12-2003 12:19 AM