Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Reverse sear a steak

Recently I've seen where cooking first, then searing gives good results.
I tried it tonight.

I put a steak on the grill and let it cook to my preferred doneness.
Then I moved it to the sear burner to finish quickly.

I did not like the results. It cooked too evenly and did not get a good
sear on the outside. It was my first attempt and I'm sure it would be
better with practice. Meantime, my old method makes a damned good steak
so I think I will just stick with it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

Recently I've seen where cooking first, then searing gives good results.
I tried it tonight.

I put a steak on the grill and let it cook to my preferred doneness.
Then I moved it to the sear burner to finish quickly.

I did not like the results. It cooked too evenly and did not get a good
sear on the outside. It was my first attempt and I'm sure it would be
better with practice. Meantime, my old method makes a damned good steak
so I think I will just stick with it.

====

Sear first? D. recently bought a grill and we will be learning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 7:59:14 PM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Recently I've seen where cooking first, then searing gives good results.
> I tried it tonight.
>
> I put a steak on the grill and let it cook to my preferred doneness.
> Then I moved it to the sear burner to finish quickly.
>
> I did not like the results. It cooked too evenly and did not get a good
> sear on the outside. It was my first attempt and I'm sure it would be
> better with practice. Meantime, my old method makes a damned good steak
> so I think I will just stick with it.

sous vide then sear. perfect edge to edge doneness you like and tender and juicy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 09:09:24 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 7:59:14 PM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Recently I've seen where cooking first, then searing gives good results.
>> I tried it tonight.
>>
>> I put a steak on the grill and let it cook to my preferred doneness.
>> Then I moved it to the sear burner to finish quickly.
>>
>> I did not like the results. It cooked too evenly and did not get a good
>> sear on the outside. It was my first attempt and I'm sure it would be
>> better with practice. Meantime, my old method makes a damned good steak
>> so I think I will just stick with it.

>sous vide then sear. perfect edge to edge doneness you like and tender and juicy

I prefer a steak pan-fried, cooks evenly but more rare towards the
interior, with a nice crust. At the end I like to stand the steak up
on its edges with tongs to brown the perimeter... I don't think a
rare/bloody perimeter makes for a nice presentation. I see no point
in using more than one piece of cookware to cook a steak or to cook
most anything else.... I think lighting an oven to finish cooking a
piece of meat is as stupid as stupid gets... simply indicates someone
can't cook a lick.... doubles the odds of over cooking.

Another thing, I don't believe it's possible to properly pan-fry a
steak or anything else on an electric top burner... electric top
burners are okay for boiling water but not much else. There's a very
good reason why top of the line restaurants don't cook on electric
stoves, not even the local greasy spoon uses an eletric stove. I
wouldn't patronize a pizzaria that uses electric ovens.
In the Navy I did a lot of cooking with electric because we had no
gas, it's not posssible to cook well with electric. Actually much of
the cooking was done with steam jacketed kettles, too bad there are
none for home kitchens.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/14/2019 6:30 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski"Â* wrote in message ...
> Recently I've seen where cooking first, then searing gives good results.
> Â*I tried it tonight.
>
> I put a steak on the grill and let it cook to my preferred doneness.
> Then I moved it to the sear burner to finish quickly.
>
> I did not like the results.Â* It cooked too evenly and did not get a good
> sear on the outside.Â* It was my first attempt and I'm sure it would be
> better with practice.Â* Meantime, my old method makes a damned good steak
> so I think I will just stick with it.
>
> ====
>
> Â*Â*Â* Sear first?Â*Â* D. recently bought a grill and we will be learning.

That is the typical method. On a grill, get one side very hot, normal
hot the other side. Put the steak on to sear, flip to the other side,
then move it to the cooler side. We like medium rare. Time depends on
the thickness and temperature. I like to take it off the heat at 110
and let stand.

You can always put it back on the heat if under-cooked but once
overcooked you are screwed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 4:59:14 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Recently I've seen where cooking first, then searing gives good results.
> I tried it tonight.
>
> I put a steak on the grill and let it cook to my preferred doneness.
> Then I moved it to the sear burner to finish quickly.
>
> I did not like the results. It cooked too evenly and did not get a good
> sear on the outside. It was my first attempt and I'm sure it would be
> better with practice. Meantime, my old method makes a damned good steak
> so I think I will just stick with it.

Who knew that searing a piece of meat could be so difficult? I tried reverse searing a roast with a propane torch. That proved unsatisfactory. Next time I'm gonna dip the roast in gunpowder first.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2019 10:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Recently I've seen where cooking first, then searing gives good results.
> Â*I tried it tonight.
>
> I put a steak on the grill and let it cook to my preferred doneness.
> Then I moved it to the sear burner to finish quickly.
>
> I did not like the results.Â* It cooked too evenly and did not get a good
> sear on the outside.Â* It was my first attempt and I'm sure it would be
> better with practice.Â* Meantime, my old method makes a damned good steak
> so I think I will just stick with it.

You gave it the ol' college try. I'll stick with the sear first then
cook on reduced heat to finish method. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/14/2019 12:09 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 7:59:14 PM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Recently I've seen where cooking first, then searing gives good results.
>> I tried it tonight.
>>
>> I put a steak on the grill and let it cook to my preferred doneness.
>> Then I moved it to the sear burner to finish quickly.
>>
>> I did not like the results. It cooked too evenly and did not get a good
>> sear on the outside. It was my first attempt and I'm sure it would be
>> better with practice. Meantime, my old method makes a damned good steak
>> so I think I will just stick with it.

> sous vide then sear. perfect edge to edge doneness you like and tender and juicy

I know you love sous vide but how long does it take?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> In the Navy I ... Bla bla bla ...

Ahoy! Pipe me aboard Popeye.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/14/2019 6:30 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Ed Pawlowski"Â* wrote in message
>> Recently I've seen where cooking first, then searing gives good
>> results. *Â*I tried it tonight.
>>
>> I put a steak on the grill and let it cook to my preferred
>> doneness. Then I moved it to the sear burner to finish quickly.
>>
>> I did not like the results.Â* It cooked too evenly and did not get
>> a good sear on the outside.Â* It was my first attempt and I'm sure
>> it would be better with practice.Â* Meantime, my old method makes
>> a damned good steak so I think I will just stick with it.
>>
>> ====
>>
>> *Â*Â*Â* Sear first?Â*Â* D. recently bought a grill and we will be
>> learning.
>>

> That is the typical method.* On a grill, get one side very hot,
> normal hot the other side.* Put the steak on to sear, flip to the
> other side, then move it to the cooler side.* We like medium rare.
> Time depends on the thickness and temperature.* I like to take it
> off the heat at 110 and let stand.
>
> You can always put it back on the heat if under-cooked but once
> overcooked you are screwed.

Even if yoose have a steam jacketed kettle?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 4:45:05 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 09:09:24 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 7:59:14 PM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >> Recently I've seen where cooking first, then searing gives good results.
> >> I tried it tonight.
> >>
> >> I put a steak on the grill and let it cook to my preferred doneness.
> >> Then I moved it to the sear burner to finish quickly.
> >>
> >> I did not like the results. It cooked too evenly and did not get a good
> >> sear on the outside. It was my first attempt and I'm sure it would be
> >> better with practice. Meantime, my old method makes a damned good steak
> >> so I think I will just stick with it.

> >sous vide then sear. perfect edge to edge doneness you like and tender and juicy

> I prefer a steak pan-fried, cooks evenly but more rare towards the
> interior, with a nice crust. At the end I like to stand the steak up
> on its edges with tongs to brown the perimeter... I don't think a
> rare/bloody perimeter makes for a nice presentation. I see no point
> in using more than one piece of cookware to cook a steak or to cook
> most anything else.... I think lighting an oven to finish cooking a
> piece of meat is as stupid as stupid gets... simply indicates someone
> can't cook a lick.... doubles the odds of over cooking.
>
> Another thing, I don't believe it's possible to properly pan-fry a
> steak or anything else on an electric top burner... electric top
> burners are okay for boiling water but not much else. There's a very
> good reason why top of the line restaurants don't cook on electric
> stoves, not even the local greasy spoon uses an eletric stove. I
> wouldn't patronize a pizzaria that uses electric ovens.
> In the Navy I did a lot of cooking with electric because we had no
> gas, it's not posssible to cook well with electric. Actually much of
> the cooking was done with steam jacketed kettles, too bad there are
> none for home kitchens.

A poor workman always blames the tools.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> steam jacketed kettles

Even with steam jacketed kettles?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

On 7/14/2019 6:30 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...
> Recently I've seen where cooking first, then searing gives good results.
> I tried it tonight.
>
> I put a steak on the grill and let it cook to my preferred doneness.
> Then I moved it to the sear burner to finish quickly.
>
> I did not like the results. It cooked too evenly and did not get a good
> sear on the outside. It was my first attempt and I'm sure it would be
> better with practice. Meantime, my old method makes a damned good steak
> so I think I will just stick with it.
>
> ====
>
> Sear first? D. recently bought a grill and we will be learning.

That is the typical method. On a grill, get one side very hot, normal
hot the other side. Put the steak on to sear, flip to the other side,
then move it to the cooler side. We like medium rare. Time depends on
the thickness and temperature. I like to take it off the heat at 110
and let stand.

You can always put it back on the heat if under-cooked but once
overcooked you are screwed.

====

Noted and saved! Thanks very much))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 4:59:14 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Recently I've seen where cooking first, then searing gives good results.
> I tried it tonight.
>
> I put a steak on the grill and let it cook to my preferred doneness.
> Then I moved it to the sear burner to finish quickly.
>
> I did not like the results. It cooked too evenly and did not get a good
> sear on the outside. It was my first attempt and I'm sure it would be
> better with practice. Meantime, my old method makes a damned good steak
> so I think I will just stick with it.

Who knew that searing a piece of meat could be so difficult? I tried reverse
searing a roast with a propane torch. That proved unsatisfactory. Next time
I'm gonna dip the roast in gunpowder first.

===

LOL don't get me to try that ....)