Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soaking beans

Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot. About
6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
nothern beans overnight.

If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 12:39:30 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

> Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot. About
> 6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
> nothern beans overnight.
>
> If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
> as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?
>
> TIA

I don't see why not. Kinda doubtful they'd need extra water but if you're
more comfortable adding the extra liquid then by all means do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2019 1:39 PM, KenK wrote:
> Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot. About
> 6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
> nothern beans overnight.
>
> If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
> as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?
>
> TIA

There's always the quick soak method for dried beans. Only takes an
hour. Bring the beans to a boil in a pot, well covered with water.
Reduce the heat and simmer, cook for an hour. Take off the heat. Drain
the beans. Then use them in the crockpot, slow cooking for hours with
all the additional liquid required to make soup. Even a crock pot
requires liquid. Gotta start out with fairly tender beans, too. It
might be easier and cheaper for you to buy and make soup using canned beans.

I've got a great Spicy Five Bean soup recipe. It calls for canned
beans. I cook it in the crock pot on LOW because it needs to simmer for
a bit to blend the flavours. I can put everything in the pot and walk
away and do things around the house. I never have to worry about
soaking beans or the soup not being delicious.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:
> Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot. About
> 6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
> nothern beans overnight.
>
> If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
> as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?

i never soak beans, just bring them to a boil and
then simmer them until done is how i do it.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 17:46:33 -0400, songbird >
wrote:

>KenK wrote:
>> Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot. About
>> 6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
>> nothern beans overnight.
>>
>> If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
>> as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?

> i never soak beans, just bring them to a boil and
>then simmer them until done is how i do it.

I soak them shorter or longer and in various ways, depending on time
and planning. But I'm still not sure if it makes a difference in terms
of how easy the beans are to digest. Now that we're used to them,
which took a few weeks, they're always ok. And the flavour's always
good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 5:25:08 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 17:46:33 -0400, songbird >
> wrote:
>
> >KenK wrote:
> >> Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot. About
> >> 6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
> >> nothern beans overnight.
> >>
> >> If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
> >> as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?

> > i never soak beans, just bring them to a boil and
> >then simmer them until done is how i do it.

> I soak them shorter or longer and in various ways, depending on time
> and planning. But I'm still not sure if it makes a difference in terms
> of how easy the beans are to digest. Now that we're used to them,
> which took a few weeks, they're always ok. And the flavour's always
> good.

I put my beans in their soak water in the refrigerator for the first time recently and it did not suck.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 15:30:18 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 5:25:08 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 17:46:33 -0400, songbird >
>> wrote:

>> > i never soak beans, just bring them to a boil and
>> >then simmer them until done is how i do it.

>> I soak them shorter or longer and in various ways, depending on time
>> and planning. But I'm still not sure if it makes a difference in terms
>> of how easy the beans are to digest. Now that we're used to them,
>> which took a few weeks, they're always ok. And the flavour's always
>> good.

>I put my beans in their soak water in the refrigerator for the first time recently and it did not suck.

I'm beginning to think that you can't do much wrong except seriously
undercook them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 4:57:30 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:

> KenK wrote:
>
> > Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot. About
> > 6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
> > nothern beans overnight.
> >
> > If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
> > as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?

> i never soak beans, just bring them to a boil and
> then simmer them until done is how i do it.
>
> songbird

Same here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 17:46:33 -0400, songbird >
> wrote:
>
>> KenK wrote:
>>> Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot. About
>>> 6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
>>> nothern beans overnight.
>>>
>>> If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
>>> as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?

>> i never soak beans, just bring them to a boil and
>> then simmer them until done is how i do it.

> I soak them shorter or longer and in various ways, depending on time
> and planning. But I'm still not sure if it makes a difference in terms
> of how easy the beans are to digest. Now that we're used to them,
> which took a few weeks, they're always ok. And the flavour's always
> good.

The normal bacterial flora in your gut will adapt. That's why people
that eat lots of beans don't have gas problems.

If you don't eat beans for a long time, then eat a belly full, you
will find yourself having to adapt again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot.
> About
> 6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
> nothern beans overnight.
>
> If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
> as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?

Just do a quick soak on the stove. Use a lot of water in the pot, bring to a
boil, boil for a minute then shut the heat off and let sit for an hour.
Drain, rinse and cook as usual.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 7/13/2019 1:39 PM, KenK wrote:
>> Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot.
>> About
>> 6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak
>> the
>> nothern beans overnight.
>>
>> If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
>> as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> There's always the quick soak method for dried beans. Only takes an hour.
> Bring the beans to a boil in a pot, well covered with water. Reduce the
> heat and simmer, cook for an hour. Take off the heat. Drain the beans.
> Then use them in the crockpot, slow cooking for hours with all the
> additional liquid required to make soup. Even a crock pot requires
> liquid. Gotta start out with fairly tender beans, too. It might be
> easier and cheaper for you to buy and make soup using canned beans.
>
> I've got a great Spicy Five Bean soup recipe. It calls for canned beans.
> I cook it in the crock pot on LOW because it needs to simmer for a bit to
> blend the flavours. I can put everything in the pot and walk away and do
> things around the house. I never have to worry about soaking beans or the
> soup not being delicious.

You don't want to cook them for an hour like that. You need to boil for a
minute then soak for an hour, then cook. If you cook them for an hour
first, they could lose their shape.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 7:39:30 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
> Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot. About
> 6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
> nothern beans overnight.
>
> If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
> as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?
>
> TIA
>

> --
> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

I don't think you even have to soak the beans if you cook it in a crockpot. Just add as much water as you want and cook it for as long as it takes. 6 hours should be plenty. I was going to cook some beans in a pressure cooker but just used a plain old pot. I don't remember how long it took or how much water was added. Those things just don't seem to be that important.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...yUWVdbNdZ743vb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 02:17:53 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 7:39:30 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
>> Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot. About
>> 6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
>> nothern beans overnight.
>>
>> If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
>> as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?
>>
>> TIA
>>

>> --
>> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

>I don't think you even have to soak the beans if you cook it in a crockpot. Just add as much water as you want and cook it for as long as it takes. 6 hours should be plenty. I was going to cook some beans in a pressure cooker but just used a plain old pot. I don't remember how long it took or how much water was added. Those things just don't seem to be that important.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...yUWVdbNdZ743vb

Is a "crockpot" a very slow process? I cook beans in a pot on the hub
for 1 to 2 hours and then they're soft. What more could I achieve?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 02:17:53 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 7:39:30 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
>> Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot.
>> About
>> 6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak
>> the
>> nothern beans overnight.
>>
>> If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
>> as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?
>>
>> TIA
>>

>> --
>> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

>I don't think you even have to soak the beans if you cook it in a crockpot.
>Just add as much water as you want and cook it for as long as it takes. 6
>hours should be plenty. I was going to cook some beans in a pressure cooker
>but just used a plain old pot. I don't remember how long it took or how
>much water was added. Those things just don't seem to be that important.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...yUWVdbNdZ743vb

Is a "crockpot" a very slow process? I cook beans in a pot on the hub
for 1 to 2 hours and then they're soft. What more could I achieve?

====

Being able to go out or do something else for the day if you want and
let it do its own thing Can be very useful

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 11:53:53 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 02:17:53 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 7:39:30 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
>>> Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot.
>>> About
>>> 6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak
>>> the
>>> nothern beans overnight.
>>>
>>> If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
>>> as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>>> --
>>> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

>>I don't think you even have to soak the beans if you cook it in a crockpot.
>>Just add as much water as you want and cook it for as long as it takes. 6
>>hours should be plenty. I was going to cook some beans in a pressure cooker
>>but just used a plain old pot. I don't remember how long it took or how
>>much water was added. Those things just don't seem to be that important.
>>
>>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...yUWVdbNdZ743vb

>Is a "crockpot" a very slow process? I cook beans in a pot on the hub
>for 1 to 2 hours and then they're soft. What more could I achieve?
>
>====
>
> Being able to go out or do something else for the day if you want and
>let it do its own thing Can be very useful

I'd rather get it over and done with. If I go out, I might not come
back until the house is on fire.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 11:53:53 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 02:17:53 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 7:39:30 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
>>> Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot.
>>> About
>>> 6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak
>>> the
>>> nothern beans overnight.
>>>
>>> If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra
>>> water
>>> as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>>> --
>>> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

>>I don't think you even have to soak the beans if you cook it in a
>>crockpot.
>>Just add as much water as you want and cook it for as long as it takes. 6
>>hours should be plenty. I was going to cook some beans in a pressure
>>cooker
>>but just used a plain old pot. I don't remember how long it took or how
>>much water was added. Those things just don't seem to be that important.
>>
>>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...yUWVdbNdZ743vb

>Is a "crockpot" a very slow process? I cook beans in a pot on the hub
>for 1 to 2 hours and then they're soft. What more could I achieve?
>
>====
>
> Being able to go out or do something else for the day if you want and
>let it do its own thing Can be very useful

I'd rather get it over and done with. If I go out, I might not come
back until the house is on fire.

==

Your choice))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> I don't think you even have to soak the beans if you cook it in a crockpot. Just add as much water as you want and cook it for as long as it takes. 6 hours should be plenty. I was going to cook some beans in a pressure cooker but just used a plain old pot. I don't remember how long it took or how much water was added. Those things just don't seem to be that important.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...yUWVdbNdZ743vb

That bowl of soup looks very tasty but I don't see many beans.
They are NOT the star of the dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> "Ophelia" wrote:
>
> >"Bruce" wrote:
> >Is a "crockpot" a very slow process? I cook beans in a pot on the hub
> >for 1 to 2 hours and then they're soft. What more could I achieve?
> >
> >====
> >
> > Being able to go out or do something else for the day if you want and
> >let it do its own thing Can be very useful

> I'd rather get it over and done with. If I go out, I might not come
> back until the house is on fire.

I also won't turn on a crockpot and leave the house for work or
even shopping. Have an accident while out and you don't want to
worry about that still cooking.

I only use mine as a convenience when I'm at home. Start in the
morning and never need to check it until it's done which can be
at least up to 48 hours. I had to leave it on that long once.

During that day, while it's cooking, if I have to run out for a
short time, I just unplug it and put a folded dish towel on top
to keep it hot, then turn it back on when I get home.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

dsi1 wrote:
> I don't think you even have to soak the beans if you cook it in a
> crockpot. Just add as much water as you want and cook it for as long as it
> takes. 6 hours should be plenty. I was going to cook some beans in a
> pressure cooker but just used a plain old pot. I don't remember how long
> it took or how much water was added. Those things just don't seem to be
> that important.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...yUWVdbNdZ743vb

That bowl of soup looks very tasty but I don't see many beans.
They are NOT the star of the dish.

===

Do they have to be? Do you not just add as many as you want?

I don't do dried beans yet. I will when I find some)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> I don't do dried beans yet. I will when I find some)

Surely, you just haven't looked for any yet?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 4:09:06 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > I don't think you even have to soak the beans if you cook it in a crockpot. Just add as much water as you want and cook it for as long as it takes.. 6 hours should be plenty. I was going to cook some beans in a pressure cooker but just used a plain old pot. I don't remember how long it took or how much water was added. Those things just don't seem to be that important.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...yUWVdbNdZ743vb

> That bowl of soup looks very tasty but I don't see many beans.
> They are NOT the star of the dish.

They might be the star of the dish, but you just can't see them because the beans don't float. What does float is the pieces of whole deep-fried garlic. Those things float like kayaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:
> I don't do dried beans yet. I will when I find some)

Surely, you just haven't looked for any yet?

Hmmm you do have a point ... <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hank Rogers wrote:
> The normal bacterial flora in your gut will adapt. That's why people
> that eat lots of beans don't have gas problems.
>
> If you don't eat beans for a long time, then eat a belly full, you
> will find yourself having to adapt again.

yeah. that and if you put a lot of spicy fatty meats
and such in them then you get more noticeable gas. i
like them fairly plain most of the time so we're ok.
once in a while i put cheese, hot sauce and onions on
them for a change of pace. to us they are filler and
fiber, we use a lot of them in salads.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> You don't want to cook them for an hour like that. You need to boil for a
> minute then soak for an hour, then cook. If you cook them for an hour
> first, they could lose their shape.

i have some small firm beans that won't blink at being
cooked for 2-3hrs. i use them in chili most of the time
because them being firm like that can stretch the meat
further - they taste just fine.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> I soak them shorter or longer and in various ways, depending on time
> and planning. But I'm still not sure if it makes a difference in terms
> of how easy the beans are to digest. Now that we're used to them,
> which took a few weeks, they're always ok. And the flavour's always
> good.

that's what i like about them, they can stand up to
some abuse.

the only thing that doesn't work well for some beans
(especially the red ones) is not cooking them at a hot
enough temperature. some crock-pots will not get hot
enough on low setting to destroy some heat-sensitive
toxins.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 13:52:20 -0400, songbird >
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> I soak them shorter or longer and in various ways, depending on time
>> and planning. But I'm still not sure if it makes a difference in terms
>> of how easy the beans are to digest. Now that we're used to them,
>> which took a few weeks, they're always ok. And the flavour's always
>> good.

> that's what i like about them, they can stand up to
>some abuse.
>
> the only thing that doesn't work well for some beans
>(especially the red ones) is not cooking them at a hot
>enough temperature. some crock-pots will not get hot
>enough on low setting to destroy some heat-sensitive
>toxins.

Yes, that's something to keep in mind.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 Gary wrote:
>dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> I don't think you even have to soak the beans if you cook it in a crockpot. Just add as much water as you want and cook it for as long as it takes. 6 hours should be plenty. I was going to cook some beans in a pressure cooker but just used a plain old pot. I don't remember how long it took or how much water was added. Those things just don't seem to be that important.
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...yUWVdbNdZ743vb

>That bowl of soup looks very tasty but I don't see many beans.
>They are NOT the star of the dish.

That doesn't look like soup, looks more like someone forgot to flush.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 16:56:33 -0400, wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 Gary wrote:
>>dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't think you even have to soak the beans if you cook it in a crockpot. Just add as much water as you want and cook it for as long as it takes. 6 hours should be plenty. I was going to cook some beans in a pressure cooker but just used a plain old pot. I don't remember how long it took or how much water was added. Those things just don't seem to be that important.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...yUWVdbNdZ743vb

>>That bowl of soup looks very tasty but I don't see many beans.
>>They are NOT the star of the dish.

>That doesn't look like soup, looks more like someone forgot to flush.

Looks fine to me, beans or not. Besides, he said "garlic"!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 10:56:37 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 Gary wrote:
> >dsi1 wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't think you even have to soak the beans if you cook it in a crockpot. Just add as much water as you want and cook it for as long as it takes. 6 hours should be plenty. I was going to cook some beans in a pressure cooker but just used a plain old pot. I don't remember how long it took or how much water was added. Those things just don't seem to be that important.
> >>
> >> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...yUWVdbNdZ743vb

> >That bowl of soup looks very tasty but I don't see many beans.
> >They are NOT the star of the dish.

> That doesn't look like soup, looks more like someone forgot to flush.

The rfc picture posting experience just wouldn't be complete without your witty, ***, doodie comment. Truly, yoose is the king of doodie. Bless your little heart.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 16:56:33 -0400, wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...yUWVdbNdZ743vb

>>> That bowl of soup looks very tasty but I don't see many beans.
>>> They are NOT the star of the dish.

>> That doesn't look like soup, looks more like someone forgot to flush.

> Looks fine to me, beans or not. Besides, he said "garlic"!

Popeye disapproves. What else is new?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 2:12:14 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
> > You don't want to cook them for an hour like that. You need to boil for a
> > minute then soak for an hour, then cook. If you cook them for an hour
> > first, they could lose their shape.

> i have some small firm beans that won't blink at being
> cooked for 2-3hrs. i use them in chili most of the time
> because them being firm like that can stretch the meat
> further - they taste just fine.
>

> songbird

I often wonder why the Texas chili 'experts' often say that chili should not have beans in it. I love beans in my chili, not only to stretch the meat, but I think the addition of beans makes a better chili.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 9:17:38 AM UTC-4, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 2:12:14 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> > > You don't want to cook them for an hour like that. You need to boil for a
> > > minute then soak for an hour, then cook. If you cook them for an hour
> > > first, they could lose their shape.

> > i have some small firm beans that won't blink at being
> > cooked for 2-3hrs. i use them in chili most of the time
> > because them being firm like that can stretch the meat
> > further - they taste just fine.
> >

> > songbird

> I often wonder why the Texas chili 'experts' often say that chili should not have beans in it. I love beans in my chili, not only to stretch the meat, but I think the addition of beans makes a better chili.

Because the dish is "chile con carne". Chiles with meat. No mention
of frijoles.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 10:06:25 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 9:17:38 AM UTC-4, A Moose in Love wrote:
> > >
> > > i have some small firm beans that won't blink at being
> > > cooked for 2-3hrs. i use them in chili most of the time
> > > because them being firm like that can stretch the meat
> > > further - they taste just fine.
> > >

> > > songbird

> > I often wonder why the Texas chili 'experts' often say that chili should not have beans in it. I love beans in my chili, not only to stretch the meat, but I think the addition of beans makes a better chili.

> Because the dish is "chile con carne". Chiles with meat. No mention
> of frijoles.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

That doesn't matter. It also has onions, garlic, tomatoes in it. It doesn't have to be mentioned. How about chile con carne con frijoles.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 8:17:38 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:

> I often wonder why the Texas chili 'experts' often say that chili should not have beans in it. I love beans in my chili, not only to stretch the meat, but I think the addition of beans makes a better chili.

I like my chili with beans in it, too. I think it makes a better chili and to
me, more filling than just meat and sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 12:09:10 PM UTC-4, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 10:06:25 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > I often wonder why the Texas chili 'experts' often say that chili should not have beans in it. I love beans in my chili, not only to stretch the meat, but I think the addition of beans makes a better chili.

> > Because the dish is "chile con carne". Chiles with meat. No mention
> > of frijoles.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> That doesn't matter. It also has onions, garlic, tomatoes in it. It doesn't have to be mentioned. How about chile con carne con frijoles.

Chile con carne purists don't allow tomatoes, either.

I'm not a purist. I like it with a lot of tomato, but without beans.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:
> I often wonder why the Texas chili 'experts' often say that chili should not have beans in it. I love beans in my chili, not only to stretch the meat, but I think the addition of beans makes a better chili.

to me it depends upon the traditions as i know that the
New Mexican style chilis i am familiar with have no beans
in them (the red and the green).

i like them all.

i call the chili that has beans in it the Tex-Mex
version.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 09:09:06 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 10:06:25 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> > I often wonder why the Texas chili 'experts' often say that chili should not have beans in it. I love beans in my chili, not only to stretch the meat, but I think the addition of beans makes a better chili.

>> Because the dish is "chile con carne". Chiles with meat. No mention
>> of frijoles.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>That doesn't matter. It also has onions, garlic, tomatoes in it. It doesn't have to be mentioned. How about chile con carne con frijoles.

If you want to cook chili or for that matter brisket Texas style, then
you cook it as expected there. Or at any chili cooking contest, you
follow the rules. Otherwise, cook it the way you like it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 3:17:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:

> I often wonder why the Texas chili 'experts' often say that chili should not have beans in it. I love beans in my chili, not only to stretch the meat, but I think the addition of beans makes a better chili.

I've seen those experts freak out when confronted with Hawaiian chili. OTOH, I suppose that I'd be surprised by a Texas laulau.

OTOH, I'll have to try making chili con carne with just the least amount of ingredients: beef, chili pepper, salt, and sugar i.e., no beans, tomatoes, onions, garlic, pineapple, etc.

Soaking beans? In most cases, you don't need to Travis McGee General Cooking 29 21-10-2014 06:48 PM
Soaking Northern Beans Kathy Johnson General Cooking 26 15-06-2013 03:50 AM
Soaking Brown Beans Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen General Cooking 8 24-03-2006 12:18 AM
Soaking Beans M Jones General Cooking 15 04-02-2005 03:34 PM
Soaking beans? Erica General Cooking 37 25-09-2004 10:42 AM