Old 13-07-2019, 06:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soaking beans

Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot. About
6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
nothern beans overnight.

If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?

TIA

Old 13-07-2019, 06:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 12:39:30 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot. About
6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
nothern beans overnight.

If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?

TIA

I don't see why not. Kinda doubtful they'd need extra water but if you're
more comfortable adding the extra liquid then by all means do.

Old 13-07-2019, 08:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2019 1:39 PM, KenK wrote:
Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot. About
6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
nothern beans overnight.

If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?

TIA

There's always the quick soak method for dried beans. Only takes an
hour. Bring the beans to a boil in a pot, well covered with water.
Reduce the heat and simmer, cook for an hour. Take off the heat. Drain
the beans. Then use them in the crockpot, slow cooking for hours with
all the additional liquid required to make soup. Even a crock pot
requires liquid. Gotta start out with fairly tender beans, too. It
might be easier and cheaper for you to buy and make soup using canned beans.

I've got a great Spicy Five Bean soup recipe. It calls for canned
beans. I cook it in the crock pot on LOW because it needs to simmer for
a bit to blend the flavours. I can put everything in the pot and walk
away and do things around the house. I never have to worry about
soaking beans or the soup not being delicious.

Jill
Old 13-07-2019, 10:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:
Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot. About
6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
nothern beans overnight.

If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?

i never soak beans, just bring them to a boil and
then simmer them until done is how i do it.

songbird
Old 13-07-2019, 11:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 17:46:33 -0400, songbird
wrote:

KenK wrote:
Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot. About
6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
nothern beans overnight.

If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?

i never soak beans, just bring them to a boil and
then simmer them until done is how i do it.

I soak them shorter or longer and in various ways, depending on time
and planning. But I'm still not sure if it makes a difference in terms
of how easy the beans are to digest. Now that we're used to them,
which took a few weeks, they're always ok. And the flavour's always
good.

Old 13-07-2019, 11:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

KenK wrote:
Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot. About
6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
nothern beans overnight.

If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?

i never soak beans, just bring them to a boil and
then simmer them until done is how i do it.

I soak them shorter or longer and in various ways, depending on time
and planning. But I'm still not sure if it makes a difference in terms
of how easy the beans are to digest. Now that we're used to them,
which took a few weeks, they're always ok. And the flavour's always
good.

I put my beans in their soak water in the refrigerator for the first time recently and it did not suck.

John Kuthe...
Old 13-07-2019, 11:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

KenK wrote:
Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot. About
6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
nothern beans overnight.

If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?

i never soak beans, just bring them to a boil and
then simmer them until done is how i do it.

I soak them shorter or longer and in various ways, depending on time
and planning. But I'm still not sure if it makes a difference in terms
of how easy the beans are to digest. Now that we're used to them,
which took a few weeks, they're always ok. And the flavour's always
good.

I put my beans in their soak water in the refrigerator for the first time recently and it did not suck.

I'm beginning to think that you can't do much wrong except seriously
undercook them.

Old 14-07-2019, 01:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

KenK wrote:
Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot. About
6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
nothern beans overnight.

If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?

i never soak beans, just bring them to a boil and
then simmer them until done is how i do it.

I soak them shorter or longer and in various ways, depending on time
and planning. But I'm still not sure if it makes a difference in terms
of how easy the beans are to digest. Now that we're used to them,
which took a few weeks, they're always ok. And the flavour's always
good.

The normal bacterial flora in your gut will adapt. That's why people
that eat lots of beans don't have gas problems.

If you don't eat beans for a long time, then eat a belly full, you
will find yourself having to adapt again.

Old 14-07-2019, 03:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" wrote in message
Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot.
About
6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
nothern beans overnight.

If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?

Just do a quick soak on the stove. Use a lot of water in the pot, bring to a
boil, boil for a minute then shut the heat off and let sit for an hour.
Drain, rinse and cook as usual.

Old 14-07-2019, 03:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
news
On 7/13/2019 1:39 PM, KenK wrote:
[...]

You don't want to cook them for an hour like that. You need to boil for a
minute then soak for an hour, then cook. If you cook them for an hour
first, they could lose their shape.

Old 14-07-2019, 10:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 7:39:30 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot. About
6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
nothern beans overnight.

If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?

TIA

I don't think you even have to soak the beans if you cook it in a crockpot. Just add as much water as you want and cook it for as long as it takes. 6 hours should be plenty. I was going to cook some beans in a pressure cooker but just used a plain old pot. I don't remember how long it took or how much water was added. Those things just don't seem to be that important.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...yUWVdbNdZ743vb
Old 14-07-2019, 10:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 02:17:53 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
wrote:

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 7:39:30 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot. About
6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
nothern beans overnight.

If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?

TIA

I don't think you even have to soak the beans if you cook it in a crockpot. Just add as much water as you want and cook it for as long as it takes. 6 hours should be plenty. I was going to cook some beans in a pressure cooker but just used a plain old pot. I don't remember how long it took or how much water was added. Those things just don't seem to be that important.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...yUWVdbNdZ743vb

Is a "crockpot" a very slow process? I cook beans in a pot on the hub
for 1 to 2 hours and then they're soft. What more could I achieve?
Old 14-07-2019, 11:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

====

Being able to go out or do something else for the day if you want and
let it do its own thing Can be very useful

Old 14-07-2019, 12:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

I'd rather get it over and done with. If I go out, I might not come
back until the house is on fire.

Soaking beans? In most cases, you don't need to Travis McGee General Cooking 29 21-10-2014 06:48 PM
Soaking Northern Beans Kathy Johnson General Cooking 26 15-06-2013 03:50 AM
Soaking Brown Beans Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen General Cooking 8 23-03-2006 11:18 PM
Soaking Beans M Jones General Cooking 15 04-02-2005 02:34 PM
Soaking beans? Erica General Cooking 37 25-09-2004 10:42 AM