Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soaking beans

On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 00:18:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message

>>> I also cook with very little salt. As you say, add it to the
>>> plate later if you want more. That's a safe way to cook for other
>>> people. Salt is important to add in the beginning to breads and
>>> cakes though.
>>>

>> Food tastes different when salted as it's cooking vs. salting unsalted
>> food
>> at the table. Salt is on the table here as well, but I always tell people
>> this is not a restaurant; the food was seasoned as it was cooked so taste
>> before reaching for that shaker.

>Yes. The salt needs to cook in. Adding salt at the table doesn't work for
>me. Just tastes like salt. Only things I salt at the table are baked
>potatoes and sometimes fries or salad.

Salt will only flavor the sauce/liquid, salt will not penetrate the
bean skin... bean skin is just like a reverse osmosis filter, only
permits pure water to pass through... otherwise beans wouldn't
germinate. It's best to salt the sauce/water after cooking or the
salt will clog the pores in the bean skins and the beans won't cook
properly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Crock Pot Bean Soup (WAS: Soaking beans)

wrote:
>>> On 16 Jul 2019 cshenk wrote

>>> I use an ordinary pot and canned beans.... no slow cooker is capable
>>> of decent beans/anything.
>>>

>> Just because the only thing you used yours for was oatmeal doesn't mean
>> slow cookers/crockpots are useless.
>>
>> Jill

> Learn not to assume... I've tried several stews/soups.,they turned out
> barely edible. Somewhere I have a picture of my slow cooker that I
> posted here long ago, it has a stew in it that can be seen through the
> glass lid.

Perhaps, but you've mentioned overnight oatmeal many, many times.

I've got "my" spicy five bean soup in the crockpot right now. Yes, I
used canned (rinsed) beans. You can use any five (or more) beans you
like although IMHO a can of garbanzos (chick peas) is essential. Along
with the garbanzos, this time I'm using black beans, kidney beans, pinto
beans and cut green beans. (Sometimes I use navy beans instead of
pintos, sometimes great northern.) 1/4 cup of minced onion, beef stock,
a bottle of beer (thanks to my neighbor), oregano, basil, chili powder,
cayenne pepper and a few splashes of Tabasco sauce. Stirred it all
together, put the lid on, set it to High and walked away. I'll turn it
to Low in about an hour.

Sure, I could (and have) make this soup on the stovetop in a pot. The
point of the slow cooker is to allow a slow melding of flavours without
having to watch the pot. Don't have to stir it or worry about the heat
being too high or too low. About an hour before dinner time I'll stir
in 1/4 cup of pearled barley, then cover it again and walk away. The
barley adds a slightly different texture. When serving, I top each bowl
with a little shredded "Mexican" cheese blend. This crock pot soup is
not only edible, it's delicious!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/17/2019 11:16 AM, Gary wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> I know I will get hammered for this because chefs say they have to use
>> salt for flavour .....
>>
>> I very rarely use even a little bit of salt. The salt cellar is on the
>> table and people can help themselves when they have their meal.

> I also cook with very little salt. As you say, add it to the
> plate later if you want more. That's a safe way to cook for other
> people. Salt is important to add in the beginning to breads and
> cakes though.

I think salt is very important. It's true if you over-salt something
you can't take it back. But I believe salt is truly a necessary
ingredient. Don't give me a steak that wasn't salted (and also
peppered) before cooking it. It will not taste good. Don't give me a
baked potato without salt. It will not taste good. Don't give me soup
without salt in it. I can't begin to imagine how awful bread would
taste without salt.

I do tend to use a lot of unsalted herb blends. I'm a big fan of the
Mrs. Dash products. But that's because they taste good. Not because
I'm avoiding salt.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/18/2019 3:15 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> At some point, my mom stopped cooking with salt. The food was blah. She
> no longer cooks but she oversalts everything. I don't like going out for
> Mexican food with her because she ruins the chips.

Your mother's tastebuds are likely degrading. Salty is one of the
primary senses of taste.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/18/2019 9:25 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-07-18 3:15 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Â*I don't like going out for Mexican food with her because she ruins
>> the chips.

> Oh you poor girl. If only there was some way to avoid that.
> Suggestions anyone????

I'll chime in. Order separate chips. Anytime I've ever been to a
Mexican restaurant the basket of tortilla chips is complimentary. They
drop it on the table before even giving you the menu. I'm sure they'd
be happy to give Julie's mom a separate basket of chips to salt.

She should really be happy her mother is still alive and able to go out
to eat with her. She posts about her as if spending any time with her
is a bother. That's disturbing.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/16/2019 7:09 PM, cshenk wrote:
> We cook low sodium here and add as needed at the table. Morton sells a
> 50% reduced 'Lite salt' that works well in many things.

I tried that stuff. Sorry, but half potassium chloride and half sodium
chloride doesn't taste good.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-07-19 12:19 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/18/2019 9:25 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2019-07-18 3:15 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> Â*I don't like going out for Mexican food with her because she ruins
>>> the chips.

>> Oh you poor girl. If only there was some way to avoid that.
>> Suggestions anyone????

> I'll chime in.Â* Order separate chips.Â* Anytime I've ever been to a
> Mexican restaurant the basket of tortilla chips is complimentary.Â* They
> drop it on the table before even giving you the menu.Â* I'm sure they'd
> be happy to give Julie's mom a separate basket of chips to salt.

Good idea, but I am sure that Bove will find a reason that won't work.
I might have suggested taking some before they are salted, or giving the
alleged mother some and letting her salt them to her heart's content.
However, I imagine there would be problems with that suggestion too.

> She should really be happy her mother is still alive and able to go out
> to eat with her.Â* She posts about her as if spending any time with her
> is a bother.Â* That's disturbing.

Given her stories about her daughter's behaviour in restaurants, the
mess she makes in the kitchen and refuses to clean up, and how she and
the luckily exhusband don't like anything, I don't think she would miss her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Gary wrote:
>
> > songbird wrote:
> > >
> >> the basic red chili recipe that i learned many years ago
> >> was:
> > >
> >> roast red peppers, put in blender to make powder with as much
> >> water as needed. if you like garlic add some cloves to this as it
> >> blends. as much as you like...
> > >
> >> fry up some meat with a bit of fat in it. beef is what i like

> the >> best so that is what i use. after some fat has been rendered
> add >> a little flour to fry up with the meat.
> > >
> >> once the meat is browned and the flour is fried then pour the
> >> chili, water and garlic blend over it and simmer until done.
> > >
> >> that's it.
> > >
> >> i don't add salt, the beef is salty enough for me.

> > That last statement stopped me. Beef doesn't contain much sodium
> > itself. You must cook low-sodium as a rule and be used to eating
> > that way. A pot of meaty chili with no salt added would be very
> > bland to me.

> We cook low sodium here and add as needed at the table. Morton sells
> a 50% reduced 'Lite salt' that works well in many things.
>
> ====
>
> I need to look for that!

It works well in almost everything except baking where the
yeast/salt/suger trinaty is important.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Gary wrote:
>
> > songbird wrote:
> > >
> >> the basic red chili recipe that i learned many years ago
> >> was:
> > >
> >> roast red peppers, put in blender to make powder with as much
> >> water as needed. if you like garlic add some cloves to this as it
> >> blends. as much as you like...
> > >
> >> fry up some meat with a bit of fat in it. beef is what i like

> the >> best so that is what i use. after some fat has been rendered
> add >> a little flour to fry up with the meat.
> > >
> >> once the meat is browned and the flour is fried then pour the
> >> chili, water and garlic blend over it and simmer until done.
> > >
> >> that's it.
> > >
> >> i don't add salt, the beef is salty enough for me.

> > That last statement stopped me. Beef doesn't contain much sodium
> > itself. You must cook low-sodium as a rule and be used to eating
> > that way. A pot of meaty chili with no salt added would be very
> > bland to me.

> We cook low sodium here and add as needed at the table. Morton sells
> a 50% reduced 'Lite salt' that works well in many things.
>
> ====
>
> I need to look for that!

It works well in almost everything except baking where the
yeast/salt/suger trinaty is important.

===

Understood! Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have always soak them as that's how grandma show me, I found this YouTube video where a guys has a recipe without soaking them, I have try it and it save time without loosing flavor. https://dausel.co/x7HJ9E

Soaking beans? In most cases, you don't need to Travis McGee General Cooking 29 21-10-2014 06:48 PM
Soaking Northern Beans Kathy Johnson General Cooking 26 15-06-2013 03:50 AM
Soaking Brown Beans Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen General Cooking 8 23-03-2006 11:18 PM
Soaking Beans M Jones General Cooking 15 04-02-2005 02:34 PM
Soaking beans? Erica General Cooking 37 25-09-2004 10:42 AM