Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soaking beans

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 18:34:03 +0100, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 10:28 14 Jul 2019, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 02:17:53 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>>>I don't think you even have to soak the beans if you cook it in a
>>>crockpot. Just add as much water as you want and cook it for as long as
>>>it takes. 6 hours should be plenty. I was going to cook some beans in a
>>>pressure cooker but just used a plain old pot. I don't remember how long
>>>it took or how much water was added. Those things just don't seem to be
>>>that important.
>>>
>>>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared....VSHHAVbSyUWVd
>>>bNdZ743vb

>> Is a "crockpot" a very slow process? I cook beans in a pot on the hub
>> for 1 to 2 hours and then they're soft. What more could I achieve?

>A crockpot is several times slower than even that. Hardly worth it timewise
>but the favours are outstanding.

I wonder how it could taste even better, since it's already very good,
considering they're just beans with only salt added. But I can't try
it out because I don't have a crockpot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 18:34:03 +0100, Pamela >
> wrote:
>
>> On 10:28 14 Jul 2019, Bruce > wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 02:17:53 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

>>> Is a "crockpot" a very slow process? I cook beans in a pot on the hub
>>> for 1 to 2 hours and then they're soft. What more could I achieve?

>> A crockpot is several times slower than even that. Hardly worth it timewise
>> but the favours are outstanding.

> I wonder how it could taste even better, since it's already very good,
> considering they're just beans with only salt added. But I can't try
> it out because I don't have a crockpot.

Crockpots are no good.

Popeye sez to make beans properly, yoose need a 50 gallon steam
jacketed kettle, preferably navy issued.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 1:49:58 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 18:34:03 +0100, Pamela >
> wrote:
>
> >A crockpot is several times slower than even that. Hardly worth it timewise
> >but the favours are outstanding.

> I wonder how it could taste even better, since it's already very good,
> considering they're just beans with only salt added. But I can't try
> it out because I don't have a crockpot.

A crockpot/slow cooker is good if you don't want to be going to the kitchen
and checking on something cooking at regular intervals. It's really an
outstanding tool for meats that require long, slow cooking times that you
don't want to be heating up the kitchen by using the oven. Of course, this
is moot in the wintertime when you might want that heat, but a crockpot
doesn't use near as much energy as the oven.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 13:25:38 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 1:49:58 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 18:34:03 +0100, Pamela >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >A crockpot is several times slower than even that. Hardly worth it timewise
>> >but the favours are outstanding.

>> I wonder how it could taste even better, since it's already very good,
>> considering they're just beans with only salt added. But I can't try
>> it out because I don't have a crockpot.
>>

>A crockpot/slow cooker is good if you don't want to be going to the kitchen
>and checking on something cooking at regular intervals. It's really an
>outstanding tool for meats that require long, slow cooking times that you
>don't want to be heating up the kitchen by using the oven. Of course, this
>is moot in the wintertime when you might want that heat, but a crockpot
>doesn't use near as much energy as the oven.

I've never seen one but they're widely available he
https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/crock-pot
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 21:47:17 +0100, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 19:49 15 Jul 2019, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 18:34:03 +0100, Pamela >
>> wrote:

>>>A crockpot is several times slower than even that. Hardly worth it
>>>timewise but the favours are outstanding.

>> I wonder how it could taste even better, since it's already very good,
>> considering they're just beans with only salt added. But I can't try
>> it out because I don't have a crockpot.

>Maybe it's the lower temperature.
>
>They run at very low power. About 150 to 250 watts -- which is roughly
>the power used by a couple of old-style incandescent light bulbs.

Yes, more time can mean more flavour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 3:39:53 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> I've never seen one but they're widely available he
> https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/crock-pot

They can make a piece of meat that is suitable for shoe soles fork tender. It's
that loooooong, slooooooow cooking that does the trick. Some of those pots in
that ad you posted are also pressure cookers as well as slow cookers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 1:21:28 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
> A Moose in Love wrote:
> > I often wonder why the Texas chili 'experts' often say that chili should not have beans in it. I love beans in my chili, not only to stretch the meat, but I think the addition of beans makes a better chili.

> to me it depends upon the traditions as i know that the
> New Mexican style chilis i am familiar with have no beans
> in them (the red and the green).
>
> i like them all.
>
> i call the chili that has beans in it the Tex-Mex
> version.
>

> songbird

A good quote I've heard: 'If you put beans in your chili, then you don't know beans about chili'. Not true in my opinion, but I got a good chuckle out of it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 3:39:53 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> I've never seen one but they're widely available he

https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/crock-pot

> They can make a piece of meat that is suitable for shoe soles fork tender. It's
> that loooooong, slooooooow cooking that does the trick. Some of those pots in
> that ad you posted are also pressure cookers as well as slow cookers.

I've heard some of the newer slow cookers get too hot, supposedly
from concerns about bacteria. My pot is old, probably 30 years or
more. Old pots like this can often be found for nearly nothing at
yard sales.

They just don't have a digital display or timers or other gadgets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> OTOH, I'll have to try making chili con carne with just the least amount of ingredients: beef, chili pepper, salt, and sugar i.e., no beans, tomatoes, onions, garlic, pineapple, etc.

the basic red chili recipe that i learned many years ago
was:

roast red peppers, put in blender to make powder with as much water as
needed. if you like garlic add some cloves to this as it blends. as
much as you like...

fry up some meat with a bit of fat in it. beef is what i like the
best so that is what i use. after some fat has been rendered add
a little flour to fry up with the meat.

once the meat is browned and the flour is fried then pour the
chili, water and garlic blend over it and simmer until done.

that's it.

i don't add salt, the beef is salty enough for me.

the quality of this is really determined by your peppers
that you get. some are excellent flavored. others are dried
out and pale replicas of the glory they should be, but you
won't know until you try and here in the mid-west it can be
a challenge to find good dried chilis.

once in a while we have relatives that send us green
chilis when they are ready. that's a whole different story...

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 7:21:38 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:

> I've heard some of the newer slow cookers get too hot, supposedly
> from concerns about bacteria. My pot is old, probably 30 years or
> more. Old pots like this can often be found for nearly nothing at
> yard sales.
>
> They just don't have a digital display or timers or other gadgets.

I've heard people in the past complain about their old slow cookers stating
they get far too hot. I think those are just a lemon they bought.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hank Rogers wrote:

> My pot is old, probably 30 years or
> more. Old pots like this can often be found for nearly nothing at
> yard sales.
>
> They just don't have a digital display or timers or other gadgets.

Mine is an old Rival sold about 35 years ago. No electronics, no
removable inner pot, plastic lid and the dial has three settings
- Off, Low, High. Very basic.

That's all anyone needs and will last a lifetime with no
electronics to go bad.

I did check the cooking temps once but don't remember the exact
degrees but do remember close.
Cooking on low, temp slightly below 200F. Maybe 197F or so?
Cooking on high, it's about 208F. Just below boiling temp

Whenever I use it, I start on high then turn it down to low after
about an hour, then let it cook for many hours at 190-something
F. Never need to check it but occasionally I might give it a
stir.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:
> I often wonder why the Texas chili 'experts' often say that chili should not have beans in it. I love beans in my chili, not only to stretch the meat, but I think the addition of beans makes a better chili.

When I make chili, I use meat and beans. I mash about 1/2 the
beans though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:

> the basic red chili recipe that i learned many years ago
> was:
>
> roast red peppers, put in blender to make powder with as much water as
> needed. if you like garlic add some cloves to this as it blends. as
> much as you like...
>
> fry up some meat with a bit of fat in it. beef is what i like the
> best so that is what i use. after some fat has been rendered add
> a little flour to fry up with the meat.
>
> once the meat is browned and the flour is fried then pour the
> chili, water and garlic blend over it and simmer until done.
>
> that's it.
>
> i don't add salt, the beef is salty enough for me.

That last statement stopped me. Beef doesn't contain much sodium
itself. You must cook low-sodium as a rule and be used to eating
that way. A pot of meaty chili with no salt added would be very
bland to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> Hank Rogers wrote:
>>
>> My pot is old, probably 30 years or
>> more. Old pots like this can often be found for nearly nothing at
>> yard sales.
>>
>> They just don't have a digital display or timers or other gadgets.

> Mine is an old Rival sold about 35 years ago. No electronics, no
> removable inner pot, plastic lid and the dial has three settings
> - Off, Low, High. Very basic.
>
> That's all anyone needs and will last a lifetime with no
> electronics to go bad.
>
> I did check the cooking temps once but don't remember the exact
> degrees but do remember close.
> Cooking on low, temp slightly below 200F. Maybe 197F or so?
> Cooking on high, it's about 208F. Just below boiling temp
>
> Whenever I use it, I start on high then turn it down to low after
> about an hour, then let it cook for many hours at 190-something
> F. Never need to check it but occasionally I might give it a
> stir.

Mine is similar, but has removable crock pot, so its easier to wash.

I remember some of them had a "shift" setting which would start on
high, then shift to low after it got hot.

Not much in these, just heating elements and some thermal switches
plus the control switch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 5:09:30 PM UTC-10, songbird wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > OTOH, I'll have to try making chili con carne with just the least amount of ingredients: beef, chili pepper, salt, and sugar i.e., no beans, tomatoes, onions, garlic, pineapple, etc.

> the basic red chili recipe that i learned many years ago
> was:
>
> roast red peppers, put in blender to make powder with as much water as
> needed. if you like garlic add some cloves to this as it blends. as
> much as you like...
>
> fry up some meat with a bit of fat in it. beef is what i like the
> best so that is what i use. after some fat has been rendered add
> a little flour to fry up with the meat.
>
> once the meat is browned and the flour is fried then pour the
> chili, water and garlic blend over it and simmer until done.
>
> that's it.
>
> i don't add salt, the beef is salty enough for me.
>
> the quality of this is really determined by your peppers
> that you get. some are excellent flavored. others are dried
> out and pale replicas of the glory they should be, but you
> won't know until you try and here in the mid-west it can be
> a challenge to find good dried chilis.
>
> once in a while we have relatives that send us green
> chilis when they are ready. that's a whole different story...
>

> songbird

Sounds like a good recipe. I've never made chili that way - with fresh peppers. I've been using Korean chili pepper powder but I'll put your recipe down on my to do list. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:

> Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot.
> About 6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low.
> I soak the nothern beans overnight.
>
> If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra
> water as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it.
> Anyone?
>
> TIA

I never soak them. I just add with water and whatever else I want and
turn it on.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 Jul 2019 cshenk wrote
>KenK wrote:
>
>> Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot.
>> About 6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low.
>> I soak the nothern beans overnight.
>>
>> If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra
>> water as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it.
>> Anyone.

>I never soak them. I just add with water and whatever else I want and
>turn it on.

I use an ordinary pot and canned beans.... no slow cooker is capable
of decent beans/anything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
>songbird wrote:

>> i don't add salt, the beef is salty enough for me.

> That last statement stopped me. Beef doesn't contain much sodium
> itself. You must cook low-sodium as a rule and be used to eating
> that way. A pot of meaty chili with no salt added would be very
> bland to me.

yes, i don't use salt in much at all. garlic salt
once in a while, but again not often.

i never add salt to beans. many chili mixes have
salt added to them, but i don't usually use them for
making chili.

cheese is probably the main way i get salt.

it is funny to see people when they are eating that
they reach for the salt before they even taste the
food. my brother will put salt on his salad. i find
that just so odd...

we also don't use pepper (Mom will get blisters in
reaction to it). i don't get that kind of reaction but
i'm now used to not eating it so i notice it when
other people put it in things.

if i'm making a Tex-Mex style chili the tomatoes
often add enough umami that salt isn't much needed but
i'm pretty used to no salt added things now so it
doesn't matter.

and don't get me started on t.v. chefs...

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> Sounds like a good recipe. I've never made chili that way - with fresh peppers. I've been using Korean chili pepper powder but I'll put your recipe down on my to do list. Thanks.

if the package is well sealed you are probably doing ok
for flavor, the main thing is that you have to find good
chilis to begin with for roasting. some are just not all
that good.

if you like the heat and flavor of the Korean chili
pepper powder that can be ok to use. i find the flavor
of the chili powder we have to be just, ucky... not
much heat and the flavor is bland - probably is pretty
old. i'll be going out to run errands this week so i
can check the asian food store to see what they have
for dry peppers. i'm hungry for some red chili (it can
be used for so many things).

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 18:07:07 -0400, songbird >
wrote:

>Gary wrote:
>>songbird wrote:

>>> i don't add salt, the beef is salty enough for me.

>> That last statement stopped me. Beef doesn't contain much sodium
>> itself. You must cook low-sodium as a rule and be used to eating
>> that way. A pot of meaty chili with no salt added would be very
>> bland to me.

> yes, i don't use salt in much at all. garlic salt
>once in a while, but again not often.
>
> i never add salt to beans. many chili mixes have
>salt added to them, but i don't usually use them for
>making chili.

Beans are better with a bit of salt. Graham is a saltophobe too, but
he has bigger problems.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> songbird wrote:
> >
> > the basic red chili recipe that i learned many years ago
> > was:
> >
> > roast red peppers, put in blender to make powder with as much
> > water as needed. if you like garlic add some cloves to this as it
> > blends. as much as you like...
> >
> > fry up some meat with a bit of fat in it. beef is what i like the
> > best so that is what i use. after some fat has been rendered add
> > a little flour to fry up with the meat.
> >
> > once the meat is browned and the flour is fried then pour the
> > chili, water and garlic blend over it and simmer until done.
> >
> > that's it.
> >
> > i don't add salt, the beef is salty enough for me.

> That last statement stopped me. Beef doesn't contain much sodium
> itself. You must cook low-sodium as a rule and be used to eating
> that way. A pot of meaty chili with no salt added would be very
> bland to me.

We cook low sodium here and add as needed at the table. Morton sells a
50% reduced 'Lite salt' that works well in many things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 16, 2019 at 6:10:01 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

> We cook low sodium here and add as needed at the table. Morton sells a
> 50% reduced 'Lite salt' that works well in many things.

Except for regular table salt for when I cook pasta, the Morton Lite Salt is
all I use. It's been in my kitchen since it was first introduced a couple of
hundred years ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" wrote in message ...

Gary wrote:
>songbird wrote:

>> i don't add salt, the beef is salty enough for me.

> That last statement stopped me. Beef doesn't contain much sodium
> itself. You must cook low-sodium as a rule and be used to eating
> that way. A pot of meaty chili with no salt added would be very
> bland to me.

yes, i don't use salt in much at all. garlic salt
once in a while, but again not often.

i never add salt to beans. many chili mixes have
salt added to them, but i don't usually use them for
making chili.

cheese is probably the main way i get salt.

it is funny to see people when they are eating that
they reach for the salt before they even taste the
food. my brother will put salt on his salad. i find
that just so odd...

we also don't use pepper (Mom will get blisters in
reaction to it). i don't get that kind of reaction but
i'm now used to not eating it so i notice it when
other people put it in things.

if i'm making a Tex-Mex style chili the tomatoes
often add enough umami that salt isn't much needed but
i'm pretty used to no salt added things now so it
doesn't matter.

and don't get me started on t.v. chefs...

songbird

====

I know I will get hammered for this because chefs say they have to use
salt for flavour .....

I very rarely use even a little bit of salt. The salt cellar is on the
table and people can help themselves when they have their meal.

There is a little salt in my butter and that is *mostly* enough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Gary wrote:

> songbird wrote:
> >
> > the basic red chili recipe that i learned many years ago
> > was:
> >
> > roast red peppers, put in blender to make powder with as much
> > water as needed. if you like garlic add some cloves to this as it
> > blends. as much as you like...
> >
> > fry up some meat with a bit of fat in it. beef is what i like the
> > best so that is what i use. after some fat has been rendered add
> > a little flour to fry up with the meat.
> >
> > once the meat is browned and the flour is fried then pour the
> > chili, water and garlic blend over it and simmer until done.
> >
> > that's it.
> >
> > i don't add salt, the beef is salty enough for me.

> That last statement stopped me. Beef doesn't contain much sodium
> itself. You must cook low-sodium as a rule and be used to eating
> that way. A pot of meaty chili with no salt added would be very
> bland to me.

We cook low sodium here and add as needed at the table. Morton sells a
50% reduced 'Lite salt' that works well in many things.

====

I need to look for that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> songbird wrote:
>>
>> the basic red chili recipe that i learned many years ago
>> was:
>>
>> roast red peppers, put in blender to make powder with as much water as
>> needed. if you like garlic add some cloves to this as it blends. as
>> much as you like...
>>
>> fry up some meat with a bit of fat in it. beef is what i like the
>> best so that is what i use. after some fat has been rendered add
>> a little flour to fry up with the meat.
>>
>> once the meat is browned and the flour is fried then pour the
>> chili, water and garlic blend over it and simmer until done.
>>
>> that's it.
>>
>> i don't add salt, the beef is salty enough for me.

> That last statement stopped me. Beef doesn't contain much sodium
> itself. You must cook low-sodium as a rule and be used to eating
> that way. A pot of meaty chili with no salt added would be very
> bland to me.

I always add salt and pepper to meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Gary wrote:
>
>> songbird wrote:
>> >
>> > the basic red chili recipe that i learned many years ago
>> > was:
>> >
>> > roast red peppers, put in blender to make powder with as much
>> > water as needed. if you like garlic add some cloves to this as it
>> > blends. as much as you like...
>> >
>> > fry up some meat with a bit of fat in it. beef is what i like the
>> > best so that is what i use. after some fat has been rendered add
>> > a little flour to fry up with the meat.
>> >
>> > once the meat is browned and the flour is fried then pour the
>> > chili, water and garlic blend over it and simmer until done.
>> >
>> > that's it.
>> >
>> > i don't add salt, the beef is salty enough for me.

>> That last statement stopped me. Beef doesn't contain much sodium
>> itself. You must cook low-sodium as a rule and be used to eating
>> that way. A pot of meaty chili with no salt added would be very
>> bland to me.

> We cook low sodium here and add as needed at the table. Morton sells a
> 50% reduced 'Lite salt' that works well in many things.

That just doesn't work for me. My mom used to use it. Too bland for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 16, 2019 at 6:13:10 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
> Gary wrote:
> >songbird wrote:

> >> i don't add salt, the beef is salty enough for me.

> > That last statement stopped me. Beef doesn't contain much sodium
> > itself. You must cook low-sodium as a rule and be used to eating
> > that way. A pot of meaty chili with no salt added would be very
> > bland to me.

> yes, i don't use salt in much at all. garlic salt
> once in a while, but again not often.
>
> i never add salt to beans. many chili mixes have
> salt added to them, but i don't usually use them for
> making chili.
>
> cheese is probably the main way i get salt.
>
> it is funny to see people when they are eating that
> they reach for the salt before they even taste the
> food. my brother will put salt on his salad. i find
> that just so odd...

If he salts your food before tasting it, he probably knows
it'll need it.

I salt my salad. I salt everything. I put more than 1/4
teaspoon of kosher salt in my morning oatmeal.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> >songbird wrote:

> >> i don't add salt, the beef is salty enough for me.

> > That last statement stopped me. Beef doesn't contain much sodium
> > itself. You must cook low-sodium as a rule and be used to eating
> > that way. A pot of meaty chili with no salt added would be very
> > bland to me.

> yes, i don't use salt in much at all. garlic salt
> once in a while, but again not often.
>
> i never add salt to beans. many chili mixes have
> salt added to them, but i don't usually use them for
> making chili.
>
> cheese is probably the main way i get salt.
>
> it is funny to see people when they are eating that
> they reach for the salt before they even taste the
> food. my brother will put salt on his salad. i find
> that just so odd...
>
> we also don't use pepper (Mom will get blisters in
> reaction to it). i don't get that kind of reaction but
> i'm now used to not eating it so i notice it when
> other people put it in things.
>
> if i'm making a Tex-Mex style chili the tomatoes
> often add enough umami that salt isn't much needed but
> i'm pretty used to no salt added things now so it
> doesn't matter.
>
> and don't get me started on t.v. chefs...
>
> songbird

I lived with a family for 2 months, summer of 1972. She cooked
salt free everything and no salt at the table either. First few
weeks was very bland and blah meals. After then, I got used to
eating no salt and all was fine.

After that summer ended, almost everything tasted very salty to
me but I slowly got back into salting everything.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> I know I will get hammered for this because chefs say they have to use
> salt for flavour .....
>
> I very rarely use even a little bit of salt. The salt cellar is on the
> table and people can help themselves when they have their meal.

I also cook with very little salt. As you say, add it to the
plate later if you want more. That's a safe way to cook for other
people. Salt is important to add in the beginning to breads and
cakes though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 17, 2019 at 10:16:14 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > I very rarely use even a little bit of salt. The salt cellar is on the
> > table and people can help themselves when they have their meal.

> I also cook with very little salt. As you say, add it to the
> plate later if you want more. That's a safe way to cook for other
> people. Salt is important to add in the beginning to breads and
> cakes though.

Food tastes different when salted as it's cooking vs. salting unsalted food
at the table. Salt is on the table here as well, but I always tell people
this is not a restaurant; the food was seasoned as it was cooked so taste
before reaching for that shaker.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> I know I will get hammered for this because chefs say they have to use
> salt for flavour .....
>
> I very rarely use even a little bit of salt. The salt cellar is on the
> table and people can help themselves when they have their meal.

I also cook with very little salt. As you say, add it to the
plate later if you want more. That's a safe way to cook for other
people. Salt is important to add in the beginning to breads and
cakes though.

===

Yes, that is important. It regulates the yeast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> songbird wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:

>> > That last statement stopped me. Beef doesn't contain much sodium
>> > itself. You must cook low-sodium as a rule and be used to eating
>> > that way. A pot of meaty chili with no salt added would be very
>> > bland to me.

>> yes, i don't use salt in much at all. garlic salt
>> once in a while, but again not often.
>>
>> i never add salt to beans. many chili mixes have
>> salt added to them, but i don't usually use them for
>> making chili.
>>
>> cheese is probably the main way i get salt.
>>
>> it is funny to see people when they are eating that
>> they reach for the salt before they even taste the
>> food. my brother will put salt on his salad. i find
>> that just so odd...
>>
>> we also don't use pepper (Mom will get blisters in
>> reaction to it). i don't get that kind of reaction but
>> i'm now used to not eating it so i notice it when
>> other people put it in things.
>>
>> if i'm making a Tex-Mex style chili the tomatoes
>> often add enough umami that salt isn't much needed but
>> i'm pretty used to no salt added things now so it
>> doesn't matter.
>>
>> and don't get me started on t.v. chefs...
>>
>> songbird

> I lived with a family for 2 months, summer of 1972. She cooked
> salt free everything and no salt at the table either. First few
> weeks was very bland and blah meals. After then, I got used to
> eating no salt and all was fine.
>
> After that summer ended, almost everything tasted very salty to
> me but I slowly got back into salting everything.

At some point, my mom stopped cooking with salt. The food was blah. She no
longer cooks but she oversalts everything. I don't like going out for
Mexican food with her because she ruins the chips.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wednesday, July 17, 2019 at 10:16:14 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>>
>> Ophelia wrote:
>> >
>> > I very rarely use even a little bit of salt. The salt cellar is on
>> > the
>> > table and people can help themselves when they have their meal.

>> I also cook with very little salt. As you say, add it to the
>> plate later if you want more. That's a safe way to cook for other
>> people. Salt is important to add in the beginning to breads and
>> cakes though.
>>

> Food tastes different when salted as it's cooking vs. salting unsalted
> food
> at the table. Salt is on the table here as well, but I always tell people
> this is not a restaurant; the food was seasoned as it was cooked so taste
> before reaching for that shaker.

Yes. The salt needs to cook in. Adding salt at the table doesn't work for
me. Just tastes like salt. Only things I salt at the table are baked
potatoes and sometimes fries or salad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Only things I salt at the table are baked
> potatoes and sometimes fries or salad.

I heavily salt steak and potatoes. Heavy on the black pepper
with potatoes too.

Also a bit heavy on both with tomato sandwiches.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-07-18 3:15 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:

> I don't like going out for
> Mexican food with her because she ruins the chips.

Oh you poor girl. If only there was some way to avoid that.
Suggestions anyone????
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 3:18:26 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message

> >> I also cook with very little salt. As you say, add it to the
> >> plate later if you want more. That's a safe way to cook for other
> >> people. Salt is important to add in the beginning to breads and
> >> cakes though.
> >>

> > Food tastes different when salted as it's cooking vs. salting unsalted
> > food
> > at the table. Salt is on the table here as well, but I always tell people
> > this is not a restaurant; the food was seasoned as it was cooked so taste
> > before reaching for that shaker.

> Yes. The salt needs to cook in. Adding salt at the table doesn't work for
> me. Just tastes like salt. Only things I salt at the table are baked
> potatoes and sometimes fries or salad.

I don't salt baked potatoes at the table, however I do put butter and sour cream on them. Fries I always salt after cooking, and salads I don't salt; I put salt in the dressing I make unless it has mustard in it.

Soaking beans? In most cases, you don't need to Travis McGee General Cooking 29 21-10-2014 06:48 PM
Soaking Northern Beans Kathy Johnson General Cooking 26 15-06-2013 03:50 AM
Soaking Brown Beans Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen General Cooking 8 23-03-2006 11:18 PM
Soaking Beans M Jones General Cooking 15 04-02-2005 02:34 PM
Soaking beans? Erica General Cooking 37 25-09-2004 10:42 AM