Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default disturbing RFC news:

ONO! >;-[]

The RFC certified unofficial site has "left the building"
This is the good one with old member pictures, recipes,
birthdays, etc

I went to it yesterday: recfoodcooking.org
and got the following screen message:

The domain recfoodcooking.org is may be for sale. Please send an
inquiry to

Maybe someone here with spare money and time might take it over
and bring it back to life but that probably won't happen.

"All things must pass" ;(
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 06:31:28 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>ONO! >;-[]
>
>The RFC certified unofficial site has "left the building"
>This is the good one with old member pictures, recipes,
>birthdays, etc
>
>I went to it yesterday: recfoodcooking.org
>and got the following screen message:
>
>The domain recfoodcooking.org is may be for sale. Please send an
>inquiry to
>
>Maybe someone here with spare money and time might take it over
>and bring it back to life but that probably won't happen.
>
>"All things must pass" ;(

Come on, Gary, I'm sure you have a few dollars kicking around doing
nothing. They probably date back all the way to the 70s.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Gary wrote:

> ONO! >;-[]
>
> The RFC certified unofficial site has "left the building"
> This is the good one with old member pictures, recipes,
> birthdays, etc
>
> I went to it yesterday: recfoodcooking.org
> and got the following screen message:
>
> The domain recfoodcooking.org is may be for sale. Please send an
> inquiry to
>
> Maybe someone here with spare money and time might take it over
> and bring it back to life but that probably won't happen.
>
> "All things must pass" ;(

Why the surprise, this froup has been dead for a very long whiles now...95% of the posts are worthless...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 04:17:37 -0700 (PDT), GM
> wrote:

>Gary wrote:
>
>> ONO! >;-[]
>>
>> The RFC certified unofficial site has "left the building"
>> This is the good one with old member pictures, recipes,
>> birthdays, etc
>>
>> I went to it yesterday: recfoodcooking.org
>> and got the following screen message:
>>
>> The domain recfoodcooking.org is may be for sale. Please send an
>> inquiry to
>>
>> Maybe someone here with spare money and time might take it over
>> and bring it back to life but that probably won't happen.
>>
>> "All things must pass" ;(

>Why the surprise, this froup has been dead for a very long whiles now...95% of the posts are worthless...

Such as your political diarrhea posts?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 06:31:28 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>ONO! >;-[]
>
>The RFC certified unofficial site has "left the building"
>This is the good one with old member pictures, recipes,
>birthdays, etc
>
>I went to it yesterday: recfoodcooking.org
>and got the following screen message:
>
>The domain recfoodcooking.org is may be for sale. Please send an
>inquiry to
>
>Maybe someone here with spare money and time might take it over
>and bring it back to life but that probably won't happen.
>
>"All things must pass" ;(

Dude the Newsgroup will not ever go anywhere. It does not matter who
buys it or who sells it. Besides how can you sell an open forum that
has already been established on many servers?

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 06:31:28 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> ONO! >;-[]
>>
>> The RFC certified unofficial site has "left the building"
>> This is the good one with old member pictures, recipes,
>> birthdays, etc
>>
>> I went to it yesterday: recfoodcooking.org
>> and got the following screen message:
>>
>> The domain recfoodcooking.org is may be for sale. Please send an
>> inquiry to
>>
>> Maybe someone here with spare money and time might take it over
>> and bring it back to life but that probably won't happen.
>>
>> "All things must pass" ;(

> Dude the Newsgroup will not ever go anywhere. It does not matter who
> buys it or who sells it. Besides how can you sell an open forum that
> has already been established on many servers?
>
> --
>
> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Hes not talking about the Usenet newsgroup itself, but a domain that
existed previously and was used for rfc stuff, like photos of us,
recipes, etc. The website was maintained by an rfc member.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 12:31:19 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> ONO! >;-[]
>
> The RFC certified unofficial site has "left the building"
> This is the good one with old member pictures, recipes,
> birthdays, etc
>
> I went to it yesterday: recfoodcooking.org
> and got the following screen message:
>
> The domain recfoodcooking.org is may be for sale. Please send an
> inquiry to
>
> Maybe someone here with spare money and time might take it over
> and bring it back to life but that probably won't happen.
>
> "All things must pass" ;(

Somebody already owns it - for now, at least. Mostly, that site wants to sell you some other similar sounding domain or somebody bought it for resale. My guess is that you could probably register it in your name for cheap - but why would you?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JK has extra cash plus is a computer whizz. Step up John and save us.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 15:01:46 -0700 (PDT), Thomas >
wrote:

>JK has extra cash plus is a computer whizz. Step up John and save us.

Sadly, our potential wealthy digital philanthropist has proclaimed to
have "eschewed tech". John can now be found fighting the local tribes
of squirrels for their acorn hoards, and drinking direct from the
local streams (AKA drains).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 5:01:50 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:
> JK has extra cash plus is a computer whizz. Step up John and save us.

You mean the Other John?

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeus" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 06:31:28 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>ONO! >;-[]

Gasp.

>The RFC certified unofficial site has "left the building"
>This is the good one with old member pictures, recipes,
>birthdays, etc
>
>I went to it yesterday: recfoodcooking.org
>and got the following screen message:
>
>The domain recfoodcooking.org is may be for sale. Please send an
>inquiry to
>
>Maybe someone here with spare money and time might take it over
>and bring it back to life but that probably won't happen.
>
>"All things must pass" ;(

One can still view parts of it:
https://web.archive.org/web/2018*/recfoodcooking.org
https://web.archive.org/web/20180830...org/index.html

====

Was it not someone called 'Kathy' running it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeus" wrote:

> One can still view parts of it:
> https://web.archive.org/web/20180830...org/index.html

This one seems to work fine. Thank you for that. I didn't know
that websites were archived.

I just wanted to look up a recipe. Guess now, I'll look through
them and copy any I might want to keep.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 13:16:45 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Jeus" wrote in message ...
>
>On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 06:31:28 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>ONO! >;-[]

>Gasp.
>
>>The RFC certified unofficial site has "left the building"
>>This is the good one with old member pictures, recipes,
>>birthdays, etc
>>
>>I went to it yesterday: recfoodcooking.org
>>and got the following screen message:
>>
>>The domain recfoodcooking.org is may be for sale. Please send an
>>inquiry to
>>
>>Maybe someone here with spare money and time might take it over
>>and bring it back to life but that probably won't happen.
>>
>>"All things must pass" ;(

>One can still view parts of it:

https://web.archive.org/web/2018*/recfoodcooking.org
>https://web.archive.org/web/20180830...org/index.html
>
>====
>
> Was it not someone called 'Kathy' running it?

Chatty Cathy... I emailed her yesterday and asked about it... no reply
as of yet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message ...

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 13:16:45 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Jeus" wrote in message ...
>
>On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 06:31:28 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>ONO! >;-[]

>Gasp.
>
>>The RFC certified unofficial site has "left the building"
>>This is the good one with old member pictures, recipes,
>>birthdays, etc
>>
>>I went to it yesterday: recfoodcooking.org
>>and got the following screen message:
>>
>>The domain recfoodcooking.org is may be for sale. Please send an
>>inquiry to
>>
>>Maybe someone here with spare money and time might take it over
>>and bring it back to life but that probably won't happen.
>>
>>"All things must pass" ;(

>One can still view parts of it:

https://web.archive.org/web/2018*/recfoodcooking.org
>https://web.archive.org/web/20180830...org/index.html
>
>====
>
> Was it not someone called 'Kathy' running it?

Chatty Cathy... I emailed her yesterday and asked about it... no reply
as of yet.

===

Ahh yes! Chatty Cathy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 09:25:03 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>"Jeus" wrote:
>>
>> One can still view parts of it:
>> https://web.archive.org/web/20180830...org/index.html

>This one seems to work fine. Thank you for that. I didn't know
>that websites were archived.

No problem, most sites are not fully archived though.

>I just wanted to look up a recipe. Guess now, I'll look through
>them and copy any I might want to keep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2019 1:54 PM, Jinx the Minx wrote:
> > wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 06:31:28 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>>
>>> ONO! >;-[]
>>>
>>> The RFC certified unofficial site has "left the building"
>>> This is the good one with old member pictures, recipes,
>>> birthdays, etc
>>>
>>> I went to it yesterday: recfoodcooking.org
>>> and got the following screen message:
>>>
>>> The domain recfoodcooking.org is may be for sale. Please send an
>>> inquiry to
>>>
>>> Maybe someone here with spare money and time might take it over
>>> and bring it back to life but that probably won't happen.
>>>
>>> "All things must pass" ;(

>> Dude the Newsgroup will not ever go anywhere. It does not matter who
>> buys it or who sells it. Besides how can you sell an open forum that
>> has already been established on many servers?

Clueless!

> Hes not talking about the Usenet newsgroup itself, but a domain that
> existed previously and was used for rfc stuff, like photos of us,
> recipes, etc. The website was maintained by an rfc member.

Indeed it was! Maintained by several members over the course of many
years. It changed hands a bit. It also contains many 'In Memorium'
listings of RFC posters over the years. I sort of figured it was going
by the wayside when regular poster Cheri Gaudet died. I was still able
to access the site and clicked on Contact Webmaster (last known, Chatty
Cathy) and asked that her obit be added to that page on the site. Never
heard back and it never happened. I got the same message Gary did when
I tried to access it some time last month. Yet, when I tried again a
few days later I was able to access the RFC Signature Dishes page and
printed off a recipe I remembered and knew I could easily find there.
It's probably shut down now.

Hey! Sheldon always complains about how no submits pics of themselves
to the RFC photo gallery. Maybe he'd like to buy the domain and become
webmaster. <j/k>

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/2019 10:37 AM, wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 13:16:45 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> "Jeßus" wrote in message ...
>>
>> On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 06:31:28 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>>
>>> ONO! >;-[]

>> Gasp.
>>
>>> The RFC certified unofficial site has "left the building"
>>> This is the good one with old member pictures, recipes,
>>> birthdays, etc
>>>
>>> I went to it yesterday: recfoodcooking.org
>>> and got the following screen message:
>>>
>>> The domain recfoodcooking.org is may be for sale. Please send an
>>> inquiry to

>>> Maybe someone here with spare money and time might take it over
>>> and bring it back to life but that probably won't happen.
>>>
>>> "All things must pass" ;(

>> One can still view parts of it:

https://web.archive.org/web/2018*/recfoodcooking.org
>> https://web.archive.org/web/20180830...org/index.html
>>
>> ====
>>
>> Was it not someone called 'Kathy' running it?

> Chatty Cathy... I emailed her yesterday and asked about it... no reply
> as of yet.

I used the Contact Webmaster from the RFC site itself when Cheri Gaudet
died. Asked Chatty Cathy to add Cheri's obit info to the 'In Memorium'
page. A couple of times. It didn't happen. I don't think she's been
monitored the RFC site webmaster email address for a while.

I'm not terribly surprised if she's not interested in maintaining the
site. IIRC she came back here not all that long ago. Found a bunch of
trolls, including one pretending to be me who greeted her with a "****
you" response. Something I'd never do. I don't blame her for not
sticking around. Or for not wanting to maintain what used to be a fine
and dandy RFC website.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 23:54:09 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/11/2019 1:54 PM, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>> > wrote:

>>> Dude the Newsgroup will not ever go anywhere. It does not matter who
>>> buys it or who sells it. Besides how can you sell an open forum that
>>> has already been established on many servers?
>>>

>Clueless!
>>
>> Hes not talking about the Usenet newsgroup itself, but a domain that
>> existed previously and was used for rfc stuff, like photos of us,
>> recipes, etc. The website was maintained by an rfc member.
>>

>Indeed it was! Maintained by several members over the course of many
>years. It changed hands a bit. It also contains many 'In Memorium'

'In memoriam.'

If English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for us.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/2019 1:11 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 15:01:46 -0700 (PDT), Thomas wrote:
>
>> JK has extra cash plus is a computer whizz. Step up John and save us.

> He already has two abandoned domains he's paying for.
>
> -sw

I sure as heck wouldn't look at the RFC web site if he bought the domain.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 00:09:59 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/12/2019 1:11 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 15:01:46 -0700 (PDT), Thomas wrote:
>>
>>> JK has extra cash plus is a computer whizz. Step up John and save us.

>> He already has two abandoned domains he's paying for.
>>
>> -sw
>>

>I sure as heck wouldn't look at the RFC web site if he bought the domain.

"When did you turn into such an asshole?" (Jill)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I'm not terribly surprised if she's not interested in maintaining the
> site.* IIRC she came back here not all that long ago.* Found a bunch of
> trolls, including one pretending to be me who greeted her with a "****
> you" response.* Something I'd never do.* I don't blame her for not
> sticking around.* Or for not wanting to maintain what used to be a fine
> and dandy RFC website

New trolls or the same old assholes using new masks?
There had not been much activity for a long time, but RFC on FB is quite
active.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2019 9:32 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> I'm not terribly surprised if she's not interested in maintaining the
>> site.* IIRC she came back here not all that long ago.* Found a bunch
>> of trolls, including one pretending to be me who greeted her with a
>> "**** you" response.* Something I'd never do.* I don't blame her for
>> not sticking around.* Or for not wanting to maintain what used to be a
>> fine and dandy RFC website

> New trolls or the same old assholes using new masks?

Does it matter?

> There had not been much activity for a long time, but RFC on FB is quite
> active.

I'm sure it is. RFC on FB doesn't have much to do with the RFC website.
Lots of good archival information there. Recipes contributed by folks
from this ng, photos (even a pets photo gallery), a map (that was a
mistake, people kept putting themselves in the ocean). Chatty Cathy
used to post fun surveys and the winners got to choose from a number of
Tinfoil Hat designs. It's too bad the website is going by the wayside.
It was fun. I'm glad I printed out a bunch of the "signature dishes"
over the years.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-07-13 1:05 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/13/2019 9:32 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not terribly surprised if she's not interested in maintaining the
>>> site.* IIRC she came back here not all that long ago.* Found a bunch
>>> of trolls, including one pretending to be me who greeted her with a
>>> "**** you" response.* Something I'd never do.* I don't blame her for
>>> not sticking around.* Or for not wanting to maintain what used to be
>>> a fine and dandy RFC website

>> New trolls or the same old assholes using new masks?

> Does it matter?

Not really..... so long as people realize that is just the usual cast of
assholes nymshifting and tolling.

>> There had not been much activity for a long time, but RFC on FB is
>> quite active.
>>

> I'm sure it is.* RFC on FB doesn't have much to do with the RFC website.
> *Lots of good archival information there.* Recipes contributed by folks
> from this ng, photos (even a pets photo gallery), a map (that was a
> mistake, people kept putting themselves in the ocean).* Chatty Cathy
> used to post fun surveys and the winners got to choose from a number of
> Tinfoil Hat designs.* It's too bad the website is going by the wayside.
> It was fun.* I'm glad I printed out a bunch of the "signature dishes"
> over the years.

I hope you got mine for glazed lamb shanks with caramelized onions.
Everyone who ever ate that here loved it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-07-12, Jeus > wrote:

> No problem, most sites are not fully archived though.

Neither is this one!

I got a W10 box. Everything but main site and text is gone. No
"Mugshots". We got no website! If anyone cares, I'll be around.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2019 1:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> New trolls or the same old assholes using new masks?

>> Does it matter?

> Not really..... so long as people realize that is just the usual cast of
> assholes nymshifting and tolling.

Chatty Cathy hadn't been around for a while so she wasn't expecting it.
At least that's the impression I got. She hadn't thought to check
headers or set filters.

>>> There had not been much activity for a long time, but RFC on FB is
>>> quite active.
>>>

>> I'm sure it is.* RFC on FB doesn't have much to do with the RFC
>> website. **Lots of good archival information there.* Recipes
>> contributed by folks from this ng, photos (even a pets photo gallery),
>> a map (that was a mistake, people kept putting themselves in the
>> ocean).* Chatty Cathy used to post fun surveys and the winners got to
>> choose from a number of Tinfoil Hat designs.* It's too bad the website
>> is going by the wayside. It was fun.* I'm glad I printed out a bunch
>> of the "signature dishes" over the years.
>>

> I hope you got mine for glazed lamb shanks with caramelized onions.
> Everyone who ever ate that here loved it.

I can't say that I did, sorry! I'm sure you still have it. Why don't
you repost it now? Here.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2019 1:53 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2019-07-12, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> No problem, most sites are not fully archived though.

> Neither is this one!
>
> I got a W10 box. Everything but main site and text is gone. No
> "Mugshots". We got no website! If anyone cares, I'll be around.
>
> nb

Yeah, well the demise of the RFC website really has nothing to do with
us sticking around RFC on Usenet. We're still here, despite all the
naysayers and trolls.

I'm having a hard time deciding what to cook for dinner. I'm going to
thaw a 1/2 lb. pork tenderloin for tomorrow. Many choices for cooking
it. I could brush it with Dijon or other spicy grainy mustard. Roll it
in garlicky breadcrumbs. Place it in a baking pan and roast it. 20
minutes at 400F. Delicious!

Or marinate it in a bit of olive oil with lemon juice, white wine and
crushed rosemary in the fridge overnight. Roast it. 400F for 20 minutes.

Decisions, decisions.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 7/11/2019 1:54 PM, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>> > wrote:

>>> Dude the Newsgroup will not ever go anywhere. It does not matter who
>>> buys it or who sells it. Besides how can you sell an open forum that
>>> has already been established on many servers?
>>>

>Clueless!
>>
>> Hes not talking about the Usenet newsgroup itself, but a domain that
>> existed previously and was used for rfc stuff, like photos of us,
>> recipes, etc. The website was maintained by an rfc member.
>>

>Indeed it was! Maintained by several members over the course of many
>years. It changed hands a bit. It also contains many 'In Memorium'
>listings of RFC posters over the years. I sort of figured it was going
>by the wayside when regular poster Cheri Gaudet died. I was still able
>to access the site and clicked on Contact Webmaster (last known, Chatty
>Cathy) and asked that her obit be added to that page on the site. Never
>heard back and it never happened. I got the same message Gary did when
>I tried to access it some time last month. Yet, when I tried again a
>few days later I was able to access the RFC Signature Dishes page and
>printed off a recipe I remembered and knew I could easily find there.
>It's probably shut down now.
>
>Hey! Sheldon always complains about how no submits pics of themselves
>to the RFC photo gallery. Maybe he'd like to buy the domain and become
>webmaster. <j/k>
>
>Jill

I already emailed Chatty Cathy two days ago but no reply as of yet.

I don't know how to maintain a web site but I'd gladly donate the few
dollars, I don't think the fee is very much. Something must have
befallen them in South Africa... a very troubled spot on the planet.
And actually from what I was told it was her husband who mostly
maintained the site.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 15:24:12 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/13/2019 1:53 PM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2019-07-12, Jeßus > wrote:
>>
>>> No problem, most sites are not fully archived though.

>> Neither is this one!
>>
>> I got a W10 box. Everything but main site and text is gone. No
>> "Mugshots". We got no website! If anyone cares, I'll be around.
>>
>> nb
>>

>Yeah, well the demise of the RFC website really has nothing to do with
>us sticking around RFC on Usenet. We're still here, despite all the
>naysayers and trolls.

You mean despite bitches like you and Dave
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Signature recipe ...was disturbing RFC news:

On 2019-07-13 3:10 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

>> I hope you got mine for glazed lamb shanks with caramelized onions.
>> Everyone who ever ate that here loved it.

> I can't say that I did, sorry!* I'm sure you still have it.* Why don't
> you repost it now?* Here.

Lamb Shanks with Caramelized Onions

Shanks:
1 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
5 lamb shanks
2 onions chopped
3 cloves garlic chopped
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp. Paprika
1/2 tsp. Each salt, pepper and turmeric
Pinch hot pepper flakes
4 cups beef stock
1 can (19 oz. 540 ml) chopped tomatoes
3 large carrots
4 zucchini thickly sliced
1 can (19 oz. 340 ml) chick peas

Caramelized onions:
2 Tblsp. Butter
4 onions sliced
1 Tblsp. granulated sugar
½ Tsp ground ginger
¾ Tsp, cinnamon
¼ Tsp. Turmeric
½ cup raisin
¼ cup slivered almonds

In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat and brown lamb
shanks on all sides in batches. Transfer to a plate and drain off fat
in pan.. Reduce heat to medium and add onions, garlic, cinnamon,
paprika, hot pepper flakes, turmeric, stirring often for 5 minutes until
soft.
Return shanks to pot , add tomatoes and beef stock and simmer for about
1 ½ hour until lamb is just tender. (This part can be done in a 325 F oven)
Increase heat to medium, add carrots, zucchini and chick peas and cook
covered for 20 minutes or until lamb and vegetables are tender.

Strain and set meat and vegetables aside. Bring reserved liquid to a
boil for about 15 minutes to reduce by half. Return meat and vegetables
to liquid to heat through,

Caramelized onions:
Meanwhile. In a large heavy skillet, melt butter and add onions, sugar,
cinnamon, ginger, salt, pepper and turmeric. Cover and stir occasionally
for 10 minutes. Add raisins and continue cooking for ten minutes, then
uncover and cook for another 5 until onions are golden and no liquid
remains.

To serve, ladle stew into warmed bowls, top with caramelized onions and
sprinkle with slivered almonds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2019 4:42 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-07-13 3:10 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>
>>> I hope you got mine for glazed lamb shanks with caramelized onions.
>>> Everyone who ever ate that here loved it.

>> I can't say that I did, sorry!* I'm sure you still have it.* Why don't
>> you repost it now?* Here.

> Lamb Shanks with Caramelized Onions
>
> Shanks:
> 1 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
> 5 lamb shanks
> 2 onions chopped
> 3 cloves garlic chopped
> 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
> 1 tsp. Paprika
> 1/2 tsp. Each salt, pepper and turmeric
> Pinch hot pepper flakes
> 4 cups beef stock
> 1 can (19 oz. 540 ml) chopped tomatoes
> 3 large carrots
> 4 zucchini thickly sliced
> 1 can (19 oz. 340 ml) chick peas
>

> Caramelized onions:
> 2 Tblsp. Butter
> 4 onions sliced
> 1 Tblsp.* granulated sugar
> ½* Tsp ground ginger
> ¾ Tsp, cinnamon
> ¼ Tsp. Turmeric
> ½ cup raisin
> ¼ cup slivered almonds
>

> In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat and brown lamb
> shanks on all sides in batches.* Transfer to a plate and drain off fat
> in pan..* Reduce heat to medium and add onions, garlic, cinnamon,
> paprika, hot pepper flakes, turmeric, stirring often for 5 minutes until
> soft.
> Return shanks to pot , add tomatoes and beef stock and simmer for about
> 1 ½ hour until lamb is just tender.* (This part can be done in a 325 F
> oven)
> Increase heat to medium, add carrots, zucchini and chick peas and cook
> covered for 20 minutes or until lamb and vegetables are tender.
>
> Strain* and set meat and vegetables aside.* Bring reserved liquid to a
> boil for about 15 minutes to reduce by half. Return meat and vegetables
> to liquid to heat through,
>
> Caramelized onions:
> Meanwhile. In a large heavy skillet, melt butter and add onions, sugar,
> cinnamon, ginger, salt, pepper and turmeric. Cover and stir occasionally
> *for 10 minutes. Add raisins and continue cooking for ten minutes, then
> uncover and cook for another 5 until onions are golden and no liquid
> remains.
>
> To serve, ladle stew into warmed bowls, top with caramelized onions and
> sprinkle with slivered almonds.

I've saved that, thanks for posting it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Hey!* Sheldon always complains about how no submits pics of
> themselves to the RFC photo gallery.* Maybe he'd like to buy the
> domain and become webmaster. <j/k>
>
> Jill

I'll vote for that! Popeye should take it over as soon as possible.

POPEYE, WHERE ARE YOOSE?

Popeye is rich, but yoose wimmens will have to chip in a little
aging pussy to keep the old admiral happy.

If any of yoose are 100% mayan mexicans, he will go for that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 00:09:59 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> He already has two abandoned domains he's paying for.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> I sure as heck wouldn't look at the RFC web site if he bought the domain.

> "When did you turn into such an asshole?" (Jill)

That's what I'm talking about. She sure calms you down, even when
you are in a rage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
> wrote:

> I don't know how to maintain a web site but I'd gladly donate the few
> dollars, I don't think the fee is very much. Something must have
> befallen them in South Africa... a very troubled spot on the planet.
> And actually from what I was told it was her husband who mostly
> maintained the site.

One needs to secure the domain name, or change it slightly if the
original is being held hostage for big bucks. Let's call the new one
recfoodcookingforever.com for now. I used to use GoDaddy for this.
<www.godaddy.com>, but there are others. It's inexpensive to secure a
domain name. It can be expensive to use a old one.
Then you need a hosting service. I used BlueHost, but I see GoDaddy
seems to do this now. That is fairly inexpensive also.
The total cost to me used to be less than fifty bucks a month. It may
cost a little more for a secure server site which one ought to have
these days, I've been told.
HTML 4.01 Strict forever! Yeah! Um...obsolete.
Then you have to create and upload the site to the host. I used to
create and upload my own stuff, so there was no charge for that. But
I'm old now and haven't kept up with the web. HTML and CSS were a
breeze to learn and a breeze to forget.
Creating a site as simple as rfc is/was easy, but maintaining it with
new info is a pain in the ass if you're not dedicated to the job. I'm
surprised that Chatty Cathy maintained it for so long for nothing at
all. Thanks, Chatty Cathy, from the bottom of my heart!
Comments Steve?

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 7:10:41 PM UTC-10, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> > wrote:
>
> > I don't know how to maintain a web site but I'd gladly donate the few
> > dollars, I don't think the fee is very much. Something must have
> > befallen them in South Africa... a very troubled spot on the planet.
> > And actually from what I was told it was her husband who mostly
> > maintained the site.

> One needs to secure the domain name, or change it slightly if the
> original is being held hostage for big bucks. Let's call the new one
> recfoodcookingforever.com for now. I used to use GoDaddy for this.
> <www.godaddy.com>, but there are others. It's inexpensive to secure a
> domain name. It can be expensive to use a old one.
> Then you need a hosting service. I used BlueHost, but I see GoDaddy
> seems to do this now. That is fairly inexpensive also.
> The total cost to me used to be less than fifty bucks a month. It may
> cost a little more for a secure server site which one ought to have
> these days, I've been told.
> HTML 4.01 Strict forever! Yeah! Um...obsolete.
> Then you have to create and upload the site to the host. I used to
> create and upload my own stuff, so there was no charge for that. But
> I'm old now and haven't kept up with the web. HTML and CSS were a
> breeze to learn and a breeze to forget.
> Creating a site as simple as rfc is/was easy, but maintaining it with
> new info is a pain in the ass if you're not dedicated to the job. I'm
> surprised that Chatty Cathy maintained it for so long for nothing at
> all. Thanks, Chatty Cathy, from the bottom of my heart!
> Comments Steve?
>
> leo

I used to have a domain name registered through a proxy. The hosting and domain cost me less than $200 a year. I had it for thirteen years. $600 a year seems kinda steep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
dsi1 > wrote:

> I used to have a domain name registered through a proxy. The hosting and
> domain cost me less than $200 a year. I had it for thirteen years. $600 a year seems kinda steep.

Hmm... I did say less than in my defense. I gave up the site in 2015.
Domain name ended at $35 per year and hosting looks like an average of
about $100 per year. I just looked it up in my financial program. Could
it have been that cheap? Probably. My mind is aging. I thought I gave
it all up ten years ago, not four.
I stick by dynamic maintenance is a pain in the ass, and I still thank
Chatty Cathy.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 10:52:50 PM UTC-10, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> dsi1 > wrote:
>
> > I used to have a domain name registered through a proxy. The hosting and
> > domain cost me less than $200 a year. I had it for thirteen years. $600 a year seems kinda steep.

> Hmm... I did say less than in my defense. I gave up the site in 2015.
> Domain name ended at $35 per year and hosting looks like an average of
> about $100 per year. I just looked it up in my financial program. Could
> it have been that cheap? Probably. My mind is aging. I thought I gave
> it all up ten years ago, not four.
> I stick by dynamic maintenance is a pain in the ass, and I still thank
> Chatty Cathy.
>
> leo

Some folks do pay $50 a month for basic web hosting. I sure wouldn't. Maintenance can be kind of a drag. That's why it could be a good idea to have some guy handle that aspect of your business. I sure didn't - but I probably should have. OTOH, I had a dirt cheap advertising budget.