Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My Dinner 7/9/2019

Let's see if we can get through this post about food without any drama
or acrimony.

Broccoli cheese soup:

https://i.postimg.cc/KjTLfhSF/broccoli.jpg

I used several different types of shredded cheeses. Monterey jack,
cheddar, asadero and asiago. It's a rich, creamy, very tasty soup.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 6:02:05 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> Let's see if we can get through this post about food without any drama
> or acrimony.
>
> Broccoli cheese soup:
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/KjTLfhSF/broccoli.jpg
>
> I used several different types of shredded cheeses. Monterey jack,
> cheddar, asadero and asiago. It's a rich, creamy, very tasty soup.
>
> Jill

I'll take a bowl!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/9/2019 7:11 PM, wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 6:02:05 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Let's see if we can get through this post about food without any drama
>> or acrimony.
>>
>> Broccoli cheese soup:

https://i.postimg.cc/KjTLfhSF/broccoli.jpg

>> I used several different types of shredded cheeses. Monterey jack,
>> cheddar, asadero and asiago. It's a rich, creamy, very tasty soup.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I'll take a bowl!

C'mon over!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 19:01:59 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>Let's see if we can get through this post about food without any drama
>or acrimony.

The drama and acrimony tend to come from you, so it's your call

>Broccoli cheese soup:
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/KjTLfhSF/broccoli.jpg
>
>I used several different types of shredded cheeses. Monterey jack,
>cheddar, asadero and asiago. It's a rich, creamy, very tasty soup.

Looks like a good soupie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Let's see if we can get through this post about food without any drama
>or acrimony.
>
>Broccoli cheese soup:
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/KjTLfhSF/broccoli.jpg
>
>I used several different types of shredded cheeses. Monterey jack,
>cheddar, asadero and asiago. It's a rich, creamy, very tasty soup.

It looks good... but I have to admit to not liking broccoli soup, or
at least my versions of it. I find broccoli develops an unpleasant
taste with too much cooking, such as in soups. Am I the only who feels
this way?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-07-09 10:02 p.m., Je�us wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 19:01:59 -0400, jmcquown >

>> Broccoli cheese soup:
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/KjTLfhSF/broccoli.jpg
>>
>> I used several different types of shredded cheeses. Monterey jack,
>> cheddar, asadero and asiago. It's a rich, creamy, very tasty soup.

> It looks good... but I have to admit to not liking broccoli soup, or
> at least my versions of it. I find broccoli develops an unpleasant
> taste with too much cooking, such as in soups. Am I the only who feels
> this way?

It could just be your version of broccoli soup. Broccoli can develop a
nasty taste when it is overcooked. I have has some soups that has that
nastiness, but I have had some that were delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 22:12:54 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-07-09 10:02 p.m., Je?us wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 19:01:59 -0400, jmcquown >

>>> Broccoli cheese soup:
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/KjTLfhSF/broccoli.jpg
>>>
>>> I used several different types of shredded cheeses. Monterey jack,
>>> cheddar, asadero and asiago. It's a rich, creamy, very tasty soup.

>> It looks good... but I have to admit to not liking broccoli soup, or
>> at least my versions of it. I find broccoli develops an unpleasant
>> taste with too much cooking, such as in soups. Am I the only who feels
>> this way?
>>

>It could just be your version of broccoli soup. Broccoli can develop a
>nasty taste when it is overcooked. I have has some soups that has that
>nastiness, but I have had some that were delicious.

Yes, so you know what I mean then. I'd like to know how to avoid that
taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-07-09 10:15 p.m., Je�us wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 22:12:54 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>> It could just be your version of broccoli soup. Broccoli can develop a
>> nasty taste when it is overcooked. I have has some soups that has that
>> nastiness, but I have had some that were delicious.

> Yes, so you know what I mean then. I'd like to know how to avoid that
> taste.

If you are willing to try it again, I might suggest leaving the broccoli
out while the other stuff is cooking and then toss it in with only about
4 minutes cooking time left. Personally, I usually steam broccoli for
three minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 23:17:38 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-07-09 10:15 p.m., Je?us wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 22:12:54 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> It could just be your version of broccoli soup. Broccoli can develop a
>>> nasty taste when it is overcooked. I have has some soups that has that
>>> nastiness, but I have had some that were delicious.

>> Yes, so you know what I mean then. I'd like to know how to avoid that
>> taste.
>>

>If you are willing to try it again, I might suggest leaving the broccoli
>out while the other stuff is cooking and then toss it in with only about
>4 minutes cooking time left. Personally, I usually steam broccoli for
>three minutes.

Why don't you suggest that then?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 23:17:38 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-07-09 10:15 p.m., Je?us wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 22:12:54 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> It could just be your version of broccoli soup. Broccoli can develop a
>>> nasty taste when it is overcooked. I have has some soups that has that
>>> nastiness, but I have had some that were delicious.

>> Yes, so you know what I mean then. I'd like to know how to avoid that
>> taste.
>>

>If you are willing to try it again, I might suggest leaving the broccoli
>out while the other stuff is cooking and then toss it in with only about
>4 minutes cooking time left. Personally, I usually steam broccoli for
>three minutes.

Yeah, I was thinking similar actually. Make the soup sans broccoli -
add the broccoli near the end of the cooking... and don't make too
much soup, so it doesn't get reheated too often. But then, I can think
of many other soups I prefer to make anyway - such as cauliflower or
pumpkin soup, both which don't have the broccoli problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/9/2019 7:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Let's see if we can get through this post about food without any drama
> or acrimony.
>
> Broccoli cheese soup:
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/KjTLfhSF/broccoli.jpg
>
> I used several different types of shredded cheeses.Â* Monterey jack,
> cheddar, asadero and asiago.Â* It's a rich, creamy, very tasty soup.
>
> Jill

I like the blend of cheeses. Nice crusty bread and a really good meal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 12:02:54 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 19:01:59 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>Let's see if we can get through this post about food without any drama
>>or acrimony.
>>
>>Broccoli cheese soup:
>>
>>https://i.postimg.cc/KjTLfhSF/broccoli.jpg
>>
>>I used several different types of shredded cheeses. Monterey jack,
>>cheddar, asadero and asiago. It's a rich, creamy, very tasty soup.

>It looks good... but I have to admit to not liking broccoli soup, or
>at least my versions of it. I find broccoli develops an unpleasant
>taste with too much cooking, such as in soups. Am I the only who feels
>this way?

No, I tried broccoli in soup once and it just overpowered the soup.
Never did that again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 23:49:01 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 12:02:54 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 19:01:59 -0400, jmcquown >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Let's see if we can get through this post about food without any drama
>>>or acrimony.
>>>
>>>Broccoli cheese soup:
>>>
>>>https://i.postimg.cc/KjTLfhSF/broccoli.jpg
>>>
>>>I used several different types of shredded cheeses. Monterey jack,
>>>cheddar, asadero and asiago. It's a rich, creamy, very tasty soup.

>>It looks good... but I have to admit to not liking broccoli soup, or
>>at least my versions of it. I find broccoli develops an unpleasant
>>taste with too much cooking, such as in soups. Am I the only who feels
>>this way?

>No, I tried broccoli in soup once and it just overpowered the soup.
>Never did that again.

P1: I made broccoli soup.
P2: Was it good?
P1: No, I didn't like it.
P2: Why not?
P1: It tasted of broccoli.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 12:02:54 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 19:01:59 -0400, jmcquown >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Let's see if we can get through this post about food without any drama
>>>or acrimony.
>>>
>>>Broccoli cheese soup:
>>>
>>>https://i.postimg.cc/KjTLfhSF/broccoli.jpg
>>>
>>>I used several different types of shredded cheeses. Monterey jack,
>>>cheddar, asadero and asiago. It's a rich, creamy, very tasty soup.

>>It looks good... but I have to admit to not liking broccoli soup, or
>>at least my versions of it. I find broccoli develops an unpleasant
>>taste with too much cooking, such as in soups. Am I the only who feels
>>this way?

>No, I tried broccoli in soup once and it just overpowered the soup.
>Never did that again.

Yes, don't really blame you there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Let's see if we can get through this post about food without any drama
>or acrimony.
>
>Broccoli cheese soup:
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/KjTLfhSF/broccoli.jpg
>
>I used several different types of shredded cheeses. Monterey jack,
>cheddar, asadero and asiago. It's a rich, creamy, very tasty soup.

It looks good... but I have to admit to not liking broccoli soup, or
at least my versions of it. I find broccoli develops an unpleasant
taste with too much cooking, such as in soups. Am I the only who feels
this way?

=====

No! I much prefer it roasted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 19:01:59 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>>Let's see if we can get through this post about food without any drama
>>or acrimony.
>>
>>Broccoli cheese soup:
>>
>>https://i.postimg.cc/KjTLfhSF/broccoli.jpg
>>
>>I used several different types of shredded cheeses. Monterey jack,
>>cheddar, asadero and asiago. It's a rich, creamy, very tasty soup.

> It looks good... but I have to admit to not liking broccoli soup, or
> at least my versions of it. I find broccoli develops an unpleasant
> taste with too much cooking, such as in soups. Am I the only who feels
> this way?

I can't do cooked broccoli at all. Is that drama?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 23:49:01 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 12:02:54 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>It looks good... but I have to admit to not liking broccoli soup, or
>>>at least my versions of it. I find broccoli develops an unpleasant
>>>taste with too much cooking, such as in soups. Am I the only who feels
>>>this way?

>>No, I tried broccoli in soup once and it just overpowered the soup.
>>Never did that again.

> P1: I made broccoli soup.
> P2: Was it good?
> P1: No, I didn't like it.
> P2: Why not?
> P1: It tasted of broccoli.

*Snicker*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/2019 1:49 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 12:02:54 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 19:01:59 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Let's see if we can get through this post about food without any drama
>>> or acrimony.
>>>
>>> Broccoli cheese soup:
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/KjTLfhSF/broccoli.jpg
>>>
>>> I used several different types of shredded cheeses. Monterey jack,
>>> cheddar, asadero and asiago. It's a rich, creamy, very tasty soup.

>> It looks good... but I have to admit to not liking broccoli soup, or
>> at least my versions of it. I find broccoli develops an unpleasant
>> taste with too much cooking, such as in soups. Am I the only who feels
>> this way?

> No, I tried broccoli in soup once and it just overpowered the soup.
> Never did that again.

Maybe is was the ratio. You want to taste it, but should not overpower.

I have to find a recipe that breaks it into two pots. The broccoli is
lightly cooked in chicken broth, the cheese in a milk base, then the two
combine. It does not get strong overcooked flavor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 12:02:54 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 19:01:59 -0400, jmcquown >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Let's see if we can get through this post about food without any drama
>>>or acrimony.
>>>
>>>Broccoli cheese soup:
>>>
>>>https://i.postimg.cc/KjTLfhSF/broccoli.jpg
>>>
>>>I used several different types of shredded cheeses. Monterey jack,
>>>cheddar, asadero and asiago. It's a rich, creamy, very tasty soup.

>>It looks good... but I have to admit to not liking broccoli soup, or
>>at least my versions of it. I find broccoli develops an unpleasant
>>taste with too much cooking, such as in soups. Am I the only who feels
>>this way?

>No, I tried broccoli in soup once and it just overpowered the soup.
>Never did that again.

We like broccoli but not in soup. Most times we eat broccoli raw, in
salads. Just a little more work to slice into bite size pieces. I
peel the stems, those are the best part.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 9:56:51 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 23:49:01 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 12:02:54 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

> >>It looks good... but I have to admit to not liking broccoli soup, or
> >>at least my versions of it. I find broccoli develops an unpleasant
> >>taste with too much cooking, such as in soups. Am I the only who feels
> >>this way?

> >No, I tried broccoli in soup once and it just overpowered the soup.
> >Never did that again.

> We like broccoli but not in soup. Most times we eat broccoli raw, in
> salads. Just a little more work to slice into bite size pieces. I
> peel the stems, those are the best part.

I like the stems. They are also great in soups/stews.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 08:20:18 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 9:56:51 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 23:49:01 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:

>> >No, I tried broccoli in soup once and it just overpowered the soup.
>> >Never did that again.

>> We like broccoli but not in soup. Most times we eat broccoli raw, in
>> salads. Just a little more work to slice into bite size pieces. I
>> peel the stems, those are the best part.

>I like the stems. They are also great in soups/stews.

I love the stems and dislike the tops. Unfortunately most of what is
sold around here is broccoli "crowns." I can get the whole thing if I
grow it or if I shop at Trader Joes. Trader Joes is great for foot
traffic and not so good for getting there and then getting a parking
space.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/2019 8:26 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 19:01:59 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Let's see if we can get through this post about food without any drama
>>> or acrimony.
>>>
>>> Broccoli cheese soup:
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/KjTLfhSF/broccoli.jpg
>>>
>>> I used several different types of shredded cheeses.Â* Monterey jack,
>>> cheddar, asadero and asiago.Â* It's a rich, creamy, very tasty soup.

>> It looks good... but I have to admit to not liking broccoli soup, or
>> at least my versions of it. I find broccoli develops an unpleasant
>> taste with too much cooking, such as in soups. Am I the only who feels
>> this way?

> I can't do cooked broccoli at all. Is that drama?

No, but not surprising, either.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/9/2019 11:40 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/9/2019 7:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Let's see if we can get through this post about food without any drama
>> or acrimony.
>>
>> Broccoli cheese soup:
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/KjTLfhSF/broccoli.jpg
>>
>> I used several different types of shredded cheeses.Â* Monterey jack,
>> cheddar, asadero and asiago.Â* It's a rich, creamy, very tasty soup.
>>
>> Jill

> I like the blend of cheeses.Â* Nice crusty bread and a really good meal.

IMHO, the blend of cheeses makes all the difference. I've had some
pretty bad or boring broccoli cheese soup that was made solely with cheddar.

The other thing, of course, not over cooking the broccoli. Yes, I
steamed it but didn't cook it to death. I used a steamer basket.
Lifted it out to drain, set it aside to cool. I used the same pot to
make the soup itself. I stirred the broccoli in at the end to heat through.

If you don't like broccoli or broccoli soup, I suggest you don't make
this.

Jill