Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default tartar sauce

but it's not really sauce since we like it rather
chunky with dill pickles. relish perhaps?

dill pickles finely minced
onion powder or minced onion
garlic salt
lemon juice
mayo

simple,

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Perfect
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-07-09 3:41 p.m., songbird wrote:
> but it's not really sauce since we like it rather
> chunky with dill pickles. relish perhaps?
>
> dill pickles finely minced
> onion powder or minced onion
> garlic salt
> lemon juice
> mayo
>
> simple,
>

> songbird

What, no capers? Dill just ruins it, in fact dill ruins most things!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
> What, no capers? Dill just ruins it, in fact dill ruins most things!

well if you don't like dill that's fine with me.
substitute what you like.

i like dill so much i'll stand in the garden and
eat it and often will have a stem in my mouth to
chomp on.

to me it is just a different form of parsley
(which i also like).

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:

> i like dill so much i'll stand in the garden and
> eat it and often will have a stem in my mouth to
> chomp on.
>
> to me it is just a different form of parsley
> (which i also like).

I mistakenly added way too much dill to a potato salad once years
ago. I haven't used it (the herb) since. BTW, dill pickles minced
into a tartar sauce sounds good and right. Your recipe sounds
good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-07-09 10:02 p.m., graham wrote:
> On 2019-07-09 3:41 p.m., songbird wrote:
>> Â*Â* but it's not really sauce since we like it rather
>> chunky with dill pickles.Â* relish perhaps?
>>
>> Â*Â* dill pickles finely minced
>> Â*Â* onion powder or minced onion
>> Â*Â* garlic salt
>> Â*Â* lemon juice
>> Â*Â* mayo
>>
>> Â*Â* simple,
>>

>> Â*Â* songbird
>>

> What, no capers? Dill just ruins it, in fact dill ruins most things!

You would not appreciate a lot of Baltic cooking. They use lots of dill
on lots of things. They even like to put a handful of dill in the water
when boiling potatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" > wrote in message
> but it's not really sauce since we like it rather
> chunky with dill pickles. relish perhaps?
>
> dill pickles finely minced
> onion powder or minced onion
> garlic salt
> lemon juice
> mayo
>
> simple,
>

> songbird

I don't make it but about once a year I buy some from my friend's company.

http://www.captaintoadys.com/about.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 07:55:41 -0400, songbird >
wrote:

>graham wrote:
>> What, no capers? Dill just ruins it, in fact dill ruins most things!

> well if you don't like dill that's fine with me.
>substitute what you like.
>
> i like dill so much i'll stand in the garden and
>eat it and often will have a stem in my mouth to
>chomp on.
>
> to me it is just a different form of parsley
>(which i also like).
>
> songbird

We use a lot of dill, in many dishes; tuna salad, potatoe salad, egg
salad, naturally dill pickles, and we love dill bread. first need to
make a dill dough... I've made a dill dough pizza. it's very good. We
always have dried dillweed on hand, and I grow dill during summer. We
sometimes have a green salad dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, s n'
p, and dill. We like fresh garden tomatoes with fresh dill. Meat
loaf is excellent with a Swedish dill sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 9:15:09 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 07:55:41 -0400, songbird >
> wrote:
>
> >graham wrote:
> >> What, no capers? Dill just ruins it, in fact dill ruins most things!

> > well if you don't like dill that's fine with me.
> >substitute what you like.
> >
> > i like dill so much i'll stand in the garden and
> >eat it and often will have a stem in my mouth to
> >chomp on.
> >
> > to me it is just a different form of parsley
> >(which i also like).
> >
> > songbird

> We use a lot of dill, in many dishes; tuna salad, potatoe salad, egg
> salad, naturally dill pickles, and we love dill bread. first need to
> make a dill dough... I've made a dill dough pizza. it's very good. We
> always have dried dillweed on hand, and I grow dill during summer. We
> sometimes have a green salad dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, s n'
> p, and dill. We like fresh garden tomatoes with fresh dill. Meat
> loaf is excellent with a Swedish dill sauce.

I'm not a fan of cucumber salad, but it's edible with a sour cream dressing with dill.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> songbird wrote:
>>
>> i like dill so much i'll stand in the garden and
>> eat it and often will have a stem in my mouth to
>> chomp on.
>>
>> to me it is just a different form of parsley
>> (which i also like).

> I mistakenly added way too much dill to a potato salad once years
> ago. I haven't used it (the herb) since. BTW, dill pickles minced
> into a tartar sauce sounds good and right. Your recipe sounds
> good.

i'm not a huge fan of generic store bought dill pickles,
but the ones i make are just right for me.

as for too much dill that would not compute easily in my
head. i mean if you were using dry dill and dumped so
much in that it looked like dried pesto then sure that's
too much, but for me i like a lot of dill.

when i'm eating the pickles from the jars i'm often
eating the pickled dill too. i think i like it more than
the pickles.

for brunch today i had cold fish sticks with the above
tartar chunks over it. there's more pickles than sauce
for sure. i like cucumber salad or cucumbers in about
any form so they're a good addition to about anything
where i want more vegetables and more liquid crunchyness.
it's so hot today that cold food was perfect. i've
already done my garden chores so now i get to make more
pickles.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 06:30:41 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 9:15:09 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 07:55:41 -0400, songbird >
>> wrote:

>> > well if you don't like dill that's fine with me.
>> >substitute what you like.
>> >
>> > i like dill so much i'll stand in the garden and
>> >eat it and often will have a stem in my mouth to
>> >chomp on.
>> >
>> > to me it is just a different form of parsley
>> >(which i also like).
>> >
>> > songbird

>> We use a lot of dill, in many dishes; tuna salad, potatoe salad, egg
>> salad, naturally dill pickles, and we love dill bread. first need to
>> make a dill dough... I've made a dill dough pizza. it's very good. We
>> always have dried dillweed on hand, and I grow dill during summer. We
>> sometimes have a green salad dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, s n'
>> p, and dill. We like fresh garden tomatoes with fresh dill. Meat
>> loaf is excellent with a Swedish dill sauce.

>I'm not a fan of cucumber salad, but it's edible with a sour cream dressing with dill.

I think it's an English thing. Who else would think of this wild idea?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
> wrote:

> We use a lot of dill, in many dishes; tuna salad, potatoe salad, egg
> salad, naturally dill pickles, and we love dill bread. first need to
> make a dill dough... I've made a dill dough pizza.

I waited for three posts for someone to pick up on this. Dill dough?
Say it altogether and out loud.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 2:42:00 PM UTC-7, songbird wrote:
> but it's not really sauce since we like it rather
> chunky with dill pickles. relish perhaps?
>
> dill pickles finely minced
> onion powder or minced onion
> garlic salt
> lemon juice
> mayo
>
> simple,
>

> songbird

my preferred tartar sauce:

https://www.hizzoners.com/index.php/...8-tartar-sauce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 17:06:10 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>In article >,
> wrote:
>

>> We use a lot of dill, in many dishes; tuna salad, potatoe salad, egg
>> salad, naturally dill pickles, and we love dill bread. first need to
>> make a dill dough... I've made a dill dough pizza.

>I waited for three posts for someone to pick up on this. Dill dough?
>Say it altogether and out loud.
>
>leo

we all got it
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, U.S. Janet B.
> wrote:

> we all got it

Damn! I got whooshed. Ain't the first time.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 5:28:19 PM UTC-10, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >, U.S. Janet B.
> > wrote:
>
> > we all got it

> Damn! I got whooshed. Ain't the first time.
>
> leo

Why yes, this pretty much happens whenever somebody says the word "dill." Tee hee hee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 8:06:14 PM UTC-4, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> > wrote:
>

> > We use a lot of dill, in many dishes; tuna salad, potatoe salad, egg
> > salad, naturally dill pickles, and we love dill bread. first need to
> > make a dill dough... I've made a dill dough pizza.

> I waited for three posts for someone to pick up on this. Dill dough?
> Say it altogether and out loud.
>
> leo

I never thought about it, because I don't pronounce words in my head
while reading.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 8:06:14 PM UTC-4, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> > In article >,
> > > wrote:
> >

> > > We use a lot of dill, in many dishes; tuna salad, potatoe salad, egg
> > > salad, naturally dill pickles, and we love dill bread. first need to
> > > make a dill dough... I've made a dill dough pizza.

> > I waited for three posts for someone to pick up on this. Dill dough?
> > Say it altogether and out loud.
> >
> > leo

> I never thought about it, because I don't pronounce words in my head
> while reading.

I also read that post but missed the 2-word connection until Leo
mentioned it. Knowing Sheldon, I might even suspect he purposely
wrote it (twice) as a secret play on words.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 06:30:41 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 9:15:09 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 07:55:41 -0400, songbird >
>> wrote:

>> > well if you don't like dill that's fine with me.
>> >substitute what you like.
>> >
>> > i like dill so much i'll stand in the garden and
>> >eat it and often will have a stem in my mouth to
>> >chomp on.
>> >
>> > to me it is just a different form of parsley
>> >(which i also like).
>> >
>> > songbird

>> We use a lot of dill, in many dishes; tuna salad, potatoe salad, egg
>> salad, naturally dill pickles, and we love dill bread. first need to
>> make a dill dough... I've made a dill dough pizza. it's very good. We
>> always have dried dillweed on hand, and I grow dill during summer. We
>> sometimes have a green salad dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, s n'
>> p, and dill. We like fresh garden tomatoes with fresh dill. Meat
>> loaf is excellent with a Swedish dill sauce.

>I'm not a fan of cucumber salad, but it's edible with a sour cream dressing
>with dill.

I think it's an English thing. Who else would think of this wild idea?

====

LOL true! I haven't had that since I was a child)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 11:31:06 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 06:30:41 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 9:15:09 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:

>>> We use a lot of dill, in many dishes; tuna salad, potatoe salad, egg
>>> salad, naturally dill pickles, and we love dill bread. first need to
>>> make a dill dough... I've made a dill dough pizza. it's very good. We
>>> always have dried dillweed on hand, and I grow dill during summer. We
>>> sometimes have a green salad dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, s n'
>>> p, and dill. We like fresh garden tomatoes with fresh dill. Meat
>>> loaf is excellent with a Swedish dill sauce.

>>I'm not a fan of cucumber salad, but it's edible with a sour cream dressing
>>with dill.

>I think it's an English thing. Who else would think of this wild idea?
>
>====
>
> LOL true! I haven't had that since I was a child)

Lol. I never heard of it before I moved to Australia and I'm sure they
got it from you (you plural)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 11:31:06 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 06:30:41 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 9:15:09 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:

>>> We use a lot of dill, in many dishes; tuna salad, potatoe salad, egg
>>> salad, naturally dill pickles, and we love dill bread. first need to
>>> make a dill dough... I've made a dill dough pizza. it's very good. We
>>> always have dried dillweed on hand, and I grow dill during summer. We
>>> sometimes have a green salad dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, s n'
>>> p, and dill. We like fresh garden tomatoes with fresh dill. Meat
>>> loaf is excellent with a Swedish dill sauce.

>>I'm not a fan of cucumber salad, but it's edible with a sour cream
>>dressing
>>with dill.

>I think it's an English thing. Who else would think of this wild idea?
>
>====
>
> LOL true! I haven't had that since I was a child)

Lol. I never heard of it before I moved to Australia and I'm sure they
got it from you (you plural)
====

Undoubtedly) My mother used to make it to serve with salad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> my preferred tartar sauce:
>
> https://www.hizzoners.com/index.php/...8-tartar-sauce

sounds ok to me, but i have to skip the cayenne since
this is Mom food too. my own fish sticks i use hot sauce
on if i want some zip to them.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> Lol. I never heard of it before I moved to Australia and I'm sure they
> got it from you (you plural)

we've been eating cucumber salads or marinades of
all sorts of kinds since i was a kid and we're in the
mid-West of the USoA.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 09:57:50 -0400, songbird >
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> Lol. I never heard of it before I moved to Australia and I'm sure they
>> got it from you (you plural)

> we've been eating cucumber salads or marinades of
>all sorts of kinds since i was a kid and we're in the
>mid-West of the USoA.

There you go. Another English (ex) colony.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ism sounds good too with the addition of the hot.
When I am in a bind, mayo and relish, whatever I have is good enough. It is not for presentation, just good enough for frozen fish sticks and such. When going all out I will buy a bottle of a good brand and doctor it with frilly parsley.