Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Default Happy CANADA DAY...Bonne fête du CANADA...!!!

Yup...cheers to a GREAT country...!!!

--
Best
Greg --->> even though it spawned the likes of "Dave Smith", lol...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 8:05:31 AM UTC-6, GM wrote:
> Yup...cheers to a GREAT country...!!!
>

> --
> Best
> Greg --->> even though it spawned the likes of "Dave Smith", lol...

Never mind the "Bonne fête du CANADA" bullshit and have a great DOMINION DAY
which we knew it as before those !@#$% Liberals changed it to please the
French speakers.
=====
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Roy wrote:

> On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 8:05:31 AM UTC-6, GM wrote:
> > Yup...cheers to a GREAT country...!!!
> >

> > --
> > Best
> > Greg --->> even though it spawned the likes of "Dave Smith", lol...

> Never mind the "Bonne fête du CANADA" bullshit and have a great DOMINION DAY
> which we knew it as before those !@#$% Liberals changed it to please the
> French speakers.

Lol...!!!

I have to say that my only Canadian experience was visiting Expo '67 when I was a kid, SO many of the frogs were RUDE and HOSTILE when we'd stop in a small Quebec town and ask directions, etc....they simply oozed contempt for English speakers...

Must have been a bit akin to how blacks might have been treated traveling throughout the pre - Civil Rights era US...

The only "ruder" travel experience I've had besides that Canadian trip was when an officious East German in an adjacent seat on a 1978 Prague - East Berlin plane trip asked me, "OH, are you Canadian?", to which I replied, "No, I'm American"...he visibly recoiled and prolly would have moved seat had the plane not been full, lol...

--
Best
Greg

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 11:12:25 -0700 (PDT), GM
> wrote:

>I have to say that my only Canadian experience was visiting Expo '67 when I was a kid, SO many of the frogs were RUDE and HOSTILE when we'd stop in a small Quebec town and ask directions, etc....they simply oozed contempt for English speakers...
>
>Must have been a bit akin to how blacks might have been treated traveling throughout the pre - Civil Rights era US...
>
>The only "ruder" travel experience I've had besides that Canadian trip was when an officious East German in an adjacent seat on a 1978 Prague - East Berlin plane trip asked me, "OH, are you Canadian?", to which I replied, "No, I'm American"...he visibly recoiled and prolly would have moved seat had the plane not been full, lol...
>
>--
>Best
>Greg

Correct - we arrived by Cunard during Expo 67, we disembarked in
Montreal but landed for a few hours first in Quebec City. My kids
were little and we told them in a tourist shop they could spend $3
each on a souvenir. My son wanted a little desk flag and asked the
owner how much it was and the man pretended not to understand English.
He was just 5 at the time and it annoyed me, so I took his hand and
said 'come on all of you, the man here doesn't speak English so we'll
go to one of the many other stores' could see by his face he knew damn
well what I said and I turned back from the door and told him
something he could do that was very rude, in French Kids didn't
know what I was saying.

They were no better even a few years later but I think they have
learned now that it doesn't pay to aggravate tourists, OTOH I hear the
Floridians don't like snow birds from Quebec. So who knows.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Jul 2019 15:44:52 -0300, wrote:

>On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 11:12:25 -0700 (PDT), GM
> wrote:
>

>>I have to say that my only Canadian experience was visiting Expo '67 when I was a kid, SO many of the frogs were RUDE and HOSTILE when we'd stop in a small Quebec town and ask directions, etc....they simply oozed contempt for English speakers...
>>
>>Must have been a bit akin to how blacks might have been treated traveling throughout the pre - Civil Rights era US...
>>
>>The only "ruder" travel experience I've had besides that Canadian trip was when an officious East German in an adjacent seat on a 1978 Prague - East Berlin plane trip asked me, "OH, are you Canadian?", to which I replied, "No, I'm American"...he visibly recoiled and prolly would have moved seat had the plane not been full, lol...
>>
>>--
>>Best
>>Greg

>Correct - we arrived by Cunard during Expo 67, we disembarked in
>Montreal but landed for a few hours first in Quebec City. My kids
>were little and we told them in a tourist shop they could spend $3
>each on a souvenir. My son wanted a little desk flag and asked the
>owner how much it was and the man pretended not to understand English.
>He was just 5 at the time and it annoyed me, so I took his hand and
>said 'come on all of you, the man here doesn't speak English so we'll
>go to one of the many other stores' could see by his face he knew damn
>well what I said and I turned back from the door and told him
>something he could do that was very rude, in French Kids didn't
>know what I was saying.

Let me guess... you told him in Français to shove all his flags up his
derriere... sideways and hang em from a rusty nail! (Brooklynese.)

>They were no better even a few years later but I think they have
>learned now that it doesn't pay to aggravate tourists, OTOH I hear the
>Floridians don't like snow birds from Quebec. So who knows.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Happy CANADA DAY...Bonne fete du CANADA...!!!

On Mon, 01 Jul 2019 15:44:52 -0300, wrote:

>On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 11:12:25 -0700 (PDT), GM
> wrote:
>

>>I have to say that my only Canadian experience was visiting Expo '67 when I was a kid, SO many of the frogs were RUDE and HOSTILE when we'd stop in a small Quebec town and ask directions, etc....they simply oozed contempt for English speakers...
>>
>>Must have been a bit akin to how blacks might have been treated traveling throughout the pre - Civil Rights era US...
>>
>>The only "ruder" travel experience I've had besides that Canadian trip was when an officious East German in an adjacent seat on a 1978 Prague - East Berlin plane trip asked me, "OH, are you Canadian?", to which I replied, "No, I'm American"...he visibly recoiled and prolly would have moved seat had the plane not been full, lol...
>>
>>--
>>Best
>>Greg

>Correct - we arrived by Cunard during Expo 67, we disembarked in
>Montreal but landed for a few hours first in Quebec City. My kids
>were little and we told them in a tourist shop they could spend $3
>each on a souvenir. My son wanted a little desk flag and asked the
>owner how much it was and the man pretended not to understand English.
>He was just 5 at the time and it annoyed me, so I took his hand and
>said 'come on all of you, the man here doesn't speak English so we'll
>go to one of the many other stores' could see by his face he knew damn
>well what I said and I turned back from the door and told him
>something he could do that was very rude, in French Kids didn't
>know what I was saying.

It's hard not to feel superior when you speak such a great language.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> Correct - we arrived by Cunard during Expo 67, we disembarked in
>> Montreal but landed for a few hours first in Quebec City. My kids
>> were little and we told them in a tourist shop they could spend $3
>> each on a souvenir. My son wanted a little desk flag and asked the
>> owner how much it was and the man pretended not to understand English.
>> He was just 5 at the time and it annoyed me, so I took his hand and
>> said 'come on all of you, the man here doesn't speak English so we'll
>> go to one of the many other stores' could see by his face he knew damn
>> well what I said and I turned back from the door and told him
>> something he could do that was very rude, in French Kids didn't
>> know what I was saying.

> Let me guess... you told him in Français to shove all his flags up his
> derriere... sideways and hang em from a rusty nail! (Brooklynese.)

I have been to Quebec a few times. My son lived in Montreal for 10
years. I speak enough French to get by and when I am in Quebec I make an
effort so speak French. They usually answer in English, or at least slow
down their French for me. I can't say that I was ever treated rudely in
Quebec.

>> They were no better even a few years later but I think they have
>> learned now that it doesn't pay to aggravate tourists, OTOH I hear the
>> Floridians don't like snow birds from Quebec. So who knows.

Quebecers have a well deserved bad name and not just among Anglos. Cheap
Bob was born in Quebec and lived there until he was about 8 and he hates
them. A co-worker, our officially designated bilingual officer, hated
them. My good buddy, Pierre, born and raised in Baie Comeau, lived there
until he was 10, prefers to live in Anglo Ontario and considers Quebec
to be inherently corrupt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Jul 2019 09:16:55 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Mon, 01 Jul 2019 15:44:52 -0300, wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 11:12:25 -0700 (PDT), GM
> wrote:
>>

>>>I have to say that my only Canadian experience was visiting Expo '67 when I was a kid, SO many of the frogs were RUDE and HOSTILE when we'd stop in a small Quebec town and ask directions, etc....they simply oozed contempt for English speakers...
>>>
>>>Must have been a bit akin to how blacks might have been treated traveling throughout the pre - Civil Rights era US...
>>>
>>>The only "ruder" travel experience I've had besides that Canadian trip was when an officious East German in an adjacent seat on a 1978 Prague - East Berlin plane trip asked me, "OH, are you Canadian?", to which I replied, "No, I'm American"...he visibly recoiled and prolly would have moved seat had the plane not been full, lol...
>>>
>>>--
>>>Best
>>>Greg

>>Correct - we arrived by Cunard during Expo 67, we disembarked in
>>Montreal but landed for a few hours first in Quebec City. My kids
>>were little and we told them in a tourist shop they could spend $3
>>each on a souvenir. My son wanted a little desk flag and asked the
>>owner how much it was and the man pretended not to understand English.
>>He was just 5 at the time and it annoyed me, so I took his hand and
>>said 'come on all of you, the man here doesn't speak English so we'll
>>go to one of the many other stores' could see by his face he knew damn
>>well what I said and I turned back from the door and told him
>>something he could do that was very rude, in French Kids didn't
>>know what I was saying.

>It's hard not to feel superior when you speak such a great language.

That's right. I worked for a commercial photographer and one day the
girl in the store came and asked me to help her, a woman from PQ who
didn't speak English. So I go out and help her select the pic she
wants etc and as she is leaving, she turns and says to me, 'You speak
terrible French' so I said to her 'No, I speak real Parisian French,
you speak some sort of Patois' - she was fit to be tied
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 19:32:42 -0400, Dave Smith

wrote:

>>> Correct - we arrived by Cunard during Expo 67, we disembarked in
>>> Montreal but landed for a few hours first in Quebec City. My kids
>>> were little and we told them in a tourist shop they could spend $3
>>> each on a souvenir. My son wanted a little desk flag and asked the
>>> owner how much it was and the man pretended not to understand English.
>>> He was just 5 at the time and it annoyed me, so I took his hand and
>>> said 'come on all of you, the man here doesn't speak English so we'll
>>> go to one of the many other stores' could see by his face he knew damn
>>> well what I said and I turned back from the door and told him
>>> something he could do that was very rude, in French Kids didn't
>>> know what I was saying.

>> Let me guess... you told him in Français to shove all his flags up his
>> derriere... sideways and hang em from a rusty nail! (Brooklynese.)

>I have been to Quebec a few times. My son lived in Montreal for 10
>years. I speak enough French to get by and when I am in Quebec I make an
>effort so speak French. They usually answer in English, or at least slow
>down their French for me. I can't say that I was ever treated rudely in
>Quebec.
>

>>> They were no better even a few years later but I think they have
>>> learned now that it doesn't pay to aggravate tourists, OTOH I hear the
>>> Floridians don't like snow birds from Quebec. So who knows.

>Quebecers have a well deserved bad name and not just among Anglos. Cheap
>Bob was born in Quebec and lived there until he was about 8 and he hates
>them. A co-worker, our officially designated bilingual officer, hated
>them. My good buddy, Pierre, born and raised in Baie Comeau, lived there
>until he was 10, prefers to live in Anglo Ontario and considers Quebec
>to be inherently corrupt.

In the mid-80s I drove my uncle and aunt up for a trip - there were
several occasions that people were senselessly rude to us. I do think
it is getting less now though as the old hard core are dying off, the
young are not into the same separation mentality.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>Correct - we arrived by Cunard during Expo 67, we disembarked in
>>>Montreal but landed for a few hours first in Quebec City. My kids
>>>were little and we told them in a tourist shop they could spend $3
>>>each on a souvenir. My son wanted a little desk flag and asked the
>>>owner how much it was and the man pretended not to understand English.
>>>He was just 5 at the time and it annoyed me, so I took his hand and
>>>said 'come on all of you, the man here doesn't speak English so we'll
>>>go to one of the many other stores' could see by his face he knew damn
>>>well what I said and I turned back from the door and told him
>>>something he could do that was very rude, in French Kids didn't
>>>know what I was saying.

>>It's hard not to feel superior when you speak such a great language.

>That's right. I worked for a commercial photographer and one day the
>girl in the store came and asked me to help her, a woman from PQ who
>didn't speak English. So I go out and help her select the pic she
>wants etc and as she is leaving, she turns and says to me, 'You speak
>terrible French' so I said to her 'No, I speak real Parisian French,
>you speak some sort of Patois' - she was fit to be tied

But do you really speak French? Something tells me you don't.

I can imagine Québécois getting ****ed off being surrounded by
loudmouthed, entitled English speaking North Americans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Let me guess... you told him in Français to shove all his flags up his
>>> derriere... sideways and hang em from a rusty nail! (Brooklynese.)

>>I have been to Quebec a few times. My son lived in Montreal for 10
>>years. I speak enough French to get by and when I am in Quebec I make an
>>effort so speak French. They usually answer in English, or at least slow
>>down their French for me. I can't say that I was ever treated rudely in
>>Quebec.

>>Quebecers have a well deserved bad name and not just among Anglos. Cheap
>>Bob was born in Quebec and lived there until he was about 8 and he hates
>>them. A co-worker, our officially designated bilingual officer, hated
>>them. My good buddy, Pierre, born and raised in Baie Comeau, lived there
>>until he was 10, prefers to live in Anglo Ontario and considers Quebec
>>to be inherently corrupt.

>In the mid-80s I drove my uncle and aunt up for a trip - there were
>several occasions that people were senselessly rude to us. I do think
>it is getting less now though as the old hard core are dying off, the
>young are not into the same separation mentality.

If you spoke French to them -not that you're able to- they'd be a lot
friendlier. People also always complain about the French being rude. I
never had many problems with rude French people. Not more than
anywhere else. Although I must say that Australians are generally the
friendliest I've seen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-07-01 8:05 p.m., wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 19:32:42 -0400, Dave Smith

>> Quebecers have a well deserved bad name and not just among Anglos. Cheap
>> Bob was born in Quebec and lived there until he was about 8 and he hates
>> them. A co-worker, our officially designated bilingual officer, hated
>> them. My good buddy, Pierre, born and raised in Baie Comeau, lived there
>> until he was 10, prefers to live in Anglo Ontario and considers Quebec
>> to be inherently corrupt.

> In the mid-80s I drove my uncle and aunt up for a trip - there were
> several occasions that people were senselessly rude to us. I do think
> it is getting less now though as the old hard core are dying off, the
> young are not into the same separation mentality.

Not entirely. I was talking to the son in law of the people who used to
live behind us. He told me about heading out to Gaspe on a summer day
and driving with the windows down, and some guy passed him and yelled at
him to go back home. Mathieu told me, in his French Canadian accent,
that he thought to himself he was going home. He was raised in the Gaspe.

FWIW... when my son was living in Montreal he had a friend who was
living with a French Canadian girl. By coincidence. Her brother,
Mathieu, was married to the girl who lived behind us, and her sister
used to tutor my son in French. Their mother was from Magog, and was a
French teacher here in Niagara.

but I am going home

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 7:18:31 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> My good friend was born and raised in Baie Comeau, and moved here when
> he was 10. I met him when we were 16 and, even though he had a French
> name, I had no idea that his first language was French. He became a
> pilot and his first job was with a regional airline back in Baie
> Comeau. His wife was looking forward to the French immersion and
> leaning French. He told her not to speak French there, that it is a
> horrible version of French.

I've read a time or two that the Spanish think the Mexicans speak a horrible
version of Spanish. But I have no idea as I speak neither language.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>I have been to Quebec a few times. My son lived in Montreal for 10
>>>years. I speak enough French to get by and when I am in Quebec I make an
>>>effort so speak French. They usually answer in English, or at least slow
>>>down their French for me. I can't say that I was ever treated rudely in
>>>Quebec.

>>>Quebecers have a well deserved bad name and not just among Anglos. Cheap
>>>Bob was born in Quebec and lived there until he was about 8 and he hates
>>>them. A co-worker, our officially designated bilingual officer, hated
>>>them. My good buddy, Pierre, born and raised in Baie Comeau, lived there
>>>until he was 10, prefers to live in Anglo Ontario and considers Quebec
>>>to be inherently corrupt.

>>In the mid-80s I drove my uncle and aunt up for a trip - there were
>>several occasions that people were senselessly rude to us. I do think
>>it is getting less now though as the old hard core are dying off, the
>>young are not into the same separation mentality.

>If you spoke French to them -not that you're able to- they'd be a lot
>friendlier. People also always complain about the French being rude. I
>never had many problems with rude French people. Not more than
>anywhere else. Although I must say that Australians are generally the
>friendliest I've seen.

Yes, my time at the Sorbonne was really difficult studying in French
although I couldn't speak it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>In the mid-80s I drove my uncle and aunt up for a trip - there were
>>>several occasions that people were senselessly rude to us. I do think
>>>it is getting less now though as the old hard core are dying off, the
>>>young are not into the same separation mentality.

>>If you spoke French to them -not that you're able to- they'd be a lot
>>friendlier. People also always complain about the French being rude. I
>>never had many problems with rude French people. Not more than
>>anywhere else. Although I must say that Australians are generally the
>>friendliest I've seen.

>Yes, my time at the Sorbonne was really difficult studying in French
>although I couldn't speak it.

But people do many things at the Sorbonne besides studying there
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 10:35:08 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 10:04:12 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

> > > I think most tourist town locals bitch and whine about the
> > > tourists. They do here but I disagree. I get down there in the
> > > summer and mingle with tourists. I've met so many cool people
> > > from eastern US, canada and even from Europe.
> > >

> > Niagara on the Lake is like that. The locals hate the tourists. They
> > like living in a down with lots of nice shops and restaurants and
> > theatre, that are supported by the tourists. They like the jobs that
> > exist because of the tourists. They like all the money that comes into
> > the town because of the tourists. They just hate the tourists themselves.

> Like a college town. Hate the students. Love their money.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I live next to a University town. University of Waterloo, and Wilfred Laurier University. Man we have many students here. And once a year they sure like to celebrate. St. Patrick's Day.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitch...otos-1.5060188

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Bruce
> wrote:

> According to that logic, North American English is a horrible version
> of real English. A colonial pigeon accent if you wish.

Meh...I'm bored, so I thought I'd pick on you. You're welcome!
A pigeon is a bird. You were grasping for "pidgin". Close though! Let's
call them homophones. How's your accent coming along? Would I be able
to understand you in a conversation?

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Jul 2019 00:27:12 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>In article >, Bruce
> wrote:
>
>> According to that logic, North American English is a horrible version
>> of real English. A colonial pigeon accent if you wish.

>Meh...I'm bored, so I thought I'd pick on you. You're welcome!
>A pigeon is a bird. You were grasping for "pidgin". Close though! Let's
>call them homophones.

You're right, of course.

>How's your accent coming along? Would I be able
>to understand you in a conversation?

Australians understand me. I think you would too

Mind you, I'm not calling American English a colonial pigeon accent. I
was just following Lucretia's reasoning about Canadian French.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Jul 2019 00:27:12 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>In article >, Bruce
> wrote:
>
>> According to that logic, North American English is a horrible version
>> of real English. A colonial pigeon accent if you wish.

>Meh...I'm bored, so I thought I'd pick on you. You're welcome!
>A pigeon is a bird. You were grasping for "pidgin". Close though! Let's
>call them homophones. How's your accent coming along? Would I be able
>to understand you in a conversation?
>
>leo

We used to tease our Aussie cousins that they were diggers that washed
their fices in bisons.