Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Just Mayo

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 2:00:06 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 7:21:53 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>>> On Sat, 29 Jun 2019 04:36:34 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

>>> They're not very popular... and that 2.1 % includes golf carts.

>> Okay, so they're not popular. That's not going to change the future. The current range of electric vehicles and availability still kinda sucks. That's not going to change the future either.
>>
>> https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/e...hevy-tesla-vw/

> My point was that you were banging on about electric cars 10 years ago
> and they still have only 2.1% market share.
>
> I won't get one until it can support AWD so I can drive in snow.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Hell I thought by now, we'd be whizzing around in spaceship cars
just like dsi1 and george jetson.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 3:19:06 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 3:07:13 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> > > My point was that you were banging on about electric cars 10 years ago
> > > and they still have only 2.1% market share.
> > >
> > > I won't get one until it can support AWD so I can drive in snow.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > What you should have noticed is that things are changing in your hometown.
> >
> > https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKBN1F30YZ

> I wish them well. I won't buy an American car, and I have no plans to
> replace either of my Toyotas.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I've purchased a Toyota and a Honda. The Toyota was great and so was my Honda.
The Toyota finally gave up after 10 years. It developed engine problems after having the head machined twice. Couldn't machine it again. The engine was small, and I sometimes gave it hell. I really ran it hard coming back from the Gaspe'. 130 to 140 km.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 3:26:38 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 8:31:40 AM UTC-10, GM wrote:
>

> > Outside of dense urban areas, the future for widespread use of electric vehicles is about as bright as the chance that we'll have flying cars, use monorails, or taking vacations on Mars...
> >
> > Electric vehicles - with a few exceptions, I see many Prius cabs, frex - in the USA are about as viable an option as "high - speed rail" or "light rail", e.g. not much chance at all of widespread consumer acceptance soon....so a boondoggle IMNSHO...
> >
> > --
> > Best
> > Greg

> Monorails and vacations on Mars - that's just plain silly. Flying cars? The answer to that is obvious. Just do the math. Autonomous control of vehicles + drone transportation + electric aircraft propulsion = flying cars.
>
> This rock is building a light rail system. It's the most expensive public works project in this state's history. My guess is that it's mostly a way for a few people to grab a lot of kala. My guess it'll be obsolete a couple of seconds after autonomous vehicles become the norm.
>
> Ain't she pretty though?
>
> https://skift.com/wp-content/uploads...122910248.jpeg

We just initiated a Light Rail System. What a joke. Now the bus lines are all f#@CKEd up. I've yet to take it. It's only about 2 weeks old.
https://www.grt.ca/en/ion-light-rail.aspx#
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

> We just initiated a Light Rail System. What a joke. Now the bus lines are all f#@CKEd up. I've yet to take it. It's only about 2 weeks old.
> https://www.grt.ca/en/ion-light-rail.aspx#

My "city" has been trying for light rail for many years but the
people here always vote it down. Now I hear that City Council is
planning to make it happen without asking citizens. They are free
with tax money...run out, just raise taxes.

Anyway, it not warranted here. There is no big city or downtown
area. My nearest bus stop is one mile away. Nearest light rail
stop would be even farther. Just a new toy for cities.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 3:43:50 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 8:37:56 AM UTC-10, GM wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > My point was that you were banging on about electric cars 10 years ago
> > > and they still have only 2.1% market share.
> > >
> > > I won't get one until it can support AWD so I can drive in snow.

> > There ya go...and with a battery that is not sapped by cold temps, too...
> >
> > --
> > Best
> > Greg

> 4 wheel drive? That's easy - just add a second motor! Easy as pie. No need for any power transfer box or long drive shaft. The flexibility of an electric drive-train is remarkable. A car can be pretty much anything you want it to be simply by changing the control box program. You can get a high torque monster or a high mileage grocery getter or anywhere in between by a software change. Heck, why not have both at the same time?

It also has to be heavy enough for traction and high enough off the ground
to clear the accumulated snow.

And have a damned good defogger for when the ambient temperature is colder
than your freezer.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 30, 2019 at 6:28:02 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> A Moose in Love wrote:
> >
> > We just initiated a Light Rail System. What a joke. Now the bus lines are all f#@CKEd up. I've yet to take it. It's only about 2 weeks old.
> > https://www.grt.ca/en/ion-light-rail.aspx#

> My "city" has been trying for light rail for many years but the
> people here always vote it down. Now I hear that City Council is
> planning to make it happen without asking citizens. They are free
> with tax money...run out, just raise taxes.
>
> Anyway, it not warranted here. There is no big city or downtown
> area. My nearest bus stop is one mile away. Nearest light rail
> stop would be even farther. Just a new toy for cities.

My city, named after the esteemed Lord Kitchener, is not big. Population 242K.
At one time, we were called Ebytown, then Sandhills, then Berlin, then finally in 1916 Kitchener. Kitchener liked his Boers.
Not that the Boers were not criminal in their treatment of non-whites.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...ntration_camps
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Gary wrote:

> A Moose in Love wrote:
> >
> > We just initiated a Light Rail System. What a joke. Now the bus lines are all f#@CKEd up. I've yet to take it. It's only about 2 weeks old.
> > https://www.grt.ca/en/ion-light-rail.aspx#

> My "city" has been trying for light rail for many years but the
> people here always vote it down. Now I hear that City Council is
> planning to make it happen without asking citizens. They are free
> with tax money...run out, just raise taxes.
>
> Anyway, it not warranted here. There is no big city or downtown
> area. My nearest bus stop is one mile away. Nearest light rail
> stop would be even farther. Just a new toy for cities.

Exactly, Gary...light rail - along with high speed rail - is one of those "fun" things to believe in, but then so are unicorns, astrology and Bigfoot....

US public transit use is steadily declining, yet some still tout $$$ light rail as a panacea for urban transit. Buses are not "glamorous", but they are a much cheaper and more flexible way to meet immediate transit needs. Many articles on this, here is one:

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign...ing-everywhere

"Mass transit is collapsing everywhere

BY RANDAL OTOOLE, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR €” 05/13/18 01:16 PM EDT

Nationwide transit ridership in March 2018 was 5.9 percent below March 2017, according to the latest data published by the Federal Transit Administration. Following three years of steady declines, these numbers present a dire picture of the nations transit industry.

Ridership declined in all of the nations 38 largest urban areas (and the 39th, Providence, gained only 0.1 percent new riders). Transit systems in Austin, Boston, Charlotte, Cleveland, Miami, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, San Diego, and Tampa-St. Petersburg all suffered double-digit declines, with Austin losing 19.5 percent and Charlotte 15.4 percent despite being two of the fastest growing urban areas in the nation.

Data from 2017 showed that ridership in Seattle and Houston grew from 2016, providing hope to transit advocates that other regions could reverse ridership declines if they emulated the examples of those two cities. But transit systems in both Seattle and Houston lost riders in March 2017.

A recent article in Bloomberg claimed that the decline in ridership €œis confined to buses,€ implying that cities can reverse the decline by building expensive rail transit systems. But that wasnt even true when the article was written (it admitted that heavy-rail ridership was declining), and the March data show all major forms of transit are declining: buses, commuter rail, light rail, and heavy rail.

Cities that have spent billions of dollars on rail transit have not been immune from the decline. Charlotte won new rail riders by opening a new light-rail line in March, but it lost 2.5 bus riders for every rail rider gained.. Denver also lost about 2.5 bus riders for every new rail rider. Dallas, Los Angeles, Salt Lake, and several other regions lost both rail and bus riders.

Denver-area voters agreed in 2004 to spend billions building new rail transit lines, and the region has opened several lines since then. Yet by 2016 transit carried only about 10,000 more of the urban areas commuters to work than it did in 2000, while nearly 280,000 more commuters drove to work.

Transit apologists offer many excuses for ridership declines, such as low gas prices and crumbling infrastructure. But gas prices were 10 percent higher in March 2018 than March 2017 and ridership is declining even in areas with brand-new transit infrastructure.

The fundamental problem is that big-box transit €” moving people in 60-passenger buses, 450-passenger light-rail trains or 1,500-passenger heavy-rail or commuter-rail trains €” no longer works in American cities.. Such transit made sense a century ago when most jobs were in downtowns surrounded by dense residential areas. But today only New York City comes close to looking like that.

Modern urban areas have far more jobs scattered across the suburbs than concentrated in downtowns. Job location is only one of many factors people consider when deciding where to live. The result is jobs, residences, retail, schools, and other activity centers are widely dispersed.

The number of transit trips taken by the average urban resident declined from nearly 300 in 1918 to about 60 in 1964, when Congress began offering federal subsidies to transit. Since then, federal, state, and local governments have spent more than $1.1 trillion on transit subsidies, yet trips per urban resident have fallen to about 38 in 2017.

Heres a stark reality: according to table B08141 of the 2016 American Community Survey, just 4.3 percent of American workers live in households without cars €” and 58 percent of them dont rely on transit to get to work. Transit doesnt even work for people who dont have cars, much less is it able to compete for the business of most of those who do.

Some propose to redesign American cities to serve obsolete transit systems: forcing more jobs downtown, building high-density transit-oriented developments in transit corridors, and turning highway and street lanes into dedicated bus lanes. Yet huge changes in urban form are needed to get a small change in transit usage, and the benefits are trivial. Transit isnt particularly green, using more energy and producing more greenhouse gases, per passenger mile, than the average car.

Seattle has done the most to reshape itself into an early twentieth-century city. Draconian land-use policies and tax subsidies increased the citys population density by 25 percent since 2000 and increased the number of downtown jobs from 215,000 in 2010 to 281,000 in 2017. These policies came at a terrible price: housing is no longer affordable and traffic is practically gridlocked. The urban area gained 58,000 transit commuters since 2000, but it also gained 190,000 auto commuters.

It is time to stop thinking that transit is somehow morally superior to driving and that it deserves the $50 billion in subsidies that it receives each year. Ending the subsidies would lead to a variety of private transit alternatives where people will use them and allow cities to concentrate on relieving congestion and making roads safer and cleaner for everyone else..."

</>

Randal OToole (@antiplanner) is director of the Transportation Policy Center at the Independence Institute (@i2idotorg), a free market think tank in Denver, and a senior fellow with the Cato Institute (@CatoInstitute) in Washington, D.C. He is author of the forthcoming book, Romance of the Rails: Why the Passenger Trains We Love Are Not the Transportation We Need.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> A Moose in Love wrote:
> >
> > We just initiated a Light Rail System. What a joke. Now the bus
> > lines are all f#@CKEd up. I've yet to take it. It's only about 2
> > weeks old. https://www.grt.ca/en/ion-light-rail.aspx#

> My "city" has been trying for light rail for many years but the
> people here always vote it down. Now I hear that City Council is
> planning to make it happen without asking citizens. They are free
> with tax money...run out, just raise taxes.
>
> Anyway, it not warranted here. There is no big city or downtown
> area. My nearest bus stop is one mile away. Nearest light rail
> stop would be even farther. Just a new toy for cities.

The stupid people voted down the *FREE* system the government was going
to give us in Virginia Beach, and thought by doing so the money could
be diverted to drains. IE: get the money but spend it on other than
mass transit. DUMB people.

Sadly, they vote among us.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 30, 2019 at 3:23:07 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>
> > A Moose in Love wrote:
> > >
> > > We just initiated a Light Rail System. What a joke. Now the bus
> > > lines are all f#@CKEd up. I've yet to take it. It's only about 2
> > > weeks old. https://www.grt.ca/en/ion-light-rail.aspx#

> > My "city" has been trying for light rail for many years but the
> > people here always vote it down. Now I hear that City Council is
> > planning to make it happen without asking citizens. They are free
> > with tax money...run out, just raise taxes.
> >
> > Anyway, it not warranted here. There is no big city or downtown
> > area. My nearest bus stop is one mile away. Nearest light rail
> > stop would be even farther. Just a new toy for cities.

> The stupid people voted down the *FREE* system the government was going
> to give us in Virginia Beach, and thought by doing so the money could
> be diverted to drains. IE: get the money but spend it on other than
> mass transit. DUMB people.
>
> Sadly, they vote among us.

Where FREE = taxpayer-funded

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 9:36:18 PM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
> We just initiated a Light Rail System. What a joke. Now the bus lines are all f#@CKEd up. I've yet to take it. It's only about 2 weeks old.
> https://www.grt.ca/en/ion-light-rail.aspx#

Our light rail system is so expensive and infamous that everyone is going to want to ride the system at least once. Maybe only once. That might be a problem.

The last big project that nobody wanted was a third road out of my side of the island. It is kinda useful and one heck of a drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZOj3LMvu-0&t=61

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 30, 2019 at 4:18:28 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, June 30, 2019 at 3:23:07 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> > Gary wrote:

> > > My "city" has been trying for light rail for many years but the
> > > people here always vote it down. Now I hear that City Council is
> > > planning to make it happen without asking citizens. They are free
> > > with tax money...run out, just raise taxes.
> > >
> > > Anyway, it not warranted here. There is no big city or downtown
> > > area. My nearest bus stop is one mile away. Nearest light rail
> > > stop would be even farther. Just a new toy for cities.

> > The stupid people voted down the *FREE* system the government was going
> > to give us in Virginia Beach, and thought by doing so the money could
> > be diverted to drains. IE: get the money but spend it on other than
> > mass transit. DUMB people.
> >
> > Sadly, they vote among us.

> Where FREE = taxpayer-funded
>
> Cindy Hamilton

You've still got some Libertarian in you. I always say Free: At whose expense?
It's an Ayn Rand thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 30, 2019 at 5:58:46 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 9:36:18 PM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
> > We just initiated a Light Rail System. What a joke. Now the bus lines are all f#@CKEd up. I've yet to take it. It's only about 2 weeks old.
> > https://www.grt.ca/en/ion-light-rail.aspx#

> Our light rail system is so expensive and infamous that everyone is going to want to ride the system at least once. Maybe only once. That might be a problem.
>
> The last big project that nobody wanted was a third road out of my side of the island. It is kinda useful and one heck of a drive.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZOj3LMvu-0&t=61

It cost us a billion bucks CDN.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, June 30, 2019 at 3:23:07 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> > Gary wrote:

> > > My "city" has been trying for light rail for many years but the
> > > people here always vote it down. Now I hear that City Council is
> > > planning to make it happen without asking citizens. They are free
> > > with tax money...run out, just raise taxes.
> > >
> > > Anyway, it not warranted here. There is no big city or downtown
> > > area. My nearest bus stop is one mile away. Nearest light rail
> > > stop would be even farther. Just a new toy for cities.

> > The stupid people voted down the FREE system the government was
> > going to give us in Virginia Beach, and thought by doing so the
> > money could be diverted to drains. IE: get the money but spend it
> > on other than mass transit. DUMB people.
> >
> > Sadly, they vote among us.

> Where FREE = taxpayer-funded
>
> Cindy Hamilton

By mostly VB residents who already paid it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 30, 2019 at 5:58:46 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 9:36:18 PM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
> > We just initiated a Light Rail System. What a joke. Now the bus lines are all f#@CKEd up. I've yet to take it. It's only about 2 weeks old.
> > https://www.grt.ca/en/ion-light-rail.aspx#

> Our light rail system is so expensive and infamous that everyone is going to want to ride the system at least once. Maybe only once. That might be a problem.

Detroit's PeopleMover had the same thing. It didn't go anywhere useful,
and there were more tourists on it than anyone else.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> Gary wrote:
>
> > A Moose in Love wrote:
> > >
> > > We just initiated a Light Rail System. What a joke. Now the bus
> > > lines are all f#@CKEd up. I've yet to take it. It's only about 2
> > > weeks old. https://www.grt.ca/en/ion-light-rail.aspx#

> > My "city" has been trying for light rail for many years but the
> > people here always vote it down. Now I hear that City Council is
> > planning to make it happen without asking citizens. They are free
> > with tax money...run out, just raise taxes.
> >
> > Anyway, it not warranted here. There is no big city or downtown
> > area. My nearest bus stop is one mile away. Nearest light rail
> > stop would be even farther. Just a new toy for cities.

> The stupid people voted down the *FREE* system the government was going
> to give us in Virginia Beach, and thought by doing so the money could
> be diverted to drains. IE: get the money but spend it on other than
> mass transit. DUMB people.
>
> Sadly, they vote among us.

Sounds to me like you sadly voted to approve the light rail here.
You have lost face to me if that's correct.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/1/2019 5:55 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, June 30, 2019 at 5:58:46 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 9:36:18 PM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
>>> We just initiated a Light Rail System. What a joke. Now the bus lines are all f#@CKEd up. I've yet to take it. It's only about 2 weeks old.
>>> https://www.grt.ca/en/ion-light-rail.aspx#

>> Our light rail system is so expensive and infamous that everyone is going to want to ride the system at least once. Maybe only once. That might be a problem.

> Detroit's PeopleMover had the same thing. It didn't go anywhere useful,
> and there were more tourists on it than anyone else.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

When I lived in West TN, the city of Memphis put in a trolly downtown.
Nearest I can figure it just went up and down the Mississippi riverfront
but didn't actually go anywhere useful. I always made a point of living
just outside the city limits so I didn't wind up paying taxes for
follies like the trolly.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 8:56:04 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> On 7/1/2019 5:55 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Detroit's PeopleMover had the same thing. It didn't go anywhere useful,
> > and there were more tourists on it than anyone else.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> When I lived in West TN, the city of Memphis put in a trolly downtown.
> Nearest I can figure it just went up and down the Mississippi riverfront
> but didn't actually go anywhere useful. I always made a point of living
> just outside the city limits so I didn't wind up paying taxes for
> follies like the trolly.
>
> Jill

Two or three years ago our disgraced mayor moonbeam tried push through a bus
system that would run down the middle of the streets. There was a grant of
$80 million available to push this pie-in-the-sky fiasco through. But the
city council made a study of other cities where this transportation system
failed and axed her idea. And as we all know, these pet projects always run
triple or quadruple over the price that was settled on leaving the tax payer
to foot the bill for the next thousand years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-07-01 11:20 a.m., wrote:
> On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 8:56:04 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

>> When I lived in West TN, the city of Memphis put in a trolly
>> downtown. Nearest I can figure it just went up and down the
>> Mississippi riverfront but didn't actually go anywhere useful. I
>> always made a point of living just outside the city limits so I
>> didn't wind up paying taxes for follies like the trolly.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Two or three years ago our disgraced mayor moonbeam tried push
> through a bus system that would run down the middle of the streets.
> There was a grant of $80 million available to push this
> pie-in-the-sky fiasco through. But the city council made a study of
> other cities where this transportation system failed and axed her
> idea. And as we all know, these pet projects always run triple or
> quadruple over the price that was settled on leaving the tax payer to
> foot the bill for the next thousand years.

Our disgraced town council were all voted out in the municipal election
last year. One of their projects was a bus that runs around the town. It
has been running for about three years now and I see it frequently but I
have never seen any one getting on or off or waiting at the few stops
there are.

Town council was also on the hot seat for community centre that included
a double ice rink. It's nice, but a town of 15,000 does not need twin
rinks. When the centre opened they kept repeating their mantra about how
it was completed on time and under budget. I don't know how they
figured it was under budget. They had started off with an estimate of
$17 million and it ended up costing $36 million . Under budget???

Then there was the fiasco with the gala opening. Information was leaked
that they were spending close to $80,000 for the event. The crap hit the
fan and the information was removed from the town's web site and then
they tried to say that some of the sponsors had paid for the event. I
somehow managed to get an invitation to the Friday night VIP reception.
We got to hear the speeches and were told they would be repeated for the
public opening that was happening right after the champagne reception.
We moved out to one of the arenas where they had set up a huge stage,
heard all the speeches again and then were treated to an incredible
show. They had musicians, dancers, skaters, more music, ten acts
altogether. The only thing missing was the audience. They had not
budgeted money to advertise the event. There had been noticed about an
open house the next day, but no one other than the VIPs had been advised
about the gala show.

I think that was the last nail in the coffin for that council. The mayor
and wall the councilors were voted out.