Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight... garlic scapes

I never heard of these things until yesterday. A friend of mine from
pickleball is an organic garlic farmer and he gave me a bag of them. He
suggested that they are good sauteed in olive oil. I did them the way I
do asparagus. I cooked up some spaghetti and while it was cooking I
heated up some olive oil in a frying pan, added a pinch of hot pepper
flakes, some chopped red pepper and then chopped scapes. I added the
cooked pasta to the sauteed veggies.

It was darned good. Garlic scapes have a very short season, so if you
see them you should grab them while they are available.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 5:50:30 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> I never heard of these things until yesterday. A friend of mine from
> pickleball is an organic garlic farmer and he gave me a bag of them. He
> suggested that they are good sauteed in olive oil. I did them the way I
> do asparagus. I cooked up some spaghetti and while it was cooking I
> heated up some olive oil in a frying pan, added a pinch of hot pepper
> flakes, some chopped red pepper and then chopped scapes. I added the
> cooked pasta to the sauteed veggies.
>
> It was darned good. Garlic scapes have a very short season, so if you
> see them you should grab them while they are available.

Why are they called 'scapes'?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>I never heard of these things until yesterday. A friend of mine from
>pickleball is an organic garlic farmer and he gave me a bag of them. He
>suggested that they are good sauteed in olive oil. I did them the way I do
>asparagus. I cooked up some spaghetti and while it was cooking I heated up
>some olive oil in a frying pan, added a pinch of hot pepper flakes, some
>chopped red pepper and then chopped scapes. I added the cooked pasta to the
>sauteed veggies.
>
> It was darned good. Garlic scapes have a very short season, so if you see
> them you should grab them while they are available.

I've heard of them. Gardener wanted lentils and Pad Thai. Not sure what I'll
have. Don't have much of an appetite. Maybe some bean tacos. Winco had the
Taco Bell brand on sale for 68 cents. I can stuff them with small red beans
and cheese.
Sounds good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/26/2019 7:13 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> I never heard of these things until yesterday. A friend of mine from
>> pickleball is an organic garlic farmer and he gave me a bag of them.
>> He suggested that they are good sauteed in olive oil. I did them the
>> way I do asparagus. I cooked up some spaghettiÂ* and while it was
>> cooking I heated up some olive oil in a frying pan, added a pinch of
>> hot pepper flakes, some chopped red pepper and then chopped scapes. I
>> added the cooked pasta to the sauteed veggies.
>>
>> It was darned good.Â* Garlic scapes have a very short season, so if
>> you see them you should grab them while they are available.

> I've heard of them. Gardener wanted lentils and Pad Thai. Not sure
> what I'll have. Don't have much of an appetite. Maybe some bean tacos.
> Winco had the Taco Bell brand on sale for 68 cents. I can stuff them
> with small red beans and cheese.
> Sounds good!

Â* I'm having pork loin steak with a baked potato and some
southwestern-style (canned) pinto beans . Mrs. doesn't get home until 10
or so , so I'm on my own tonight . I could eat dark chocolate and
raisins if I wanted ... but that would ruin the taste of my Kentucky
Straight Sour Mash Bourbon Whiskey . <burp>

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 17:11:15 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 5:50:30 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I never heard of these things until yesterday. A friend of mine from
>> pickleball is an organic garlic farmer and he gave me a bag of them. He
>> suggested that they are good sauteed in olive oil. I did them the way I
>> do asparagus. I cooked up some spaghetti and while it was cooking I
>> heated up some olive oil in a frying pan, added a pinch of hot pepper
>> flakes, some chopped red pepper and then chopped scapes. I added the
>> cooked pasta to the sauteed veggies.
>>
>> It was darned good. Garlic scapes have a very short season, so if you
>> see them you should grab them while they are available.
>>

>Why are they called 'scapes'?

Indeed. Landscapes, cityscapes and scapegoats, but garlic scapes?
Maybe they're garlic shoots.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 5:50:30 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I never heard of these things until yesterday. A friend of mine from
>> pickleball is an organic garlic farmer and he gave me a bag of them. He
>> suggested that they are good sauteed in olive oil. I did them the way I
>> do asparagus. I cooked up some spaghetti and while it was cooking I
>> heated up some olive oil in a frying pan, added a pinch of hot pepper
>> flakes, some chopped red pepper and then chopped scapes. I added the
>> cooked pasta to the sauteed veggies.
>>
>> It was darned good. Garlic scapes have a very short season, so if you
>> see them you should grab them while they are available.
>>

> Why are they called 'scapes'?

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/scape

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 17:11:15 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 5:50:30 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> I never heard of these things until yesterday. A friend of mine from
>>> pickleball is an organic garlic farmer and he gave me a bag of them. He
>>> suggested that they are good sauteed in olive oil. I did them the way I
>>> do asparagus. I cooked up some spaghetti and while it was cooking I
>>> heated up some olive oil in a frying pan, added a pinch of hot pepper
>>> flakes, some chopped red pepper and then chopped scapes. I added the
>>> cooked pasta to the sauteed veggies.
>>>
>>> It was darned good. Garlic scapes have a very short season, so if you
>>> see them you should grab them while they are available.
>>>

>>Why are they called 'scapes'?

> Indeed. Landscapes, cityscapes and scapegoats, but garlic scapes?
> Maybe they're garlic shoots.

They are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 6:50:30 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> I never heard of these things until yesterday. A friend of mine from
> pickleball is an organic garlic farmer and he gave me a bag of them. He
> suggested that they are good sauteed in olive oil. I did them the way I
> do asparagus. I cooked up some spaghetti and while it was cooking I
> heated up some olive oil in a frying pan, added a pinch of hot pepper
> flakes, some chopped red pepper and then chopped scapes. I added the
> cooked pasta to the sauteed veggies.
>
> It was darned good. Garlic scapes have a very short season, so if you
> see them you should grab them while they are available.

I saw them, cut them off my garlic plants and threw them in the yard.
Then I ran over them with my lawn mower.

Perhaps next year I'll do it differently.

Did yours come with flower buds attached? If so, in what state of
development were they?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I never heard of these things until yesterday. A friend of mine from
> pickleball is an organic garlic farmer and he gave me a bag of them. He
> suggested that they are good sauteed in olive oil. I did them the way I
> do asparagus. I cooked up some spaghetti and while it was cooking I
> heated up some olive oil in a frying pan, added a pinch of hot pepper
> flakes, some chopped red pepper and then chopped scapes. I added the
> cooked pasta to the sauteed veggies.
>
> It was darned good. Garlic scapes have a very short season, so if you
> see them you should grab them while they are available.

they are quite easy to grow and harvest. along
with green garlic they are one of the things that
make gardening worth it.

mine are just now showing up on the stalks. i
have been leaving mine alone the past few years
because i need a supply of scapes to keep
giving away. people always seem to want garlic
for planting and this garlic is pretty strong
and has been in our area for quite a long time
so it survives our cold winters.

i used to grow several hundred garlic plants
a year, but downsized a few years ago so i'm now
only growing a few dozen.

the variety is being picked up by a farm a bit
south of us so they will be distributing it
eventually if it works out for them - i hope it
does as it is a good variety and nobody should
be without garlic.

in the middle of winter when things are finally
calming down i usually take whatever garlic is
starting to sprout that i want to keep for
cooking and grind it up, drench it with lemon
juice, pack it into small jars and freeze it.
this will keep for some time and makes a good
gift to people who like garlic and cooking. if
you don't like lemon or want variety you can use
any acidifier (lime, orange, vinegar, etc.) in
this.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> Did yours come with flower buds attached? If so, in what state of
> development were they?

before they get far along - while still tender.

once they start opening up and developing then
they can have harder woodier parts that aren't
going to get tender when cooked.

you can then take the bulbules and use them
just like you would use a garlic clove.

the garlic i grow gets bulbules as large as
many small cloves of garlic (small marble size)
and they are a good way to increase the stock
of planting if needed (i used a lot of them for
growing slender stalks to be used as green
garlic).

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2019 6:03 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 6:50:30 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>> I never heard of these things until yesterday. A friend of mine from
>> pickleball is an organic garlic farmer and he gave me a bag of them. He
>> suggested that they are good sauteed in olive oil. I did them the way I
>> do asparagus. I cooked up some spaghetti and while it was cooking I
>> heated up some olive oil in a frying pan, added a pinch of hot pepper
>> flakes, some chopped red pepper and then chopped scapes. I added the
>> cooked pasta to the sauteed veggies.
>>
>> It was darned good. Garlic scapes have a very short season, so if you
>> see them you should grab them while they are available.

> I saw them, cut them off my garlic plants and threw them in the yard.
> Then I ran over them with my lawn mower.

That made me laugh, Cindy!

Jill

> Perhaps next year I'll do it differently.
>
> Did yours come with flower buds attached? If so, in what state of
> development were they?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 27, 2019 at 11:34:36 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> On 6/27/2019 6:03 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > I saw them, cut them off my garlic plants and threw them in the yard.
> > Then I ran over them with my lawn mower.
> >

> That made me laugh, Cindy!
>
> Jill

She wanted to make sure they were really destroyed and dead!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 27, 2019 at 12:40:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Thursday, June 27, 2019 at 11:34:36 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > On 6/27/2019 6:03 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > >
> > > I saw them, cut them off my garlic plants and threw them in the yard.
> > > Then I ran over them with my lawn mower.
> > >

> > That made me laugh, Cindy!
> >
> > Jill
> >

> She wanted to make sure they were really destroyed and dead!

A night or two ago there was a rabbit munching in the area
where the chopped-up scapes ended up. I wonder what rabbits
use for breath mints.

Oh, wait. I've got some spearmint growing in a pot on the patio.
I'll have to check it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2019 12:46 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, June 27, 2019 at 12:40:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:

>>> That made me laugh, Cindy!
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> She wanted to make sure they were really destroyed and dead!

> A night or two ago there was a rabbit munching in the area
> where the chopped-up scapes ended up. I wonder what rabbits
> use for breath mints.
>
> Oh, wait. I've got some spearmint growing in a pot on the patio.
> I'll have to check it.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Rabbits with garlic breath, LOL. Hopefully they like spearmint.

Eating garlic scapes sounds a lot like an attempt at a trendy food
thing. Dave said his pickleball friend is "an organic garlic farmer".
Okaaay. I'm glad they tasted similar to asparagus, that's good. I
can't see garlic scapes really becoming a thing.

You could boost the sales image by not cutting and running over your
scapes with a lawnmower. If you do wind up trimming and cooking them,
please report back.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 09:46:33 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 27, 2019 at 12:40:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:

>> > That made me laugh, Cindy!
>> >
>> > Jill
>> >

>> She wanted to make sure they were really destroyed and dead!

>A night or two ago there was a rabbit munching in the area
>where the chopped-up scapes ended up. I wonder what rabbits
>use for breath mints.
>
>Oh, wait. I've got some spearmint growing in a pot on the patio.
>I'll have to check it.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Critters don't eat garlic, onions, or daffodils... they don't eat mint
either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2019 1:54 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-06-27 1:02 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> She wanted to make sure they were really destroyed and dead!
>>>

>> LOLÂ* She did say she'd maybe re-think it next time.Â* To me, garlic
>> scapes sounds like a way for "organic" farmers (Dave did say his
>> pickleball friend was an organic farmer) to sell what would normally
>> be considered trimmings.Â* It's great that they find a way to sell
>> those and know they can be used in recipes.Â* Garlic scapes are not
>> something I'd run into at any local market.Â* Sounds to me like
>> something "trendy".

> I am sure that anyone selling farm produce would want to market any part
> of a plant that he can profit on.Â* The scapes have to be removed so that
> the bulbs will produce more cloves. I had not heard of them before but I
> did a little research and there are recipes for them.Â* Trendy or not,
> you might want to check the price and see if they are worth trying. They
> were pretty darned good.

I appreciate the information. But I can tell you for sure I will not
see garlic scapes in the produce aisle or at farm stands. They'd be as
rare as fiddleheads down here.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> I am sure that anyone selling farm produce would want to market any part
> of a plant that he can profit on. The scapes have to be removed so that
> the bulbs will produce more cloves.

false on that last bit. it has a slight impact on the
size of cloves, but their being produced up top doesn't
stop anything from happening down below.

i wish my camera weren't broken this season but the
cloves i tend to get are pretty large because of starting
with the largest cloves for the previous fall's planting.

> I had not heard of them before but I
> did a little research and there are recipes for them. Trendy or not,
> you might want to check the price and see if they are worth trying.
> They were pretty darned good.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-27 2:31 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

> I appreciate the information.Â* But I can tell you for sure I will not
> see garlic scapes in the produce aisle or at farm stands.Â* They'd be as
> rare as fiddleheads down here.

This is the first time I ever heard of them. The guy usually gives us a
pint jar of garlic powder and a small bag of garlic. When we left the
other day and he said he had something for us I thought be meant the
same as usual. I don't remember ever seeing them in a store anywhere and
I had never heard of anyone cooking them. After trying them, I have to
wonder why.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 18:53:17 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I never heard of these things until yesterday. A friend of mine from
>pickleball is an organic garlic farmer and he gave me a bag of them. He
>suggested that they are good sauteed in olive oil. I did them the way I
>do asparagus. I cooked up some spaghetti and while it was cooking I
>heated up some olive oil in a frying pan, added a pinch of hot pepper
>flakes, some chopped red pepper and then chopped scapes. I added the
>cooked pasta to the sauteed veggies.
>
>It was darned good. Garlic scapes have a very short season, so if you
>see them you should grab them while they are available.

For many years we grew a lot of garlic, as many as 20 different
varieties in four to six 50 foot rows. Old age takes its toll and
we've cut back to only two rows this year.
However, after trying several recipes, including pickling with and
without dill, both my wife and I agree that the best use for garlic
scapes is in the compost pile.
http://i66.tinypic.com/o73xn6.jpg

Ross.