Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dill lovers

I happened to get a load of fresh dill, not seaded yet. I trimmed for 3 hours to freeze and use in my pork recipes. I use it in scram eggs and of course to make pickles. My question is how can i totally destem this stuff quicker?
I pull the dill off the stalks, i use scissors, i stare at it. One bunch is easy but a fifty gallon bag is trying me. This is top notch dill.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-26 6:10 p.m., Thomas wrote:
> I happened to get a load of fresh dill, not seaded yet. I trimmed for 3 hours to freeze and use in my pork recipes. I use it in scram eggs and of course to make pickles. My question is how can i totally destem this stuff quicker?
> I pull the dill off the stalks, i use scissors, i stare at it. One bunch is easy but a fifty gallon bag is trying me. This is top notch dill.

I think my drill drowned. I should get some more and transplant it
soon. I like to have it in the garden and put some on salmon while it is
grilling.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 15:10:51 -0700 (PDT), Thomas >
wrote:

>I happened to get a load of fresh dill, not seaded yet. I trimmed for 3 hours to freeze and use in my pork recipes. I use it in scram eggs and of course to make pickles. My question is how can i totally destem this stuff quicker?
>I pull the dill off the stalks, i use scissors, i stare at it. One bunch is easy but a fifty gallon bag is trying me. This is top notch dill.

I want to tell you a secret. Not many people know about this (I am
kidding of course) but it is still hush hush so dont tell a soul.

After you properly wash your dill, deseed it (save the seeds for
planting) and get ready to cut the stems just pause for a second and
think of how long it will take you to do all of that crap. Now just
look at the big stems the main branch.

Grab a solid area somewhere in the middle and just grab it loosely
with your other hand around the stem and slide your hand down to
remove the soft stems or "branches" from the main "trunk" now you can
actually do 3,4 maybe even 5 at a time. Just strip away the lower
half. Now turn it around and do the same for the top half. As you get
closer to the top they will tend to break off cause it gets smaller
and softer the farther up.
What you are left with is lots of dill "leaves" attached to the
"branches" and a few small stems or "trunks"
Now put that in a pile or a few smaller piles and take your chefs
knife and just chop the hell out of it. Chop Chop Chop until you have
just a big pile of dill bits.

Here is the thing. The dill "branches" contain just as much dill
flavor as the "leaves" the stems will contain a bit less bit that is
neither here nor there because you will have removed most of them.

Take your minced dill and put it in your air fryer to dry out at about
90 deg F and you will have dill all winter. It will be all nicely
minced and the perfect size for whatever use you may have of it. You
will never know what is a dill leaf and what is a dill branch. It will
increase your yield and although it may still take some time to
process it will be a good bit less than maybe the way you are doing
it.

I grow dill in my herb garden, I do not go through nearly as much as
you have I would say but I usually just go pick what I need at the
time. But the way that I explained it is exactly how I do it. I chop
the branches up right with the dill leaves and it works perfectly.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I happened to get a load of fresh dill, not seaded yet. I trimmed for 3 hours to freeze and use in my pork recipes. I use it in scram eggs and of course to make pickles. My question is how can i totally destem this stuff quicker?
>I pull the dill off the stalks, i use scissors, i stare at it. One bunch is easy but a fifty gallon bag is trying me. This is top notch dill.

I cut the woody bottom of the stems off. Rinse if you must. Take a
large piece of plastic wrap, lay the dill (folded in half) on the wrap
and roll it up in the plastic. Over wrap with aluminum foil. When
you want some dill, bring a package of dill to your cutting board,
open the package and mince off the amount that you want (frozen)
re-wrap and put the package back in the freezer. The dill keeps the
most pungency when handled like this.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thomas > wrote:
> I happened to get a load of fresh dill, not seaded yet. I trimmed for 3
> hours to freeze and use in my pork recipes. I use it in scram eggs and of
> course to make pickles. My question is how can i totally destem this stuff quicker?
> I pull the dill off the stalks, i use scissors, i stare at it. One bunch
> is easy but a fifty gallon bag is trying me. This is top notch dill.

Buy yourself an herb stripper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thomas wrote:
> I happened to get a load of fresh dill, not seaded yet. I trimmed for 3 hours to freeze and use in my pork recipes. I use it in scram eggs and of course to make pickles. My question is how can i totally destem this stuff quicker?
> I pull the dill off the stalks, i use scissors, i stare at it. One bunch is easy but a fifty gallon bag is trying me. This is top notch dill.

i love eating it fresh standing right in the garden.
including the flowers as they are just opening up. this
is one of the reasons to garden and growing dill is pretty
easy. based upon how many seeds will scatter and regrow
if the plants are left to go to seed you can have a ready
supply of seeds too.

as for your specific question. i've not done much with
dried dill, but if the leaves are clean already you could
probably dry it on the stems (lay it out flat on trays or
cardboard box tops frequently available for the taking at
many big box stores - don't use flats from the soap aisle)
and then put it in a clean lint-free towel or just use your
hands to crush it some and then what falls out would be
usable or could be processed a bit more.

we grow a lot of cucumbers and make a lot of pickles so
having fresh dill around for them is desired. i usually
eat a fair amount of dill when i'm making the pickles and
often have a stem for chomping on.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks rfc team. I mention to my wife i should save a few stalks to use as bloody mary straws. Push a skewer thru. She thinks not.

Dill pickles Nick Cramer Preserving 12 09-03-2013 10:18 PM
Using leaves of dill instead of "head" of dill Deidzoeb Preserving 2 30-08-2008 11:20 PM
Speaking of dill zxcvbob Preserving 2 28-06-2007 03:01 PM
Dill Dip Mr Libido Incognito General Cooking 0 21-05-2006 02:02 AM
Dill Pickles Alex Preserving 18 22-06-2004 05:43 PM