Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Freezing milk.

Reading another post about freezing milk I am now confused.as luck would have it I froze a half gallon on june 23. Today is june 24. The use by date is june 24, today. If I thaw it, is its new date tomorrow whenever that may be?
Never had milk sour on me but usage dropped due to a med issue. It might take several days to thaw it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 13:26:01 -0700 (PDT), Thomas >
wrote:

>Reading another post about freezing milk I am now confused.as luck would have it I froze a half gallon on june 23. Today is june 24. The use by date is june 24, today. If I thaw it, is its new date tomorrow whenever that may be?
>Never had milk sour on me but usage dropped due to a med issue. It might take several days to thaw it.

Use by dates for milk are out of whack. I sniff it to see if it
smells fine, only once did I pour it away and that was full cream
about two months past its date!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Thomas" > wrote in message
> Reading another post about freezing milk I am now confused.as luck would
> have it I froze a half gallon on june 23. Today is june 24. The use by
> date is june 24, today. If I thaw it, is its new date tomorrow whenever
> that may be?
> Never had milk sour on me but usage dropped due to a med issue. It might
> take several days to thaw it.

Frozen or not, milk is good for 7 days after you open it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Thomas" > wrote in message
>> Reading another post about freezing milk I am now confused.as luck
>> would have it I froze a half gallon on june 23. Today is june 24.
>> The use by date is june 24, today. If I thaw it, is its new date
>> tomorrow whenever that may be?
>> Never had milk sour on me but usage dropped due to a med issue. It
>> might take several days to thaw it.

> Frozen or not, milk is good for 7 days after you open it.

And then yoose toss it out yoose window?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 3:35:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 13:26:01 -0700 (PDT), Thomas >
> wrote:
>
> >Reading another post about freezing milk I am now confused.as luck would have it I froze a half gallon on june 23. Today is june 24. The use by date is june 24, today. If I thaw it, is its new date tomorrow whenever that may be?
> >Never had milk sour on me but usage dropped due to a med issue. It might take several days to thaw it.

> Use by dates for milk are out of whack. I sniff it to see if it
> smells fine, only once did I pour it away and that was full cream
> about two months past its date!

She nailed it pretty good. Milk will last many days past its' 'use by date'
especially if it's kept at the back of the refrigerator.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/24/2019 6:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Thomas" > wrote in message
>> Reading another post about freezing milk I am now confused.as luck
>> would have it I froze a half gallon on june 23. Today is june 24. The
>> use by date is june 24, today. If I thaw it, is its new date tomorrow
>> whenever that may be?
>> Never had milk sour on me but usage dropped due to a med issue. It
>> might take several days to thaw it.

> Frozen or not, milk is good for 7 days after you open it.

Â* Then Max and I have been drinking a lot of bad milk ! I go by the
use-by date stamped on the jug . Most of the time we drink it in 2 to 2
1/2 weeks from the date we open it , and I can tell when it's on the
verge of spoiling by the way it mixes into our coffee . It takes that
long to use a gallon since we use most of it in our coffee .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Reading another post about freezing milk I am now confused.as luck would have it I froze a half gallon on june 23. Today is june 24. The use by date is june 24, today. If I thaw it, is its new date tomorrow whenever that may be?
>Never had milk sour on me but usage dropped due to a med issue. It might take several days to thaw it.

I always go by taste and smell. Usually week to 10 days without any
change. I thaw the jugs in the kitchen sink by putting jug in slightly
warm water for a few hours. Half gallons about two hours. thaw is much
faster this way.
--
Mr.E
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr.E" wrote:

> I thaw the jugs in the kitchen sink by putting jug in slightly
> warm water for a few hours. Half gallons about two hours.

Ummm... bad idea. One would only do that once, then learn better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 Gary wrote:
>"Mr.E" wrote:
>>
>> I thaw the jugs in the kitchen sink by putting jug in slightly
>> warm water for a few hours. Half gallons about two hours.

>Ummm... bad idea. One would only do that once, then learn better.

That's a poor way to thaw any perishable unless the intent is to use
it all that day, greatly reduces its shelf life... best thawed in the
fridge.... don't really need to fully thaw milk. Thaw about half way,
shake and pour how much you want and place back in the fridge.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 22:22:38 -0500, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 6/24/2019 6:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Thomas" > wrote in message
>>> Reading another post about freezing milk I am now confused.as luck
>>> would have it I froze a half gallon on june 23. Today is june 24. The
>>> use by date is june 24, today. If I thaw it, is its new date tomorrow
>>> whenever that may be?
>>> Never had milk sour on me but usage dropped due to a med issue. It
>>> might take several days to thaw it.

>> Frozen or not, milk is good for 7 days after you open it.

> * Then Max and I have been drinking a lot of bad milk ! I go by the
>use-by date stamped on the jug . Most of the time we drink it in 2 to 2
>1/2 weeks from the date we open it , and I can tell when it's on the
>verge of spoiling by the way it mixes into our coffee . It takes that
>long to use a gallon since we use most of it in our coffee .

Fresh milk here doesn't have a "use by" date, it has a *sell by* date.
And then much depends on how the store stores milk... there are many
stores that leave dairy and other perishables in the aisle for
prolonged periods. Lots of stores have poor refrigeration, they don't
even have doors on their coolers. I've actually checked suspected
store's refrigeration with a thermometer. when their milk spoils
relatively rapidly I found their temps to be over 40ºF, I'll no longer
shop there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/25/2019 3:18 PM, wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 22:22:38 -0500, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:

>>> Frozen or not, milk is good for 7 days after you open it.

>> Â* Then Max and I have been drinking a lot of bad milk ! I go by the
>> use-by date stamped on the jug . Most of the time we drink it in 2 to 2
>> 1/2 weeks from the date we open it , and I can tell when it's on the
>> verge of spoiling by the way it mixes into our coffee . It takes that
>> long to use a gallon since we use most of it in our coffee .

> Fresh milk here doesn't have a "use by" date, it has a *sell by* date.
> And then much depends on how the store stores milk... there are many
> stores that leave dairy and other perishables in the aisle for
> prolonged periods. Lots of stores have poor refrigeration, they don't
> even have doors on their coolers. I've actually checked suspected
> store's refrigeration with a thermometer. when their milk spoils
> relatively rapidly I found their temps to be over 40ºF, I'll no longer
> shop there.

Â* The jug of milk in my refrigerator is clearly marked "best by June
80" . They might do it different where you live/shop .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 6/25/2019 3:18 PM, wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 22:22:38 -0500, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:

>>> *Â* Then Max and I have been drinking a lot of bad milk ! I go by
>>> the
>>> use-by date stamped on the jug . Most of the time we drink it in
>>> 2 to 2
>>> 1/2 weeks from the date we open it , and I can tell when it's on the
>>> verge of spoiling by the way it mixes into our coffee . It takes
>>> that
>>> long to use a gallon since we use most of it in our coffee .

>> Fresh milk here doesn't have a "use by" date, it has a *sell by*
>> date.
>> And then much depends on how the store stores milk... there are many
>> stores that leave dairy and other perishables in the aisle for
>> prolonged periods.* Lots of stores have poor refrigeration, they
>> don't
>> even have doors on their coolers.* I've actually checked suspected
>> store's refrigeration with a thermometer. when their milk spoils
>> relatively rapidly I found their temps to be over 40ºF, I'll no
>> longer
>> shop there.

> Â* The jug of milk in my refrigerator is clearly marked "best by
> June 80" . They might do it different where you live/shop .

Nope, you must be wrong. Popeye is always correct.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 25, 2019 at 5:41:26 AM UTC-5, Mr.E wrote:

> I always go by taste and smell. Usually week to 10 days without any
> change. I thaw the jugs in the kitchen sink by putting jug in slightly
> warm water for a few hours. Half gallons about two hours. thaw is much
> faster this way.
> --
> Mr.E

Terrible method in my opinion. Why not just take the milk out of the freezer
a few days before you anticipate you will need it and let it thaw naturally
in the refrigerator?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 10:26:04 AM UTC-10, Thomas wrote:
> Reading another post about freezing milk I am now confused.as luck would have it I froze a half gallon on june 23. Today is june 24. The use by date is june 24, today. If I thaw it, is its new date tomorrow whenever that may be?
> Never had milk sour on me but usage dropped due to a med issue. It might take several days to thaw it.

Forget about any dates that might be on the package. Rely on your sense of smell to tell you when your milk has expired. OTOH, sour milk would probably work swell when making biscuits or cornbread.

Near as I can tell, milk must be full of microorganisms when you get it from the store. That's why it doesn't last very long. OTOH, ultra-pasteurized milk must be pretty clean because that stuff will last forever. People say that they don't like the taste of UP milk but I can't tell the difference. OTOH, I'm not a real milk connoisseur like some of the people here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 10:26:04 AM UTC-10, Thomas wrote:
>> Reading another post about freezing milk I am now confused.as luck would have it I froze a half gallon on june 23. Today is june 24. The use by date is june 24, today. If I thaw it, is its new date tomorrow whenever that may be?
>> Never had milk sour on me but usage dropped due to a med issue. It might take several days to thaw it.

> Forget about any dates that might be on the package. Rely on your sense of smell to tell you when your milk has expired. OTOH, sour milk would probably work swell when making biscuits or cornbread.
>
> Near as I can tell, milk must be full of microorganisms when you get it from the store. That's why it doesn't last very long. OTOH, ultra-pasteurized milk must be pretty clean because that stuff will last forever. People say that they don't like the taste of UP milk but I can't tell the difference. OTOH, I'm not a real milk connoisseur like some of the people here.

Yoose drink milk? I though asians are lactose intolerant. Mostly the
honkeys drinks milk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 9:17:34 AM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 10:26:04 AM UTC-10, Thomas wrote:
> >> Reading another post about freezing milk I am now confused.as luck would have it I froze a half gallon on june 23. Today is june 24. The use by date is june 24, today. If I thaw it, is its new date tomorrow whenever that may be?
> >> Never had milk sour on me but usage dropped due to a med issue. It might take several days to thaw it.

> > Forget about any dates that might be on the package. Rely on your sense of smell to tell you when your milk has expired. OTOH, sour milk would probably work swell when making biscuits or cornbread.
> >
> > Near as I can tell, milk must be full of microorganisms when you get it from the store. That's why it doesn't last very long. OTOH, ultra-pasteurized milk must be pretty clean because that stuff will last forever. People say that they don't like the taste of UP milk but I can't tell the difference. OTOH, I'm not a real milk connoisseur like some of the people here.
> >

> Yoose drink milk? I though asians are lactose intolerant. Mostly the
> honkeys drinks milk.

This is an excellent question. However, I'm not going to address it because that would only encourage your dumb honky ass. Us commie gooks ain't stupid, ya know!

Freezing milk problems Pringles CheezUms General Cooking 16 09-07-2013 06:40 PM
Making Whole Milk from Skim Milk and Heavy Cream Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 23 03-03-2013 11:09 PM
Freezing milk Terry General Cooking 2 25-01-2007 12:55 PM
Freezing coconut milk... Sexual Harassment Panda Asian Cooking 1 05-10-2005 09:45 PM
freezing milk reltuc Preserving 3 21-12-2003 03:23 AM