Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bean cooking time

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
news
> On 2019-06-25 12:43 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>>> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 15:50:09 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> When I was a kid, we often had it with satay sauce.

>> Never had satay sauce.

> Try it. You won't like it.

I looked up the ingredients. Darned tooting I won't like it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 10:57:20 +0100, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 20:30 25 Jun 2019, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>

>> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Try it. You won't like it.

>> I looked up the ingredients. Darned tooting I won't like it!

>Satay is one of my favourite sauces. To each her own.

Same here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Pamela wrote:
> >Satay is one of my favourite sauces. To each her own.

> Same here.

I've never tried it but I looked it up and I will try.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pamela" > wrote in message
> On 20:30 25 Jun 2019, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>

>> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Try it. You won't like it.

>> I looked up the ingredients. Darned tooting I won't like it!

> Satay is one of my favourite sauces. To each her own.

I'm not big on sauces. Perhaps because I didn't grow up eating them. Dunno.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I'm not big on sauces. Perhaps because I didn't grow up eating them. Dunno.

A sauce is what defines a good chef in the culinary world. You
should investigate and try some or invent your own. Jill needs to
do that too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 7:17:13 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Pamela" > wrote in message
> > On 20:30 25 Jun 2019, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> >> I looked up the ingredients. Darned tooting I won't like it!

> > Satay is one of my favourite sauces. To each her own.

> I'm not big on sauces. Perhaps because I didn't grow up eating them. Dunno.

Good grief. If I only ate what I grew up on, I'd be eating
nothing but burgers or buttered macaroni.

Grow up.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My mom made macaroni and onions that was good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A tip I got years ago, from the Tightwad Gazette:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.food.cooking/beans$20lenona/rec.food.cooking/Q3kss-yk-1Q/oLZD3sgnNbMJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 09:40:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> A tip I got years ago, from the Tightwad Gazette:
>
>https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.food.cooking/beans$20lenona/rec.food.cooking/Q3kss-yk-1Q/oLZD3sgnNbMJ

That's a slew of ancient posts, from when Pistario was still
breathing. Lot's of that information is inaccurate/old wive's tales.
The worst thing to do when cooking dried beans is to use hard water
and/or salted water. The skin of dried beans operates exactly the
same as a reverse osmosis filter, salts clog bean skin pores which
prevents water from entering, therefore the interior of the beans
won't cook and the bean skins will eventually break open but will have
the texture of toenail clippings. Beans are seans afterall, one way
permeable covering is why seeds can germinate. It's sbest to cook
beans in porcelainized cookware or quality stainless steel, nev er in
cast iron, aluminum, or copper. Seasoned beans like boston baked can
take a long time to become tender, best cooked at relatively low
temperature but for several hours like over night, whether baked in
the oven or slow cooked on the stove top. Another hint is that dried
beans should never be boiled, use no higher heat than that which
produces a low simmer, small bubbles breaking the surface at a very
low rate. There really is no good way to cook dried beans quickly...
pressure cookers ruin the texture of dried beans; mushy insides and
tough skins.

Aboard ship I cooked at least a hundred pounds of dried beans every
day, some days enough to serve twice a day. Shipboard all potable
water was/is very soft as it's from the evaporated and condensed sea
water. We had to cook dried beans as there wasn't storage space
shipboard for canned beans. However canned beans are a far better way
to go for several reasons and at shore bases the US Navy uses canned
beans
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 2:15:58 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 09:40:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
> > A tip I got years ago, from the Tightwad Gazette:
> >
> >https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.food.cooking/beans$20lenona/rec.food.cooking/Q3kss-yk-1Q/oLZD3sgnNbMJ

> That's a slew of ancient posts, from when Pistario was still
> breathing. Lot's of that information is inaccurate/old wive's tales.
> The worst thing to do when cooking dried beans is to use hard water
> and/or salted water. The skin of dried beans operates exactly the
> same as a reverse osmosis filter, salts clog bean skin pores which
> prevents water from entering, therefore the interior of the beans
> won't cook and the bean skins will eventually break open but will have
> the texture of toenail clippings.

Yet experimentation by food scientists indicates otherwise.
Acid will make the skin tougher; salt just permeates to the interior
of the bean.

<https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/salt-beans-cooking-soaking-water-good-or-bad.html>

<https://www.thekitchn.com/think-salt-is-the-enemy-of-perfect-beans-think-again-196470>

<http://www.thejoykitchen.com/ingredients-techniques/cooking-dried-beans>

<http://beaninstitute.com/cooking-with-dry-beans-food-science-insights-and-strategies-from-dr-guy-crosby/>

<https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how-to-cook-dried-beans>

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 2:15:58 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 09:40:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>>
>>> A tip I got years ago, from the Tightwad Gazette:
>>>
>>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.food.cooking/beans$20lenona/rec.food.cooking/Q3kss-yk-1Q/oLZD3sgnNbMJ

>> That's a slew of ancient posts, from when Pistario was still
>> breathing. Lot's of that information is inaccurate/old wive's tales.
>> The worst thing to do when cooking dried beans is to use hard water
>> and/or salted water. The skin of dried beans operates exactly the
>> same as a reverse osmosis filter, salts clog bean skin pores which
>> prevents water from entering, therefore the interior of the beans
>> won't cook and the bean skins will eventually break open but will have
>> the texture of toenail clippings.

> Yet experimentation by food scientists indicates otherwise.
> Acid will make the skin tougher; salt just permeates to the interior
> of the bean.
>
> <https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/salt-beans-cooking-soaking-water-good-or-bad.html>
>
> <https://www.thekitchn.com/think-salt-is-the-enemy-of-perfect-beans-think-again-196470>
>
> <http://www.thejoykitchen.com/ingredients-techniques/cooking-dried-beans>
>
> <http://beaninstitute.com/cooking-with-dry-beans-food-science-insights-and-strategies-from-dr-guy-crosby/>
>
> <https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how-to-cook-dried-beans>
>

> Cindy Hamilton

If they contradict Popeye, they MUST be wrong.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 11:48:54 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 2:15:58 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 09:40:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>>
>> > A tip I got years ago, from the Tightwad Gazette:
>> >
>> >https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.food.cooking/beans$20lenona/rec.food.cooking/Q3kss-yk-1Q/oLZD3sgnNbMJ

>> That's a slew of ancient posts, from when Pistario was still
>> breathing. Lot's of that information is inaccurate/old wive's tales.
>> The worst thing to do when cooking dried beans is to use hard water
>> and/or salted water. The skin of dried beans operates exactly the
>> same as a reverse osmosis filter, salts clog bean skin pores which
>> prevents water from entering, therefore the interior of the beans
>> won't cook and the bean skins will eventually break open but will have
>> the texture of toenail clippings.

>Yet experimentation by food scientists indicates otherwise.
>Acid will make the skin tougher; salt just permeates to the interior
>of the bean.
>
><https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/salt-beans-cooking-soaking-water-good-or-bad.html>
>
><https://www.thekitchn.com/think-salt-is-the-enemy-of-perfect-beans-think-again-196470>
>
><http://www.thejoykitchen.com/ingredients-techniques/cooking-dried-beans>
>
><http://beaninstitute.com/cooking-with-dry-beans-food-science-insights-and-strategies-from-dr-guy-crosby/>
>
><https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how-to-cook-dried-beans>
>

>Cindy Hamilton

Bullshit, Navy beans rule, none of those sites ever cooked beans
unless they were jelly beans
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 4:07:32 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 11:48:54 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> That's a slew of ancient posts, from when Pistario was still
> >> breathing. Lot's of that information is inaccurate/old wive's tales.
> >> The worst thing to do when cooking dried beans is to use hard water
> >> and/or salted water. The skin of dried beans operates exactly the
> >> same as a reverse osmosis filter, salts clog bean skin pores which
> >> prevents water from entering, therefore the interior of the beans
> >> won't cook and the bean skins will eventually break open but will have
> >> the texture of toenail clippings.

> >Yet experimentation by food scientists indicates otherwise.
> >Acid will make the skin tougher; salt just permeates to the interior
> >of the bean.
> >
> ><https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/salt-beans-cooking-soaking-water-good-or-bad.html>
> >
> ><https://www.thekitchn.com/think-salt-is-the-enemy-of-perfect-beans-think-again-196470>
> >
> ><http://www.thejoykitchen.com/ingredients-techniques/cooking-dried-beans>
> >
> ><http://beaninstitute.com/cooking-with-dry-beans-food-science-insights-and-strategies-from-dr-guy-crosby/>
> >
> ><https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how-to-cook-dried-beans>
> >

> >Cindy Hamilton

> Bullshit, Navy beans rule, none of those sites ever cooked beans
> unless they were jelly beans

If you never cooked beans with salt, how do you know the effect?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 1:31:29 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> I know we had this discussion before. When I was a kid and young adult, food
> did not have an expiration date so there was no way to tell how old those
> dried beans were. I can remember cooking beans for 2-3 hours or more!
>
> But now? The cooking time keeps getting less and less. The last time I
> cooked black or kidney beans, I cooked checked them earlier than the
> suggested cook time on the package and they were overcooked.
>
> I just cooked small red beans. After an hour soak, they were done in 40
> minutes. I could smell that they were done so ran to check them. Maybe my
> beans are just super fresh!

Navy beans have more fiber than any other common beans have.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 4:07:32 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 11:48:54 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> Yet experimentation by food scientists indicates otherwise.
>>> Acid will make the skin tougher; salt just permeates to the interior
>>> of the bean.
>>>
>>> <https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/salt-beans-cooking-soaking-water-good-or-bad.html>
>>>
>>> <https://www.thekitchn.com/think-salt-is-the-enemy-of-perfect-beans-think-again-196470>
>>>
>>> <http://www.thejoykitchen.com/ingredients-techniques/cooking-dried-beans>
>>>
>>> <http://beaninstitute.com/cooking-with-dry-beans-food-science-insights-and-strategies-from-dr-guy-crosby/>
>>>
>>> <https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how-to-cook-dried-beans>
>>>

>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> Bullshit, Navy beans rule, none of those sites ever cooked beans
>> unless they were jelly beans

> If you never cooked beans with salt, how do you know the effect?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Do yoose dare imply that popeye just pulled that idea out of his
nautical ass?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 13:12:41 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 4:07:32 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 11:48:54 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >Yet experimentation by food scientists indicates otherwise.
>> >Acid will make the skin tougher; salt just permeates to the interior
>> >of the bean.
>> >
>> ><https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/salt-beans-cooking-soaking-water-good-or-bad.html>
>> >
>> ><https://www.thekitchn.com/think-salt-is-the-enemy-of-perfect-beans-think-again-196470>
>> >
>> ><http://www.thejoykitchen.com/ingredients-techniques/cooking-dried-beans>
>> >
>> ><http://beaninstitute.com/cooking-with-dry-beans-food-science-insights-and-strategies-from-dr-guy-crosby/>
>> >
>> ><https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how-to-cook-dried-beans>
>> >

>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> Bullshit, Navy beans rule, none of those sites ever cooked beans
>> unless they were jelly beans

>If you never cooked beans with salt, how do you know the effect?
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Where did I say I haven't cooked beans with salted water? I certainly
have not and learned not to do it. However the main reason why people
have a problenm with cooking dried beans is because they have hard
water... hasn't anything to do with altitude. Colorado has very hard
water... most western states have very hard water. When I lived in
LA the water was so hard it was difficult to bathe, even the best
shampoos didn't work well.... most people were too stupid/cheap to
have water softeners. I rented in LA and no landlord supplied
softened water.
Here we use our own well water but we have a state of the art water
softener. And I don t cook with tap water, I cook with
RO filtered water.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Bullshit, Navy beans rule, none of those sites ever cooked beans
>>> unless they were jelly beans

>>If you never cooked beans with salt, how do you know the effect?
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton

>Where did I say I haven't cooked beans with salted water? I certainly
>have not

Well, now you've said it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> If you never cooked beans with salt, how do you know the effect?
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> Where did I say I haven't cooked beans with salted water? I certainly
>> have not

> Well, now you've said it.

I think yoose can probly put lots of salt in, if'n yoose have state
of the art RO filtered water. ... and a basement.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I'm not big on sauces. Perhaps because I didn't grow up eating them.
>> Dunno.

> A sauce is what defines a good chef in the culinary world. You
> should investigate and try some or invent your own. Jill needs to
> do that too.

I pretty much eat whole foods. No need for sauces most of the time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Where did I say I haven't cooked beans with salted water? I certainly
>>> have not

>> Well, now you've said it.
>>

>I think yoose can probly put lots of salt in, if'n yoose have state
>of the art RO filtered water. ... and a basement.

I have neither. What a loser.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pamela" > wrote in message
> On 14:20 26 Jun 2019, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

>>> I'm not big on sauces. Perhaps because I didn't grow up eating them.
>>> Dunno.

>> Good grief. If I only ate what I grew up on, I'd be eating
>> nothing but burgers or buttered macaroni.
>>
>> Grow up.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Got to agree. Yet there is a point, in later life, when you don't feel
> like trying every new food, because so many are disappointing.
>
> I'm at that stage although my sister, who's about the same age, tries
> novel foods at every opportunity. Not me.
>
> I've worked out what I like and am tired of politely pretending something
> someone served me like chocolate chicken (or whatever) is scrumptious.
>
> As for satay, it's such a good sauce that to have missed it is an
> omission. Perhaps it's not easily found in America.

I try new things all the time but my preference is towards more whole simple
foods like salad and raw veggies. I was that way as a kid and still am
today.

One thing I can not eat is warm peanut butter. I had an incident as a kid
where we were at a neighbor's house. The parents were very strict. we were
in the bedroom playing a game on a little card table when the mom decided we
should eat lunch. It was bowls of chicken soup but she was making peanut
butter sandwiches to go with it. She was slapping the peanut butter on the
bread but she lost control of it and a big blob of peanut butter fell into
my soup. I must have cringed or something. I was only 4 or 5. She snapped at
me and told me that I had to eat it anyway. I tried. It gagged me. She
became furious and got my mom. She too was angry with me and took me home.

Later, as a kid and an adult, I tried eating peanut butter on toast. Another
thing I can not do. Peanut butter sandwich? Fine. But on toast, the warm
peanut butter will not go down. I gag on it.

We did go out for Chinese food quite a bit. My parents always ordered one of
those combination meals for the whole family. My brother and I both hated
the food. I would always try to eat a pork slice but did not like it. The
only thing I would eat was the rice. As an adult, I tried tomato beef and
like it but I don't eat the meat part. I'm not a big meat eater.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 12:27:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>One thing I can not eat is warm peanut butter. I had an incident as a kid
>where we were at a neighbor's house. The parents were very strict. we were
>in the bedroom playing a game on a little card table when the mom decided we
>should eat lunch. It was bowls of chicken soup but she was making peanut
>butter sandwiches to go with it. She was slapping the peanut butter on the
>bread but she lost control of it and a big blob of peanut butter fell into
>my soup. I must have cringed or something. I was only 4 or 5. She snapped at
>me and told me that I had to eat it anyway. I tried. It gagged me. She
>became furious and got my mom. She too was angry with me and took me home.

You sure did have strange neighbours.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-27 5:59 p.m., Doris Night wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 12:27:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> One thing I can not eat is warm peanut butter. I had an incident as a kid
>> where we were at a neighbor's house. The parents were very strict. we were
>> in the bedroom playing a game on a little card table when the mom decided we
>> should eat lunch. It was bowls of chicken soup but she was making peanut
>> butter sandwiches to go with it. She was slapping the peanut butter on the
>> bread but she lost control of it and a big blob of peanut butter fell into
>> my soup. I must have cringed or something. I was only 4 or 5. She snapped at
>> me and told me that I had to eat it anyway. I tried. It gagged me. She
>> became furious and got my mom. She too was angry with me and took me home.

> You sure did have strange neighbours.
>
> Doris

So did they!!!!!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doris Night wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 12:27:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> One thing I can not eat is warm peanut butter. I had an incident as a kid
>> where we were at a neighbor's house. The parents were very strict. we were
>> in the bedroom playing a game on a little card table when the mom decided we
>> should eat lunch. It was bowls of chicken soup but she was making peanut
>> butter sandwiches to go with it. She was slapping the peanut butter on the
>> bread but she lost control of it and a big blob of peanut butter fell into
>> my soup. I must have cringed or something. I was only 4 or 5. She snapped at
>> me and told me that I had to eat it anyway. I tried. It gagged me. She
>> became furious and got my mom. She too was angry with me and took me home.

> You sure did have strange neighbours.
>
> Doris

WTF? I can't believe they weren't all highly allergic to peanuts!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 12:27:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>One thing I can not eat is warm peanut butter. I had an incident as a kid
>>where we were at a neighbor's house. The parents were very strict. we were
>>in the bedroom playing a game on a little card table when the mom decided
>>we
>>should eat lunch. It was bowls of chicken soup but she was making peanut
>>butter sandwiches to go with it. She was slapping the peanut butter on the
>>bread but she lost control of it and a big blob of peanut butter fell into
>>my soup. I must have cringed or something. I was only 4 or 5. She snapped
>>at
>>me and told me that I had to eat it anyway. I tried. It gagged me. She
>>became furious and got my mom. She too was angry with me and took me home.

> You sure did have strange neighbours.

They were. Their house had a lot of rules relating to their religion, but I
don't know what religion that was. I invited the girl who was my age to my
birthday party. We saw the movie, Born Free and then back to my house. The
girl could only do the house part as she was not allowed to watch movies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> Later, as a kid and an adult, I tried eating peanut butter on toast. Another
> thing I can not do. Peanut butter sandwich? Fine. But on toast, the warm
> peanut butter will not go down. I gag on it.

Funny too as that's one of my favorite snacks.
Either peanut butter on a hot piece of multigrain toast.
Or peanut butter on hot white bread toast, it melts then
immediately slap on a thin slice of swiss cheese to soften.

Gary: YUM
Julie: GAG

;-D

And I'm only laughing at the difference, not your issue with
that. You hate it and I love it. We all have our preferences.

BTW, Happy Birthday to you on June 26. Hope it was a good one for
you. Did you do/eat anything special?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> Later, as a kid and an adult, I tried eating peanut butter on toast.
>> Another
>> thing I can not do. Peanut butter sandwich? Fine. But on toast, the warm
>> peanut butter will not go down. I gag on it.

> Funny too as that's one of my favorite snacks.
> Either peanut butter on a hot piece of multigrain toast.
> Or peanut butter on hot white bread toast, it melts then
> immediately slap on a thin slice of swiss cheese to soften.
>
> Gary: YUM
> Julie: GAG
>
> ;-D
>
> And I'm only laughing at the difference, not your issue with
> that. You hate it and I love it. We all have our preferences.

It's not the taste. It has something to do with the texture when it's warm.

> BTW, Happy Birthday to you on June 26. Hope it was a good one for
> you. Did you do/eat anything special?

Nope. We're having a family celebration tomorrow at the place I always go to
on Sat. So not exactly special but close to where my mom and brother live.