Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Asian/Thai ideas?

My gardener likes these flavor profiles. He likes chicken and beef. Also
brown rice and brown rice noodles. Only veggie I know of that he doesn't
like is asparagus. He has to eat gluten free so a lot of prepared sauces
won't work. Also, he can't have HFCS. Corn in and of itself is fine.

I have made Pad Thai, Pad Kee Mow, Teriyaki, Tomato Beef, Orange Chicken,
Fried Rice and just a generic stir fry of whatever meat and veg I have, with
some soy sauce, maybe a bit of sugar or whatever sauce I have that he can
eat. He also loved the Hawaiian Fried Rice with Spam.

I am not overly familiar with these foods as most don't appeal to me. I
don't mind making them but some, like Pad Thai have a lot of prep work, use
a lot of dishes, and require foods or seasonings that I don't keep in the
house.

Are there any dishes that are quick to fix and have readily available
ingredients? I have made Teriyaki sauce in the past. I suspect that I can
make many sauces if I need to as most of the bottled/jarred are not GF. I do
have Teriyaki, soy and a couple of other things that are GF. I can't really
look at a recipe and tell if it might be good as these sorts of things don't
appeal to me. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> My gardener likes these flavor profiles. He likes chicken and beef. Also
> brown rice and brown rice noodles. Only veggie I know of that he doesn't
> like is asparagus. He has to eat gluten free so a lot of prepared sauces
> won't work. Also, he can't have HFCS. Corn in and of itself is fine.
>
> I have made Pad Thai, Pad Kee Mow, Teriyaki, Tomato Beef, Orange Chicken,
> Fried Rice and just a generic stir fry of whatever meat and veg I have, with
> some soy sauce, maybe a bit of sugar or whatever sauce I have that he can
> eat. He also loved the Hawaiian Fried Rice with Spam.
>
> I am not overly familiar with these foods as most don't appeal to me. I
> don't mind making them but some, like Pad Thai have a lot of prep work, use
> a lot of dishes, and require foods or seasonings that I don't keep in the
> house.
>
> Are there any dishes that are quick to fix and have readily available
> ingredients? I have made Teriyaki sauce in the past. I suspect that I can
> make many sauces if I need to as most of the bottled/jarred are not GF. I do
> have Teriyaki, soy and a couple of other things that are GF. I can't really
> look at a recipe and tell if it might be good as these sorts of things don't
> appeal to me. Thanks!

coconut milk, a red or green curry, some kefir lime
leaves and onions is a pretty good basic dish. the
curries come in small cans and are usually available
at any asian food/spice store. you can pick several
and try them out. some are hotter than others so it
pays to be cautious at first when adding them and
then you can add more if it isn't spicy enough.

i have one dish that i like to make a few times a
year and i can eat it every day for a week or two.
i don't make it more often because Mom has no
tolerance for spicy/hot foods, but to me it tastes
like a good chili with more heat and coconut milk.
for some reason i love that combination of flavors.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> My gardener likes these flavor profiles. He likes chicken and beef. Also
>> brown rice and brown rice noodles. Only veggie I know of that he doesn't
>> like is asparagus. He has to eat gluten free so a lot of prepared sauces
>> won't work. Also, he can't have HFCS. Corn in and of itself is fine.
>>
>> I have made Pad Thai, Pad Kee Mow, Teriyaki, Tomato Beef, Orange Chicken,
>> Fried Rice and just a generic stir fry of whatever meat and veg I have,
>> with
>> some soy sauce, maybe a bit of sugar or whatever sauce I have that he can
>> eat. He also loved the Hawaiian Fried Rice with Spam.
>>
>> I am not overly familiar with these foods as most don't appeal to me. I
>> don't mind making them but some, like Pad Thai have a lot of prep work,
>> use
>> a lot of dishes, and require foods or seasonings that I don't keep in the
>> house.
>>
>> Are there any dishes that are quick to fix and have readily available
>> ingredients? I have made Teriyaki sauce in the past. I suspect that I can
>> make many sauces if I need to as most of the bottled/jarred are not GF. I
>> do
>> have Teriyaki, soy and a couple of other things that are GF. I can't
>> really
>> look at a recipe and tell if it might be good as these sorts of things
>> don't
>> appeal to me. Thanks!

> coconut milk, a red or green curry, some kefir lime
> leaves and onions is a pretty good basic dish. the
> curries come in small cans and are usually available
> at any asian food/spice store. you can pick several
> and try them out. some are hotter than others so it
> pays to be cautious at first when adding them and
> then you can add more if it isn't spicy enough.
>
> i have one dish that i like to make a few times a
> year and i can eat it every day for a week or two.
> i don't make it more often because Mom has no
> tolerance for spicy/hot foods, but to me it tastes
> like a good chili with more heat and coconut milk.
> for some reason i love that combination of flavors.
>

> songbird

I may have to get this stuff online. Have never seen the leaves in a store
but then I never looked for them. Do you use dried or fresh? I do see some
curry that is GF online. What kind of coconut milk? The canned kind or the
box? Not sure how I would season this though. I could not do it by taste.
This is something I would not be willing to taste. We had a Thai neighbor in
CA. She had parties almost weekly. Only thing she made that I liked was some
kind of corn fritters. Probably not the right name for them. But that's what
they looked like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> I may have to get this stuff online. Have never seen the leaves in a store
> but then I never looked for them. Do you use dried or fresh?

fresh, but you can leave them out or use some lime
juice instead or a little lime zest. they're different
than keffir leaves but still acceptable IMO.

> I do see some
> curry that is GF online.

i've not seen any that weren't. not many spice
blends include gluten.

> What kind of coconut milk? The canned kind or the
> box?

i have always used canned. i don't even know what
you mean by box. i'd assume that coconut milk in a
box would still be liquid and taste the same.

> Not sure how I would season this though. I could not do it by taste.

how did you do the Pad Thai? if you aren't going
to eat it you'd have to ask the person who would
be eating it what their preference might be and
that may give you answers.

> This is something I would not be willing to taste. We had a Thai neighbor in
> CA. She had parties almost weekly. Only thing she made that I liked was some
> kind of corn fritters. Probably not the right name for them. But that's what
> they looked like.

you don't like hot or spicy foods?

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I may have to get this stuff online. Have never seen the leaves in a
>> store
>> but then I never looked for them. Do you use dried or fresh?

> fresh, but you can leave them out or use some lime
> juice instead or a little lime zest. they're different
> than keffir leaves but still acceptable IMO.
>

>> I do see some
>> curry that is GF online.

> i've not seen any that weren't. not many spice
> blends include gluten.
>

>> What kind of coconut milk? The canned kind or the
>> box?

> i have always used canned. i don't even know what
> you mean by box. i'd assume that coconut milk in a
> box would still be liquid and taste the same.

The boxed is like soy or rice milk. Some is sweetened. I did buy canned some
year ago. Never used it. Tried to pour it out, It was so thick, it wouldn't
pour.

>> Not sure how I would season this though. I could not do it by taste.

> how did you do the Pad Thai? if you aren't going
> to eat it you'd have to ask the person who would
> be eating it what their preference might be and
> that may give you answers.

I followed a recipe for the Pad Thai. This is the recipe. He loves it!

https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/pad-thai/

I do have hard trime making it in that it smells and looks vile to me.
Smells even worse when reheated. Actually, I can bareley stand to open the
fridge when it's in there.

>> This is something I would not be willing to taste. We had a Thai neighbor
>> in
>> CA. She had parties almost weekly. Only thing she made that I liked was
>> some
>> kind of corn fritters. Probably not the right name for them. But that's
>> what
>> they looked like.

> you don't like hot or spicy foods?

The term "spicy" is meaningless to me. I dislike the taste of Thai, Indian,
Japanese, Cajun and most Chinese food. Just something not appealing with the
seasonings. I do like Mexican, Spanish and South American type seasonings.
Some of those can be spicy.

Tonight I made sort of a hash. I am low on both meat and fresh vegetables.
Our weather has just been too cool so the local stuff for the most part
isn't ready yet. I had a pound of grass fed organic ground beef in the
freezer. I added some cubed Russet potatoes but had to trim them as there
were black spots inside. Also a chopped white onion. After the potatoes were
done and beginning to crisp, I added a can of chopped tomatoes with chiles,
salt and pepper. Normally I would use salsa and bell peppers but I had none.
It was boring. I added a can of shoepeg corn and a little chili powder. I
didn't want to use too much chili powder as he doesn't care for it but he
will eat a small amount. I would love more heat but the only jalapenos I
have are dried, and the dish was pretty dry. I will probably add some
jalapeno sauce to my portion.

> songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> My gardener likes these flavor profiles. He likes chicken and beef.
> Also brown rice and brown rice noodles. Only veggie I know of that he
> doesn't like is asparagus. He has to eat gluten free so a lot of
> prepared sauces won't work. Also, he can't have HFCS. Corn in and of
> itself is fine.
>
> I have made Pad Thai, Pad Kee Mow, Teriyaki, Tomato Beef, Orange
> Chicken, Fried Rice and just a generic stir fry of whatever meat and
> veg I have, with some soy sauce, maybe a bit of sugar or whatever
> sauce I have that he can eat. He also loved the Hawaiian Fried Rice
> with Spam.
>
> I am not overly familiar with these foods as most don't appeal to me.
> I don't mind making them but some, like Pad Thai have a lot of prep
> work, use a lot of dishes, and require foods or seasonings that I
> don't keep in the house.
>
> Are there any dishes that are quick to fix and have readily available
> ingredients? I have made Teriyaki sauce in the past. I suspect that I
> can make many sauces if I need to as most of the bottled/jarred are
> not GF. I do have Teriyaki, soy and a couple of other things that are
> GF. I can't really look at a recipe and tell if it might be good as
> these sorts of things don't appeal to me. Thanks!

Hi Julie, you kind of answered your own question. Fast simple stir fry
of vegetables with the sauces you have on hand and a little oil. The
oil can be olive, peanut, canola etc. such as handy at your end. Corn
or generic 'vegetable oil' will be too thick tasting. A bit of meat
(should be chicken or shrimp for ease) can be added.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
> > I may have to get this stuff online. Have never seen the leaves in
> > a store but then I never looked for them. Do you use dried or fresh?

> fresh, but you can leave them out or use some lime
> juice instead or a little lime zest. they're different
> than keffir leaves but still acceptable IMO.
>

> > I do see some
> > curry that is GF online.

> i've not seen any that weren't. not many spice
> blends include gluten.
>

> > What kind of coconut milk? The canned kind or the
> > box?

> i have always used canned. i don't even know what
> you mean by box. i'd assume that coconut milk in a
> box would still be liquid and taste the same.
>

> > Not sure how I would season this though. I could not do it by
> > taste.

> how did you do the Pad Thai? if you aren't going
> to eat it you'd have to ask the person who would
> be eating it what their preference might be and
> that may give you answers.
>

> > This is something I would not be willing to taste. We had a Thai
> > neighbor in CA. She had parties almost weekly. Only thing she made
> > that I liked was some kind of corn fritters. Probably not the right
> > name for them. But that's what they looked like.

> you don't like hot or spicy foods?
>

> songbird

You add water to the boxed and it doesnt take up much room. Often used
for soups and such.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> My gardener likes these flavor profiles. He likes chicken and beef.
>> Also brown rice and brown rice noodles. Only veggie I know of that he
>> doesn't like is asparagus. He has to eat gluten free so a lot of
>> prepared sauces won't work. Also, he can't have HFCS. Corn in and of
>> itself is fine.
>>
>> I have made Pad Thai, Pad Kee Mow, Teriyaki, Tomato Beef, Orange
>> Chicken, Fried Rice and just a generic stir fry of whatever meat and
>> veg I have, with some soy sauce, maybe a bit of sugar or whatever
>> sauce I have that he can eat. He also loved the Hawaiian Fried Rice
>> with Spam.
>>
>> I am not overly familiar with these foods as most don't appeal to me.
>> I don't mind making them but some, like Pad Thai have a lot of prep
>> work, use a lot of dishes, and require foods or seasonings that I
>> don't keep in the house.
>>
>> Are there any dishes that are quick to fix and have readily available
>> ingredients? I have made Teriyaki sauce in the past. I suspect that I
>> can make many sauces if I need to as most of the bottled/jarred are
>> not GF. I do have Teriyaki, soy and a couple of other things that are
>> GF. I can't really look at a recipe and tell if it might be good as
>> these sorts of things don't appeal to me. Thanks!

> Hi Julie, you kind of answered your own question. Fast simple stir fry
> of vegetables with the sauces you have on hand and a little oil. The
> oil can be olive, peanut, canola etc. such as handy at your end. Corn
> or generic 'vegetable oil' will be too thick tasting. A bit of meat
> (should be chicken or shrimp for ease) can be added.

I was hoping to find something new. I do have a few sauces, but the GF ones
are very expensive and come in tiny bottles.

Odd about the oil because most of the recipes call for vegetable oil. I
usually use peanut with a touch of sesame though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> songbird wrote:
>
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>> > I may have to get this stuff online. Have never seen the leaves in
>> > a store but then I never looked for them. Do you use dried or fresh?

>> fresh, but you can leave them out or use some lime
>> juice instead or a little lime zest. they're different
>> than keffir leaves but still acceptable IMO.
>>

>> > I do see some
>> > curry that is GF online.

>> i've not seen any that weren't. not many spice
>> blends include gluten.
>>

>> > What kind of coconut milk? The canned kind or the
>> > box?

>> i have always used canned. i don't even know what
>> you mean by box. i'd assume that coconut milk in a
>> box would still be liquid and taste the same.
>>

>> > Not sure how I would season this though. I could not do it by
>> > taste.

>> how did you do the Pad Thai? if you aren't going
>> to eat it you'd have to ask the person who would
>> be eating it what their preference might be and
>> that may give you answers.
>>

>> > This is something I would not be willing to taste. We had a Thai
>> > neighbor in CA. She had parties almost weekly. Only thing she made
>> > that I liked was some kind of corn fritters. Probably not the right
>> > name for them. But that's what they looked like.

>> you don't like hot or spicy foods?
>>

>> songbird

> You add water to the boxed and it doesnt take up much room. Often used
> for soups and such.

I think you're referring to the powdered. The boxed is like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Delicious-D...ateway&sr=8-14

I had the powdered some time ago but I sent it to Ken K. I used it to make
vegan donuts. They were good but a lot of work and I don't need to be eating
donuts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 21:09:22 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> My gardener likes these flavor profiles. He likes chicken and beef. Also
>> brown rice and brown rice noodles.

> Aren't we already experts what your gardener likes?
>
>> He has to eat gluten free

> No he doesn't. You made that up and somehow convinced him of that.
> probably just to make you feel important and useful.

No.

>> Also, he can't have HFCS.

> Yes he can. He could eat gluten and corn syrup all day long before
> he started mooching off of you.

No. He didn't eat any bread at all until I started making it. Then he got
very sick. He was eating a lot of it. He can eat a lot of GF bread and it
doesn't make him ill. I did make wheat pasta once in a while prior. But not
often as I don't like it. He did keep trying to eat gluten thinking he could
build up a tolerance to it. It doesn't work that way. He became very ill
when I made some boxed mac and cheese with ground beef added. At that point,
he told me that he *had*to eat GF. I already knew this based on his symptoms
but like many people do, he thought he could manage the gluten once in a
while. It's hard to eat GF when you're out on the road unless you bring
things with you. You can't get many things at a drive through that are GF.
Perhaps a hamburger patty, apple slices. Maybe a salad.

You don't want to know what HFCS does to him. It isn't pretty.

> I have an Ideas: make him feed himself and stop asking/telling us
> what you [should] cook for him.

He does feed himself. I cook. I love to cook! I love to cook for others.
Sometimes he buys the food. Sometimes I do. What he doesn't do is cook. He
tries. He doesn't know what he's doing. So while he might ask me to make a
certain dish for him, he has no clue how to make it or what is in it. When
he wanted Pad Thai, he told me to buy the packet. My friend also said she
had seen the packet. I don't usually do packets.
Exceptions are mac and cheese or Spanish rice and I don't buy those often.
IMO, most things that come in a packet, aren't very good. I did look at the
packet. IIRC, I would still have to buy stuff to add to it. Uh... Nope.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 00:29:38 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> No. He didn't eat any bread at all until I started making it. Then he got
>> very sick. He was eating a lot of it. He can eat a lot of GF bread and it
>> doesn't make him ill. I did make wheat pasta once in a while prior. But
>> not
>> often as I don't like it. He did keep trying to eat gluten thinking he
>> could
>> build up a tolerance to it. It doesn't work that way. He became very ill
>> when I made some boxed mac and cheese with ground beef added. At that
>> point,
>> he told me that he *had*to eat GF. I already knew this based on his
>> symptoms
>> but like many people do, he thought he could manage the gluten once in a
>> while. It's hard to eat GF when you're out on the road unless you bring
>> things with you. You can't get many things at a drive through that are
>> GF.
>> Perhaps a hamburger patty, apple slices. Maybe a salad.

> The he was eating gluten all day long before he met you. And yes,
> bread too. How did he feed himself before he met you?

He was eating GF when he was in college. He did tell me that. When I met
him, he wasn't eating very well. He had no way to cook and no reliable
transportation to get to a grocery store. Just my opinion, but he was in
pretty bad shape health-wise.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 17:07:52 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> He was eating GF when he was in college.

> I'm tending to doubt that 101%. Unless he was so poor he wasn't
> eating anything.

Pretty much. As I said before... He lost most everything he had due to a
fire. The red cross did put him up for one night and gave him a cup opf
coffee. That was it.

>> He did tell me that. When I met
>> him, he wasn't eating very well. He had no way to cook and no reliable
>> transportation to get to a grocery store. Just my opinion, but he was in
>> pretty bad shape health-wise.

> Your "gardener" had no transportation?

He had a bike and a cart that attached to the back. That was it. Not really
safe to take a bike very far here unless you're in a strictly residential
area. His GF had a vehicle but it wasn't running. That's all I'm going to
say. This is nobody's business.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/26/2019 10:09 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 17:07:52 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> He was eating GF when he was in college.

> I'm tending to doubt that 101%. Unless he was so poor he wasn't
> eating anything.
>
>> He did tell me that. When I met
>> him, he wasn't eating very well. He had no way to cook and no reliable
>> transportation to get to a grocery store. Just my opinion, but he was in
>> pretty bad shape health-wise.

> Your "gardener" had no transportation?
>
> -sww

LOL Mine showed up on Wednesday driving a new truck to pull the flatbed
trailer with all the yard equipment he uses. You can't carry that stuff
around on your back. I have no idea what he eats; he gets paid by
check, not in food handouts or free room and board.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2019 12:59 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>

>> Your "gardener" had no transportation?

> He had a bike and a cart that attached to the back. That was it. Not
> really safe to take a bike very far here unless you're in a strictly
> residential area. His GF had a vehicle but it wasn't running. That's all
> I'm going to say. This is nobody's business.

Then why do you keep telling everyone all about him?

If you really want to cook Thai food you need to find some nam plaa.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 7:55:51 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> If you really want to cook Thai food you need to find some nam plaa.
>
> Jill

That's not available west of the Rockies. Nothing you recommend is west of
the Rockies. I'm surprised there are even grocery stores there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 08:55:44 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/27/2019 12:59 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> Your "gardener" had no transportation?

>> He had a bike and a cart that attached to the back. That was it. Not
>> really safe to take a bike very far here unless you're in a strictly
>> residential area. His GF had a vehicle but it wasn't running. That's all
>> I'm going to say. This is nobody's business.

>Then why do you keep telling everyone all about him?
>
>If you really want to cook Thai food you need to find some nam plaa.

LOL, Julie and Thai food... I don't bloody think so! Hence I've NOT
given any advice in this thread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 6/27/2019 12:59 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> Your "gardener" had no transportation?

>> He had a bike and a cart that attached to the back. That was it. Not
>> really safe to take a bike very far here unless you're in a strictly
>> residential area. His GF had a vehicle but it wasn't running. That's all
>> I'm going to say. This is nobody's business.

> Then why do you keep telling everyone all about him?
>
> If you really want to cook Thai food you need to find some nam plaa.

Fish sauce? I have.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 7:55:51 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> If you really want to cook Thai food you need to find some nam plaa.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> That's not available west of the Rockies. Nothing you recommend is west
> of
> the Rockies. I'm surprised there are even grocery stores there.

Hopefully YOU won't come West of the Rockies!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 08:55:44 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> He had a bike and a cart that attached to the back. That was it. Not
>>> really safe to take a bike very far here unless you're in a strictly
>>> residential area. His GF had a vehicle but it wasn't running. That's all
>>> I'm going to say. This is nobody's business.

>>Then why do you keep telling everyone all about him?
>>
>>If you really want to cook Thai food you need to find some nam plaa.

> LOL, Julie and Thai food... I don't bloody think so! Hence I've NOT
> given any advice in this thread.

I'm not going to eat it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 22:50:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 08:55:44 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>>Then why do you keep telling everyone all about him?
>>>
>>>If you really want to cook Thai food you need to find some nam plaa.

>> LOL, Julie and Thai food... I don't bloody think so! Hence I've NOT
>> given any advice in this thread.

>I'm not going to eat it.

I know
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 12:36:47 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
> > On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 7:55:51 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> >>
> >> If you really want to cook Thai food you need to find some nam plaa.
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> > That's not available west of the Rockies. Nothing you recommend is west
> > of
> > the Rockies. I'm surprised there are even grocery stores there.

> Hopefully YOU won't come West of the Rockies!

I've already been west of the Rockies a few times. Hate to burst your
bubble, but you'll have to deal with it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"> wrote:

> On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 7:55:51 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > If you really want to cook Thai food you need to find some nam plaa.

> That's not available west of the Rockies. Nothing you recommend is west of
> the Rockies. I'm surprised there are even grocery stores there.

There aren't. We have to hunt, fish, eat bugs and sagebrush and pretty
much fend for ourselves. It's great!

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 11:16:47 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >,
> "> wrote:
>
> > On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 7:55:51 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> > >
> > > If you really want to cook Thai food you need to find some nam plaa.

> > That's not available west of the Rockies. Nothing you recommend is west of
> > the Rockies. I'm surprised there are even grocery stores there.

> There aren't. We have to hunt, fish, eat bugs and sagebrush and pretty
> much fend for ourselves. It's great!
>
> leo

And do all that while wearing a loin cloth, too!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 10:22:37 AM UTC-10, jmcquown wrote:

> You didn't answer my question. So literal? My comment was a joke
> accompanied by a smiley. If you really think people who lived west of
> the rockies (or even east of the rockies) didn't also weave cloth...
> never mind.
>
> Jill

The Queen has spoketh!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/1/2019 3:58 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Are you always so literal?

>> And you call ME a liar? How can a liar be literal? You're a joke!

> You didn't answer my question. So literal? My comment was a joke
> accompanied by a smiley. If you really think people who lived west of the
> rockies (or even east of the rockies) didn't also weave cloth... never
> mind.

If that was a joke, you need to go back to the old drawing board. I never
said anything about people not weaving cloth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 6:09:33 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> My gardener likes these flavor profiles. He likes chicken and beef. Also
> brown rice and brown rice noodles. Only veggie I know of that he doesn't
> like is asparagus. He has to eat gluten free so a lot of prepared sauces
> won't work. Also, he can't have HFCS. Corn in and of itself is fine.
>
> I have made Pad Thai, Pad Kee Mow, Teriyaki, Tomato Beef, Orange Chicken,
> Fried Rice and just a generic stir fry of whatever meat and veg I have, with
> some soy sauce, maybe a bit of sugar or whatever sauce I have that he can
> eat. He also loved the Hawaiian Fried Rice with Spam.
>
> I am not overly familiar with these foods as most don't appeal to me. I
> don't mind making them but some, like Pad Thai have a lot of prep work, use
> a lot of dishes, and require foods or seasonings that I don't keep in the
> house.
>
> Are there any dishes that are quick to fix and have readily available
> ingredients? I have made Teriyaki sauce in the past. I suspect that I can
> make many sauces if I need to as most of the bottled/jarred are not GF. I do
> have Teriyaki, soy and a couple of other things that are GF. I can't really
> look at a recipe and tell if it might be good as these sorts of things don't
> appeal to me. Thanks!

We ate at a Thai restaurant the other day. I'm not into the food but the kids love that stuff. I thought the food was okay. Our neighbor owns a Thai restaurant but we didn't go to that one. Her daughter died and she's a woman of constant sorrow and I find the food at the restaurant to be full of sorrow.

I had the Thai coffee - that was kind of a mistake. I was worried about my guts on the drive home. Tasty stuff though. I can make the Thai/Vietnamese coffee/tea at home just fine. I'll be smart and use coconut condensed milk instead of the gut-killing real stuff and it'll all be smooth sailing.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...rV3seH7kIkXEVd

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> We ate at a Thai restaurant the other day. I'm not into the food but the kids love that stuff. I thought the food was okay.

When my grandparents-in-law used to visit here, they always ate
at a local Thai restaurant. Grandfather said he loved the food
but, "they always put those damn peanuts in everything." lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 2:58:28 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > We ate at a Thai restaurant the other day. I'm not into the food but the kids love that stuff. I thought the food was okay.

> When my grandparents-in-law used to visit here, they always ate
> at a local Thai restaurant. Grandfather said he loved the food
> but, "they always put those damn peanuts in everything." lol

I was feeding peanuts to my granddaughter this evening. They put too much damn peanuts in the kung pao chicken!

My favorite dish at the Thai restaurant was the cashew chicken. That's more of a Chinese dish that's popular in Thailand. I'm gonna have to make some of that stuff myself real soon. First I have to find a source of cheap cashews.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> I was feeding peanuts to my granddaughter this evening. They put too much damn peanuts in the kung pao chicken!

I used to make Kung Pao chicken often. Had a good recipe written
down but have lost it. Good stuff but isn't that Chinese?
Anyway, great food but the prep takes forever. I should hire a
prep cook for stuff like that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 2:58:28 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > We ate at a Thai restaurant the other day. I'm not into the food but the
> > kids love that stuff. I thought the food was okay.

> When my grandparents-in-law used to visit here, they always ate
> at a local Thai restaurant. Grandfather said he loved the food
> but, "they always put those damn peanuts in everything." lol

I was feeding peanuts to my granddaughter this evening. They put too much
damn peanuts in the kung pao chicken!

My favorite dish at the Thai restaurant was the cashew chicken. That's more
of a Chinese dish that's popular in Thailand. I'm gonna have to make some of
that stuff myself real soon. First I have to find a source of cheap cashews.

===

I have recipe for cashew chicken which D. loves. Please will you share
yours?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 3:57:04 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > I was feeding peanuts to my granddaughter this evening. They put too much damn peanuts in the kung pao chicken!

> I used to make Kung Pao chicken often. Had a good recipe written
> down but have lost it. Good stuff but isn't that Chinese?
> Anyway, great food but the prep takes forever. I should hire a
> prep cook for stuff like that.

Kung pao chicken is a Chinese dish. The stuff I had was the Chinese-American version. The cashew chicken I had at the Thai restaurant is also a Chinese dish but it just goes to show that the Thais enjoy Chinese food as much as anyone. Generally speaking, if your cashew chicken has oyster sauce in it, it's Chinese. If it's got fish sauce instead, it's Thai.