Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Asian/Thai ideas?

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 4:35:37 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 2:58:28 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:
> > > We ate at a Thai restaurant the other day. I'm not into the food but the
> > > kids love that stuff. I thought the food was okay.

> > When my grandparents-in-law used to visit here, they always ate
> > at a local Thai restaurant. Grandfather said he loved the food
> > but, "they always put those damn peanuts in everything." lol

> I was feeding peanuts to my granddaughter this evening. They put too much
> damn peanuts in the kung pao chicken!
>
> My favorite dish at the Thai restaurant was the cashew chicken. That's more
> of a Chinese dish that's popular in Thailand. I'm gonna have to make some of
> that stuff myself real soon. First I have to find a source of cheap cashews.
>

> ===
>
> I have recipe for cashew chicken which D. loves. Please will you share
> yours?

I have to make one up and try it. The dish seems to be easy enough to figure out from what I tasted. I can't say if I'll use oyster sauce or fish sauce. It depends on whether I want a Chinese dish or a Thai one. If I add fish sauce, I'll also add some chili pepper flakes too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 4:35:37 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 2:58:28 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:
> > > We ate at a Thai restaurant the other day. I'm not into the food but
> > > the
> > > kids love that stuff. I thought the food was okay.

> > When my grandparents-in-law used to visit here, they always ate
> > at a local Thai restaurant. Grandfather said he loved the food
> > but, "they always put those damn peanuts in everything." lol

> I was feeding peanuts to my granddaughter this evening. They put too much
> damn peanuts in the kung pao chicken!
>
> My favorite dish at the Thai restaurant was the cashew chicken. That's
> more
> of a Chinese dish that's popular in Thailand. I'm gonna have to make some
> of
> that stuff myself real soon. First I have to find a source of cheap
> cashews.
>

> ===
>
> I have recipe for cashew chicken which D. loves. Please will you
> share
> yours?

I have to make one up and try it. The dish seems to be easy enough to figure
out from what I tasted. I can't say if I'll use oyster sauce or fish sauce.
It depends on whether I want a Chinese dish or a Thai one. If I add fish
sauce, I'll also add some chili pepper flakes too.

===

I have both fish sauce and oyster sauce so ... we won't be bothering with
the chilli pepper though .. as you well know)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 10:52:12 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 4:35:37 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message

> > > When my grandparents-in-law used to visit here, they always ate
> > > at a local Thai restaurant. Grandfather said he loved the food
> > > but, "they always put those damn peanuts in everything." lol

> > I was feeding peanuts to my granddaughter this evening. They put too much
> > damn peanuts in the kung pao chicken!
> >
> > My favorite dish at the Thai restaurant was the cashew chicken. That's
> > more
> > of a Chinese dish that's popular in Thailand. I'm gonna have to make some
> > of
> > that stuff myself real soon. First I have to find a source of cheap
> > cashews.
> >

> > ===
> >
> > I have recipe for cashew chicken which D. loves. Please will you
> > share
> > yours?

> I have to make one up and try it. The dish seems to be easy enough to figure
> out from what I tasted. I can't say if I'll use oyster sauce or fish sauce.
> It depends on whether I want a Chinese dish or a Thai one. If I add fish
> sauce, I'll also add some chili pepper flakes too.
>
> ===
>
> I have both fish sauce and oyster sauce so ... we won't be bothering with
> the chilli pepper though .. as you well know)

I have both too. I've never mixed them up in the same dish. That just doesn't feel right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE2MFS6s7rQ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote:
> > Naam pla is available at most every competent grocery store in the
> > U.S. It's also knows a Nuoc Mam, AKA - Fish Sauce. Thai Kitchen
> > sells a version of it in a small bottle in even the most redneck of
> > stores.

> I have some!

Can't eat it though?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Naam pla is available at most every competent grocery store in the
> U.S. It's also knows a Nuoc Mam, AKA - Fish Sauce. Thai Kitchen
> sells a version of it in a small bottle in even the most redneck of
> stores.

I have a bottle of that. Don't know if it's considered a good
brand but probably good enough.

Brand is Dynasty. It is made in and imported from Thailand. 6.7oz
bottle.

Not sure what to do with it but I add a bit to any stir-fry sauce
I make. I love asian food but I do admit that I'm very
"challenged" in that cuisine.

Made fried rice last week with some leftover rice. Added minced
carrots, onion and garlic. This time I just put that into a bowl
with lid and microwaved it until the carrots bits were cooked,
rather than frying.

Mixed up a sauce using soy sauce, Nuoc Mam and a tiny bit of
sesame oil. Mixed that in and my portions were off. Super salty
even for me. Then I remembered that many asian sauces include
some sugar and I had forgotten that.

So I mixed in a bit of sugar and that made the taste so much
better. At least it was good enough to finish eating rather than
toss it.

Anyone here have any good mix ideas for a sauce for either fried
rice or any stir fry?
I DO know to add some cornstarch to thicken a stir fry.

As I said, I'm asian cuisine challenged but would like to learn
better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Sqwertz" wrote :
> > Naam pla is available at most every competent grocery store in the
> > U.S. It's also knows a Nuoc Mam, AKA - Fish Sauce. Thai Kitchen
> > sells a version of it in a small bottle in even the most redneck of
> > stores.

> I have some!

That's pretty good on McD's fries or BigMacs.

OK, I'm just kidding.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote:
>> > Naam pla is available at most every competent grocery store in the
>> > U.S. It's also knows a Nuoc Mam, AKA - Fish Sauce. Thai Kitchen
>> > sells a version of it in a small bottle in even the most redneck of
>> > stores.

>> I have some!

> Can't eat it though?

Don't want to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 2:15:15 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
> > Naam pla is available at most every competent grocery store in the
> > U.S. It's also knows a Nuoc Mam, AKA - Fish Sauce. Thai Kitchen
> > sells a version of it in a small bottle in even the most redneck of
> > stores.

> I have a bottle of that. Don't know if it's considered a good
> brand but probably good enough.
>
> Brand is Dynasty. It is made in and imported from Thailand. 6.7oz
> bottle.
>
> Not sure what to do with it but I add a bit to any stir-fry sauce
> I make. I love asian food but I do admit that I'm very
> "challenged" in that cuisine.
>
> Made fried rice last week with some leftover rice. Added minced
> carrots, onion and garlic. This time I just put that into a bowl
> with lid and microwaved it until the carrots bits were cooked,
> rather than frying.
>
> Mixed up a sauce using soy sauce, Nuoc Mam and a tiny bit of
> sesame oil. Mixed that in and my portions were off. Super salty
> even for me. Then I remembered that many asian sauces include
> some sugar and I had forgotten that.
>
> So I mixed in a bit of sugar and that made the taste so much
> better. At least it was good enough to finish eating rather than
> toss it.
>
> Anyone here have any good mix ideas for a sauce for either fried
> rice or any stir fry?
> I DO know to add some cornstarch to thicken a stir fry.
>
> As I said, I'm asian cuisine challenged but would like to learn
> better.

Balancing salty with sweet is an important concept in Asian cooking. For the sauce, you add sugar and then taste for balance. You have to learn how to do this. For starters, you can make teriyaki sauce. Pour light Japanese shoyu in a bowl and add some sugar. Taste. Add more sugar, if needed, repeat until the balance seems right to you. Add grated ginger if you like and dilute with water to the strength that seems right for you.

As far as fish sauce goes, the best one is the cheapest that I see on the shelf when I'm buying the stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 2:15:15 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>> Naam pla is available at most every competent grocery store in the
>>> U.S. It's also knows a Nuoc Mam, AKA - Fish Sauce. Thai Kitchen
>>> sells a version of it in a small bottle in even the most redneck of
>>> stores.

>> I have a bottle of that. Don't know if it's considered a good
>> brand but probably good enough.
>>
>> Brand is Dynasty. It is made in and imported from Thailand. 6.7oz
>> bottle.
>>
>> Not sure what to do with it but I add a bit to any stir-fry sauce
>> I make. I love asian food but I do admit that I'm very
>> "challenged" in that cuisine.
>>
>> Made fried rice last week with some leftover rice. Added minced
>> carrots, onion and garlic. This time I just put that into a bowl
>> with lid and microwaved it until the carrots bits were cooked,
>> rather than frying.
>>
>> Mixed up a sauce using soy sauce, Nuoc Mam and a tiny bit of
>> sesame oil. Mixed that in and my portions were off. Super salty
>> even for me. Then I remembered that many asian sauces include
>> some sugar and I had forgotten that.
>>
>> So I mixed in a bit of sugar and that made the taste so much
>> better. At least it was good enough to finish eating rather than
>> toss it.
>>
>> Anyone here have any good mix ideas for a sauce for either fried
>> rice or any stir fry?
>> I DO know to add some cornstarch to thicken a stir fry.
>>
>> As I said, I'm asian cuisine challenged but would like to learn
>> better.

> Balancing salty with sweet is an important concept in Asian cooking. For the sauce, you add sugar and then taste for balance. You have to learn how to do this. For starters, you can make teriyaki sauce. Pour light Japanese shoyu in a bowl and add some sugar. Taste. Add more sugar, if needed, repeat until the balance seems right to you. Add grated ginger if you like and dilute with water to the strength that seems right for you.
>
> As far as fish sauce goes, the best one is the cheapest that I see on the shelf when I'm buying the stuff.

Most of us honkeys find asian cooking much too difficult, so we
usually pay some chinks to cook our asian grub.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 2:15:15 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > Sqwertz wrote:
> > > Naam pla is available at most every competent grocery store in
> > > the U.S. It's also knows a Nuoc Mam, AKA - Fish Sauce. Thai
> > > Kitchen sells a version of it in a small bottle in even the most
> > > redneck of stores.

> > I have a bottle of that. Don't know if it's considered a good
> > brand but probably good enough.
> >
> > Brand is Dynasty. It is made in and imported from Thailand. 6.7oz
> > bottle.
> >
> > Not sure what to do with it but I add a bit to any stir-fry sauce
> > I make. I love asian food but I do admit that I'm very
> > "challenged" in that cuisine.
> >
> > Made fried rice last week with some leftover rice. Added minced
> > carrots, onion and garlic. This time I just put that into a bowl
> > with lid and microwaved it until the carrots bits were cooked,
> > rather than frying.
> >
> > Mixed up a sauce using soy sauce, Nuoc Mam and a tiny bit of
> > sesame oil. Mixed that in and my portions were off. Super salty
> > even for me. Then I remembered that many asian sauces include
> > some sugar and I had forgotten that.
> >
> > So I mixed in a bit of sugar and that made the taste so much
> > better. At least it was good enough to finish eating rather than
> > toss it.
> >
> > Anyone here have any good mix ideas for a sauce for either fried
> > rice or any stir fry?
> > I DO know to add some cornstarch to thicken a stir fry.
> >
> > As I said, I'm asian cuisine challenged but would like to learn
> > better.

> Balancing salty with sweet is an important concept in Asian cooking.
> For the sauce, you add sugar and then taste for balance. You have to
> learn how to do this. For starters, you can make teriyaki sauce. Pour
> light Japanese shoyu in a bowl and add some sugar. Taste. Add more
> sugar, if needed, repeat until the balance seems right to you. Add
> grated ginger if you like and dilute with water to the strength that
> seems right for you.
>
> As far as fish sauce goes, the best one is the cheapest that I see on
> the shelf when I'm buying the stuff.

Careful on 'fish sauce' folks, though ds1 probably gets it's not
'shoyu' many other countries get confused between 'sauce made from
fish' and 'sauce used on fish'.

Tiparos is a decent honest brand for Patis (fish sauce).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Jul 2019 21:41:34 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:
>
>> As far as fish sauce goes, the best one is the cheapest that I see on
>> the shelf when I'm buying the stuff.

>Careful on 'fish sauce' folks, though ds1 probably gets it's not
>'shoyu' many other countries get confused between 'sauce made from
>fish' and 'sauce used on fish'.
>
>Tiparos is a decent honest brand for Patis (fish sauce).

Ingredients: Water, Anchovy (Fish) Extract (65%), Salt, Sugar.
<https://www.wingyip.com/tiparos-fish-sauce-700ml.html>

Those aren't bad ingredients, but I don't get it. I thought
ingredients were listed in order of percentage. So there's more water
in the sauce than the 65% anchovy extract?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 4:47:17 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Jul 2019 21:41:34 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >dsi1 wrote:
> >
> >> As far as fish sauce goes, the best one is the cheapest that I see on
> >> the shelf when I'm buying the stuff.

> >Careful on 'fish sauce' folks, though ds1 probably gets it's not
> >'shoyu' many other countries get confused between 'sauce made from
> >fish' and 'sauce used on fish'.
> >
> >Tiparos is a decent honest brand for Patis (fish sauce).

> Ingredients: Water, Anchovy (Fish) Extract (65%), Salt, Sugar.
> <https://www.wingyip.com/tiparos-fish-sauce-700ml.html>
>
> Those aren't bad ingredients, but I don't get it. I thought
> ingredients were listed in order of percentage. So there's more water
> in the sauce than the 65% anchovy extract?

Sounds like that sauce is made of water and fish extract. That could be the fast and cheap way to make sauce. Traditionally, the stuff is made by layering small fish with salt in barrels. Using the whole fish instead of gutted fish speeds up the fermentation process. After a year or so, the fish has turned in goo and a clear, straw colored liquid can be extracted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Jul 2019 20:56:03 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 4:47:17 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

>> >Careful on 'fish sauce' folks, though ds1 probably gets it's not
>> >'shoyu' many other countries get confused between 'sauce made from
>> >fish' and 'sauce used on fish'.
>> >
>> >Tiparos is a decent honest brand for Patis (fish sauce).

>> Ingredients: Water, Anchovy (Fish) Extract (65%), Salt, Sugar.
>> <https://www.wingyip.com/tiparos-fish-sauce-700ml.html>
>>
>> Those aren't bad ingredients, but I don't get it. I thought
>> ingredients were listed in order of percentage. So there's more water
>> in the sauce than the 65% anchovy extract?

>Sounds like that sauce is made of water and fish extract. That could be the fast and cheap way to make sauce. Traditionally, the stuff is made by layering small fish with salt in barrels. Using the whole fish instead of gutted fish speeds up the fermentation process. After a year or so, the fish has turned in goo and a clear, straw colored liquid can be extracted.

That sounds like the difference between traditional soy sauce and sped
up soy sauce.

But if there's at least 65% water in the fish sauce, then the total is
at least 130%, not even counting sugar and salt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 10:47:17 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Jul 2019 21:41:34 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >dsi1 wrote:
> >
> >> As far as fish sauce goes, the best one is the cheapest that I see on
> >> the shelf when I'm buying the stuff.

> >Careful on 'fish sauce' folks, though ds1 probably gets it's not
> >'shoyu' many other countries get confused between 'sauce made from
> >fish' and 'sauce used on fish'.
> >
> >Tiparos is a decent honest brand for Patis (fish sauce).

> Ingredients: Water, Anchovy (Fish) Extract (65%), Salt, Sugar.
> <https://www.wingyip.com/tiparos-fish-sauce-700ml.html>
>
> Those aren't bad ingredients, but I don't get it. I thought
> ingredients were listed in order of percentage. So there's more water
> in the sauce than the 65% anchovy extract?

Perhaps it's an indication of the protein content of the extract, or
the level to which the extract was concentrated.

There seems to be a positive correlation between a fish sauce's protein
content and its quality.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 04:08:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 10:47:17 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 06 Jul 2019 21:41:34 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>>
>> >Careful on 'fish sauce' folks, though ds1 probably gets it's not
>> >'shoyu' many other countries get confused between 'sauce made from
>> >fish' and 'sauce used on fish'.
>> >
>> >Tiparos is a decent honest brand for Patis (fish sauce).

>> Ingredients: Water, Anchovy (Fish) Extract (65%), Salt, Sugar.
>> <https://www.wingyip.com/tiparos-fish-sauce-700ml.html>
>>
>> Those aren't bad ingredients, but I don't get it. I thought
>> ingredients were listed in order of percentage. So there's more water
>> in the sauce than the 65% anchovy extract?

>Perhaps it's an indication of the protein content of the extract, or
>the level to which the extract was concentrated.
>
>There seems to be a positive correlation between a fish sauce's protein
>content and its quality.

Maybe, but that would be an unusual way of listing ingredients.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 7:30:48 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 04:08:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> Ingredients: Water, Anchovy (Fish) Extract (65%), Salt, Sugar.
> >> <https://www.wingyip.com/tiparos-fish-sauce-700ml.html>
> >>
> >> Those aren't bad ingredients, but I don't get it. I thought
> >> ingredients were listed in order of percentage. So there's more water
> >> in the sauce than the 65% anchovy extract?

> >Perhaps it's an indication of the protein content of the extract, or
> >the level to which the extract was concentrated.
> >
> >There seems to be a positive correlation between a fish sauce's protein
> >content and its quality.

> Maybe, but that would be an unusual way of listing ingredients.

The only requirement in the U.S. is that they be listed in descending
order of content by weight. A qualifier like (65%) does not necessarily
indicate the percentage of the ingredient. The "ingredients" in flour
(for example, added nutrients) are often listed parenthetically.

It is a little odd to have that (65%), hanging there.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> Balancing salty with sweet is an important concept in Asian cooking. For the sauce, you add sugar and then taste for balance. You have to learn how to do this. For starters, you can make teriyaki sauce. Pour light Japanese shoyu in a bowl and add some sugar. Taste. Add more sugar, if needed, repeat until the balance seems right to you. Add grated ginger if you like and dilute with water to the strength that seems right for you.
>
> As far as fish sauce goes, the best one is the cheapest that I see on the shelf when I'm buying the stuff.

Thank you for all that, rock boy. I do appreciate your asian
input. :-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 5:50:15 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

> Thank you for all that, rock boy. I do appreciate your asian
> input. :-D

As it goes, the cheapest fish sauce is not going to be the best tasting sauce because it's going to be made from a second or third or more extraction of the fish goo. A second extraction would be sorta like adding more water to coffee grounds to make a batch of coffee. Secondary extractions are mixed with the primary extraction to make different quality levels of fish sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 11:50:25 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> Balancing salty with sweet is an important concept in Asian cooking. For the sauce, you add sugar and then taste for balance. You have to learn how to do this. For starters, you can make teriyaki sauce. Pour light Japanese shoyu in a bowl and add some sugar. Taste. Add more sugar, if needed, repeat until the balance seems right to you. Add grated ginger if you like and dilute with water to the strength that seems right for you.
>>
>> As far as fish sauce goes, the best one is the cheapest that I see on the shelf when I'm buying the stuff.

>Thank you for all that, rock boy. I do appreciate your asian
>input. :-D

Since dsi1 likes blanket statements: Asians are the world's biggest
cheapskates.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 05:16:51 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 7:30:48 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 04:08:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >Perhaps it's an indication of the protein content of the extract, or
>> >the level to which the extract was concentrated.
>> >
>> >There seems to be a positive correlation between a fish sauce's protein
>> >content and its quality.

>> Maybe, but that would be an unusual way of listing ingredients.

>The only requirement in the U.S. is that they be listed in descending
>order of content by weight. A qualifier like (65%) does not necessarily
>indicate the percentage of the ingredient. The "ingredients" in flour
>(for example, added nutrients) are often listed parenthetically.

Yes, the % must not refer to the whole product.

>It is a little odd to have that (65%), hanging there.

Yes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 9:15:24 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> Since dsi1 likes blanket statements: Asians are the world's biggest
> cheapskates.

dsi1 truly does love blanket statements. The Chinese are the world's biggest cheapskates. The Hawaiian word for Chinese is "Pake." Pake is also the Hawaiian word for cheapskate. To yoose guys, they's just funny looking yellow people but the Hawaiians have an imitate knowledge of the Chinese. They play an important part of our culture. As usual, you know nothing about what you speak. That's an important part of your culture! Pffft! ;p

https://blogs.ancestry.com/cm/files/...name-Map-1.png
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 12:41:19 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 9:15:24 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Since dsi1 likes blanket statements: Asians are the world's biggest
>> cheapskates.

>dsi1 truly does love blanket statements. The Chinese are the world's biggest cheapskates. The Hawaiian word for Chinese is "Pake." Pake is also the Hawaiian word for cheapskate. To yoose guys, they's just funny looking yellow people but the Hawaiians have an imitate knowledge of the Chinese. They play an important part of our culture. As usual, you know nothing about what you speak. That's an important part of your culture! Pffft! ;p

Sydney has lots of cheap Asian restaurants, especially cheap Chinese
and Thai. They're great cooks, but I always wonder which shortcuts
they've taken. The meat will be industry meat for sure. The fish will
be tilapia or basa. Will the vegetables be grown with human manure?
They can make a turd taste good, but you're still eating a turd.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 9:47:58 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 12:41:19 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 9:15:24 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> Since dsi1 likes blanket statements: Asians are the world's biggest
> >> cheapskates.

> >dsi1 truly does love blanket statements. The Chinese are the world's biggest cheapskates. The Hawaiian word for Chinese is "Pake." Pake is also the Hawaiian word for cheapskate. To yoose guys, they's just funny looking yellow people but the Hawaiians have an imitate knowledge of the Chinese. They play an important part of our culture. As usual, you know nothing about what you speak. That's an important part of your culture! Pffft! ;p

> Sydney has lots of cheap Asian restaurants, especially cheap Chinese
> and Thai. They're great cooks, but I always wonder which shortcuts
> they've taken. The meat will be industry meat for sure. The fish will
> be tilapia or basa. Will the vegetables be grown with human manure?
> They can make a turd taste good, but you're still eating a turd.

If it tastes good, who gives a shit? My boss' favorite restaurant in New York was closed down. The newspaper said there was cat in the pressed duck. This made him sad because he loved pressed duck and evidently, pressed cat.

My rule of thumb is that you never want to go into the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant. Things will go a lot smoother that way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 13:13:26 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 9:47:58 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 12:41:19 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >dsi1 truly does love blanket statements. The Chinese are the world's biggest cheapskates. The Hawaiian word for Chinese is "Pake." Pake is also the Hawaiian word for cheapskate. To yoose guys, they's just funny looking yellow people but the Hawaiians have an imitate knowledge of the Chinese. They play an important part of our culture. As usual, you know nothing about what you speak. That's an important part of your culture! Pffft! ;p

>> Sydney has lots of cheap Asian restaurants, especially cheap Chinese
>> and Thai. They're great cooks, but I always wonder which shortcuts
>> they've taken. The meat will be industry meat for sure. The fish will
>> be tilapia or basa. Will the vegetables be grown with human manure?
>> They can make a turd taste good, but you're still eating a turd.

>If it tastes good, who gives a shit?

I do. Non Asians sometimes have standards

>My boss' favorite restaurant in New York was closed down. The newspaper said there was cat in the pressed duck. This made him sad because he loved pressed duck and evidently, pressed cat.
>
>My rule of thumb is that you never want to go into the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant. Things will go a lot smoother that way.

As long as the cockroaches and the rats don't end up in the food, it's
fine with me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 10:32:37 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> As long as the cockroaches and the rats don't end up in the food, it's
> fine with me.

Your fear of food makes me think you speak with forked tongue.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 14:36:13 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 10:32:37 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> As long as the cockroaches and the rats don't end up in the food, it's
>> fine with me.

>Your fear of food makes me think you speak with forked tongue.

If you like cockroaches and rat poo in your food, then all I can say
is Enjoy! Long live Hawaiian cuisine!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 11:50:25 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Balancing salty with sweet is an important concept in Asian cooking. For the sauce, you add sugar and then taste for balance. You have to learn how to do this. For starters, you can make teriyaki sauce. Pour light Japanese shoyu in a bowl and add some sugar. Taste. Add more sugar, if needed, repeat until the balance seems right to you. Add grated ginger if you like and dilute with water to the strength that seems right for you.
>>>
>>> As far as fish sauce goes, the best one is the cheapest that I see on the shelf when I'm buying the stuff.

>> Thank you for all that, rock boy. I do appreciate your asian
>> input. :-D

> Since dsi1 likes blanket statements: Asians are the world's biggest
> cheapskates.

I thought that was the scottish? Let's ask McQuown.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 3:47:58 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 12:41:19 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 9:15:24 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> Since dsi1 likes blanket statements: Asians are the world's biggest
> >> cheapskates.

> >dsi1 truly does love blanket statements. The Chinese are the world's biggest cheapskates. The Hawaiian word for Chinese is "Pake." Pake is also the Hawaiian word for cheapskate. To yoose guys, they's just funny looking yellow people but the Hawaiians have an imitate knowledge of the Chinese. They play an important part of our culture. As usual, you know nothing about what you speak. That's an important part of your culture! Pffft! ;p

> Sydney has lots of cheap Asian restaurants, especially cheap Chinese
> and Thai. They're great cooks, but I always wonder which shortcuts
> they've taken. The meat will be industry meat for sure. The fish will
> be tilapia or basa. Will the vegetables be grown with human manure?
> They can make a turd taste good, but you're still eating a turd.

If Australia is anything at all like the U.S., the cheapest vegetables
will be grown using chemical fertilizer. The labor to use manure of
any kind would drive up the price.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 02:53:00 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 3:47:58 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 12:41:19 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>> >dsi1 truly does love blanket statements. The Chinese are the world's biggest cheapskates. The Hawaiian word for Chinese is "Pake." Pake is also the Hawaiian word for cheapskate. To yoose guys, they's just funny looking yellow people but the Hawaiians have an imitate knowledge of the Chinese. They play an important part of our culture. As usual, you know nothing about what you speak. That's an important part of your culture! Pffft! ;p

>> Sydney has lots of cheap Asian restaurants, especially cheap Chinese
>> and Thai. They're great cooks, but I always wonder which shortcuts
>> they've taken. The meat will be industry meat for sure. The fish will
>> be tilapia or basa. Will the vegetables be grown with human manure?
>> They can make a turd taste good, but you're still eating a turd.

>If Australia is anything at all like the U.S., the cheapest vegetables
>will be grown using chemical fertilizer. The labor to use manure of
>any kind would drive up the price.

I know. It was poetic licence.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-07-08 3:53 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 3:47:58 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 12:41:19 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>>> dsi1 truly does love blanket statements. The Chinese are the world's biggest cheapskates. The Hawaiian word for Chinese is "Pake." Pake is also the Hawaiian word for cheapskate. To yoose guys, they's just funny looking yellow people but the Hawaiians have an imitate knowledge of the Chinese. They play an important part of our culture. As usual, you know nothing about what you speak. That's an important part of your culture! Pffft! ;p

>> Sydney has lots of cheap Asian restaurants, especially cheap Chinese
>> and Thai. They're great cooks, but I always wonder which shortcuts
>> they've taken. The meat will be industry meat for sure. The fish will
>> be tilapia or basa. Will the vegetables be grown with human manure?
>> They can make a turd taste good, but you're still eating a turd.

> If Australia is anything at all like the U.S., the cheapest vegetables
> will be grown using chemical fertilizer.

Nothing wrong with that!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 09:58:37 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 5:50:15 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
>>
>> Thank you for all that, rock boy. I do appreciate your asian
>> input. :-D

>As it goes, the cheapest fish sauce is not going to be the best tasting
>sauce because it's going to be made from a second or third or more
>extraction of the fish goo.

Go know there's extra virgin fish goo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 6:02:44 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 09:58:37 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 5:50:15 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> >>
> >> Thank you for all that, rock boy. I do appreciate your asian
> >> input. :-D

> >As it goes, the cheapest fish sauce is not going to be the best tasting
> >sauce because it's going to be made from a second or third or more
> >extraction of the fish goo.

> Go know there's extra virgin fish goo.

Here you go. This stuff contains 2 ingredients: fish and salt. The protein content is high - something like 20%.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Boat-Prem...dp/B00B617XK2/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 13:37:45 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 6:02:44 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 09:58:37 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>> >As it goes, the cheapest fish sauce is not going to be the best tasting
>> >sauce because it's going to be made from a second or third or more
>> >extraction of the fish goo.

>> Go know there's extra virgin fish goo.

>Here you go. This stuff contains 2 ingredients: fish and salt. The protein content is high - something like 20%.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/Red-Boat-Prem...dp/B00B617XK2/

I'd rather anchovies, the rolled ones.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 11:00:27 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 13:37:45 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
> >On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 6:02:44 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> >> Go know there's extra virgin fish goo.

> >Here you go. This stuff contains 2 ingredients: fish and salt. The protein content is high - something like 20%.
> >
> >https://www.amazon.com/Red-Boat-Prem...dp/B00B617XK2/

> I'd rather anchovies, the rolled ones.

I have a bottle of stinkin' anchovies. They won't roll, mostly they just fall apart. It makes some stinkin' brown goo.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...1HJfmDpMsYmCLd
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 14:29:54 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 11:00:27 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 13:37:45 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>> >Here you go. This stuff contains 2 ingredients: fish and salt. The protein content is high - something like 20%.
>> >
>> >https://www.amazon.com/Red-Boat-Prem...dp/B00B617XK2/

>> I'd rather anchovies, the rolled ones.

>I have a bottle of stinkin' anchovies. They won't roll, mostly they just fall apart. It makes some stinkin' brown goo.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...1HJfmDpMsYmCLd

Your ukelele anchovies look worse than the cheapest cat food.
These are wonderful anchovies rolled around capers, packed in olive
oil... as close as it gets to performing oral sex on your honey:
https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Rolled-...-1-spons&psc=1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 12:21:41 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 14:29:54 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
> >On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 11:00:27 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> >> I'd rather anchovies, the rolled ones.

> >I have a bottle of stinkin' anchovies. They won't roll, mostly they just fall apart. It makes some stinkin' brown goo.
> >
> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...1HJfmDpMsYmCLd

> Your ukelele anchovies look worse than the cheapest cat food.
> These are wonderful anchovies rolled around capers, packed in olive
> oil... as close as it gets to performing oral sex on your honey:
> https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Rolled-...-1-spons&psc=1

That looks like sissy food.

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Rolled-.../dp/B000FDCS0C
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 15:31:41 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 12:21:41 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 14:29:54 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>> >I have a bottle of stinkin' anchovies. They won't roll, mostly they just fall apart. It makes some stinkin' brown goo.
>> >
>> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...1HJfmDpMsYmCLd

>> Your ukelele anchovies look worse than the cheapest cat food.
>> These are wonderful anchovies rolled around capers, packed in olive
>> oil... as close as it gets to performing oral sex on your honey:
>> https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Rolled-...-1-spons&psc=1

>That looks like sissy food.

Admit it, you haven't the cojones to eat pussy, makes you lose your
lunch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 12:21:41 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 14:29:54 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>>> I have a bottle of stinkin' anchovies. They won't roll, mostly they just fall apart. It makes some stinkin' brown goo.
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...1HJfmDpMsYmCLd

>> Your ukelele anchovies look worse than the cheapest cat food.
>> These are wonderful anchovies rolled around capers, packed in olive
>> oil... as close as it gets to performing oral sex on your honey:
>> https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Rolled-...-1-spons&psc=1

> That looks like sissy food.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Rolled-.../dp/B000FDCS0C

Popeye always ejaculates when he eats anchovies.