Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Slow cooker recipes

I know a lot of you like/use slow cookers (Crock Pots) and I ran across
this:

https://www.delish.com/cooking/g362/...cken/?slide=14

Heck, may even try one myself. That "1 of 32" (use the arrow buttons
on that first picture), "Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings" sounds pretty
good.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 10:12:10 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:

> I know a lot of you like/use slow cookers (Crock Pots) and I ran across
> this:
>
> https://www.delish.com/cooking/g362/...cken/?slide=14
>
> Heck, may even try one myself. That "1 of 32" (use the arrow buttons
> on that first picture), "Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings" sounds pretty
> good.
>
> nb

If you like it, enjoy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2019 11:12 AM, notbob wrote:

> I know a lot of you like/use slow cookers (Crock Pots) and I ran across
> this:
>
> https://www.delish.com/cooking/g362/...cken/?slide=14
>
> Heck, may even try one myself.Â*Â* That "1 of 32" (use the arrow buttons
> on that first picture), "Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings" sounds pretty
> good.Â*Â*
>
> nb

I use the crock pot for things like that all the time.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message

> I know a lot of you like/use slow cookers (Crock Pots) and I ran across
> this:
>
> https://www.delish.com/cooking/g362/...cken/?slide=14
>
> Heck, may even try one myself. That "1 of 32" (use the arrow buttons on
> that first picture), "Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings" sounds pretty good.

I have some but have given up on them except for baked beans. We found that
the food cooked in them didn't taste the same as food done in the oven or on
the stove.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I use the crock pot for things like that all the time.

A crock pot is a very useful kitchen appliance. I use my old one
often.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/24/2019 8:13 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> I use the crock pot for things like that all the time.

> A crock pot is a very useful kitchen appliance. I use my old one
> often.

Â* We recently purchased an Insta-Pot , the jury is still out on whether
it's as good as our older slow cooker . It does do a fantastic job of
searing then pressure cooking a beef roast though !

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 9:28:35 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

> Â* We recently purchased an Insta-Pot , the jury is still out on whether
> it's as good as our older slow cooker . It does do a fantastic job of
> searing then pressure cooking a beef roast though !

An Insta-Pot is a pressure cooker but I believe it can also be used as a
slow cooker?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 8:07:35 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 9:28:35 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
> >
> > Â* We recently purchased an Insta-Pot , the jury is still out on whether
> > it's as good as our older slow cooker . It does do a fantastic job of
> > searing then pressure cooking a beef roast though !
> >

> An Insta-Pot is a pressure cooker but I believe it can also be used as a
> slow cooker?

My guess is that Insta-Pot is a brand name. Multi-cooker is probably a better name for these things. I pot that can pressure cook, deep fry, and sous vide, would be pretty cool!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 7:23:34 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 8:07:35 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> >
> > An Insta-Pot is a pressure cooker but I believe it can also be used as a
> > slow cooker?

> My guess is that Insta-Pot is a brand name. Multi-cooker is probably a better name for these things. I pot that can pressure cook, deep fry, and sous vide, would be pretty cool!

Yes, I believe it is the brand name and they're really the rage with lots of
folks. Plenty of YouTube videos with recipes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 3:02:09 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 7:23:34 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 8:07:35 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> > >
> > > An Insta-Pot is a pressure cooker but I believe it can also be used as a
> > > slow cooker?

> > My guess is that Insta-Pot is a brand name. Multi-cooker is probably a better name for these things. I pot that can pressure cook, deep fry, and sous vide, would be pretty cool!
> >

> Yes, I believe it is the brand name and they're really the rage with lots of
> folks. Plenty of YouTube videos with recipes.

It is all the rage. Who would have guessed? Not I!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 8:05:54 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 3:02:09 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I believe it is the brand name and they're really the rage with lots of
> > folks. Plenty of YouTube videos with recipes.

> It is all the rage. Who would have guessed? Not I!

You lead a far too sheltered life.
;o)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-23, jmcquown > wrote:

> I use the crock pot for things like that all the time.

I've thrown away at least 3 of 'em.

Looks like I'll hafta buy one from a thrift store.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 3:28:31 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 8:05:54 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 3:02:09 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, I believe it is the brand name and they're really the rage with lots of
> > > folks. Plenty of YouTube videos with recipes.

> > It is all the rage. Who would have guessed? Not I!
> >

> You lead a far too sheltered life.
> ;o)

My dad told me that too. I guess it's probably true. Well, damn, he was a little late getting that message to me!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/24/2019 9:13 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I use the crock pot for things like that all the time.

> A crock pot is a very useful kitchen appliance. I use my old one
> often.

Mine is fairly old. It's not digital. Knob selections are High, Low,
Warm and Off. Chicken & dumplings, chuck roast with veggies, corned
beef & cabbage wedges, soups. Things that need to be cooked low and
slow yet you don't need to constant attention. Don't have to worry
about scorching or burning. It really is a sort of "set it and forget
it" appliance. You aren't chained to the kitchen watching over pots or
timing; do other household chores. Or read a book or RFC

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote in news:Gr6RE.5943$yA4.5634
@fx07.iad:

> On 6/24/2019 9:13 AM, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> I use the crock pot for things like that all the time.

>> A crock pot is a very useful kitchen appliance. I use my old one
>> often.
>>

> Mine is fairly old. It's not digital. Knob selections are High, Low,
> Warm and Off. Chicken & dumplings, chuck roast with veggies,

corned
> beef & cabbage wedges, soups. Things that need to be cooked low and
> slow yet you don't need to constant attention. Don't have to worry
> about scorching or burning. It really is a sort of "set it and forget
> it" appliance. You aren't chained to the kitchen watching over pots

or
> timing; do other household chores. Or read a book or RFC
>
> Jill

Mine is an ancient Rival (manual is copyrigt (1982).

It's cooking some northern beans, turkey, onions & garlic right new. I
make that every few weeks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2019 1:19 PM, KenK wrote:
> jmcquown > wrote in news:Gr6RE.5943$yA4.5634
> @fx07.iad:

>>> A crock pot is a very useful kitchen appliance. I use my old one
>>> often.
>>>

>> Mine is fairly old. It's not digital. Knob selections are High, Low,
>> Warm and Off. Chicken & dumplings, chuck roast with veggies,

> corned
>> beef & cabbage wedges, soups. Things that need to be cooked low and
>> slow yet you don't need to constant attention. Don't have to worry
>> about scorching or burning. It really is a sort of "set it and forget
>> it" appliance. You aren't chained to the kitchen watching over pots

> or
>> timing; do other household chores. Or read a book or RFC
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Mine is an ancient Rival (manual is copyrigt (1982).

Is that the actual age of your Rival crockpot or just the date on the
manual?

> It's cooking some northern beans, turkey, onions & garlic right new. I
> make that every few weeks.

I'd like those great northern beans cooked with a smoked hamhock.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/25/2019 11:35 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2019-06-23, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> I use the crock pot for things like that all the time.

> I've thrown away at least 3 of 'em.
>
> Looks like I'll hafta buy one from a thrift store.
>
> nb

Why did you throw them away? Was it the elevation factor?

I love my crock pot but if it was a PITA to use because of being just
above sea level I wouldn't bother with it. You can do the same thing on
the stovetop. Difference is, you have to pay a lot more attention.
Can't just walk away or something might need to be stirred or the temp
adjusted.

About that chicken & dumplings recipein your link. Those weren't
dumplings. They were bits of baked biscuits added to chicken stew.
That is not chicken & dumplings in a crock pot. If you'd like, I can
tell you how to do it. Really quite tasty and until it's time to add
the drop dumplings, pretty much just a walk away and let it simmer sort
of thing. Delicious!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > Mine is fairly old. It's not digital. Knob selections are High, Low,
> > Warm and Off.

> Mine is an ancient Rival (manual is copyright (1982).
>
> It's cooking some northern beans, turkey, onions & garlic right new. I
> make that every few weeks.

That sounds good, Ken. Have an exact recipe? Or that it above?

I also have an ancient Rival from 1980 or soon after. I don't
have the manual to check but mine is only 2 parts total. The pot
and the lid. No removable interior. Knob on mine is Off, Low,
High.

It does have a plastic lid though, if that might date it. My
older one had a glass lid but that might not have been a Rival.
It's long gone and I don't remember.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote in news:VE7RE.2212$Pz4.2022
@fx08.iad:

> Is that the actual age of your Rival crockpot or just the date on the
> manual?

I don't know. But I assume it's around 30 years old. Appliance companies
don't seem to make stuff that lasts like that anymore!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/28/2019 1:23 PM, KenK wrote:
> jmcquown > wrote in news:VE7RE.2212$Pz4.2022
> @fx08.iad:
>
>> Is that the actual age of your Rival crockpot or just the date on the
>> manual?
>>

> I don't know. But I assume it's around 30 years old. Appliance companies
> don't seem to make stuff that lasts like that anymore!

As long as it works, don't worry about it. It was a rhetorical question
anyway. Slow cookers haven't changed all that much over the years. The
old recipes still work in the new ones and new recipes should work in
the old ones.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote in news:VE7RE.2212$Pz4.2022
@fx08.iad:

> I'd like those great northern beans cooked with a smoked hamhock.

When I first started making those beans that's what I used. Very good. In
the past I think I've used smoked sausage too. Now I'm cheap and usually
use packaged thin slices of chicken or turkey - an ounce or so - just for a
bit of flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote in :

> KenK wrote:
>>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>> > Mine is fairly old. It's not digital. Knob selections are High,

Low,
>> > Warm and Off.

>> Mine is an ancient Rival (manual is copyright (1982).
>>
>> It's cooking some northern beans, turkey, onions & garlic right new.

>> make that every few weeks.

> That sounds good, Ken. Have an exact recipe? Or that it above?

2 1/2 C northern beans, soaked overnight
Minced garlic to taste - I use about 6 TBS.
Diced onion
A few ounces of meat of choice - smoked hamhock or turkey, smoked
sausage.
2 chicken bullion cubes
salt & pepper to taste

Cook on high about 8 hours, then low until you eat it. Makes me about 6
meals.

> I also have an ancient Rival from 1980 or soon after. I don't
> have the manual to check but mine is only 2 parts total. The pot
> and the lid. No removable interior. Knob on mine is Off, Low,
> High.

Mine the same except only high and low.

> It does have a plastic lid though, if that might date it. My
> older one had a glass lid but that might not have been a Rival.
> It's long gone and I don't remember.

Mine has a glass lid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/28/2019 1:28 PM, KenK wrote:
> jmcquown > wrote in news:VE7RE.2212$Pz4.2022
> @fx08.iad:
>
>> I'd like those great northern beans cooked with a smoked hamhock.
>>

> When I first started making those beans that's what I used. Very good. In
> the past I think I've used smoked sausage too. Now I'm cheap and usually
> use packaged thin slices of chicken or turkey - an ounce or so - just for a
> bit of flavor.

Thin slices? Like lunch meat? I thought you were talking about
something like smoked turkey wings for seasoning the beans in the crock
pot. Hamhocks aren't all that expensive. If you're buying cheap lunch
meat to season beans you really are eating on the cheap. Maybe you
should check on government assistance.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 13:37:09 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/28/2019 1:28 PM, KenK wrote:
>> jmcquown > wrote in news:VE7RE.2212$Pz4.2022
>> @fx08.iad:
>>
>>> I'd like those great northern beans cooked with a smoked hamhock.
>>>

>> When I first started making those beans that's what I used. Very good. In
>> the past I think I've used smoked sausage too. Now I'm cheap and usually
>> use packaged thin slices of chicken or turkey - an ounce or so - just for a
>> bit of flavor.
>>

>Thin slices? Like lunch meat? I thought you were talking about
>something like smoked turkey wings for seasoning the beans in the crock
>pot. Hamhocks aren't all that expensive. If you're buying cheap lunch
>meat to season beans you really are eating on the cheap. Maybe you
>should check on government assistance.
>
>Jill

I typically add a few dawgs to a pot of beans, adds a good smokey
flavor plus makes for good eating on the cheap.
Do yoose know that any stove top can be used as a slow cooker and
works far better... choose a smallish heavy stainless steel pot (8
qt), fill it with whatever, brown any meats, add liquid, bring just to
the boil and lower the heat to a low simmer or a bit lower. It's much
better as you can add more ingredients in the order they need cooking,
raise the heat briefly until hot and then lower the heat to a slow
cooker temp.
I see no good use for a slow cooker except for making pin oats without
stirring for hours. After about a year oatmeal got boring so I gave
my slow cooker away. If your stove doesn't maintain a low enough
temperature use a flame tamer or choose a larger pot... the larger the
pot the more heat that's required to maintain temperature.
I found a slow cooker majorly limited... slow cookers are really for
slow people as they are equally limited, they are on the same cooking
ability level as for TV Dinners and for those who think fast food
mystery meat burgers are the cat's meow, and that paint by numbers is
art. Those who laud slow cookers all suffer chronic TIAD.
As an aside our cats love my home ground burgers but will walk away
from fast food mystery meat burgers and in disgust.., when the grands
are here they want McD's happy meals, our cats are not happy... one
sniff and they actually go through the motions of burying it in their
litter pan... I shit yoose not, its very funny to watch, would make a
great Youtube video.. McD wouldn't like it. LOL

I've got one of my 12 ounce burgers thawing for tomorrow
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 13:37:09 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 6/28/2019 1:28 PM, KenK wrote:
>>> jmcquown > wrote in news:VE7RE.2212$Pz4.2022
>>> @fx08.iad:

>>> When I first started making those beans that's what I used. Very good. In
>>> the past I think I've used smoked sausage too. Now I'm cheap and usually
>>> use packaged thin slices of chicken or turkey - an ounce or so - just for a
>>> bit of flavor.
>>>

>> Thin slices? Like lunch meat? I thought you were talking about
>> something like smoked turkey wings for seasoning the beans in the crock
>> pot. Hamhocks aren't all that expensive. If you're buying cheap lunch
>> meat to season beans you really are eating on the cheap. Maybe you
>> should check on government assistance.
>>
>> Jill

> I typically add a few dawgs to a pot of beans, adds a good smokey
> flavor plus makes for good eating on the cheap.

Yup, I expect yoose love any meat that resembles dicks.

> Do yoose know that any stove top can be used

Yup, Popeye, folks have had stoves for several hundred years now.

Even the 100% Mayans discovered stoves a millennia ago.

I shit yoose not

Yoose shit here most every day.

> I've got one of my 12 ounce burgers thawing for tomorrow

Stick it up yoose ass Popeye. It will soothe and cool yoose old
hemorrhoids. Or get that old mexican 100% mayan to give yoose a
proper brooklyn blow job.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Gary > wrote:

> I also have an ancient Rival from 1980 or soon after. I don't
> have the manual to check but mine is only 2 parts total. The pot
> and the lid. No removable interior. Knob on mine is Off, Low,
> High.
>
> It does have a plastic lid though, if that might date it. My
> older one had a glass lid but that might not have been a Rival.
> It's long gone and I don't remember.

I hardly use and never throw any gizmos away. I finally ran out of
available space and don't buy them anymore. My last gizmo was a Braun
wand blender, and I do use that occasionally.
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2kyzfnl5n2m0vg/OldStuff.jpg?dl=0>

leo