Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Braised Lamb Shanks with Barley

Nothing difficult about this delicious dish. It's slow cooking without
using a slow cooke/crock pot. Brown 2 lamb shanks in a deep pot in a
little hot olive oil. Remove from the pot and set aside on a plate to
drain. In the same pot sautee a miripoix of minced onion, celery,
garlic until tender. Feel free to add bell pepper or other vegetables.
I add a dab of tomato paste. Stir, stir. Deglaze the pan with a little
white wine. Add the lamb shanks back to the pan. Add chicken broth or
stock to cover well. Season with salt, pepper, thyme and sage. Cover
and simmer for hours on low heat until the lamb is fork tender and the
liquid is reduced.

At that point ramp up the heat and add 1/4 cup of pearled barley. Make
sure there's enough liquid added to the pot. Add some chicken stock if
needed. Cook this until the barley is tender. Lamb and barley are
natural pairings.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Jun 2019 jmcquown wrote:

>Nothing difficult about this delicious dish. It's slow cooking without
>using a slow cooker/crock pot. Brown 2 lamb shanks in a deep pot in a
>little hot olive oil. Remove from the pot and set aside on a plate to
>drain. In the same pot saute a miripoix of minced onion, celery,
>garlic until tender. Feel free to add bell pepper or other vegetables.
>I add a dab of tomato paste. Stir, stir. Deglaze the pan with a little
>white wine. Add the lamb shanks back to the pan. Add chicken broth or
>stock to cover well. Season with salt, pepper, thyme and sage. Cover
>and simmer for hours on low heat until the lamb is fork tender and the
>liquid is reduced.
>
>At that point ramp up the heat and add 1/4 cup of pearled barley. Make
>sure there's enough liquid added to the pot. Add some chicken stock if
>needed. Cook this until the barley is tender. Lamb and barley are
>natural pairings.
>
>Jill

Sounds great, however naturally I'd use veal shanks... instead of sage
I'd use a couple three bay leaves and some marjoram. I'll have to
research as I've never seen any veal at the markets I've been to
around here. My favorite veal dish is breast of veal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-22 6:08 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/22/2019 3:06 PM, wrote:
>> OnÂ* 22 Jun 2019 jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> Nothing difficult about this delicious dish.Â* It's slow cooking without
>>> using a slow cooker/crock pot.Â* Brown 2 lamb shanks in a deep pot in a
>>> little hot olive oil.Â* Remove from the pot and set aside on a plate to
>>> drain.Â* In the same pot saute a miripoix of minced onion, celery,
>>> garlic until tender.Â* Feel free to add bell pepper or other vegetables.
>>> I add a dab of tomato paste.Â* Stir, stir.Â* Deglaze the pan with a little
>>> white wine.Â* Add the lamb shanks back to the pan.Â* Add chicken broth or
>>> stock to cover well.Â* Season with salt, pepper, thyme and sage.Â* Cover
>>> and simmer for hours on low heat until the lamb is fork tender and the
>>> liquid is reduced.
>>>
>>> At that point ramp up the heat and add 1/4 cup of pearled barley.Â* Make
>>> sure there's enough liquid added to the pot.Â* Add some chicken stock if
>>> needed.Â* Cook this until the barley is tender.Â* Lamb and barley are
>>> natural pairings.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Sounds great, however naturally I'd use veal shanks... instead of sage
>> I'd use a couple three bay leaves and some marjoram.Â* I'll have to
>> research as I've never seen any veal at the markets I've been to
>> around here.Â* My favorite veal dish is breast of veal.
>>

> Can you really not find cuts of veal?

He should try shopping in Bothell. You can't get anything there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2019 7:44 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-06-22 6:08 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> Sounds great, however naturally I'd use veal shanks... instead of sage
>>> I'd use a couple three bay leaves and some marjoram.Â* I'll have to
>>> research as I've never seen any veal at the markets I've been to
>>> around here.Â* My favorite veal dish is breast of veal.
>>>

>> Can you really not find cuts of veal?
>>

> He should try shopping in Bothell.Â* You can't get anything there.

No need to drag Bothell into it. I find it hard to believe he can't get
any cut of veal at his grocery store. I susect he hasn't asked the guy
(or gal) behind the meat counter if they have any veal.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 19:51:42 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/22/2019 7:44 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Can you really not find cuts of veal?
>>>

>> He should try shopping in Bothell.* You can't get anything there.
>>

>No need to drag Bothell into it. I find it hard to believe he can't get
>any cut of veal at his grocery store. I susect he hasn't asked the guy
>(or gal) behind the meat counter if they have any veal.
>
>Jill

I'm sure I can find a market that sells veal closer to Albany, haven't
looked, just hasn't been important to me.... I don't know if my wife
likes veal
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> He should try shopping in Bothell.* You can't get anything there.
>>>

>>No need to drag Bothell into it. I find it hard to believe he can't get
>>any cut of veal at his grocery store. I susect he hasn't asked the guy
>>(or gal) behind the meat counter if they have any veal.
>>
>>Jill

>I'm sure I can find a market that sells veal closer to Albany, haven't
>looked, just hasn't been important to me.... I don't know if my wife
>likes veal

After 30 years?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>No need to drag Bothell into it. I find it hard to believe he can't get
>>>any cut of veal at his grocery store. I susect he hasn't asked the guy
>>>(or gal) behind the meat counter if they have any veal.
>>>
>>>Jill

>>I'm sure I can find a market that sells veal closer to Albany, haven't
>>looked, just hasn't been important to me.... I don't know if my wife
>>likes veal

>After 30 years?

Ssomething we've never discussed, we have been very happy with beef
and pork. We both like seafood but we don't cook it at home because
it's stinks, we don't like our abode smelling of halibut.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 8:01:47 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> We both like seafood but we don't cook it at home because
> it's stinks, we don't like our abode smelling of halibut.

If you have a grill you can cook fish on it either directly on the grates or
in a fry pan. If you have an electric skillet you can us that on your deck
to cook fish thus eliminating any indoor cooked fish odor. If you have a
hot plate that would also work out on your deck.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 18:24:42 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 8:01:47 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> We both like seafood but we don't cook it at home because
>> it's stinks, we don't like our abode smelling of halibut.
>>

>If you have a grill you can cook fish on it either directly on the grates or
>in a fry pan. If you have an electric skillet you can us that on your deck
>to cook fish thus eliminating any indoor cooked fish odor. If you have a
>hot plate that would also work out on your deck.

I never mind smelling what we cooked. Our house isn't a museum. But
maybe it's different if you cook meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 8:28:44 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> I never mind smelling what we cooked. Our house isn't a museum. But
> maybe it's different if you cook meat.

Some things really seem to linger in the house after the meal is long gone.
Cooking it outside eliminates that problem.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 18:33:01 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 8:28:44 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> I never mind smelling what we cooked. Our house isn't a museum. But
>> maybe it's different if you cook meat.
>>

>Some things really seem to linger in the house after the meal is long gone.
>Cooking it outside eliminates that problem.

I never mind it. If I like to eat I, I won't mind smelling it. Maybe
deep frying is an exception.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> He should try shopping in Bothell.Â* You can't get anything there.
>>>

>> No need to drag Bothell into it. I find it hard to believe he can't get
>> any cut of veal at his grocery store. I susect he hasn't asked the guy
>> (or gal) behind the meat counter if they have any veal.
>>
>> Jill

> I'm sure I can find a market that sells veal closer to Albany, haven't
> looked, just hasn't been important to me.... I don't know if my wife
> likes veal

If you're not interested and she's not interested, no reason to look for it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> wrote:
> > I'm sure I can find a market that sells veal closer to Albany, haven't
> > looked, just hasn't been important to me.... I don't know if my wife
> > likes veal
> >

> If you're not interested and she's not interested, no reason to look for it.

Even among meat eaters I suspect that veal is probably very
politically incorrect and unpopular these days.

Take a few minutes to read all of this. Pretty sad stuff.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veal

Did you read all of that? Very cruel stuff for young animals.

All that said, sadly it seems to be the norm for many animals
that are raised commercially for our meat. To raise animals for
our food is one thing but to treat them cruelly as so many are is
just wrong. It's very wrong. What the hell is wrong with us?

Animals raised for human food should at the very least be given a
happy life from birth until the end. Sickening actually how so
many are treated.

In the old days, humans had to hunt for meat. At least those
animals had a normal life before being killed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2019 8:02 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> wrote:
>>> I'm sure I can find a market that sells veal closer to Albany, haven't
>>> looked, just hasn't been important to me.... I don't know if my wife
>>> likes veal
>>>

>> If you're not interested and she's not interested, no reason to look for it.

> Even among meat eaters I suspect that veal is probably very
> politically incorrect and unpopular these days.
>
> Take a few minutes to read all of this. Pretty sad stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veal

> Did you read all of that? Very cruel stuff for young animals.
>
> All that said, sadly it seems to be the norm for many animals
> that are raised commercially for our meat. To raise animals for
> our food is one thing but to treat them cruelly as so many are is
> just wrong. It's very wrong. What the hell is wrong with us?
>
> Animals raised for human food should at the very least be given a
> happy life from birth until the end. Sickening actually how so
> many are treated.
>
> In the old days, humans had to hunt for meat. At least those
> animals had a normal life before being killed.

Are you trying to turn me into a vegetarian? Not gonna happen, no
matter how many horrific videos you show me. I don't agree with
inhumane treatment of animals but face it, we raise them to be *food*,
not pets. Why does the age matter? Lamb tastes better than mutton.
Much more tender, too. Same thing with veal. Although I do love a good
mature beef steak.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 18:24:42 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 8:01:47 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> >>
> >> We both like seafood but we don't cook it at home because
> >> it's stinks, we don't like our abode smelling of halibut.
> >>

> >If you have a grill you can cook fish on it either directly on the grates or
> >in a fry pan. If you have an electric skillet you can us that on your deck
> >to cook fish thus eliminating any indoor cooked fish odor. If you have a
> >hot plate that would also work out on your deck.

> I never mind smelling what we cooked. Our house isn't a museum. But
> maybe it's different if you cook meat.

All silly complaints, imo. If you enjoyed the meal, the lingering
smell should be pleasant. Lingering cooking odor only lasts a day
or so anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

jmcquown wrote:

> wrote:
> > I'm sure I can find a market that sells veal closer to Albany, haven't
> > looked, just hasn't been important to me.... I don't know if my wife
> > likes veal
> >

> If you're not interested and she's not interested, no reason to look for
> it.

Even among meat eaters I suspect that veal is probably very
politically incorrect and unpopular these days.

Take a few minutes to read all of this. Pretty sad stuff.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veal

Did you read all of that? Very cruel stuff for young animals.

All that said, sadly it seems to be the norm for many animals
that are raised commercially for our meat. To raise animals for
our food is one thing but to treat them cruelly as so many are is
just wrong. It's very wrong. What the hell is wrong with us?

Animals raised for human food should at the very least be given a
happy life from birth until the end. Sickening actually how so
many are treated.

In the old days, humans had to hunt for meat. At least those
animals had a normal life before being killed.

====

I agree, Gary. I am not against meat eating but at least allow them
to have some kind of happy life first.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2019 8:45 AM, Gary wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 18:24:42 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>>> If you have a grill you can cook fish on it either directly on the grates or
>>> in a fry pan. If you have an electric skillet you can us that on your deck
>>> to cook fish thus eliminating any indoor cooked fish odor. If you have a
>>> hot plate that would also work out on your deck.

>> I never mind smelling what we cooked. Our house isn't a museum. But
>> maybe it's different if you cook meat.

> All silly complaints, imo. If you enjoyed the meal, the lingering
> smell should be pleasant. Lingering cooking odor only lasts a day
> or so anyway.

Ditto. It also helps if you have and use a vent hood. There are rarely
lingering cooking odors in my kitchen. Nothing smells unpleasant unless
it was burned.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Jun 2019 itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>On June 22, 2019 Bruce wrote:
>>
>> I never mind smelling what we cooked. Our house isn't a museum. But
>> maybe it's different if you cook meat.
>>

>Some things really seem to linger in the house after the meal is long gone.
>Cooking it outside eliminates that problem.

That's the truth. Cooking some foods permeate everything in the house
including the walls... cooking fish is the worst... my wife couldn't
go to work with her business suits stinking of shrimp. Many foods
need to be cooked outdoors. If we wanted fish we'd go out to eat...
fish even stinks up a grill. Even cooking some veggies indoors reek
so bad it'd take a case of room deodorizer to get rid of some stench,
cabbage is a stinker.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2019 8:13 PM, Sheldon wrote:
> I don't know if my wife likes veal

She looks like she'd prefer some re-fried beans.

https://imgur.com/a/BTxhlbh <----LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 11:45:04 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 18:33:01 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 8:28:44 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> I never mind smelling what we cooked. Our house isn't a museum. But
>>> maybe it's different if you cook meat.
>>>

>>Some things really seem to linger in the house after the meal is long gone.
>>Cooking it outside eliminates that problem.

>I never mind it. If I like to eat I, I won't mind smelling it. Maybe
>deep frying is an exception.

Most food cooking aromas are nice while the food is cooking but not
shortly afterwards, that's why restaurant kitchens have self closing
doors and powerful exhaust fans... I don't want to bed a woman who
smells like the fish she fried yesterday.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 18:08:08 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/22/2019 3:06 PM, wrote:
>> On 22 Jun 2019 jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> Nothing difficult about this delicious dish. It's slow cooking without
>>> using a slow cooker/crock pot. Brown 2 lamb shanks in a deep pot in a
>>> little hot olive oil. Remove from the pot and set aside on a plate to
>>> drain. In the same pot saute a miripoix of minced onion, celery,
>>> garlic until tender. Feel free to add bell pepper or other vegetables.
>>> I add a dab of tomato paste. Stir, stir. Deglaze the pan with a little
>>> white wine. Add the lamb shanks back to the pan. Add chicken broth or
>>> stock to cover well. Season with salt, pepper, thyme and sage. Cover
>>> and simmer for hours on low heat until the lamb is fork tender and the
>>> liquid is reduced.
>>>
>>> At that point ramp up the heat and add 1/4 cup of pearled barley. Make
>>> sure there's enough liquid added to the pot. Add some chicken stock if
>>> needed. Cook this until the barley is tender. Lamb and barley are
>>> natural pairings.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Sounds great, however naturally I'd use veal shanks... instead of sage
>> I'd use a couple three bay leaves and some marjoram. I'll have to
>> research as I've never seen any veal at the markets I've been to
>> around here. My favorite veal dish is breast of veal.
>>

>Can you really not find cuts of veal?
>
>Jill

there is only one(at least there was, don't know now that Albertsons
has opened their new market) store in my city where veal is for sale.
That is also the only store that carries lamb other than lamb chops.
It's probably due to what the tastes of the population are needed to
support the variety. Now that we are being besieged by incomers I
guess our choices will increase.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> No need to drag Bothell into it. I find it hard to believe he can't get
>>> any cut of veal at his grocery store. I susect he hasn't asked the guy
>>> (or gal) behind the meat counter if they have any veal.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I'm sure I can find a market that sells veal closer to Albany, haven't
>> looked, just hasn't been important to me.... I don't know if my wife
>> likes veal
>>

>If you're not interested and she's not interested, no reason to look for it.
>
>Jill

I can probably find a market close to Albany that sells veal but I'm
not about to make a 60-70 mile round trip just for a piece of veal...
and who knows how good/fresh it is? The reason why markets around
here don't sell veal is very likely that veal can be expensive, veal
chops can cost more per pound than lamb chops... not many will pay the
price and not many like veal so there'd be a lot of spoilage. I can't
remember the last time I've seen veal on a restaurant menu... the
kosher delis in NYC used to feature veal dishes but there aren't many
kosher delis in NYC anymore, perhaps fewer than the fingers of one
hand

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 08:02:07 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> wrote:
>> > I'm sure I can find a market that sells veal closer to Albany, haven't
>> > looked, just hasn't been important to me.... I don't know if my wife
>> > likes veal
>> >

>> If you're not interested and she's not interested, no reason to look for it.

>Even among meat eaters I suspect that veal is probably very
>politically incorrect and unpopular these days.

No different than lamb.

>Take a few minutes to read all of this. Pretty sad stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veal

>Did you read all of that? Very cruel stuff for young animals.

No different than preditors that primarily go after the young.

>All that said, sadly it seems to be the norm for many animals
>that are raised commercially for our meat. To raise animals for
>our food is one thing but to treat them cruelly as so many are is
>just wrong. It's very wrong. What the hell is wrong with us?
>
>Animals raised for human food should at the very least be given a
>happy life from birth until the end. Sickening actually how so
>many are treated.

Animals in the wild have no concept of human happiness, and most all
meet their demise early and from a horrid illness with lots of
suffering... for sick animals happiness comes when a preditor takes
them. You need to be realistic, many animals in the wild contract
terminal illnesses and get no medical attention, for those a quick
death is a gift.

>In the old days, humans had to hunt for meat. At least those
>animals had a normal life before being killed.

Where I live I'd guesstimate that more than half the meat consumed is
hunted/fished, and fresh roadkill. That said most critters hit by
vehicals dont get instant death, they slink off to suffer in agony for
several days until the end... not a day passes when I'm driving that I
don't see fresh roadkill of all sorts, and many of them... most
critters are nocturnal so in darkness is when they meet vehicals.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2019 8:45 AM, Gary wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 18:24:42 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>>> If you have a grill you can cook fish on it either directly on the grates

I prefer a grill basket; many types of *mild* fish fall apart when
cooked directly on a grate.

>>> in a fry pan. If you have an electric skillet you can us that on your deck
>>> to cook fish thus eliminating any indoor cooked fish odor. If you have a
>>> hot plate that would also work out on your deck.

>> I never mind smelling what we cooked. Our house isn't a museum. But
>> maybe it's different if you cook meat.

> All silly complaints, imo. If you enjoyed the meal, the lingering
> smell should be pleasant. Lingering cooking odor only lasts a day
> or so anyway.

It helps if you have a good vent hood and wash the filters. Another
factor is opening the windows. Sheldon has stated many times he never
opens the windows in his house. It's no wonder cooking odors get trapped.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 6:46:32 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> >> On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 18:24:42 -0700 (PDT), "

> I prefer a grill basket; many types of *mild* fish fall apart when
> cooked directly on a grate.

I've got one of those grill 'skillets.' It got a zillion holes drilled in the
bottom. Unlike the one in this picture, mine has no coating on it.

https://i.postimg.cc/CxvXGv3T/Grill-Skillet.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"> wrote:

> On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 6:46:32 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> > I prefer a grill basket; many types of *mild* fish fall apart when
> > cooked directly on a grate.
> >

> I've got one of those grill 'skillets.' It got a zillion holes drilled in the
> bottom. Unlike the one in this picture, mine has no coating on it.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/CxvXGv3T/Grill-Skillet.jpg

Since I pay little attention to much of anything, I found out last
night that they make outdoor griddles from a accidental commercial.
Fish can't fall through them. I use my smallish indoor stove griddle
all the time.
<https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/product-category/griddles/>

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> > All silly complaints, imo. If you enjoyed the meal, the lingering
> > smell should be pleasant. Lingering cooking odor only lasts a day
> > or so anyway.
> >

> It helps if you have a good vent hood and wash the filters. Another
> factor is opening the windows. Sheldon has stated many times he never
> opens the windows in his house. It's no wonder cooking odors get trapped.

I always open my windows often anyway but definitely when cooking
large. Fresh air is your friend.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 00:10:14 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell

"> wrote:

>> On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 6:46:32 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

>> > I prefer a grill basket; many types of *mild* fish fall apart when
>> > cooked directly on a grate.
>> >

>> I've got one of those grill 'skillets.' It got a zillion holes drilled in the
>> bottom. Unlike the one in this picture, mine has no coating on it.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/CxvXGv3T/Grill-Skillet.jpg

>Since I pay little attention to much of anything, I found out last
>night that they make outdoor griddles from a accidental commercial.
>Fish can't fall through them. I use my smallish indoor stove griddle
>all the time.
><https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/product-category/griddles/>
>
>leo

A lot of people grill fish wrapped in lettuce/cabbage leaves. Hispanic
markets sell banana leaves for wrapping and cooking delicate foods.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 2:10:18 AM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >,
> "> wrote:
>

> > I've got one of those grill 'skillets.' It got a zillion holes drilled in the
> > bottom. Unlike the one in this picture, mine has no coating on it.
> >
> > https://i.postimg.cc/CxvXGv3T/Grill-Skillet.jpg

> Since I pay little attention to much of anything, I found out last
> night that they make outdoor griddles from a accidental commercial.
> Fish can't fall through them. I use my smallish indoor stove griddle
> all the time.
> <https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/product-category/griddles/>
>
> leo

Which one of these are yours? These all looked like huge outside or even
commercial type griddles.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"> wrote:

> Which one of these are yours? These all looked like huge outside or even
> commercial type griddles.

I have a 1987 Jenn-Air stove with 9 1/2" x 18" griddle. It also has a
grill that replaces the griddle, but I prefer the griddle. Grilling
with electricity isn't my idea of grilling.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 5:37:46 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >,
> "> wrote:
>
> > Which one of these are yours? These all looked like huge outside or even
> > commercial type griddles.

> I have a 1987 Jenn-Air stove with 9 1/2" x 18" griddle. It also has a
> grill that replaces the griddle, but I prefer the griddle. Grilling
> with electricity isn't my idea of grilling.
>
> leo

My gas stove has 5 burners and the center burner is for the griddle that came
with the stove. I've only used it maybe two times. I fried up a pound of
breakfast sausage this past Sunday and didn't think of it but maybe I should
have drug it out and give it another go. My griddle is about the same size
as yours.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"> wrote:

> My gas stove has 5 burners and the center burner is for the griddle that came
> with the stove. I've only used it maybe two times. I fried up a pound of
> breakfast sausage this past Sunday and didn't think of it but maybe I should
> have drug it out and give it another go. My griddle is about the same size
> as yours.

Use a hefty, stiff spatula to scrape the crud off the griddle when
you're done, and it's still pretty hot. Then wipe with a damp cloth.
Don't pretend to make it like new. Think of seasoning a cast iron
skillet.
Any bacteria that's left burns off when you use it again. Just like a
cast iron skillet.
2 cents.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 27, 2019 at 5:06:54 AM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> Use a hefty, stiff spatula to scrape the crud off the griddle when
> you're done, and it's still pretty hot. Then wipe with a damp cloth.
> Don't pretend to make it like new. Think of seasoning a cast iron
> skillet.
> Any bacteria that's left burns off when you use it again. Just like a
> cast iron skillet.
> 2 cents.
>
> leo

Yes, same as an outdoor grill whether gas or charcoal. Anything left living
on the grates are soon history when the grill is running at volcanic
temperatures.