Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A brief history of the tomato in Europe

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 1:58:22 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> I think from what I read she was mentally lacking but I also think,
> given the number of children previously removed from her, there should
> be enforced sterilisation.

I'm all for it for males and females. Truly, some people should not be allowed
to reproduce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 8:21:48 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 12:43:55 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 7:34:09 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> > >
> > > Gun ownership probably does not stop crime in the USA. But a well placed
> > > bullet will stop THAT intruder from ever breaking in your house or anyone
> > > else's house ever again.

> > A well placed bullet will stop a guy from ever testifying against you in a court of law too!
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Nf1zWJzTU
> >

> Alright! I bet she didn't think that parrot would spill the beans and land
> her stupid butt in prison. She should have gotten the death penalty.

Her lawyer must have been a real bird-brain if he couldn't keep her ass out of jail. If I was a judge, having a parrot or any animal as a witness just wouldn't fly in my court.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 12:16:13 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 1:58:22 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>>
>> I think from what I read she was mentally lacking but I also think,
>> given the number of children previously removed from her, there should
>> be enforced sterilisation.
>>

>I'm all for it for males and females. Truly, some people should not be allowed
>to reproduce.

What would the criteria be? IQ? Income? Looks?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-24 3:19 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 8:21:48 AM UTC-10,
> wrote:
>> On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 12:43:55 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>>>

>>> A well placed bullet will stop a guy from ever testifying against
>>> you in a court of law too!
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Nf1zWJzTU
>>>

>> Alright! I bet she didn't think that parrot would spill the beans
>> and land her stupid butt in prison. She should have gotten the
>> death penalty.

> Her lawyer must have been a real bird-brain if he couldn't keep her
> ass out of jail. If I was a judge, having a parrot or any animal as a
> witness just wouldn't fly in my court.

I watched the video and there was nothing about the bird giving sworn
testimony. I got the impression that the bird's account led the cops to
doubt the wife's story, and you can be sure there was other evidence.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 10:35:48 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-06-24 3:19 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> > On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 8:21:48 AM UTC-10,
> > wrote:

> >> Alright! I bet she didn't think that parrot would spill the beans
> >> and land her stupid butt in prison. She should have gotten the
> >> death penalty.

> > Her lawyer must have been a real bird-brain if he couldn't keep her
> > ass out of jail. If I was a judge, having a parrot or any animal as a
> > witness just wouldn't fly in my court.
> >

> I watched the video and there was nothing about the bird giving sworn
> testimony. I got the impression that the bird's account led the cops to
> doubt the wife's story, and you can be sure there was other evidence.

Let us hope that that is the case.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> The other place where gated communities are common is South Africa. I
>>> did read an article recently (think it was in the Guardian) about how
>>> the NRA is in financial trouble. That would be good if they lost
>>> their stranglehold on the gun situation in the USA.

>> I have to disagree again with you Lucretia. Look at history. Once
>> your government makes all guns illegal, they have total control
>> over the population except for the bad guys. Even the bad guys
>> will still get their guns - they will just cost more to buy on
>> the black market.
>>
>> Guns used in crimes are a very small percentage of the total gun
>> owners. A criminal would think twice about breaking into a house
>> that has a NRA sticker near the door or windows.
>>
>> Remember too - I don't own any firearms. I like to shoot them but
>> ranges are too far from me here to warrant buying one for that. I
>> don't feel any urgency to buy one for protection either. That
>> said, if I heard someone breaking into my house one night, it
>> sure would be comforting to have a nice backup rather than a
>> hunting knife.
>>
>> Firearms are here to stay regardless of new restrictive laws.
>> Wrong to take them away from the "good guys" that only shoot
>> people in self defense. Better to make more harsh penalties for
>> using one to commit a crime.

> You sound like the voice of the NRA!

If USians think that Sandy Hook is an acceptable price to maintain their
gun policy, who are we to judge?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I have to disagree again with you Lucretia. Look at history. Once
>>> your government makes all guns illegal, they have total control
>>> over the population except for the bad guys. Even the bad guys
>>> will still get their guns - they will just cost more to buy on
>>> the black market.
>>>
>>> Guns used in crimes are a very small percentage of the total gun
>>> owners. A criminal would think twice about breaking into a house
>>> that has a NRA sticker near the door or windows.
>>>
>>> Remember too - I don't own any firearms. I like to shoot them but
>>> ranges are too far from me here to warrant buying one for that. I
>>> don't feel any urgency to buy one for protection either. That
>>> said, if I heard someone breaking into my house one night, it
>>> sure would be comforting to have a nice backup rather than a
>>> hunting knife.
>>>
>>> Firearms are here to stay regardless of new restrictive laws.
>>> Wrong to take them away from the "good guys" that only shoot
>>> people in self defense. Better to make more harsh penalties for
>>> using one to commit a crime.

>> You sound like the voice of the NRA!
>>

>If USians think that Sandy Hook is an acceptable price to maintain their
>gun policy, who are we to judge?

Yes, I read there is the final disrespect for the grief of the parents
that they are making the whole thing up, Sandy Hook was fake news!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I have to disagree again with you Lucretia. Look at history. Once
>>> your government makes all guns illegal, they have total control
>>> over the population except for the bad guys. Even the bad guys
>>> will still get their guns - they will just cost more to buy on
>>> the black market.
>>>
>>> Guns used in crimes are a very small percentage of the total gun
>>> owners. A criminal would think twice about breaking into a house
>>> that has a NRA sticker near the door or windows.
>>>
>>> Remember too - I don't own any firearms. I like to shoot them but
>>> ranges are too far from me here to warrant buying one for that. I
>>> don't feel any urgency to buy one for protection either. That
>>> said, if I heard someone breaking into my house one night, it
>>> sure would be comforting to have a nice backup rather than a
>>> hunting knife.
>>>
>>> Firearms are here to stay regardless of new restrictive laws.
>>> Wrong to take them away from the "good guys" that only shoot
>>> people in self defense. Better to make more harsh penalties for
>>> using one to commit a crime.

>> You sound like the voice of the NRA!
>>

> If USians think that Sandy Hook is an acceptable price to maintain their
> gun policy, who are we to judge?

Should have been changed 200 years ago. There are enough guns to keep
criminals supplied for centuries. If the bad guys want one, they will
get them.

Stop all gun making, gun sales and confiscate what you can but there
will be guns around for a long time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-25 6:25 a.m., Gary wrote:
> wrote:
>>
>> graham wrote:
>>> If USians think that Sandy Hook is an acceptable price to maintain their
>>> gun policy, who are we to judge?

>> Yes, I read there is the final disrespect for the grief of the parents
>> that they are making the whole thing up, Sandy Hook was fake news!

> You non-thinkers. Sandy Hook was not fake news but more
> restrictive gun laws would NOT have prevented it. Get rid of your
> cars. They kill more people each year than guns do. Learn to ride
> a bike or just not travel.
>
> Go after the evil people, not the tools that they use to kill.

QUESTION:
You're a policeman, on duty by yourself.
You are walking on a deserted street late at night.
Suddenly, an armed man with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks
eyes with you,
screams something that sounds like obscenities, raises the knife and
lunges at you.
You are carrying your truncheon and are an expert in using it.
However, you have only a split second to react before he reaches you.
What do you do?

ANSWERS:

Australian Police Officer:
BANG !

American Police Officer:
BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG !
'Click'...Reload... BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG !
BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG !

Glasgow Police Officer:
"Haw, Jimmie....! Drop the wee knifie reight noo, unless ye want it
stuck up yer arse!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 08:28:55 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-06-25 6:25 a.m., Gary wrote:
>> wrote:

>>> Yes, I read there is the final disrespect for the grief of the parents
>>> that they are making the whole thing up, Sandy Hook was fake news!

>> You non-thinkers. Sandy Hook was not fake news but more
>> restrictive gun laws would NOT have prevented it. Get rid of your
>> cars. They kill more people each year than guns do. Learn to ride
>> a bike or just not travel.
>>
>> Go after the evil people, not the tools that they use to kill.
>>

>QUESTION:
> You're a policeman, on duty by yourself.
>You are walking on a deserted street late at night.
>Suddenly, an armed man with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks
>eyes with you,
>screams something that sounds like obscenities, raises the knife and
>lunges at you.
>You are carrying your truncheon and are an expert in using it.
>However, you have only a split second to react before he reaches you.
>What do you do?
>
>ANSWERS:
>
>Australian Police Officer:
>BANG !
>
>American Police Officer:
>BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG !
>'Click'...Reload... BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG !
>BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG !
>
>Glasgow Police Officer:
>"Haw, Jimmie....! Drop the wee knifie reight noo, unless ye want it
>stuck up yer arse!

Love it
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-25 9:27 a.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/25/2019 12:16 AM, graham wrote:
>
>> If USians think that Sandy Hook is an acceptable price to maintain
>> their gun policy, who are we to judge?

> Should have been changed 200 years ago.Â* There are enough guns to keep
> criminals supplied for centuries.Â* If the bad guys want one, they will
> get them.
>
> Stop all gun making, gun sales and confiscate what you can but there
> will be guns around for a long time.

The anti handgun crowd here are under the impression that criminals get
their guns by stealing them from legal owners, or buying them from
people stole them from legal owners, but the statistics proved them
wrong. They may have been stolen in another country, but they were
smuggled into Canada.

It is typical of them to use false information to support their
emotional issues about guns. A while back the Coalition for Gun Control
had a page on their website about the firearms incidents involving
children. There were only about three dozen incidents reported and they
spanned a period of more than 25 years in order to get enough incidents
to make it look like an issue. Some of those incidents involved replica
guns, BBguns and pellet guns, which are not firearms. Some of the others
were threats by kids that they were going to go home and get gun and
come back and shoot someone, though none of them actually came back with
a gun, and goodness knows if there was even a gun at the house. They
were non incidents.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-25 8:46 a.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-06-25 9:27 a.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 6/25/2019 12:16 AM, graham wrote:
>>
>>> If USians think that Sandy Hook is an acceptable price to maintain
>>> their gun policy, who are we to judge?

>> Should have been changed 200 years ago.Â* There are enough guns to keep
>> criminals supplied for centuries.Â* If the bad guys want one, they will
>> get them.
>>
>> Stop all gun making, gun sales and confiscate what you can but there
>> will be guns around for a long time.

> The anti handgun crowd here are under the impression that criminals get
> their guns by stealing them from legal owners, or buying them from
> people stole them from legal owners, but the statistics proved them
> wrong. They may have been stolen in another country, but they were
> smuggled into Canada.
>
> It isÂ* typical of them to use false information to support their
> emotional issues about guns. A while back the Coalition for Gun Control
> had a page on their website about the firearms incidents involving
> children.Â* There were only about three dozen incidents reported and they
> spanned a period of more than 25 years in order to get enough incidents
> to make it look like an issue.Â* Some of those incidents involved replica
> guns, BBguns and pellet guns, which are not firearms. Some of the others
> were threats by kids that they were going to go home and get gun and
> come back and shoot someone, though none of them actually came back with
> a gun, and goodness knows if there was even a gun at the house.Â* They
> were non incidents.

Glad to learn they didn't happen!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-25 11:01 a.m., graham wrote:
> On 2019-06-25 8:46 a.m., Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Should have been changed 200 years ago.Â* There are enough guns to
>>> keep criminals supplied for centuries.Â* If the bad guys want one,
>>> they will get them.
>>>
>>> Stop all gun making, gun sales and confiscate what you can but there
>>> will be guns around for a long time.

>> The anti handgun crowd here are under the impression that criminals
>> get their guns by stealing them from legal owners, or buying them from
>> people stole them from legal owners, but the statistics proved them
>> wrong. They may have been stolen in another country, but they were
>> smuggled into Canada.
>>
>> It isÂ* typical of them to use false information to support their
>> emotional issues about guns. A while back the Coalition for Gun
>> Control had a page on their website about the firearms incidents
>> involving children.Â* There were only about three dozen incidents
>> reported and they spanned a period of more than 25 years in order to
>> get enough incidents to make it look like an issue.Â* Some of those
>> incidents involved replica guns, BBguns and pellet guns, which are not
>> firearms. Some of the others were threats by kids that they were going
>> to go home and get gun and come back and shoot someone, though none of
>> them actually came back with a gun, and goodness knows if there was
>> even a gun at the house.Â* They were non incidents.
>>

> Glad to learn they didn't happen!

Of course it is good that it did not happen. That is why they should not
have been included in the list of firearms incidents involving children.
The thing that ticked me off was that they took what could be a serious
issue and padded the numbers to make it look like it was. They must
count on people simply looking at the headers and not bothering to read
the factoids included. If they had all been firearms incidents and had
occurred over the period of a year or two it would have been an issue.
It took of a span of about 25 years to make a list that looked
significant, and then it was padded with incidents were there were no
firearms and some that were just childish, idle threats. When they
throw crap like that into their argument they lose all credibility.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 11:21:56 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

snip

>>> It is* typical of them to use false information to support their
>>> emotional issues about guns. A while back the Coalition for Gun
>>> Control had a page on their website about the firearms incidents
>>> involving children.* There were only about three dozen incidents
>>> reported and they spanned a period of more than 25 years in order to
>>> get enough incidents to make it look like an issue.* Some of those
>>> incidents involved replica guns, BBguns and pellet guns, which are not
>>> firearms. Some of the others were threats by kids that they were going
>>> to go home and get gun and come back and shoot someone, though none of
>>> them actually came back with a gun, and goodness knows if there was
>>> even a gun at the house.* They were non incidents.

snip

This study shows over 1300 children under 17 a year killed by guns and
many more injured.
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-finds-n774086

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 22:16:55 -0600, graham > wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 06:22:58 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>>>
>>> Guns used in crimes are a very small percentage of the total gun
>>> owners. A criminal would think twice about breaking into a house
>>> that has a NRA sticker near the door or windows.

When you see a sticker that says NRA (National Redneck
Association?) or "Protected by Smith & Wesson", you know there are guns
inside that are easy to carry and easy to sell, easier than a big screen
TV.

--
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 08:25:06 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> You non-thinkers. Sandy Hook was not fake news but more
> restrictive gun laws would NOT have prevented it. Get rid of your
> cars. They kill more people each year than guns do. Learn to ride
> a bike or just not travel.

Newsflash! There are more cars than guns. Cars are used more often
that guns.

> Go after the evil people, not the tools that they use to kill.

What about the crazy people?

--
Be just and if you can't be just, be arbitrary. - William S.
Burroughs, the Naked Lunch
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> You non-thinkers. Sandy Hook was not fake news but more
>>> restrictive gun laws would NOT have prevented it. Get rid of your
>>> cars. They kill more people each year than guns do. Learn to ride
>>> a bike or just not travel.
>>>
>>> Go after the evil people, not the tools that they use to kill.
>>>

>>QUESTION:
>> You're a policeman, on duty by yourself.
>>You are walking on a deserted street late at night.
>>Suddenly, an armed man with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks
>>eyes with you,
>>screams something that sounds like obscenities, raises the knife and
>>lunges at you.
>>You are carrying your truncheon and are an expert in using it.
>>However, you have only a split second to react before he reaches you.
>>What do you do?
>>
>>ANSWERS:
>>
>>Australian Police Officer:
>>BANG !
>>
>>American Police Officer:
>>BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG !
>>'Click'...Reload... BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG !
>>BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG !
>>
>>Glasgow Police Officer:
>>"Haw, Jimmie....! Drop the wee knifie reight noo, unless ye want it
>>stuck up yer arse!

>Love it

But will you go to the police officer's funeral?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 10:36:49 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 11:21:56 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>snip

>snip
>

>This study shows over 1300 children under 17 a year killed by guns and
>many more injured.
>https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-finds-n774086
>
>Janet US

You have to be wrong Janet, Dave knows everything and he says it isn't
so!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-25 12:36 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 11:21:56 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> snip

> snip
>

> This study shows over 1300 children under 17 a year killed by guns
> and many more injured.
> https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-finds-n774086

That may be the case in the US, but this was a Canadian organization
dealing with Canadian data, or in this case,factoids.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-25 2:34 p.m., wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 10:36:49 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 11:21:56 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>> snip

>> snip
>>

>> This study shows over 1300 children under 17 a year killed by guns and
>> many more injured.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-finds-n774086

>> Janet US

> You have to be wrong Janet, Dave knows everything and he says it isn't
> so!

Oh fer crissakes, if you have information and the brains to articulate
you could try making an intelligent contribution instead of a stupid
insult. For someone who usually demonstrates an anti American you might
have recognized that I was talking about a Canadian organization and
Janet cited an American report.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 18:42:10 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-06-25 2:34 p.m., wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 10:36:49 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 11:21:56 -0400, Dave Smith
>>>
>>> snip

>>> snip
>>>

>>> This study shows over 1300 children under 17 a year killed by guns and
>>> many more injured.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-finds-n774086

>>> Janet US

>> You have to be wrong Janet, Dave knows everything and he says it isn't
>> so!
>>

>Oh fer crissakes, if you have information and the brains to articulate
>you could try making an intelligent contribution instead of a stupid
>insult. For someone who usually demonstrates an anti American you might
>have recognized that I was talking about a Canadian organization and
>Janet cited an American report.

Deciphering your post, I am not anti American, I am anti guns etc. You
should have stated you were talking about Canada, like Janet I took it
you were following on the previous posts about US gun laws or lack
thereof.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 10:36:49 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 11:21:56 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
> >
> >snip

> >snip
> >

> >This study shows over 1300 children under 17 a year killed by guns and
> >many more injured.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-finds-n774086

> >Janet US

> You have to be wrong Janet, Dave knows everything and he says it isn't
> so!

David is talking about Canada where he lives. The Coalition for Gun
Control is Canadian.

Janet US quoted the appalling statistics from, and about, USA.

Gun deaths in USA are vastly higher than any other first-world
countries.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 00:20:04 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 10:36:49 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 11:21:56 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> >snip

>> >snip
>> >

>> >This study shows over 1300 children under 17 a year killed by guns and
>> >many more injured.
>> >https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-finds-n774086
>> >
>> >Janet US

>> You have to be wrong Janet, Dave knows everything and he says it isn't
>> so!

> David is talking about Canada where he lives. The Coalition for Gun
>Control is Canadian.
>
> Janet US quoted the appalling statistics from, and about, USA.
>
> Gun deaths in USA are vastly higher than any other first-world
>countries.

Pro-gun Americans would say that this is because in the US all the
criminals are shooting each other and this is a good thing. You'd
think that, by now, there wouldn't be any criminals left alive, but
anyway.

> Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 00:20:04 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 10:36:49 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 11:21:56 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> >snip

>> >snip
>> >

>> >This study shows over 1300 children under 17 a year killed by guns and
>> >many more injured.
>> >https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-finds-n774086
>> >
>> >Janet US

>> You have to be wrong Janet, Dave knows everything and he says it isn't
>> so!

> David is talking about Canada where he lives. The Coalition for Gun
>Control is Canadian.
>
> Janet US quoted the appalling statistics from, and about, USA.
>
> Gun deaths in USA are vastly higher than any other first-world
>countries.
>
> Janet UK

The study is not exclusive to the USA.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 17:33:56 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-06-25 12:36 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 11:21:56 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>> snip

>> snip
>>

>> This study shows over 1300 children under 17 a year killed by guns
>> and many more injured.
>> https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-finds-n774086
>>

>That may be the case in the US, but this was a Canadian organization
>dealing with Canadian data, or in this case,factoids.

If you had read the study report you would have seen that it is not
exclusive to the USA. I don't dispute that the USA is awful. But
children deaths cross borders. School shootings cross borders. There
is a current mind set in the world today that o.k.s violence and
ugliness. Guns are a definite part of that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-25 7:29 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 00:20:04 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> says...
>>>

>> David is talking about Canada where he lives. The Coalition for Gun
>> Control is Canadian.
>>
>> Janet US quoted the appalling statistics from, and about, USA.
>>
>> Gun deaths in USA are vastly higher than any other first-world
>> countries.
>>
>> Janet UK

> The study is not exclusive to the USA.

It isn't???
Let me quote from your source:

€śFirearm-related deaths are the third leading cause of death overall
among U.S. children aged 1 to 17 years."

"Firearm-related deaths are the third leading cause of death overall
among U.S. children aged 1 to 17 years."

€śFirearm-related deaths are the third leading cause of death overall
among U.S. children aged 1 to 17 years, surpassing the number of deaths
from pediatric congenital anomalies, heart disease, influenza and/or
pneumonia, chronic lower respiratory disease, and cerebrovascular
causes,€ť Katherine Fowler of CDCs Division of Violence Prevention and
colleagues wrote.

"The team looked through CDC data on deaths in the U.S. for their study."

€śAfrican American children have the highest rates of firearm mortality
overall,€ť they wrote. Black children are 10 times more likely to be
killed by guns than white children, they found."

The only mention of anything outside of the US is the part about 90% of
child gun deaths in the developed world happen in the US.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 19:54:28 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>“Firearm-related deaths are the third leading cause of death overall
>among U.S. children aged 1 to 17 years, surpassing the number of deaths
>from pediatric congenital anomalies, heart disease, influenza and/or
>pneumonia, chronic lower respiratory disease, and cerebrovascular
>causes,” Katherine Fowler of CDC’s Division of Violence Prevention and
>colleagues wrote.
>
>"The team looked through CDC data on deaths in the U.S. for their study."
>
>“African American children have the highest rates of firearm mortality
>overall,” they wrote. Black children are 10 times more likely to be
>killed by guns than white children, they found."
>
>The only mention of anything outside of the US is the part about 90% of
>child gun deaths in the developed world happen in the US.

Damn, that means Americans need more guns so they can protect their
children better!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-25 7:32 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 17:33:56 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2019-06-25 12:36 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 11:21:56 -0400, Dave Smith
>>>
>>> snip

>>> snip
>>>

>>> This study shows over 1300 children under 17 a year killed by guns
>>> and many more injured.
>>> https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-finds-n774086
>>>

>> That may be the case in the US, but this was a Canadian organization
>> dealing with Canadian data, or in this case,factoids.
>>

> If you had read the study report you would have seen that it is not
> exclusive to the USA. I don't dispute that the USA is awful. But
> children deaths cross borders. School shootings cross borders. There
> is a current mind set in the world today that o.k.s violence and
> ugliness. Guns are a definite part of that.

I did read the report that you linked. My previous post quoted multiple
comments that indicated it was based on American data and that the only
reference to non US incidents was where they said that 90% of child gun
killings in the developed world happen in the US.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 2:22:43 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 12:16:13 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 1:58:22 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> >>
> >> I think from what I read she was mentally lacking but I also think,
> >> given the number of children previously removed from her, there should
> >> be enforced sterilisation.
> >>

> >I'm all for it for males and females. Truly, some people should not be allowed
> >to reproduce.

> What would the criteria be? IQ? Income? Looks?

In this case, her previous appearance in court involving helpless children.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 19:42:39 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 2:22:43 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 12:16:13 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>> >I'm all for it for males and females. Truly, some people should not be allowed
>> >to reproduce.

>> What would the criteria be? IQ? Income? Looks?
>>

>In this case, her previous appearance in court involving helpless children.

Yes, but in general.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2019 7:55 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 7:48:38 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 04:39:12 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> Are you aware that gated communities are a perfectly rational response
>>> to a justifiable fear of home invasion? One million home invasions take
>>> place every year, and 27% of those result in homeowner injury.
>>>
>>> Gated communities are, of course, not the only rational response. My
>>> husband keeps a gun on hand (but locks it away when we both are away
>> >from the house).

>> I'm glad I don't live in the US.

> The statistics aren't any better for Australia:
>
> <https://www.budgetdirect.com.au/home-contents-insurance/research/home-burglary-statistics.html>
>
> Of course, home invasions mainly happen in areas of higher population
> density. The cost/benefit analysis for driving 100 miles to break into
> someone's house is not very good.
>
> And if everybody moved out into the sticks to avoid home invasions,
> the sticks wouldn't be the sticks anymore.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

To think, all this talk about guns started with a thread about the
History of *Tomatoes* in Europe.

Jill

FS: A HISTORY OF THE WORLD in 6 GLASSES History About the GreatBeverages incl. TEA by TOM STANDAGE 29%off [email protected] Tea 0 26-08-2016 09:31 AM
Europe Trip sibeer Wine 6 27-10-2006 02:05 PM
My popular and highly unconfirmed understanding of tomato history. Joe Cee Phuss Historic 2 23-01-2005 04:08 AM
Europe vs US tea sources nickwarren Tea 0 20-12-2004 10:04 PM
Victory in Europe! :-) MikeMcG Beer 14 20-11-2003 12:15 AM