Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A nice gaspacho soup

Prepared by Jaues Pepin. He peeled the raw bell green pepper, minced it, minced tomatoes and onios, peeled and minced field cukes, not the English, but the field cuke with seeds. He seeded those. Everything went into the food processor. He also had chopped cukes, onions, tomatoes, and green bell pepper as a garnish. So the stuff comes out of the food processor, but he still puts it into a food mill. btw, in the food processor, he added a vegetabl juice which he called a bloody mary mix. The food mill gave a very refined product. It looked delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2019 8:37 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> Prepared by Jaues Pepin. He peeled the raw bell green pepper, minced it, minced tomatoes and onios, peeled and minced field cukes, not the English, but the field cuke with seeds. He seeded those. Everything went into the food processor.

Sounds good, much like the gazpacho I once made. Only, I put in a lot
of cumino (cumin).

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Friday, June 21, 2019 at 7:37:38 AM UTC-7, A Moose in Love wrote:
> Prepared by Jaues Pepin. He peeled the raw bell green pepper, minced it, minced tomatoes and onios, peeled and minced field cukes, not the English, but the field cuke with seeds. He seeded those. Everything went into the food processor. He also had chopped cukes, onions, tomatoes, and green bell pepper as a garnish. So the stuff comes out of the food processor, but he still puts it into a food mill. btw, in the food processor, he added a vegetabl juice which he called a bloody mary mix. The food mill gave a very refined product. It looked delicious.

Recipe
1 green bell pepper, peeled with vegetable peeler and chopped
1 Vidalia onion, chopped
3 cucumbers, peeled, seeds removed
4 large ripe tomatoes, quartered
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1-1/2 c. Bloody Mary Mix (I used Zing Zang)
1 tsp. salt
Sprigs of parsley for garnish
Croutons

Save 1/2 c. each of the green pepper, onion, cucumber and tomato for garnish. Put all the ingredients, except for the parsley and croutons, in the blender. Turn on and blend until smooth. You can't beat a Vitamix for this step!

Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with spoonfuls of the reserved veg. Add 2 or 3 croutons and sprigs of parsley, if desired.

€“ Jacques Pépin, "More Fast Food My Way"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 21, 2019 at 1:43:45 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
> On 6/21/2019 8:37 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> > Prepared by Jaues Pepin. He peeled the raw bell green pepper, minced it, minced tomatoes and onios, peeled and minced field cukes, not the English, but the field cuke with seeds. He seeded those. Everything went into the food processor.

> Sounds good, much like the gazpacho I once made. Only, I put in a lot
> of cumino (cumin).
>
> nb

I'm given to understand that's authentically Spanish, but it always makes
the gazpacho taste like salsa to me. I always leave it out.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 10:45:06 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Friday, June 21, 2019 at 7:37:38 AM UTC-7, A Moose in Love wrote:
>> Prepared by Jaues Pepin. He peeled the raw bell green pepper, minced it, minced tomatoes and onios, peeled and minced field cukes, not the English, but the field cuke with seeds. He seeded those. Everything went into the food processor. He also had chopped cukes, onions, tomatoes, and green bell pepper as a garnish. So the stuff comes out of the food processor, but he still puts it into a food mill. btw, in the food processor, he added a vegetabl juice which he called a bloody mary mix. The food mill gave a very refined product. It looked delicious.

>Recipe
>1 green bell pepper, peeled with vegetable peeler and chopped

I've never in my life peeled any raw bell pepper, WHY?
I don't bother removing the skin when roasted... WHY?

>1 Vidalia onion, chopped

>3 cucumbers, peeled, seeds removed

Only from over growns

>4 large ripe tomatoes, quartered

What kind of tomatoes, romas or salad?

>2 garlic cloves, crushed
>1-1/2 c. Bloody Mary Mix (I used Zing Zang)

Sounds stinky Chinky.

>1 tsp. salt
>Sprigs of parsley for garnish
>Croutons
>
>Save 1/2 c. each of the green pepper, onion, cucumber and tomato for garnish. Put all the ingredients, except for the parsley and croutons, in the blender. Turn on and blend until smooth. You can't beat a Vitamix for this step!
>
>Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with spoonfuls of the reserved veg. Add 2 or 3 croutons and sprigs of parsley, if desired.
>
>– Jacques Pépin, "More Fast Food My Way"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 21, 2019 at 5:31:11 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 10:45:06 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, June 21, 2019 at 7:37:38 AM UTC-7, A Moose in Love wrote:
> >> Prepared by Jaues Pepin. He peeled the raw bell green pepper, minced it, minced tomatoes and onios, peeled and minced field cukes, not the English, but the field cuke with seeds. He seeded those. Everything went into the food processor. He also had chopped cukes, onions, tomatoes, and green bell pepper as a garnish. So the stuff comes out of the food processor, but he still puts it into a food mill. btw, in the food processor, he added a vegetabl juice which he called a bloody mary mix. The food mill gave a very refined product. It looked delicious.

> >Recipe
> >1 green bell pepper, peeled with vegetable peeler and chopped

> I've never in my life peeled any raw bell pepper, WHY?
> I don't bother removing the skin when roasted... WHY?

This was the first time I've ever seen a raw bell pepper peeled. It's a texture thing.

> >1 Vidalia onion, chopped

> >3 cucumbers, peeled, seeds removed

> Only from over growns
>
> >4 large ripe tomatoes, quartered

> What kind of tomatoes, romas or salad?
>
> >2 garlic cloves, crushed
> >1-1/2 c. Bloody Mary Mix (I used Zing Zang)

> Sounds stinky Chinky.
>
> >1 tsp. salt
> >Sprigs of parsley for garnish
> >Croutons
> >
> >Save 1/2 c. each of the green pepper, onion, cucumber and tomato for garnish. Put all the ingredients, except for the parsley and croutons, in the blender. Turn on and blend until smooth. You can't beat a Vitamix for this step!
> >
> >Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with spoonfuls of the reserved veg. Add 2 or 3 croutons and sprigs of parsley, if desired.
> >
> >€“ Jacques Pépin, "More Fast Food My Way"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
Prepared by Jaues Pepin. He peeled the raw bell green pepper, minced it,
minced tomatoes and onios, peeled and minced field cukes, not the English,
but the field cuke with seeds. He seeded those. Everything went into the
food processor. He also had chopped cukes, onions, tomatoes, and green bell
pepper as a garnish. So the stuff comes out of the food processor, but he
still puts it into a food mill. btw, in the food processor, he added a
vegetabl juice which he called a bloody mary mix. The food mill gave a very
refined product. It looked delicious.

I've tried making various recipes but never liked the end result. Then I got
some bottled stuff at QFC. It was delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2019 10:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> Prepared by Jaues Pepin.Â* He peeled the raw bell green pepper, minced
> it, minced tomatoes and onios, peeled and minced field cukes, not the
> English, but the field cuke with seeds.Â* He seeded those.Â* Everything
> went into the food processor.Â* He also had chopped cukes, onions,
> tomatoes, and green bell pepper as a garnish.Â* So the stuff comes out of
> the food processor, but he still puts it into a food mill.Â* btw, in the
> food processor, he added a vegetabl juice which he called a bloody mary
> mix.Â* The food mill gave a very refined product.Â* It looked delicious.
>
> I've tried making various recipes but never liked the end result. Then I
> got some bottled stuff at QFC. It was delicious.

This is not authentic but it is my favorite gazpacho recipe and it's
fast and easy to make:

GAZPACHO

Place in blender* (reserving any combination of chopped tomato,
cucumber, bell pepper and onion for garnish):

3-4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 cucumber, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 small onion, chopped
4 tomatoes, chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 cup ice water
salt and pepper to taste

Blend until desired consistency.

*If you have a stick blender just throw everything into a large jar and
mix it up in there - less cleanup.

from The Ex-Boyfriend Cookbook, by Thisbe Nissen and Erin Ergenbright
(HarperCollins 2002)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Jun 2019 dejamos wrote:

>This is not authentic but it is my favorite gazpacho recipe and it's
>fast and easy to make:

Mine is not authentic either, there's no such thing as authentic
gaspacho, there are as many versions as there are those who prepare
it... I never measure except by eye and how bountiful my garden.

>GAZPACHO
>
>Place in blender* (reserving any combination of chopped tomato,
>cucumber, bell pepper and onion for garnish):
>
>3-4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped

One large clove smashed and finely chopped is plenty.

>1 cucumber, chopped

I grow my own Kirbys, pick two pounds of small ones, no more than 4",
trim the stem ends and dice small, peeling not necessary.

>1/2 green pepper, chopped

I use a couple large blocky green bell peppers and finely dice.

>1/2 small onion, chopped

1 medium sweet onion finely diced.

>4 tomatoes, chopped

A dozen Romas, diced (~1/4").

>2 Tbsp olive oil

1/4 cup EVOO.

>3 Tbsp red wine vinegar

Juice of one lemon is far superior.

>1/2 cup ice water

Not necessary.

>salt and pepper to taste

1 rounded tsp Penzys Adobo... since it contains no salt use to taste
and add kosher salt to taste... Adobo also contains granulated garlic
so taste.
I also add curly leaf parsley, a fistful, minced, mince the stems too.
Just planted today.

>Blend until desired consistency.
>*If you have a stick blender just throw everything into a large jar and
>mix it up in there - less cleanup.

Blending ruins perfectly good veggies, learn to use a knife.
I typically fill a 4 qt bowl and refrigerate 24 hours before digging
in... goes nicely with sliced avocado. For those who like a little
heat add drops of Melindas... choose which heat level you prefer:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=melindas+...b_sb_ss_i_1_18

>from The Ex-Boyfriend Cookbook, by Thisbe Nissen and Erin Ergenbright
>(HarperCollins 2002)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dejamos" > wrote in message
> On 6/21/2019 10:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
>> Prepared by Jaues Pepin. He peeled the raw bell green pepper, minced it,
>> minced tomatoes and onios, peeled and minced field cukes, not the
>> English, but the field cuke with seeds. He seeded those. Everything went
>> into the food processor. He also had chopped cukes, onions, tomatoes, and
>> green bell pepper as a garnish. So the stuff comes out of the food
>> processor, but he still puts it into a food mill. btw, in the food
>> processor, he added a vegetabl juice which he called a bloody mary mix.
>> The food mill gave a very refined product. It looked delicious.
>>
>> I've tried making various recipes but never liked the end result. Then I
>> got some bottled stuff at QFC. It was delicious.

> This is not authentic but it is my favorite gazpacho recipe and it's fast
> and easy to make:
>
> GAZPACHO
>
> Place in blender* (reserving any combination of chopped tomato, cucumber,
> bell pepper and onion for garnish):
>
> 3-4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
> 1 cucumber, chopped
> 1/2 green pepper, chopped
> 1/2 small onion, chopped
> 4 tomatoes, chopped
> 2 Tbsp olive oil
> 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
> 1/2 cup ice water
> salt and pepper to taste
>
> Blend until desired consistency.
>
> *If you have a stick blender just throw everything into a large jar and
> mix it up in there - less cleanup.
>
> from The Ex-Boyfriend Cookbook, by Thisbe Nissen and Erin Ergenbright
> (HarperCollins 2002)

Thanks! I think my issue with it prior was the bread. I did not like the
texture it gave.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2019 8:36 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "dejamos" > wrote in message
>> On 6/21/2019 10:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
>>> Prepared by Jaues Pepin. He peeled the raw bell green pepper, minced
>>> it, minced tomatoes and onios, peeled and minced field cukes, not the
>>> English, but the field cuke with seeds. He seeded those. Everything
>>> went into the food processor. He also had chopped cukes, onions,
>>> tomatoes, and green bell pepper as a garnish. So the stuff comes out
>>> of the food processor, but he still puts it into a food mill. btw, in
>>> the food processor, he added a vegetabl juice which he called a
>>> bloody mary mix. The food mill gave a very refined product. It looked
>>> delicious.
>>>
>>> I've tried making various recipes but never liked the end result.
>>> Then I got some bottled stuff at QFC. It was delicious.

>> This is not authentic but it is my favorite gazpacho recipe and it's
>> fast and easy to make:
>>
>> GAZPACHO
>>
>> Place in blender* (reserving any combination of chopped tomato,
>> cucumber, bell pepper and onion for garnish):
>>
>> 3-4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
>> 1 cucumber, chopped
>> 1/2 green pepper, chopped
>> 1/2 small onion, chopped
>> 4 tomatoes, chopped
>> 2 Tbsp olive oil
>> 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
>> 1/2 cup ice water
>> salt and pepper to taste
>>
>> Blend until desired consistency.
>>
>> *If you have a stick blender just throw everything into a large jar
>> and mix it up in there - less cleanup.
>>
>> from The Ex-Boyfriend Cookbook, by Thisbe Nissen and Erin Ergenbright
>> (HarperCollins 2002)

> Thanks! I think my issue with it prior was the bread. I did not like the
> texture it gave.

I think I know what you mean. This is light and refreshing and is
perfect on a hot summer day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2019 9:36 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "dejamos" > wrote in message
>> On 6/21/2019 10:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
>>> Prepared by Jaues Pepin. He peeled the raw bell green pepper, minced
>>> it, minced tomatoes and onios, peeled and minced field cukes, not the
>>> English, but the field cuke with seeds. He seeded those. Everything
>>> went into the food processor. He also had chopped cukes, onions,
>>> tomatoes, and green bell pepper as a garnish. So the stuff comes out
>>> of the food processor, but he still puts it into a food mill. btw, in
>>> the food processor, he added a vegetabl juice which he called a
>>> bloody mary mix. The food mill gave a very refined product. It looked
>>> delicious.
>>>
>>> I've tried making various recipes but never liked the end result.
>>> Then I got some bottled stuff at QFC. It was delicious.

>> This is not authentic but it is my favorite gazpacho recipe and it's
>> fast and easy to make:
>>
>> GAZPACHO
>>
>> Place in blender* (reserving any combination of chopped tomato,
>> cucumber, bell pepper and onion for garnish):
>>
>> 3-4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
>> 1 cucumber, chopped
>> 1/2 green pepper, chopped
>> 1/2 small onion, chopped
>> 4 tomatoes, chopped
>> 2 Tbsp olive oil
>> 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
>> 1/2 cup ice water
>> salt and pepper to taste
>>
>> Blend until desired consistency.
>>
>> *If you have a stick blender just throw everything into a large jar
>> and mix it up in there - less cleanup.
>>
>> from The Ex-Boyfriend Cookbook, by Thisbe Nissen and Erin Ergenbright
>> (HarperCollins 2002)

> Thanks! I think my issue with it prior was the bread. I did not like the
> texture it gave.

What bread?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 6:27:47 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/22/2019 9:36 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> >> This is not authentic but it is my favorite gazpacho recipe and it's
> >> fast and easy to make:
> >>
> >> GAZPACHO
> >>
> >> Place in blender* (reserving any combination of chopped tomato,
> >> cucumber, bell pepper and onion for garnish):
> >>
> >> 3-4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
> >> 1 cucumber, chopped
> >> 1/2 green pepper, chopped
> >> 1/2 small onion, chopped
> >> 4 tomatoes, chopped
> >> 2 Tbsp olive oil
> >> 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
> >> 1/2 cup ice water
> >> salt and pepper to taste
> >>
> >> Blend until desired consistency.
> >>
> >> *If you have a stick blender just throw everything into a large jar
> >> and mix it up in there - less cleanup.
> >>
> >> from The Ex-Boyfriend Cookbook, by Thisbe Nissen and Erin Ergenbright
> >> (HarperCollins 2002)

> > Thanks! I think my issue with it prior was the bread. I did not like the
> > texture it gave.

> What bread?
>
> Jill

Many gazpacho recipes include bread as a thickener. Of course, it can be
omitted.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2019 7:14 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 6:27:47 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Thanks! I think my issue with it prior was the bread. I did not like the
>>> texture it gave.

>> What bread?
>>
>> Jill

> Many gazpacho recipes include bread as a thickener. Of course, it can be
> omitted.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Okay, thank you! I was simply reading the recipe above and did not see
any mention of bread. It would never occur to me to add bread to
vegetable soup.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2019 7:17 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/23/2019 7:14 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> What bread?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Many gazpacho recipes include bread as a thickener.Â* Of course, it can be
>> omitted.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> Okay, thank you!Â* I was simply reading the recipe above and did not see
> any mention of bread.Â* It would never occur to me to add bread to
> vegetable soup.
>
> Jill

It's common in most Gazpacho recipes. That's why I like this one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> Many gazpacho recipes include bread as a thickener. Of course, it can be
> omitted.

I haven't eaten gazpacho in years, but now I have a recipe in mind.

1. Six V8 juices
2. Possibly one Snap-E-Tom for zing
3. Just a touch of xanthan gum for thickening (not sure where to buy),
or bread crumbs which probably needs the blender I wanted to avoid
4. Diced cucumber, fresh tomato and onion as stuff to drop on later

I haven't tried it but, what's not to like?

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 11:03:58 PM UTC-4, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>
> > Many gazpacho recipes include bread as a thickener. Of course, it can be
> > omitted.

> I haven't eaten gazpacho in years, but now I have a recipe in mind.
>
> 1. Six V8 juices
> 2. Possibly one Snap-E-Tom for zing
> 3. Just a touch of xanthan gum for thickening (not sure where to buy),
> or bread crumbs which probably needs the blender I wanted to avoid
> 4. Diced cucumber, fresh tomato and onion as stuff to drop on later
>
> I haven't tried it but, what's not to like?
>
> leo

You lost me at V8 juice. It would provide a cooked flavor that I
don't want in gazpacho.

You can make bread crumbs with a ziploc bag and a frying pan. Xanthan
gum not needed.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> You lost me at V8 juice. It would provide a cooked flavor that I
> don't want in gazpacho.

Yep. I hadn't thought of that. A fresh made salsa cruda is way better
than a jarred product.

> You can make bread crumbs with a ziploc bag and a frying pan. Xanthan
> gum not needed.

I buy Progresso bread crumbs, because I'm lazy, and they last forever.
Someone we know might have a field day with the ingredients list.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 7:21:37 AM UTC-4, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>
> > You lost me at V8 juice. It would provide a cooked flavor that I
> > don't want in gazpacho.

> Yep. I hadn't thought of that. A fresh made salsa cruda is way better
> than a jarred product.
>
> > You can make bread crumbs with a ziploc bag and a frying pan. Xanthan
> > gum not needed.

> I buy Progresso bread crumbs, because I'm lazy, and they last forever.
> Someone we know might have a field day with the ingredients list.
>
> leo

I find those a little... Chalky? Gritty?

It's easy enough to make homemade, and they last long enough in the freezer
(where "long enough" = we use them up before they taste like freezer).

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 03:10:47 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 11:03:58 PM UTC-4, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>>
>> > Many gazpacho recipes include bread as a thickener. Of course, it can be
>> > omitted.

>> I haven't eaten gazpacho in years, but now I have a recipe in mind.
>>
>> 1. Six V8 juices
>> 2. Possibly one Snap-E-Tom for zing
>> 3. Just a touch of xanthan gum for thickening (not sure where to buy),
>> or bread crumbs which probably needs the blender I wanted to avoid
>> 4. Diced cucumber, fresh tomato and onion as stuff to drop on later
>>
>> I haven't tried it but, what's not to like?
>>
>> leo

>You lost me at V8 juice. It would provide a cooked flavor that I
>don't want in gazpacho.
>
>You can make bread crumbs with a ziploc bag and a frying pan. Xanthan
>gum not needed.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I thicken soups, especially vegetable soups, with okra... Campbells
vegetable soup contains okra.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 12:15:56 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> I thicken soups, especially vegetable soups, with okra... Campbells
> vegetable soup contains okra.

Depending on the size of the pot of soup you are making, a 1/4 cup of unrinsed
barley does a great job of thickening soup. Gives a nice chew, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 11:24:46 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 12:15:56 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> I thicken soups, especially vegetable soups, with okra... Campbells
>> vegetable soup contains okra.
>>

>Depending on the size of the pot of soup you are making, a 1/4 cup of unrinsed
>barley does a great job of thickening soup. Gives a nice chew, too.

I find barley works well in meat soups like beef barley 'shroom but
for purely vegetable soups nothing works as sell as okra. And freshly
harvested young okra is not slimey, it's that old stuff at markets
that's like The Blob.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 4:17:31 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 11:24:46 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >Depending on the size of the pot of soup you are making, a 1/4 cup of unrinsed
> >barley does a great job of thickening soup. Gives a nice chew, too.

> I find barley works well in meat soups like beef barley 'shroom but
> for purely vegetable soups nothing works as sell as okra. And freshly
> harvested young okra is not slimey, it's that old stuff at markets
> that's like The Blob.

I use barley in vegetable beef soup which does use frozen okra. But it may
be because it's been frozen it doesn't seem to do much thickening.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 18:25:46 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 4:17:31 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 11:24:46 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Depending on the size of the pot of soup you are making, a 1/4 cup of unrinsed
>> >barley does a great job of thickening soup. Gives a nice chew, too.

>> I find barley works well in meat soups like beef barley 'shroom but
>> for purely vegetable soups nothing works as sell as okra. And freshly
>> harvested young okra is not slimey, it's that old stuff at markets
>> that's like The Blob.
>>

>I use barley in vegetable beef soup which does use frozen okra. But it may
>be because it's been frozen it doesn't seem to do much thickening.

Okra is not a super thickener, it won;'t thicken like corn starch.
but does add a mild thickening... something one must experiment with.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 1:15:56 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 03:10:47 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 11:03:58 PM UTC-4, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> >> I haven't eaten gazpacho in years, but now I have a recipe in mind.
> >>
> >> 1. Six V8 juices
> >> 2. Possibly one Snap-E-Tom for zing
> >> 3. Just a touch of xanthan gum for thickening (not sure where to buy),
> >> or bread crumbs which probably needs the blender I wanted to avoid
> >> 4. Diced cucumber, fresh tomato and onion as stuff to drop on later
> >>
> >> I haven't tried it but, what's not to like?
> >>
> >> leo

> >You lost me at V8 juice. It would provide a cooked flavor that I
> >don't want in gazpacho.
> >
> >You can make bread crumbs with a ziploc bag and a frying pan. Xanthan
> >gum not needed.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> I thicken soups, especially vegetable soups, with okra... Campbells
> vegetable soup contains okra.

It could be a little tricky thickening gazpacho with okra,
since gazpacho isn't cooked.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 11:58:09 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 1:15:56 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 03:10:47 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >You lost me at V8 juice. It would provide a cooked flavor that I
>> >don't want in gazpacho.
>> >
>> >You can make bread crumbs with a ziploc bag and a frying pan. Xanthan
>> >gum not needed.
>> >
>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> I thicken soups, especially vegetable soups, with okra... Campbells
>> vegetable soup contains okra.

>It could be a little tricky thickening gazpacho with okra,
>since gazpacho isn't cooked.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Sliced okra cooked in the tomato juice, stirred in with the other
ingredients and chilled. Would thicken without cooking but would take
longer, and raw okra can be tough to chew when left a bit too long on
the plant. I harvest at about three inches, they are still tender, at
about four inches they become somewhat woody, I save the larger ones
for stew, okra freezes well. Picking often ensures a larger crop...
true of all seed containing produce.