Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Black beans stain pot

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 22:06:54 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 15, 2019 at 8:37:24 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 00:09:14 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I think she means Bar Keepers Friend.

>> Yes, and the big supermarkets actually sell it he
>> <https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/18289/bar-keepers-friend-cleanser-polish>
>>

>Yes, sorry. That is the correct name of the cleaner. Now that you know it is
>available get to the store and get that pot clean or you'll find it upside
>your head soon.

I'll send a representative to the supermarket soon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> We've been having a lot of black turtle beans lately. I mean Mexican,
> tex-mex, southern American style black beans. I boil a kilo at a time
> and freeze part. All good. Except they stain the pot really badly with
> a dark film. Is there a good way to avoid the discoloration or to get
> rid of it afterwards? Thanks.

What kind of pot? I've never had that happen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 23:42:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> We've been having a lot of black turtle beans lately. I mean Mexican,
>> tex-mex, southern American style black beans. I boil a kilo at a time
>> and freeze part. All good. Except they stain the pot really badly with
>> a dark film. Is there a good way to avoid the discoloration or to get
>> rid of it afterwards? Thanks.

>What kind of pot? I've never had that happen.

A Le Creuset pot and a week ago a stainless steel one. But there were
also dark stains on the sink and on the floor, where I spilled a bit
of cooking water. I know about beetroot and turmeric, but I didn't
know black beans were such a strong colourant.

Maybe I should have bought the organic version
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hank Rogers" > wrote in message
> Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 19:39:47 +1000, Bruce >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> We've been having a lot of black turtle beans lately. I mean Mexican,
>>> tex-mex, southern American style black beans. I boil a kilo at a time
>>> and freeze part. All good. Except they stain the pot really badly with
>>> a dark film. Is there a good way to avoid the discoloration or to get
>>> rid of it afterwards? Thanks.

>> Thanks, all. The first pot we tried was stainless steel, but it
>> stained. The second one was a Le Creuset and it stained too. I'll try
>> the bleach solution. If that doesn't help, I'll buy a pot just for
>> beans, since we have them all the time now.
>>

> Yoose could try a bit of ammonia to help clean yoose pot, if there are no
> metal parts.
>
> Popeye would just pee in it before cooking, because the heat would help
> too. Maybe he will help.
>
> Julie is a bean expert too, so maybe she will give better guidance.
>
> CALLING POPEYE CALLING JULIE BEAN EMERGENCY
>
> BEAN EMERGENCY 911
>
> BEAN EMERGENCY 911

I've used Revereware, a cheap enamel coated pan and a non-stick Dutch oven.
Never had a bean stain. But maybe I cook my beans differently. This was told
to me by a Mexican Chef.

Quick soak method. Put beans in as much water as possible. Bring to a boil.
Boil for a minute. Note that this was for black beans. Kidney beans need to
soak for two minutes. Turn the heat off and let sit for an hour.

Drain the water. This helps take away what might cause gassiness.

Refill pot with water. Again as much as possible. Bring to a boil, let
simmer until done. Drain off and save the water. That water is great for
making soups, bread and other things. Depending on what you are making with
the beans, you may need to add some water back to the pot. Add seasonings
after the beans are done. Certain things can make the beans tough if added
too soon,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 19:39:47 +1000, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
> >We've been having a lot of black turtle beans lately. I mean Mexican,
> >tex-mex, southern American style black beans. I boil a kilo at a time
> >and freeze part. All good. Except they stain the pot really badly with
> >a dark film. Is there a good way to avoid the discoloration or to get
> >rid of it afterwards? Thanks.

> Thanks, all. The first pot we tried was stainless steel, but it
> stained. The second one was a Le Creuset and it stained too. I'll try
> the bleach solution. If that doesn't help, I'll buy a pot just for
> beans, since we have them all the time now.

A few other thoughts here, Bruce. Are you sure that stainless
steel pot was actually that? I've cooked black beans many times
here. The cooking water does turn somewhat black but never had it
stain my pot. I'm not trying to be difficult here - it's just
never happened.

How I cook them (and many other dried beans) is to soak in plenty
of cold water the evening before I cook them. Next morning drain
that soaking water and replace with fresh then cook until done.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Maybe I should have bought the organic version

Forget the stains for now. Maybe you should just plant your own
beans next spring. That way you won't have to buy "mystery
beans." I think it's "Songbird" here that grows many kinds of
beans. She could be a good source of info.

You love them and eat often. Sounds like you have the property to
do this. Actually make a huge many vegetable garden. No odd
ingredient lists ever.

Living in an apartment sure is convenient but I do miss the
gardening. Growing a few things in pots on the back balcony in
high heat is hardly worth the trouble. I miss going out at the
crack of dawn and tending to the garden each morning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> Here's another option. So you have a stain in your pot? So What? Stains
> don't often impart flavor. If there are crud and chunks along with the
> stain, different story. Stains will probably disappear over time.
> Think of the seasoning on a cast iron pan as a desired polymer stain.

I agree with you, Leo. People that cook often don't need to keep
their cookware looking pristene. Let it get old unless you have
unlimited time to shine them all up after each time you cook.
That's only for a show kitchens where you leave them hanging for
display.

Good comprimise is just to buy TWO sets. One for display and one
for cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> No, you don't misunderstand. It's not so much my problem but my
> wife's, by the way. Although I must admit that it looks a bit suspect.
> If nothing helps, a dedicated pan will be the solution. But I have a
> few things to try first.

If you buy a new dedicated pot, check out the Revere Ware. The
cost is on the low end of cookware but not the very cheapest you
can buy. They WILL last you a life time though. All of mine are
35-40 years old. All are well used and they will last longer than
I will. Comes with interchangeable lids too.

You say you cook 1 kilo of beans at a time. That's about 2 pounds
of dried. For that amount you should get an 8-quart pot. I doubt
that will stain plus it's great for making large amounts of
anything. The 8-quart is my largest one.

Right now, I'm cooking 1 pound of dried peas in my 5-quart pot.
Once cooked, I'll have to use the 8-quart to hold that plus all
the vegetables that I add.

Boy o boy, I sure hope those peas don't stain my pot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> For a bean emergency open windows for a cross breeze and turn on a fan.
> Clears the air quickly.

Or...if you live alone, you can just "let one rip" even under the
covers as long as there are no ferrets sleeping under there. ha
ha
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> I just had them again. I can't believe how good they are. Boiled in
> water with a bit of salt until soft enough and later briefly fried in
> olive oil.

I'll have to try some that way.
I normally just cook them for burrito filling.

One question:
Do you fry them whole in the oil or
maybe just slightly smash them first?
I would be tempted to do that just until
they broke open a nip but not completely mashed.

Just like a "smashed potato" finished off
in hot oil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 07:38:28 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, all. The first pot we tried was stainless steel, but it
>> stained. The second one was a Le Creuset and it stained too. I'll try
>> the bleach solution. If that doesn't help, I'll buy a pot just for
>> beans, since we have them all the time now.

>A few other thoughts here, Bruce. Are you sure that stainless
>steel pot was actually that? I've cooked black beans many times
>here. The cooking water does turn somewhat black but never had it
>stain my pot. I'm not trying to be difficult here - it's just
>never happened.
>
>How I cook them (and many other dried beans) is to soak in plenty
>of cold water the evening before I cook them. Next morning drain
>that soaking water and replace with fresh then cook until done.

That's what I did too. I don't know if soaking them really makes them
easier to digest, but all help is welcome I think we're also
getting used to them after 2 weeks of having them for breakfast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 1:50:24 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> A Le Creuset pot and a week ago a stainless steel one. But there were
> also dark stains on the sink and on the floor, where I spilled a bit
> of cooking water. I know about beetroot and turmeric, but I didn't
> know black beans were such a strong colourant.
>
> Maybe I should have bought the organic version

Maybe that's why they are called BLACK BEANS! Hee hee!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> That's what I did too. I don't know if soaking them really makes them
> easier to digest, but all help is welcome I think we're also
> getting used to them after 2 weeks of having them for breakfast.

if you gradually add them to your diet your
body will get used to them. i don't bother to
soak them or pre-soften. just bring them to a
boil and then turn them down to a slight simmer.
stir once in a while to keep them from sticking
and add some water if needed.

the problem a lot of people have with smelly
gas involves what else you cook with them.
add onions, meat and garlic and you're asking
for it... we cook them plain in water, i simmer
them until done. that is all. no added salt or
other things until after they are cooked (other-
wise they can get tough skins or not seem cooked
enough).

i usually make a few gallons at a time and then
we will drain them and freeze them in quart jars
and eat them for the next month or two.

i'm not sure how many we have left from the
last batch so i will probably make some this next
week. i also will make a small batch of fresh
beans of one type instead of a blend of many
kinds that i have for the large batches. just
for something different. like we like lima
beans or yellow eye beans.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Maybe I should have bought the organic version

> Forget the stains for now. Maybe you should just plant your own
> beans next spring. That way you won't have to buy "mystery
> beans." I think it's "Songbird" here that grows many kinds of
> beans. She could be a good source of info.

"he"

many this year again. i really went overboard on
fresh beans but someone had a bunch of bush green bean
varieties they were getting rid of so i was glad to
pick them up to grow them this summer so next winter
i will have (i hope) plenty of seeds to give away at
the seed swap. last year i didn't have very many
and for a new gardener to get them going they may not
care about named varieties until after they get some
experience.

i haven't sorted my list yet so i'm not sure how
many i've planted this year - looks to be about 50
different kinds.

> You love them and eat often. Sounds like you have the property to
> do this. Actually make a huge many vegetable garden. No odd
> ingredient lists ever.

that is what i like the most about growing things.
we know exactly what it is, how it was grown, what was
(or in our case wasn't) sprayed on it, etc.

this week the strawberries have been coming in.

> Living in an apartment sure is convenient but I do miss the
> gardening. Growing a few things in pots on the back balcony in
> high heat is hardly worth the trouble. I miss going out at the
> crack of dawn and tending to the garden each morning.

we have about an acre of gardens, that's more than
enough to keep two people busy (along with everything
else).

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 15, 2019 at 12:59:17 PM UTC-10, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >, Bruce
> > wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 17:13:55 -0400, wrote:

> > >What material is your pot made of? I cook a lot of black beans, a
> > >favorite here, had them for dinner last night and will have them for
> > >dinner tonight. Cooked in a stainless steel pot they don't stain the
> > >pot but they will stain foods, like rice. We like refried beans and
> > >black beans is what we use.... we usually have them cooked with pork
> > >chops but this time with kielbasa.

> > One was stainless steel and one was cast iron with some enamel layer,
> > I think (Le Creuset).
> >
> > I just had them again. I can't believe how good they are. Boiled in
> > water with a bit of salt until soft enough and later briefly fried in
> > olive oil.

> Here's another option. So you have a stain in your pot? So What? Stains
> don't often impart flavor. If there are crud and chunks along with the
> stain, different story. Stains will probably disappear over time.
> Think of the seasoning on a cast iron pan as a desired polymer stain.
> Or, as usual, i misunderstand.
>
> leo

My wok started looking ugly the first time heat was applied to it. It looks just horrible now. That's purely intentional. My carbon steel skillet is starting to look jet black now - it's gotten beautiful with use. Our stainless steel saucepans are still stain free. I don't cook black beans so it looks like I'm safe. If it did get unwanted stains on cookware, I'd use a melamine sponge on it.

https://home.howstuffworks.com/magic-eraser1.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 07:39:52 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>>
>> Here's another option. So you have a stain in your pot? So What? Stains
>> don't often impart flavor. If there are crud and chunks along with the
>> stain, different story. Stains will probably disappear over time.
>> Think of the seasoning on a cast iron pan as a desired polymer stain.

>I agree with you, Leo. People that cook often don't need to keep
>their cookware looking pristene. Let it get old unless you have
>unlimited time to shine them all up after each time you cook.
>That's only for a show kitchens where you leave them hanging for
>display.
>
>Good comprimise is just to buy TWO sets. One for display and one
>for cooking.

I don't really care what it looks like, but it seems a bit unhygienic.
Maybe it's not really.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 07:39:19 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Maybe I should have bought the organic version

>Forget the stains for now. Maybe you should just plant your own
>beans next spring. That way you won't have to buy "mystery
>beans." I think it's "Songbird" here that grows many kinds of
>beans. She could be a good source of info.
>
>You love them and eat often. Sounds like you have the property to
>do this. Actually make a huge many vegetable garden. No odd
>ingredient lists ever.
>
>Living in an apartment sure is convenient but I do miss the
>gardening. Growing a few things in pots on the back balcony in
>high heat is hardly worth the trouble. I miss going out at the
>crack of dawn and tending to the garden each morning.

I grew chickpeas once, but the bandicoots got to them. And now the
vegetable garden is overgrown with weeds. It's nice to have a big
property, but it's a lot of work. Although, big... A neighbour once
asked how big it was. I said 6.5 acres. He said "Just enough to keep
the neighbours away." He had 240 acres.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 12:12:19 -0400, songbird >
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> That's what I did too. I don't know if soaking them really makes them
>> easier to digest, but all help is welcome I think we're also
>> getting used to them after 2 weeks of having them for breakfast.

> if you gradually add them to your diet your
>body will get used to them. i don't bother to
>soak them or pre-soften. just bring them to a
>boil and then turn them down to a slight simmer.
>stir once in a while to keep them from sticking
>and add some water if needed.
>
> the problem a lot of people have with smelly
>gas involves what else you cook with them.
>add onions, meat and garlic and you're asking
>for it... we cook them plain in water, i simmer
>them until done. that is all. no added salt or
>other things until after they are cooked (other-
>wise they can get tough skins or not seem cooked
>enough).
>
> i usually make a few gallons at a time and then
>we will drain them and freeze them in quart jars
>and eat them for the next month or two.
>
> i'm not sure how many we have left from the
>last batch so i will probably make some this next
>week. i also will make a small batch of fresh
>beans of one type instead of a blend of many
>kinds that i have for the large batches. just
>for something different. like we like lima
>beans or yellow eye beans.

I cook them your way, except I presoak. I read conflicting opinions on
whether that does anything useful, but I guess it won't hurt. I'll try
another type next time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 07:49:26 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> I just had them again. I can't believe how good they are. Boiled in
>> water with a bit of salt until soft enough and later briefly fried in
>> olive oil.

>I'll have to try some that way.
>I normally just cook them for burrito filling.
>
>One question:
>Do you fry them whole in the oil or
>maybe just slightly smash them first?
>I would be tempted to do that just until
>they broke open a nip but not completely mashed.
>
>Just like a "smashed potato" finished off
>in hot oil.

I fry them whole, unless they break up a bit in the process.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 05:03:19 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 1:50:24 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> A Le Creuset pot and a week ago a stainless steel one. But there were
>> also dark stains on the sink and on the floor, where I spilled a bit
>> of cooking water. I know about beetroot and turmeric, but I didn't
>> know black beans were such a strong colourant.
>>
>> Maybe I should have bought the organic version

>Maybe that's why they are called BLACK BEANS! Hee hee!

Yes, but a black person's pillow doesn't go black over time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 07:38:28 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, all. The first pot we tried was stainless steel, but it
>>> stained. The second one was a Le Creuset and it stained too. I'll try
>>> the bleach solution. If that doesn't help, I'll buy a pot just for
>>> beans, since we have them all the time now.

>> A few other thoughts here, Bruce. Are you sure that stainless
>> steel pot was actually that? I've cooked black beans many times
>> here. The cooking water does turn somewhat black but never had it
>> stain my pot. I'm not trying to be difficult here - it's just
>> never happened.
>>
>> How I cook them (and many other dried beans) is to soak in plenty
>> of cold water the evening before I cook them. Next morning drain
>> that soaking water and replace with fresh then cook until done.

> That's what I did too. I don't know if soaking them really makes them
> easier to digest, but all help is welcome I think we're also
> getting used to them after 2 weeks of having them for breakfast.

I've heard that soaking is only to reduce cooking time and/or
produce less farts. Could be a n old wives tale though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 14:44:29 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:

>>> A few other thoughts here, Bruce. Are you sure that stainless
>>> steel pot was actually that? I've cooked black beans many times
>>> here. The cooking water does turn somewhat black but never had it
>>> stain my pot. I'm not trying to be difficult here - it's just
>>> never happened.
>>>
>>> How I cook them (and many other dried beans) is to soak in plenty
>>> of cold water the evening before I cook them. Next morning drain
>>> that soaking water and replace with fresh then cook until done.

>> That's what I did too. I don't know if soaking them really makes them
>> easier to digest, but all help is welcome I think we're also
>> getting used to them after 2 weeks of having them for breakfast.
>>

>I've heard that soaking is only to reduce cooking time and/or
>produce less farts. Could be a n old wives tale though.

It won't hurt, so why not, unless you're in a hurry?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 14:44:29 -0500, Hank Rogers >
> wrote:
>
>> Bruce wrote:

>>> That's what I did too. I don't know if soaking them really makes them
>>> easier to digest, but all help is welcome I think we're also
>>> getting used to them after 2 weeks of having them for breakfast.
>>>

>> I've heard that soaking is only to reduce cooking time and/or
>> produce less farts. Could be a n old wives tale though.

> It won't hurt, so why not, unless you're in a hurry?

Yep, I always soaked beans, but not lentils, etc.

Also, If yoose add anything acidic, like tomatoes, don't put them in
until the beans are tender. Salt doesn't seem to be a problem, but
acids make them tough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 17:07:53 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 14:44:29 -0500, Hank Rogers >
>> wrote:

>>> I've heard that soaking is only to reduce cooking time and/or
>>> produce less farts. Could be a n old wives tale though.

>> It won't hurt, so why not, unless you're in a hurry?
>>

>Yep, I always soaked beans, but not lentils, etc.
>
>Also, If yoose add anything acidic, like tomatoes, don't put them in
>until the beans are tender. Salt doesn't seem to be a problem, but
>acids make them tough.

I'll remember that. I agree that salt doesn't hurt. I've put it in at
the beginning and at the end. The result was fine in both cases.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 17:07:53 -0500, Hank Rogers >
> wrote:
>
>> Bruce wrote:

>>> It won't hurt, so why not, unless you're in a hurry?
>>>

>> Yep, I always soaked beans, but not lentils, etc.
>>
>> Also, If yoose add anything acidic, like tomatoes, don't put them in
>> until the beans are tender. Salt doesn't seem to be a problem, but
>> acids make them tough.

> I'll remember that. I agree that salt doesn't hurt. I've put it in at
> the beginning and at the end. The result was fine in both cases.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention; If yoose use salt in the soaking water,
less salt is needed later, either before or after the beans are cooked.

The salted water is discarded and the beans rinsed, but salt does
get inside the beans as they soak, so don't add as much salt till
you taste them. It's very hard to fix oversalted food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 18:27:12 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 17:07:53 -0500, Hank Rogers >
>> wrote:

>>> Yep, I always soaked beans, but not lentils, etc.
>>>
>>> Also, If yoose add anything acidic, like tomatoes, don't put them in
>>> until the beans are tender. Salt doesn't seem to be a problem, but
>>> acids make them tough.

>> I'll remember that. I agree that salt doesn't hurt. I've put it in at
>> the beginning and at the end. The result was fine in both cases.
>>

>Oh yeah, forgot to mention; If yoose use salt in the soaking water,
>less salt is needed later, either before or after the beans are cooked.
>
>The salted water is discarded and the beans rinsed, but salt does
>get inside the beans as they soak, so don't add as much salt till
>you taste them. It's very hard to fix oversalted food.

I think I've always added the salt after the soaking stage. But, yeah,
it's better to be careful. You can add more but you can't take it out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 18:26:20 -0500, Hank Rogers >
> wrote:
>
>>Bruce wrote:
>>> On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 16:10:55 -0700 (PDT), "

>>> An unexpected little outburst!
>>>

>>Yoose do seem to have a Julie problem. Did yoose move to washington
>>state?

> A Julie problem?

Not sure what he means by that but you are welcome to come to dinner. I have
kidney beans!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 23:42:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> We've been having a lot of black turtle beans lately. I mean Mexican,
>>> tex-mex, southern American style black beans. I boil a kilo at a time
>>> and freeze part. All good. Except they stain the pot really badly with
>>> a dark film. Is there a good way to avoid the discoloration or to get
>>> rid of it afterwards? Thanks.

>>What kind of pot? I've never had that happen.

> A Le Creuset pot and a week ago a stainless steel one. But there were
> also dark stains on the sink and on the floor, where I spilled a bit
> of cooking water. I know about beetroot and turmeric, but I didn't
> know black beans were such a strong colourant.
>
> Maybe I should have bought the organic version

Weird!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 19:39:47 +1000, Bruce >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >We've been having a lot of black turtle beans lately. I mean Mexican,
>> >tex-mex, southern American style black beans. I boil a kilo at a time
>> >and freeze part. All good. Except they stain the pot really badly with
>> >a dark film. Is there a good way to avoid the discoloration or to get
>> >rid of it afterwards? Thanks.

>> Thanks, all. The first pot we tried was stainless steel, but it
>> stained. The second one was a Le Creuset and it stained too. I'll try
>> the bleach solution. If that doesn't help, I'll buy a pot just for
>> beans, since we have them all the time now.

> A few other thoughts here, Bruce. Are you sure that stainless
> steel pot was actually that? I've cooked black beans many times
> here. The cooking water does turn somewhat black but never had it
> stain my pot. I'm not trying to be difficult here - it's just
> never happened.
>
> How I cook them (and many other dried beans) is to soak in plenty
> of cold water the evening before I cook them. Next morning drain
> that soaking water and replace with fresh then cook until done.

Never happened to me either and I cook beans at least once a week.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 07:38:28 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, all. The first pot we tried was stainless steel, but it
>>> stained. The second one was a Le Creuset and it stained too. I'll try
>>> the bleach solution. If that doesn't help, I'll buy a pot just for
>>> beans, since we have them all the time now.

>>A few other thoughts here, Bruce. Are you sure that stainless
>>steel pot was actually that? I've cooked black beans many times
>>here. The cooking water does turn somewhat black but never had it
>>stain my pot. I'm not trying to be difficult here - it's just
>>never happened.
>>
>>How I cook them (and many other dried beans) is to soak in plenty
>>of cold water the evening before I cook them. Next morning drain
>>that soaking water and replace with fresh then cook until done.

> That's what I did too. I don't know if soaking them really makes them
> easier to digest, but all help is welcome I think we're also
> getting used to them after 2 weeks of having them for breakfast.

I remember watching an episode of Jacques Pepin and he said never to soak
black beans overnight because they will start to ferment. He uses the quick
soak method.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Bruce wrote:
>>
>> I just had them again. I can't believe how good they are. Boiled in
>> water with a bit of salt until soft enough and later briefly fried in
>> olive oil.

> I'll have to try some that way.
> I normally just cook them for burrito filling.
>
> One question:
> Do you fry them whole in the oil or
> maybe just slightly smash them first?
> I would be tempted to do that just until
> they broke open a nip but not completely mashed.
>
> Just like a "smashed potato" finished off
> in hot oil.

I use a potato masher on mine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 19:40:47 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>A few other thoughts here, Bruce. Are you sure that stainless
>>>steel pot was actually that? I've cooked black beans many times
>>>here. The cooking water does turn somewhat black but never had it
>>>stain my pot. I'm not trying to be difficult here - it's just
>>>never happened.
>>>
>>>How I cook them (and many other dried beans) is to soak in plenty
>>>of cold water the evening before I cook them. Next morning drain
>>>that soaking water and replace with fresh then cook until done.

>> That's what I did too. I don't know if soaking them really makes them
>> easier to digest, but all help is welcome I think we're also
>> getting used to them after 2 weeks of having them for breakfast.

>I remember watching an episode of Jacques Pepin and he said never to soak
>black beans overnight because they will start to ferment. He uses the quick
>soak method.

How short is that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 19:35:56 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 18:26:20 -0500, Hank Rogers >
>> wrote:

>>>Yoose do seem to have a Julie problem. Did yoose move to washington
>>>state?

>> A Julie problem?

>Not sure what he means by that but you are welcome to come to dinner. I have
>kidney beans!

Lol, thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 19:40:47 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> That's what I did too. I don't know if soaking them really makes them
>>> easier to digest, but all help is welcome I think we're also
>>> getting used to them after 2 weeks of having them for breakfast.

>>I remember watching an episode of Jacques Pepin and he said never to soak
>>black beans overnight because they will start to ferment. He uses the
>>quick
>>soak method.

> How short is that?

One hour but with that method, bring to a boil and boil one minute for black
beans. Then turn off the heat. Kidney beans require 2 minutes of boiling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 23:22:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 19:40:47 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>I remember watching an episode of Jacques Pepin and he said never to soak
>>>black beans overnight because they will start to ferment. He uses the
>>>quick
>>>soak method.

>> How short is that?

>One hour but with that method, bring to a boil and boil one minute for black
>beans. Then turn off the heat. Kidney beans require 2 minutes of boiling.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 6:07:58 PM UTC-4, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
> > On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 14:44:29 -0500, Hank Rogers >
> > wrote:

> >> I've heard that soaking is only to reduce cooking time and/or
> >> produce less farts. Could be a n old wives tale though.

> > It won't hurt, so why not, unless you're in a hurry?
> >

> Yep, I always soaked beans, but not lentils, etc.
>
> Also, If yoose add anything acidic, like tomatoes, don't put them in
> until the beans are tender. Salt doesn't seem to be a problem, but
> acids make them tough.

However, if you're making a dish where you don't want the beans to
burst open (like a salad), adding acid at the beginning will help
prevent it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 03:14:10 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 6:07:58 PM UTC-4, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:

>> > It won't hurt, so why not, unless you're in a hurry?
>> >

>> Yep, I always soaked beans, but not lentils, etc.
>>
>> Also, If yoose add anything acidic, like tomatoes, don't put them in
>> until the beans are tender. Salt doesn't seem to be a problem, but
>> acids make them tough.

>However, if you're making a dish where you don't want the beans to
>burst open (like a salad), adding acid at the beginning will help
>prevent it.

I boil them without acid. They don't burst open. Then I fry them in
olive oil. 1 in 30 may burst open if I'm a bit rough with them. I'm
only talking about black beans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 19:43:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> I just had them again. I can't believe how good they are. Boiled in
>>> water with a bit of salt until soft enough and later briefly fried in
>>> olive oil.

>> I'll have to try some that way.
>> I normally just cook them for burrito filling.
>>
>> One question:
>> Do you fry them whole in the oil or
>> maybe just slightly smash them first?
>> I would be tempted to do that just until
>> they broke open a nip but not completely mashed.
>>
>> Just like a "smashed potato" finished off
>> in hot oil.

>I use a potato masher on mine.

I use a potato masher that lookes like a potato ricer.. i mash them in
the same pan I just used to fry pork chops. I posted a picture of my
refried black beans years ago but all the non cooks said it looked
like shit... little do the noncooks realize that all mashed beans
litterally look like shit.

Anyways cookware can stain from hard water... hard water will leave a
coating same as it does on toilets, tubs, shower heads and faucets,
with cookware it leaves a rough coating for black bean color to adhere
to. We have a water softener, it saves on having expensive plumber
bills. I've resolved all bean cooking problems by switching from dry
beans to canned beans. Canned beans are perfectly cooked, are a big
time saver, and cost less than dry beans, simply buy them in larger
size cans and or by the case and the price goes way down... the 40
ounce cans are perfect for yoose beaners. I keep very few dry beans
in the pantry, I keep dried peas and naturally some Navy beans. We
buy Goya black beans by the case. My wife grew up on black beans and
rice, that's almost the national dish of Belize... only thing missing
is gibnut. We like some beans in a tossed salad, also marinated three
beans salad, we both like garbansos in a tossed salad or as a
component in marinated beans. Canned beans are always ready and easy
to rinse... I don't rinse for refried beans and soups. Canned beans
save money but mostly they save a lot of kitchen time and cooking fuel
The last time I looked at the dry beans display I got sticker shock.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > I think it's "Songbird" here that grows many kinds of
> > beans. She could be a good source of info.

> "he"

noted

> i haven't sorted my list yet so i'm not sure how
> many i've planted this year - looks to be about 50
> different kinds.

Are they all for you (and family) or do you sell commercially?

> we have about an acre of gardens, that's more than
> enough to keep two people busy (along with everything
> else).

My grandparents (my mother's parents) had 9 kids. Her father was
a lifetime coal miner back before coal miners unionized so they
were poor folks. They had about an acre of land to grow all their
own vegetables that were processed and home canned. Enough to
last a year until next season.

They also had 2 large apple trees, chickens, a milk cow. Grandpa
hunted for most of their meat. I don't know how they did all that
but they managed. I guess you learn to live within your means.
They always had plenty of food for family and visitors. I do
remember that gramma spent all of her time in the kitchen, either
processing garden food or cooking. That was her entire life other
than church every sunday morning.

Good mountain folk, they were and very fond memories. As a young
kid, I got to spend alot of time with them in the summers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> songbird wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:
>> > I think it's "Songbird" here that grows many kinds of
>> > beans. She could be a good source of info.

>> "he"

> noted

thanks, i don't really much care since i'm just some
dog on the internet (on the internet nobody knows you're
a dog (or god if you're dyslexic)).

>> i haven't sorted my list yet so i'm not sure how
>> many i've planted this year - looks to be about 50
>> different kinds.

> Are they all for you (and family) or do you sell commercially?

most of them i grow for us to eat, since i really
like beans i also do selections from the out-crosses
that show up over the years, so i have trials/experiments
from that, i also trade varieties with people and this
past year i went to my first seed swap and that was fun
so i'm growing more this year so i have a better
selection for giving away this coming seed swap and do
grow outs for someone else:

http://www.abeancollectorswindow.com/

he has a large collection and can't grow them all in
his gardens so he will send people beans to grow and
then at the end of the season you send some back to him.
it works out pretty well in that you can pick up some
new varieties for the cost of postage (sending them
back).

>> we have about an acre of gardens, that's more than
>> enough to keep two people busy (along with everything
>> else).

> My grandparents (my mother's parents) had 9 kids. Her father was
> a lifetime coal miner back before coal miners unionized so they
> were poor folks. They had about an acre of land to grow all their
> own vegetables that were processed and home canned. Enough to
> last a year until next season.

i grew up helping Mom can and also learned how to
cook and do everything else too. i've always liked
plants, gardens, biology, etc. at present i do live
with Mom again so it is fun. we do about 100 quarts
of dill pickles and another 100 quarts of tomatoes
each year (we've downsized some for tomatoes as we
used to do 200-300 quarts some years). i also used
to make pickled beets and three been salad, but we
don't do those any more because nobody eats them as
much as i was making and i'm trying to not have as
much sugar. strawberries are my other big crop.

> They also had 2 large apple trees, chickens, a milk cow. Grandpa
> hunted for most of their meat. I don't know how they did all that
> but they managed. I guess you learn to live within your means.

i live a very simple life. i'm pretty close to
being a hermit these days.

> They always had plenty of food for family and visitors. I do
> remember that gramma spent all of her time in the kitchen, either
> processing garden food or cooking. That was her entire life other
> than church every sunday morning.

that is similar to my Grandma. if you visited her
she would put food in front of you bits at a time and
as long as you sat at the table she'd keep bringing it.
even after you got up and went into another room she'd
often bring you snacks. Mom learned most of her cooking
from Grandma so we have all the family recipes for the
Italian foods she made. large family, Grandma was
smart, her first child was a girl, the next nine were
all boys.

> Good mountain folk, they were and very fond memories. As a young
> kid, I got to spend alot of time with them in the summers.

they had the family farm (my Grandma's parents) where
all the kids were expected to help out. eventually they
sold it so some college could have a place. i spent only
a little time there as we moved away when i was rather
young. Grandma lived in the city. we did visit her a
fair bit.

songbird

Black beans Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 42 28-11-2018 06:20 AM
Black beans Brice General Cooking 9 13-10-2018 12:24 PM
How remove black tea stain notbob Tea 6 27-08-2015 03:44 PM
Black Beans - Cuban Black Bean Soup Langerhans Diabetic 0 10-07-2005 09:04 PM
Black soy beans Katra General Cooking 13 03-06-2005 10:13 AM