Old 14-06-2019, 03:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Summer Grilling

My old BBQ was starting show its age. The doors had broken years ago. It
had very uneven heat. When I cleaned it out the other day I noted that
two of the three burners were cracked and the other had a lot of holes
plugged with metal that was flaking from the inside. The grills were
flaking badly. Time for a new one. I went out yesterday and bought a
nice Weber propane grill.

Several people seemed surprised that I was going to assemble it myself
rather than have the store do it. When I got home, unloaded the box and
started unpacking it I began to think that would have been a good idea.
Holy cow there were a lot of parts, and they were packed for saving
space, not in any sort of order of assembly.

It took more than two hours. Once I got the base finished there were few
parts of confuse things and the instruction manual was starting to make
sense. I have to give Weber credit for making a product with parts
that fit together the way they are supposed to. Once I figured out
which part went where and the order to do them they lined up perfectly.

When it was all done I sparked her up for the smoke test. There was a
nice, even blue flame all the way along all three burners. I am looking
forward to cooking on this baby.

Old 14-06-2019, 03:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/19 8:37 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a nice grill. I would much prefer to assemble my own things
than have the store do it. You will at least know you used all the
parts and torqued everything adequately. I use a gas grill a lot. Mine
is hooked to NG. Yes Weber still makes nice products. The spark
mechanisms on all the grills I have owned don't last very long. I quit
replacing them and light with a match.
Old 14-06-2019, 04:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-14 10:58 a.m., jay wrote:

Sounds like a nice grill.┬* I would much prefer to assemble my own things
than have the store do it.┬* You will at least know you used all the
parts and torqued everything adequately. I use a gas grill a lot.

I am too damned impulsive. I should have planned ahead and had a gas
line installed and got the NG model.
I have to confess that I had two parts left over. They are just rubber
caps that should fit on a protruding bolt somewhere. It started raining
again. I will check it out late on.

Mine
is hooked to NG. Yes Weber still makes nice products.┬* The spark
mechanisms on all the grills I have owned┬* don't last very long.┬* I quit
replacing them and light with a match.

This one is battery powered so, in theory, you only have to replace
the battery. That didn't work on my old one. I did not that there was a
display rack of 5 packs of BBQ starters right next to the Weber and
Napolean demos.

Old 14-06-2019, 04:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 11:29:20 -0400, Dave Smith

On 2019-06-14 10:58 a.m., jay wrote:

Sounds like a nice grill.* I would much prefer to assemble my own things
than have the store do it.* You will at least know you used all the
parts and torqued everything adequately. I use a gas grill a lot.

I am too damned impulsive. I should have planned ahead and had a gas
line installed and got the NG model.

You can still hook it up to gas, a bulk propane tank, a fifty gallon
tank is small and will last all season, maybe two seasons, Ours is
connected to a 500 gallon tank that we use for heating and regular
cooking, but we have a 50 gallon tank that heats my small work shop.
The propane company comes to fill up the tanks and the propane costs
less than bringing your small tank to be filled.
Weber gas grills will operate on both natural gas or propane, there's
a kit to make the conversion.
Old 14-06-2019, 05:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 08:58:37 -0600, jay wrote:

snip
Sounds like a nice grill. I would much prefer to assemble my own things
than have the store do it. You will at least know you used all the
parts and torqued everything adequately. I use a gas grill a lot. Mine
is hooked to NG. Yes Weber still makes nice products. The spark
mechanisms on all the grills I have owned don't last very long. I quit
replacing them and light with a match.

I thought they were all powered by a battery?
Janet US

Old 14-06-2019, 05:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/19 10:23 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 08:58:37 -0600, jay wrote:

snip
Sounds like a nice grill. I would much prefer to assemble my own things
than have the store do it. You will at least know you used all the
parts and torqued everything adequately. I use a gas grill a lot. Mine
is hooked to NG. Yes Weber still makes nice products. The spark
mechanisms on all the grills I have owned don't last very long. I quit
replacing them and light with a match.

I thought they were all powered by a battery?
Janet US

Mine doesn't have a battery. It works great for a while and it's a bit
pricey. The battery version may be better not sure it retrofits to my
grill though.

https://www.thebbqdepot.com/lynx-rot...ignitor-12004/

It has a 5 star review from one person that hasn't had it very long. If
you don't use them often they may last a really long time. I have gone
through several prior to switching to a match.

Old 14-06-2019, 07:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2019 11:29 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

I am too damned impulsive. I should have planned ahead and had a gas
line installed and got the NG model.
I have to confess that I had two parts left over. They are just rubber
caps that should fit on a protruding bolt somewhere. It started raining
again.┬* I will check it out late on.

When our house was being built I had the option of paying a ridiculous
price for the gas line. Glad I did. Especially when I do long time
things like a brisket overnight. No more changing tanks and hauling
them to a fill station.
Old 14-06-2019, 08:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-14 2:00 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/14/2019 11:29 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

I am too damned impulsive. I should have planned ahead and had a gas
line installed and got the NG model.
I have to confess that I had two parts left over. They are just rubber
caps that should fit on a protruding bolt somewhere. It started
raining again.┬* I will check it out late on.

When our house was being built I had the option of paying a ridiculous
price for the gas line.┬* Glad I did.┬* Especially when I do long time
things like a brisket overnight.┬* No more changing tanks and hauling
them to a fill station.

When my brother moved into a house down the road he brought his old NG
BBQ and had a guy come to install the line to the patio. It was going
to cost a bundle to bring a line all the way from the main pipe to the
furnace. My brother suggested he could just tap into the line to the gas
fireplace on the wall just inside from the patio. The install said it
would not work because the line was not big enough to feed the furnace
and the BBQ. Brother pointed out that he uses the fireplace in the
winter and the BBQ in the summer and was pretty sure that he would not
be using both at the same time.

Old 14-06-2019, 08:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-14 1:06 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:
On 2019-06-14 2:00 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

A former neighbour of mine used his year-round, even when the
temperature was below -20C.
Old 14-06-2019, 08:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2019 2:36 PM, jay wrote:
On 6/14/19 11:46 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/14/2019 11:56 AM, wrote:

Weber gas grills will operate on both natural gas or propane, there's
a kit to make the conversion.

No, there is not.

┬*From the Weber web site:
Due to safety considerations, the complexity of the components
involved, as well as the level of disassembly required, we dont allow
conversions or provide conversion kits. Converting a Weber grill will
actually void the warranty on the unit and might create an unsafe
situation.

We do sell most of our gas grill models in both a propane version and
a natural gas version, so if you're planning on purchasing a new
grill, please make sure that you're selecting the appropriate model
for the fuel type you plan on using.

We are very sorry for any disappointment this may cause, but the
safety of our fans always comes first. You can read more about this in
our blog on the subject here.

Pretty sure they used to.┬* It is a very easy conversion.┬* Lawyers
probably made 'em quit.

Probably for good reason. Some folks simply aren't good DYI'ers. They
take shortcuts or don't read the directions. Or a bunch of
good-old-boys were drinking beer and someone said "Hey! Let's install
this conversion kit!

Ever heard of deep fried turkey? I used to see turkey fryers on sale at
the local hardware store. Taste of deep fried turkey aside... lawyers
got involved because idiots managed to set themselves on fire or burn
down their homes. The companies have to protect themselves from morons.

Jill
Old 14-06-2019, 08:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 10:37:18 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:

[...]

Try putting an elliptical together or a treadmill. Now those things
are a pain in the ass. They must have been like 30 bolts and they are
all different sizes, but its not like one 2 inches and the others were
4 inches. I mean like 4 bolts would be 4 inches 4 others would be 4
1/4 inches then 4 others would be 4 1/2 inches and the instructions
did not specify sizes, it came shrink wrapped on a piece of cardboard
that was lettered. When you took the shrink wrap off all the bolts
just got mixed up. That was a pain in the ass!!

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Old 14-06-2019, 08:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Some people enjoy putting stuff together. It's like doing a jigsaw puzzle except you get something useful when you're finished.
Old 14-06-2019, 10:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 9:34:37 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

I went out yesterday and bought a
nice Weber propane grill.

Several people seemed surprised that I was going to assemble it myself
rather than have the store do it. When I got home, unloaded the box and
started unpacking it I began to think that would have been a good idea.
Holy cow there were a lot of parts, and they were packed for saving
space, not in any sort of order of assembly.

It took more than two hours.

When it was all done I sparked her up for the smoke test. There was a
nice, even blue flame all the way along all three burners. I am looking
forward to cooking on this baby.

Let us know what you cook and how well your new toy performs.

I bought a Weber charcoal kettle grill about two years ago and it has a drop
down side table, wheels, lid holder, etc. Yep, about two hours to get every-
thing together and tightened, but it's a nice grill that should last me for
many, many years.