Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default US sweet corn

i got some nice sweet corn from the us. our sweet corn here in SW Ontario is harvested usually during august. i got a hard time getting my head around corn being harvested now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-12 7:18 p.m., A Moose in Love wrote:
> i got some nice sweet corn from the us. our sweet corn here in SW
> Ontario is harvested usually during august. i got a hard time
> getting my head around corn being harvested now.

Good luck with southern Ontario corn this summer. It has been way to
wet and farmers have not been able to work their fields. There is
usually a lot of sweet corn grown around here but I have not seen any
corn plants growing at any of the usual producer's farms.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 16:18:57 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love wrote:

> i got some nice sweet corn from the us. our sweet corn here in SW
> Ontario is harvested usually during august. i got a hard time
> getting my head around corn being harvested now.

The USDA just yesterday released corn forecast for July (predicting
a bad year for corn). Texas and Florida are the first ones to
harvest corn, and that isn't for another month. We have it sale
here in Texas 6/$1 this week, but its from Mexico.

https://blog.machinefinder.com/16114...-harvest-dates

I could have sworn there were two corn season in California, at
least. I used to live next across the street from the last
cornfield in Sunnyvale, "Corn palace" and I'm pretty damned sure we
stole^H^H^H^H^H could buy corn twice a year. Looks like they're
finally getting ready to bulldoze it.

https://www.svvoice.com/sunnyvales-c...r-development/

Also lived next to Olson's Cherry Farm, the last Cherry Farm, in
Sunnyvale. That got bulldoze in the 1990's

So I don't know where you got your corn. Probably from Mexico.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at 10:37:29 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 16:18:57 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love wrote:
>
> > i got some nice sweet corn from the us. our sweet corn here in SW
> > Ontario is harvested usually during august. i got a hard time
> > getting my head around corn being harvested now.

> The USDA just yesterday released corn forecast for July (predicting
> a bad year for corn). Texas and Florida are the first ones to
> harvest corn, and that isn't for another month. We have it sale
> here in Texas 6/$1 this week, but its from Mexico.
>
> https://blog.machinefinder.com/16114...-harvest-dates
>
> I could have sworn there were two corn season in California, at
> least. I used to live next across the street from the last
> cornfield in Sunnyvale, "Corn palace" and I'm pretty damned sure we
> stole^H^H^H^H^H could buy corn twice a year. Looks like they're
> finally getting ready to bulldoze it.
>
> https://www.svvoice.com/sunnyvales-c...r-development/
>
> Also lived next to Olson's Cherry Farm, the last Cherry Farm, in
> Sunnyvale. That got bulldoze in the 1990's
>
> So I don't know where you got your corn. Probably from Mexico.
>
> -sw

the package says from the usa. it could have been from eleswhere, then packaged in the us.

All about sweet corn Janet B General Cooking 1 27-07-2015 08:28 PM
Sweet Corn VegA Barbecue 2 03-07-2009 08:06 PM
Pan Seared Diver Scallops Braised in Sweet Butter with Sweet Corn and Rosemary Duckie ® Recipes 0 27-05-2006 07:45 PM
Sweet Corn Cake Cathy Leslie Recipes (moderated) 0 25-04-2006 05:01 AM