Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default anyone try elk steaks?

i found 2 packs of elk steaks at my local small supermarket. 224 grams/2 steaks for $10.99 CDN. the packs didn't say what cut they were. they were extremely lean with not hardly any fat. i was tempted to buy a pack, but since i didn't know the cut, i didn't bite. i was really surprised to find elk steaks at my local grocery store. maybe they were a sirloin cut???
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 09:36:43 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>i found 2 packs of elk steaks at my local small supermarket. 224 grams/2 steaks for $10.99 CDN. the packs didn't say what cut they were. they were extremely lean with not hardly any fat. i was tempted to buy a pack, but since i didn't know the cut, i didn't bite. i was really surprised to find elk steaks at my local grocery store. maybe they were a sirloin cut???

a lot like beef, but leaner. Not gamey as venison. I am speaking
about fresh caught animal. I have no idea what it's like from the
supermarket
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/11/2019 12:51 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 09:36:43 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> > wrote:
>
>> i found 2 packs of elk steaks at my local small supermarket. 224 grams/2 steaks for $10.99 CDN. the packs didn't say what cut they were. they were extremely lean with not hardly any fat. i was tempted to buy a pack, but since i didn't know the cut, i didn't bite. i was really surprised to find elk steaks at my local grocery store. maybe they were a sirloin cut???

> a lot like beef, but leaner. Not gamey as venison. I am speaking
> about fresh caught animal. I have no idea what it's like from the
> supermarket

Decades ago I was friends with a woman whose boyfriend went with a group
of guys from west TN to somewhere in the Dakotas (maybe?) to hunt fresh
elk. Brought back some elk steaks. She invited me over for dinner.
The elk steaks were extremely lean. She beat the hell out of them with
a mallet and then braised them, covered in liquid for hours. That's
about the only way to get them tender.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Tuesday, June 11, 2019 at 9:36:48 AM UTC-7, A Moose in Love wrote:
> i found 2 packs of elk steaks at my local small supermarket. 224 grams/2 steaks for $10.99 CDN. the packs didn't say what cut they were. they were extremely lean with not hardly any fat. i was tempted to buy a pack, but since i didn't know the cut, i didn't bite. i was really surprised to find elk steaks at my local grocery store. maybe they were a sirloin cut???

You can sous vide elk or any game meat and have it come out fork tender and at whatever degree of doneness you like. Otherwise you risk shoe leather.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 13:21:08 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/11/2019 12:51 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 09:36:43 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> i found 2 packs of elk steaks at my local small supermarket. 224 grams/2 steaks for $10.99 CDN. the packs didn't say what cut they were. they were extremely lean with not hardly any fat. i was tempted to buy a pack, but since i didn't know the cut, i didn't bite. i was really surprised to find elk steaks at my local grocery store. maybe they were a sirloin cut???

>> a lot like beef, but leaner. Not gamey as venison. I am speaking
>> about fresh caught animal. I have no idea what it's like from the
>> supermarket
>>

>Decades ago I was friends with a woman whose boyfriend went with a group
>of guys from west TN to somewhere in the Dakotas (maybe?) to hunt fresh
>elk. Brought back some elk steaks. She invited me over for dinner.
>The elk steaks were extremely lean. She beat the hell out of them with
>a mallet and then braised them, covered in liquid for hours. That's
>about the only way to get them tender.
>
>Jill

never saw anyone prepare elk steak that way. We just treated it like
beef steak. Maybe she was using a lesser cut of meat. Or she just
didn't know anything about game meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/11/2019 3:03 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 13:21:08 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 6/11/2019 12:51 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 09:36:43 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love

>>> a lot like beef, but leaner. Not gamey as venison. I am speaking
>>> about fresh caught animal. I have no idea what it's like from the
>>> supermarket
>>>

>> Decades ago I was friends with a woman whose boyfriend went with a group
>> of guys from west TN to somewhere in the Dakotas (maybe?) to hunt fresh
>> elk. Brought back some elk steaks. She invited me over for dinner.
>> The elk steaks were extremely lean. She beat the hell out of them with
>> a mallet and then braised them, covered in liquid for hours. That's
>> about the only way to get them tender.
>>
>> Jill

> never saw anyone prepare elk steak that way. We just treated it like
> beef steak. Maybe she was using a lesser cut of meat. Or she just
> didn't know anything about game meat.

I have no idea. It could have been anything. I didn't believe the
moose roast, either.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 13:03:17 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 13:21:08 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>On 6/11/2019 12:51 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 09:36:43 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love

>>> a lot like beef, but leaner. Not gamey as venison. I am speaking
>>> about fresh caught animal. I have no idea what it's like from the
>>> supermarket
>>>

>>Decades ago I was friends with a woman whose boyfriend went with a group
>>of guys from west TN to somewhere in the Dakotas (maybe?) to hunt fresh
>>elk. Brought back some elk steaks. She invited me over for dinner.
>>The elk steaks were extremely lean. She beat the hell out of them with
>>a mallet and then braised them, covered in liquid for hours. That's
>>about the only way to get them tender.
>>
>>Jill

>never saw anyone prepare elk steak that way. We just treated it like
>beef steak. Maybe she was using a lesser cut of meat. Or she just
>didn't know anything about game meat.

We had them once and treated them as we would any other steak. Moose
is superior to elk IMO.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 17:16:47 -0300, wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 13:03:17 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 13:21:08 -0400, jmcquown >
>>wrote:

>>>Decades ago I was friends with a woman whose boyfriend went with a group
>>>of guys from west TN to somewhere in the Dakotas (maybe?) to hunt fresh
>>>elk. Brought back some elk steaks. She invited me over for dinner.
>>>The elk steaks were extremely lean. She beat the hell out of them with
>>>a mallet and then braised them, covered in liquid for hours. That's
>>>about the only way to get them tender.
>>>
>>>Jill

>>never saw anyone prepare elk steak that way. We just treated it like
>>beef steak. Maybe she was using a lesser cut of meat. Or she just
>>didn't know anything about game meat.

>We had them once and treated them as we would any other steak. Moose
>is superior to elk IMO.

agreed. Bear is pretty fatty but sweet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/11/2019 7:42 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 17:16:47 -0300, wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 13:03:17 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:

>>> never saw anyone prepare elk steak that way. We just treated it like
>>> beef steak. Maybe she was using a lesser cut of meat. Or she just
>>> didn't know anything about game meat.

>> We had them once and treated them as we would any other steak. Moose
>> is superior to elk IMO.

> agreed. Bear is pretty fatty but sweet.

I read sometime back that bear can be loaded with trichinosis so should
be cooked well done. I guess any wild meat could too.

https://honest-food.net/on-trichinosis-in-wild-game/
Bears appear to be heavily infected by the parasite, so much so that you
should assume the meat is infected. In that CDC study, 41 of the 84
total cases of trichinosis reported in America between 2008 and 2012
were from bear meat. That is still a tiny fraction of the thousands of
people who eat bear every year, but its enough to warrant further
discussion.

Some bad news: There is not just one trichinella parasite. There are
many. Here in North America we have five major species: Trichinae
spiralis, which is the most common and hangs out with pigs for the most
part; then T. nativa, T-6 and T. murrelli, which are almost always found
in wild game €” chiefly bears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 20:48:15 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 6/11/2019 7:42 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>> agreed. Bear is pretty fatty but sweet.
>>

>I read sometime back that bear can be loaded with trichinosis so should
>be cooked well done. I guess any wild meat could too.
>
>https://honest-food.net/on-trichinosis-in-wild-game/
>Bears appear to be heavily infected by the parasite, so much so that you
>should assume the meat is infected. In that CDC study, 41 of the 84
>total cases of trichinosis reported in America between 2008 and 2012
>were from bear meat. That is still a tiny fraction of the thousands of
>people who eat bear every year, but it’s enough to warrant further
>discussion.
>
>Some bad news: There is not just one trichinella parasite. There are
>many. Here in North America we have five major species: Trichinae
>spiralis, which is the most common and hangs out with pigs for the most
>part; then T. nativa, T-6 and T. murrelli, which are almost always found
>in wild game — chiefly bears.

The animal strikes back!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-11 3:03 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>> Decades ago I was friends with a woman whose boyfriend went with a group
>> of guys from west TN to somewhere in the Dakotas (maybe?) to hunt fresh
>> elk. Brought back some elk steaks. She invited me over for dinner.
>> The elk steaks were extremely lean. She beat the hell out of them with
>> a mallet and then braised them, covered in liquid for hours. That's
>> about the only way to get them tender.
>>
>> Jill

> never saw anyone prepare elk steak that way. We just treated it like
> beef steak. Maybe she was using a lesser cut of meat. Or she just
> didn't know anything about game meat.

Some people just can't cook or don't know what to do with come cuts. One
time when I was visiting my grandmother my aunt was preparing supper.
She had some decent looking lamb chops that she started cooking. It was
a long time ago but she sort of seared them and added some water to the
pan and put a top on and was planning to eat them in about an hour. I
just couldn't imagine them being good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 10:58:44 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-06-11 3:03 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>>> Decades ago I was friends with a woman whose boyfriend went with a group
>>> of guys from west TN to somewhere in the Dakotas (maybe?) to hunt fresh
>>> elk. Brought back some elk steaks. She invited me over for dinner.
>>> The elk steaks were extremely lean. She beat the hell out of them with
>>> a mallet and then braised them, covered in liquid for hours. That's
>>> about the only way to get them tender.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> never saw anyone prepare elk steak that way. We just treated it like
>> beef steak. Maybe she was using a lesser cut of meat. Or she just
>> didn't know anything about game meat.

>Some people just can't cook or don't know what to do with come cuts. One
>time when I was visiting my grandmother my aunt was preparing supper.
>She had some decent looking lamb chops that she started cooking. It was
>a long time ago but she sort of seared them and added some water to the
>pan and put a top on and was planning to eat them in about an hour. I
>just couldn't imagine them being good.

that's the way a lot of people were brought up to cook. Mom and
grandma did it that way.

Skirt steaks and flank steaks [email protected] General Cooking 103 29-05-2009 06:35 PM
Steaks Joseph Barbecue 18 12-04-2008 08:22 PM
Steaks? Tess General Cooking 23 21-12-2004 05:53 PM
Rib steaks Bob (this one) General Cooking 5 04-08-2004 07:59 AM