Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I just went out and harvested some first basils!

Can't wait until the TOMATOES start coming in! SOON!

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Front Yard Gardener!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 8:40:20 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> Can't wait until the TOMATOES start coming in! SOON!
>
> John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Front Yard Gardener!

Cheese, Cabot Havarti with dill!

First bite! Mmmm! Havarti GOOD! Dill and basil GOOD!

Next bite...

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 18:40:15 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

I'm actually making Pesto tonight. I love Basil and it's many
varieties, which are quite distinct from each other and suit different
dishes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 9:40:20 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
> Can't wait until the TOMATOES start coming in! SOON!

I've been plucking basil for a week or two.

If I were growing tomatoes, I would have put them in the ground a
week or two ago. Michigan tomato season is August and September,
unless you're willing to mess around with cloches and stuff to
get them in earlier.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 5:16:30 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 9:40:20 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
> > Can't wait until the TOMATOES start coming in! SOON!

> I've been plucking basil for a week or two.
>
> If I were growing tomatoes, I would have put them in the ground a
> week or two ago. Michigan tomato season is August and September,
> unless you're willing to mess around with cloches and stuff to
> get them in earlier.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I've got tomatoes, peppers, basil, flowers, one spearmint plant and some assorted flowers in early, two weeks maybe. And my pepper plants are already growing a few peppers!

I LOVE eating from my own garden! Something soulful about it!! Gifts from Mother Gaia with a little help called agriculture! :-)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 8:39:19 AM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 5:16:30 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 9:40:20 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
> > > Can't wait until the TOMATOES start coming in! SOON!

> > I've been plucking basil for a week or two.
> >
> > If I were growing tomatoes, I would have put them in the ground a
> > week or two ago. Michigan tomato season is August and September,
> > unless you're willing to mess around with cloches and stuff to
> > get them in earlier.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> I've got tomatoes, peppers, basil, flowers, one spearmint plant and some assorted flowers in early, two weeks maybe. And my pepper plants are already growing a few peppers!
>
> I LOVE eating from my own garden! Something soulful about it!! Gifts from Mother Gaia with a little help called agriculture! :-)
>
> John Kuthe...

In addition to basil, I've got chives, nasturtiums, spearmint and
parsley. Nasturtiums do double duty, being pretty and having
edible flowers.

The garlic will be ready to harvest in a few weeks. I planted it last
fall for June/July harvest.

Time for fattoush soon.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 18:40:15 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>Can't wait until the TOMATOES start coming in! SOON!
>
>John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Front Yard Gardener!

Dude you are a bit late with the basil, I have harvested enough to
make pesto twice now, and then harvested more enough to make another
batch of pesto.

I planted my basil in late Feb., started harvest in early April

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Jun 2019 16:15:50 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 18:40:15 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:
>
>I'm actually making Pesto tonight. I love Basil and it's many
>varieties, which are quite distinct from each other and suit different
>dishes.

Really? I grow sweet, pesto, and lettuce leaf basils... I find they
all pretty much taste the same I just mix them all into a pesto

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Jun 2019 03:16:27 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 9:40:20 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
>> Can't wait until the TOMATOES start coming in! SOON!

>I've been plucking basil for a week or two.

you should not pluck basil leaf by leaf you should cut the stem below
the top leaves but just above the next pair.. With any luck it will
create 2 new stems and you will have doubled your plant size

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Jun 2019 05:39:14 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 5:16:30 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 9:40:20 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
>> > Can't wait until the TOMATOES start coming in! SOON!

>> I've been plucking basil for a week or two.
>>
>> If I were growing tomatoes, I would have put them in the ground a
>> week or two ago. Michigan tomato season is August and September,
>> unless you're willing to mess around with cloches and stuff to
>> get them in earlier.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>I've got tomatoes, peppers, basil, flowers, one spearmint plant and some assorted flowers in early, two weeks maybe. And my pepper plants are already growing a few peppers!
>
>I LOVE eating from my own garden! Something soulful about it!! Gifts from Mother Gaia with a little help called agriculture! :-)
>
>John Kuthe...

I would recommend chives, they are so easy to grow and are a very
hearty plant. They grow fairly fast and they are great on anything as
a garnish or as an ingredient such as on a sour cream and chives baked
potato.

Also try garlic chives. Also very good. I have had the same chives and
garlic chives plants for several years

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 1:47:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 18:40:15 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
> >Can't wait until the TOMATOES start coming in! SOON!
> >
> >John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Front Yard Gardener!

> Dude you are a bit late with the basil, I have harvested enough to
> make pesto twice now, and then harvested more enough to make another
> batch of pesto.
>
> I planted my basil in late Feb., started harvest in early April

I don't know about St. Louis, but in February the ground in Michigan
was covered with snow and frozen solid down about 40 inches.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 1:53:17 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jun 2019 03:16:27 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 9:40:20 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
> >> Can't wait until the TOMATOES start coming in! SOON!

> >I've been plucking basil for a week or two.

> you should not pluck basil leaf by leaf you should cut the stem below
> the top leaves but just above the next pair.. With any luck it will
> create 2 new stems and you will have doubled your plant size

That is, in fact, what I do.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In Sat, 8 Jun 2019 11:26:18 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 1:47:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 18:40:15 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Can't wait until the TOMATOES start coming in! SOON!
>> >
>> >John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Front Yard Gardener!

>> Dude you are a bit late with the basil, I have harvested enough to
>> make pesto twice now, and then harvested more enough to make another
>> batch of pesto.
>>
>> I planted my basil in late Feb., started harvest in early April

>I don't know about St. Louis, but in February the ground in Michigan
>was covered with snow and frozen solid down about 40 inches.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I guess there is one good reason to live in south Louisiana.... early
planting season. With all of the things kuthe likes to brag about I am
very surprised he does not have a green house that is heated by
electricity so he can grow year round.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>On Sat, 08 Jun 2019 16:15:50 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 18:40:15 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:
>>>
>>>I'm actually making Pesto tonight. I love Basil and it's many
>>>varieties, which are quite distinct from each other and suit different
>>>dishes.

>>Really?

>Yep.
>
>> I grow sweet, pesto, and lettuce leaf basils... I find they
>>all pretty much taste the same I just mix them all into a pesto

> For normal Pesto you'd use a sweet Basil, whereas in Thai cooking
>you'd use holy basil (not Thai Basil) to make Krapao, for example.

Krapao? That word might trigger dsi1.